Forums 2022 Spring Courses Writing-Year567-Wed

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • Author
      VMWEdu
      Keymaster
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 1

In today’s lesson we began our new course on writing challenges, where every week the students will be introduced to two writing challenges- one fiction, one non-fiction- with various elements of style, grammar, and language that they have to include. These lessons are about honing the class’s writing skills and enabling them to practice lots of different types of writing, alongside evaluating their own and others’ work. They will over the course of our lessons together form a large base of written work with which to experiment, and have practice writing in many different genres, formats, and styles. The class produced some gorgeous work today based on a prompt that required them to think about using structure stylistically and engaging with the genres of mystery and horror. We spoke about prepositional phrases, parallelism, auditory imagery, and the use of breaking conventions in order to create tension and suspense. Beautiful work from the class today- everyone worked really hard and really creatively throughout our lesson. I was really impressed by the students ideas, contributions and writing skills today- keep up the great work guys and I’ll see you next week! 🙂

P.S. Remember that you can use the PowerPoint to help you with the homework writing challenge and if you have any questions you can post them below.

Isocolon video for homework: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0s4za13LCE&feature=emb_logo

Parallelism video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l2FgUrln1A

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      AmyZ
      Participant

Dear Beth:

Here attached my homework, thanks!

Amy Zhang

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Amy,

Some good work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      VickyZ
      Participant

Hi, Beth:

Please check my homework, any problems please let me know !

Thank you!

Vicky

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Vicky,

Splendid work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      SofiaL
      Participant

Hi Beth this is my homework for lesson 1, have a good day see you later❤️

I think it is a bit hard😖

Well I hardly disagree with that statement.

Firstly what I disagree most is supernatural is only existed in horror movies or novel and it does not exist in real life. In a horror movie or a hard oval or even a tragedy we see that the writer writes a monster or something like a malicious character. for example if their eyes are green the writer would write the eyes were green like to dark lands striking in your heart. I mean that’s a simile and supernatural. in real supernatural obvious very natural actually if we hate someone or we really like someone what we would do is we would catch one of him or his moments and make it bigger that’s super natural right a example for this is if I really hate Sally a nickname than when I got home to tell my parents I would say Sally she hates it to me right on my face but what really happened was Sally just patted  me.

Secondly if a villain is going to show up or something scary will show up it will make the scenery very very quiet. so if the character moves a little sounds. they are very big. in our life there’s also things like this for example if you go on stage to performs people with clap before you go on stage.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Sofia,

Some promising work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Vivienne
      Participant

Hi Beth, this is my homework for this week.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Vivienne,

Good work, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Emma
      Participant

Hi Beth!

I am very sorry for being late. I didn’t have time to upload it on the weekend. I am soooooo sorry.

Emma

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Emma,

No worries at all!

Great work, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 2

In today’s lesson we continued our new course on writing challenges, looking today at notions such as semantic field, semi-colons to suggest thematic relation and embedded clauses. We began the class with a fiction prompt requiring the students to think about different ways to use the semantic field of warfare (i.e., through metaphor, word choice, allusion etc.) alongside some grammatical and technical considerations such as semi-colons and similes. Everyone worked fantastically today- I really enjoyed hearing all their ideas from the challenge and thought their use of advanced punctuation was brilliant! Wonderful work everyone, as always, remember to save your writing challenge and your self-evaluation (mark out of ten, WWW, EBI) and I’ll see you soon! 🙂

Video on semantic fields: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqz00WbWggY

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Vivienne
      Participant

Hi, Beth,

this is my homework for this week,

have a nice weekend!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Vivienne,

Brilliant work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      SofiaL
      Participant

Hi Beth ,nice day. This is my homework 😊

Hello everyone I’m here to speak with you about your problems. I as the green party primary school member also called as the headmaster. I’m here, to warn you all of you and grateful about gum balls. I presume you all had the news of Mr. Jacklertson. yes I clear that now he showed gumballs at my window and, right then I put him into detention. So if either of you guys do the same then you’ll have the same playground game store game place as Mr. JACKLERTSON. I want you all to stop throwing gum balls to your grandparents and the teachers who are old and our school. Instead but not least I want to tell you something come both are gorgeous they are great are used to play them to it a scam it’s not a game and there’s not anything to gamble people I want you all to keep the gumballs out of the grass or then I’ll grab you into my geography class.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Sofia,

Some good work this week, I’ve   attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      VickyZ
      Participant

Dear Beth:

Please check my homework, thank you!

Vicky

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Vicky,

Attachments:
      AmyZ
      Participant

Dear Beth:

Here attached my homework, thank you!

amy

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Amy,

Fab work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Emma
      Participant

Hi Beth!

Here is my homework.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Emma,

Good work, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 3

In today’s lesson we continued our writing challenges, focusing in today’s lesson on some advanced and extended metaphor work and also the three new techniques of allusion, prolepsis and antithesis. We began the class with a non-fiction prompt requiring the students to think about persuasive writing that included an equal amount of figurative and persuasive techniques. We touched on the importance of understanding how associations shape metaphors and spoke about how prolepsis is about predicting what your opposition might claim to discredit your opinion. We also practiced some work on allusion, thinking about what effect the technique creates and how this can overlap with metaphor. The students wrote some outstanding examples of allusion and some really great, creative pieces based on a prompt asking them to express their opinions on graffiti. I was super impressed by everyone’s work and contributions today- well done class and I’ll see you next lesson 🙂

Allusion video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF3ANKEPoko

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

*The homework is due Monday at 3pm – there’s a typo in the PPT, sorry about that! 🙂

Vivienne
      Participant

Hi Beth,

this is my homework for the week, have a nice weekend!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Vivienne,

Thank you, you too!

Brilliant work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      SofiaL
      Participant

Hi Beth, have a nice day this my homework

I am So so happy to meet you guys I hope we have a nice and pleasant tour of mountain SIDULIVATI. There’s no need to worry about this volcano, but you know I better call it a mountain cus you know it has been inactive for about you know 20decades,’. Promised the tour guy. We keep on following him. On one spot he told us about 200decades ago about the times of the stone age it exploded after that there was absolutely no exploding. But by the time he stopped we all feel a token moving down our feet. like we were in a pound of worms. The big boom sound was heard from the volcano that was bleeding from his heart. He snarls. He blazes into an inferno. We ran. We screamed. But he kept exploding…

Beth
        Participant

Hi Sofia,

Some nice work, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 4

In today’s lesson we continued our writing challenges, focusing in today’s lesson on some techniques particularly common in suspense writing. We began our lesson looking at perspective and how it can communicate different types of narrative, before moving on to thinking about the trope of the unreliable narrator and different ways in which a narrator can be untrustworthy. We looked at some famous examples of this technique and discussed the purpose of it being used. We then touched on different forms that foreshadowing can take, and subtle techniques that can help create intricate webs of suspense through foreshadowing, with the class writing some beautiful examples of both covert and overt foreshadowing to include in their pieces. Finally the class completed their challenges, which they did a gorgeous job of, combining all the ingredients into creative and evocative stories. Well done everyone- I was really impressed by your work today. Keep up the great ideas and I’ll see you next week 🙂

Video on unreliable narrators: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM7pALSwH_I&t=321s

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Vivienne
      Participant

Hello, Beth

Sorry for uploading my homework so late-

This is my homework for this week,

Have a nice day!

(Looking forward for the next lesson!)

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Vivienne,
        Convincing work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      SofiaL
      Participant

Hi Beth, sorry for the delay this is my homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Sofia,
        No worries!

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 5

In today’s lesson we continued our writing challenges, focusing in today’s lesson on some techniques revolving around perspective and chronology. We began by thinking about ways in which to make decisions about the perspective of a book- working with three different types of third person perspective (objective, limited and omniscient) which the students then used excellently in their challenges. We then spoke briefly about how to alter the chronology of a piece through techniques such as flashback, and spoke about the purpose of oxymoron. There was some really great work today- especially when it came to thinking about the links between oxymoron and anthithesis. Everyone came up with some lovely thoughts on perspective and wrote fab mystery pieces. Well done class, keep up the great work 🙂

Point of view video (watch the rest of if you have time): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz97FJL6VMo

Video on isocolon to help with homework: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0s4za13LCE3

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Emma
      Participant

Hi Beth!

This is my homework.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Emma,
        Very convincing work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 6

In today’s lesson we continued our writing challenges, thinking today about ways of creating new, unusual perspectives such as with bird’s eye view and digging deeper into how to create effective and intriguing settings. We spoke about the benefits and limitations of writing from a bird’s eye view, as required by the prompt, and considered the ways in which this could be interpreted both metaphorically and literally (the class were fantastic on this subject!) Secondly, the class thought about how to create a setting that was appropriate for their pieces, considering elements such as creating an emotional stake in the setting for the narrator or protagonist and using pathetic fallacy; they all used these elements wonderfully in their challenges too. Amazing work from everyone today- I really enjoyed hearing everyone’s contributions and absolutely every student had so many wonderful ideas! Excellent work, keep it up and I’ll see you next week 🙂

Setting video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORKI1h1xWLM

Pathetic Fallacy examples if you’d find it helpful to see some: https://penlighten.com/pathetic-fallacy-explained-with-examples

Homework

Homework

This is due Monday at 3pm.

Attachments:
      SofiaL
      Participant

Hi, Beth, I’m sorry I was a bit busy last week, so I forgot the homework. but now I got my time packed and planned, so this is my homework assignments for this week😁

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Sofia,
        No worries at all!
        Charming work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 7

In today’s lesson we completed our final writing challenge in the lesson, working on some new ideas regarding word choice and linguistic play. We looked today into the notion of linguistic ecosystems, where the language mimics the themes of the writing, and spoke about defamiliarizing verbs and specifying nouns. Furthermore, we looked at the notion of puns and how to create a climax even in a piece of non-fiction. We touched briefly on the notion of character creation to ensure a powerful, opinionated voice in persuasive writing and thought about how this could influence the semantic field and tone of the writing. Finally, the students engaged in some revision of the advanced techniques we have studied, such as prolepsis, unreliable narrator and parallelism. Brilliant work from the class today- I absolutely loved the puns they came up with and thought they were so creative and hilarious! Really outstanding progress has been made in each and every student’s writing over the past several weeks and I am so happy with all of their work! Watch the rest of the video below if you get a chance and remember to have a quick revision before our mock next week. Really well done class, I am very impressed with you all. See you next week! 🙂

Word choice video to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKoOxrcVnHM

Writing exercise video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzi17WRMpN8

Homework

Homewr

Attachments:
      SofiaL
      Participant

Hi Beth, sorry it is a bit late.see you soon 😀

Dear, Daisy:

Hey,I heard that you’re considering taking a tattoo from your last letter. So you’re worried and question what kind of tattoo to get? What do you prefer up-going or more mystery Tattoos? Well as your friend I appreciate that you would encounter my suggestion.

Recently had a phrase called misunderstood and unappreciated tattoos are a beautiful art form. Well, my first suggestion is you could have a mysterious tattoo or you know kind of special one just for you.

My second suggestion is you could have a dog supply tattoo. And other words it’s like tattoos that have kind of a dog meaning but it’s not like that dark, but you cannot believe in that. But it would just look cool.

While you are working about what to get,Well why don’t you let me tell you something funny.one of my friends was working to chose an English name, and we heard a boy saying that he got a list of girl’s English names, we were questioned about how and why would he have a list of names right now. Then she rubbed his sleeve and we saw a list of names on his arm.. he told us that when he liked a girl that attracted him he wrote her name down then he got 36 of them(hahahaha).

My last suggestion is, I think you’re too small to get a tattoo but you know the ones that go to kids then you could have a permanent time of getting that kiddo tattoos. Sorry if you are in training to get a tattoo I wouldn’t mind you, however, for your health, I suggest you too try the kiddo’s tattoos first or before you get a real to because that would be permanent to get used to it.

Sincerely Sofia

Beth
        Participant

Hi Sofia,
        No worries!
        Some okay work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 8

In today’s lesson we completed our mock exam based on our writing challenges course, which encouraged the students to complete pieces of writing with various constraints and ingredients that needed to be included. The class began with some metaphor work, with the class showing off their skills at using figurative language. We then moved on to the exam itself which consisted of two writing challenges- one fiction, one non-fiction. Well done everyone for today’s mock! It has been a pleasure to see each one of you grow and develop every week in your writing, becoming more and more confident and finding your own unique voices. You all worked very diligently today, and were all wonderfully hard-working and passionate about your writing. Brilliant work everyone, I really look forward to reading your mocks and hope you’ve enjoyed our most recent course! See you for the summer one 🙂

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Emma
      Participant

Hi Beth!

Here is my mock! Have a great week!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Emma,
        Fab work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      SofiaL
      Participant

hi Beth sorry about the delay, this is my mock, have a great week

metaphors
      The smell of tea is watching how life works standing between the clouds.

Time is an unreliable innocent drop of water.

The trampoline is gummy bears.

Writing challenge 1

I woke up to the smell of burning, I ran down the wooden stairs, the red snakes were crying with sheer rage and eagerness as they ran like lighting upstairs to get my sisters and my parents.

In hunger, I saw the unquenched flames, laughing, jumping, celebrating.

Last, night mom promised us to make breakfast in bed, because today was one of my sister’s birthdays. I was the first to get in bed, though I was too tired. Amy my big sister was helping mom to cook dinner for dad,  and Steph was cooking the boiled soup for today. it turned out that Steph forgot to quench the fire.

Thank God I paid attention Emergency Management Lecture, I remembered that sand would put out the fire, luckily my little sister had a glass of sand for playing, I used the sand but unfortunately, that did not work out for the devil. the fire soon smothered upstairs and woke up dad……

Writing challenge 2
      Hey did parents have you ever been blown up by your disappointed child?

Well, I think I would take a yes to that question. So let’s talk about how to cooperate with us. well as a teenager myself I think the most misunderstanding thing is parents like to compare us with another child, in that case, that will make us very disappointed, and inferior about ourselves, therefore we wouldn’t have the strength and the courage to start again and to be better.

Another lethal force of beings parents is you don’t have instruction, I hardly believe this. Even though, lots of people who have children, are the first to have children, no doubt lots of people……however why don’t you look horizontal, you can see how your neighbors, relatives, friends, elders, cope with us.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Sofia,
        No worries!
        Great work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
Viewing 27 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar