Forums 2023 Winter Courses Writing-Year567-Mon

Viewing 125 reply threads
  • Author
      VMWEdu
      Keymaster
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 1

In today’s lesson we began our new course on writing challenges, where every week the students will be introduced to two writing challenges- one fiction, one non-fiction- with various elements of style, grammar, and language that they have to include. These lessons are about honing the class’s writing skills and enabling them to practice lots of different types of writing, alongside evaluating their own and others’ work. They will throughout our lessons together form a large base of written work with which to experiment, and practice writing in many different genres, formats, and styles. The class produced some excellent work today based on a prompt that required them to think about using structure stylistically and engaging with the genres of mystery and horror. We spoke about prepositional phrases, parallelism, auditory imagery, and the use of breaking conventions in order to create tension and suspense. Fantastic work today everyone, well done for all your fab ideas & really in-depth self-evaluations. I can’t wait to read what you come up with for homework. See you next week 🙂

P.S. Remember that you can use the PowerPoint to help you with the homework writing challenge and if you have any questions you can post them below.

Isocolon video for homework: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0s4za13LCE&feature=emb_logo

Parallelism video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l2FgUrln1A

Homework

hmwr j

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Shangchen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is my homework attached.

Thank you for the fantastic lesson!

Shangchen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Shangchen,

You’re so welcome!
        Lovely work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Please find my homework attached. Thanks for your fabulous teaching.

Best,

Yichen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

You’re welcome!

Amazing work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      bruceL
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the amazing lesson.

Bruce

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Bruce,

Excellent work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      zile
      Participant

Dear Beth

Thank you for all your lessons!

Here is my creative writing homework from Zile:

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Zile,

I think you’ve uploaded the first writing challenge, when the homework was to do the second one. If you upload the right file I can get it marked ASAP 😀

zile
          Participant

Oops

Here is the second part

Attachments:
      michaelP
      Participant

hi beth

here is my homework
      <p style=”text-align: center;”>michael</p>

michaelP
      Participant

my homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Michael,

I think you’ve uploaded the first writing challenge here, when the homework was the second one. If you upload the right file soon I can get it marked 😀

stacy chen
      Participant
      1. Dear Pauly,

These days, I’d been hearing a lot about ghosts. I’d just want you, Pauly to be aware of these malicious ghosts that had magically appeared! Nobody has yet found any of clear evidence!

If you are used to floor boards creaking at  your house or walls tapping, then you would be really familiar about this.

Would it be scary if it exists? Would everybody  be escaping to another country? Or would they stay? This is a more than a collective decision ever! If it happens to you,ESCAPE AS FAST AS YOU CAN!

Beth
        Participant

Hi Stacy,

Good work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      jaydenP
      Participant

Hi Beth, thank you for the amazing lesson!!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jayden,

You’re welcome!
        Some nice work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      sanya
      Participant

Hi Beth

Here is my homework for this week :

Dear Auntie Charlotte,

I have heard you complaining about these weird sounds coming from your room last night and I have come to try and sort some things out. You have explained to me that there was some rustling and scratching coming from underneath your bed, but me and my dad checked there last night and there was nothing but an old pile of dirty socks !

If you are saying that it might be a dirty sock monster trying to steal all of your socks then I have come to say that is not true. Every night you have to come to your room to check everywhere : in your wardrobe, under your bed, behind the covers, and almost every corner ! I have come to your room yesterday night, and the night before, and the night before, and the night before and th-. Well you get the point.

Tonight, I hope you have a good sleep and hopefully, the “monster” wont come again. Also before you go to bed, may you please tidy up the mess of socks under the bed ? It’s driving my mum mad .

Wishing you the best sleep,

Sanya xx

Beth
        Participant

Hi Sanya,

Super work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Claire
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thanks for the great lesson. Here is my homework. See you next week and have a nice day!

Kind regards,

Claire

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Claire,

You’re very welcome!
        Wonderful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

Dear Lisa,

I’ve heard that you’ve heard strange sounds coming from the walls, it’s probably just your neighbor’s cat scratching the walls right? I’ve heard you talking about ghosts yesterday, ghosts are not real but you somehow think that ghosts exist. Well I think you are just scared because of the horror movie we watched last week. I heard you talk about weird sound coming from your closet in a strange way, it’s probably just the wind blowing through the little hole you never patched up, it can’t be anything else because you always lock your door and close all of the windows when you sleep.

I know that they’re creaking sounds in your room but I think it’s just your floorboards creaking. I really hope you don’t get scared when there’s no light on because that’s what you always say, I’m like that too but it’s nothing to be scared about when you get used to it. I know that you really don’t like the dark but there isn’t going to be a monster or anything in your room. You just need to get over it then you’ll get used to the dark (even though I can’t sometimes.) Sometimes, I hear you say that you’re scared of something in your room but I think you might be imagining it.
      I hope this helped you get better sleep because it really looks like you need some!

From your beloved friend Emily

Beth
        Participant

Hi Emily,

Nice work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:

Hi Beth,

Here is my homework, thank you!

Kind regards,

Jessie

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jessie,

Brilliant work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Charlotte
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the great lesson!

Charlotte
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the great lesson!

Charlotte
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is my homework.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Charlotte,

Splendid work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

You’re so welcome! 😀

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 2

In today’s lesson we continued our new course on writing challenges, looking today at notions such as semantic field, semi-colons to suggest thematic relation and embedded clauses. We began the class with a fiction prompt requiring the students to think about different ways to use the semantic field of warfare (i.e., through metaphor, word choice, allusion etc.) alongside some grammatical and technical considerations such as semi-colons and similes. We worked through many examples of semantic fields and discussed how they can be used to layer language and meaning- i.e., juxtaposing subject matter with tone and emotion like love juxtaposed with the semantic field of poison. Excellent work everyone; as always, remember to save your writing challenge and your self-evaluation (mark out of ten, WWW, EBI) and I’ll see you next week! 🙂

Video on semantic fields: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqz00WbWggY

https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/grammar/punctuation-the-colon-semicolon-and-more/introduction-to-semicolons/v/semicolons-and-complex-lists-the-colon-and-semicolon-punctuation-khan-academy

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Felix
      Participant

Don’t you think that children always get blamed for problems just because they’re young. Adults believe that just because they’re older, have more experience and have power over certain things, they can blame lower people like children for their society problems.  We children are demonised by this over balance in power and may be forced to take blame for everything little mistake adults make. After interviewing Miss Cosmos, the strict science teacher, I also learnt that adults will tend to get used to this unacceptable behaviour. Mister Card, our art teacher, has said that he uses children to take blame of the ruined equipment in the art room, though has revealed that he actually wrecks the expensive equipment himself when behaving childishly. That probably explains why some of you have been blamed for breaking the new hot glue gun. Rapid rumours have been spreading throughout the students as to whether Marcus Adams really cracked the enormous, beloved beaker of Miss Cosmos’ and I personally think she did it herself. Teachers are always like a running rabbit when they’re blaming student; last week I was told off by Mister Galaxy (the sports teacher) for popping a basketball which I certainly didn’t do and I saw in person that Mister Galaxy had popped it when shooting at the hoop! Adults always blame the first child in sight they’re blaming and now it feels like even the windows are watching us intensely. Strangely, this information has never reached the school paper before and I hope that my research has helped a lot of you children. Please change your ways, teachers and you better do it quick…

Beth
        Participant

Hi Felix,

Attachments:
      Felix
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thank you for the lesson. Please find my homework above.

Tangtang2
      Participant

Hi Beth, please find my homework below. Thanks for the amazing lesson. Changxun

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Changxun!

Attachments:
      jaydenP
      Participant

Hi beth,

thank you for the amazing

Attachments:
      michaelP
      Participant

Hello beth

here is my homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Michael,

Some good work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Shangchen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thank you for the fabulous lesson!😃

Shangchen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Shangchen,

You’re very welcome!
        Superb work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      bruceL
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is my homework.

Thank you for the lesson.

Bruce

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Bruce,

You’re welcome!

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

As you know that young people like us are always blamed for very little or big things in the world just,  that they think you will just get other it because we’re still kids. They All think that we can eat it up and forget about it in one day or a few days. But we can’t really get other some things that quickly and we can hold onto for about a whole month.
      The English teacher said that she always tells us off because we always do these little things and not paying attention to the class but it doesn’t really effect anything except some vocabulary.
      We student’s always the one that gets in trouble even though we really didn’t do it!
      Parents and teachers think that if they blame us we forget about it in the future.
      When we were walking around the school I saw Mrs. Riley the art teacher throw her classes art homework onto the floor and leave, that why I got a F for ‘not bringing my homework’. Which means sometimes the teacher is the reason and not us. We need to have more trust and respect.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Emily,

Attachments:
      sanya
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thank you for the amazing lesson !

Please find my homework attached below

Sanya 🙂

sanya
      Participant

Don’t you think that young children are getting blamed too much for society’s problems ? I do. Most people think that just because some people are older than others, then that means that they have less responsibility than others. These people are demonised .That means that they are very wicked and threatening. I am sure that the people that blame the younger children are wrong. Young people and older people should be treated equally and none should be accused of doing something if you haven’t been seen doing that thing .

My teacher Miss Disbray accuses us of doing everything. Last week, Miss Walker-Hall (my class teacher in school and also the best teacher in the world) was taking her job for one day and she accidentally spilled some of her coffee on the floor. She cleaned it up (obviously) but there was a teeny tiny little stain on the floor. The next day when Miss Disbray came back, She accused me of it. See, it just isn’t fair ! People need to learn how to trust us more and treat us better . (and tell the truth more )

Beth
        Participant

Hi Sanya,

Attachments:

Hi Beth,

Thank you for the lesson!

Here is my homework, thanks 🙂

Jessie

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jessie,

You’re welcome!

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

My homework is attached below.

Thank you for the brilliant lesson,

Yichen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

You’re very welcome!

Terrific work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Claire
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the brilliant lesson this week. My homework is in the attachments box. Have a nice day!

Kind Regards,

Claire

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Claire,

You’re so welcome!

Beautiful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      zile
      Participant

Dear Beth,

This is my homework for week 2

From Zile

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Zile, is this the right document, or maybe you posted in the wrong forum? It seems to be a different brief. If you get this writing challenge up I can mark it asap! 🙂

stacy chen
      Participant

Dear Beth,

This is my homework for Lesson 2.

Thank You for mending.

From Stacy

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Stacy,

Good work this week,  I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Charlotte
      Participant

Hi Beth thanks for the lesson, and sorry for being late.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Charlotte,

No worries!
        Good work, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 3

In today’s lesson we continued our writing challenges, focusing in today’s lesson on some advanced and extended metaphor work and also the three new techniques of allusion, prolepsis and antithesis. We began the class with a non-fiction prompt requiring the students to think about persuasive writing that included an equal amount of figurative and persuasive techniques. We touched on the connotational effect of metaphor and spoke about how prolepsis is about ‘reading the future’ of what your opposition might claim to discredit your opinion. We also practiced some work on allusion, thinking about what effect the technique creates and how this can overlap with metaphor, thinking about how it pulls the language of other stories or ideas like tendrils. The class then went on to write their pieces; well done today everyone, really great work and a fantastic grasp of some complex ideas. Keep up the amazing work and see you next week 🙂

Allusion video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF3ANKEPoko

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
        zile
        Participant

Hi Beth

This is my homework from Zile

Attachments:
          Beth
          Participant

Hi Zile,

Attachments:
      michaelP
      Participant

hi beth

here is my homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Michael,

Great work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Claire
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Here is my homework for week 3 below in the attachments box. See you next week and have a nice day!

Kind Regards,

Claire

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Claire,

Gorgeous work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Tangtang2
      Participant

Hi Beth, I really enjoyed this week’s lesson, thanks!☺️
      My homework is below 👇🏻.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Tangtang,

Happy to hear that!

Attachments:
      bruceL
      Participant

Hi Beth,

thanks for the lesson.

Here is my homework.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Bruce,

You’re welcome!

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thank you for the wonderful lesson and have a happy rest of your week! My homework is attached below.

Kind Regards,

Yichen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

You’re so welcome, and thank you!

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

“It’s been inactive for decades” promised the tour guide.
      “Are you sure that it’s not going to suddenly erupt at any moment?” Asked Andy.
      The tour looked at Andy with a serious face and nodded, he started to lead the way around the volcano. “This volcano ….” While we were following the tourist I noticed something strange and unusual about the volcano. By looking at it makes me feel that an earthquake is coming. Suddenly, saw strange gases coming out of the the volcano which made me kind of nervous. I tugged the tourist’s sleeve, “Hey, are you sure that it’s not going to erupt?
      “Of course it won’t!” The tourist said impatiently.
      The tourist turned around and continued to show the guests around the volcano, I suddenly felt like a earthquake is approaching, I turned around to see the volcano is starting to produce more and more grey cotton candy.
      “The volcano is surrounded by grey gas!” I shouted,
      “It’s probably just some grey clouds floating by the volcano nothing serious” The tourist said.
      Suddenly, the floor started to shake and I could see the bottom of the volcano start to turn slightly red, it suddenly bursted open. I could see the tourist’s face his mouth was wide open, he started to calm people down and lead them back the way we came from.

And that’s the most unexpected day I had in my whole life.(Of course I was safe.)

Beth
        Participant

hi Emily,

Attachments:
      Shangchen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is my homework attached👇,

Thanks for the wonderful lesson!😀

Shangchen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Shangchen,

You’re so welcome!

Attachments:
      Jin
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is my homework,

“What, a volcanic eruption? Stop lying! This mountain has been dormant for centuries,” their guide smugly stated, leading them over the difficult terrain with their faces more and more concerned. This voyage would possibly its their last moments unknowingly to them. Danger mounted but guide was anything but unnerved.

The guide said ironically that if the worst comes to the worst then it will be the tourists panic that will break rather than the volcano. But, what in the world led to the end of them in such dangerous conditions? It began with a charming Christmas commercial assuring one in a lifetime expedition to an inactive volcano with only 0.000000000000001233321233491901122% chance of eruption.

Their love for adventure made them go on a trip where in they got stranded on a distant volcanic island. In spite of their guide, they tried their best and followed the steps ,and no error stopped them hear the ominous mutter of the volcano.

The uneasiness had become a whole new level, the crisis was going to happen. Sudden quakes rocked the lands as deep earth fissures widened opening, the scalding flows spilling, ready to enclose them in its blazing limbs.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jin,

Super work, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:

Hi Beth,

Here is my homework. Sorry it’s late.

Kind regards,

Jessie

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jessie,

No worries!

Stunning work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 4

In today’s lesson we continued our writing challenges, focusing in today’s lesson on some techniques particularly common in suspense writing. We began our lesson looking at perspective and how it can communicate different types of narrative, before moving on to thinking about the trope of the unreliable narrator and different ways in which a narrator can be untrustworthy. We looked at some famous examples of this technique and discussed the purpose of it being used. We then touched on different forms that foreshadowing can take, and subtle techniques that can help create intricate webs of suspense through foreshadowing, with the class writing some examples of both covert and overt foreshadowing to include in their pieces. Finally the class completed their challenges, which they did wonderfully, utilising suspense in creative and eye-catching ways. Amazing work everyone, well done 🙂

Video on unreliable narrators: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM7pALSwH_I&t=321s

Homework

hwmrk

Attachments:
      stacy chen
      Participant

Dear Beth,

This is my homework for Writing class, sorry it’s late.

Thank you for marking my last week’s homework!

Stacy

“ It’s been in active for decades,” promises the tour guide, a huge group of people were watching the view of the colossal volcano. When suddenly, it erupted from the top of the volcano’s head!The air was covered in mist, thick black.

The tour guide was aghast to see this happening unexpectedly, the people and I became to get really nervous and horrified. Now, I’m really sure that I have breathed most of the gas and ash from the volcano! I could feel the anger of the volcano as it is trembling underneath me like mad. The huge infernos splutters out huge chunks of the little rock like vomit!

As it started to erupt towards our side, it grew more powerful that anybody could hardly breath.We stagger to our feet and ran for our lives as fast as a leopard and into town. Scared that it would erupt again.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Stacy,

No worries, and you’re very welcome!

Attachments:
      Tangtang2
      Participant

Hi Beth, amazing lesson this week , thanks!
      My homework is below. ⬇️

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Tangtang,

Attachments:
      stacy chen
      Participant

Dear Beth,

This is my homework for this week’s Writing class

Thank you for marking my homework every lesson!

Stacy

‘ Whilst unpleasant animal testing is a necessary evil.’ Unfortunately, little animals like hamsters are being treated poorly by human, but not all of them. But fortunately, now doctors are trying to make more medical treatments for the small animals and hope that they then can get well soon and live in a better environmental place. Due to that I’m a person that works for the ‘ Animal Trust’, hospital ( although it’s a bit disgusting to work there because you have to deal with a lot of the things). I recommend that if you are a doctor, you should start thinking of a better medical treatment for the pet’s.

Some people are now thinking:’ what an easy job that is’ or ‘ how unethical that job is’. It is not that easy and I mean it. Think about it, if you were the pet that is being treated badly, you wouldn’t be happy either. I agree that it is a really <b>unpleasant evil</b>.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Stacy,

You’re very welcome!

Attachments:
      Shangchen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is my homework attached ,

Thanks for the wonderful lesson!

Shangchen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Shangchen,

You’re welcome!

Attachments:
      Claire
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Here is my homework for Lesson 4 in the attachments box below. Have a nice day!

Kind Regards,

Claire

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Claire,

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

Some people had asked me if animal testing is evil or not well I think it’s bad for the animals, some animals are going extinct because of it.When people are using animals for tests the either die or have some kind of disease but sometimes it actually works( of course in a small chance). It will lead a lot of animals to die out or even lose an eye, it causes sometimes poison to them that makes them sick. It makes them suffer under conditions that are untreated.
      You’re forcing the poor animals to be an experiment that might kill them. I know you’re going to say ‘but it sometimes help the humans to consume healthy food!’ Well it is in fact but I think it is a harm to animals because they are a living creature as well not just you. It harms the nature but sometimes also helps us test new things out (even though it’s difficult to). It may lead to animals distinct, animals and humans are never exactly the same so that if they die from it you might actually not even lose a hair so it’s not always accurate.  It is a waste of money and sometimes some substances tested, may never be used for anything useful in life. Therefore, animals should not be used in research or to test the safety of products because they have their own free will.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Emily,

Great work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      bruceL
      Participant

Hi Beth

Here is my homework attached

Thanks for the wonderful lesson.

Bruce

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Bruce,

You’re welcome!

Attachments:
      sanya
      Participant

HI Beth

Here is my homework for Lesson 4 :

Some people have been asked if anima testing is evil or not and i think that it is unethical and unhealthy for the animals and they need freedom. Some animals are getting extinct because of this. Animal testing uses strong chemicals and they can immediately get killed or sickened by this. More than 115 million animals have died including mice, rabbits,  rats, birds, fish, farm animals, dogs, cats ( and many more !)

I know you might say that it helps the scientists build up their work but still, it is not fair for the animals that has to suffer this mess and torture. We should care for our animals and help them instead of hurting them. Animals have feelings too you know ? We should care for our animals instead of putting them under pressure. How would you like it if a big giant went up to you and started putting lots and lots of. harsh chemicals in your body ?

Thank you

Sanay

Beth
        Participant

Hi Sanya,

Some nice work this week, I’ve  attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      sanya
      Participant

HI Beth

Here is my homework for Lesson 4 :

Some people have been asked if anima testing is evil or not and i think that it is unethical and unhealthy for the animals and they need freedom. Some animals are getting extinct because of this. Animal testing uses strong chemicals and they can immediately get killed or sickened by this. More than 115 million animals have died including mice, rabbits,  rats, birds, fish, farm animals, dogs, cats ( and many more !)

I know you might say that it helps the scientists build up their work but still, it is not fair for the animals that has to suffer this mess and torture. We should care for our animals and help them instead of hurting them. Animals have feelings too you know ? We should care for our animals instead of putting them under pressure. How would you like it if a big giant went up to you and started putting lots and lots of. harsh chemicals in your body ?

Thank you

Sanay

sanya
      Participant

sorry Beth, i spelt my name wrong 🙈

*Sanya

Hi Beth,

Here is my homework for this week.

Thank you so much!

Kind regards,

Jessie 🙂

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jessie,

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the wonderful lesson. My homework is attached below. Have a great day!

Kind Regards,

Yichen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

You’re welcome!

Some good work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 5

In today’s lesson we continued our writing challenges, focusing in today’s lesson on some techniques revolving around perspective and chronology. We began by thinking about ways in which to make decisions about the perspective of a book- working with three different types of third-person perspective (objective, limited and omniscient) which the students then used excellently in their challenges. We then spoke about how to alter the chronology of a piece through techniques such as flashbacks and spoke about the purpose of oxymorons. Good work today everyone, I particularly liked hearing your plans for other stories that would work in an unusual chronology with flashbacks, etc., and thought your writing was excellently done. Keep up the fantastic work, see you soon 🙂

Point of view video (watch the rest of it if you have time): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz97FJL6VMo

Video on isocolon to help with homework: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0s4za13LCE3

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
        zile
        Participant

Hi Beth!

Sorry for being late to hand in

Here is my homework

Attachments:
      michaelP
      Participant

hi beth here is my homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Michael.

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the wonderful lesson and have an amazing day! My homework is attached below.

Kind Regards,

Yichen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

You’re so welcome, and thanks!

Gorgeous work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      jaydenP
      Participant

Hi Beth, thank you for the amazing lesson

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jayden, I’m not sure you attached the right file here. If you attach the right one, I can get it marked ASAP 😀

Charlotte
      Participant

Hi Beth thanks for the wonderful lesson it was great!

Attachments:
        Charlotte
        Participant

Sorry I wrote something wrong

Beth
        Participant

Hi Charlotte,

That’s okay, what did you write wrong? I’ll upload your feedback below for now, but if there’s a mistake you wanted to correct, I’m happy for you to upload a new version for me to mark.

Fab work this week, see you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Tangtang2
      Participant

Hi Beth,
      Thanks for the amazing lesson this week, I really enjoyed it.
      Below is my homework.:)
      Tangtang

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Tangtang,

Happy to hear it!

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

Dear  Government Hanis Rodger,

I have heard your message about banning fireworks but I don’t think that is needed.
      Well I do have to say that they sometimes may explode but if you handle it correctly that is not very likely to suddenly explode. It serves a lot of joy and entertainment to the crowds. As I know, that there has been rumours of fireworks being hazardous but please don’t believe all that I can assure that if you that as long as fireworks are used responsibly, there is no significant risk associated with them. I think it is important to give the civilians beautiful and celebratory form of entertainment like the fireworks. They won’t be such a hazard if you use them carefully, correctly.
      Please do not let these unsubstantiated claims lead you to restricting this beloved activity that many people love.
      Well sometimes the fireworks are not precariously attached to the post and might fall to the side, changing the direction of where it’s going. If the civilians use it carefully it won’t cause much of a problem to them and wouldn’t be a hazard. Lastly, fireworks aren’t a big hazard if used properly, it may be dangerous but when you see the end result it is worth it.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Emily,

Nice work this week,  I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      bruceL
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the amazing lesson .

Here is my homework.

Bruce

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Bruce,

You’re welcome!

Attachments:
      sanya
      Participant

Hi Beth, thank you for the amazing lesson

Here is my homework for  Lesson 5 :

Dear Local Council,

I  have heard about how much fireworks is needed because it brings lots of families together, but I don’t think it is needed. When you put on fireworks, it explodes to make beautiful fireworks in the sky but as much as that is fun, it is not good for the environment. Fireworks release smoke and greenhouse gases which increases the rate of global warming.Normally, fireworks are really dangerous and harmful for the environment and that is why most people don’t let children play with sparklers unless they are above the age of 6.

Fireworks are precarious and they leave chemicals and smoke in the air for days which will go onto different lands and into the air  which would leave harsh chemicals. The more there is, the worse it is for the world. We all do fireworks on special days such as bonfire night, Christmas, Diwali, on Chinese new year, and on many more. You are only allowed to buy fireworks if you are over 18 because it is not safe.

Thank you

Sanya

Beth
        Participant

Hi Sanya,

Super work this week,  I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:

Hi Beth,

Here is my homework! Thanks 🙂

Kind regards,

Jessie

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jessie,

Stellar work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      stacy chen
      Participant

Dear Beth,

This is my homework for this weeks class

Stacy

Dear Sir,

I would like to say that people who are putting fireworks late at night should be aware that it is very dangerous due to that some people are sleeping in at nighttime. It could cause serious injury and deadly disaster. Some people disagree, but I agree seriously, I think that it should be controlled and be only used for the royal family. It shall not be used at public’s if only your community and government allows you to.

Unfortunately, some people say that they should not be banned because they are used to celebrate Chinese new year, new year or special celebrations. If fireworks were banned, some people may overreact as if they are going to burst like an explosive volcano! So for now on,  I think that fireworks can be used only in a big field because some people may not like fireworks or they would think that their place is a safe environment. I think you should do that as people may be angry if we listen to the other people side and the other people who like fireworks may think that it’s not fair.

Kind Regards,

Stacy

Beth
        Participant

Hi Stacy,

Good work, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      zile
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Sorry for being late to hand in

Here is my homework

Beth
        Participant

Hi Zile, there’s no document attached to your message – if you upload it I can mark it ASAP 🙂

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 6

In today’s lesson we continued our writing challenges, thinking today about ways of creating new, unusual perspectives such as with a bird’s eye view and digging deeper into how to create effective and intriguing settings. We spoke about the benefits and limitations of writing from a bird’s eye view, as required by the prompt, and considered how this could impact the reader. Secondly, the class thought about how to create a setting that was appropriate for their pieces, considering elements such as creating a setting reflecting the character’s personality and using pathetic fallacy; they all used these elements fantastically in their challenges too. Incredible work everyone- wonderful writing and concentration today, I was so impressed. See you soon and well done 🙂

Setting video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh6ZstCasX4&t=293s

Pathetic Fallacy examples if you’d find it helpful to see some: https://penlighten.com/pathetic-fallacy-explained-with-examples

Homework

mhwr

Attachments:
      sanya
      Participant

Hi Beth,

here is the homework for writing challenge number 13 :

Dear Annie,

I have heard how you really want those lovely, unicorn tattoos. I am here to tell you that that is not a good idea and they can be very harmful f0r your skin. Tattoos breach your skin and they have damaging  chemicals which could  have skin infections including allergies and your skin could swell up. Do you want that ? Do you?

I know that you are craving for unicorn tattoos but I tell you, they are not easy to wash off. So that means that it is permanent. I have a friend called Alyssa, and she wanted a dolphin tattoo so her mother got it for her. Then after a couple of days, she had a rash going all over her arm and she had to stay  out of school for 2 weeks (thats a lot because she is my bff ) and I felt so sorry for her. I even made a GET WELL SOON  card for her and bought some flowers. Anyway, my point is that you should never get tattoo because as soon as you get it, you will regret it (that rhymes).

I really hope that this letter will change your idea of getting tattoos because as I told you, they are extremely dangerous.

from your friend,

sanya

thank you beth for the amazing lesson. 😀

Beth
        Participant

Hi Sanya,

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thanks for your wonderful lesson. My homework is attached. Thanks.

Best,

Yichen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

You’re very welcome!
        Compelling work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      zile
      Participant

Hello Beth,

Below is my homework for this week

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Zile,

Some nice work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below.  See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      brianbwLiu
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the amazing lesson

Below is my homework

Bruce

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Bruce,

Fantastic work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      brianbwLiu
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the wonderful lesson

Below is my homework

Bruce

Tangtang2
      Participant

Hi Beth , below is my homework. Thanks .☺️

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Tangtang,

Fab work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

Dear Annabelle,

I had heard that you wanted to have a tattoo but before you actually get a tattoo I’ll just tell you the good stuff and the bad stuff about it so you can decide.
      Let’s start with the good things about tattoos! It’s a very beautiful art piece and lets you show what you feel! It’s mostly very pretty, some might be a little scary but after all it’s a very very masterpiece! I mean don’t you think it’s very beautiful too? It shows what you feel inside because sometimes you can’t tell what you’re thinking or feel. It makes you a little bit different from the other people. But… when I say that, it doesn’t mean that it’s a no consequence, it can infect your skin badly and might swell. You might have an allergic reaction or an itchy rash on your arm, the place where your tattoo is. That’s only a few issues with tattoos, you can even have a heart disease!
      It can affect your kidneys or even the liver very badly! You might get diabetes and other sicknesses.
      So if you really want a tattoo remember to be aware of those things! I had a friend that had a tattoo and he didn’t even get infected by these hazards, so tattoos are not a 100% a hazard but it’s not 100% safe so if you really want a tattoo be aware! Hope these warnings and ideas help you decide more, have a nice day!

Beth
        Participant

Hi Emily,

Lovely work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below.  See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Shangchen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the wonderful lesson! I really enjoyed it!😁

Shangchen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Shangchen,

You’re welcome, I’m glad to hear it!

Attachments:

Dear Beth,

Here is my homework

Thanks!

Jessie 🙂

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jessie,

Spectacular work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      stacy chen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is my homework for this week

I found it really fun

Stacy

Dear Julie,

Last week on Instagram, I heard that you would like a tattoo on your whole body. I would not recommend that, why?  I’ll tell you why right now. Firstly, last time when my friend did a tattoo, she literally took 6 hours to choose a tattoo because there are loads of good ones. I just sat there waiting for her as if I am going to get roasted on a pan like a sausage. Imagine that you were me, how would you feel?

Secondly, if you get a tattoo for example a unicorn, pony or horse similar to that, somebody may think that you are really babyish cause you chose either of that ( but of course you won’t but just imagine you did), they would call you names very seriously and you probably wouldn’t be able to escape them ( if they are fat or tall). So Silly!

Thirdly, if you get a tattoo, it may cause great and serious harm to your body because of the chemicals that is not coming off your bodies because it may stick on it for about 3 months if it’s a adult one and about 3 weeks if it’s a children one. It could harm your skin that could’ve been natural and beautiful but then wrinkly and old. That would not be nice wouldn’t it?

Lastly for this letter, if you want a beautiful skin for the rest of your life, you could come to my house or if you want to deliver it, a nice and good one like a spraying one, or a one like painting. It would not ruin your skin.

Kind Regards,

Stacy

Beth
        Participant

Hi Stacy,

Some nice work this week,  I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      michaelP
      Participant
      1. hi beth
      2. here
      3. is my homework
      Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Michael,

Attachments:
      Claire
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Here is my homework for Lesson 6. Hope you like it and have a nice week!

Kind Regards,

Claire

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Claire,

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 7

In today’s class we looked at counter-argument, dashes and syntax, thinking about how sentence structure can be used to add emphasis to writing. We learned about three different types and multiple uses of dashes, practicing these as a class, and then went on to discuss the way in which counter-arguments should be constructed and backed up. The class came up with some great comments on the purpose, tone and form of a letter to an MP and shared some really excellent examples of their writing. Very impressive work today class- well done for your engagement and ideas about a plethora of techniques, from allusion to syntax. Keep up the wonderful work, well done 🙂

Dashes video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLmDYzhv6Z0

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      sanya
      Participant

Hi Beth

Here is my homework for Writing Challenge 15 :

It was a dark night but I lay awake still in my bed thinking about what happened today when I was eating breakfast. My mother told me never to go to sleep straight away and always to think about my day that had happened. So I did. . I was thinking about how that nasty little bug came into my cereal when—CRASH! I screamed. It was a loud noise. It was like the sound of two cars crashing together. I sneaked out of my bed and peaked out of my curtain. and I saw nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. No cars . No street lamps. No people. No houses. No nothing. I was trapped in a city of darkness. The streets were void.

But there was one confusing thing. There were no cars and no nothing on the streets but there was something. A sound. A sound of someone screaming and shouting. Before my knew it, my little feet were carrying me out of the house and into the front garden to where the screaming was coming from. I was only seven but i really wanted to solve this problemWhen i reached there i noticed a little girl about my age and she was screaming and crying. After a lot of talking of saying ,that I was not a bad person and i even had to flip my pockets  inside-out to show her that i didn’t have a gun or a knife in it, she finally told me what was wrong.

Apparently, her parents just kicked her out of the house and onto the road. I asked her why but she just shrugged her shoulders. i walked her back to her house and told her parents tat a little girl didnt deserve to be left out in the streets in the rain and her parents let her back in again.I then went back to my own house and told my parents that i was scared and they let me sleep in their room.

I really hope the road is better tomorrow

Sanya

Thank you 🙂

Beth
        Participant

Hi Sanya,

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

A blanket of darkness covered the city. A blackout. And I was trapped in a dark room somewhere in a strange apartment, it was a complete void from what I was seeing so far, with my hands tied behind my back and a gag over my mouth. I looked around but the only thing I could see was darkness. My legs were tied together too! I decided to listen to any sound, I heard some people talking, I leaned forward stand heard this… ‘What should we do with her? Oh I know, how about…” The mysterious voice said.
      I looked around again noticing a bunch of random tools on the floor. ‘Looks like a basement’ I thought.
      I heard some rats scattering around feasting on some tiny pieces of cheese, I heard footsteps coming from the locked door. I heard the door unlocking, I was a helpless fish on the shore and death was creeping up on me.
      The door  unlocked. I saw a tall man wearing black and a lady wearing white next to him.
      “Look kid I just need to use you as a science experiment so now don’t move while I inject this quickly….” The mysterious man said un patiently…

Beth
        Participant

Hi Emily,

Great work this week,  I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Shangchen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is my homework work this week.

Thanks for the stellar lesson!

Shangchen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Shangchen,

You’re so welcome!

Attachments:
      jaydenP
      Participant

Thank you for the suypercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jayden,

Some good work, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      michaelP
      Participant

The blackout happened when we least expected it started on a day at school where the skies were unusually bright. At first I thought a missile was coming toward us but no it was just a EMP bomb that we send out to Japan for declaring war on us. We never expected them to attack out power grid and cut off all our electricity resulting in thousand of citizens passing away. Death lingered on every step of the way. I thought in a crisis like this why can’t we just join the army the answer was because the schools weren’t targeted.  None of us liked school not enough to even enjoy it.

Soon our whole skyline was filed with missile and a wave of debris fell on me…

Beth
        Participant

Hi Michael,

Some nice work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. Please make sure you read it and make use of it for next week! See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      bruceL
      Participant

Hi Beth

Thanks for the lesson

Here is my Homework

Bruce

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Bruce,

You’re welcome!

Super work this week,  I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Tangtang2
      Participant

Hi Beth, here is my homework. Thanks.:)

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Tangtang,

Incredible work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Claire
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Here is my homework for Lesson 7. I hope you like it (I wrote exactly 600 words). Thank you, and have a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious day! See you next week!

Kind Regards,

Claire

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Claire,

Thank you Claire, I hope you also have a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious day!

Amazing work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      zile
      Participant

Hi Beth

Here is my homework for this week

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Zile,

Gripping work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:

Hi Beth,

Here is my writing, thanks!

Jessie

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jessie,

Absolutely stellar work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Please find my homework attached. Thanks for your great teaching!

Best,

Yichen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

You’re so welcome!

Fabulous work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      stacy chen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

this is my homework for this week

I liked the homework very much

Stacy

That night, a blanket of darkness fell on the lovely city, without the moon shining on each apartment. The city was void with nothingness, not even a car light! You can’t see anything, nobody knows what’s going on outside, darkness. Each house and apartments lights are closed, only little lamps are opened. Candles and lamps shining ate each window, people and even children glaring from the grimy windows to see what is happening around the community.

Suddenly, as each lightbulbs died down outside, Flynn’s heart began to beat fast and LOUD! She rubbed her eyes and looked again into the streets, making sure it’s not a dream or imagination. She edged near the left window and saw something! Two car headlights! The cars had crashed into each other. Flynn thought of something. Is this dangerous and scaring? What happened to the drivers inside the car? Who is going to help them? All of these questions raced through her mind as she panicked. She doesn’t know what to do next.

She heard her neighbors child yelling and screaming as dramatic as the car crash! She was really worried about her nanny who lived right next to the car crash, she might not even know what is happening because nothing could wake her up! Flynn just wished that she had a Time Machine so she could travel back to the past. She was petrified…

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Stacy,

I’m glad to hear it!

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 8

In today’s lesson we completed our writing challenge in the lesson, working on some new ideas regarding word choice and linguistic play. We looked today into the notion of linguistic ecosystems, where the language mimics the themes of the writing, and spoke about defamiliarizing verbs and specifying nouns. Furthermore, we looked at the notion of puns and how to create a climax even in a piece of non-fiction. We touched briefly on the notion of character creation to ensure a powerful, opinionated voice in persuasive writing and thought about how this could influence the semantic field and tone of the writing. Lovely work today class, particularly when thinking about the way in which linguistic eco-systems create tone and atmosphere. Keep up the wonderful ideas- remember to bring some writing challenges to next lesson and see you then 🙂

Word choice video to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKoOxrcVnHM

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Felix
      Participant

HI BETH. HERES MY HW.

It’s amazing how much chaos can happen when friends go camping in a wild, verdant forest. We arrived at the whistling, watching forest at mid afternoon, when the wisps of scorching sun rained down on us. That’s when the first of the terrible anarchy began. Thomas and James rushed off into the emerald foliage while me and Luis prepared for an exciting forest fight. Forest fights were common between us four, we’d collect acorns, sticks, rocks and any other weapon and at midnight, when the darkest hour reigned, we’d begin. Thomas immediately melted into the whistling woods while James took a strategic path, finding tracks and trails of bird nests and squirrel homes, seeking only the most spectacular weapons. For I had the most experience with forest fights, I led Lius into a familiar clearing (which I used every time we came) and dug up an ample amount of acorns and rocks, a rippling pool of water and an abundance of stripped twigs and thick branches and boughs. “We’re almost ready,” I stated and darted into the clumps of foliage, Luis wandering behind. Rapidly and skilfully, I found a ridiculously wide, gnarly tree that cantered the vast forest and set a plastic peg into a swallow hole at the wide base. Again and again, I fitted sturdy handholds and footholds into the robust trunk and eventually reached the towering top. Leaves as thin as paper scratched at my grazed, blushing cheeks as ripped of some iron tools that hung at the very summit of the enormous oak. I’d bring these here beforehand to create pitfall (that were filled with oozing, sticky mud) and saw of logs to hollow that acted as hiding spots. At midnight, after a lavish meal of sausages, we took one torch each and headed into the twinkling forest in teams. Me and Luis sprinted through a moonlit trail, leaping over our own squelchy pitfall traps and avoiding noise. From a long distance my ears sensed a squelch nearby. I rolled behind a rustling hedge, watching Thomas struggling in knee deep mud. I threw a thoroughly painted acorn at Thomas, marking a scarlet marking on his forehead, showing that he was out. Retrieving stones from his pocket, Thomas rapidly rained me with bright red pebbles and I took cover in a smooth hollow log from earlier. I realised that Luis had disappeared from my sight, melting into the darkening woods, leaving no trail. Like a stubby worm, I wriggled out, pulling Thomas out so he could retreat to camp. Then, I darted through the forest with the determination of a furious tiger, searching for Luis. After searching, I realised he must’d been caught. Just me and James. I drew a sturdy bough from my pocket and dripped red cranberry juice on the rough tip. Then, I waited in a prickly hedge of stubby leaves. After a few minutes, I found James, rushing hastily. Stealthily, I dived behind and stuck out the gnarled branch,he tripped and a scarlet mark was emblazoned on his bouncy trainers. I’d won.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Felix,

Impressive work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Tangtang2
      Participant

Hi Beth , below is my homework. Thank tangtang.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Tangtang,

gorgeous work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      bruceL
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Below is my homework

BRUCE

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Bruce,

Good work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. Please read it carefully, and use it when writing your next piece. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      michaelP
      Participant

In the anarchy we remembered our died leader who left us stranded here.

At first we were sent out on a field trip into the woods we were all friends but there was a imposter among us we didn’t know this until the very end the stand of. The traitor named joey poisened our leaders drink in the morning and ever so slowly our leader died. We didn’t know the basics or how to get home we had no electronic devices on us even if we did we couldn’t get any signal to contact others to get help.  Then the chaos began we started blaming each other for our unfourtunate event

Beth
        Participant

Hi Michael,

Nice work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. Please take a moment to read this, and try to implement it in your future writing! See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      sanya
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is my homework for writing challenge number 16 :

“FIRE! FIRE! EVERYONE OUT!” screamed Emily. I didn’t want to get out. I wanted to stay. “Come on Edie, why aren’t you coming? We could die at this moment !” shouted Annie. Annie was my best friend since year 1 and now, this might be the last time I’m seeing her.

But I couldn’t move. I didn’t let my body to. I sat in the tent, wide-eyed staring into space. I could feel the heat. Suddenly, something dragged me out of my spot. I was so confused, I didn’t know what to do. Everyone was screaming and shouting and throwing things about when I was hanging mid air trying to figure out if my arm hurt after I pinched myself. It was on the verge of chaos and anarchy. Then I dropped. I couldn’t believe what was happening!

All I wanted to do was have a nice time and relax in a campsite for three days and now, I couldn’t even let that happen! A magical force shook me round and round and round until my waist ached. I didn’t like it here. AT ALL. The fire chased me round in circles until the whole campsite was filled with fire.

I wanted to see my mum and my dad and my little brother but right now, there was no chance. I shouldn’t have said yes to me and my friends visiting this place in the first place. I closed my eyes and thought of the things that I loved. The things that I like doing at home. My hobbies. Everything that made me happy. I opened my eyes. The fire had gone.

Thank you

Sanya 😀

Beth
        Participant

Hi Sanya,

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Here is my homework and thank you for the wonderful lesson. Have a lovely day!

Kind regards,

Yichen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

You’re welcome!
        Lovely work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      zile
      Participant

Hi Beth!

Down below is my homework for this week

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Zile,

Fab work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      Claire
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Here is my homework for lesson number 8. I hope you like it and I hope that you have a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious day!

Kind Regards,

Claire

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Claire,

Thank you, you too!

Gorgeous work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

“Hey, hey look at what I did guys!” Exclaimed Lorrence. I walked over to see a great fire burning down half of our wood fire. “WHAT!” I shouted, “YOU KNOW WE ONLY HAVE A SCARCE AMOUNT OF WOOD FIRE!”
      “Chill, you know I can ask for more at the reception.” Said Lorrence. I sighed and started to walk towards the tent that wasn’t even set up. “I can’t believe that so much chaos can happen when we go camping…”  I whispered to myself.

But I wasn’t ready for what was about to come.

Suddenly, I felt the ground rumbling beneath my feet. I looked around and saw a large group of people approaching us. I recognized them – they were anarchists!! With weapons in their hands, they charged towards us. “This is anarchy!” they shouted in unison.
      “RUN!” I exclaimed. Everyone took off in different directions, but I was paralyzed with fear. I knew I couldn’t outrun them – I was too slow. So I hid in the nearest bush, hoping the anarchists would just pass by.
      But they didn’t. They continued to search for us. The tension was palpable as I held my breath, fearing for my life.

Eventually, the anarchists gave up and continued on their way, leaving us to pick up the pieces. We all knew that this would be a camping trip that none of us would ever forget – and that anarchy would forever be associated with that fateful day.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Emily,

Super work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      Shangchen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Have an astonishing day!

Shangchen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Shangchen,

Thank you!

Great work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:

Hi Beth,

Here’s my homework.  Thanks! 🙂

Attachments:
        Shangchen
        Participant

it is this one!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jessie,

Lovely work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      stacy chen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is my homework for this weeks lesson,

I found it really useful

Stacy

In the middle of the wild  frightening woods, creepy animals and creatures are hiding between bushes or under the ground or even an animal that could camouflage in the woods like a chameleon! By the time it reaches sunrise or sunset, tents pinched on the grass by the nails will get approximately two times more than last night. How queer and amazing that is! All the different-sized sticks would go missing because all the family’s would either use it to explore during nighttime or to keep warm and cook yummy food with it like marshmallows and roasted pork or chicken.

The next day when it was chilly and foggy outside, Kobe, Fair, Paris and Trucker all went outside to build a nest of warm glaring fire. Fair said, “ Let’s play a game of two truths and one lie.”

“ Yeh, I’ve always wanted to play that game but I never really got a chance to!” exclaimed Paris with her heart pounding.

And they had a really nice day…

Beth
        Participant

Hi Stacy,

Glad to hear it!

Nice work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 9

In today’s lesson the class and I revised and revisited our work over the past eight weeks, thinking about consolidating our knowledge of the writing challenges they have been completing every week. We began with a starter exercise to help the students evaluate how the challenges have influenced their grasp of genre and techniques. We then completed some revision of the advanced techniques we have studied, such as prolepsis, unreliable narrator and parallelism, and the class wrote some examples of techniques of their choice. Finally, the class then went back through all of the writing challenges they had completed, identifying what they felt were their strongest and weakest pieces of work which they then improved using a writing exercise technique of their choice. Excellent job today guys, you all worked beautifully on your writing and shared fantastically throughout- keep it up and I’ll see you next week for our mock 🙂

Writing exercise video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzi17WRMpN8

Homework

hmwr k

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

This is exercise number 8:

Animal Testing: Why it Needs to stopped.

Animal testing is a controversial practice that has been used in science, research, and development for many years. Despite the benefits it may bring, it is a cruel and inhumane process that has been the subject of backlash and protests worldwide. In this article, we will explore why animal testing needs to be stopped, and the alternatives that are available.

What is Animal Testing?
      Animal testing refers to the use of animals, including mice, rats, and other mammals, in research and experimentation. The aim of animal testing is to gather data and information about many products, such as drugs and cosmetics, and to conduct medical experiments. Animals are chosen as experimental models because their biology and physiology are similar to those of humans, and they can provide insights into how human cells would react.

Why should we ban it?
      The animals don’t deserve to be tested on because they’re living beings on earth as well, not only us. Scientists force the animals to the experiment without their consent, even though the animals can’t talk they don’t deserve to be experimented on. Plus, most animals are killed after an experiment only some may be experimented on again.
      If a medicine works on animal it’s not likely that it’ll work on us humans, we are different species.
      So ban animal testing!

Beth
        Participant

Hi Emily,

Good work this week,  I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      Shangchen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

hope you have an excellent day!!!😀😀😀

Shangchen😀

Attachments:
      Shangchen
      Participant

Sorry,

Here is the updated version

Please read this one instead

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Shangchen,

Fabulous work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      bruceL
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the lesson

my homework is attached below

Bruce

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

hi Bruce,

You’re welcome!
        Super work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      zile
      Participant

Hi Beth

Here is my homework for the lesson

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Zile,

Some nice work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:

Hi Beth,

Here’s my homework. Thanks! 🙂

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jessie,

Great work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thank you for your amazing lesson! Have an exceptional day! My homework is attached below.

Kind Regards,

Yichen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

You’re welcome, and thank you!

Good work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      michaelP
      Participant

here are some reasons why homework should not be banned:

Homework helps students practice what they learn in class.

Homework provides parents with an insight into their child’s progress and struggles.

Homework helps teachers to gauge the progress of their students.

Homework teaches students responsibility and time-management.

The home environment is more productive than classrooms for some students.

Doing homework is linked to better academic achievement in high school and middle school.

Learn more:

Reasons in why homework should be banned are:

Firstly,  homework restricts a students freedom in  outdoor sports and it also confines a student in a small room or large and unpleasant on.

Secondly, there is no time for outdoor games this sucks because if you have sibling always pestering you to play with them well if you don’t they will cry and call you bad.

Thirdly,  there will be no time for exercise do you want to be fat and chubby if your answer is no then stop doing homework it waste your time so much that you wouldn’t have time for exercise.

Lastly, if you do to much homework and it ends up late in night you will wake up at random times in the day.

my homework

Beth
        Participant

Hi Michael,
        I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon

Attachments:
      michaelP
      Participant

here is my mock

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Michael,

Some nice work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:

Hi Beth, here is my mock response.

Thanks for the course, I enjoyed it! 🙂

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jessie,

I’m glad to hear it!
        Lovely work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

Beth this is my mock:

Mock exam 1:
      I woke up to the smell of burning, I sprang to my feet and ran out of my bedroom to see the horrifying scene in front of me. The whole house was on fire. How could this happen? What did I do to deserve this? I didn’t know. The air was thick with smoke, I knew I had to get out of there, quick. My heart was beating so fast that it felt like it was about to explode. I needed to evacuate here, I charged forwards and grabbed my keys, bursting through the door. I glanced back before evacuating, the flams were gulping down all my furniture, I saw my picture of my parents slowly smoulder into ash. Piece by piece my house was disintegrating, I clenched my fists and ran outside. This fire was like an all-consuming monster, threatening to ravage everything in its path. My whole house was ignited. My calm, peaceful heart was shattered to pieces from this scene in front of me. I could hear the firefighters coming their way towards my burning building.

Mock exam 2:
      Who to cope with teenagers, for despairing adults.
      Tips and Tricks for Surviving the Teenager Era as an Adult
      The Ultimate Guide to Surviving the Teenage Tornado.

As a parent, coping with teenage years can be one of the most challenging aspects of raising a child. After all, teenagers are going through a metamorphosis that’s full of changes and emotions, and it can be difficult to find common ground. Sometimes if you take your eyes off of the child for a while when you look back it could be a disaster. I understand how a horror, horrible and horrendous it could be.
      So if you’re a caretaker or parent reading this, you found the right place!
      Communication is key: It’s important to have open, honest communication with your teenager. This means listening to them,listening to their opinions, taking their concerns seriously, and showing empathy. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and try to understand their perspective of things.

Involve in activities:Even though, some teenagers are arrogant and would be self-discovery, but that doesn’t mean that they don’t want to be involved in activities and games! It’s a greater way to earn more trust and respect from the little adults. PS: don’t go easy on them because you’ll never know if they’re good at the game or not.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Emily,

Amazing work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 10

In today’s lesson we completed our mock exam based on our writing challenges course, which encouraged the students to complete pieces of writing with various constraints and ingredients that needed to be included. The class began with some metaphor work, with the class showing off their skills at using figurative language. We then moved on to the exam itself which consisted of two writing challenges- one fiction, one non-fiction. Well done everyone for today’s mock! It has been a pleasure to see all of you grow and develop every week in your writing, becoming more and more confident and finding your unique voices. You should be really proud of all your hard work and brilliant writing- it has been a joy working with you all. Keep up the amazing work, see you next course 🙂

Homework 

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Shangchen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is my My mock!

Thanks for the course! It was my favourite course so far!

Shangchen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Shangchen,

You’re welcome, I’m glad to hear it!
        Fab work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      sanya
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Her is my mock homwework

Thank you for the lesson:

I woke up to the smell of burning. “FIRE! FIRE!’’ Alder was shouting at me. “Get out of bed Ellen,” she said.

“How?”

“By sitting up and pulling the blanket off you,”she said. I rolled my eyes.

“I mean how did the fire start?”

“Gabe left the house with the fire on and then I tried to stop it but I was too late!!”

I sighed. Trust Alder to ruin everything. Alders my younger sister. She always bosses me around like she is the older one. She’s seven, I’m twelve. I quickly got out of bed and changed my clothes. You might think that I’m crazy for being so calm of a fire in the house but all of this happened in thirteen seconds.  I got out of my house and when I reached the front door, I kissed the house goodbye. It was the red light of the setting sun. I have lived in this house since I was born and I never wanted to move.

Everyone in our neighborhood was already on the streets looking at our flaming house and Alder was even crying a bit. I will never ever forget this day.

challenge 2

Teenagers can be annoying. We all know that. To stop this from happening you need to be a lot stricter to your children. This will make the children know that they can’t make you do something that you don’t want to do. Being a parent can be hard because as well as paying for the house you live in and all the gas and electricity, you also need to look after your children. When your children/child are/is sick, they need to be off-school and you have to stay with them.

Teenagers can annoy their parents and what you can do is just ignore them. That will make them feel like you’re not listening and you don’t care. Teenagers are normally on their phones all the time and they don’t really pay attention to what  you are talking about. Even though they are good friends to some people, they might not be mice to their family. They are sometimes really greedy. Sometimes, they are so greedy, they could eat the table,

However some teenagers are nice and some are not. It’s your luck…

sanya 😊

Beth
        Participant

Hi Sanya,

You’re welcome!

Good work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      Claire
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Here is my Mock Test. Have a nice day and see you soon!

Kind Regards,

Claire

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Hi Claire,</p>
        Thank you!

Beautiful work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Please find my mock. Thanks for your fantastic teaching.

Best,

Yichen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

You’re welcome!

Terrific work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      bruceL
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the teaching.

Here is my mock exams.

Bruce

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Bruce,

You’re very welcome!

Brilliant work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
Viewing 125 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar