Forums 2021 Autumn Courses Writing-Year34-Thur

Viewing 42 reply threads
  • Author
      VMWEdu
      Keymaster
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 1

In today’s lesson we began our work on creative writing, beginning with a study of playwriting and the tropes and conventions that should be used when writing for the stage. We considered what makes a play a play, discussing the role of performance and the audience, and then considered some examples of famous plays and playwrights. We then moved on to thinking about the format of a script and spoke about how stage directions can transform the feeling of a scene. The students then added their own stage directions to a very plain piece of dialogue to communicate what they thought the setting and characters could be in the scene. Finally, we discussed characterisation, considering how to create characters that worked well for particular genres of play (i.e., horror, mystery, comedy). It was a good start today and I was impressed by the knowledge of the features of a script that the class demonstrated. Well done everyone, I look forward to reading your scripts! 😊

Here is the video we watched with the tips from different playwrights (helpful for revision): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBvBHYbMIRo&feature=emb_logoed

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Emili
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is  my homework.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Emily,

Some exciting work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Neal
      Participant

Hello Beth,

Here is my homework. Thanks

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Molly,

Some fab work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Neal
      Participant

Sorry actually it’s Molly here.

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 2

In today’s lesson we continued our work on playwriting, expanding on the work we completed last lesson to think in more depth about specific dramatic techniques and concepts to include when writing a play. We began with a revision of the key conventions of playwriting which the class then used to complete some fantastic freewriting on the subject. We then moved on to thinking about key dramatic elements such as sound, lighting and set design before taking an in depth look at characterisation and how to create interesting characters that capture the audience’s imagination. Finally, we discussed some top tips on how to design the plot and narrative arc of a play, introducing the class to the notion of dramatic conflict and why it is important. Everyone worked really well today- lovely work guys! I look forward to seeing you all next week 😊

P.S. Remember to check out the helpful playwriting tips from Slides 6 and 7 on the PowerPoint to inspire you and you can look at the script on Slide 10 to remind you what yours should look like!

Video on characterisation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGRyP3p-YPI

Music for free writing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIYzp5rcTvU&t=390s

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Emili
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is my homework. Thanks.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Emily,

Great work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Molly
      Participant

Hello Beth, here is my homework. Thank you

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Molly,

You seem to have accidentally attached my marking from last week; do you have a copy of your script you could attach instead?

Molly
      Participant

Sorry Beth, here is my homework. Thank you

baobao
      Participant

Here is my homework.thank you

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Baobao,

Lovely work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Molly
      Participant

From Molly

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Molly,

Fab work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 3

In today’s lesson we began our study of poetry, focusing on the many different types of poem and how to use theme to find inspiration for our writing. We began by trying to define what a poem actually is, which the class wrote some beautiful metaphors and similes on, and watched a video which outlined the most important features of poetry. The class then chose a type of poetry from five different examples and used it as inspiration for their own original poems, centred around some wonderfully creative and humorous ideas. I thought everyone’s work today was outstanding, the class worked super hard and were really passionate about the subject. They were able to identify some really crucial elements of what makes poetry poetry, and articulated their ideas beautifully. Well done everyone, keep up the amazing work 🙂

Video on poetry we watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSjAjAy2ts4&feature=emb_logo

The website with lots of children’s’ poems on it: https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/browse#page=1&sort_by=recently_added&filter_poetry_children=1

Poetry types: https://www.kathimitchell.com/poemtypes.html

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Molly
      Participant

<b>The poem I like is called A night with a wolf by James Bayard Taylor’s. The type of poem is ballad. The poet write is because that’s just what happened in James Bayard Taylor’s life. The poem is about a wolf and James Bayard Taylor’s.</b>

Beth
        Participant

Wonderful choice of poem, Molly! I would love to hear more on the elements of James Bayard Taylor’s life that we see in the poem, just going into a little more detail. Overall, fab work, well done 🙂

baobao
      Participant

SPRING BREAK by April Helprin Wayland

Q1The poem is Ballad .Q2The poet wrote it because they went to Albuquerque fo a special family trip .Q3It is about a family that went to Albuquerque in a teal convertible .

Beth
        Participant

Wonderful work here, Baobao! I love the choice of poem and the way you include the detail of the teal convertible. I would love to see you telling us more about the storyline of the poem! Overall, super work, well done 🙂

Emili
      Participant

This poem is by Dave Ward the cake that makes you scream.

It is like a nonsense poem with a bit of scary Poem.

l think that one a Halloween cake inspired him.

It is about a cake with horrible things in it and also fingers!

Beth
        Participant

Great work, Emily! I like this poem choice of yours, so much fun. Could you go into more detail about the poem here and the content of it, such as what horrible things are in the cake? Overall, fab work, well done 🙂

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 4

In today’s lesson we completed our poetry classes, thinking about using all of our thoughts from last week on what makes a poem a poem to help us write lots of fun, creative and silly poetry. The class started off concocting some beautiful free-writing poems which they then analysed to see what they had been influenced by. We discussed their favourite poems and why they enjoyed them, thought about the importance of how a poem sounds and then played around with lots of different poetic techniques (assonance, sibilance, enjambment) that could help give a poem a sense of rhythm. Finally we read and discussed a Michael Rosen poem and thought about how to write a poetic response to it, playing on the silliness and lightheartedness of the original. Everyone worked beautifully today- the students all came up with some gorgeous poetry and we had a lot of fun using our new found poetic techniques in a creative and comedic way. Fab work everyone, well done 🙂

Homework 

Homework

Attachments:
      Emili
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is my homework, thanks

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Emily,

Impressive work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Molly
      Participant

Hi Beth this is my homework

thank you!

Beth
        Participant

Hi Molly,

did you mean to attach something here?

Albert
      Participant

Albert’s homework last week.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Albert,

Lovely work, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 5

In today’s lesson we began our work on autobiography, thinking about how to define an autobiography and what the key conventions of the genre were. We looked at three top tips (choosing a snappy title, using emotive language and labelling chapters to mark shifts in time) which the class then used to think about their own autobiographical accounts of their life. We studied two autobiographies, Roald Dahl’s and Rosa Parks’, comparing the similarities and differences between the two and thinking of themes that connect them (such as the theme of being powerless- amazing work for pointing this out!). Finally the class thought of a famous person who they would like to interview and came up with some questions, which can be used to help with homework. Excellent work today everyone- well done! 🙂

Autobiography video and Rosa Parks video: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zs8strd

Homework

Homeoqrk

Attachments:
      Emili
      Participant

HI BETH,

THIS IS MY HOMEWORK

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Emily,

Fab work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Molly
      Participant

Hi Beth👋

This is my homework.

Thank you!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Molly,

Superb work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Albert
      Participant

Dear Beth,

This is my homework.

Thanks

Albert

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Albert,

Good work this week, I’ve attached  your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 6

In today’s lesson we completed our work on autobiography, thinking about how to put all we had learnt last lesson on the conventions of the genre to the test! We started by completing a free-writing exercise before moving on to a consideration of pacing and why it is particularly important for this style of writing. The class wrote some differently paced extracts beautifully to demonstrate their ability to change the speed of the action when necessary. We then thought carefully about emotive writing, looking at how to insert feelings into our autobiographical accounts and how to accurately portray them. Finally we considered the structure of autobiographies, thinking about what they need in the beginning, middle and end. Fab work today everyone, it was a pleasure to teach you all today and hear all your thoughts on the most important moments in your life and how you want to communicate them through autobiographical writing. Well done 😊

Video recapping how to write an autobiography: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FKr_fcPJY8

Video on pacing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krpMNLRhM_4

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Emili
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is my homework.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Emily,

Some good work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Albert
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is my homework following 21 Oct’s class.

Albert

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Albert,

Attachments:
      Molly
      Participant

Hi Beth👋

Here is my homework

thank you

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Molly,

Exciting work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Molly
      Participant

Hi Beth👋

Here is my homework

thank you!

Attachments:
      baobao
      Participant

Hi Beth here is my homework .please check.thank you

baobao
      Participant

Hi Beth here is my homework please check thank you.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Baobao,

Delightful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      baobao
      Participant

Hi Beth here is my homework

thank you.

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 7

In today’s class we began our work on our fourth and final writing genre: comedy. We began by defining comedy, thinking about the many different forms it comes in, and we spoke about how it is subjective in nature. The class shared ideas of what they find the funniest and also came up with lots of novels and movies that they felt fit the genre. Finally we read Diary of a Wimpy Kid and watched Horrible Histories, using these two examples of comedic writing to consider the different ways in which comedy can be presented and critiquing the way they are constructed. Everyone worked beautifully today and were so passionate about their own favourite comedic works and memories. Well done guys and have fun with the homework! 😊

Awful Egyptians video (Horrible Histories): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7WhIybg_Qo

Horrible Histories YouTube channel for more videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUNYSwNARexFwxXp3oPAtvg

Homework

Homwor

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 8

In today’s lesson we completed our work on comedy writing, beginning with some comedy free-writing which the class completed beautifully, coming up with some hilarious and super exciting funny stories. From there, we moved on to thinking about different types of comedy, focusing initially on the two we studied last week, and then broadening out to consider comedy genres such as physical comedy, dark comedy, jokes and comedy through pictures. Finally we gathered some top tips on comedic writing, such as using the unexpected to surprise the audience or playing off annoying or embarrassing moments in real life to get laughs. Everyone worked beautifully today and wrote some amazing funny story prompts- keep up the exhilarating work everyone 😊

How to write comedy video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNTxSBgDNp4

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Emili
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is my homework.

Thanks.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Emily,

Some nice work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Albert
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is my comic homework.

Thanks.

Albert

Attachments:
      Albert
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is my comic homework.

Thanks.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Albert,

Some gorgeous work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 9

In today’s lesson we completed our writer’s workshop, focusing on consolidating our knowledge from the previous eight lessons and on revising key writing skills. We began with some work on storytelling, thinking about how to come up with inventive and unique plot ideas to complete a sentence and weaving whole new narratives around that- which the class did beautifully. We then moved on to thinking about the four genres we have learnt over the course of the past eight weeks, revising the key conventions of each and considering which each student liked and disliked the most. They wrote some fantastic three-sentences pieces based on one of the four genres, and thought carefully about the way they had used the genre in their writing. Finally, the students asked any questions they had about writing in general and we looked briefly at some checklists that outline what the students should be aiming for in their writing. Amazing work today everyone, well done. Good luck with your revision and I’ll see you next week! 🙂

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Emili
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is Emily’s Homework.

Thanks

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Emily,

Superb work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Molly
      Participant

Hi Beth 👋

Here is my homework

Thank you

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Beautiful self-evaluation Molly- well done! You’ve come up with some great what went wells and even better ifs, and I really like that you’ve thought about different features (i.e, the language you use, the structure, some quotations from the piece). Could you think of how you might complete each of your even better ifs- i.e., how could you make your piece more exciting? By adding more dialogue, more characters, more danger? Overall, lovely work- well done 🙂

Albert
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is Albert’s homework to re-write his comedy.

Thanks

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Albert,

Attachments:
      Emili
      Participant

HI BETH,

THIS IS MY MOCK EXAM.

THANKS

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Emily,

Dynamic work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback for both pieces below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 10

In today’s lesson we completed our final mock writing exam, spending the first few minutes of the lesson learning about the importance of unique ideas, good spelling and grammar and a strong planning process before beginning the mock. The class spent thirty-five minutes completing their writing, using an additional five minutes to plan. Everyone worked beautifully today, the class were very hardworking, proactive and focused all through our lesson. I really look forward to reading your writing everyone- well done for all your fantastic work over the past ten weeks. You should all be super proud of your progress! Amazing job guys, keep it up and I’ll hopefully see you all in the near future 🙂

Good writing video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_qRnwvbpmg

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Albert
      Participant

Hi Beth,

The scanned copy of my exam papers is attached.

Thanks

Albert

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Albert,

Delightful work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
Viewing 42 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar