Forums 2023 Winter Courses Reading-Year567-Wed

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      VMWEdu
      Keymaster
      Ryan
      Participant

Dear Beth

This is Ryan’s homework as we attended it.

Thank you!

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
        Beth
        Participant

Heya Ryan- this is another class’s forum. Your forum is here: https://vmwedu.com/forums/topic/reading-year567-mon-3/

Lovely work on this homework, I love how the tattoo is super open to interpretation and can be viewed in lots of different ways which is super effective and reflects how your clan is always shifting and moving around. Fab choice of the word run and I love the combination you have selected here for your clan. Great work well done 🙂

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 1

In today’s class we began our work on our first book, Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver. We thought about the historical context behind the book, learning all about the Mesolithic Period and the different ways in which people lived at the time. We discussed what we liked and didn’t about the book, completed a research task to find out about the history and compared the book to another fictional story of a family living in the Middle Stone Age. Finally the class created some excellent characters inspired by the book, thinking about how to create a clan to represent them and applying all their historical knowledge about Mesolithic peoples’ way of life in order to come up with some creative and historically accurate representations of the Stone Age. Great work today class, well done for your fab ideas on the history! See you next week 🙂

P.S. The worksheet is attached below

Video we watched on the Mesolithic Period: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DkXHi-udxg&feature=emb_logo

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 2

In today’s lesson we continued our work on Wolf Brother, thinking about elements of the book including character, genre and theme. We started with a research project on wolves, with the class considering why Paver may have chosen a wolf to have at the centre of her story. We then moved on to some character analysis, which everyone completed beautifully, before finishing with a creative and analytical task regarding genre. The class discussed the genre that they think the book falls under, coming up with adventure, mystery, horror, magical realism and fantasy. Then they wrote their own modified versions in genres of their choice of particular scenes, ranging from comedy to fairytale. Fab work today everyone, well done for all your wonderful contributions and excellent writing today. See you next time 🙂

Homework

hmrk

Attachments:
      Jeffrey
      Participant

The Maya people believe in the sun,and when there are slaves,they will paint some blue paint on the slaves. They believe if they sacrificed people to the sun,then they will be healthy and everything will keep good. If they think they sacrificed enough people they will play hunting games,their prey are the slaves.Their cultures some are like us,like they have the kings, the people but the different is they are cruel, no mercy and believed in sacrifice peoples but now the culture is more civilization than the Mayas,no people sacrifice and no people hunting and now peoples more believe in science also don’t have maya people feudalistic superstition.

Beth
        Participant

Fab work Jeffrey, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 3

In today’s lesson we completed our work on Wolf Brother, concluding our course with some ideas on the author behind the story and some of the wider symbols and themes in the book. We began by thinking about why Michelle Paver might have been inspired to write the book, before reading an interview with her. We then completed some language analysis of an extract from another book in the same series, before thinking about the symbolism of the demon bear and finally, debating some questions about what could come next. Good work today everyone, well done and see you next week 🙂

Michelle Paver video (you can watch the rest of this if you’d like as we only watched the first few minutes!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH-fl9Z4jSc

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Jeffrey
      Participant

In the ancient time,there was a old clan,called “The Bears”,because everyone was as strong as a bear,so they always win the fights with other clans, they also believe in the god of rain .They whill always give tributes to the rain God. They believe, if the Rain God gives them luck, it will be all good, no war, no people dying and all will be good.Don’t know why, maybe they are realy “bears” maybe they like the sweet taste of honey, but they all loved honey as love their parents. The bears all like helping each other. If somebody doesn’t know what to do, They will help them as much as they can. This is the “the Bears” they love each other, help each other, and always unite as one

Beth
        Participant

Excellent work Jeffrey well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 4

In today’s lesson we began our work on Inkheart by Cornelia Funke, thinking about the characters in the book and how we can use them to inspire our own writing. We began with a brief discussion of the book before thinking about literary archetypes and what the term refers to. The students then came up with some brilliant archetype analysis of Inkheart, completing character profiles based on their findings. Finally, they wrote some short stories, dropping the characters from the novel into whole different worlds. Really fab work today everyone, well done for all your thoughts on the types of characters and genres present in this novel. You have all worked very well today, keep up the great work and see you next week 🙂

Homework

HMWRK

Attachments:
      Jeffrey
      Participant

In chapter 33-Capricorn’s Maid,silver tongue “adopted”Farid and the quotation from <Great Expectations >was:As I never saw my father or my mother ……..this is a reason that I could speculate that Farid had never seen his parents,and this is also why silvertongue adopted him .But I think silvertongue has seen his natural parents,because this quotation had give him  the clue for the whole chapter,so it talked about silvertongue and Farid story in this chapter,I could have also known that every quotation of other books .Most of them has some clue for the chapter that they were in. This can also advance reminder the readers what is going to tell.You could read the quotations first if you don’t have enough time to finish the whole chapter,that’s why the author puts the over books quotation at the beginning of each chapter.

Beth
        Participant

Great work Jeffrey well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 5

In today’s lesson we continued our study of Inkheart, working on bringing the story to life through our understanding of character and theme. We began the class with a discussion of the role of quotations and intertextuality in the book, with the students then going on to choose their own quotations from other books that they felt worked well with a particular chapter of Inkheart. We then moved on to thinking about an in-depth understanding of the theme of the past in the book, exploring this in reference to a character they thought was stuck in the past or nostalgic for their old life. We discussed the idea of the past being dead in the novel and debated what Funke is telling us about this theme. Finally, the class wrote some excellent backstories for various characters, using their inference skills to expand beyond the world of the book. Great work today everyone, well done for all your contributions and pieces of writing. Well done and see you next week 🙂

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Jeffrey
      Participant

Inkheart is a book that is full of adventure, cruel, passion. Because this book is so good, I will interview the author, Funke. Okay, now I am here and just wating for her coming .What an exciting thing to do! Oh she’s coming right now.

“Hi,Ms Funoke, can I have some questions about why you want to write this amazing book and how old were you when you decided to become a great writer,and did you ever thought you would be famous?”sorry about too many questions

“I was fifteen when I started to write a book, but only farie tales that I created by myself, after that I was not satisfied with short farie tales, so I writted a novel.The good news are most of my classmates love it.They told the teacher that I had been innate  for writing books .after that,my teacher always inspired me and encouraged me to write more articles. I thought to be famous, and I always work hard to approach my target.Now I’m famons and all I want

to tell you is: you need to effort more works than others if you want to success.the other important thing is : you must observe everything around you if you want a good article. Thank you .”

Beth
        Participant

Fantastic work Jeffrey well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 6

In today’s lesson we finished our work on Inkheart, concluding our three lessons with a reflection on the central ideas, themes and messages of the book. We watched an interview with the author to kick our lesson off today, thinking about what did and did not surprise us about her attitude towards writing, before thinking about some of the key themes which the class did excellently! We then spoke about the moral, comparing the students’ opinions to those of various book reviews, and the class evaluated a book review video to see what they did and didn’t agree with. Finally, we completed a short creative writing task where the class imagined what could happen next beyond the end of the book. Really lovely and thoughtful work today class, well done for all your great ideas and interpretations of the book. Keep up the fantastic job and see you next week 🙂

Cornelia Funke interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IfBi-eotHA

Book review video we watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=eHiFLOGnYZo&feature=emb_logo

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 7

In today’s lesson we began our third book Pig Heart Boy by Malorie Blackman. We began with a discussion of what we liked and disliked in the novel, before thinking about what was important about the book and the issues it illuminates. We spoke about notions of ethics and morality- questioning what issues fit under each term and discussing how morality is more personal whereas ethics are societal. Finally we linked this to the book, thinking about the concept of medical ethics and studying the four pillars. The class then wrote some great diary entries from the doctor’s perspective on Cameron’s surgery, which they completed very well. Lovely ideas today everyone, well done for all your energy and concentration! See you next time 🙂

Malorie Blackman video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4wKO-aTOXo&feature=emb_logo

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Parker
      Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Cameron and the person IRL both died but Cameron died because of the rejection and his own choice. But the man IRL died because of the hearts problem instead of rejection. And in the book Cameron chose not to have a second transplant but IRL the man wanted to save himself however he could. I can learn that even though technology is ahead but there are still threats to a mans death. Both Cameron and the real person were all a little anxious about it. But after the transplant Cameron’s body was a lot weaker than the man’s one because the man could sit up and make jokes on the second day but Cameron, on the other hand wasn’t so strong, it took him almost a week to recover.</p>

Beth
        Participant

Lovely work Parker well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 8

In today’s lesson we continued our work on Pig Heart Boy, thinking about the characters in the novel and how we could infer important information about them and use this to work creatively with Malorie Blackman’s novel. We began by thinking of ways of ‘getting to know’ a fictional character through writing. We then moved on to continuing a conversation between Marlon and Cameron using our inference skills before completing a hot-seating exercise to get to the bottom of a particular character’s personality and motivations. Finally the class wrote a creative writing piece based on a character of their choice analysing how they would act in a strange situation and using everything they had learned from the text to help them. Lovely work today everyone- you all produced some great pieces of character analysis working with your inference skills very astutely. Keep up the great work and see you next week 🙂

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Jeffrey
      Participant

the homework as attachments

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Absolutely exceptional work Jeffrey, really well done! This comic strip is so exhilarating to read; it is beautifully illustrated, uses colour to help it pop out to the reader and tells the story in a way that is fresh, impressive and exciting. You’ve used speech bubbles excellently to bring the story to life- I could almost hear the scenes playing out in front of me. Your choice of scenes are fantastic and you have communicated all the emotions the characters are feeling wonderfully, using captions, facial expressions, thought bubbles and dialogue to make the comic feel vibrant. Really outstanding understanding of how to use the comic strip structure really well and I love the way you have presented it on the page. This is such a great piece of work and you should be very proud of it- I really enjoyed reading it. Very well done 🙂

Spelling & grammar:

*believe what 

*his dad sold it

*a child called Marlon

*check

*his mum, dad and Dr Bryce were all there

*Is that for real? Absolutely!

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 9

In today’s lesson we concluded our work on Pig Heart Boy by Malorie Blackman, thinking about the issues and ideas we had not yet touched on in reference to the novel. We began by thinking about the ending of the book- discussing whether it satisfied the students’ curiosity and then discussing and mapping out alternative endings. We then moved on to thinking about the theme of animal rights and what it can tell us about morality. Finally we thought about Cameron’s decisions and emotions near the end of the story and worked out what this could tell us about how we should all live life. Lovely work today everyone, well done for all your nuanced ideas about animal rights which were beautifully researched. Keep up the fab work and see you next week 🙂

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Ryan
      Participant

Oliver Twist Homework.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hey Ryan- this is the wrong forum, could you post it on your forum?

Thank you! 🙂

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 10

In today’s lesson we began studying Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help plan and write the paragraphs assigned for homework. The powerpoint contains loads of information on the context of Oliver Twist, thinking about how the backdrop of Victorian England, ideas on social class, the workhouse and Victorian attitudes towards children have influenced the themes in the book, whilst also considering how we can connect the plot of the book to Dickens’ own experiences in childhood. We also discussed ideas around social class and the way Dickens plays with our assumptions about particular characters in order to make a greater political point about Victorian inequality. The powerpoint also contains a model example paragraph on the theme of poverty in the book which the students should use to help them with using quotations in their homework. Fantastic ideas today everyone- really well done for all your intuitive work and excellent historical understanding. See you next week 🙂

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 11

In today’s lesson we continued studying Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help plan and write the homework. The powerpoint contains loads of information on the themes of the novel, model P.E.E. paragraphs discussing how themes are explored in the book, ideas on narrative voice and perspective and our work on character analysis and inference. Fantastic work today, especially when hot-seating the Artful Dodger which you all did very well with, digging into the complexities of his character. Wonderful ideas this week class, well done 🙂

Here is the link to an interesting document about the theme of crime in the novel. Give it a read if you have time for some more information about the history and themes behind Oliver Twist: https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/english/AQA-7716-7717-TO-CRIME-OT.PDF

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 12

In today’s lesson we completed our study of Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help plan and write the paragraphs assigned for homework. The powerpoint contains our work on character analysis, using both skills of inference and close textual analysis to find evidence for opinions formed on this basis, along with our ideas on the importance of villainy and villains in the novel and our thoughts on whether the book has a nuanced or more black and white view of morality. We had a really interesting discussion on whether Oliver was a passive or active protagonist and how Nancy is a tragic character in the novel. Lovely analytical work today everyone- your comprehension was top-notch today dealing with some complex concepts beautifully. It has been wonderful working with you on this course, well done and see you soon 🙂

Tragedy video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBvVD08_0hU

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar