Forums 2023 Winter Courses Reading-Year567-Mon

Viewing 104 reply threads
  • Author
      VMWEdu
      Keymaster
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 1

In today’s class we began our work on our first book, Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver. We thought about the historical context behind the book, learning all about the Mesolithic Period and the different ways in which people lived at the time. We discussed what we liked and didn’t about the book, completed a research task to find out about the history and compared the book to another fictional story of a family living in the Middle Stone Age. Finally the class created some excellent characters inspired by the book, thinking about how to create a clan to represent them and applying all their historical knowledge about Mesolithic peoples’ way of life in order to come up with some creative and historically accurate representations of the Stone Age. Lovely work today everyone, well done for all your perceptive questions and fantastic historical understanding. Keep up the fab work and see you next week 🙂

P.S. The worksheet is attached below

Video we watched on the Mesolithic Period: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DkXHi-udxg&feature=emb_logo

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      EmilyH
      Participant

Beth this is my homework!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Wonderful work Emily well done! I absolutely love the pictures you have drawn and the colours you have chosen which jump off the page beautifully. I love that you have continued the wolf theme throughout the image, with your character wearing wolf fur, and the wolf tattoo representing their connection to the animal wonderfully. Fab choice of character name too. Excellent work well done 🙂

AmyZ
      Participant

Dear Beth: please check my homework. thank you!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Fantastic Amy, well done! I love the line drawing you have done for the clan tattoo which stands out beautifully and is very striking, reflecting the personality of the eagle wonderfully. I also really like that you have focused on flight as being very important within this clan. Lovely work well done 🙂

Emili
      Participant

Hi Beth

Thank you for the amazing start to the lesson. Here is my homework.

P.S Today’s homework was fun!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Gorgeous work Emily, well done! Your artwork here is beautifully presented and I absolutely love how detailed your presentation of this world is, with the labels outlining wonderfully the way in which your clan would function. You have thought really well about how people would live in these conditions and I really enjoyed your clan tattoo. Great work well done 🙂 (I am glad you enjoyed it!)

Spelling: Pheonix

Beth
      Participant

Here is the worksheet

Attachments:
      Isabella
      Participant

Hi Beth this is my homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Fab work Isabella, well done! I love your beautiful depiction of a dolphin in your clan tattoo and how it is in motion just peaking out from the ocean. You have kept your ideas wonderfully consistent, with the ocean, swimming and wildlife factoring into all the elements you’ve chosen. Excellent work, well done 🙂

sally
      Participant

Hi Beth

here is my Homework

from sally

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Super work Sally, well done! Your drawings are really detailed and intriguing, and I love the idea of using feathers for your character’s outfit. Your depiction of the hunting scene is beautifully drawn and I thought the idea of your guardian playing with you was a really fun choice of word. Fantastic clan tattoo as well, I love the expression on the deer’s face! Great work well done 🙂

Charlotte
      Participant

Hi Beth

here is my Homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Beautiful work Charlotte, well done! Your drawings here are wonderfully detailed and I love how you have presented the animal skin on your character. The camp is depicted excellently, with lots of details that would be very important to survival in the Stone Age, and I really like your clan tattoo too which is very eye-catching. Fab choice of the word hunt to link to the lion clan. Fantastic work well done 🙂

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 2

In today’s lesson we continued our work on Wolf Brother, thinking about elements of the book including character, genre and theme. We started with a research project on wolves, with the class considering why Paver may have chosen a wolf to have at the centre of her story. We then moved on to some character analysis, which everyone completed beautifully, before finishing with a creative and analytical task regarding genre. The class discussed the genre that they think the book falls under, coming up with adventure, mystery, horror, magical realism and fantasy. Then they wrote their own modified versions in genres of their choice of particular scenes, ranging from comedy to fairytale. Amazing work today everyone, well done for all your thoughtful work and in-depth analysis of the story. See you next week 🙂

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Emili
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This time the homework was tricky and I couldn’t complete it. I gave it a go though. It isn’t much

Thank you

Emily

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

That’s okay Emily! A lovely start well done 🙂

Attachments:
      stacy chen
      Participant

Dear Beth,

This is my homework for Writing class

Thank you!

Stacy

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Wonderful work Stacy, well done! 🙂

Attachments:
      AmyZ
      Participant

Dear Beth:

Please help to check my homework, thank you!

Amy

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Excellent work Amy, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

Ancient Rome,

Traditions

Ancient Romes traditions was multiple gods and goddesses and they would worship them all. They had a greatly influenced the law that time which did affect our laws this day. Some traditions like fast food might just seem like an invention from the future, but the Romans were the first country to have street stalls  and moving food as we might think of it this day. The gods they worshiped were Jupiter, Juno, Mars, Mercury, Neptune, Venus, Apollo, Diana, Minerva, Ceres, Vulcan, and Vesta.

Cultures

If you were wealthy your life will just be living in a dream of happiness and wealth you live in huge mansions often built on hills away Rome and  from the smell and noise of the cars passing by. They enjoyed an amazing lifestyle with luxury furniture, servants and slaves everywhere in the house to make everything they wanted true. Roman famous cultures was an eclectic mix of high culture, the arts, fashion and historic architecture.

The Roman culture changed throughout the years and the Roman law now grew hugely like the social views. Ancient Rome was actually a republic and the Rome we know now is a democracy a system of government.

Beth
        Participant

Lovely work Emily, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      sally
      Participant

Hi Beth

this is my Homework。 Sally

The prehistoric period is when there was human life before records documented human activity , dates from 2.5 million to 1200B.C .

Prehistoric men and the prehistoric humans are the first and various people that lives in earth in the long period of the prehistory.

The word “Prehistoric” is an adjective it describes when humans haven’t invented writing so there wasn’t  something like a writing record .

And did you know that human ancestors actually did live with dinosaurs for a little time before the beasts .

Prehistory is a term for the extensive time period before humans created writing systems. It is thought to have lasted from 2.5 million years ago, with the earliest hominid tool use, until 3,600 BCE, when ancient Mesopotamians developed writing

Beth
        Participant

Fab work Sally well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Melvin
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is my homework for last week. Sorry it’s late. When I sent last week, It went through but I couldn’t see it so I’m sending it again. 🙂

Melvin

Mesolithic period

The Mesolithic period (or ‘Middle Stone Age’) in Britain dates from just after the end of the Pleistocene (‘Ice Age’) approximately 11,600 years ago, to the beginning of the Neolithic period about 4000 calibrated years BC. The type of culture associated with the Mesolithic varies between areas, but it is associated with a decline in the group hunting of large animals in favour of a broader hunter-gatherer way of life, and the development of more sophisticated and typically smaller lithic tools and weapons than the heavy-chipped equivalents typical of the Paleolithic. Depending on the region, some use of pottery and textiles may be found in sites allocated to the Mesolithic, but generally indications of agriculture are taken as marking transition into the Neolithic. The more permanent settlements tend to be close to the sea or inland waters offering a good supply of food. Mesolithic societies are not seen as very complex, and burials are fairly simple; in contrast, grandiose burial mounds are a mark of the Neolithic.

Inuit

They hunt for walrus on the frozen ice of the Arctic. They used harpoons and bows and arrows to take down animals of all sizes. They depend on hunting since finding plants is impossible in this extreme condition. There are four aspects, which are markers for social hierarchy in traditional Inuit culture: The community as a whole, leadership, gender and marital relationships and the relationship between the Inuit and the people of Canada. Most Inuit wintered either in snow-block houses generally referred to as igloos (iglus or igluvigaqs, depending on dialect) or in semi subterranean houses built of stone or sod over a wooden or whalebone framework. In summer many Inuit lived in animal-skin tents. Hunting is at the core of Inuit culture. Comprehensive knowledge of local wildlife and survival techniques combined with incredible patience, hunting skills, physical and mental strength, stamina and courage are  important fundamental values in traditional Inuit culture.

Ayoreo

The Ayoreo hunt armadillos in the american dry south chaco.The Ayoreo-Totobiegosode live in small communities. They grow squashes, beans and melons in the sandy soil, and hunt in the forest. Large tortoises and wild pigs are particularly prized, as is the abundant wild honey. In the forest four or five families will live together in a communal house.The Ayoreo have a deep connection to Eami, their collective territory. They are nomadic hunter-gatherers, but in the rainy season they plant small amounts of crops, including corn, beans, and squash. They hunt anteaters, pigs, tortoises, and monkeys in the forest and collect honey from the Quebecois tree. Despite being considered an ‘egalitarian society,’ the Ayoreo have a hierarchical model of social structure organized around prestige and social standing. During pre-mission life, men achieved social standing either by becoming an Asute (chief) or Narijai (shaman).

Awá

Everything the Awá need comes from the Amazon jungle. Their shelters, called Tapãí, are made from tree branches and palm leaves. The trees’ fibers are used to create hammocks, and they collect honey by using loops of vine to climb to the tops of the tallest trees. Even the resin from trees is burned to provide light! They hunt with bows and arrows and gather fruit, nuts, and honey in the jungle. Hunting for their dinner with two-metre bows and arrows called Irapara, the Awá are very choosy about what they feast on. Some animals, such as the capybara (a large rodent) and the harpy eagle, are forbidden, while bats are believed to cause headaches.The tribe’s children go fruit picking and fishing with their families, make juice out of acaí berries, play with miniature bows and arrows, and look after their pets. Because the Awá is a hunter-gatherer society,  they are also more egalitarian than other cultures, especially when it comes to food. They don’t have any steep hierarchies or inequalities. They share their material life, so they are really big-hearted in that sense.

Nenets

Nomadic Nenets live in chums, conical reindeer-hide tents in Siberia , Russia. They wear two reindeer-fur jackets with attached reindeer-fur gloves and reindeer-fur hoods and reindeer-fur boots that come up above the knees. The women sew new sets of clothing (using reindeer sinew as thread) every summer for everyone living in their chum. They have a shamanistic and animistic belief system which stresses respect for the land and its resources. During migrations, the Nenets placed sacred items like bear skins, religious figures, coins and more on a holy sleigh. They use the animals (mainly reindeer) for food, transportation, clothing, shelter, and tools, ensuring no part of the reindeer gets wasted. Reindeer hides are made into Nenets clothing, footwear, and tents, while reindeer leather is able to provide items such as harnesses. They don’t really hunt, they herd and then kill the reindeers in the herd. The Nenets’ life traditionally revolves around clans, based on paternal descent, that have their own territory, hunting and fishing rights. Under tight rules and customs, about 100 clans survive today.

Beth
        Participant

Hey Melvin- this isn’t the right forum, this is for the Monday class. Here is the link for your forum:

Reading-Year567-Thur

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 3

In today’s lesson we completed our work on Wolf Brother, concluding our course with some ideas on the author behind the story and some of the wider symbols and themes in the book. We began by thinking about why Michelle Paver might have been inspired to write the book, before reading an interview with her. We then completed some language analysis of an extract from another book in the same series, before thinking about the symbolism of the demon bear and finally, debating some questions about what could come next. Fab ideas today class, well done for thinking deeply about the way this book was inspired and for all your wonderful contributions. See you for Inkheart next week 🙂

Michelle Paver video (you can watch the rest of this if you’d like as we only watched the first few minutes!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH-fl9Z4jSc

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      michaelP
      Participant

hi beth

here is my home work

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Fab work Michael, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Jasmine
      Participant

Hi Beth

This is my HW. I really like the interactive lesson.

Thanks

Jasmine 🙂

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

I am so glad you enjoyed it!

Gorgeous work Jasmine, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

This is for the third question on slide 8.

Does Torak understand why his father had asked him to find a mountain that he thought was imaginary?

I don’t think he understood but he knew about the demon bear and maybe he thought that his father was joking. I don’t think Torak understood what his father said because the forest just suddenly exploded and he was just so worried that I don’t think he would think of that now in this time plus he doesn’t think that the world spirit was real. He would’ve understood because he’d never heard of something like the world spirits, to be honest I would’ve thought that it was a made up place from some kind of story. When Torak’s dad told him to go to the mountain he was surprised because he knew that nobody ever went there before and recognized it as a fictional place so when his dad asked him to go he wouldn’t have understood. I think he would’ve thought that his dad just wanted to get him to safety but yet he doesn’t know which makes it more bewildering to Torak.
      No, I don’t think that Torak understands why his father asked him to go to the mountains because he clearly thinks that it’s not a real place just a imaginary place made up by some random people.

Beth
        Participant

Great work Emily, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Emili
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Sorry for the late homework

Thank you,

Emily

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Wonderful work Emily, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Charlotte
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the lesson it was great

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

You’re very welcome- fab work Charlotte, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Ivy
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is Ivy’s homework.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Brilliant work Ivy, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      sally
      Participant

Hi Beth

This is Sally’s homework

For the third question on slide 8

I think Torak wouldn’t understand what his dad was saying because first he would be kind of miserable of when he woke up seeing his dad got killed by a demon bear and maybe thought that their wouldn’t be an imaginary mountain in the forest so he probably did not understand what his dad was saying.

Beth
        Participant

Fab work Sally, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 4

In today’s lesson we began our work on Inkheart by Cornelia Funke, thinking about the characters in the book and how we can use them to inspire our own writing. We began with a brief discussion of the book before thinking about literary archetypes and what the term refers to. The students then came up with some brilliant archetype analysis of Inkheart, completing character profiles based on their findings. Finally, they wrote some short stories, dropping the characters from the novel into whole different worlds. Wonderful work today class, you were all super engaged and creative throughout. Keep up the brilliant work, well done for today 🙂

P.S. All homework feedback will be uploaded this eve !

Archetype video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=23&v=dvYM4GIbYKg&feature=emb_logo

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      stacy chen
      Participant

Dear Beth,

This is my homework for this weeks writing class, sorry it’s late.

Thank you!

Second Question:

When Torak and Renn are caught in the snowstorm, he had a chance, either to save the Nanuak or to risk it to save Renn. I think that he had made the wrong decision because he could’ve gone and found Renn first as it’s the most important thing. The reason is because Renn can help Torak find back the Nanuak after she is saved from him. To add on this, if Torak had the Nanuak, it could weigh him down a lot if he got all the three pieces of them. In the story, Renn felt really furious about his decision as he could have found Renn first, after she could help Torak find the Nanuak back. Lastly, if I was Torak, Iwould risk it to save Renn first as I could leave something else to remember the place after saving Renn.

Beth
        Participant

Lovely work Stacy, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Jasmine
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thank you for the awesome lesson.

This is my HW. The extract is for chapter 3 page 27.

Thanks Jasmine

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

You’re very welcome. Fab work Jasmine, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      michaelP
      Participant

hi beth

here is my homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Good work Michael, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Julia
      Participant
      Julia
      Participant
        Beth
        Participant

Excellent work Julia, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      stacy chen
      Participant

Dear Beth,

This is my homework for this week’s Reading class.

Thanks for the lesson.

Stacy

Chapter 4,

I think Cornelia Funke puts quotation from other books at the beginning of each chapter because she wants us to know what that chapter that you are going to read is similar to what book. I think it’s also because she wants us to read that book, to put that as a recommendation and to inspire you from reading that book.

In chapter 4 page 30, the quotation is a sort of poem. The way that this quotation tells us about Inkheart is that chapter 4 is about books, the quotation too is also about books as it talks about the best of reasons about books in the 7th line. It tells us how Mo in the story likes reading books, in their house, there are books piled everywhere not just on shelves but also under the table, just everywhere, even Maggie in the story likes reading books as well!

Beth
        Participant

Great work Stacy, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Emili
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thank you for the wonderful lesson and great start to the book

Emily

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

You’re super welcome! Excellent work Emily, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

I think Cornelia Funke put quotations in the book because I think she thinks that it kind of tells the reader that it might be inspired from that piece in that book like, when it said from the quote in page 357, ‘It’s the place that worries you’ said Hazel. ‘I don’t like it myself, but it will go on forever.’ It’s the chapter when Meggie is stuck in Capricorn’s house and she plans to escape when she gave an excuse to go to the toilet. It shows that she wants to escape from it and it will stop one day but when she tried she failed. It shows that Meggie thinks that one day this will end and Capricorn and the others will be sent back into the book Inkheart but she isn’t really sure about it. She’s trapped inside Capricorn’s house and it’s the place that worries her, she will have to read to Capricorn. It’s the place that worries her and the place where she thinks she can’t leave and will go on forever.
      It relates by it saying‘It’s the place that worries you’ and it’s actually the place where Meggie thinks is worrying.
      It also says ‘I don’t like it myself, but it will go on forever.’ It describes how Meggie and Fengolio are trapped and thinks that it will never end.

Beth
        Participant

Fantastic work Emily, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      AmyZ
      Participant

Dear Beth:

Please help to check my homework, thank you!

Amy

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Exceptional work Amy, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Ivy
      Participant

Dear Beth:

Here is Ivy’s homework.

Thanks

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Super work Ivy, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      sally
      Participant

Hi Beth

This is Sally’s homework

I think funk puts those quotations on each chapter to like represent that there also many book that kind of have the same meaning of Inkheart .

And I think what it tells us is that the author read many books so that when he put those quotations of other books on his every chapter the reader will know he read a lot of books

Beth
        Participant

Nice work Sally, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 5

In today’s lesson we continued our study of Inkheart, working on bringing the story to life through our understanding of character and theme. We began the class with a discussion of the role of quotations and intertextuality in the book, with the students then going on to choose their own quotations from other books that they felt worked well with a particular chapter of Inkheart. We then moved on to thinking about an in-depth understanding of the theme of the past in the book, exploring this in reference to a character they thought was stuck in the past or nostalgic for their old life. We discussed the idea of the past being dead in the novel, and debated what Funke is telling us about this theme. Finally, the class wrote some excellent backstories for various characters, using their inference skills to expand beyond the world of the book. Fab work today class, well done for all your detailed character work and the breadth of the ideas you shared. Keep up the wonderful work and see you next time 🙂

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      michaelP
      Participant

hi beth here is my homework

Attachments:
      Jasmine
      Participant

Hi Beth

Thank you for the wonderful lession. I am looking forward to next week Monday.

Thanks

Jasmine

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Amazing work Jasmine, well done 🙂

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

You are very welcome too !

Emili
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is my homework today,

Thank You!

EMILY

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Impressive work Emily, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Charlotte
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the great lesson!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Wonderful work Charlotte, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Julia
      Participant

Hi Beth

Here’s my homework, sorry it’s late.

Thanks!

Julia

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OMgAJPVG7yw0gXh8KS1pYjiBYXnHfDeGOJGGhKxRK1w/edit?usp=sharing

Beth
        Participant

No worries at all- exceptional work Julia, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      AmyZ
      Participant

Dear Beth, here is my homework! Have an amazing day!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Gorgeous work Amy, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      stacy chen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is my homework for this week’s Reading class

Thanks for the wonderful lesson, I found it very useful

Stacy

Q: What is your process? How long do you work on your stories?

A: I usually take about 4 to 5 months planning them and about 7 to 9 months writing them and to my opinion, I think it is very fun because that is the opportunity when you get to show your creativity. So, it takes about 1 year but sometimes 2 to 3 months after that to just get the finish touches and checking for any mistakes in the story like grammar, punctuation and spelling.

Q: What made you want to be a writer like you are now?

A: Ohh, great question, when I was little, I use to really enjoy reading books like adventures and fantasy so that’s what made me want to be a author because I’m the sort of person that enjoys adventures so I decided to be a writer.

Q: Interesting, here is another question, why did you choose to put quotations in your books like Inkheart?

A: That is a really popular question that people ask me.It is because I want children’s or even adults who are reading this book to give them a little head-start so they would know what each chapter is going to be talking about. I mainly put them is also because I want the reader to also read the books that I put as the quotations, I put them as a really strong recommendation because they are also about fantasy and adventures if they are curious  about that, most children like it.

Q: Last question, what age would you recommend this book to?

A:Will, I don’t really put any restrictions for it but I would think that above 9 years old would be a great age to start reading this book. Sometimes, children aged 8 years  old would think that it is scary because I put Capricorn as a really evil character, and they would have nightmares about them. But some adults also read it so I think it is pretty amazing!

Q: Will, I think that this backstory that I heard is pretty amazing, thanks and have a lovely day ahead! Bye!

A: Great to hear that, Bye! It has been such a pleasure.

Beth
        Participant

You’re very welcome! Wonderful work Stacy, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      stacy chen
      Participant

Dear Beth,

This is my homework for this weeks class

Stacy

Dear Sir,

I would like to say that people who are putting fireworks late at night should be aware that it is very dangerous due to that some people are sleeping in at nighttime. It could cause serious injury and deadly disaster. Some people disagree, but I agree seriously, I think that it should be controlled and be only used for the royal family. It shall not be used at public’s if only your community and government allows you to.

Unfortunately, some people say that they should not be banned because they are used to celebrate Chinese new year, new year or special celebrations. If fireworks were banned, some people may overreact as if they are going to burst like an explosive volcano! So for now on,  I think that fireworks can be used only in a big field because some people may not like fireworks or they would think that their place is a safe environment. I think you should do that as people may be angry if we listen to the other people side and the other people who like fireworks may think that it’s not fair.

Kind Regards,

Stacy

stacy chen
        Participant

Sorry Beth, I send it in the wrong file. Sorry 😞

EmilyH
      Participant

Interviewer: Today we have a special guest, Cornelia Funke! Please make yourself comfortable Funke. Are you ready?

Funke: Yes I am.
      Interviewer:  Ok so Funke, why did you become a writer?
      Funke: During my social work I focused on working with children who came from deprived backgrounds. I had a stint illustrating books, I soon began writing my own stories.
      Interviewer:hmm interesting, when did you become a writer?
      Funke: I’ve been writing novels in the late 1980s, I focused firstly on fantasy stories that render the lives of children faced with adversity.
      Interviewer: Ok next question, why did you write Inkheart?

Funke: Interesting question, I wrote Inkheart to tell people that the struggle to make things right is life’s purpose, not the actual making things right because things will never be all right.
      Interviewer: hmm good answer, What books did you write?

Funke: The thief lord, dragon rider, Inkheart series.
      Interviewer: I’ve already read all of them! Who is your favourite character to write in Inkheart?
      Funke:I usually can say who’s my favorite, Cymberlyn. But not for Inkheart. I love Dustfinger of course, but Mo and Meggie and Elinor and Fenoglio too. And Brianna and Roxane and the glasmen and The Black Prince – well, maybe he IS one of my secret favourites.And his bear of course! Wait! That’s already Inkspell!

Interviewer: Thank you for joining us today Funke, hope you have a nice day!
      Funke: hope you have a nice day too!

Ivy
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is Ivy’s homework.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Lovely work Ivy, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 6

In today’s lesson we finished our work on Inkheart, concluding our three lessons with a reflection on the central ideas, themes and messages of the book. We watched an interview with the author to kick our lesson off today, thinking about what did and did not surprise us about her attitude towards writing, before thinking about some of the key themes which the class did excellently! We then spoke about the moral, comparing the students’ opinions to those of various book reviews, and the class evaluated a book review video to see what they did and didn’t agree with. Finally, we completed a short creative writing task where the class imagined what could happen next beyond the end of the book. Lovely ideas today everyone, well done for all your fantastic work throughout, particularly when thinking about what could happen next. See you next week 🙂

Cornelia Funke interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IfBi-eotHA

Book review video we watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=eHiFLOGnYZo&feature=emb_logo

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

This is my homework from last lesson

Interviewer: Today we have a special guest that somehow showed up today even though they’re not alive, it’s Cornelia Funke!

Cornelia Funke: Hi, nice to meet you today!

Interviewer: Today you’re going to answer some questions, are you ready?

Cornelia Funke: Yes
      Interviewer: First question, what is your story from child to adult?
      Cornelia Funke: when I was a child I wanted to be an astronaut but later I decided to study a different topic instead. After, I was a social worker for 3 more years, I started working with poor backstory’s!
      Interviewer: ooh interesting! When did you start writing?
      Cornelia Funke:I started writing in the my novels in the 19 hundreds!
      Interviewer: so what inspired you to write Inkheart?
      Cornelia Funke: I was reading a book when I suddenly got an idea of writing a book in a book, then I wanted to write a fantasy book so after I decided to write Inkheart.
      Interviewer:oh so that’s how, what’s your favourite part of being a writer?
      Cornelia Funke: my favourite part of being an writer is that I could entertain, write all my ideas down on the paper and share it to the rest.
      Interviewer: Inspiring! So now next question! How ,many books had you read?
      Cornelia Funke: probably hundreds or thousands of books I’ve read, it all inspired me to write new stories.
      Interviewer: Okay, so thank you for joining today Cornelia, hope you have a nice day!
      Cornelia Funke: And hope you have a nice day too! Bye!

Beth
        Participant

Amazing work Emily, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Emili
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thank you for another wonderful lesson.

Emil

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

You’re so welcome- absolutely fantastic work this week Emily, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      stacy chen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

I had a wonderful lesson,

I found your last week’s comment really useful, this is my book review for this week’s class

Thank you!🙏

Author of the book: Cornelia Funke

Title of the book: Inkheart

What was good about the book:

In the story, I enjoyed the beginning of the book as it introduced what Meggie looked liked and the fact that Cornelia Fuke introduced her as being a little sneaky because she was peeking next to the door to see what was happening. Mo and Dustfinger were talking about the evil character in the book. I also liked it when Meggie stuck her foot out when his dad told him to.

Why it was not good:

I found the book also it bit uninteresting because when it started to describe Capricon’s fight I found it bit scaring and kept looking at my room and my heart thumped as fast as a rabbit hopping desperate for some food.

Putting Quotations in:

I think it was really useful that Cornelia Funke had put  some quotations for us in the book as then, you could know what each chapter is definitely going to be talking about.It could also inspire you from reading the book as shown, it might be really important maybe also adventures that follows some brilliant ideas from this author.

Some recommendations:

For my opinion, I would recommend this book to an adult or either a child above 8 years old since you could have really bad nightmares about the evil characters.

Star rating:

Apart from that creepy things I just said, I think that I would rate this book at about 5 out of5 ⭐️

Beth
        Participant

I am so glad you enjoyed it Stacy, super work today well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Julia
      Participant
        Beth
        Participant

You are very welcome- outstanding work Julia, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Felix
      Participant

Hi Beth, Thanks for the lesson.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hey Felix- this is the wrong forum! Remember to post on the 567 writing (this is reading)

Jasmine
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thank you for the supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Lesson. (It was extremely good)

Excited for Monday’s lesson.

Jasmine

Attachments:
        Jasmine
        Participant

Hi Beth,

This is my updated version. Please ignore the previous one.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

You are super welcome Jasmine- wonderful work today well done 🙂

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

Inkheart is about a twelve year old girl named Meggie and her father ‘Mo’ who can read things out of different books by reading aloud. When Meggie was little Mo accidentally read out Capricorn and two of his men out from Inkheart but also there’s Dustfinger. Capricorn (the villain of the story) hunted for Mo. When they left Mo couldn’t find Meggie’s mother and was thought that either she was taken or had been sucked in the story. After a ten years, Capricorn is still on the hunt for Mo to make him read out a monster from Inkheart to help him kill and do all his wicked work and crimes. Mo is also called Silvertongue because he can read out different people from books.

What I liked about the book: It’s really interesting because it’s has a lot of plot twists in the book and the tension is very strong and it really thrills the reader. The ending makes us think of lots of different questions unanswered.
      It makes the reader wondering what will happen next and will their questions ever be answered.

What I didn’t like about the book: I didn’t really have anything that I didn’t like except for when it said that Capricorn and his men burnt all of Eleanor’s books I felt really bad for her somehow but after when I read that she brought the books that was burnt back by searching them in all of the book stores I felt a little bit better.
      I’ll give the book a 4/5

Beth
        Participant

Hey Emily- I put both your feedbacks together on the first document you submitted above 🙂

Ivy
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is Ivy’s homework.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Some great work Ivy, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      michaelP
      Participant

<p style=”text-align: center;”>hi beth here is my homework</p>

Attachments:
      Charlotte
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the wonderful lesson

Author of the book: Cornelia Funke

Title of the book: Inkheart

What was good about the book:

Iliked the part when Meggie found out about Mo’s ability to read things out of a book. I expecially liked this part, because I think the discription of how his voice sounded was very interesting.

Why it was not good:

I didn’t really like it when Feniglo told Meggie that the place Capricorn kept them was fopr farm animals. I felt like it was very disgusting.

Putting Quotations in:

I think it was really useful that Cornelia had put quotations in the book, because it helps me know what each chapter is going to be about. It also makes me want to read the books that had the quotation in it.

Some recommendations:

I would recommend this book to Adults and children older than 6 years old, because of all the horible things Capricorn and the rest of his man did.

Star rating:

For the overal rating I would give it a 5 out of 5

Beth
        Participant

You’re very welcome Charlotte- nice work today well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Ryan
      Participant

This is my book review.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Excellent work Ryan, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 7

In today’s lesson we began our third book Pig Heart Boy by Malorie Blackman. We began with a discussion of what we liked and disliked in the novel, before thinking about what was important about the book and the issues it illuminates. We spoke about notions of ethics and morality- questioning what kinds of issues fit under each term and discussing how morality is more personal whereas ethics are societal. Finally we linked this to the book, thinking about the concept of medical ethics and studying the four pillars. The class then wrote some wonderful diary entries from the doctor’s perspective on Cameron’s surgery, which they completed with great maturity and sophistication. Really engaging and exhilarating work today everyone, I was very impressed by you all. Keep up the fab job 🙂

Malorie Blackman video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4wKO-aTOXo&feature=emb_logo

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Emili
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thank you for the wonderful lesson. Here is my homework

Emily

First, you can see that from both Cameron’s experience and David’s experience was that both of the hearts were from a genetically modified pig because of the many risks of using a normal one including pig virus, and potentially death. Cameron survived for a way longer time compared to David.

Both of the operations were very experimental with a fifty/fifty chance of surviving. It would be obvious to be  very scared before the operation.

Another similarity would be that both of them had no other choice due to the shortage of organ donors. The waiting list would be long for a transplant and not many people are fortunate enough to receive one.

Differences are that David died two months later because his body was rejecting the heart and that the heart was later found to have a pig virus.

Beth
        Participant

You’re very welcome- wonderful work Emily, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Ryan
      Participant

This is my homework.

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

The similarities are that they both have heart problems and illnesses causing them to have to change their heart into a pig heart. That both had end-stage heart failure and were in desperate need of a heart transplant. They had to have a pigs heart transplanted in there bodies because if they didn’t they would’ve died younger.
      They both chose if they wanted to have a pig heart transplanted into themselves in the end.

The difference are that David Bennet, the real person who got a pigs heart, was 58 years and Cameron was 13 years old the age difference is very different. In David Bennett’s case, the heart was obtained from a modified pig, which was created specifically for him and the transplant. Cameron’s heart was taken from a pig who had not been modified in any sort or any way. David Bennett was a 58-year-old man who had end-stage heart failure and was not expected to survive without a heart transplant. Cameron is a 13-year-old boy who had a heart defect since he was a toddler and needed a heart transplant to continue living his life normally.

Beth
        Participant

Amazing work Emily well done 🙂

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

The similarities are that they both have heart problems and illnesses causing them to have to change their heart into a pig heart. That both had end-stage heart failure and were in desperate need of a heart transplant. They had to have a pigs heart transplanted in there bodies because if they didn’t they would’ve died younger.
      They both chose if they wanted to have a pig heart transplanted into themselves in the end.

The difference are that David Bennet, the real person who got a pigs heart, was 58 years and Cameron was 13 years old the age difference is very different. In David Bennett’s case, the heart was obtained from a modified pig, which was created specifically for him and the transplant. Cameron’s heart was taken from a pig who had not been modified in any sort or any way. David Bennett was a 58-year-old man who had end-stage heart failure and was not expected to survive without a heart transplant. Cameron is a 13-year-old boy who had a heart defect since he was a toddler and needed a heart transplant to continue living his life normally.

Julia
      Participant
        Beth
        Participant

Superb work Julia, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Jasmine
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the fantastic lesson

Here is my HW

Jasmine

Attachments:
      michaelP
      Participant

hi beth here is my homework

David Bennett the one and only man who had a pig heart transplant.

During a interview with his son he said “after the transplant he took us to watch the super bowl”

On the 8th march he passed away but it was bot precise what happened for his death. The doctors warned bennet that his conditions were frail. At first his heart beat like a Ferrari engine because the pig is a small being with a small body this means the heart has to work extra time.

In pig heart boy:

They both had a transplant they both were in a fragile condition they both did extreme things for there mental conditions like cameron who nearly drowned.

Beth
        Participant

Excellent work Michael, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Ivy
      Participant

Ivy’s homework.Thanks 🙂

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Incredible work Ivy well done 🙂

Attachments:
      stacy chen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is my homework for this week’s lesson,

It was a bit gross but it was fun,

Thanks for the wonderful lesson,

Stacy

In the book Pig Heart Boy, Cameron and David Bennett have had a pig heart for their lives due to some reasons. The first person to receive a genetically engineered pig heart, David Bennett did in January 2022, only 2 years ago. However, as you know they had both got a pig heart, Cameron lived far more longer than David Bennett. He only lived for 2 months after having the pig transplant. It was weird but David Bennett was already 58 years old. It was because that later, they found out that the pig had, had a disease so it didn’t quite work for the man, David Bennett that lived shorter than Cameron in the story.

The difference in the story is that Cameron was only 13 years old when he had a pig heart but David Bennett was only about 57 to 58 years old when he had the transplant, it has a little bit of impact as it’s based in the story. Cameron have had a heart defect since he was a baby and had always needed a heart transplant to live him a more normal life onwards. The difference can also be that David Bennett had a modified pig for his heart whilst Cameron had an unmodified pig for the heart.

The similar things in the story is that were all really desperate for the pig transplant. At the end, they both chose to have a dead pigs heart to continue living. They had a serious effect on their heart in a very sudden moment.

Beth
        Participant

Fab ideas Stacy, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      sally
      Participant

Hi Beth  here is my home work

The man who changed his heart heart with a pig heart name was called Bennett the surgery was done in September 20 at UMMC but after getting a pig heart he only survived for 2 months he died of sudden heart failure

And for what are they similar by is that they both did a heart translate

Beth
        Participant

A good start Sally, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 8

In today’s lesson we continued our work on Pig Heart Boy, thinking about the characters in the novel and how we could infer important information about them and use this to work creatively with Malorie Blackman’s novel. We began by thinking of ways of ‘getting to know’ a fictional character through writing. We then moved on to continuing a conversation between Marlon and Cameron using our inference skills before completing a hot-seating exercise to get to the bottom of a particular character’s personality and motivations. Finally the class wrote a creative writing piece based on a character of their choice analysing how they would act in a strange situation and using everything they had learned from the text to help them. Wonderful work today everyone- particularly in the hot-seating where you all came up with incredible questions and made some great inferences. Keep up the great work 🙂

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

*Summary for Lesson 8

Julia
      Participant

Hi Beth

Thanks for wonderful lesson you prepared!

Here’s my HM

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ZXj_HoAyptfpCqkIfY40BLQXXMZLgbdKXJ160IwY0Fk/edit?usp=sharing

Beth
        Participant

Really incredible work Julia, well done! Your illustrations are beautifully drawn and I absolutely love the idea of putting it into slideshow mode to make it play out almost like a film. You’ve picked a fantastic array of scenes to sketch out and have communicated the emotions involved in this part of the story really well too, especially with your cliff-hanger before the reveal about his grandmother’s death. This is such a vibrant, creative and captivating piece of work that uses artwork wonderfully to tell this story, incredible work well done 🙂

Grammar:

*Cameron’s heart suffers the consequences

Ryan
      Participant

This is a rewrite of lesson 4.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Fab work Ryan well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Emili
      Participant

Hi Beth,

here is my homework

thanks

emily

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Stunning work Emily, well done! Your illustrations are really vivid, eye-catching and fantastically drawn and I loved your choice of image for each box, showing off lots of different sides to the story. You have used a wonderful combination of captions and speech bubbles to tell the story and give the storyboard a sense of life and vibrancy too. You have chosen some important moments to depict and left the reader with a lovely sense of closure in your final frame, showing Cameron’s return to normality. Excellent work that is a treat to look at- well done 🙂

Grammar:

*parts of his heart were dying

*a year 

stacy chen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is my homework for this week

It was really fun,

Stacy

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

I’m so glad you enjoyed!

Wonderful work Stacy, well done! You have broken down the four into four crucial moments and have then drawn these really well, focusing on what information the reader might want to help them picture Cameron’s journey through the story vividly. Your captions are great, summing up the key parts of the plot and showing the reader the story arc of this book. Also, fantastic use of colour to catch the reader’s eye! Super and creative story-board drawing well done 🙂

EmilyH
      Participant

This is my homework, (my drawing is bad) if you can’t read my handwriting tell me and I’ll send you it in text.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Brilliant work here Emily, well done! Your drawing is really great, I think you’ve presented these scenes beautifully and conveyed the emotions of the characters particularly well, especially in that final drawing of Cameron in hospital where he seems so unnerved by the news he has received. You have chosen some really key moments in the story to use and I really liked your use of speech bubbles to give this a sense of life and vividness. Really creative and wonderful work well done 🙂

Grammar:

Remember to keep your tenses consistent (here you go between present i.e., Marlon betrays, and past i.e., Cameron accepted the pig heart). If you start in past, make sure you stick to past tense throughout

Ivy
      Participant

Hi Beth,
      Here is Ivy’s homework.

Attachments:
      Ivy
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is Ivy’s homework.

Thanks for support 🙂

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Some lovely ideas here Ivy, well done! You have picked key moments from the plot really nicely to help us trace the final arc of the story and have also summarised what happens using your own words in a way that is clear and focused on the emotional impact of the end of the story. You have structured your answer really nicely, showcasing three key scenes to the reader in three separate paragraphs (could you use pictures to illustrate this too in a story-board structure?). Overall nice work well done 🙂

sally
      Participant

Hi Beth this is my homework (not really pretty)

from sally

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Brilliant work Sally, well done! I really liked your use of PowerPoint which works beautifully here to create a sense of movement and tension to your storyboard. Your drawings are fantastic and you have used captions, speech bubbles and titles really well to help us imagine the scene playing out in front of us. Great idea to focus on the emotions of all the characters involved, and you have presented the final events of the story in a really clear and compelling way. Wonderful work well done 🙂

Grammar & spelling:

*got his pig heart transplant he started not feeling

*people came over to his house

*Cameron

*wouldn’t

* eat he had been locking himself in the room

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 9

In today’s lesson we concluded our work on Pig Heart Boy by Malorie Blackman, thinking about the issues and ideas we had not yet touched on in reference to the novel. We began by thinking about the ending of the book- discussing whether it satisfied the students’ curiosity and then discussing and mapping out alternative endings. We then moved on to thinking about the theme of animal rights and what it can tell us about morality. Finally we thought about Cameron’s decisions and emotions near the end of the story and worked out what this could tell us about how we should all live life. Lovely work today class, well done for all your focus and creative ideas throughout. Keep up the fantastic work and see you next week 🙂

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Ryan
      Participant

Homework for L3.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Brilliant work Ryan, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Jasmine
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thank for the incredible lesson. There is my homework.

Jasmine

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

You’re so welcome Jasmine, amazing work this week well done 🙂

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

DAILY NEWS

PIG HEART BOY’S SECOND TRANSPLANT!

This is really breaking news! Cameron Kelsey refuses his second heart transplant! Cameron Kelsey, the pig heart boy is getting a second heart transplant after his body started rejecting his pig heart! His best friend Marlon saves his life when he was drowning in the pool, he gets a request for a new heart transplant! Maybe another animal or human heart instead of a pigs heart, Dr Bryce had recommended to Cameron.
      But, Cameron Kelsey refused the offer, how tragic! He said that he didn’t want to have that much attention to him.
      I mean if I was him, I would say the same thing but him refusing to even live, that’s just surprising to me.
      Cameron Kelsey is now is at home after refusing the second heart transplant, I’ve even heard that Cameron’s grandmother died! I have heard that Cameron tried to touch the bottom of the pool after the transplant, that’s why he was requested the second heart transplant! Some say that he tried suicide, but that’s just nonsense!

Beth
        Participant

Wonderful work Emily well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Julia
      Participant
        Beth
        Participant

Marvellous work Julia well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Emili
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is my homework for this week

thank you,

emily

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Superb work Emily well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Ivy
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is Ivy’s homework for this week

thank for the support

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Fab work Ivy well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary of Lesson 10

In today’s lesson we began studying Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help plan and write the paragraphs assigned for homework. The powerpoint contains loads of information on the context of Oliver Twist, thinking about how the backdrop of Victorian England, ideas on social class, the workhouse and Victorian attitudes towards children have influenced the themes in the book, whilst also considering how we can connect the plot of the book to Dickens’ own experiences in childhood. We also discussed ideas around social class and the way Dickens plays with our assumptions about particular characters in order to make a greater political point about Victorian inequality. The powerpoint also contains a model example paragraph on the theme of poverty in the book which the students should use to help them with using quotations in their homework. Great work today everyone, particularly when thinking about the role of class in this story and how unfair Victorian inequality was. Keep up the wonderful work well done 🙂

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Jasmine
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the amazing lesson. I enjoy it very much

There is my HW

Jasmine

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

You are super welcome Jasmine- well done for your fab work this week 🙂

Attachments:
      Emili
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thank you for the great lesson again!
      Emily

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

You are so welcome Emily- well done for your wonderful work 🙂

Attachments:
      Julia
      Participant
        Beth
        Participant

You are super welcome Julia- well done for the excellent work 🙂

Attachments:
      Charlotte
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the wonderful lesson!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

You are very welcome Charlotte- fantastic work well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Ryan
      Participant

Oliver twist homework.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Excellent work Ryan well done 🙂

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

Question C:  What is the moral of Oliver Twist?

I think the moral of Oliver Twist is that never treat the poor badly, I think that it’s the moral because the poor were usually sent of to the workhouse and the poor are often stigmatised and considered less-than in society, and the story shows how Oliver’s life changed for the better when he was treated kindly by those around him.
      They are often forgotten and overlooked, and they are often treated harshly because of their lack of status and power.
      But just because they are poor, doesn’t mean they are not worthy of respect and kindness. The story reminds us not to judge a person based on their finances or social standing, but instead to see the value in every person.
      I also think that it’s the moral because some poor people are forced to go steal food and money in order to survive because the people think that the rich are nice and most of the poor aren’t.
      The moral of Oliver Twist is that you shouldn’t treat the poor badly, or they might end up dying of neglect. This is because the poor are often ignored by society, and they are more susceptible to disease and injury.

AmyZ
      Participant

Dear Beth:

Here attached my homework, please help to check, thank you so much.

Amy

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Wonderful work Amy well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary of Lesson 11

In today’s lesson we continued studying Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help plan and write the homework. The powerpoint contains loads of information on the themes of the novel, model P.E.E. paragraphs discussing how themes are explored in the book, ideas on narrative voice and perspective and our work on character analysis and inference. Fantastic work today, especially when hot-seating the Artful Dodger which you all did beautifully, digging into the complexities of his character. Keep up the great work and well done 🙂

Here is the link to an interesting document about the theme of crime in the novel. Give it a read if you have time for some more information about the history and themes behind Oliver Twist: https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/english/AQA-7716-7717-TO-CRIME-OT.PDF

Homework

hwmrk

Attachments:
      Emili
      Participant

Hi Beth,

here is my homework for this week.

thank you,  emily

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Gorgeous work Emily, well done! 🙂

Attachments:
      Julia
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the wonderful lesson! Here’s my HM

Julia

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1S_eEqNnE-kSE3j-D4gds9zRfz0zfi-kJ9uxgdLGadVc/edit?usp=sharing

Beth
        Participant

You are so welcome! Magnificent work Julia well done 🙂

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

This is for last weeks homework:

Question C: What’s the moral of Oliver Twist?
      I think the moral of Oliver Twist is to never look down on the poor because you’ll never know what someone has been through, it could’ve been that they had a raw youth unless they directly tell you in person. It teaches us to treat different people the same as you treat yourself. The poor were always treated incompetently and were usually sent to to the workhouse to work. Some poorly people were forced into robbing and pickpocketing other individuals to eat and survive this savage world. Just because people are poor doesn’t mean they’re bad person, but that was what they thought back then. The poor were always sent to the workhouse, some turned into robbers.
      People thought that people that were poor were gods doing to tell them that they’re bad, which is not true.
      I think the moral of Oliver Twist is to never look down on the poor and treat them fairly because the poor were treated deficiently and unfairly by others who had a higher rank than them, they were often thrown into the workhouse to usually starve for the amount of food they’re given and the amount of work they do.

Beth
        Participant

Fab thank you Emily- I will put your feedback with your other homework below 🙂

Ivy
      Participant

Hi Beth,

here is Ivy’s  homework for this week.

thanks for support

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Amazing work Ivy well done 🙂

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

Dear diary,

Today, I had seen a boy that was brave enough to come up to me and ask for more gruel!
      So that’s why I thrashed him on the head with a ladle and shouted at him. I was genuinely surprised that he actually asked me, but I was enraged by this, so I turned to Mr Bumble and informed him about that orphan boy.He locked that boy named Oliver up in a dark confined room for his punishment . Mr. Bumble   then told the Board of Directors, I’ve heard that the boy Oliver was set to be sold off for five pounds.

Beth
        Participant

Fabulous work Emily well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 12

In today’s lesson we completed our study of Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help plan and write the paragraphs assigned for homework. The powerpoint contains our work on character analysis, using both skills of inference and close textual analysis to find evidence for opinions formed on this basis, along with our ideas on the importance of villainy and villains in the novel and our thoughts on whether the book has a nuanced or more black and white view of morality. We had a really interesting discussion on whether Oliver was a passive or active protagonist and how Nancy is a tragic character in the novel. Really good work today class, you all shared beautifully throughout our lesson together and thought of some fantastic ideas on tragedy and Nancy’s role in particular. It has been wonderful working with you all, keep up the brilliant job and see you next course 🙂

Tragedy video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBvVD08_0hU

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Emili
      Participant

Hey Beth,

Thank you for the amazing course,

Thank you again, Emily Pang

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

You are more than welcome Emily, I am very glad you enjoyed it!

Superb work well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Jasmine
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thank you for the amazing course. It has been so enjoyable!

I have both my HW for this week and last week.

Jasmine

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

I am so happy you enjoyed it Jasmine, you are very welcome.

Exquisite work on these two pieces of homework, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Julia
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the wonderful lessons! Here’s my HM

Julia

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KvROb8fF0b8448TKWkCxuhSspV_CBkLnewKOrJCYZz0/edit?usp=sharing

Beth
        Participant

You are more than welcome Julia- I am very happy you liked them!

Wonderful work well done 🙂

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

This is for question B: Does Dickens believe that money can buy happiness?

No, I don’t think Dickens think that money can buy happiness because he thinks that money can determine on the persons destiny not merriment. He was once poor too, he was sent to a factory to work while his father was in prison because of debts. I think that Charles doesn’t think that money can’t buy happiness, even though he was one of the most richest writers he still had a poor beginning. He said that money could bring misery instead of happiness.
      Even though he had a rough childhood, but he wanted to write books and wealth didn’t matter that much to him, he wrote books because he licked to write books not for wealth. He writes the books because he likes writing them which brings him happiness not the money he earns from writing these masterpieces.
      He gets his happiness from his writing and work that he had put in, the money is just extra.
      I think that Charles Dickens don’t think that money can buy happiness because he gets his happiness from writing not from the money he earns after publishing it for the public to enjoy.

Beth
        Participant

Marvellous work Emily well done 🙂

Attachments:
Viewing 104 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar