Writing-Year34-TueThur-1015(1700 first two weeks then 1015)

Forums 2021 Summer Courses Writing-Year34-TueThur-1015(1700 first two weeks then 1015)

Viewing 37 reply threads
  • Author
      VMWEdu
      Keymaster
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 1

In our first lesson together, we focused on the genre of science fiction, thinking about how to analyse various authors’ writing and envisaging of sci-fi technologies and with the class then creating their own.  The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help write the homework that will be set in our next lesson. It also contains our work on thinking about the different types of sci-fi through key passages from three famous science fiction novels, our work that we completed on defining science fiction and the creative prompts and work the class completed regarding creating technologies and evoking their defects. The class all worked brilliantly today, I was really impressed with their creativity and thought that their enthusiasm was fab. They also all grasped the notion of dramatic conflict beautifully, and thought about how to set up plots based on technological problems as is convention in the genre. Well done everyone, keep up the amazing work and I’ll see you soon! 🙂

Here is the intro video we watched in the lesson on science fiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrusqQ5JftA

Homework

Homewor

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      leyan
      Participant

Please see the vocal and the sentences I made

Attachments:
      leyan
      Participant

the vocal is vocab

Yichen
      Participant

Here are some sentences I wrote. Thanks for checking, Beth.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Beautiful work Yichen! Really well done, each and every sentence works perfectly for the vocab and you’ve used some lovely evocative language such as hellhound- amazing!

P.S. Your handwriting is super similar to mine when I was your age hehe!

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 2

In our lesson together, we continued work on the genre of science fiction, thinking about how to use all we had learn for our own sci-fi writing.  The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help write the homework. It also contains our work on the conventions of science fiction, the class’s ideas for features of a sci-fi society, our work on free-writing and our vocab test based on the vocab from last lesson. Slide 8 contains some prompts that the students can use for inspiration in their own writing, and can use to help them with the homework. Everyone worked beautifully today, I loved hearing about how they would use the conventions of sci-fi in their own writing and thought they did excellently on the vocab exam. Keep it up guys and I’ll see you soon 🙂

Homework 

Homework

Attachments:
      EmilyL
      Participant

Dear Beth, please see Emily’s work.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Emily,

Exciting work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      leyan
      Participant

Please see Leyans’s work.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Leyan,

Fabulous work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Kimberley
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Please find Kimberley’s homework.

Thanks xx

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Kimberley,

Amazing work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Dear Beth, Please see Yichen’s homework. Thanks.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

Fantastic work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Sophie
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Please find the work from Sophie.

Many thank!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Sophie,

Thrilling work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 3

In our third lesson together, we focused on the genre of fantasy, thinking about how to analyse various authors’ writing and envisaging of entire mythological worlds and with the class then thinking about using these worlds as inspiration for their own.  The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help write the homework that will be set in our next lesson. It also contains our work on thinking about the different types of fantasy through key passages from three famous fantasy novels, the students’ ideas about what to expect to find in a fantasy novel, our work that we completed on defining fantasy and the creative prompt the class used to help them think about extending a fantasy world of their choice in their own writing. The class all worked well today, I know it’s been a long, hot day so well done for staying focused. I look forward to hearing what you come up with for your own fantasy stories next lesson! 🙂

Here is the intro video we watched in the lesson on building fictional worlds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQTQSbjecLg

Homework 

Vocab

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

hello Beth, I wrote some sentences today. Thanks.-Yichen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Gorgeous work Yichen! Such a lovely use of sentences. The only correction is that it would be “the house was pandemonium” instead of “pandemonium” as it’s an abstract noun. Overall, fab work 🙂

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 4

In our lesson together, we continued work on the genre of fantasy, thinking about how to use all we had learn for our own fantastical writing.  The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help write the homework. It also contains our work on the conventions of fantasy, the class’s ideas for creating a fantastical creature, their character creation of a central protagonist, our work on free-writing and our vocab test based on the vocab from last lesson. Slide 9 contains some prompts that the students can use for inspiration in their own writing, and can use to help them with the homework, and I will post the link for the fantasy story prompt spinner below. Everyone worked fantastically today, their creativity and imagination were on top form and I really enjoyed hearing about the worlds they were gradually building up in their heads. Well done everyone! 🙂

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Felix
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please see attached for my HW for lesson 2.

Thank you

Kind regards,

Felix

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Felix,

Exciting work this  week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      leyan
      Participant

Please see Leyan’s work.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Leyan,

Charming work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Sophie
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Please find the work from Sophie for week 2.

Many thank!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Sophie,

Amazing work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon  🙂

Attachments:
      Kimberley
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Please find Kimberley’s homework for week 2.

Thanks xx

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Kimberley,

Attachments:
          Kimberley
          Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for your feedback.

I have extended the final part, can you have a look please?

Thanks,

Kimberley

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Dear Beth, Please find my home work. Thanks. – Yichen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

Beautiful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Zean
      Participant

Once there was a 11 year old boy called Cartman. His parents where very rich so pretty much he played on his play station five.but one day, something very strange happened.He woke up in the morning feeling very exhausted, so he decided to play online but when he played Call of Duty, a hand grabbed him and he fell in the game! After a few minutes he found himself on the floor holding a sniper.So Cartman got up. First he couldnt believe it but then a enemy came and  threw a bomb at him. Cartman dodged the attack. Bang! Cartman shot a bullet at the enemy.After a few hours he had ran out of bullets but eventually he managed to take out 69 enemies and there was only 1 enemy left till he got Victory.He knocked out the last enemy.”VICTORY FOR ME!”,Cartman shouted.Suddenly he found himself in his house lying on the floor.”I am back!”

Hi Beth,

Please look at my homework.

from Zean

Beth
        Participant

Hi Zean,

Thrilling work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 5

In our fifth lesson together, we focused on the genre of children’s stories, thinking about how to analyse various authors’ writing, considering the importance of engaging with the experience of childhood and with the class then thinking about the important life experiences they could use to help inspire their writing.  The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help write the homework that will be set in our next lesson. It also contains our work on thinking about the key things you can expect to find in a children’s story, our work identifying classic children’s literature, and the prompt for the class’s creation of their own children’s story protagonists. Everyone worked excellently today, and were able to pick up on the nuances of tone and style within the children’s story genre, defining the genre beautifully. Well done guys and I’ll see you in a couple of days! 🙂

Video with Michael Rosen (you can watch the rest if you’d like to know a little more about how he writes and the tips he would give): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsr2jUcEjMk

Homework

Vocab

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 6

In our lesson together, we continued work on the genre of children’s stories, thinking about how to use all we had learn for our own writing.  The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help write the homework. It also contains our work on the key elements of writing for children focusing on things such as content and tone, our work on emotive writing through the medium of diary entries and our thoughts on how the moral messaging of children’s literature is one of its key defining features. Everyone worked really well today, they were able to create some lovely emotive story prompts, and folllowed the conventions of diary writing fantastically. They also did really well on their vocab test- well done guys! Lovely work everyone, I will see you all soon! 🙂

Video on pacing to watch for homework: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krpMNLRhM_4

Homework 

Homewwork

Attachments:
      Sophie
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This Sophie’s work for week 3

Many  thanks

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Sophie,

Wonderful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Kimberley
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please find my homework for week 3,

Kind regards,

Kimberley

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Kimberley,

Fantastic work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Hi, Beth, please find my work. Thanks. -Yichen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

Fab work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      leyan
      Participant

Hi Beth, this is my homework from week 3. thank you very much.-Leyan

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Leyan,

Charming work this  week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 7

In our lesson together, we focused on the genre of journalism, thinking about what the role of journalism was and how the class could become mini news reporters themselves.  The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help write the homework that will be set in our next lesson, and also to complete the homework from today. It also contains our work on what questions the class would ask a journalist, ideas on the structure of a newspaper, their thoughts about the types of stories featured in journalistic writing and the prompt for their homework, which is to find a true news story to report on from talking to friends and family members, and they should bring this story to our next class together to discuss (see Slide 10). Everyone worked beautifully today- excellent work everyone I was super impressed by how quickly you picked up on some difficult and challenging ideas. Keep up the great work! 🙂

Here is the finding news video that will help with homework (or watch the lesson recording back): https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/young-reporter/lesson-2-finding-news/zgm3hcw

Homework

Vocab

Attachments:
      Felix
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please find attached for Felix’s homework for lesson 4, Fantacy.

Thank you

Kind regards,

Felix

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 8

In our lesson together, we completed our work on the genre of journalism, where the class used everything we had learnt about so far to begin planning their own news reports.  The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help write the homework. It also contains our work on the structure of a newspaper, tips for writing an effective and eye-catching headline, the answers to the questions the students wrote last week for my journalist friend, and finally the answers to this week’s vocab test. Everyone came up with some great ideas for news stories today, I am really looking forward to reading them all! Amazing work guys, I hope you have a great weekend and will see you next week 🙂

The BBC video on gathering news: https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/young-reporter/lesson-3-gathering-news/zqcm8hv

Homework 

Homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Here are some newspaper templates which you can use if you would like (you don’t have to!) 🙂

Attachments:
      EmilyL
      Participant

Hi Beth, please see my homework. Emily

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Emily,

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Hi Bath, please find my writing. Thanks.- Yichen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

Gorgeous work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 9

In our penultimate lesson together, we focused on the genre of mystery, suspense & crime, working on planning around 12 crucial elements of mystery writing and using tips from an author who writes detective novels.  The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help write the homework that will be set in our next lesson. It also contains our work on the key ingredients of mystery, why it is important to show not tell, our thoughts on defining the genre and the example of a mystery story we studied in order to work out how to build suspense for the reader but keeping them in the dark. Everyone worked really well today and I thought the range and creativity of their mystery stories that they planned was oustanding. Amazing job everyone, remember to revise vocab lists 1-4 which can be found above, attached to our lesson summaries. See you in a few days! 🙂

Here’s the video from the lesson that we watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAnIuUPRdko

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Sophie
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Please find the work from Sophie for week 4.

Many thank!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Sophie,

Splendid work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Kimberley
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Sorry I sent this newspaper homework late.

Kind regards,

Kimberley

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Kimberley,

No worries!

Fabulous work, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 10

In our final lesson together, we finished our work on the genre of mystery, suspense & crime, working on learning more in depth techniques and conventions to help us write mysterious and suspenseful stories.  The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help write the homework. It contains the vocab test that the class completed at the beginning of the lesson, where they consolidated their knowledge of all the vocba we have studied in this course, alongside some really important literary techniques for this genre of writing (Slide 4), the picture prompt that the class used to plan a mystery story this week, ideas on writing suspenseful story starters and thoughts on how to avoid cliche in writing. Lovely work today guys, you all grasped the ins and outs of this genre fantastically and I loved hearing your ideas for various mystery, suspense and crime stories. Remember you can watch the rest of the video about slowly revealing info to your reader (the link is below) and think about the key secrets in your stories when writing the homework. It has been great working with you all and I’ve loved hearing all of your wonderful ideas and reading all of your fantastic pieces of writing- I really hope to see you all again in lessons in the future and until then keep up the amazing work & keep practicing your writing and experimenting with genre and style! It has been a pleasure guys 🙂

Video from today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqU3cFSGPNc

Homework

Hoemwork

Attachments:
      leyan
      Participant

Dear Beth, Sorry for late. This is my week 4 Homework. Thank you 🙂

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Leyan,

No worries!

Brilliant work, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Hi Beth, please find my writing. Thanks.- Yichen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

Brilliant work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Sophie
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Please find the work from Sophie for week 5.

Many thanks!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Sophie,

Fabulous work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
Viewing 37 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar