Forums 2023 Autumn Courses Reading-Year567-Mon

Viewing 146 reply threads
  • Author
      VMWEdu
      Keymaster
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 1

In today’s class we began our work on The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy thinking about the background of the novel and how Douglas Adams uses humour and genre. We started by discussing what we thought about the book before thinking about the genres utilised in the novel, digging deep into the concept of comedy and satire. The class then used this to come up with their own creative satirical ideas and Adams’ inspired characters. Really creative work today everyone- well done! It was a pleasure to discuss this book with you, amazing work and see you next week 🙂

Video we watched: https://www.pbslearningmedia.org/resource/hitchhiker-tgar/hitchhiker-tgar/

Article for homework extension: https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2009/oct/12/hitchhikers-guide-to-the-galaxy-douglas-adams

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
        Beth
        Participant

Hey everyone- for some reason that PDF is only the first six slides of the PowerPoint so use this one instead 🙂

Attachments:
      sally
      Participant

Hi beth This is ally’s homework

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 2

In today’s lesson we continued our study of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which can be used to revise the lesson and also contains the thinking prompts they should consider for homework. The powerpoint contains all our work on the themes of the novel, our ideas on the rules of the universe Adams creates, the prompts the class used to create their own absurd Hitchhiker-esque rules, and our thoughts on absurdism and how it governs the world of the novel. Everyone worked really well today, the students were super creative and excited throughout and came up with some amazing and imaginative ideas. Well done everyone, keep up the wonderful work! 🙂

Here’s the link to the audiobook: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm_EjZnCvrk

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      michaelP
      Participant

Hi Beth

here is my home work

Attachments:
      Shangchen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please find my homework attached.

Thank you!

Shangchen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Wonderful work Shangchen- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Melvin
      Participant

Hi Beth,

this is my homework for the week. Thanks.

Melvin

The narrator characterizes the Earth as a simple, small thing, easily destroyed and incompatible because the Vogons destroyed Earth in two minutes but at the end of the story Earth turned out to be a supercomputer! Arthur Dent loves the Earth with his heart, Ford thinks that it’s ok, Zaphod thinks that Earth is strange, partly because he was from a different planet, and Trillian thinks that it’s ok too. The Earth is important because it would be less funny without it and  How else would Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect get into space.

Beth
        Participant

Amazing work Melvin- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Lucas C
      Participant

Hello Beth! This is my homework:

The narrator describes Earth as destroyable because the Vogons managed to destroy Earth to make a road.  The main characters are: Arthur Dent, Ford Prefect, Zaphod and Trillian. Arthur loves the Earth and keeps on thinking about things that happened when he was on Earth and what happened to his family and things like that when Earth was destroyed. Ford also liked Earth a bit. I think Zaphod didn’t really like Earth that much, and I think Trillian liked Earth, but not much. They shouldn’t have destroyed Earth because you can get food and water there, unless aliens have different kinds of food and water. Also, there was life on that planet and there isn’t on any of planets, unless they are aliens.

Beth
        Participant

Fab work Lucas- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Yunshu
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please find my homework attached, thanks for the lesson.

kind regards,

Yunshu

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Outstanding work Yunshu- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Ren
      Participant

Hi! Here’s my homework(I learnt how to put it in a file).

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Fab work Haodi- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Jimmy
      Participant

I think the narater discribes the earth as a simple planet and could be destroyded almost by everything. The main 5 charecters are Arther Dent, Ford Perfect, Zaphod Beeblewax and Trillain. Arther likes earth since it’s where he lived in the rest of his life. Ford thinks earth is a pretty nice too put not as Arther since he is an alien. Trillain thinks the same as Ford but likes it more but still not as much with Arther  because aerth has water and food and good oxygen .But Zaphod thinks earth is a boring, old planet and thinks there are much more places to explore.

Beth
        Participant

Some nice work Jimmy- well done 🙂

Attachments:

Hi Beth,

Thank you for the lesson, here is my homework.

Thank you,

Jessie

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Amazing work Jessie- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Jin
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the lesson, my homework is attached

Jing

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Lovely work Jin- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Ivy
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Ivy’s  homework is attached

Ivy

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Fab work Ivy- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

I think the world viewed by Arthur Dent is that…

Almost every day is the same, only the days the bulldozers were about to push over his house.
      oh, just getting up wash his face eat breakfast is his every day morning routine never changes his clothes so he’s always wearing pajamas even when he went to the bar with Ford.
      The earth viewed by Ford is that the first time Ford went to earth for the first time he thought cars was the the leaders so he named himself Ford Prefect just because of that. Ford knew what time the earth was about to explode and he didn’t care that much he only told Arthur to come with home to a bar.
      The earth viewed by Trillian is that she was living on the earth and she probably would’ve stayed there until she got picked up by Zaphod to space, so her relationship to the earth is actually pretty good. She didn’t even believe it in the first place when she heard the earth was destroyed.
      Zaphod’s view to the world is that he only cared about fame and stuff like that he can be happy as long as the people on the world knows him and loves him. He doesn’t really care that much about the world like I said he only cares about fame, His views to the world is ‘as long as everybody knows me and likes me it’s no big of a deal’

Beth
        Participant

Wonderful work Emily- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Melanie
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is my homework from week 2,

Have a nice week.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Some lovely thoughts Melanie- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Charlotte
      Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Hi Beth</p>
      <p style=”text-align: left;”>thanks for the wonderful lesson</p>
      <p style=”text-align: left;”>The narrator describes the earth as easily harmed or even demolished into tiny pieces just like what the Vogons did. But he also wanted the earth to be important, because he wanted the reader to have a surprise. Arthur would do anything for his home planet. While Zaphod on the other hand doesn’t really care about it all (mainly/completely because he doesn’t know the place well and because he is from a completely different place). Ford thinks that it’s a great place (because his best friend is there and because he lives there). Trillian loves it ten times more than Arthur (because the news that the earth vanished suddenly was heartbreaking).</p>

Charlotte
        Participant

sorry got it wrong

The narrator describes the earth as easily harmed or even demolished into tiny pieces just like what the Vogons did. But he also wanted the earth to be important, because he wanted the reader to have a surprise. Arthur would do anything for his home planet. While Zaphod on the other hand doesn’t really care about it all (mainly/completely because he doesn’t know the place well and because he is from a completely different place). Ford thinks that it’s a great place (because his best friend is there and because he lives there). Trillian loves it ten times more than Arthur (because .the news that it vanished suddenly was heartbreaking).

Beth
          Participant

Super work Charlotte- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      leyan
      Participant

Dear Beth,

This is my homework

Thanks for the lesson.

In my opinion, the extra-terrestrial life beings don’t care about Earth. They see it as another simple planet that can be easily destroyed for a bypass. It takes the role of a trivial matter, easily destroyed and tiny.Vogons see Earth as a simple planet, not caring about the humans living on it, and instead destroying it for a bypass.

Arthur Dent likes Earth very much, as he has lived here himself. Unlike the Vogons who didn’t care about Earth’s inhabitants, Arthur kept thinking about what happened to his family.

Ford sees Earth nearly as comfortably as Arthur because he has been trapped on the planet for 15 years. Since he is an alien hitchhiker, he doesn’t love Earth as much as Arthur, who has stayed there his entire life.

Zaphod doesn’t care about the planet because he is from a different place, and didn’t know Earth all that well.

The Earth, viewed by Trillian, was pretty good as she was picked up by Zaphod and came from Earth. Furthermore, the book suggests it that she didn’t believe it at all when she heard the news of the Earth being demolished.

Beth
        Participant

Great work Leyan- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Yangyang
      Participant

hw below:

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Some fab work Yangyang- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Yangyang
      Participant

sorry that it is late

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 3

In today’s lesson we completed our study of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which can be used to help write the paragraphs assigned for homework. The powerpoint contains all our work on the philosophical background of the novel, thinking about the meaning of the number 42 and what Adams is saying about the human drive for meaning. It also contains the students’ work on literary archetypes, thinking about where they can identify these in the novel, their thoughts on different types of humour in the novel, and finally the prompt for their work on Vogon poetry. Fab and creative work today class- your poems were great and I loved your ideas on sarcasm and puns too. Keep up the great work, remember next week we start The Machine Gunners. See you then 🙂

Character archetypes resource if you’d like to learn more: https://blog.reedsy.com/12-common-character-archetypes-every-writer-should-already-know/

Vogon poetry generator: http://spaceinvaders.epizy.com/vogon.html

Clip from the film we watched on the number 42: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZLtcTZP2js

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      michaelP
      Participant

hi beth here is my homework

i misspelt vorgon

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Lovely work Michael- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Shangchen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is my homework attached.

Thank you!

Shangchen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Incredible work Shangchen- well done! 🙂

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

I think Authur Dent was a good choice for the main character because he was set as a normal man that had a extremely normal life which was pretty boring if I had to say but he was set to a big adventure. The reason he was picked is because, he was a totally boring guy and it would be very surprising if he went on adventures in space.
      He wasn’t that worried about the earth because he thought everyday was the almost the exact same so the chances for him to go on an adventure will be very low and that makes the reader think, ‘what’s going to happen? Is he going to do something crazy?’ So that’s one of the reasons Auther was a good choice for the main character.
      Authur was a good choice for the main character because he was kind of funny and was the kind that when there’s danger he starts to panic and that kind of make the reader either exited or they will start to panic too. Authur plus all the other characters he does actually make a good main character because he made us laugh by wearing his pajamas for the whole movie and that was kind of hilarious if I had to say.

Beth
        Participant

Lovely work Emily- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Yunshu
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thanks for the amazing lessons on The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. I really enjoyed it. Here is my homework attached- I did the Vogon poetry one. It’s not that long by the way.

Kind Regards,

Yunshu

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

You’ve very welcome- so glad you enjoyed it!

Exceptional work Yunshu- really well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Melvin
      Participant

Dear Beth,

This is my homework for this week.Thanks.

Arthur Dent is a good protagonist because he is one of those people who mostly always has a terrible day where nothing works out for them. One of these cases is when Authur wanted a normal, casual Thursday morning but it turns out that his house gets bulldozed and then the whole earth gets demolished!  He doesn’t have a goal in the story and that matches the theme-wacky, weird and absurd-perfectly.

Beth
        Participant

Some fab work Melvin- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Jin
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the lesson, my homework is attached down below.

Jin
      Participant

Sorry this is my homework

Jin
      Participant

here

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hey Jin- this is just Douglas Adams’ Vogon poem from the book- remember the homework was to write your own Vogon poem. Let me know if you want to re-submit at all! 🙂

Jimmy
      Participant

Dear Beth,

here is my homework,thanks.

I think Arther Dent is a good protagonist because he is one of the funniest, cleverest , and bravest charecters. However, he does have terrible luck. First, his house gets destroyed by a bulldozer which is bad enough, but then, the earth gets destroyed. I although relised in this book , Arthur does not have an objective (except if he wanted the earth and his house back).

Beth
        Participant

Lovely ideas Jimmy- well done! I love your listing of three of Arthur’s key attributes- he is funny, clever and brace- and think that the way you’ve contrasted this with his bad luck is very effective. You have shown how Arthur’s unluckiness kicks the plot into motion and also creates a sense of humour in the story- fab work. The point about Arthur having no objective is interesting- I would love to see you expand this point a little more and explain what makes you think this, if there is a particular scene that stands out to back this idea up etc. Overall some great ideas well done 🙂

Beth
        Participant

Spelling:

*Arthur

*realised

Lucas C
      Participant

Hello Beth!

Here is my peotry:

The friendly sky marvel at its big slime depths. Tell me, Luke do you wonder why the sleepy ignores you? Why its foobly stare  makes you feel booger. I can tell you, it is worried by your hedenertened facial growth that looks like a pool. What’s more, it knows your vegetables potting shed smells of poo. Everything under the big friendly sky asks why, why do you even bother? You only charm a blob fish.

Beth
        Participant

Amazing poetry Lucas- well done! You’ve used some excellently gruesome imagery and I love the use of nonsense words such as ‘foobly’ and ‘hedenertened’ throughout. Fantastic use of rhetorical questions, the simile ‘looks like a pool’ and a really good choice of words to create the same kinds of mental pictures that the Vogons do with their poetry. To make this even better, could you include some more harsh word sounds such as the word “blurglecruncheon” in the original poem? Overall excellent work well done 🙂

Ren
      Participant

Hi!

This is Haodi’s homework😁

Attachments:
      Ren
      Participant

Hi!

This is Haodi’s homework😁

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Some fantastic work here Haodi- well done! I love your point that it is necessary for Arthur to be human for the story to work and I really like the idea that Arthur as the protagonist is very tied up with the inciting incident of the story- the destruction of Earth. I definitely agree he adds humour to the plot too- could you give an example of where this happens in the story? To make this even better, I would love to see a couple of examples to back up your thoughts and just make your answer a little bit more detailed. Overall lovely work well done 🙂

Johnny
      Participant

Dear Beth,

I’ve written some vile Vogon poems (something I hope they approve) below.

NOTE: spelling mistakes are intentional

Doubting your failure.

I wish you were here to skunk

Tell me why madness had made you funk.

Gorging on your hand

and your squiggleburt be shall you.

Nothing a moddlesume

being can do.

See if you fail.

A simble insult

Say you were slime

You only pleasing yourself

Your out of date milk’s less stale

than your language.

Say I were to meet your frog,

Aiming to trample its finger

with my wigglesquirt

and my herd of bull-dozers.

See is survival is possible.

JUST A RANDOM VILE VOID OF A POEM

empty

just empty,

as you will be empty at the end

empty minded and headed

empty feelings

from empty poetry.

Empty your empty brain and empty empty, the word.

empty.

See you next lesson,

Johnny

Beth
        Participant

Really excellent work Johnny- very well done! Your language here is beautifully grotesque and draws on some really incredible Vogon imagery. I absolutely love the line “Your out of date milk’s less stale/ than your language”- what a creative and evocative image! I love how every poem has a different stylistic focus- fantastic use of rhyme in the first poem, really interesting repetition in the third and excellent sense of rhythm in the second. The titles of your poems are enigmatic and intriguing and you’ve made up some wonderful nonsense words such as “moddlesume”. Really sophisticated work Johnny- I have no notes on this, I think they work perfectly together and are expertly written with the Hitchhiker’s universe in mind and a sharp control of the language. Amazing work, well done 🙂

P.S. I think the Vogons absolutely would approve!

Thank you Beth for the wonderful lesson, my homework is attached below.

I can’t wait for Machine Gunners!!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

You’ve very welcome- I am so glad you enjoyed!

Incredible work Jessie- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Charlotte
      Participant

Thanks for the lesson

sorry for being late

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Wonderful work Charlotte- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Melanie
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is my Vogon poem,

Have a nice week.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Gorgeous work Melanie- well done! 🙂

Attachments:
      Ivy
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is Ivy’s homework

Thank you  🙂

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Amazing work Ivy- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Yangyang
      Participant

hw:

Yangyang
      Participant

sry hw is here

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Wonderful work Yangyang- well done! I love your idea about the fact that Arthur being a human is crucial to the plot- both because he mirrors our own point of view as the reader, and also because he has to go through such a terrible thing at the beginning of the book that everything after that pales in comparison- great idea! His relationship with Ford is also definitely a really important part of his role in the story which you’ve written about fantastically. To make this even better, could you re-clarify your final point about the protagonist not being Arthur Dent because the book is fictional, I wasn’t entirely sure what that part meant as books with protagonists are often fictional. Overall some fab work well done 🙂

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 4

In today’s class we began our work on our next book The Machine Gunners. Today’s lesson focused on the history behind the book, particularly considering the context of the Home Front in Britain during the war. The class started with sharing some ideas about things they enjoyed and didn’t enjoy in the novel, before moving on to sharing ideas about WWII and its importance to the backdrop of the story. We learned about the Battle of Britain, thought about its influence on the characters and discussed in detail what it would have been like to live through this period. The class asked lots of really thoughtful questions and spoke in depth about the Second World War and the ways in which it changed people’s lives. Amazing work today class, well done and see you next week 🙂

Battle of Britain summary video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D37-Xx58LUo

Homework

hwmrk

Attachments:
      Lucas C
      Participant

Hello Beth! This is my homework:

I think the part when Chas took the gun off is important because Chas could use the gun and sell it to make a fortune, or use the gun to defend himself if he is about to get captured by Germans. He could also use the gun to practice his aim to defend himself or make a turret with the gun.

I hope to see you next week!

Lucas

Beth
        Participant

Some really nice ideas here Lucas- great work! You have highlighted an important moment in the book where things seem to change for Chas and that marks a crucial moment in his character development. I like that you’ve thought of different ways in which Chas could have used this moment and that you’ve dug into his possible motivations too- fab work! Just be careful to make sure you’re answering the question, a theme isn’t a moment in the book but a big idea that the book explores i.e., courage, friendship, war. So you could say this moment you’re talking about here explores the theme of war and how it forces children to make big, adult decisions. Overall some lovely ideas well done 🙂

michaelP
      Participant

hi beth here is my home work

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Fab work Michael- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Shangchen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thank you for the wonderful lesson!😊

Shangchen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Fantastic work Shangchen well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Melvin
      Participant

Hi Beth

This is my homework for the week. Thanks. By the way I love the book “the machine gunners” 🙂

Melvin

I think that the theme rebellion is very important because the whole story is about children stealing stuff without their parents knowing. Also in real life, world war 2 made children mad and rebel because they had to make a swift change from easy children stuff/work to adult stuff/work.Chas Mcgill was really good at stealing/rebelling because he stole/made a rebellion without the Home Guard or the Police knowing.

Beth
        Participant

Brilliant ideas Melvin- well done! I love your choice of theme and think the examples you have chosen illustrate your ideas beautifully. The idea that WW2 made children rebel is a very compelling one since they were forced to grow up very quickly and found their lives destabilized & I think the link between their rebellion and stealing is very interesting. You’ve also used Chas as a great focal point for this theme as he is one of the characters who rebels the most against the authorities- great work! To make this even better, could you use a quote from the book to show where this theme is explored? Also just remember your capital letters in World War II and Chas McGill. Overall amazing work well done 🙂

Emili
      Participant

Hi Beth,

A lovely start to the book,

here’s my homework

thank you

Emily Pang

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Super work Emily- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Ren
      Participant

Hi! Thanks for the excellent lesson.

This is my homework.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Some great work Haodi- well done 🙂

Attachments:

Hi Beth,

Thank you for the wonderful lesson, I’m really enjoyed Machine Gunners!

See you soon,

Jessie

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Stellar work Jessie- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Jin
      Participant

Dear Beth,

This is my homework

1) The Consequences of violence: Westall explores the consequences of violence through the experiences of the children in the novel. The children initially see the machine gun as a toy and use it to play war games, but they soon realise the seriousness of their actions when they capture a German gunner. The novel shows how violence can have serious and long lasting consequences, including children.

2) The role of children in conflict: The machine gunners raise important questions about the role of children in conflict.  The children in the novel are forced to grow up quickly and make difficult moral decisions. Westall explores the idea that children are often caught up in conflicts that they do not fully understand and that they are often the ones who suffer the most

3) The morality of war: The machine gunners explore the morality of war through the experiences of the children. The novel raises important ethical questions about the nature of war, including whether there are limits to what can be done in the name of war. Westall shows how war can bring out both the best and worst in people and how it can challenge our moral beliefs.

EmilyH
      Participant

I think the most important theme of the book is overcoming fear and teamwork because the friends went to a crashed German bombing plane and found a machine gun they even decided to take it with them that’s dangerous! That’s overcoming the fear to take a huge machine gun with 2000 amo back and hide it.  When they got the gun free they had to get it back home but with all of that out side it was hard so teamwork is one of the themes.

I think Westall explores overcoming fear by when you do something that’s dangerous like when Chas and the friends decided to cut free the machine gun and take it home to hide it. I think Westall explores teamwork by when you do something with each over and accomplishing the task like when they used it when getting it back and hiding it.
      I also think Westall explores resilience as when you never give up and think you can do it like in the book it says carry a huge machine gun that’s dangerous home how did they do that? They didn’t stop and kept running even when a dog found them and Fatty Hardy kind of knew where they were.

Beth
        Participant

Wonderful work Emily- well done! I love how you have combined these themes in such an interesting way, noting moments in the book where the themes shine through. Your ideas about the way in which overcoming fear and teamwork match up are really interesting, putting a great spin on the way their friendships revolve around rebellion and acting out. I also really like that you’ve thought about their resilience in the face of danger with examples from the book too- this is great stuff! To make this even better, could you think about what Westall is telling us specifically about these themes, what message he is sending i.e., that wartime creates an environment where fear is everywhere, therefore they are forced to overcome it? Overall lovely writing well done 🙂

Yangyang
      Participant

hw

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Fab work Yangyang- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Ivy
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is Ivy’s work.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Lovely work Ivy- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 5

In today’s lesson we continued our work on The Machine Gunners, focusing on some character analysis and inference work. We began the class with a hot-seating exercise, designed to help the students get inside the author’s head, before moving on to some close textual analysis where they had to write P.E.E. or P.E.A.L. paragraphs that closely analysed a passage from the book about the character of Chas. We then compared these to an example answer, before the class spoke about particular characters in the book more broadly, debating the roles they play within the narrative and thinking about how they were surprised by certain characters. Lovely and lively work today everyone- well done for all your fab ideas. Keep up the great work and see you next time 🙂

Video we watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuO1CYsPf_M

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      michaelP
      Participant

hi beth here is my homework #

Attachments:
        michaelP
        Participant

hi beth you forgot to mark my homework

michaelP
          Participant

here is my homework improved

btw it says some of it was ai writen when i didn’t use ai

Attachments:
      Shangchen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is my lesson 5 homework

Thank you for the lovely lesson! 😀

Shangchen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

You’re super welcome- fab work today, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Melvin
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is my homework for the week. Thanks.

Melvin. 🙂

I think that Rudi is the shapeshifter archetype because when we first met him he listened to the children but near the end of the book he betrayed the children by telling the police what they had done. I think that Chas is the protagonist because the rest of the characters only come in some parts of the story. I think that all of the children in the book are rebels because they stole food, pongy sandbags and a machine gun ( well, not really stolen but you get the point ) and broke the law by doing that. Also, the other characters don’t really fit in the character archetypes I googled up.

Beth
        Participant

Lovely work Melvin- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Emili
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for another amazing lesson,

Here is my homework attached

Emili

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Wonderful work Emili- well done! 🙂

Attachments:
      Jimmy
      Participant

Hi Beth, here is my homework. Thanks.

I think that Chas made this book light up and I think he is the hero because he was the one that found the machine gun and he is one of the bravest. But I do think that all the children are heroes, but I still think that Chas is the bravest in the book. I also think that the person flying the plane (the thing is I don’t know his name) was helper or a savior since he helped the children mend the gun.

Beth
        Participant

Super work Jimmy- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Yunshu
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the lesson. Here is my homework attached, thank you 😀

Kind Regards,

Yunshu

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Magnificent work Yunshu- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Jin
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is my homework

Thanks a lot

Attachments:
      Jin
      Participant

Sorry i pressed on the wrong file,

here it is

I picked Chas McGill, he is a very smart 14 year old that lives in the north-east England and goes to a local high school. Chas McGill likes to collect war related stuff and is obsessed with the idea of capturing a German machine gun. Chas is a risk taker and is willing to to take precarious action to make his dreams come true. Chas’s role in the machine gunners is to drive the plot forwarde and provide a sense of excitement for the person who is reading it.

Beth
        Participant

No worries at all! Super work Jin, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Ren
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is Haodi’s homework(Sorry if it’s a bit late).

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Great work Haodi- well done 🙂

Attachments:

Hi Beth,

Thank you for the wonderful lesson.

See you on Monday,

Jessie

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

You’re very welcome! Shining work Jessie- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      leyan
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is my homework.

In my opinion, Chas McGill fulfills the role as the story’s hero. Living in World War II Britain, Chas McGill is determined to outdo his rival Boddser Brown in obtaining the ultimate war souvenir. When he finds a crashed German bomber in the woods complete with machine gun, however, he not only thinks how he can beat Boddser Brown, but he also thinks he can play a role in the war.

I feel Chas McGill is the hero of this story as he is basically risking his life. In the first part, he finds a bomb rack and now, he has found a machine gun. Instead of owning up and giving the machine gun to the police, he instead keeps it, and feels as if he has the duty to participate and use it against the Germans.

In conclusion, I feel that Chas McGill is the hero of the story as he was planning to use the guns against the Germans, using it for his country.

Beth
        Participant

Fabulous work Leyan- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      HelenX
      Participant

Audery is the spirited, audacious huntress because she was ‘as good as any boy’. She the reassuring, compassionate caregiver when she cares for Rudi, even though she is more of a huntress.                                         Boddser Brown, who 🤬 a lot, is definitely a villain because he tries to drown Chas. 

Beth
        Participant

Lovely work Helen- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Yangyang
      Participant

homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Some lovely work Yangyang- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

I think Audrey’s role is like the one that’s different to the other people that’s her gender because in the book it said that she wasn’t like the other girls, she wouldn’t gossip, climbed the trees just as good as the boys, It also says that Audrey can climb drainpipes as well as the boys and likes to fight other boys sometimes won. Audrey is the type of girl that’s wished she was a boy all the time and she was a complete opposite of the other girls in her grade.

I think Audrey’s archetype is between the hero archetype and the rebel archetype because like I said that Audrey is not like the other girls she is kind of brave, risk taking and she does have some strength in her body. Audrey does actually kind of change when it’s at the end of the book it’s kind of different from when the book started she changed through out the book.

I think the plot Audrey adds is that she isn’t like a normal girl like the others.
      She is a girl that kind of have a heart of a boy I mean she does want to be a boy all the time.
      The thing that Audrey adds to the plot is she completely opposite to the girls at her age.
      She is a brave girl and she’s probably the only girl in the entire book so shes very special.
      If Audrey was a normal girl she wouldn’t be like a important character in the story even though she’s the only girl.

Beth
        Participant

Fantastic work Emily- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Jin
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is my Homework,

I know it’s a bit early and you haven’t put it on yet but I know what it is,

Thank you for the lesson

Robert Westall portrays the children in the machine gunners, innocent and being affected from the war. They are engrossed of the machine gun and war related stuff (such as fighting), but they also have to go through the fear of they town being bombed. Another one is about the town of Garmouth where in the book, it is portrayed as the place that has been changed ever since the war happened. A lot has been destroyed like playgrounds for little kids to play in.

This shows that war can be affected for those who are not involved in fighting and shows the damages of the innocent civilians life.

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 6

In today’s class we completed our work on The Machine Gunners, working in both creative and analytical capacities to tie up our final thoughts on the novel. We began with the students creating their own characters to fulfill a particular role within the book, thinking about how they could look at the gaps in the novel and use those as inspiration. We then moved on to thinking about creative re-imaginings of the ending, which the class completed beautifully. Finally we spoke on a few points of debate to finish the class, summing up some ideas on the period. Everyone worked really well today and came up with some imaginative and wonderful ideas, sharing them throughout the class and thinking deeply about the ways in which their work fit around the book. Fab work everyone, well done for all your great ideas. See you next week 🙂

Homework

hmr

Attachments:
      Jin
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is my Homework,

My homework is also on top so I’ll post it again in case you didn’t see it

Thank you for the lesson

Robert Westall portrays the children in the machine gunners, innocent and being affected from the war. They are engrossed of the machine gun and war related stuff (such as fighting), but they also have to go through the fear of they town being bombed. Another one is about the town of Garmouth where in the book, it is portrayed as the place that has been changed ever since the war happened. A lot has been destroyed like playgrounds for little kids to play in.

This shows that war can be affected for those who are not involved in fighting and shows the damages of the innocent civilians life.

Beth
        Participant

Fab work Jin- well done! 🙂

Attachments:
      Shangchen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is my homework for lesson 3,

Thank you for the lesson, it was lovely! 😄

Shangchen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

You’re very welcome! Great work Shangchen, well done! 🙂

Attachments:
      Shangchen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is my homework for lesson 3,

Thank you for the lesson, it was lovely! 😄

Shangchen

Attachments:
      Emili
      Participant

hi Beth,

here is my homework

Thank you for the lovely lesson, have a nice day!

Robert Westall explores many different effects of war in the civilian life. In relation to the question, Robert Westall has used many different ways to expose the living crisis of civilians.

Using a passage from the story “food was hard to get these days”, we realise that war has probably affected the amount of food and how hard it is to get it. Also expenses must have risen.

As you see, in the book Machine Gunners, everything seemed so messy, planes crashing down, and boys and girls running wild. This would have put pressure on their mothers, since they had all the jobs and can’t look after their children on their own.

The fear of death must have also been quite hard, your father was away fighting and instead of worrying about his life, you’d much rather had to look out for your own.

A huge responsibility was taken on the civilians and maybe a little more than the men fighting in its own way. Not just their mothers and fathers had to work hard, the children had huge responsibilities too. Running errands, still going to school, and helping out all over the town.

Overall Robert Westall has expressed the point of the people’s hardships and huge weights on their back. It may seem hard being a man that time, but a civilian was just the same. Having a huge war that time and a massive rist of getting killed any minute was enough already.

Expenses were rising, including the tax and rent. If you didn’t’t have enough money when you came to pay the bills, your life would be as good as dead. It was hard being alive in that time, money was everything to you.

Beth
        Participant

You’re welcome! Excellent work Emili- well done! 🙂

Attachments:
      michaelP
      Participant

hi beth herr is my homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Lovely work Michael well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Yunshu
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here’s my homework. Thanks for the lesson.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Stunning work Yunshu- well done 🙂

Attachments:

Hi Beth,

Thank you for the lesson, I’ve really enjoyed reading the Machine Gunners and I’m excited to read our next book

Thank you,

Jessie

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

You’re very welcome! Exquisite work Jessie- well done! 🙂

Attachments:
      Yangyang
      Participant

This is my hw thanks for the lesson

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

You’re welcome! Fab work Yangyang- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Yangyang
      Participant

also sorry for doing the wrong homework last week😥

Beth
        Participant

No worries at all! 🙂

Ren
      Participant

Hi Beth,

sorry for making this late. I had a dance show today. Anyway, here’s my homework.

Attachments:
      Ren
      Participant

Hi Beth,

sorry for making this late. I had a dance show today. Anyway, here’s my homework.

Attachments:
      Ivy
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is Ivy’s homework.

Sorry, the last homework was posted in the wrong section.(Ivy’s dad did it , not Ivy )

Thanks for support.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

No worries at all! Fab work Ivy- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Charlotte
      Participant

Hi Beth!

Thanks for the wonderful lesson, and sorry for being very late.

Beth
        Participant

You’ve welcome! Super work Charlotte- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Charlotte
      Participant

Here is my homework

Charlotte
      Participant

Robert Westall makes the children the book more mature and affected from the war. Firstly, they are more mature, because even though they are only children they are handling things that they aren’t supposed to, for example the “machine gun”. Secondly, they are affected by the war, because they become extremely depressed when their (or their friends) homes and families are bombed.

Robert Westall also is telling us that WAR IS HORRIBLE don’t be in one and especially DON’T START ONE!!!

Beth
        Participant

Have posted your feedback under your post above 🙂

Jimmy
      Participant

Dear Beth,

her is my homework and sorry that I didn’t do it in time and that last week I didn’t do the homework.

Thanks.

Robert Westall makes the children in the book braver than usual and is very daring since they volunteered in the war and backed off a few people using the machine gun. Secondly, he makes the people in the book affected in the war like when they found the machine gun or when Nicky’s house got blown up by a few bombs. Robert Westall also is telling us all that war is not a nice thing.

Beth
        Participant

No worries at all Jimmy! Fab work today well done 🙂

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

Robbert Westall explores the effects of the war on the civilian population by first telling the reader that the men has went to the war and women had went to work, so the children will be left alone with themselves so the children would practically do whatever they want when they get out of school. He also explains how people and families had to wake up in the middle of the night to go hid in the shelter because the Germans was bombing in the sky.
      Robbert also said that there were lots of bombing lately so there must be a few people that got blown up, I still remember in the book it said a lady didn’t want to go to the shelter so when the bombing stopped they found out that it was a direct hit and half of her was in the front garden the other half was in the right across the house. That tells us a lot of people were killed in the war either by not going to the shelter, fighting in war or just got bombed in their sleep, that made the population go down a lot lately when people got bombed.
      Plus back then you only got a little bit of food eat for a week or so, or you could go to a black market but that’s kind of risky. Robbert says that the men were out to war so that was were lot of population that was from the city was killed.

Beth
        Participant

Great work Emily- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Lucas C
      Participant

Hello Beth! This is my homework!
      <p style=”text-align: left;”>Robert Westall shows the effects of the war on the civilian population by showing that the children are allowed to run around freely. Their mothers and fathers work hard but the children also work hard at school. I also remember a part in the story where Nicky’s  home was bombed and everyone thought the people in the house died but Nicky managed to survive and he surprised everyone. This shows that the population of people are going down either by being bombed or shot. Also, some people just don’t want to go down in the shelter when the bomb happens and then they get exploded like when that lady didn’t want to go in the shelter and she was bombed in half. In addition to this, the children are getting things that they aren’t supposed to get ( like Chas getting that gun).</p>
      Thanks for the lesson! See you next lesson!

Lucas C
      Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Robert Westall shows the effects of the war on the civilian population by showing that the children are allowed to run around freely. Their mothers and fathers work hard but the children also work hard at school. I also remember a part in the story where Nicky’s  home was bombed and everyone thought the people in the house died but Nicky managed to survive and he surprised everyone. This shows that the population of people are going down either by being bombed or shot. Also, some people just don’t want to go down in the shelter when the bomb happens and then they get exploded like when that lady didn’t want to go in the shelter and she was bombed in half. In addition to this, the children are getting things that they aren’t supposed to get ( like Chas getting that gun).</p>

Lucas C
      Participant

Robert Westall shows the effects of the war on the civilian population by showing that the children are allowed to run around freely. Their mothers and fathers work hard but the children also work hard at school. I also remember a part in the story where Nicky’s  home was bombed and everyone thought the people in the house died but Nicky managed to survive and he surprised everyone. This shows that the population of people are going down either by being bombed or shot. Also, some people just don’t want to go down in the shelter when the bomb happens and then they get exploded like when that lady didn’t want to go in the shelter and she was bombed in half. In addition to this, the children are getting things that they aren’t supposed to get ( like Chas getting that gun).

Beth
        Participant

Fab work Lucas, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      leyan
      Participant

Hello Beth thanks for the lesson

My homework is below.

Robert Westall shows the effect of the war on the civilian population by every time a house got bombed down, or a person got shot, the civilians would assume that they were dead. This shows the effect of war has made people pessimistic, only thinking of the worst possible result instead of thinking of a more hope-filled one. This is shown in the book when Nicky’s house was bombed down. Everybody presumed him dead, however, he survived the bomb. This shows that the civilians have gone pessimistic, instead of being hopeful.

Secondly, Robert Westall shows the effect of the war on the civilian population by showing that the population has gotten their hands on illegal weapons underage. This is first shown in the book when Chas gets his hand on the machine gun and the bomb rack he found at the beginning of the book.

Beth
        Participant

Fab work Leyan – well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 7

In today’s lesson we began our work on Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, focusing on uncovering the history and context behind this book. The students discussed the things they enjoyed and the things they did not, before moving on to consider the impact of the context of the American Civil War and 1860s gender roles on the plot of the novel. We concluded the lesson by discussing whether the book is a feminist one, and what message Alcott was sending to young women at the time. Fantastic ideas today class, well done for your lively discussions and your patience throughout today’s lesson. I’ll post the homework article as a PDF below and see you next week 🙂

Link for Part 2 of the book: https://etc.usf.edu/lit2go/36/little-women/431/part-2-chapter-24-gossip/

Here is the homework article: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/09/little-women-louisa-may-alcott/565754/

Video to watch on the Civil War: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKWrxZN5jmM&t=235s

Here is a helpful link that will tell you more about the author and background of the book: https://www.sparknotes.com/lit/littlewomen/context/

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 8

In today’s lesson we continued our study of Little Women, thinking about some of the key literary elements of the book such as the themes, motifs and symbols. We started by thinking about the significance of the preface of the novel, considering how the moral messaging functions in the book and looking at Louisa May Alcott’s reluctance to write a book that instructs women how to be in society. We spoke about the connection between burning and non-conformity in the book and finally the class wrote a beautiful review from the perspective of a 19th-century reader, carefully dissecting how someone from the 1800s would have felt about this novel and its characters. Great work today everyone, well done for all your fantastic ideas on themes & morals, see you next week 🙂

Video on the preface: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmCSF3lJYok

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Jin
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the lesson,

Here is my homework,

I would like to hear Marmees perspective, Marmee is quite the complex character in the little women with her own preferences , fears, and exasperation. Seeing this story from Marmees perspective would make or have readers to understand her motivations and feeling deeper. Marmee is a character who always continues and keeps persisting and who challenges many of the social standards of her time. Seeing this story from her perspective would not just have readers understand her motivations deeper but highlight the ways in which she pushes against these standards and the impact this has on her family and community. Marmee has some close relationships with every each of her daughters, as well as with her husband and other people or members in the community. Seeing the story from her perspective would provide a more distinctive view of these relationships she has to them and the challenges they face.
      Generally Speaking, seeing the story from Marmee’s perspective would add deeper depth and complexity to the novel, which would offer new insights into the characters and events in the book we read.

Beth
        Participant

Fab work Jin, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Shangchen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thank you for the lesson

Shangchen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Super work Shangchen, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Lucas C
      Participant

Hello Beth! Here is my homework:

I would like to hear Jo’s perspective because she could explain to us readers that girls and ladies can wear boy cloths and be boys. She could also tell us how it feels like to be a boy and she can tell use what chores she does. Maybe parents can use the ideas for modern times? She could also explain to us how to write better or give us ideas for our writing. She could also explain how she felt when her book was burnt or when she went out of the house for a reason like going to have a picnic. She could also describe the people she know and the places she know.

Thanks for the lesson!

P.S. If it wasn’t Jo who acted like a boy, then please let me know in your feedback. Thanks.

Beth
        Participant

Great work Lucas, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Melvin
      Participant

Hi Beth

this is my homework for this week. Thanks. 🙂

Melvin

I would have liked to hear the story from Marmee’s point of view because we barely hear from her apart from when she talks to the girls. If we hear the story from Marmee’s point of view, we could find out how she wants her girls to be in the future or how she always has good advice for the girls. It would change the story massively because most of the story is amongst the girls and Marmee barely knows anything that happens amongst them except what worries them and what advice to give them. It would almost feel like an entirely different story!

Beth
        Participant

Super work Melvin, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Emili
      Participant

Hi Beth,

A great lesson (by the way i’m Emily, not Emili)

Thank you

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Amazing Emily- well done!

Attachments:

Dear Beth,

Here is my homework. See you soon!

King regards,

Jessie

In Louisa May Alcott’s Little Women, the four different but linked sisters are the main emphasis in her novel. We see them grow up into young women, alongside Theodore (Laurie) Laurence, Mr Laurence’s grandson, a great friend of the March’s. Even though the novel is from a third person perspective, we can see that the majority of it is from Jo, “the man” of the family. We see her turning away from writing and eventually turning into a women, her life in New York, her writing, Professsor Bhaer and being a governess. All of this is talked about in great detail, let alone her times with Laurie.

We also see Amy going abroad with Flo and Aunt Carrol, her once self-centred personality changed, Beth, the young, kind-hearted lamb of the family growing up, taking care of her parents but falling tremendously sick and Meg’s growth in marriage with John Brooke. The only other main character that isn’t described in as much detail is Laurie. We know that he goes to university and graduates, as well as his later “incident” with Jo, being turned down. However, we don’t see into his eyes or his perspective on the March family, life and love. This is why I’d like to see the story told through his perspective.

Laurie is a charming, smart, but mischevious boy, and has a cheeky sense of humour despite being educated to be a gentleman. He is first introduced to the reader through Jo’s visit at his wealthy manison during his illness. We see that Jo is always eager to see Laurie, throughout the book, describing Laurie as her best friend and an interesting dear. As a reade, we know how Laurie is viewed, for example the sisters and Marmee have an overall opinion that Laurie is a dear but can be michevious and stubborn at times, but we don’t see Laurie’s opinion on the sisters. It would be nice to see how Laurie feels to each sister in great detail.

Then, after a many years close friendship, we see Laurie proposing to Jo but getting rejected. We see Jo struggling to explain, her sorrowness and frustration but we just get an overview of mixed emotions that Laurie feels. If this was written through Laurie’s perspective, his feelings and thoughts would be excessively written about in great detail. I’d also like to know about his life in university, whether he made trouble there and his little relationships. This would be covered if Laurie told the story.

This is why I’d like to hear Little Women written from the perspective of Laurie Laurence. It would be interesting on reading about how he finds life, university and the March family, as well as how he may see the same incidents a different way to the girls.

Beth
        Participant

Wonderful work Jessie, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Yangyang
      Participant

this is my homework below:

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Lovely work Yangyang, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      michaelP
      Participant

hi beth here is my homewotk

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Good work Michael- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Ren
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is my homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Lovely ideas Ren, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Jimmy
      Participant

Dear Beth,

here is my homework, thanks.

I would like to hear Marmee’s perspective since we rarely heard her in the story except when she is talking to the girls. She might have an interesting story or a strange and unbelievable one. The book might change almost completely because of this, or it changed a bit, or nothing happened apart that the story got a bit more interesting.

(Sorry I didn’t do it on time again)

Beth
        Participant

A good start Jimmy, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

I would like the novel to be told by Jo  because in the first book Jo was the girl that acted like a boy and speaks like a boy in the first part, I think she would give more emotion like when Amy burned her book, I think she would probably write, How could she do this! That took me several years to write and she just burned it because how I acted the day before! I was just overreacting! I could never forget this in my whole entire life!
      Jo would say more opinions to the girls if she was the one who told the story because she likes to be like a boy.
      Jo’s opinions would probably be, why do we have to act like this and the others don’t I’m going to be like the others instead I’m not going to act like this because of my gender!

I think it will change it by Jo being boyish and the book will be full of Jo’s opinion and emotions.
      Jo would probably change the whole book telling the reader how she feels like when she gets a little famous for writing romantic stories and printing them, once she even got 300 dollars!
      She would tell some of her thoughts on other people sometimes that will kind of change the book a little.

Beth
        Participant

Gorgeous work Emily, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Charlotte
      Participant

Hi Beth, my homework is below

thanks for the great lesson

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Lovely work Charlotte- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Ivy
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is Ivy’s homework.

Thank you.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Great work Ivy, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 9

In today’s lesson we completed our study of Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, focusing on creatively reinterpreting the text and discussing the characterisation in the novel. We opened by reading a Guardian article on how some of the feminism in the book is flawed. We looked at mirroring Alcott’s style when adding to character descriptions of the March sisters whilst using foreshadowing and symbolism to deepen the meaning of the passage. Finally, we looked at the notion of modernisation, with the class encouraged to imagine their own updated version of the book, particularly considering how gender roles and technology would function differently. Everyone worked superbly today- brilliant ideas and contributions throughout today everyone. See you next week 🙂

The article we read: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/dec/22/little-women-bbc-version

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

People like reading this book when they’re nothing like them and come from different backgrounds because the book’s main characters was women and if you want to find a book in the same year it’s almost always about men, it was kind of hard to find stories about women in that period of time.
      People find the book interesting because it says about how hard it is to be a woman or girl in that time of year. Little women and good wives are about a family of girls who had dreams when they were kids but in good wives they had to give up their dreams and become a wife to a man that wanted to get out of the house everyday, it makes the reader wonder why why would that happen to woman in that year?
      The readers like this book because it gets more interesting every second especially in the second book Good Wives because it says what it’s like to be a woman in that time.
      The people liked the book because it showed how little power women had they had to give up their dreams and become a wife to a man who doesn’t want to spend time with you.

Beth
        Participant

Wonderful work Emily, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Yangyang
      Participant

GL to everyone on their homework and hope to pass☺

Attachments:
        Yangyang
        Participant

uh i did wrong homework pls skip this one and go down |
        |
        V

Yangyang
        Participant

sry the arrow didnt work out 💀

Beth
          Participant

No worries, will mark the one below 🙂

Emili
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thank you for a great end to the book

Here is my homework,

Emily

Even though we live in a new,  modern society, doesn’t mean we can’t learn about other cultures.

Little woman is an old book dedicated to woman in the 19th century, not supposed to be us, but its popularity grew for a reason.

Little woman is a book that keeps us turning its pages, since the author seems to find a special way to really intrigue the reader.

The morals are good too, since they tell us a thing about not just girls growing up, but our lives too. It’s not just the normal morals that come in the usual stories that are like be kind. Instead they tell us something different.

The usual thing is that the story clashes with it’s meaning, like a obvious example of they book showing us that we can be who we want to be, but then Jo get punished for it and is forced to be who she doesn’t want to be.

This book is also good for making us feel a rage of different emotions all at once, some that maybe we haven’t experienced before.

Beth
        Participant

Superb work Emily, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Melvin
      Participant

Hi Beth,

this is my homework for the week. Thanks.

Melvin 🙂

People might want to read Little Women even though it is about girls growing up in the 1860s, new england because of two reasons:

Reading for fun
      Reading to learn about something

Well… reading for pleasure doesn’t need much explanation because they are reading the book at their will for entertainment. Not much info really. The reader could be reading to learn about lots of things:

How sexest the 1800s were (about girls)
      How the american civil war took effect on people
      How poor girls lived back then
      Some good advice of life (from Marmee)
      How poor the medicine was
      Girl’s life from 11 – womanhood in the 1860s

Beth
        Participant

Fab work Melvin, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Jimmy
      Participant

Hi Beth,

here is my homework, thanks.

People might want to read little women because it’s published in the 19th century. Most people only know much of the 21st and 20th century before reading about the 19th century. The book also starts in some already pretty good language and it also has a pretty eye catching and interesting title, I mean it’s not every book that has “Little ___” in it. Also, people might want to find out the conditions in the village since most people know that the Civil war was raging back then. They also might want to find out want kind of fashion was most popular in the 1960 The characters in the book are pretty interesting too for example Jo, she likes to act like a boy.

(___ means some other different words since I couldn’t think of any) .

Beth
        Participant

Great work Jimmy, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      michaelP
      Participant

hi beth here is my home work

michael

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Wonderful work Michael, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      michaelP
      Participant

hi beth here is

my home work

michael

Attachments:
      Yangyang
      Participant

30+ minutes and 40+ emotional damage: New homework! (finally)

Attachments:
        Yangyang
        Participant

Sorry for the inconvenience btw: I did a new homework😴 after 30+ minutes

Beth
          Participant

No worries! Super work Yangyang well done 🙂

Attachments:

Dear Beth,

Here is my homework. I’ve enjoyed reading Little Women and can’t wait to read A Light in Everything.

Thank you,

Jessie

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

I’m so glad you’ve enjoyed it Jessie! Phenomenal work today well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Ren
      Participant

Here’s Haodi’s homework

People still find the book interesting because many people in the 20th century wrote books about men. Well, that was until when people started to write about women. Alcott was one of them. She made the book Little Women. This was very interesting because It was a girl’s book, not a boy’s. That is why it is very interesting for everyone.

Beth
        Participant

Fab work Haodi, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Shangchen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is my homework.

Thank you for the lesson!

Shangchen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Fabulous work Shangchen, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Ivy
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is Ivy’s homework.

Thanks for support

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Amazing work Ivy, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Jin
      Participant

Dear Beth

Here is my homework,

Little Women is a novel that explores universal themes of family, love, and self improvement. Little Women’s universality is due to a variety of aspects. Little Women is a story about the love between the 4 sisters, which is a relatable and a craving theme for lots readers who read Little Women. The novel investigates the conflicts between familial duty and growth, especially for the women in the 19th century’s. This theme is still connected in the modern day world, as many people struggle to balance their own goals with their leadership to their families. Little Women questions the sustainability of gender stereotypes for both male and female. Jo is the protagonist, frustrates classic gender expectations by wanting to earn a living and rejecting social norms. Little Women underlines the importance of being honest and true to someone. Little Women is universal and timeless and many people struggle to find their own identity/gender and place in this world. Although the fact that the characters in Little Women come from a very different time and places than many other readers, the themes of little women and messages are still important to this day. The universality of this book lies in its ability to investigate timeless themes with readers and all their backgrounds, story’s and experiences.

Beth
        Participant

Hey Jin, your feedback is attached 🙂

Attachments:
      leyan
      Participant

Dear Beth,

This is my homework,

Little Women shows the differences between men and women at the time. It could be called a historical book, showing how women lived during the Civil War and how hard times would get. Unlike other books at the time, Little Women was about girls. Normally, if women were mentioned in a book of that time, it would only be talking about men and their love lives for a short period. However, Little Women is not just about girls talking about their love lives, they are also talking about different things. I think people in the world who are bored of classics when mentioned women, only talk about men. This book may be read across the world because of this.

Secondly, Little Women is one of the books that make you keep turning the pages. It is one of the books that you grip it, and read every word carefully with joy.

Beth
        Participant

Super work Leyan, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Lucas C
      Participant

Hello Beth!

Here is my homework:

People still find the book interesting because it shows how hard it was like as a women at that time. People also find it interesting because there was many books about boys/men and barely any about girls/women. The characters in the book are pretty interesting too, for example, Jo likes to act like a boy. We can also learn what it was like to be a girl/women back then. The book showed how the medicines was poor conditioned back then and couldn’t cure scarlet fever, whilst nowadays, we can cure scarlet fever with our medicine. Little women is a book where you cannot stop reading it and you read   E V E R Y   S I N G L E   W O R D   carefully. Also, in Good Wives, they had to give up their dreams and become a wife to a man who doesn’t want to spend time with them.*
      * (I am not sure if I am correct, please let me know if I am not)

I really enjoyed the lesson and i am looking forward to next lesson!

Lucas

Beth
        Participant

Some lovely ideas Lucas, well done 🙂

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Very glad you enjoyed the lessons ! 🙂

Lucas C
      Participant

Hello Beth!

Here is my homework:

People still find the book interesting because it shows how hard it was like as a women at that time. People also find it interesting because there was many books about boys/men and barely any about girls/women. The characters in the book are pretty interesting too, for example, Jo likes to act like a boy. We can also learn what it was like to be a girl/women back then. The book showed how the medicines was poor conditioned back then and couldn’t cure scarlet fever, whilst nowadays, we can cure scarlet fever with our medicine. Little women is a book where you cannot stop reading it and you read   E V E R Y   S I N G L E   W O R D   carefully. Also, in Good Wives, they had to give up their dreams and become a wife to a man who doesn’t want to spend time with them.*

* (I am not sure if I am correct, please let me know if I am not)

I really enjoyed the lesson and i am looking forward to next lesson!

Lucas

sally
      Participant

Hi  beth here is my home work      Sally。       people like this book because it is very interasting and fun to read and talkes about how women live at that time and how at that time women are treated Little Women is a book that is you cant stop when you start reading it

Beth
        Participant

A good start Sally, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Emili
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is my homework from today

P.S, today’s homework was the best homework ever.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Such gorgeous work Emily, I am so impressed with your artistic skills. I love the idea of using Ying and Yang to represent their differences and how you have also used some beautiful colour symbolism, with Zofia’s anger and Tom’s fear of the dark represented brilliantly within your drawing. The design is fantastic and I really like how the colour of the title jumps out and links to the motif of light that runs throughout the book. Amazing use of writing on the cover to hint at the plot of the novel as well. Really creative work and I’m so glad you loved this homework task! Well done 🙂

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 10

In today’s lesson we began our final book of the course, The Light in Everything. We began today by thinking about likes and dislikes and discussing a review of the novel thinking about elements the students either agreed or disagreed with. We spoke about Tom’s past and the concept of trauma and how it affects his behaviour, before the class spoke about why there is so little dialogue in the book. They then wrote their own examples of dialogue, imagining a scene between Zofia and Tom, before concluding with ideas on the title of the novel. Good work today guys, particularly when thinking about the reason Zofia and Tom are so different in their expression of emotions. Keep up the fantastic contributions and see you next week 🙂

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      sally
      Participant

hi beth !

this is my drawing of the front cover。                                      sally

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Great work Sally, well done! Your illustrations are wonderfully eye-catching and vivid and I love your focus on the theme of light that runs throughout the novel. Your idea to separate Tom and Zofia in this front cover to demonstrate the contrast between them is very effective and I really like the use of text to further show what different people they are and suggest that this may come up in the plot of the story. The line between the two of them in the drawing represents the barriers they put up between each other in real life and you have demonstrated their personalities really well too. Fantastic front cover design, well done 🙂

Spelling:

*always

*counts

* I like the writing is on the wrong side- Tom’s descriptive is on the Zofia side and Zofia’s is on Tom’s

Hi Beth,

Here is my book cover, I really enjoyed making it. I tried to use contrasting colors to show the massive difference between Zofia and Tom. Thank you.

Kind regards,

Jessie

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Gorgeous illustration work Jessie, well done! The artistic style of this cover is so beautifully put together and I love the way in which you have presented the differences between the two using multiple different elements- from the colours which are beautifully symbolic to their body language to the setting. I also really enjoyed that the illustration of Tom is much more abstract as if to suggest that he is a mystery or blank canvas, whereas Zofia’s comparable extroverted nature is demonstrated by the detail in her face and her open posture- such an interesting presentation. Really impressive and artistically intricate work, well done! 🙂

Melvin
      Participant
        Beth
        Participant

Heya Melvin- these links don’t work, please could you try again? Thank you! 🙂

Yangyang
      Participant

30+ mins of Procreate on iPad hope you enjoy!

Attachments:
        Yangyang
        Participant

wrong one sry

Attachments:
          Beth
          Participant

Gorgeous work Yangyang, well done! I love the symbolism behind having the origami bird flying out of the hand, with it both representing fear and freedom and demonstrating the process both Zofia and Tom have to go through in order to break free of their struggles. You have used colour beautifully here, with the stark black and white contrasting against the soft colours of the hands releasing the bird, and I really enjoy the circular perspective around this image, as if we are just peeping into someone else’s life. Great design, really well done 🙂

HelenX
      Participant

I drew this one, I hope you like it. 🌌🌠🌟

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Amazing drawing Helen, well done! I love how you have used shadow in this to represent Tom and Zofia as silhouettes against the shoreline, and I really enjoyed that we don’t get to see their faces but instead only get to see what they are gazing off towards. The use of the seaside as the setting is very effective and links wonderfully to the importance of the sea in the novel and I also love the inclusion of the origami crane in the sky. Fantastic use of colour and shading and a really lovely, mysterious image that captures the reader’s imagination. Gorgeous work, well done 🙂

EmilyH
      Participant

Here’s my homework, I accidentally blocked Tom’s right eye then I ripped it a little and practically ruined it, hope you don’t mind!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Don’t worry at all, it looks brilliant! Amazing work Emily, well done! The way you’ve used different styles here to show Tom and Zofia at different points in the book is so effective, combining a cartoon style with a more impressionistic style below. I really like your use of bold colours and how you’ve represented the difference between Tom and Zofia. Fantastic use of motifs from the story such as the birds or the seaside and a really intriguing representation of their emotions and personalities from the way you have depicted them, with Tom drawn in and shy and Zofia more open and set against the sky. Lovely drawing Emily, well done 🙂

Ren
      Participant

Hi Beth,

this is my homework.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Really intriguing work Haodi- well done! I really liked how you represented the two characters and thought the choice to shade over Zofia’s eyes is a really interesting and effective one, representing how she is sometimes blind to the world around her. Your use of colour contrast is wonderful and shows the differences between the two main characters, and I really liked how you presented Tom in one of his happier, more open moments. Gorgeous use of setting and suggestion that the characters are on a journey of discovery together, walking into a better future. Also lovely use of the sun motif to match the title! Brilliant work well done 🙂

Sue
      Participant

my homework

Sue
      Participant

my homework

Sue
      Participant

my homework

Sue
      Participant

my homework

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 11

In today’s lesson we continued our work on The Light in Everything working today on theme and setting. We began by identifying moments where themes shone through in the story before digging into the theme of anger in detail. We then spoke about the importance of setting, using this to write character-informed descriptions of the seaside. We then thought of our own setting for the novel, considering what this would change and how it would work for the story. Finally, we thought about Zofia comparing herself to storm clouds and thought of a pathetic fallacy-based concept for Tom. Fantastic work today everyone, well done for all your contributions and excellent creative ideas. Keep up the wonderful work and see you next week 🙂

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

P.S. The interview is posted just under the PPT above on the word doc called ‘Katya Balen Interview’

Lucas C
      Participant

Hello Beth!

I just wanted to say this:

Thank you for the great lesson! See you next week!

Beth
        Participant

You’re so welcome Lucas, I am so glad you enjoyed! 🙂

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 12

In today’s class we completed work on The Light in Everything and consequently completed our whole course. Today we looked at Katya Balen’s reasons behind writing this novel, digging into the interviews the class read for homework, before thinking about her use of literary techniques in the book. The class then completed some amazing group work, reading reviews together and coming up with their own versions, which they did fantastically, thinking carefully about lots of different aspects of the novel. Wonderful work today and over the past ten weeks everyone, it has been a joy working with you and I hope you’ve all enjoyed our classes together. Brilliant analysis, creative ideas and some really original pieces of writing from all of you- well done everyone. Keep up the brilliant work and see you next time 🙂

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Melvin
      Participant

Hi Beth,

this is my homework for the final week of reading 🙁 . Thanks for all the lesons you gave me. I will miss them 🙁 .

Melvin 🙁

I like the quote ‘I wouldn’t change a thing abot our lives right now.’ because it apears twice in the book (well… I think it does) and it is a clue to the plot where Tom and Zofia’s get a dramatic twist in it. Soon they will have to cooperate with the change and nobody knows about it… yet.

Beth
        Participant

Ahh you are so welcome Melvin- I will miss our lessons too! I will hopefully see you again in lessons in January, until then have an amazing holiday season.

Lovely work this week, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      EmilyH
      Participant

This might not be a quote.

I liked the quote when it said No let’s go for a swim! because it shows how Zofia likes the ocean. I liked it because I think the sea is the only thing to calm Zofia down when she rages. It shows how Zofia really likes the ocean and she really likes swimming too! It makes me feel that Zofia actually has a good side when it comes to the sea. The sea is the thing to keep Zofia calm and as you see when Zofia is  mad or annoyed she goes to the sea to swim.
      Plus  Tom doesn’t like the sea maybe because he isn’t that comfortable and Zofia just likes to swim.
      I liked it because it showed Zofia’s personality too! It shows that she is more comfortable in a more calmer place.
      It shows that Zofia was a more of a storm but after going for a swim she becomes calmer.
      Mostly, we can see that the sea is like Zofia’s best friend because of the quote on top.
      I liked the quote because it shows that Zofia has a good side sometimes and not a grumpy cloud.
      It shows that she can maybe sometimes regulate her emotions with swimming.
      Plus it shows how Zofia likes the ocean and she can swim very well.

Beth
        Participant

Super work Emily, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Yangyang
      Participant

Hw below::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Great work Yangyang, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Jimmy
      Participant

Hi Beth,

this is my homework. Thanks 🙂

My favorite quote is “I tried my best, it’s hard isn’t it Ted” (Except for the word Ted) because it showed the most clearly the characters try hard in the book probably.  Even though that the whatever their working on whatever it is  is hard, they still tried.

Beth
        Participant

Some fab work Jimmy, well done 🙂

Attachments:

Hi Beth,

Below is my homework.

Thank you for all the lessons we have had! I’ve enjoyed every one of them.

Kind regards,

Jessie

Katya Balen’s novel, The Light in Everything, beautifully portrays hidden meanings within sentences from the perspectives of Zofia and Tom. One of my favourite quotes from the book is “I was born in a storm…” In particular, “I was born in a storm. The sky cracked with lightning, and thunder shook the sea. Rain lashed the cliffs, and it seemed as if the entire world had been turned upside down, and the ocean was falling from the sky. The weather was furious, and so was I.”

Zofia’s perspective is reflected in this quote where she talks about her birth and how it shaped her personality. She is a strong-willed, energetic, and at times, intimidating person who isn’t afraid to stand up for herself. By comparing herself to the weather, including storms, lightning, thunder, angry seas, and lashing rain, she conveys that she is like a storm cloud that was born into anger, and her emotions are not her fault but simply a part of who she is, much like how storms are part of nature. This is a beautiful metaphor that perfectly describes Zofia’s character.

Beth
        Participant

Phenomenal work Jessie, well done 🙂

Attachments:
          Beth
          Participant

Also, you are more than welcome & I am so glad you’ve enjoyed the course- I’ve loved working with you all! I’ll hopefully see you in January, have a lovely holiday season 🙂

Emili
      Participant

Hi Beth

Sorry for the late homework.

Thank you for the course and hope you have a great time teaching next time. Will be joining again after christmas

Hope you have a lovely time

Emily Pang

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

You are very welcome Emily, I am so glad you’re joining again after Christmas, I can’t wait for our next course! I absolutely enjoyed teaching this course, you were all fantastic to work with. Have a lovely holiday season!

Exceptional work this week, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Shangchen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is my homework.

Thanks for the coarse, I really enjoyed it!😄

Shangchen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

I am so glad you enjoyed it Shangchen, it was wonderful working with you all; I will see you soon in the Christmas course!

Fab work this week, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Shangchen
      Participant

*course

Viewing 146 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar