• Author
      VMWEdu
      Keymaster
      Kingsley
      Participant

Hello Beth,

Here is my homework:)

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
        Beth
        Participant

Really cool work Kingsley, well done! I love the way your clan tattoo is open to interpretation and think the eye at the centre of it works beautifully to create a foreboding sense for anyone who looks at it. Your choice of the word slither is a brilliant one and I love that you decided your clan would live in the deep forest which fits with the rest of your choices. Fab work well done 🙂

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 1

In today’s class we began our work on our first book, Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver. We thought about the historical context behind the book, learning all about the Mesolithic Period and the different ways in which people lived at the time. We discussed what we liked and didn’t about the book, completed a research task to find out about the history and compared the book to another fictional story of a family living in the Middle Stone Age. Finally the class created some excellent characters inspired by the book, thinking about how to create a clan to represent them and applying all their historical knowledge about Mesolithic peoples’ way of life in order to come up with some creative and historically accurate representations of the Stone Age. Great work today class, well done for all your historical knowledge and your fab ideas on the way the book explores this time period. See you next week 🙂

P.S. The worksheet is attached below

Video we watched on the Mesolithic Period: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DkXHi-udxg&feature=emb_logo

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Melvin
      Participant

Hi Beth,

this is my homework for this week.sorry if it is overdue.

melvin

by the way my clan animal is a couger and my greeting, if you can’t see it properly, is ” may your guardian run with you”.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Lovely work Melvin, well done! The idea to have a cougar as your clan animal is a fab one- such an unusual animal to choose- and I really like your idea to have the word “run” to connect up with your clan animal. The tattoo you have drawn is great and I love the details of the whiskers which make it jump off the page at the reader. Wonderful work, well done 🙂

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 2

In today’s lesson we continued our work on Wolf Brother, thinking about elements of the book including character, genre and theme. We started with a research project on wolves, with the class considering why Paver may have chosen a wolf to have at the centre of her story. We then moved on to some character analysis, which everyone completed beautifully, before finishing with a creative and analytical task regarding genre. The class discussed the genre that they think the book falls under, coming up with adventure, mystery, horror, magical realism and fantasy. Then they wrote their own modified versions in genres of their choice of particular scenes, ranging from comedy to myth. Lovely work today class, well done for all the fantastic ideas you shared. See you next week 🙂

Homework

hmwrj

Attachments:
      Kingsley
      Participant

Here is my research

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Fab work Kingsley, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Melvin
      Participant

Hi Beth,

this is my homework for the week. Sorry, I can’t put on an attachment. It doesn’t work.

🙂 🙂 🙂

Melvin

Mesolithic period

The Mesolithic period (or ‘Middle Stone Age’) in Britain dates from just after the end of the Pleistocene (‘Ice Age’) approximately 11,600 years ago, to the beginning of the Neolithic period about 4000 calibrated years BC. The type of culture associated with the Mesolithic varies between areas, but it is associated with a decline in the group hunting of large animals in favour of a broader hunter-gatherer way of life, and the development of more sophisticated and typically smaller lithic tools and weapons than the heavy-chipped equivalents typical of the Paleolithic. Depending on the region, some use of pottery and textiles may be found in sites allocated to the Mesolithic, but generally indications of agriculture are taken as marking transition into the Neolithic. The more permanent settlements tend to be close to the sea or inland waters offering a good supply of food. Mesolithic societies are not seen as very complex, and burials are fairly simple; in contrast, grandiose burial mounds are a mark of the Neolithic.

Inuit

They hunt for walrus on the frozen ice of the Arctic. They used harpoons and bows and arrows to take down animals of all sizes. They depend on hunting since finding plants is impossible in this extreme condition. There are four aspects, which are markers for social hierarchy in traditional Inuit culture: The community as a whole, leadership, gender and marital relationships and the relationship between the Inuit and the people of Canada. Most Inuit wintered either in snow-block houses generally referred to as igloos (iglus or igluvigaqs, depending on dialect) or in semi subterranean houses built of stone or sod over a wooden or whalebone framework. In summer many Inuit lived in animal-skin tents. Hunting is at the core of Inuit culture. Comprehensive knowledge of local wildlife and survival techniques combined with incredible patience, hunting skills, physical and mental strength, stamina and courage are  important fundamental values in traditional Inuit culture.

Ayoreo

The Ayoreo hunt armadillos in the american dry south chaco.The Ayoreo-Totobiegosode live in small communities. They grow squashes, beans and melons in the sandy soil, and hunt in the forest. Large tortoises and wild pigs are particularly prized, as is the abundant wild honey. In the forest four or five families will live together in a communal house.The Ayoreo have a deep connection to Eami, their collective territory. They are nomadic hunter-gatherers, but in the rainy season they plant small amounts of crops, including corn, beans, and squash. They hunt anteaters, pigs, tortoises, and monkeys in the forest and collect honey from the Quebecois tree. Despite being considered an ‘egalitarian society,’ the Ayoreo have a hierarchical model of social structure organized around prestige and social standing. During pre-mission life, men achieved social standing either by becoming an Asute (chief) or Narijai (shaman).

Awá

Everything the Awá need comes from the Amazon jungle. Their shelters, called Tapãí, are made from tree branches and palm leaves. The trees’ fibers are used to create hammocks, and they collect honey by using loops of vine to climb to the tops of the tallest trees. Even the resin from trees is burned to provide light! They hunt with bows and arrows and gather fruit, nuts, and honey in the jungle. Hunting for their dinner with two-metre bows and arrows called Irapara, the Awá are very choosy about what they feast on. Some animals, such as the capybara (a large rodent) and the harpy eagle, are forbidden, while bats are believed to cause headaches.The tribe’s children go fruit picking and fishing with their families, make juice out of acaí berries, play with miniature bows and arrows, and look after their pets. Because the Awá is a hunter-gatherer society,  they are also more egalitarian than other cultures, especially when it comes to food. They don’t have any steep hierarchies or inequalities. They share their material life, so they are really big-hearted in that sense.

Nenets

Nomadic Nenets live in chums, conical reindeer-hide tents in Siberia , Russia. They wear two reindeer-fur jackets with attached reindeer-fur gloves and reindeer-fur hoods and reindeer-fur boots that come up above the knees. The women sew new sets of clothing (using reindeer sinew as thread) every summer for everyone living in their chum. They have a shamanistic and animistic belief system which stresses respect for the land and its resources. During migrations, the Nenets placed sacred items like bear skins, religious figures, coins and more on a holy sleigh. They use the animals (mainly reindeer) for food, transportation, clothing, shelter, and tools, ensuring no part of the reindeer gets wasted. Reindeer hides are made into Nenets clothing, footwear, and tents, while reindeer leather is able to provide items such as harnesses. They don’t really hunt, they herd and then kill the reindeers in the herd. The Nenets’ life traditionally revolves around clans, based on paternal descent, that have their own territory, hunting and fishing rights. Under tight rules and customs, about 100 clans survive today.

Beth
        Participant

Lovely work Melvin, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 3

hmwrk

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Sorry everyone, my summary text didn’t post. Here it is:

In today’s lesson we completed our work on Wolf Brother, concluding our course with some ideas on the author behind the story and some of the wider symbols and themes in the book. We began by thinking about why Michelle Paver might have been inspired to write the book, before reading an interview with her. We then completed some language analysis of an extract from another book in the same series, before thinking about the symbolism of the demon bear and finally, debating some questions about what could come next. Everyone offered wonderful contributions today, well done class and fantastic work on some of the deeper symbolic elements of the text. See you next week 🙂

Michelle Paver video (you can watch the rest of this if you’d like as we only watched the first few minutes!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH-fl9Z4jSc

Yangyang
      Participant

Hi Beth,
      here is my chosen question
      WHEN TORAK AND RENN ARE CAUGHT IN THE
      SNOWSTORM, HE MUST DECIDE BETWEEN
      PROTECTING THE NANUAK AND RISKING IT TO
      SAVE RENN. DO YOU THINK HE MADE THE RIGHT
      DECISION? HOW DOES RENN FEEL ABOUT HIS
      DECISION (P. 237)? WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE
      DONE IN TORAK’S PLACE?
      below is my answer file. thanks for the lesson

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Excellent work Yangyang, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Jimmy
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is my homework. (I’m doing Question 3 in the Questions).

I think Torak was upset and bewildered by his dying father’s insistence that he to swear find the mountain of the world spirit because he had thought the mountain of the world spirit was not real since no one has ever found it and why his father had asked him to do this. Torak doesn’t understand much from his father since no one has ever found the mountain and if it did exist, how was he going to get there.

Beth
        Participant

Lovely work Jimmy, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Melvin
      Participant

Hi Beth,

this is my homework  (btw i’m doing Q3 🙂 )
      Melvin

WHEN TORAK AND RENN ARE CAUGHT IN THE SNOWSTORM, HE MUST DECIDE BETWEEN PROTECTING THE NANUAK AND RISKING IT TO SAVE RENN. DO YOU THINK HE MADE THE RIGHT DECISION? HOW DOES RENN FEEL ABOUT HIS DECISION (P. 237)? WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE IN TORAK’S PLACE?

I think he made the right decision because I think that was part of the 3 tests, whether to risk the nanuak or not and if he stayed in the cave, the world spirit may not accept the nanuak. Renn thought that he should have thaught twice (even though he did) and would have probably stayed in the cave and she thought that risking the nanuak was a test. If I were Torak I would have risked it for a friend (in this case I’m friends with Renn) even in this circumstance because I put others before me most of the times.

Beth
        Participant

Fab work Melvin, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Melvin
      Participant

Hi Beth,

the powerpoint isn’t on the website. did you forget to put it on? well please put it on soon so I know what the homework is. thanks. 🙂 🙂 🙂
      melvin

Beth
        Participant

Heya Melvin- thank you for this message! Must’ve failed to upload, have posted it below 🙂

Jimmy
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Question: where the usual analysis of the lesson because I forgot the homework is about.

thanks.

Beth
        Participant

Hey Jimmy – it’s below, it failed to upload. Thank you for letting me know 🙂

Beth
      Participant

So sorry guys- it hasn’t uploaded for some reason!

Uploading now

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 4

In today’s lesson we began our second book Pig Heart Boy by Malorie Blackman. We began with a discussion of what we liked and disliked in the novel, before thinking about what was important about the book and the issues it illuminates. We spoke about notions of ethics and morality- questioning what kinds of issues fit under each term and discussing how morality is more personal whereas ethics are societal. Finally we linked this to the book, thinking about the concept of medical ethics and studying the four pillars. The class then wrote some outstanding diary entries from the doctor’s perspective on Cameron’s surgery, which they completed beautifully. Fab work today everyone- you all grappled with some super complicated questions amazingly. Keep up the great work 🙂

Malorie Blackman video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4wKO-aTOXo&feature=emb_logo

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 5

In today’s lesson we continued our work on Pig Heart Boy, thinking about the characters in the novel and how we could infer important information about them and use this to work creatively with Malorie Blackman’s novel. We began by thinking of ways of ‘getting to know’ a fictional character through writing. We then moved on to continuing a conversation between Marlon and Cameron using our inference skills before completing a hot-seating exercise to get to the bottom of a particular character’s personality and motivations. Finally the class wrote a creative writing piece based on a character of their choice analysing how they would act in a strange situation and using everything they had learned from the text to help them. Fantastic and creative work today class- you all worked super hard and bounced some excellent ideas off one another, sharing and creating together. Well done and see you next week 🙂

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Storyboard to continue

hmwrks

Melvin
      Participant

Hi Beth,

sorry that I didn’t send last week’s homework; but, I’m sending it now with this week’s homework. 🙂

Melvin

The man who had the transplant had died 2 months after the transplant. Initially, the transplant was a success but a month later, they found that there was an imbalance in his body. Before the transplant, Bennett had been hospitalized for six weeks with a life-threatening arrhythmia and had been connected to a heart-lung bypass machine. He was in end-stage heart failure and didn’t qualify for a traditional heart transplant. The thing that was similar was that it ended up not in a success and both had drugs to stop rejection and desieses. The real life man lived for 2 months but cameron lived for longer than that before his heart started to fail and he wasn’t crazy and decide to reach the bottem of a pool after the transplant. Also David was 57 not 13.

I’m confused about this week’s homework. Do I follow the story or use the ending of the story and make the rest up. Could you explain it to me. Thanks. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Melvin
      Participant

Hi Beth,

sorry that I didn’t send last week’s homework; but, I’m sending it now with this week’s homework. 🙂

Melvin

The man who had the transplant had died 2 months after the transplant. Initially, the transplant was a success but a month later, they found that there was an imbalance in his body. Before the transplant, Bennett had been hospitalized for six weeks with a life-threatening arrhythmia and had been connected to a heart-lung bypass machine. He was in end-stage heart failure and didn’t qualify for a traditional heart transplant. The thing that was similar was that it ended up not in a success and both had drugs to stop rejection and desieses. The real life man lived for 2 months but cameron lived for longer than that before his heart started to fail and he wasn’t crazy and decide to reach the bottem of a pool after the transplant. Also David was 57 not 13.

I’m confused about this week’s homework. Do I follow the story or use the ending of the story and make the rest up. Could you explain it to me. Thanks. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Beth
        Participant

Hi Melvin- you use the ending of the story! 🙂

Beth
        Participant

Great work here Melvin, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Melvin
      Participant

Hi Beth,
      so do I make up the rest of the story and use the ending of the actual story? Well anyways , I’m going to do that.
      Melvin

Beth
        Participant

Heya- sorry I only just saw this. Either way works, don’t worry too much about it, it was meant to be the original ending but both sound good!

In the future, if you have questions about the homework it is usually quicker to message the organiser and ask them to ask me because I don’t get notifications for the website so don’t always see it right away 🙂

Melvin
      Participant

Hello Beth,
      Here is the home work that I hope I did correctly because I am still confused. Thanks.
      Melvin

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Beautiful work here Melvin, well done! Your storytelling is magnificent, utilising lots of different suspenseful techniques to create tension for the reader. I absolutely love the idea of the heart being poisoned in an effort to sabotage Dr Bryce’s career, such an exciting plot twist, and really enjoyed the climactic moment of the risky operation which then has a happy ending. Your illustrations are brilliant and very effective and I thought the way you had thought about continuing this story was very powerful, playing with themes of danger, friendship and bravery. To make this even better, could you add some more speech bubbles to the drawings to show the action unfolding? Overall amazing creative work well done 🙂

Spelling & grammar:

*or he will die

*poisoned/ poisoning

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 6

In today’s lesson we concluded our work on Pig Heart Boy by Malorie Blackman, thinking about the issues and ideas we had not yet touched on in reference to the novel. We began by thinking about the ending of the book- discussing whether it satisfied the students’ curiosity and then discussing and mapping out alternative endings. We then moved on to thinking about the theme of animal rights and what it can tell us about morality. Finally we thought about Cameron’s decisions and emotions near the end of the story and worked out what this could tell us about how we should all live life. Brilliant ideas everyone, you were really engaged and communicative throughout. Well done for the excellent moral debates on animal rights and for all your fab ideas. See you soon 🙂

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary of Lesson 7

In today’s lesson we began studying Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help plan and write the paragraphs assigned for homework. The powerpoint contains loads of information on the context of Oliver Twist, thinking about how the backdrop of Victorian England, ideas on social class, the workhouse and Victorian attitudes towards children have influenced the themes in the book, whilst also considering how we can connect the plot of the book to Dickens’ own experiences in childhood. We also discussed ideas around social class and the way Dickens plays with our assumptions about particular characters in order to make a greater political point about Victorian inequality. The powerpoint also contains a model example paragraph on the theme of poverty in the book which the students should use to help them with using quotations in their homework. Amazing ideas today everyone- really good research and work throughout. Keep up the great work! 🙂

Homework

hmwr

Attachments:
      Kingsley
      Participant

Here is my homework

We can think people are weak as they are skinny but they improve them wrong and show them their courage and strength.

Oliver challenges the prejudice the most as he goes to all sorts of places and he shows bravery even for for a small boy.

The moral of the story is to persevere in the face of adversity

Beth
        Participant

Lovely work Kingsley well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Melvin
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is my homework for this week. Thanks.

In what ways does Oliver Twist challenge our assumptions about people?
      Oliver twist challenges our assumptions about people because when we think of gentlemen, we think of kind, helpful men but in oliver twist, the gentlemen are cruel and frown upon orphans and peasants. Also, oliver is an orphan and we picture orphans getting adopted and whipped into shape with hard work and they obey the master’s command, in the Victorian period but oliver doesn listen and wait to get battered again, instead he runs away.

Melvin 🙂 🙂 🙂

Beth
        Participant

Stellar work Melvin, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Melvin
      Participant

Hi Beth,
      Sorry. I didn’t do last week’s homework.
      Melvin 🙁

Beth
        Participant

That’s okay Melvin- we all have busy weeks sometimes! Don’t worry about it 🙂

Beth
      Participant

Summary of Lesson 8

In today’s lesson we continued studying Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help plan and write the diary entries assigned for homework. The powerpoint contains loads of information on the themes of the novel, model P.E.E. paragraphs discussing how themes are explored in the book, ideas on narrative voice and perspective and our work on character analysis and inference. Everyone worked really well today, I particularly enjoyed everyone’s engagement in the hot seating exercise, all your questions, and inference skills were fantastic! Great work today everyone, well done and see you next week 🙂

Here is the link to the Horrible Histories video on Victorian life. The sketch I’d like you to watch about criminal life is between 4.47-7.00 mins but if you want you can watch the whole thing!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVGaumifWkE&feature=emb_logo

Here is the link to an interesting document about the theme of crime in the novel. Give it a read if you have time for some more information about the history and themes behind Oliver Twist: https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/english/AQA-7716-7717-TO-CRIME-OT.PDF

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Melvin
      Participant

Hi Beth,

this is my homework for the week. thanks.

Melvin 🙂 🙂 🙂

when oliver met fagin and crew

“This is fagin Oliver.” said Jack dawkins.
      “Come Oliver, let me hang your coat for you.”said Fagin.”haha. another potential theif. Yay. more money and food and luxuaries.” thought Fagin. “Ka-ching.” went his mind.
      The other boys scambled to help him with his things. Fagin secretly rubbed his hands behind Oliver’s back. “surprised to see that many handkercheifs? They’re just about to be washed.” lied Fagin.
      Oliver ate his food and sank into sleep as Fagin came up with a scheme that would turn Oliver into a theif without him knowing is.

Beth
        Participant

Super work Melvin well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 9

In today’s lesson we completed our study of Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help plan and write the paragraphs assigned for homework. The powerpoint contains our work on character analysis, using both skills of inference and close textual analysis to find evidence for opinions formed on this basis, along with our ideas on the importance of villany and villains in the novel and our thoughts on whether the book has a nuanced or more black and white view of morality. We had a really interesting discussion on whether Oliver was a passive or active protagonist and how Nancy is a tragic character in the novel. The class worked beautifully today unpicking key passages from the novel and sharing thoughts on Dickens’ writing style which I thought were very impressive. Amazing work today and over the past nine weeks everyone, it has been a pleasure working with you and hearing all your fab ideas. Keep up the wonderful work and see you in the future 🙂

Tragedy video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBvVD08_0hU

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Jimmy
      Participant

Hi Beth,

here is my homework (I am doing question A). Thanks🙂

I think he is one dimensional, purely evil because he was one of the people who convinced Oliver into thinking that steeling is good. He also died in the court I think but I think it was his fault since if he didn’t steel that much, he might not have died put just sentenced to prison for 1 or 2 years or something like that.

P.S did Fagin shoot Oliver or was it someone else again.

Beth
        Participant

Wonderful work Jimmy well done 🙂

Attachments:
Viewing 28 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar