Forums 2024 Spring Courses Reading-Year567-Thur

Viewing 40 reply threads
  • Author
      VMWEdu
      Keymaster
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 1

In today’s class we began our work on Mortal Engines, learning about some of the big ideas under the surface of the story. The class began by sharing their thoughts on the book before completing some work on setting, discussing how the book plays with both futuristic and Victorian time periods. We learned about colonialism and how it links to the book thinking about what the author is trying to say about topics such as power and inequality. Finally we discussed what we’d like to ask the author and did some hot-seating. Amazing work everyone, particularly in the hot-seating exercise! You were all fantastic today, well done and keep up the great work 🙂

Interview video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8d7xkftUMc&t=11s

Colonialism video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzHbL0ByeLY&t=137s

Homework

hmwr

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Jasmine
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the amazing lesson

Jasmine

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

You are very welcome! Incredible work Jasmine, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Melvin
      Participant

Hi Beth,

When is homework due?
      Melvin

Melvin
      Participant

Hi Beth,
      this is my homework for the week. Thanks. 🙂

Traction cities could go back to electricity rather than burning up stuff which creates co2 which will destroy the planet like it will soon enough from now. Also they can finally settle on the earth (not on wheels) and grow crops there and get democracy running again so everything is peaceful. Also they can trad stuff instead of eat other things for stuff andplant more vegetation on the ground which is more or less extinct. We can learn that traction cities are reckless brutes that are dunb for eating each other rather that using their mouths for talking.

Melvin 🙂 🙂 🙂

Beth
        Participant

Very impressive work Melvin, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

I think the cities could change their behavior by just having peace and start lending each other materials instead of just straight up attacking the other cities which might even start a war, which will cause more damage.
      They should just agree to lend each other things and resources instead of eating the other countries because it causes damage to the earth. But, since the world is running out of resources the cities could come together and help each other survive this. Maybe the big cities should stop consuming the smaller cities for equipment and preying on them.
      The traction cities should stop stealing over cities. The cities shouldn’t really move around the world because they probably produces a lot of poisonous gas that might (hopefully not) kill some of the people and pollute the earth.
      They can use cars and other stuff to get around rather than using airships or zeppelins etc.

Beth
        Participant

Fantastic work Emily, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Kingsley
      Participant

I think the cities should put aside their differences and work together. The book indicates that humans need to work together to achieve things. Similarly, the traction cities should work together and lend smaller cities materials in order to grow in size and strength. The cities should help each other rather than killing everyone and everything. They might start a war and no one would be safe and everything would be destroyed. Eating each other causes damage to the earth and since all the other countries are running low on equipment they can lend each other some and live together in peace rather than chasing each other all around the battle ground. The cities could change their behaviour and stop fighting each other. The behaviour of the cities is very peculiar as no human would go and attack someone willy-nilly so I don’t think the traction cities should do it either.

Beth
        Participant

Great work Kingsley, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 2

In today’s class we continued our study of Mortal Engines, focusing on genre, philosophy and big ideas in the book. We began by thinking about genre and how the book fits (or doesn’t fit) into the science fiction genre. The class then learned about municipal Darwinism in the book and we analysed an extract that showed that process in action, discussing what was wrong with the concept. The class wrote some fantastic diary entries off the back of this before finally thinking about what traction cities can teach us about how we should not live in the world. Fantastic and lively work today everyone- well done for all your ideas about environmentalism which were very in-depth and interesting. Keep up the great work, see you soon 🙂

Article link for homework: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/dec/12/mortal-engines-what-philip-reeves-predator-cities-tell-us-about-our-world

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 3

In our final lesson on Mortal Engines we thought about the characters in the story and evaluated our final feelings on the book. We began by thinking about the homework article discussing the idea of history repeating itself in the story and how this reflects the real world. We then looked at character descriptions, making inferences about author intent. The class completed some group work where they had to choose quotations that proved particular points in the author’s toolkit and finally, they created their own characters and learned about book review writing. Lovely work today everyone- keep up the great work and I will see you for Holes next week 🙂

Book review writing guide: https://reedsy.com/discovery/blog/how-to-write-a-book-review

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Jasmine
      Participant

Hello Beth,

Here is my HW. I really liked doing breakout rooms.

I hope that we can do more things in small groups.

Thanks for the lesson,

Jasmine

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Ahh I am so glad you enjoyed that aspect of class Jasmine! Super work this week, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Melvin
      Participant

Hi Beth,
      This is my homework for the week. Thanks. 🙂 🙂 🙂
      Melvin.  🙂 🙂 🙂

Mortal Engines is a book about a young boy who is kicked out of London and soon finds himself going through lots of trauma and chaos with an assassin as a friend. And unexpectedy, he tries to stop London when he is supposed to be helping it at first.

At first I thought that Hester was a grouchy person but near the end, I thought that she was a pretty nice person and my feelings changed for valentine to . At the start of the book, i thought he was a stupid cruel idiot but at the end, I found out that he was only like that because he had the lack of long term thingking and thinking outside the box. I really liked how the author conveys the message of the story very well by reflecting a lot on municipal darwinism.

Overall, I would give this book a 5 star rating.

Bye the way, I really liked the breakout rooms and I hope that we do it again and if we do, do it again, can I be partners with Leo again please?

Beth
        Participant

Very happy you all enjoyed the break-out rooms! Great work Melvin, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 4

In today’s class we began our work on Holes, learning about the history behind the book and working through some key ideas on themes. We began with a discussion of how the students found the book before thinking about its semantic field and the weird imagery the book draws on. The class then researched the 100 years of US history the book spans over before learning about key historical themes in the novel, from immigration to racism in the South to the US justice system. Lastly we touched on magical realism, linking the strange moments in the book to this wider genre. Fabulous ideas and discussions today everyone- I was super impressed by your range of ideas on the US justice system in particular. Keep up the great work, well done 🙂

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Jimmy
      Participant

Dear Beth,

I don’t remember the questions for the homework, and I can’t find the questions on the PDF, so I sort of don’t know what to write for the homework.

Thank you. 🙂

P.S why is the PDF lesson 2 Holes, shouldn’t, it be lesson 1?

Beth
        Participant

Heya Jimmy- really sorry I put the wrong slides on the PPT! Jasmine kindly attached them below- I hope that’s all okay. Good spot ! 🙂

Jasmine
      Participant

Hi Jimmy,

I think that Beth has made a mistake and put the wrong slide on the website.

I believe that I have attached the correct one.

Jasmine

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Thank you so much Jasmine you are a lifesaver! Yes you are spot on, these are the slides for next week. Sorry about that guys, I must’ve clicked the wrong link, in future could you ask your parents to message the organiser if that happens because the website doesn’t give me notifications so I often don’t see it quickly enough, whereas the organiser can let me know straight away. Hope you all have a fab week, attaching the PPT from your lesson below 🙂

Attachments:
      Jasmine
      Participant

Hello Beth,

Think you for the intriguing lesson; it was very fascinating to learn all the new facts.

Here is my homework.

Jasmine

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

So glad you enjoyed it! Exquisite work Jasmine, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Melvin
      Participant

Dear Beth,
      This is my homework for the week. Thanks.
      Sorry I couldn’t come to the lesson but I whatched the recording.
      Melvin 🙂 🙂 🙂

Louis Sachar might have written Holes to show how  unjust it is  to send KIDS to jail and to show how wrong the old law and morden law is as he was a lawer. He probably based the story on the hot texas summers he dealt with and the primary school children he worked at.  He might have also put the theme of racism in there because USA is a very racist country even now.

Beth
        Participant

No worries at all Melvin, glad you were able to watch it! Great work this week well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 5

In today’s class we continued our work on Holes, discussing genre, the narrative and the role of folktale in the story. We began by watching a clip of the film before discussing the genres we could see in the story before fixing in on fairytales and folktales. We read an extract and thought about how to interpret it as a modern fairytale in ways, before looking at the way the book is narrated and how the omniscience of the narrator is significant. Lastly we debated the importance of names in the novel, linking this to stories such as Rumpelstiltskin and Sleeping Beauty.  Well done for all your insightful and creative thoughts today class, I particularly loved your ideas about names in the story. Keep it up and see you next time 🙂

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Jasmine
      Participant

Hi Beth,

I think that there could be glitches in your device, because I believe that you have uploaded the wrong slides again. 😀

Jasmine

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hey Jasmine- so weird that it keeps happening! Hopefully it’s sorted this week, thanks for helping out 🙂

Jasmine
      Participant

Hello Beth,

I really enjoyed the fabulous lesson. The answer prompt really helped.

Here is my HW

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

I am so happy you enjoyed it! Fabulous work Jasmine and sorry for the delay on the marking. Very well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Melvin
      Participant

Hi Beth,

this is my homework for the week. Thanks.

Melvin 🙂 🙂 🙂

Stanley starts to call Zero his actual name because it might be some sort of protest against the american racist society. Since Zero is black, he has been so overlooked that he can’t even read and doesn’t even have records in computers or the files! I think this is a kind of protest as it is recognising a black person’s existance not pretending they’re not there by saying their name. It kind of started when he didn’t leave zero not even because his race and he might have started this because the american law is very unfair and racist and he is a victim of that crime. I can’t find any direct evidence and I also think that Stanley called Zero Hector because it is a way of being polite when everyone doesn’t approve of his existance.

Beth
        Participant

Wonderful work Melvin- sorry for the delay on the marking! Very well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 6

In today’s class we completed work on Holes, working creatively with ideas from the novel so the class could come up with their own fantastic versions of moments in the book. We began by discussing fate vs free will, linking this to the story’s ideas on social inequality, before looking at the ‘If Only’ song from the book. The class wrote their own verses to this (really wonderful work everyone) and finally we discussed essay tips and looked at some analyses of literary techniques used in the book. Some lovely ideas today class, well done for your excellent poetry writing. Keep up the great work and see you next week 🙂

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Jasmine
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the supercalifragilisticexpialidocious lesson.

Here is my HW,

Jasmine

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

No worries at all!

Wonderful work Jasmine, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Jimmy
      Participant

Dear Beth,

here is my homework. Thanks (I am doing the last question).

I think Louis Sarchar made the title of the book Holes because it means the mistakes Stanley- the main character had made. I think this because the different parts name refers to this.

In part 2 it says the last hole. It might just mean that it is Stanley’s last hole to dig because it is that part where Stanley dug his last hole before running away. However, it also might mean his last mistakes since the curse broke in this part since he carried zero up the mountain and he and Zero were going to leave the camp.

The third part is called filling in the holes which makes sense because Stanley had left the camp, and he was like recovering his mistakes like when he was blamed for stealing Clide Livingstons shoes but then he was proved innocent and since the curse was broken, his life became successful.

This is the reason I think that Louis Sarcher made the name of the book holes instead of Stanley having to dig holes in camp green lake.

Beth
        Participant

Super work Jimmy, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Melvin
      Participant

Hi Beth,
      this is my homework for lesson 2 of holes. Thanks.
      Melvin 🙂 🙂 🙂

The phisical environment play in the plot as it makes things more harsh for the boys and kind of drives them into the barren desert like terrain partly. It also adds lots of description and one of the past stories rely on the harsh conditions. This links to the lushness of God’s Thunb as it gives a lot of contrast in the story along with the contrast of free-will and fate contrast.

Beth
        Participant

Hey Melvin- will pop both your feedbacks in the doc under the Sherlock homework 🙂

EmilyH
      Participant

I think when it says you can’t judge a book by a cover links to the story because that people in the camp thought that Zero/Hector was a total nobody that couldn’t talk or do anything but digging hole but that wasn’t the case.

I think one of the main characters that associates with this is zero because actually, he could talk and was really good at math, English not just digging holes. He was a very fast learner as well like in chapter 22 it said, ‘ you recited the alphabet for zero, then zero repeated it without a single mistake.’ Plus he actually was the person with Stanley that broke the curse. The camp people all thought zero’s mind was as empty as a hollow wall but it was actually him who stole Clide Livingston’s shoes at first. Everyone thought that Zero loved digging hole because he was almost always the first person to finish digging holes but in a part it said that Zero said that he hated digging holes.

Hector ended up to be one of the main characters in this book besides Stanley Yelnats, plus he was one of the first person to be released from the concentration camp. He could answer a lot of questions but just keeps him mouth shut.

Beth
        Participant

Hey Emily- will pop both your feedbacks in the doc under the Sherlock homework 🙂

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 7

In today’s class we began work on Sherlock Holmes, learning about the history behind the creation of the fictional detective and the author. We began by thinking about how we felt about the book before learning and discussing why Sherlock is such a famous character even one hundred years after Conan Doyle first wrote about him. We looked at the reasons behind his creation and the class came up with amazing points about why these books are still so popular. We then discussed Victorian London and the context behind the story and finally the students came up with modern versions of Sherlock Holmes, thinking about how technology and the modern world would change the stories. Some lovely ideas everyone, well done for your fab thoughts and see you next week 🙂

Homework article: https://www.novelsuspects.com/articles/the-appeal-of-sherlock-holmes/#:~:text=While%20Sherlock%20Holmes%20is%20a,fictional%20detectives%20for%20these%20reasons.

Ted-ed video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8992A5oAWM

Background info video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7toqzP16H4c

Summary of the book: https://www.sparknotes.com/lit/study-in-scarlet/summary/

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 8

In today’s class we continued work on A Study in Scarlet, thinking about genre and character. We began by discussing the homework article, thinking about the points it makes on Sherlock as a character and the way readers react to him, before moving on to learning about detective fiction and how Arthur Conan Doyle broke from tradition in the way he wrote this story. We dug into Sherlock’s theories of deduction and the class discussed some questions in groups, looking at narrative, perspective and the theme of friendship beautifully. Finally we did some work on character, using our creative skills to dissect characters in the book and create our work. Fantastic work everyone- well done with your brilliant character creation! See you next time 🙂

Detective fiction video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS3ylzuhqZQ&t=296s

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

James Harlan, he is a 20 year old detective with mysterious hazel eyes and pitch black hair, standing tall at 6ft 5. James strides alone to the murder scenes and works independently by himself. He usually wears a black jacket, pants and a wool cloak, usually with the hood off. He is well known around the city he lives in as he had solved multiple puzzles and crimes, but he surprisingly despise Sherlock Holmes as he sees him as an opponent. He has a nonchalant personality but actually he is pretty serious inside as he thinks wisely and observes things closely. He’s doing this job to gain experience and knowledge so he can have a special view of the world and the people living in it. This story would be first person so when Sherlock is introduced in chapter two page one with. ‘I despise Sherlock Holmes, I’m aiming to be more intelligent than him at all costs.’  As you can see that he sees him as a competitor that he has to beat in an award winning competition. Harlan usually hides himself amongst the crowds and citizens as he doesn’t want to be seen by any thieves or criminals but sometimes he just doesn’t bother to do so. When James first sees Sherlock in the book he was forced to work with him on a very confusing crime which is very puzzling. During the time they worked together Harlan always tried to act more smarter and greater. Overall they worked out who the killers were and never co operated with each other again.

Beth
        Participant

Gorgeous work Emily, very well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Melvin
      Participant

Dear Beth,
      Melvin 🙂 🙂 🙂

Harry Baker:
      He is the complete opposite Sherlock in any way. He does not dress formal like Sherlock but instead, wears t-shirts and shorts with flip flops and he doesn’t smoke or wear any sort of hat and is completely bald. Appearance is not the  only difference. Harry strides around thinking he is the best and isn’t good at anything, isn’t intelligent, is really affable having many friends and is 42 years old.  Having blue eyes, Harry has a round face and is from Scotland. The only similarities are the fact that they both like bacon, eggs, ham and are detectives.

Harry and Sherlock first meet in the 11th book and only see each other for a breif while but as Sherlock was solving a crime, Harry saw this and it made him determined to work harder and be smarter and better than Sherlock. in the 13th book, they meet up again and are forced to work together but as soon as the crime was solved, they parted instantly and never worked together since then. In the following books, Harry Baker is mentioned here and then but never does anything major.

Beth
        Participant

Super work Melvin, very well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 9 

In today’s class we completed work on A Study in Scarlet, doing some creative work and thinking about how this story fits together. We discussed what makes the case in the story interesting to Sherlock and thought about the way the clues all fit together. The class then wrote a great step-by-step guide on being a detective before thinking about the way the novel was split into two halves and why. Finally the students came up with their own Sherlock Holmes-inspired mysteries in groups, coming up with amazing stories full of suspense and twists & turns. Really brilliant story planning guys- I loved how creative your plots were, super intriguing work! Keep it up and see you next week 🙂

Homework

hmwrjk

Attachments:
      Melvin
      Participant

Dear Beth,
      This is my homework for the week. Thanks.
      Melvin 🙂 🙂 🙂

The reason the mormons were included was because they were religious and that was the reason the man and his daughter died. Also, since they were killing a lot, it kind of fits in with the theme of murder and it kind of shows the intelligence of the author to know this information. 🤓🤓🤓🤯🤯🤯

Beth
        Participant

Great work Melvin well done 🙂

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

I think the part was included because the Mormons were like an important part of the story, because they were linked to why Hope has killed people. The Mormons were the ones that saved Lucy and her caregiver, but they had to live under the Mormon faith. Which soon after led to how Hope wanted revenge.
      Arthur Conan Doyle wrote this to add some context from the past 19 centuries ,in the United States, so the reader can understand more about the reason Hope murdered them. It was included to show how the Mormons acted towards the people that aren’t Mormons. It shows how it had disturbed Joseph Smith and others.
      This part was included to tell us what are the Mormons, danties and what happened to them. The Mormons were the one of the prime people in this story because without them this thrilling detective story wouldn’t even exist. The Mormons were once the villain of Lucy’s life and now they became the victim for Hope to murder.

This part was included in the book to show the origin of the Mormons and why Hope targeted them.

Beth
        Participant

Splendid work Emily, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 10

In today’s class we began Treasure Island, thinking about the life of a pirate and the world in the 1700s. We discussed the novel, thought about the Golden Age of Piracy and learned some facts about what life was like back then. We looked at aspects such as why people became pirates, myths around piracy and thought about where the pirate hot spots were. The class then considered Jim Hawkins’ life at the start of the book, touching on why he might want to go to sea, before we summed up these ideas by reading a fact-file on the novel. Fab work everyone, I can’t wait to see the creative pirate flags you come up with & all the different designs you invent. Remember to read the book if you haven’t already- well done today 🙂

Homework

hwmrk

Attachments:
      Melvin
      Participant

Dear Beth,
      Melvin

I’ve attached it bellow.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Wonderful work Melvin, well done! I absolutely love all the detail on your flag, where you have used the pirate design of a skull and crossbones beautifully, making it your own through the use of guns as bones, such a creative idea! I love how you have drawn additional symbols of death and danger around it, alongside the bird representing the freedom of being at sea. There are so many places on this flag for the eye to be drawn keeping it super fresh and interesting for the viewer. Really cool and creative work here, very well done 🙂

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 11

In today’s class we thought about the world of Treasure Island, thinking about the pirate code in the book and the way the characters interact. We began by thinking about the Black Spot with the class designing their own before moving on to talking about the violence and abruptness with which the pirates in the novel speak. We looked at the dangers of the high seas in the 1700s and the class debated with one another coming up with some excellent ideas of objects to take back in time to help them on their journeys. Finally we thought about how the author had obscured the geographical location of Treasure Island and why, drawing on some ideas of what the mythology behind the island communicates. Lovely ideas everyone, very well done for your amazing group work in particular. Keep up the brilliant ideas and see you next week 🙂

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Melvin
      Participant

Dear Beth,
      Melvin

Jim might threaten Long Jhon silver as he stole the treasure and is old so is almost defenceless and also, they might talk about what happened on the boatand how the captain knew about what Jhon was going to do and they might also talk about what happened when Jim went and found Ben Gunn.

Beth
        Participant

Marvellous work Melvin well done 🙂

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

I think Jim would be very angry by the fact that Long John Silver betrayed him and stole a proportion of his treasure he found. But as he decided to never involve with treasure finding again and had nightmares from it, he might actually act Silver about his life after the incident. He has been through a lot during his adventures and has built a rivalry for Silver as he’s brung him a lot of troubles so he might actually scold him throughout. On the other hand, Jim actually is fond of Silver as he wishes him happiness as he is something valuable in Jim’s heart. Jim has trusted him at the start as he was very kind to him. I think he would be surprised by this because he never would’ve thought to meet this pirate again after he ran away with the treasure. He would be very shocked as he had never thought about this and tried to forget all of the treasure finding stuff after he finished finding the treasure because he had nightmares.
      I think they’ll talk about all those journeys and what they had been doing these days.

Beth
        Participant

Gorgeous work Emily well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 12

In today’s class we completed work on Treasure Island thinking about the character of Long John Silver and the complex morality of the novel. We began by discussing the role of greed in the story, thinking about how it serves none of the characters well, before moving on to thinking about Silver and his attributes. We discussed why Stevenson made him so likeable and the class then conducted a fantastic mock trial, with half of them arguing for the prosecution, the other half for the defence. Finally we discussed the ending of the book, evaluating why it ends the way it does. Amazing and thoughtful work today everyone, well done for all your great ideas about Silver’s character. You’ve been fantastic this course, very well done and keep up the incredible work, see you soon 🙂

Homework

hmwr,

Attachments:
      Melvin
      Participant

Dear Beth,
      this is my homework for the final lesson. Thanks for the whole course. 🙂
      Melvin

Help!
      This is Ben Gunn. I have been marooned on an island for three years now and has barely survived on lobsters and fruit. This island is directly south-west of england for eight days. Please send a rescue ship to rescue me  Immediately! May God save you and make you successful if you help me.

Bye Beth. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Beth
        Participant

Fab work Melvin well done 🙂

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

SOS!
      If you’re seeing this don’t throw it away, I’ve been stranded on this island (marooned by my ship) for over three years living on the goat meat I’ve hunted and other animals. I forgot where I am so just please just contact someone so a rescue team can search for me. But be aware that there might be pirates out there that might capture you if they see you on the seas. Please send help as soon as possible as I’m becoming even more insane every single day.
      This will be great news to me if I wake up to see myself in a new place, not that cave again. There might be a chance that you’ll get a prize later if you save me because one day I dug up a pretty valuable treasure.
      It’ll mean a lot to me if you save me and free me from the grasps of the wilderness. So please do anything, I mean ANYTHING to save me from this prison realm. I’ve lived enough of this survival game, please save me!

Send help ASAP to search for a man in a small island called Ben Gunn, me, and bring me back on the rock lands.
      B.G

Beth
        Participant

Incredible work Emily, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Felix
      Participant

Hi Beth

This is my Homework.

Thanks for the lesson.

Voting is a crucial part to democracy and is popular in many countries. The definition of the word voting is to have access to public general elections and voting is also currently illegal until the minimum age of eighteen years old. I believe that the minimum voting age should be decreased to the age of thirteen so more young people can experience the voting process.

Lowering the voting minimum age will increase the amount of votes in most countries and will increase the suspense between the parties. Also young teenagers will have a chance to join political parties and succeed in general elections. Imagine an intelligent teenager sitting behind the desk at Downing Street Number 10. The world would chaos right? Well, we have never given an under eighteen permission to vote or become prime minister so why don’t we try the idea out or at least interview some children (teens) on what they would do as a political leader.

Increasing the minimum age would be disastrous: imagine less votes, more people looking forward to being able to vote, and less potential prime ministers. The only logical decision in this debate is to interview and test the idea of young political leaders. This will at least prove if this idea is beneficial or not. Join me and together we will finally lower the voting minimum age to thirteen years old. Support me, and maybe your son will be the first young prime minister. I will now leave you to contemplate the decision.

Viewing 40 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar