Forums 2022 Spring Courses Reading-Year34-Tue

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • Author
      VMWEdu
      Keymaster
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 1

In today’s class we began with a historical take on our first book The Wild Way Home. The class began by evaluating their immediate thoughts and feelings on the book, which they did beautifully using some great examples to help argue their points. We then dug into the history of the Stone Age, thinking about using the class’s prior knowledge, ideas from the book, and notions from a Horrible Histories video to help us write some descriptive accounts of a day in the life of a stone age man or woman. The class did a great job on this- delivering some amazing sensory descriptions of what it may have been like to have been alive at the time. Finally we analysed some different ideas about Stone Age living, before finally discussing where we would go to if we could travel in time. Loads of lively and interesting discussion today class- I was really impressed by your enthusiasm and all your historical knowledge. Excellent work and writing- keep it up and I’ll see you next week 🙂

Horrible Histories link you can watch the rest of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDDlhCtIdQ4&feature=emb_logo

List of different genres: https://www.scholastic.com/parents/books-and-reading/raise-a-reader-blog/kid-friendly-guide-to-new-reading-genres.html

More genres to research: https://www.harpercollins.com/blogs/harperkids/childrens-book-genres

P.S. The powerpoint is attached is you’d like to use it to help with the homework, if you have any questions just post them below- have fun!

Homework 

Homework

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Adrian
      Participant

The Wild Way Home                            Homework                           26/3/22

I think the genre of the Wild Way Back Home is action-adventure and horror.

·      It is an action-adventure story because Charlie (one of the main characters of this book), accidentally ran through the bushes and into the stone age type of his world.  The stone age was far, far away from how advanced we are, so life was very rough and scary. For example, Charlie and Harby had to eat roasted nuts (which Harby called “hots”) for survival. They had to fight a wolf that attacked them, and Charlie was injured during the process.

·      It is a horror story too mainly because in this story the background is the stone age. For the prehistoric people, it wouldn’t be scary at all because they get used to the harsh way. For more civilised and advanced people like us, we would think it would be scary if a wild animal attack you and you don’t have strong defences. You wouldn’t be sleeping in your bed at night in the stone age, instead you would be in a cave or like this story, in the middle of the forest.  Also there’s a bit of blood like when the story said, “Then I noticed in the lake, blood was coming out of a boy’s head and was spreading out in the lake”.

By Adrian Zhang

Beth
        Participant

Outstanding work Adrian- well done! You have thought really deeply and in a very mature and sophisticated way about the genre of this novel, using some gorgeous examples from the book (and even quotations- amazing!) to back up your argument. I love your thoughts about how the brutality of stone age life shapes the genre of the novel, and how you’ve compared the lives of stone age people to our own, more advanced modern age. Fantastic identification of imagery such as the blood imagery and connection of these ideas to the central themes and genre of the book. To make this even better, could you add a final concluding sentence to sum up your thoughts and help leave the reader with a powerful impression of your main argument? Overall wonderful work, well done 🙂

Corrections:

*would get used to the harsh way of living

*wild animal attacked you

thea
      Participant

HI Beth,
      Here is my homework

What is the moral of the story

I think the moral of the story is that you have to always work together as a team and use teamwork because if you don’t do any of those things you will never get to the end especially if it is a challenge.In this book it already kind of is a challenge because Charlie has to try to get back home without being stopped by any wild beasts or any things that could harm him.My second moral is that you should never EVER go on a trip without weapons because if you don’t bring any, someone could really really really get hurt you or your friends or your teacher.My last moral is NEVER GIVE UP.Even though it might be a really hard task you should never give up because you never know if your heart wants to do it or not…….

THank you

Beth
        Participant

Lovely work Sanya- well done! I really like that you’ve considered the philosophical moral of the story to always work as a team and never give up, alongside the more practical moral about protecting yourself in the stone age world! You’ve used some great examples of times in the book where the moral was very clear and have used some gorgeous emphasis with your capitalisation to let the reader know which points are the most important to you. I really like the point about following your heart and trying to uncover your true wants and needs in life- beautifully put! Just make sure you read the question a little more carefully because this homework was actually about genre (the type of story i.e., adventure, fairytale etc.) as opposed to the moral, but overall a really perceptive and lovely piece of literary analysis. Well done 🙂

leyan
      Participant

Hello Beth this is my homework

I think the genre of this book is Fantasy as it time travels millions of years ago where all modern things were never invented. They had to work with flint and stone for roughly 2.5 million years! The Stone Age was rough working all day long hunting for your tribe to survive. In the Stone Age, they had to live near a river to get an easy water supply.

My second genre was adventure as Charlie ran into the bushes and vanished from the modern world into the Stone Age. Then, Charlie met Harry and the wolves. Charlie was Beverly injured while fighting it. They had to live like the beginning of civilisation  and Harby calls hots, nuts.

Beth
        Participant

Amazing answer Leyan- well done! I absolutely love that you’ve included your historical knowledge regarding the Stone Age and have thought deeply about how this interacts with the theme of time travel. You have also included some great notions about what Stone Age life was like and how the fantastical realm this book inhabits reflects the differences between ancient and modern life. Great use of examples to back up your adventure genre answer too and some really nice P.E.E. structure going on. To make this even better, could you use quotations directly from the book that you can then analyse to help make your argument super strong? Overall, wonderful work- well done 🙂

leyan
      Participant

harby

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 2

In today’s lesson we continued our work on The Wild Way Home, thinking about some of the key ideas and themes within the book and how the author expresses these through the inclusion of the W. B. Yeats poem The Song of Wandering Aengus that she opens her novel with. We studied the Yeats poem, comparing its message and themes to those of the book, before reading an interview with the author where she discusses her reasoning behind her decision to use it to introduce her story. The class then wrote their own amazing versions of a poem to open the story, thinking about the kinds of ideas they would want to communicate to the reader in order to set the scene. Everyone worked enthusiastically today and the class were incredibly focused and creative. Amazing work everyone- you should all be very proud of your writing!

Poetry video we watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w8PLcYP0sU&t=47s

P.S. The Mandel Museum worksheet is attached below

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      thea
      Participant
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Sanya- I can only see a blank document when I open this link. Are you sure you sent the right link? 🙂

Adrian
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is my homework. Sorry for turning in late. Thanks a lot!

Adrian

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Gorgeous work Adrian- I love the sound of your museum! You’ve set it out on the PowerPoint beautifully, thinking carefully about the aesthetics of your museum and how they might compliment the artifacts inside. I really like your selection of things you would keep in your museum and how they all connect to the theme of nature that is so prevalent in the novel The Wild Way Home. You’ve thought of a fantastic range of objects, showing a deep understanding of the natural world- well done! To make this even better, could you think about what the museum would be show-casing i.e., the purpose of my museum is to show-case the natural world of the Stone Age. Overall excellent work- well done 🙂

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 3

In today’s class we completed our work on The Wild Way Home, focusing on character study and ideas around interpreting the novel creatively using various writing tasks. We began by discussing character, thinking about the similarities and differences between key characters and what made certain characters the students’ favourites. We then moved on to the class creating their own characters who could fit into the world of the book, which they all did beautifully. Finally we did some close textual analysis on a passage from the book, discussing the semantic field of the extract and then creatively interpreting it from the perspective of the hunter characters. As a final activity the class summed the book up in one sentence, wonderfully interpreting the themes and thinking deeply about the message. Everyone worked excellently today- there was loads of energy and exciting ideas in class and I loved hearing everyone’s thoughts and contributions. Great work everyone- see you next week for Goodnight Mr Tom 🙂

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      thea
      Participant

How has Charlie changed and developed in the course of the story?

At the start of the story, Charlie didn’t really want Dara because Dara had a lot of problems and that was the reason Charlie ran away. But at the end of the story, he starts to like Dara more.
      At the story Charlie was scared because he couldn’t find his way back to the hospital. But in the end, he was brave because he kept on going and helped Harby.
      At the start when Charlie couldn’t find his way back, he was going to give up. But then in the end he changed because he kept going to find his way back.

Thank you,
      Sanya 🙂

Beth
        Participant

Lovely work Sanya- well done! I really like how you’ve considered specific examples from the book that illustrate why and how Charlie changes, such as him learning to accept and love Dara. You’ve thought of lots of different ways in which Charlie grows throughout the book, such as his courage that arises in response to helping Harby and his determination to keep going in order to find a way back home. I love that you’ve outlined his character arc so clearly and have structured your answer into three parts to make it clear to the reader where Charlie begins the novel and where he ends it. To make this even better, could you use some quotations from the book to back up your points? Overall wonderful work – well done 🙂

Adrian
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is my homework of Mandle Forest Maps. Thanks!

Adrian

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Gorgeous work Adrian well done! This is a super creative and vibrant map and illustrates loads of different passions and interests that you have. I love that you have incorporated the theme of nature that is so prevalent in The Wild Way Home and have used a variety of both real and mythical creatures to create a fascinating backdrop against which your map is set. Your use of design and art is really wonderful to look at and I love the mixture of different ideas, images and themes you have used. To make this even better could you add a couple labels to tell us exactly what is what? Overall excellent work- well done 🙂

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 4 

Today we started our work on Goodnight Mister Tom, learning about the history behind the book and thinking about putting ourselves in the shoes of people like William from the book. We began by summarising our feelings on the book, unpicking the parts we enjoyed and didn’t enjoy, before moving on to researching the Second World War (which the class did beautifully). We learnt about evacuation and how it worked in Britain, looking at the thoughts and experiences of evacuees alongside practical considerations of where to evacuate people to. Lastly, the class heard Chamberlain’s speech declaring war on Germany and had to think from the perspective of someone alive at the time. Everyone worked excellently today- there was loads of lively discussion and the class reacted very empathetically to the experiences of characters in the book and real historical people from the time. Amazing job everyone- see you next week 🙂

Evacuee video we watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFBlvWkNEKU&feature=emb_logo

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Isabella
      Participant

Dear Diary,

Guess what happened? Today I got the news that I was going to be evacuated because of all the  bombing and war going on in London. It’s compulsory that all children have to evacuate if they live in a dangerous and desolated place. I am moving up north, to Glasgow by train. It will take roughly 6 hours and I am only allowed a few things to bring (t – shirts, cardigans, stockings, a blouse, a petticoat and a vest to keep warm; apples, nuts, raisins and a sandwich to eat and plimsolls, wellington boots and ordinary boots to walk in). My heart feels devastated and I think I’m going to fracture.

I’m going to be living with Mr and Mrs Kelly. I have met them once when I went to Scotland for a holiday. They seemed pretty friendly, effervescent and mirthful so I’m moderately relaxed about moving. On top of that, my friend Coco is also getting evacuated to Glasgow and living on the same street as me so that would be wonderful. Like I said, I am woebegone about leaving this family and being thrown into a train with nothing to do for a quarter of the day. The other thing is that bad is that I keep thinking that a bomb is going to be thrown on top of me in the train or I have to wear a hideous, grotesque and ruddy coloured gas mask that looks like a skeletons skull  bedaubed with blood all day.

I’m hoping that the countryside will be much safer and that Mr and Mrs Kelly will be like I remembered. Kind and caring. I also hope that I get to take care of the animals and pachyderms in the farm and that Glasgow has lots more sun and more birds trilling and warbling. Oh! Is that the time already? I have got to leave for my train to Glasgow. I’ll write to you when I start to settle in with my new owners.  Bye!

Beth
        Participant

Beautiful work Isabella- really well done, I am super impressed! I love how you have integrated the history of the time (i.e., the items they were allowed to bring) alongside your own interpretation of how evacuees would have been feeling. Your vocab is outstanding (effervescent, woebegone, bedaubed, grotesque, mirthful are all brilliant words) and you have used emotive language throughout to paint a really moving and heartfelt portrayal of your narrator’s inner world. You’ve used your work from class beautifully in identifying Glasgow as a good place to evacuate to, and I really like that we get the sense of your writer dreaming up all of the different aspects of what their new life might be like. Gorgeous use of the diary structure and I really love your metaphor “I think I’m going to fracture”. You could maybe try to start experimenting with things such as advanced punctuation to take your work up to the next level (i.e., semi-colons, colons etc.) Overall, seriously excellent work Isabella- well done 🙂

Adrian
      Participant

My Diary of How I was Evacuated    June 13th, 1940, 8:37 am

Dear Dairy,

Last night I couldn’t even sleep! It was because tomorrow I was going to be evacuated to the countryside. Partly I am scared and partly I am excited. The bit I fear is meeting a total stranger who is going to let me stay at his house, and what if the people there aren’t friendly and instead are mean and wicked.  The last thing I’m scared of is that I might not have the food I like in London. The things I’m excited about are that I probably only have twenty precent possibility of being bombed and I can finally breath some fresh air in the countryside.

June 13th, 1940, 9:03

Hi, I’m back sorry about the disruption, I was just getting on the train to a place called “Glassgo” (I think it’s called that, but I’m not sure). So now I’m on my way to the countryside, the train is full evacuees like me, luckily one of my friends was on the train to Glassgo too.  A few minutes later, “If you are coming to Glasgow, get off now” said the train driver, so now I’m finally here

but I have to stop now, so Au revoir, à bientôt.

Beth
        Participant

Wonderful work Adrian- well done! I love that you’ve structured your work into two separate entries to show the passage of time and suggest how much the writer is being disjointedly moved about the country. I really like that they mishear “Glasgow”- a very effective technique that gives us a lovely insight into your narrator’s brain and how bewildering the whole experience is for them. You discuss the narrator’s hopes and fears really well, using all your historical knowledge to give the piece a real sense of immediacy and poignance. I also love the little bit of French at the end- great building of narrative voice there! To make this even better could you possibly do some more show don’t tell in exploring the narrator’s feelings- i.e., instead of saying “I am partly scared and partly excited” could you have them describe a physical feeling like “my feet are shaking, but I’m not sure if it’s fear or excitement!”. Overall, a really heartful and creative piece, outstanding work Adrian, well done 😊

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 5

In today’s class we continued our work on Goodnight Mister Tom, focusing on the central relationship at the heart of this story: the bond between Tom and William. We looked at ideas such as perspective and how it influences the telling of the story, alongside considerations such as the way characters are crafted in this novel. We spoke about William’s home life, unpacking some quite difficult ideas about the life he leads in London with his mother, before finishing with some work on unlikely friendships. The class wrote some really entertaining and wonderful stories about an unlikely friendship, using Tom and William as inspiration. Everyone worked really skilfully today- there were loads of great ideas and lots of fantastic contributions in class. Well done everyone for all your hard work and I look forward to seeing you next week 🙂

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Adrian
      Participant

I am Writing the Scene of the Blackberry Picking and Picnic in Ginnie’s View.

Today, George was out of his mind, because he actually invited the two evacuees to come with us! Nor me or Carrie knew about them, I realised that William was quite shy but the other one called Zach was just completely annoying! I understand when you come to a new place you would be quite shy, so it’s completely normal for William, but I don’t know where Zach got all the courage to say so many things.  So let’s start from the beginning, a few days ago me, Carrie and George decided to go blackberry picking, but we didn’t know they were coming too. So me and Carrie arrived but George wasn’t there, then we realised that he was getting the EVACUEES TO COME! He came back with the evacuees, which was: William and Zach. Finally we could have our picnic, but with Zach it was a total Nightmare! Now I’m going to give that day a rating 6 out of 10 because at least we made some friends, but if Zach was not such a “chatterbox” then I would’ve given a 9 out of 10. It would be better if they weren’t evacuees.

Beth
        Participant

Lovely work Adrian- well done! Your feedback is attached below 🙂

Attachments:
      Emili
      Participant

I am writing the scene of  the Spooky Cott in Zach’s View

On the last Saturday before going back to school days , me , Will , George and the twins all decided to go to Spooky Cott . Will folded our map , between us we all carried :torches ,string ,a penknife and a very old rope . me and Will watched George and the twins crawl along the field to the edge then we followed suit to the opposite direction . Instead of us hitting the road where we might easily be seen we crawled parallel to it on the other side of the edge. After we finally hit the woods we ran quietly from tree to tree , soon we heard soft swishing sound of the river and me , Will ,  all sank down on the dark and muddy bank and I stood still for a second and drank into peacefulness.

Beth
        Participant

Gorgeous work Emily- well done! Your feedback is attached below 🙂

Attachments:
      Isabella
      Participant

I’m writing the scene of when Will first travels to school in his view.

I’m feeling nervous. It’s my first day at school and I … I can’t stop shaking like a leaf in the breeze. I’m walking to school with a few friends (George, the twins and Zach). I didn’t think it was a day for walking. It seemed like a day to stay indoors and study the Bible or draw and practice my adept in my bed.  The weather is dull and cloudy. Almost malevolent (I might need my gemstone talisman). I espy Mister Tom packing my lunch (two apples and a thick egg and cress sandwich on wholesome brown bread ). He paused for a second or two and said:

“You can come back here for dinner if you wants, or have it with the others. Best take yer cap and mackintosh. Looks like rain.” I’m not sure if I need my mackintosh but I  bring it anyway. I think I am going to be having dinner at the twins’ house today so I tell Mister Tom that. I pick up my lunch and my label and head outside to meet George and the others outside the village hall at the nadir of the hill. My head is sweating, my face turns red and I start to get more and more agitated. I’m starting to wonder if the teacher would be levity and riotous or severe and illiberal. No, I’m being silly. Concentrate. I say to myself. I stand erect and courageously. I finally arrive.

Beth
        Participant

Beautiful work Isabella- well done! Your feedback is attached below 🙂

Attachments:
      thea
      Participant

If I were to take Willie to a place, I would tell Mr. Tom all about how my mum forced me to do all the chores and she was allowed to rest all day on the sofa doing whatever she wanted. The most important thing I would tell Mr. Tom is that my mum never allowed me to eat anything with the letter E in it ( but she only would allow me to eat vegetables wich was very harsh because I wasn’t allowed to eat: sweets, chocolate, ice cream, and an ice lolly. But that didn’t really matter to me because I like being helpful and doing chores (that’s probably why I know lots of things that she doesn’t. I’ve got a real secret. It is her fault she keeps getting mad.
      I am lucky that now I’m with Mr tom now. He is KIND.

Sanya 🙁

Beth
        Participant

Fab work Sanya- well done! Your feedback is attached below 🙂

Attachments:
      leyan
      Participant

Dear Beth, sorry my homework is late. PLease check. Thanks. Leyan

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Great work Leyan- well done! Your feedback is attached below 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 6 

In today’s class we completed our work on Goodnight Mister Tom, working on imagining the book as a play and getting inside the characters from the story. We began with some hotseating work on the character of Mr Tom, which the class acted out beautifully, before thinking about how we imagined the book as a play. The class wrote their own Goodnight Mister Tom plays, inspired by a trailer for a theatre production of the book- and they were all great! Finally, we wrote some creative school reports, thinking about Willie’s progress throughout the book. Amazing work today everyone- I was so so so impressed by your energy, imagination and work today. It was a joy to teach you all this lesson and I look forward to seeing you soon. Well done class 🙂

Video of the play trailer we watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-F5WyGWs-M&t=72s

Homework

Homewor

Attachments:
      thea
      Participant

War declared
      Would war II started on the first of September 1939. The war has been getting serious in London so we have decided to evacuate children. The evacuees have been evacuated to a safer part near the seaside where they are safer there. We have been catching up with one evacuee who has moved nearer to the church with our beloved Mr Tom.
      Mr. Tom has currently adopted a ten-year-old boy who is really kind and quiet. It took Mr. Tom ages to figure out what the young boy’s name was but luckily The boy told him in the end. Mr.Tom then knows him as Willie but Willie didn’t really mind because everybody knows him as either Will, Willie, or William. Sammy is also in their friendship too, he is a dog he is white with black, creative spots all around his body. Right now Mr Tom is having a really good time with Willie

Beth
        Participant

Amazing work Sanya- I love this news report! I really enjoy that you include an interview with Mr Tom, emphasising what a pillar of the community he is through phrases such as “our beloved Mr Tom” and how you have thought carefully about the things Tom may share with a reporter about his and Willie’s relationship (could you even make up some direct quotes? i.e., Mr Tom said of their relationship “he’s a good boy really, quiet but I don’t mind that”). You have set the background of this article beautifully with the outline of the beginning of the war and have clearly outlined the reasons for the evacuation. Your headline is snappy and to the point and you’ve painted a lovely narrative picture of their budding friendship. To make this even better, remember to keep your tenses consistent- here you use present tense “Tom knows him as Willie” but then switch to past “but Willie didn’t really mind” whereas it should be “Willie doesn’t really mind”. Just make sure you keep your tense consistent the whole way through by asking yourself- when is this story being told? After the event (then use past tense) or whilst the event is still ongoing (then use present). Overall, lovely newspaper writing- well done 🙂

Emili
      Participant

War declared

World War II had begun in the 1939 the First of September . The War in London is in a very bad situation so people  decided to evacuate people that is under 16 .The evacuations were taken to places that had lesser war and less bombs . One of the evacuation  moved near a church with a old man called Mr Tom .

The evacuation with Mr Tom was a boy named Willie that is ten and he does not mind what people call him Will , Willie, or William . Mr Tom adopted Willie after his mum died . Willie liked being with Mr Tom and Sammy that is a dog that has spots. Willie is having a great time with Mr Tom right now

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 7

In today’s class we began our work on our final book, Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver. We thought about the historical context behind the book, learning all about the Mesolithic Period and the different ways in which people lived at the time. We discussed what we liked and didn’t about the book, completed a research task to find out about the history and compared the book to another fictional story of a family living in the Middle Stone Age. Finally the class created some fantastic characters inspired by the book, thinking about how to create a clan to represent them and applying all their historical knowledge about Mesolithic peoples’ way of life in order to come up with some creative and historically accurate representations of the Stone Age. Amazing work today everyone- you all contributed beautifully and exhibited some fab knowledge. Well done and keep up the great work! 🙂

P.S. The worksheet is attached below

Video we watched on the Mesolithic Period: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DkXHi-udxg&feature=emb_logo

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      thea
      Participant

What I wear:
      If I was a human being in Torak’s would I would be wearing a ripped dress which is a misty brown colour with soft spiky bits on the bottom. It has grey, big rags on it and has really long sleeves. I wear a headdress out of an animal skull that looks very much like a reindeer.

Where I live :
      If I was a human being in Torak’s would I would live in a medium-sized hut made out of stone bases, wood, or straw sides but the roof is definitely going to be made out of straw. It is not going to be waterproof because there are going to be holes in between the straw.

What is the weather like :
      Climat changes dramatically during the Stone age, from warmer than today to much colder. There were a number of Ice ages, where glaciers expanded down from the north and sometimes covered much of Britten.

What I eat :
      Their diets included meat from wild animals and birds, leaves, roots, and fruit from plants they always grow. Normally hunters would go and hunt in the forest for wild animals and eat them or if some people aren’t strong enough, they would go to the river and go fishing instead.

Beth
        Participant

Amazing work Sanya- well done! Your description here is outstanding (I love the description of your character’s clothes, it is very well-though through and powerful). You have used your historical knowledge beautifully when thinking about how your life would be in Torak’s world, thinking about a variety of different elements from the leakiness of straw rooves to the climate in the Stone Age- amazing work! I love that you have thought carefully about the different kinds of things people might eat depending on their strength and where they live, and your ideas are all really convincing and imaginative. Could you also add some information about the clan your character belongs to and how that might affect their lives? Really excellent writing- you have synthesised the history around the novel, the events of the novel and your own ideas beautifully here. Well done! 🙂

Adrian
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Here is my homework. Sorry for turning late. Thanks!

Adrian

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Lovely work Adrian- well done! I love the design of the clan tattoo you have created and how you have thought carefully about linking where your clan lives to the kind of animal they might be represented by. Gorgeous drawing too! To make this even better, could you think of a more dynamic verb than fly, just so it isn’t the same as the raven clan’s saying i.e., may your guardian swoop with you? Overall lovely work, well done 🙂

Emili
      Participant

This is my homework from last week

War Found

Another War started in England on the 1st of September 1939. The War was so serious and started to drop bombs we had no choice so we had to evacuate people under 16 in London and the others had to fight to the death. The evacuations had to bring some stuff. All the evacuations had to move to the countryside where there were fewer bombs and less fighting.

Some of the evacuations really discovered something in the countryside and some loved it there so the countryside is not bad as London. There had enough food and they could keep going to school and get more friends. The teachers and the new families were nice.

A new evacuation Willie had a B+ on his new school. Willie’s new family is an old man called Mr. Tom. Mr Tom isn’t lonely he lives with a spotted dog called Sammy. Mr. Tom likes Willie very much and treated him as if he is his son.

Emili
      Participant

This is my homework from last week

War Found

Another War started in England on the 1st of September 1939. The War was so serious and started to drop bombs we had no choice so we had to evacuate people under 16 in London and the others had to fight to the death. The evacuations had to bring some stuff. All the evacuations had to move to the countryside where there were fewer bombs and less fighting.

Some of the evacuations really discovered something in the countryside and some loved it there so the countryside is not bad as London. There had enough food and they could keep going to school and get more friends. The teachers and the new families were nice.

A new evacuation Willie had a B+ on his new school. Willie’s new family is an old man called Mr. Tom. Mr. Tom isn’t lonely he lives with a spotted dog called Sammy. Mr. Tom likes Willie very much and treated him as if he is his son.

Beth
        Participant

Amazing work Emily! Beautiful use of historical facts and really great ideas about the way in which people might have felt in response to the outbreak of war. I really like your use of very dramatic phrases such as “the others had to fight to the death” which I think highlight how terrifying war was. I love your use of information from the text, such as the mention of Willie and his school grades. You have put in a great line about him being treated like a son which paints a very sweet image of their relationship. You have also used your headline to great effect  and the structure of your article is very clear. Just make sure that when you write newspaper articles they are in present tense all the way through, so it would be “the war is so serious” instead of was (also it’s evacuees not evacuations if you are referring to the people who have been evacuated). Overall fantastic work- well done 🙂

Emili
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Here is my homework. Thank you for your time

Emily

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Fab work Emily- well done! Your drawing here is beautifully detailed and I love the symbolism behind the clan tattoo. Lovely thoughts on the moon cycle question and I really love your choice of the verb “sneak” for the question about your guardian. Which animal was your clan based on? Overall fantastic work, well done 🙂

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 8

In today’s lesson we continued our work on Wolf Brother, thinking about elements of the book including character, genre and theme. We started with a research project on wolves, with the class considering why Paver may have chosen a wolf to have at the centre of her story. We then moved on to some character analysis, which everyone completed beautifully, before finishing with a creative and analytical task regarding genre. The class discussed the genre that the think the book falls under, coming up with adventure, mystery, horror, magical realism and fantasy. Then they wrote their own modified versions in genres of their choice of particular scenes, ranging from comedy to sci-fi. Really beautiful work from everyone today- their rewritten scenes were particularly exciting and I really enjoyed hearing their thoughts throughout the lesson. Well done everyone- keep up the amazing work and I’ll see you next week for our final class of the course 🙂

Homework

Homeowrk

Attachments:
      Isabella
      Participant

The clan that had the most power was  the Uchiha. Its culture was very different from ours as they had the Fire Chakra Nature which was when things burned whatever it touched and The Cures of Hatred. They were also good at FuinJutsu (the art of stealing). Most people would not choose to base their clan symbol on a paper fan but the Uchiha did.

The clan with the least power was the Iburi. The difference is that the Iburi could turn into smoke (which we can’t) but lose their lives when going outside. Everyone in that clan is very poor so people struggle to live a normal life. However, a similarity is that the Orochimaru clan used the Iburi clan like rich families have slaves to work for them.

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 9

In today’s lesson we completed our work on Wolf Brother, concluding our course with some ideas on the author behind the story and some of the wider symbols and themes in the book. We began by thinking about why Michelle Paver might have been inspired to write the book, before reading an interview with her. We then completed some language analysis of an extract from another book in the same series, before thinking about the symbolism of the demon bear and finally, debating some questions about what could come next. Everyone offered fantastic contributions today and their thoughts and ideas were super creative and sophisticated. Amazing work from everyone- I was really impressed by all the hard work and thought put into your work today and am very pleased with your brilliant ideas. Well done class 🙂

Michelle Paver video (you can watch the rest of this if you’d like as we only watched the first few minutes!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH-fl9Z4jSc

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Here are the homework questions:

Questions

Adrian
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Here is my answer to the second question. Thank you for your time.

Adrian

Attachments:
      thea
      Participant

Why is Torak struggling to find the mountain of spirits?

I think Torak is scared to find the mountain of spirits because that is where his father died and also because he is scared of the bear and that he might get killed by the bear too. Torak’s father didn’t really die but he was 99% dying and that is why when Torak was on his journey his father died to death :

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar