VMWEdu
      Keymaster
      michaelP
      Participant

hi

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 1

In today’s lesson we began our work on A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning, thinking about what we liked and disliked about the book and trying to re-imagine the unusual introduction of the book. We spoke about the strange setting of the book, how it doesn’t fit into any one place or time but rather borrows influences from many different historical periods and places. Finally the class focused on the way Lemony Snicket writes, using reverse psychology to tempt the reader further into the world of the novel and frequently directly addressing the reader. They wrote some incredible examples of their own Snicket-inspired introduction to the books playing around with the kind of language he uses and comparing this to another Snicket introduction from a book later in the series. Incredible and passionate work today everyone, it was great to see you all and I look forward to hearing about the inventions you come up with! 🙂

P.S. The homework sheet is attached below

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      efay
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Efay’s homework for lesson 1

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Amazing work Efay- well done! I love how you have labeled all the parts of your drawing to show the reader exactly how your raft works and I think you’ve thought beautifully about the kinds of materials that would be available to you on a desert island, from coconut shells to old water bottles; I particularly love the oars you have created, they look super cool. Your drawing is fantastic and creative and I think this looks like a great invention! To make this even better, could you label how your character would use this i.e., to escape the island? Overall lovely work well done 🙂

Beth
          Participant

Spelling:

*coconut

sally
      Participant

Hi Beth

this is my home work for lesson 1

from sally

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Some fantastic drawing Sally, well done! I really like how you have communicated the chaos of this scene, showing all the damage created by being shipwrecked and you have labeled this drawing fantastically to show all of the different elements involved. You have thought carefully about the setting of the desert island and how the weather might play a big part in the experience and have illustrated the scene with lots of movement. To make this even better, could you show us a little more what the invention your character has created is i.e., what it is that helps them fly? Overall fab work well done 🙂

Spellings:

*friend

*damaged raft

EthanCh
      Participant

Hi Beth, please see Ethan’s homework attached. Thank you!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Incredible work Ethan- well done! Your knowledge of survival skills is excellent, with wonderfully detailed ideas such as the dye on the bait needed for the fishing rod. I really enjoyed your illustrations and loved that you thought of how survival would be different in the daytime and the nighttime, suggesting how to light a fire when it is dark and cold. You’ve also thought fantastically about the things available on a desert island. To make this even better, I’d love to know what you would make the red dye out of for the bait! Overall wonderful drawing and ideas on survival skills, well done 🙂

Spelling:

*piece

*craft with a stick

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 2

In today’s lesson we looked at the notion of author intent and how it is clouded in this book by the narrative voice of the story and how the book plays around with what is fictional and what is ‘not’. We focused on the construction of Lemony Snicket by Daniel Handler, discussing what it adds to the book that Lemony Snicket is a pseudonym with an entire character profile behind him. The class did a hot-seating exercise where they interviewed each other about the book, thinking about questions to ask the author, and we then watched a real-life interview with Lemony Snicket. The class discussed why an author would use a pseudonym fantastically, before thinking about some character analysis working with the character of Count Olaf. Great work today everyone, well done and keep up the amazing work. See you next week 🙂

Lemony Snicket interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPr-Dk3pdNg

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      EthanCh
      Participant

Hi Beth, please see my homework attached. Thank you!

Ethan

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Amazing work Ethan- well done! Your biography of Jake Sully is beautifully detailed & he sounds like a brilliant character. You have included so much important information about his life and I really enjoyed reading about the charities and causes he supports. You have used current events and issues fantastically in this biography, making your character feel like a real person living in 2023, and I really enjoyed all the inventions you have thought of for him to have made- so creative! To make this even better, could you talk a little more about him as an author and writer? Overall gorgeous work well done 🙂

Grammar & spelling:

*being taught by

*success

*exciting

*with

*racism

*a museum about him which shows his life

Beth
          Participant

P.S. I also loved how you put the story of what inspired him into your biography- brilliant idea!

Shangchen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is My homework attached

Thank you for the brilliant Lesson!😄

Shangchen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Fabulous work Shangchen, well done! I really enjoyed the way that you have laid this piece out with subheadings, just like a Wikipedia article, and thought your storytelling was beautifully woven throughout. I loved the references to Douglas Adams which I thought were super creative and really enjoyed the reviews at the end which are really entertaining, especially the one from Isla. The ideas about the other endeavors he is involved in make him feel like a well-rounded character and I loved the idea about him being an animal abuse campaigner and having the nickname of The Great Joker. To make this even better, make sure you capitalise proper nouns, names and book titles. Overall wonderful writing well done 🙂

Spellings & grammar:

* raising an incredible amount

*studied hard

*when a series ends 

*I had to secretly hide the book under my bed when I was sleeping

*books include 

*to silence noisy classes

sanya
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is my homework for speech writing :

Topic : Why should we save our Bees 🐝

Good morning. My chosen topic is Bees because I really love them and I learn about them in school. Bees are bee-rilliant little creatures that pollinate lots and lots and lots of our food. Albert Einstein said that if bees disappeared , then we would only have 4 years to live.

We should look after our bees for many reasons. One of them is that we need to live and bees help us do that. Did you know that 1 out of every 3 mouthfuls of our food depend on bees ? And did you know that it takes 12 worker bees to make a teaspoon of honey. If you like avocados, 🥑berries 🍓, blueberries,🫐 cherries,🍒 lychees, macadamias, melons,🍈 onions🧅, strawberries,🍓 summerfruit, 🍉and vegetables🍅 then PLEASE look after our lovely creatures because they pollinate all of these things. Interestingly, bees also pollinate cotton and most of our clothes are made out of cotton. And also, TREES NEED BEES !! And what do trees do? They give us oxygen . So, Without bees we wouldn’t have trees. Without trees we would not have oxygen and without oxygen then we wouldn’t be able to live (so basically, bees make oxygen ). 🌲

In a hive, there are about between 20,000 and 80,000 bees in a hive. There are also three types of bees, A queen bee, a worker bee and a drone. There is only one queen bee in a hive. The worker bees search far and wide to find a queen and if the queen dies, then they would have to find another one. Did you know that a queen bee can lay up to 2,000 eggs 🪺a day ?. The worker bee is a female and females only have stingers and there are about 100 worker bees in the hive. Drones are rarely seen but you can find them in the summer. Their job is to mate with the queen. Unfortunately, female bees have a stinger and if they sting with their stinger then they sadly die. But we can stop this .If you see a bee, Please don’t be afraid of it. Remember, it will only sting you if they get scared so if you stay as still as a statue,🗿then you will be fine. If you like mangoes like me then you should look after bees because no bees, then no yummy mangoes for you or me 🥭.

Please look after these amazing creatures by doing anything you can such as planting bee-friendly flowers. Our bee-autiful friends need our help so help them or life will end for you.

Thank you

sanya
      Participant

Sorry beth, I sent to the wrong one

Beth
        Participant

No worries!

Beth
        Participant

Summary for Lesson 3

In today’s lesson we completed our work on A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket, digging down into the nitty gritty of the novel. We began by thinking about the namesake of some characters in the book, considering why the author may have based the characters upon these historical and literary figures, and the class then came up with their own historical and literary figures to base characters on. We then spoke about genre, focusing on the notion of The Gothic and then playing around with what different genres would do to the plot and atmosphere of the story. Finally we completed some work on themes, the moral and what the story has taught each student, discussing ideas such as family, bravery and whether the story had a moral at all. Amazing work today everyone, really well done. Have a wonderful holiday period and I’ll see you in new courses in January! 🙂

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      sally
      Participant

Hi Beth

this is my home work

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Lovely work Sally, well done! Your tone is spot on for a biography of an author and I really enjoyed how you told the story of his life all the way from birth up until the moment of his fame. I thought it was a great idea to have him invent a chair that helps people in poverty and really liked the detail about him being advanced for his age in reading novels etc. The name of the novel he wrote is a great one and I loved the ideas about all the languages he speaks, showing him to be a multi-talented person. To make this even better, just be careful with your gendered pronouns; you say he is a man but then occasionally use ‘she’ which is the pronoun for a woman, just make sure to keep this consistent throughout. Overall fantastic ideas well done 🙂

Spelling & grammar:

*he was born in the year 1990

*he knows how

*which was very popular

michaelP
      Participant

hi beth here is my entily fictional author’s biography

Bob, using a pseudonym of a character residing in the village of Fowl, dedicated his efforts to V.D.F. This acronym served as an essential code utilized by all members of the organization to conceal their true identities and instead adopt code names. Hector Godwinson was also affiliated with V.D.F., but it ultimately dissolved due to internal conflicts among its members. Bob’s pen name allowed him to remain inconspicuous and garnered no personal recognition; rather, only his literary alias received acclaim. He employed this measure as a means of safeguarding himself, his identity, and his life. he preferred maintaining a low profile at all times.

Conflicts gradually broke out as aliens and there technology fell onto bobs back yard not knowing what to do he just smelted the meterials and made clothes out of it a full set head to toe clothing soon enough the suit fitted him perfectly at all times and game him protection against everything.

Soon the whole world was onto him tracking him down and sending bobmb interbalistic missiles again to no avail.

Beth
        Participant

Incredible work Michael, well done! I really love the language you are using here which adds a sense of drama and excitement to your piece through the mention of things such as code names and internal conflicts. Your vocabulary here is top-notch and helps to add to the mystery of the person behind the pseudonym. You have thought of a really interesting way in which your character is using their pen name and have given the whole piece a feeling of suspense through lots of military terminology. Just be careful to show how the two halves match up- the part from “conflicts gradually…” might need explaining a little more to show what’s happening in that moment. Overall lovely ideas well done 🙂

*their technology

*Bob’s

*materials

*gave him protection

*sending Bob interballistic

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 3

In today’s lesson we completed our work on A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket, digging down into the nitty-gritty of the novel. We began by thinking about the namesake of some characters in the book, considering why the author may have based the characters upon these historical and literary figures, and the class then came up with their own historical and literary figures to base characters on. We then spoke about genre, focusing on the notion of The Gothic and then playing around with what different genres would do to the plot and atmosphere of the story. Finally we completed some work on themes, the moral and what the story has taught each student, discussing ideas such as family, bravery and whether the story had a moral at all. Amazing work today everyone, really well done. Have a wonderful holiday period and I’ll see you in new courses in January! 🙂

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar