Forums 2021 Summer Courses Writing-Year567-TueThur-0900

Viewing 42 reply threads
  • Author
      VMWEdu
      Keymaster
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 1

In our first lesson together, we focused on the genre of dystopia, thinking about how to analyse various authors’ writing and envisaging of dystopian societies.  The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help write the homework that will be set in our next lesson. It also contains our work on analysing key passages from four famous dystopian novels, our work that we completed on defining dystopia and our thoughts on how dystopian fiction extends upon current social anxieties. The students were absolutely fantastic today, I was really impressed by their work and thought that their ability to sink their teeth into what is a very complicated and often difficult to comprehend genre was amazing. Their ideas on what their own dystopias could focus on were fantastic and they also analysed the passages given to them beautifully, picking out some great quotes as evidence. Excellent work today everyone, really well done! 🙂

Here is the video we watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a6kbU88wu0

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 2

In our second lesson together, we completed our work on the genre of dystopia, thinking about how to use everything we had learnt so far to help us dive into writing dystopian fiction.  The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help write the homework. It also contains our work on the conventions of dystopia, the class’s ideas for features of a dystopian society, our work on dystopia vs. utopia and our thoughts on finding dystopian historical societies to help envisage fictional worlds. Slide 10 contains some prompts that the students can use for inspiration in their own writing. Everyone worked fantastically today, I was particularly impressed with their knowledge and ability to speak in historical terms about dystopia, their enthusiasm for the subject and their creativity and originality. Gorgeous work everyone, keep it up! 🙂

Here is that video I recommended on using dystopian language: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZph5bXQAzg

Homework 

Homework

Attachments:
      HarryL
      Participant

By Harry Liu

It’s 2079, and all human beings can’t do without artificial intelligence. If you want to go out, just make an appointment, and a driverless car will stop at your door immediately. If you are sick, you can see a robot doctor on the screen at home doing the examination for you. There are almost no people in the supermarket because people shop online. The postman has also been replaced by robots.

It was a sunny morning. Harry came to the school in the driverless school bus. At the school gate, he entered the school through the face recognition system.

He’s five years old, and he is an exuberant and imaginative child. He’s in year 1 class. All the teachers in the school are robots. Robot management of the school is accurate, rigorous, but very rigid. Everything in the school is in accordance with the procedures. Harry’s first class this morning was painting. The robot teacher asked everyone to draw a picture about their favorite animals. Painting is something Harry likes very much and is good at. He picked up the electronic pen confidently and drew on the computer. After a period of time, the teacher came to his desk and checked his painting. The teacher chide Harry: you’re not right. Why do you draw all the animals in blue? Have you ever seen a blue horse? Have you ever seen a blue tiger? There’s no animal you drew in my brain system. Your painting doesn’t meet my requirements. You have to redraw. Harry cried bitterly. In fact, he painted very well, except for the teacher’s wrong color.
      After returning home, Harry told his parents about his painting at school today. He paraphrase sadly: I like blue. I have seen blue ponies and tigers in my dreams. Why can’t I paint them blue? Mother said: in the robot teacher’s brain, there are no blue horses and blue tigers. Next time, if you want the teacher to praise you, you can’t draw whatever you want. You should draw according to the robot’s thinking. Little Harry cried. He didn’t like robot teacher any more. He wanted a human teacher so that he could use his imagination to draw.

Artificial intelligence is not all good, it will also bring trouble and confusion to human beings.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Harry,

Imaginative work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Amber
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you so much for the scrumptious lesson! 🙂

Have a nice weekend!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Amber,

You’re welcome, glad you enjoyed it!

Superb work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Maria woke to hear the sound of gentle rippling waves. She felt bemused. How could she be at the beach? Yawning, she sluggishly fumbled in her dishevelled cupboard for her clothes. As she searched, questions flooded into her head, oozing into every nook or cranny they could find.

A few minutes later, Maria was all dressed and stumbled towards the stairs. She was astonished. The sea had risen so much that it had reached the land. Floating peacefully on the water was a figure. Maria gathered that it was unconscious as it did not move by itself. Maria doubtfully stepped closer and peered down. She spied obscure shapes lying, lifeless, on the ground. It made her feel ineffably helpless as she thought the bodies were her beloved family’s remains. An unusual smell wafted through the air. Suddenly, Maria realized that it was the palatable smell of the bread that her stalwart servant was baking. “It must be sodden and trodden!” she joked to no one in particular. It lightened her spirits a little but she still felt utterly helpless.

Soon, after minutes of contemplating on how she would get out and if she would rescue the unconscious figure, Maria realized that she was extremely uninterested, however much she had loved her family. She plodded up the stairs, dawdling on each step until she reached the landing. She darted to her window like dogs were chasing her and gazed outside. Water covered the path, soaking the plants and drowning the people. The grasslands were drenched. Fires were smothered. Even the most pre-eminent, most surpassing buildings and monuments were demolished, leaving nothing but deserted scaffolding and deadly shards of glass. Maria heard distant cries for help.

Her mood grew fractious. “Why didn’t we act?” she demanded, her face red and livid, “we had plenty of time! Now look at what happened!” Her tirade extended until her throat was raw. Although she had stopped, she had more to say. She might be idle, short-tempered and lacked clemency but she was a real activist.

Maria died ten days later by drowning in the horrific depths of the water and from starvation.

“Every single person has been confirmed dead in South Chile, South Argentina, South Australia and South New Zealand!” boomed a raucous voice from Nina’s TV. She was watching the news and couldn’t be less surprised. She was intelligent and her beauty was bewitching. She knew everything, or to be precise: almost everything, while she had the daftest ever brother, Niger. Nina lived in Africa, which was parched from the heat, but at least it wasn’t drenched in water. At the moment she heard this news, she made up her mind that she could no longer comply the news and she would solve the problem. When Nina had decided something, she was stubborn and wouldn’t change her mind, no matter what you do.

So Nina was on a mission to stop climate change. But will she manage???

Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

Fantastic work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Junming
      Participant

Dear Beth,

What an amazing lesson! Here’s my homework.

Happy week-end,

Johnny

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Johnny,

Glad you enjoyed the lesson!

Dynamic work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Mina
      Participant

Thanks for the lessons Beth! Have a lovely weekend!😘😘😘

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Mina,

Stunning work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
          Mina
          Participant

Here is the correction for the homework this week.

Attachments:
      SofiaL
      Participant

People are scared of others being good but we have to face it in some day don’t we so this is a world when everyone is better than you and you are just the last person the person that is not good at everything you just need to bare it there is no chance that you can defend or in other words you can’t be as good as everybody else.
      Once there was a world where everybody is better than you. Our main character Poppy transferred to this country. Poppy is a girl that has very strict parent, she was always the best in her parent eyes and in other’s eyes, but now she met a girl from the country where everyone better than others, called Penelope she was not as perfect as Poppy but because she was more creative than Poppy, she was not smart as Poppy but had her own ideas. Poppy’s actions her language her thoughts did not sound like a girl’s thought it sounded like from a philosopher’s her actions and decisions were like her parents because she was too strict. Back to the storyline. At first one of poppy’s classmate did somethings bad and blamed it on Poppy. From that moment Poppy was not perfect she was not the best, and because of that she was depressed by the fact that she was not a good person. There for the transfer begins. After when she arrived to the planet she discovered that she was not the best she was not even a normal student by her shock she was the least. And in that world every year the government or the teacher in law would test them and give them a qualifying tournament.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Sophia,

Some great work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Ern
      Participant

Blood oozed down Jack’s back as he crawled along the broken pebble footpath. The hole in the sky was opening, he was getting closer. He had to make it. A flame appeared through the gaps in the trees, it was impossible to see! In a split second of fire, that blue circle of light started to fade, crumbling into a world of nothingness. The obscure flame had destroyed on of the rarest things on the Earth. His team grumbled as they moved on, to seek out another ball of light. The green one. Jack’s stalwart and auspicious wolf howled with rage and anger. Tom started to rebuke the flame and said a very rude and acerbic paraphrase he made up himself. They crawled on. Jack thought that something must be conducting the flame.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Ern,

Wonderful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      CynthiaL
      Participant

The government believe it is auspicious to have the chips so they coaxed the technology company to create a chip with programs that can manipulate robots to work for people. Abundant numbers of robots were created. The engineer implanted a chip into the robot’s brain. It was successful and the technology company and government decided to continue implanting chips into other robots’ brain. The more they made the more intelligent the robots became.  Human became exuberant and ambitious after great success. However, they were not satisfied and still thought the progress was meagre. The programs were kept developed until it got out of control, thanks to the berefting the proper supervision from the government.  The robots that were chipped became erudite without knowing by human. The robots started to make their own chips and implanting in the humans’ brain turning them into robots and being under the robots’ control. The whole world was banned. Human lost their memories, their feelings and were deployed to work and hurt each other.
      An army of  human-robot was built and trained to more chips into human’s brain. The robots went to  U.S where there were the largest population to get more human turning into robots. Ultimately, the robots conquered the U.S. The countries on the earth were occupied by robots one after another, the whole world were taken over by robots.
      Only one family living in the U.S was still human. They are Mitchells, the survivors.  Ben Mitchell was a very intelligent boy who were specialized in programing. Mum and Dad were all caught and implanted chips turning into robots. He vowed to revise the program in order to save the whole world.  Sally Mitchell, Ben’s sister , was an medical scientist. She attempted to discover the medicine that could be used to restore people’s memory. The fight just began.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Cynthia,

Gorgeous work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Eva
      Participant

Dear Beth,

I don’t know if you can still see my homework but I no longer can. So I resent it.

Thank you

The Cube

Ch.1

The construction of the Cube went smoothly, it only took a mere eight month. Even though the Cube was ineffable, I couldn’t help but wonder why our leader wanted to build something like this. Now that I think of it, the leader himself is surrounded by the obscure aura, no one has ever seen him before. These thoughts sent a shiver down my spine. I vividly remembered all the death traps that were designed to be put inside the Cube: Arrows that can cut you into thousands of pieces; floors that heat up until you are burnt alive; water that floods rooms to drown you, and many more.

That day walking home, I felt my heart thumping against my chest violently. I didn’t know why but I felt scared and helpless, as if something bad is going to happen. The last ever message my father sent me was, “help”, before he disappeared and lost contact. That night was my seventeenth birthday and I remember my dad talking on the phone with someone called Charlie about being invited to participate in “game of the Cube”. If I had inherited something from my dad, it was the stubborness. Ever since I was three, he told me to be kind and speak up for other people when I see unfairness. Well, it has been something that I kept on doing. Even though every speech I made, turned out languishing. Just as these thoughts occoured in my mind, a throbbing pain exploded in my head sending me to my knees. A cold mechanical voice echoed in my brain. The same voice I have been hearing since the night of my seventeenth birthday. “ Why fight back when you can just wait for fait to decide your destiny? Why fight back when you know you are going to end up dead? It isn’t the old world any more. Surely you must know that. That was your last chance, Benjamin, await fait to decide whether you are still worthy to exist in this world.”

Then a flash blinded my eyes, and before I knew it, I was in a little room with concrete walls. I wanted to scream, but my voice went haorse. The voice was right, my life is now comepletely in the hands of fait.

I was in the Cube.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Eva,

I’ve already attached your feedback to the version you put on the other forum, but I’ll attach it here as well so it’s easier to find.

Fabulous work, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      BobQZ
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Please see the attachment for Sephi’s last week homework.

Kind regards

Sephi

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Sephi,

Super work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 3

In our third lesson together, we focused on the genre of the gothic, thinking about how to analyse various authors’ gothic writing and looking at the different way in which the gothic is presented.  The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help write the homework that will be set in our next lesson. It also contains our work on analysing key passages from four famous gothic novels, our work that we completed on defining gothic fiction and our thoughts on how gothic fiction relates to dystopian fiction. Everyone worked excellently today, and thought very deeply about the different lens through which gothic elements could be reflected. They came up with some great examples of gothic fiction and were able to analyse the extracts and books they were given beautifully, really pulling out the key conventions of the genre. Amazing work everyone, keep it up! 🙂

Here is the video defining the gothic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4cIFitYYNo

Homework

Vocab

Here are today’s extracts:

To Kill a Mockingbird: https://www.educationquizzes.com/gcse/english-literature/to-kill-a-mockingbird-extract-1/

Wuthering Heights: https://www.penguinrandomhouse.ca/books/286389/wuthering-heights-by-emily-bronte/9780141040356/excerpt

Jekyll and Hyde: https://www.penguinrandomhouse.ca/books/173178/dr-jekyll-and-mr-hyde-by-robert-louis-stevenson/9780679405382/excerpt

Dracula: https://www.falingepark.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/5.-Dracula.pdf

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 4

In our fourth lesson together, we continued our work on the genre of the gothic, thinking about how to use all we had learnt about gothic writing in our own work.  The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help write the homework. It also contains the vocab test the students completed (excellently!), several slides outlining the absolute key features of gothic writing, our thoughts on pathetic fallacy and an example of this being used in Frankenstein, and finally the excellent gothic prompts the class created at the end of the lesson. Everyone worked really well today, there was a lot to take in but the class were able to understand the notion of romanticism + horror beautifully and I was really impressed by their story prompts. Amazing work everyone, keep it up! 🙂

Here’s that video on the southern gothic I said was good to help you reimagine how gothic can be done in the modern era: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG_3mTB731c

Here’s the music from the freewriting exercise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNqX_jWhUzY

Homework 

Homework

P.S. Remember to revise the main conventions of gothic and dystopian writing and to look at some of the gothic and dystopian literature we studied in preparation for our mock exam next week!

Dystopian: 1984, Brave New World, Noughts and Crosses, The Hunger Games

Gothic: Wuthering Heights, To Kill a Mockingbird, Dracula, The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

Attachments:
      SofiaL
      Participant

While I walked in to the big castle I could smell something a like woods that had been boiled, I guess it is the smell of old furniture and the smell of it was very nose hurting. As we walked through the corridors little sounds of people walking through was keeping me anxious about it. When we walked in to a room the shadow of a dress was coming misty into the room. The dress had lace on the outside and had a dark red colour the red was a colour not like to bloody red but it was the colour you could get by mixing brown, black, and red. The dress was flouting with its black ribbons swinging from left to right. Suddenly, the lady that have been dancing wearing the dress appeared from the wreathed in mist room with a faint smile on her face. Her face was pure white, on the paper white face there was the eyes of a truculent nonchalant cat glaring and starring at you. Her lips shine like the colour of blood. She crossed her legs and made a bow the colour of her legs were pure white as well. After a while the lady started to speak, she said: ‘welcome kids to the adventure!’ before I knew what was she saying the lady waked to me, she pulled my hand her hand was cold as ice the skin of hers was not full of goose bumps but as smooth as silk or as smooth as water. By the scenes of terror, I run down the corridors in a hurry. While I ran I heard the voice of the lady in the dress laugh her laugh was a long creepy laugh it expanded from the beginning of the corridors to the end of the corridors.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Sofia,

Gorgeous work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Little does he know

Chapter 2

The landscape was beautiful with its rich, fertile soil and heather that grew in soft, downy clumps. Gibbering incomprehensively, Michel stared in awe and his bag tumbled gracelessly off his shoulders and got intertwined with a bush aged, colossal and prickly. Excitement and zest bubbled up inside Michel, causing him to prance around, larking in his enthusiasm. Gullible and stupid with his ridiculous selection of clothes and ludicrously placed nose he may be, but he was an adventurer and busier than a bee! He was ready to explore this magnificent moorland where the heather grew wild and the streams of water glistened like glossy pearls in the lovely benign warmth of the morning sun. But something was wrong.

Suddenly, Michel’s prancing stopped and his laughter discontinued as a looming shadow was cast over the wonderful moor. The warmth was sucked away and replaced by an unwelcoming, icy layer of frost. The cold pierced Michel’s  face as it permeated through his body, attempting to freeze him. “Ah, ” cackled a frosty voice, its owner appearing seconds later, horrible fires dancing in its eyes. “Help! Somebody! Please help! A vampire!” Michel squealed, his body trembling fearfully, bound up by a mysterious force. He fainted moments later and the vampire laughed gleefully. It whisked the unconscious Michel to its castle and, cackling, flung Michel into a dimly lit cell, slammed the door shut and glided along the silent, gloomy corridor.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

Attachments:
      Mina
      Participant

Thank you for the wonderful lesson Beth!🌞

Mina

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Mina,

Fantastic work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      HarryL
      Participant

George was born in London in 1840. He is a famous traveler. He travels around the world alone to explore different cultures, food and treasures.

He prefers to brag about his adventure to his friends. However, he has a strong jealousy. One day, at a luxurious banquet in London. He saw 20 carats of expensive diamonds brought back by his friends from South Africa. And listen to the man talk about how he found diamonds in a primitive tribe.

George decided to start his journey in search of diamonds. At the first stop, he arrived at Cape Town. His friend lent him a hot-air balloon and a guide. The huge hot-air balloon is dazzling red.

He stood excitedly in the hot-air balloon and looked at the beautiful scenery under his feet.The grassland was shrouded in golden silence. The mountains in the distance were covered with the color clothes of sunset. That day, the milk white clouds on the side also became as bright as a flame. The grass waves subsided, and the herds of cattle and sheep came from the grassland in the distance.

After flying for more than ten hours, the guide stopped the hot-air balloon on a grass in the evening. Just before he stepped out of the hot-air balloon, something frightening happened. Countless arrows came from all directions, and there was a terrible cry. He saw countless people running towards him. They were all naked, with bows and arrows and weapons he did not know. George looked back at his guide. His guide was full of arrows and died in pain. He’s scared! He’s dying!

Beth
        Participant

Hi Harry,

Splendid work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Amber
      Participant

Dear  Beth,

I loved your lesson !

Nice Weekend!

Attachments:
        Amber
        Participant

Yep- this one is the correct group and the complete homework 🙂 Phew!

Mina
          Participant

Am, did you send it to the Wednesday group?!!!!!

Beth
        Participant

Hi Amber,

Sophisticated work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Ern
      Participant

Daniel had green fingers like nobody else had. He was a scholar with decades and decades of research behind him. Combine these things and you find out that he’s a scientist. Unusually, he had a lot of empathy for plants. If he accidentally trod on one he’d apologise and see if the plant was ok. He was spry and had enough energy to run a marathon if he liked. His spryness kept him busy at work, inventing things. But one day everything went wrong…

He used a number of herbs and sap to invent a potion that turns you into a vampire. His head tossed back, blood oozed out of his mouth. Teeth started to form into fangs as the loss of blood made him bloodthirsty. His polished nails turned nastily dirty as he grew and looked like he was eighteen. He NOW was eighteen.

He started to gambit for money which made him rich. richer than anyone possible to imagine. He was offered by a wealthy duke (who of course couldn’t see through the disguise) a plot of land. This land was a large part of England. It was about the two the times the size of London. He became the Duke and started to rule. He felt officious.

He turned the whole of the people living in his dukedom into vampires. After that, he felt officious. His rain of terror had started…

Beth
        Participant

Hi Ern,

Exciting work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See  you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      CynthiaL
      Participant

Jayden opened his eyes slowly and infirmly. Blurry flickering light from candles shone into his eyesight. Floor boards were creaking, wind was howling and heavy droplets were banging on the ancient dusty windows. He was shivering and curling into a ball in one corner of the cage yearning for some warmth. Something cold was dripping from his neck. He wiped it with his grubby finger, and fresh blood oozed out. “Ouch”, he murmured , sharp stinging feeling exploded by his neck.

“Where am I ” , screamed Jayden, looking around like a radar scanning every inches in the room. A boulder ,  covered with blood, was on the floor near the cage. He made attempts to grab it and bashed the lock on the cage open, but it was failed. Suddenly, heavy footsteps were echoing in the corridor and became closer and louder.A tall figure, with long stripy black cape , appeared. His eyes were full of bloodshot, like the spider webs covering the white wall. He is tall and skinny as if a skeleton was wrapped in a cloth.  A permanent smirk was always on his face with 2 sharp fans and a smear of blood by his mouth.

“My name is Vladmir. I will raise you and make your blood as my yummy dinner. DON’T EVEN DARE ESCAPING.” laughed the creature, disappearing along with the stamping in the castle.

Jayden recalled what the Australian said about the legend of the Vampire, and all his body hair standing up together with the horror.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Cynthia,

Impressive work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      SofiaL
      Participant

Sofia’s mock paper

Beth
        Participant

Hey Sofia,

There’s nothing attached to this, would you be able to try re-uploading it at all?

Thank you! 🙂

SofiaL
          Participant

resubmit

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 5

In today’s lesson we completed our first mock writing exam, spending the first few minutes of the lesson to quickly revise the core components of gothic and dystopian writing. We also looked at some top tips for creative writing from Margaret Atwood, the professional writer, and discussed tips for the exam. The class then spent twenty-five minutes completing their writing, using an additional five minutes to plan. They all worked fantastically today, and were able to recall lots of excellent examples of key features of gothic and dystopian writing- amazing work everyone! They completed their exams in a very focused, thoughtful and impressive way & I am really looking forward to reading what they came up with. Congrats everyone, see you soon! 🙂

Video we watched with Margaret Atwood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_d0tIugpSA

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Mina
      Participant

👍🏻

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 6

In our sixth lesson together, we began our work on the genre of comedic writing, thinking about how to write comedically when there is no such thing as objective humour, and looking at examples of comedy writing from the 1500s up until the modern day.  The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help write the homework that will be set in our next lesson. It also contains our work on analysing key scenes from three comedies throughout the ages, considering what has changed and what has stayed the same, our work that we completed on defining comedy and our thoughts on the different types of comedy from within the comedic genre. Well done everyone for your fantastic work today, remember to watch some funny videos and read articles & short stories you find funny over the weekend for homework- to be a great comedy writer you need to understand your own sense of humour first and foremost. Have a look for some funny videos on Youtube, or find a classic comedy TV series, novel or movie to dive into. You all worked beautifully today and I loved hearing your thoughts and analysis on the subjectivity of humour. Keep it up and I’ll see you all soon! 🙂

Scene from Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night (slapstick comedy): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDPT2e26SgY

Scene from Wodehouse’s Jeeves and Wooster (comedy of manners): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqU6lz8bGhA

Scene from Lemony Snicket’s Series of Unfortunate Events (dark comedy): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3se60e4PeFc

Video on comedy writing we watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNTxSBgDNp4

Homework

Vocab

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Vocab:

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Hi everyone,

Gorgeous work on your mock exams last week, I’ve attached all of your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      BobQZ
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Please see the attachment for Sephi’s homework.

Kindly regards

Chris

Attachments:
        Mina
        Participant

This is SOOOO FUUNNYY!🤣🤣👍🏻👍🏻

Beth
        Participant

Hi Sephi,

Highly amusing work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 7

In today’s lesson, we continued our work on the genre of the comedic, thinking about how to use all we had learnt about comedic and humorous writing in our own work.  The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help write the homework. It also contains the work we did on the comedic techniques in our toolkit, the advice the class were given about writing comedy sketches and some ideas of humorous prompts that they can draw inspiration from for their own comedy sketch writing. Everyone came up with some really exciting and adventurous ideas today- amazing work everyone it was super enjoyable to hear all of your beautiful comedic ideas! Well done class, keep up the fantastic job you are all doing in these lessons and I’ll see you in a few days! 🙂

Horrible Histories sketches link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dohpfFPi6U

More Horrible Histories: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=horrible+histories

The David Walliams link on how to write a good comedy sketch: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03nshgl

More BBC Comedy Writing tips: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04y9j0g

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
        Mina
        Participant

Thank you for the mind-blowing humour this week!🤯

Attachments:
          Mina
          Participant

Dear Beth,

Can you please mark my homework?

Kind regards,

Mina.

SofiaL
        Participant

Sorry for the late submission for Lesson 7’s comedy sketch below.

Today is Chaos first day to school on the school bus he meets a girl Who was called Betty Borter. Betty Borter asked chaos: ‘Hey, what’s your name, what do you like?’ Chaos answered unsurely, and shyly: ‘Hi. I am Chaos Cratey. It is a funny name, is it? Well I like crafting.’ ‘Oh, so Mr. Chaos likes crafting. Oh, apologies, I did not introduce myself.’ said Betty lofty: ‘Bonjour, I am Betty Borter. I like berries. I Like strawberry, raspberry, cranberry, huckleberry, blackberry, blueberry, saskatoon berry, juneberry, ACAI berry, baneberry, barberry, bear berry, bilberry, mulberry, boysenberry, buffalo berry, bunchberry, cowberry, cloudberry, gooseberry, hackberry, mistletoe berry, nanny berry, poke berry, sea berry, snowberry, Tay berry, even cherry berry. Although cherry berry is not even a kind of berry.’ Chaos was beginning to be tired of this girl who is being in some ways very annoying. Chaos now wanted the bus to stop at the school.

Finally, the bus stop, the kids flooded the garden at the back gate of the school. Chaos   saw a sea of children in his ages, and he spotted the girl who had a strawberry hair band, he wondered whether is it Betty, yes it was her, she was still introducing herself to others, or as chaos called it ‘Betty Borter’s berry business’

At last the bunch of children which are going to be students in a minute or so walked noisily with the pre-headmaster. Chaos and a bunch of others including that bizarre, batty Betty Borter was walking into to a classroom.

When the home teacher came, and wanted the bunch of kids to introduce themselves. Unluckily, Betty was the first in line, so she went on her berry blah blah blah again. If Berry Betty really lived than she would have learnt a lesson: ‘Never brag to others about how much you know about berries.’

SofiaL
          Participant

attached video click for part of the comedy sketch Sofia wrote. Just for fun ^-^

Attachments:
        SofiaL
        Participant

Hi Beth, have you see Sofia’s Lesson 7 comedy sketch and Video yet?

Ern
      Participant

Here is my comedy sketch.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Ern,

Fab work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Amber
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Why did the comb sing a melody?

Because it wanted some Comedy!

😉

Thank you for the mar-abulous lesson!

Have a scrum-arvollous week!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Amber,

Brilliant joke! Glad you enjoyed the lesson, and I hope you have a fabulous week too!

Hilarious work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
        Ern
        Participant

Nice joke Amber.

Mina
          Participant

Yeah, agreed.🤣😊

Amber
            Participant

Hiya Mina! Thank you 🙂

Why did the cat haunt the house?

Because she was haun-gry!

Amber
          Participant

Hi Ernie! Thank you Ernie! Do you still want to write  Watership Down?

Knock Knock!

Who’s there?

Spaceship.

Spaceship who?

Spaceship-armadillo XTV4589 Captin Banana!

Amber
          Participant

Hi Ernie! Thank you Ernie! Do you still want to write  Watership Down?

Knock Knock!

Who’s there?

Spaceship.

Spaceship who?

Spaceship-armadillo XTV4589 Captin Banana!

Ern
            Participant

weiiiiirrrrrrdddd!

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 8

In our eighth lesson together, we began our work on the genre of journalistic writing, thinking about the role of journalism in the world today and what the word truly means.  The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help write the homework that will be set in our next lesson. It also contains our work on the importance of truth in news stories, our thoughts on different forms and styles of journalism, our work on the different topics and stories journalists cover and finally the questions the class came up with to interview a journalist friend of mine- the answers to which they will be able to hear next lesson! Excellent work today everyone, you have all been super engaged and have thought of some amazing ideas regarding how to check if stories are true and thinking about what journalism adds to the world. Remember to think of a news story of your own to report on before our next lesson and I’ll see you all next week! 🙂

Here is the finding news video that will help with homework (or watch the lesson recording back): https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/young-reporter/lesson-2-finding-news/zgm3hcw

Homework

Vocab

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Vocab list:

Attachments:
      Ern
      Participant

Yes, I would love to keep going!

Thanks!

Ern
      Participant

Your turn now Amber! Let me see your writing in WATERSHIP DOWNS!

Thanks!

Amber
        Participant

Sorry, I just saw your message, I will write it today, Enjoy! 🙂

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 9

In our penultimate lesson together, we completed our work on the genre of journalism, where the class used everything we had learnt about so far to begin planning their own pieces of journalistic writing.  The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help write the homework. It also contains our work on the features of newspaper writing, the answers from the interview questions the class wrote last week to ask a journalist, the mini vocab test we completed and our thoughts on objectivity, subjectivity and writer’s voice. Fantastic and enthusiastic work today everyone- I was super impressed by your commitment and all of your wonderful ideas. The variety of news stories you had all collected were really outstanding! Keep up the gorgeous work and I am really looking forward to reading all of your news stories. Good luck with your revision for our mock exam next lesson and I will see you then! 🙂

The BBC video on gathering news: https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/young-reporter/lesson-3-gathering-news/zqcm8hv

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Oops, sorry guys this is the wrong summary (it’s the one for the Monday group). I’ll post yours tomorrow after the lesson, ignore this one for now though!

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 9

Here’s the right summary- ignore the one above. Sorry about that guys!

In our penultimate lesson together, we completed our work on the genre of journalism, where the class used everything we had learnt about so far to begin planning their own pieces of journalistic writing.  The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help write the homework. It also contains our work on the features of newspaper writing, the answers from the interview questions the class wrote last week to ask a journalist, the mini vocab test we completed and our thoughts on objectivity, subjectivity and writer’s voice. Beautiful work today everyone, you all had some fantastic ideas for news stories and I thought your grasp of the importance of objectivity was gorgeous. Amazing work, good luck revising with your mock and I’ll see you then 🙂

The BBC video on gathering news: https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/young-reporter/lesson-3-gathering-news/zqcm8hv

P.S. The newspaper templates are below, you can use them if you’d like but you don’t have to. Remember you don’t have to write a newspaper article- you can produce any form of journalistic writing.

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Ern
      Participant

My journalism.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Ern,

Spectacular work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      HarryL
      Participant

Date today 12/8/2021

Superstars have never traveled around the would !
      <p style=”text-align: right;”>A family of superstars have never traveled around the world when filming new films for movies. They have told the truth this Monday when being interviewed by Mr James. The family agreed to tell there public anything with filming in the future. They hope that there public will forgive them for not telling them there secrets when filming.</p>
      <p style=”text-align: left;”>This has never happened in history and this is the first in history to happen. The crowd  says that it is there  fault for not telling the truth . The family agrees that it is there fault for not telling the truth when filming.</p>
      The Director plans to fire the family of three from the studio on next Saturday and he wants an audition to find new people to take part for the play. They say auditions will start on the sixth of September.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Harry,

Attachments:
      SofiaL
      Participant

Sofia’s mock 2

SofiaL
        Participant

sending it again

Attachments:
          SofiaL
          Participant

Overview today after 54 years

8.13 a day to remember
          By Sofia (interviewee: Sofia’s grandpa)

My grandpa became an Air Force member of the People’s Liberation Army of China at a young age. My grandpa and the other Air Force members defend our motherland, the War to Resist U.S. Aggression and Aid Vietnam. Americans were invading Vietnam by roads, Bridges, railways…… During this period, they often faced the day and night dozens to more than 100 American aircraft bombarded, but our air force did not fear the sacrifice of brave fighting.

While I was interviewing my grandpa in this part I felt proud the Air Force members of the People liberation of china. In my opinion every member in the army has a kind of personality and faith which is that although we do not have advance technology, their people are a lot more than us, but is that the reason that they can win us they can win the war? No for sure, although they have more advanced technology it doesn’t mean that they could already win the war so we need to fight about. I think that is the faith that we all need to believe in and to believe it.

SofiaL
            Participant

Please see above, Sofia’s Lesson 9’s journalistic writing homework. Many thanks!

Beth
            Participant

Hi Sofia,

Nice work  this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 10

In today’s lesson we completed our second mock writing exam, spending the first few minutes of the lesson to quickly revise the core components of comedy and journalistic writing. We also looked at some top tips for comedy writing from Armando Iannucci, the professional comedy writer, and discussed tips for the exam. The class then spent thirty minutes completing their writing, using an additional five minutes to plan. Everyone worked fantastically today, the class were very focused, prepared and thoughtful in their approach to their exams. Really wonderful work everyone, today and for the past five weeks. It has been a pleasure teaching you all, you are all full of so many creative, sparky and fascinating ideas and I have been really impressed by each and every one of you. Keep writing and I hope to see you all in lessons in the future. Congrats on finishing your mock exams and for all your hard work in our classes! 🙂

Here is the Armando Iannucci video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8Y1YcZF6WI

Homework

Hoemqwrok

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Hi Amber,

Splendid work on your journalism writing, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Ern
      Participant

My mock exam work.

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Hi everyone,

Superb work on your mock exams, I’ve attached all of your feedback below.

Well done 😀

Attachments:
Viewing 42 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar