Keymaster

Varjak Paw
      Journey to the river sea
      The series of unfortunate events:The bad beginning
      Anne of green gable

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 1

In today’s lesson we began our work on Varjak Paw by S. F. Said, thinking about what we liked and disliked about the book and questioning why the author made the choices he did. The class came up with some fantastic interview questions that they would like to ask the author, which we then compared to a real life interview that Said gave. We then thought about putting ourselves in Varjak’s shoes, considering times we have felt the way he feels when he first enters the city. In response to this, the class wrote some beautiful descriptions from Varjak’s perspective of the city and all the weird and wonderful things he finds in it! The class did some brilliant work today, they were super enthusiastic and engaged and came up with some gorgeous ideas about why the book was written the way it was. Amazing work today everyone, keep it up and I look forward to seeing you next week! 🙂

Here is the video on genre that you should watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJO2iuMzMoM

Here is a list of genres: https://www.scholastic.com/parents/books-and-reading/raise-a-reader-blog/kid-friendly-guide-to-new-reading-genres.html

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      QianQian
      Participant

<p style=”text-align: right;”>[文件]</p>

QianQian
      Participant

I think the novel is a mysterious story because when they tried to get the ruthless dog it became a mysterious adventure.

I think the man with shoes as big as cats might actually be a goodie and he might help him too.

By helping him he might stamp on the gentlemen and scare the cats away.

And Varjak Paw and Elder Paw could carry on finding the dog sure Elder Paw’s clever enough.

Was the toy a trap or was its a secret or just a normal toy maybe maybe not.

If Elder Paw can see it he’l be a real wise cat.

Beth
        Participant

Gorgeous work QianQian- I love how you have included lots of different points in the story that you feel are particularly mysterious and have thought about the kinds of thoughts and questions it has brought to your mind. You’ve used some lovely images such as the ‘ruthless dog’ and have explained key plot points brilliantly such as the confusion over whether the toy is a trap or not. To make your writing even better, try to use some more punctuation to help it flow a bit better. For example: ‘Was the toy a trap or was its a secret or just a normal toy maybe maybe not’ could have punctuation such as ‘Was the toy a trap or was it a secret or just a normal toy? Maybe, maybe not.’. Overall, fantastic work and a pleasure to read! 🙂

QianQian
      Participant

Please mark my homework. Thank you!

YY123
      Participant

Hey Beth,

The attachment is Jessica’s homework, please check.

Many Thanks

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Lovely ideas Jessica- I particularly like how in depth you have gone with why certain things happened in the plot and what you think inspired the author to put them there. You have structured your answer beautifully, using some fab connectives and great paragraphing, alongside organising your thoughts and ideas really well. You have thought really deeply about Varjak’s motivations throughout the book which is fantastic, and I really like how you’ve started with a strong topic sentence talking about the book’s genre in the first line. To make your writing even better, just remember to focus a little more closely on the question itself- what is the genre of Varjak Paw- and then explain why you have chosen the genres you have. Try to find evidence to back up your ideas about which genre the book is. Overall, excellent work and a fantastic read! 😊

Isabella
      Participant

I think the genre of the book is fantasy because the cats talk. I also think the genre of the book is mystery because there are lots of unsolved questions. Why did the gentlemen come to the house? How did the contessa die? How could Varjak learn the way in his dreams? When other cats can’t?

Beth
        Participant

Beautiful work Isabella! I love how you have thought about multiple genres that the book plays with and offered evidence for each of them- i.e., fantasy because of the talking animals, mystery because of the questions the reader is encouraged to ask themselves. I love how you have used rhetorical questions to highlight the unresolved elements of the book and think you have identified some really important plot points too! You have carefully woven both genres together which is fantastic and really paints an image of the atmosphere of Varjak Paw overall. One little improvement would just to be to outline the key points of each genre and show how the book fits them- i.e., fantasy usually has magical or mystical elements which we can see in Varjak Paw when… This will just make it even clearer to the reader why each genre is a good fit. Overall, gorgeous work and a pleasure to read! 😊

Felix
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please see the attached for my homework.

Thank you

Kind regards,

Felix

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Outstanding work Felix- this is a really thoughtful and detailed dissection of this book’s genre and is super impressive! I love how you have started out with a strong intro paragraph outlining the three genres that fit best and have then gone into beautiful detail as to why these genres fit the book, using evidence from the story to back up your points. Your structure is fantastic, using paragraphs, connectives and topic sentences to signpost the reader and make your argument easy to follow, and you have made some really outstanding points about the way in which these three genres intersect within the book. One tiny thing you could do to improve would just to be to outline the key points of each genre and show how the book fits them- i.e., horror stories usually involve violence and death which we can see in the book when… This will just make it even clearer to the reader why each genre is a good fit. Overall, amazing work and a joy to read! 😊

Feite
      Participant

Genre

I think this book is adventure fiction. First it is fiction because there are a lot of cats dialogues, thoughts, feelings and behaviors which doesn’t happen in the real world.  Second it is adventure fiction because Varjak went to a lot of different places and did a lot of exciting things.

Beth
        Participant

Fab work Feite- I love how you have split the genre you are discussing into its component parts (i.e., adventure and fiction) and examined where you can see each of them arising from the story in the book. Highlighting the fantastical elements of the book (i.e., talking cats) in order to prove that the book is fictional works beautifully and I really like how you’ve thought about the way in which adventure drives Varjak’s actions throughout the story. To make your writing even better, try to expand outwards and find even more specific examples which prove your points i.e., the book fits the fiction genre in the scenes where Varjak dreams about Jalal Paw, as this is a fantastical and mythical encounter. Overall, lovely work- keep it up! This was great to read 🙂

George
      Participant

Dear Beth,

I am so sorry I report late. Please check it.

Many thanks!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Lovely work George- you have thought really carefully about the central themes that come across in this novel and have backed up your points with some fantastic evidence from the story. I love how you have carefully considered how the characters interact and how they show their true colours through the way that they treat each other. You have also considered lots of different aspects of the book and given many different pieces of evidence to back up your argument which is fantastic! One little improvement would be to focus on the idea of genre a little bit more closely (genre is the type of book i.e., mystery, horror, romance, fairytale) as your focus here is more on the themes and emotions of the book (which is great too!). Overall, this is a really interesting and lovely analysis of the book and its key ideas and I really enjoyed hearing your opinions on it- amazing work! 😊

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 2

In today’s lesson we continued our work on Varjak Paw by S. F. Said, thinking about the notions of suspense, genre and theme. The class thought fantastically about the use of suspense throughout this novel, coming up with some excellent suspenseful passages of their own that played off the ‘fear of the unknown’. We also discussed the technique of dramatic irony and thought about how telling the story from an animal’s perspective shaped the narrative. Finally we discussed themes, something which the class were super engaged and enthusiastic about debating which was fab to see! Everyone worked beautifully today- we had some really interesting ideas and contributions whizzing around, particularly on the topic of suspenseful writing. Great work everyone, keep it up and I look forward to reading your diary entries! 🙂

Video on suspense we watched with all the techniques (i.e. foreshadowing): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysvVeqBLMPo&t=52s

Homework 

Homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Diary entry template:

di

George
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Good afternoon, I have attached my homework.

Hope you have a lovely weekend!

Best Wishes

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Fab work George, your feedback is attached 🙂

Attachments:
      thea
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Hi this is Sanya I am using my sisters account:

Here is my homework

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10G49SXylKWLeJeJ6ADKsKh3t8q7tpOEZvDWsNMKRi9o/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you

Beth
        Participant

Gorgeous work Sanya, your feedback is attached 🙂

Attachments:
      Feite
      Participant

18 September 2021

Dear diary

Yesterday I had the worst day of my life.

I was just listening stories from the Elder Paw like I always did. Then things started to change worse. The family council thought I was speaking rudely to them. I didn’t take it seriously because I thought they were just trying to scare me. Actually I thought they were rude to me. They used mean words to make me feel small and sad not only that but they also challenged me to a fight so they could kill me. I had to go to a wall and climb it to survive. Behind the wall was the scary city. By now I’m still angry with them😡. They were like evil devils 😈. That wasn’t even the worst part. When I went to the city I didn’t know what was going on.

There were these walking creatures that kind of looked like my owner. There were even these things with four wheels that tried to crush me. There were also these huge tall things which had different colors. I didn’t know what were these at all. I was very scared😱 and I was wondering where I was. In midnight I heard a cat talking to me and I was first a bit scared but afterwards we had a great time. We both went to sleep afterwards.

I hope it won’t be scary today. Wish me luck.

Beth
        Participant

Fantastic work Feite, your feedback is attached 🙂

Attachments:
      Felix
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please see the attached for my homework.

Thanks

Kind regards,

Felix

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Wonderful work Felix, your feedback is attached 🙂

Attachments:
      QianQian
      Participant

Sorry, I am late, This is my homework. Please mark it. Thank you!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Lovely work QianQian, your feedback is attached 🙂

Attachments:
      YY123
      Participant

Hey Beth,

The attachment is Jessica’s homework, please check.

Many Thank

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Gorgeous work Jessica, your feedback is attached 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 3

In today’s lesson we completed our work on Varjak Paw by S. F. Said, looking at analysing some passages from the book that focused on Varjak’s difference through the symbol of his amber eyes. We spoke about why Varjak finds it hard to fit into his family, thinking about how he is related to Jalal Paw in more ways than one, and the class then wrote some beautiful symbols to illustrate this point. We spoke about responding to the book creatively and the students came up with their own missing posters for Varjak from the perspective of his parents, which they all did beautifully. Finally we reflected on some of the key ideas, themes and emotions that the class had taken from the book, thinking about the moral of the story in preparation for homework. Everyone did really brilliantly today, I was particularly impressed by the students’ work on symbolism which is a difficult concept to grasp and which they all worked with wonderfully- well done everyone! It’s been a great start to this term’s reading and you should all be super proud of yourselves. Keep up the great work and I’ll see you next week! 🙂

Symbolism video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vwek28P9Gk

Homework 

Homework

Attachments:
      YY123
      Participant

Hey Beth,

The attachment is Jessica’s lesson 3 3 homework, please check.

Many Thank

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Lovely work Jessica, your feedback is attached 🙂

Attachments:
      Feite
      Participant

Moral of the story

I think there are two morals in the story. The first key message of the story is everyone is different but no one is weak.  In the book Varjak was weak at first. He wasn’t good at fighting and have been forced to the city. But in the end he became super brave and 💪 strong. He even saved street cats in the city! Here is the second one, if you keep believing in yourself you can do whatever you want. For example Varjak believed in himself that he can get to the tree and he did it. Varjak also believed in himself that he can scare away the dogs and finally he did it. In the city there were a lot of dangers like dogs 🐶 ,cars 🚘 and people👨🏻. He believed in himself and finally he survived.

Beth
        Participant

Excellent work Feite, your feedback is attached 🙂

Attachments:
      thea
      Participant
        Beth
        Participant

Wonderful work Sanya, your feedback is attached 🙂

Attachments:
      Felix
      Participant

Varjak Paw
      I think the morals of this book is trust and to learn from your mistakes.

Firstly ,the book is about trust because Varjak trusted his Grandfather to go on an adventure .He trusted his grandfather when he quickly went outside to find a dog. he needed to scare an evil gentleman away with a dog. On his first adventure he did not trust himself and he thought he had failed his whole mission. In addition, Vaják did not trust Sally Bones when he didn’t think she knew a lot about the way, but it turned out that she did know the way, as a result he couldn’t defeat Sally Bones. Trust is the seventh and hardest skill of the way and if you have strong trust you could do anything, but if you have weak trust you cannot do many things.

Secondly, the book‘s moral is to learn from your mistakes because Varjak made a mistake which was thinking a car was a dog ,and he kept doing it even though Holly told him that they were cars not dogs, and because of that he didn’t ever find a dog. I also think that learning from mistakes is important or you will do it twice and keep doing it and you will never stop. Varjak learnt from his mistakes and he found a dog in the end,.

Beth
        Participant

Gorgeous work Felix, your feedback is attached 🙂

Attachments:
      Isabella
      Participant

I think the moral of the story is: believe in yourself and you can do anything. This is because Vorjak believed he could talk to dogs and she did. Also, Clyde thought he could not climb the brick wall but eventually he did it.

Beth
        Participant

Fab work Isabella, your feedback is attached 🙂

Attachments:
      George
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Please check my homework. Have a lovely day!

Kindly regards,

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Lovely work George, your feedback is attached 🙂

Attachments:
      QianQian
      Participant

Dear Beth ,please mark my homework. I attached wrong file last week.                                                                            QianQian

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Beautiful work QianQian, your feedback for both is attached 🙂

Attachments:
      QianQian
      Participant

Dear Dairy

Today in my dream Jalal taught me a new skill ,and I wanted to defeat the gentleman and his cats with it but Elder Paw got killed by his cats . I took a deep breath and I sneaked to the gentleman house and looked inside. At the same time, I felt frighted but when I looked in there, nothing was there . This is my chance I ran back ,but I was not that good at the skill, so I started dreaming again . In the terrifying dream, I practice my skill. In anger I jumped out of the bed, six letters wonder in mind: REVENGE! I couldn’t bear any longer, I charged furiously at the demon’s house; it was empty again.

End of the Day

QianQian
      Participant

Moral of the story

I think the moral of the story is: be brave,trust yourself and try new things.

And I think be v.confident,think before you do anything and face what you got and do it.

Don’t be scared of what other people say, don’t give up what you want to be or do even there’s pain.

Moral of Varjak Paw that I think

Sorry my homework’s late

QianQian

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 4

In today’s lesson we began our work on Journey to the River Sea by Eva Ibbotson, thinking about what we liked and disliked about the book and trying to imagine ourselves in the world of the book. We spoke about the setting of the Amazon rainforest, thinking about how vivid and overwhelming the landscape would be to someone who had never seen it before, and the class wrote some gorgeous descriptions of it. We then thought about the historical context of the book, considering what was different in 1910 when the book is set. Finally, the class thought about how they could modernise the book and what it would look like if set in 2021. Fantastic work today everyone, I really enjoyed hearing all your fun and creative ideas and you all had loads of amazing contributions to give. Fab work and I look forward to seeing your original front covers and blurbs! 🙂

Video to watch on growing up in 1910 (it’s only 2 mins long): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1stXRfEcjk&t=32s

Video of the Amazon rainforest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IzzogrKo6k

Video footage of a journey to Brazil in 1910: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrBFmW-JeZI

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      George
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Good afternoon, hope you have a lovely weekend!

I have attached my homework, Pleas check it!

Best wishes,

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Beautiful work George- the colours are amazingly vibrant and I love your depiction of the River Sea. You’ve placed the main character (Maia) centre stage which works really well in telling the reader what kind of story to expect. There are so many lovely intricate details in your drawing and I think this would be a fab alternative front cover. Your blurb is excellent- you have included suspense, ended the blurb in a cliff-hanger which makes the reader want to read on, and have described the central features of the plot wonderfully. I love the image of the house “looming” over her- this is a really effective way of describing how terrible Maia’s situation is. Lovely work, well done 🙂

thea
      Participant

Hi Beth,
      I hope you have had a lovely weekend
      here is Sanya’s homework
      Thank you

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Lovely work Sanya- your front cover is gorgeous and shows the reader lots of different details they can expect to find in the book. I love your drawing of Maia in her boat and think the way you have emphasised the importance of nature in the story is excellent. The colours you’ve used really leap off the page, allowing the reader to picture the scene vividly in their mind. Your blurb is also really great- I love that you have left the reader in suspense and told them they can only find out more if they read the book. You’ve also summed up the beginning of the plot wonderfully, thinking about the unfortunate series of events that lead Maia into her situation. Just watch that you stick to the same tense the whole way through (i.e. don’t mix past and present tense). Fantastic work and a gorgeous cover and blurb, really well done 🙂

Feite
      Participant

Hi Beth,

here is my homework.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Gorgeous work Feite, your feedback is attached 🙂

Attachments:
      YY123
      Participant

Hi Beth,

here is Jessica‘s homework.I am

so sorry,I am late.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Fab work Jessica, this is a lovely alternative cover. I love how you have put the River Sea at the heart of your drawing, emphasising its importance in the book. You’ve come up with some beautiful vibrant colours to catch the reader’s eye and make them want to read on. It also looks exactly like a real book cover does, with the cover spilling over onto the page with the blurb- fab! Your blurb is really good, I particularly love how you’ve ended on a rhetorical question which builds the suspense. You have given the perfect amount away, not revealing too much of the plot but giving away some intriguing details to hook the reader in. Just watch your grammar and spelling a little bit- for example ‘Mya’ should be Maia, ‘auther’ should be author and ‘a iPhone’ should be an iPhone. This is a wonderful piece of work- really well done 🙂

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 5

In today’s lesson we continued our work on Journey to the River Sea by Eva Ibbotson, diving a bit deeper into the themes and main ideas of the book. We began by continuing our work on the historical setting of the novel, with the students writing some beautiful modernised versions of the story thinking about how they could set it in the 21st century and what would change/ stay the same. We then completed our work on looking at theme and messaging in the novel, questioning what the common themes of literature are and then applying this to Journey to the River Sea. Finally we spoke about genre, talking about how multiple genres can exist alongside one another in the same book and giving our thoughts on why this book fits genres such as adventure, realistic fiction, fantasy, fairy-tale and even crime. Excellent work today everyone, you were all really energised and enthusiastic as per usual. Keep up the fantastic ideas and I look forward to seeing you soon 😊

Video on theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAu3e5GZo4k&feature=emb_logo

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      thea
      Participant

HI Beth,
      Here is Sanya’s homework
      Thank you 😀

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Fantastic work Sanya, your feedback is attached 🙂

Attachments:
      George
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Good afternoon, this is my homework.

Have a good evening!

Best wishes,

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Great work George, your feedback is attached 🙂

Attachments:
      YY123
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is Jessica‘s homewor.Many thanks .

Have a good evening.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Fantastic work Jessica, your feedback is attached 🙂 .

Attachments:
      Felix
      Participant

I think the moral of this book is don’t be rude to relatives that are new to you because the new relative might not like it or she might plan against you.To also support my idea ,Maia went to the twins but they bullied her.Luckily,they got what they deserved as they worked for Lady Parsons in England in the end of the book.In addition,Maia got treated fairly at the end of the story as she went back to the Mayfair Academy for Girls.The twins,Beatrice and Gwendolyn were rude to their distant relatives, but got what they deserved.Mr and Mrs Carter were rude too because Mr Carter went back for his box of eyeballs instead of Maia.He had lied that he was going to go back for Maia a but he went back for eyeballs. Maia (at the end of the story)was treated much better than the twins.

Beth
        Participant

Fab work Felix, your feedback is attached 🙂 .

Attachments:
      QianQian
      Participant

Please mark my work

Thank you!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Wonderful work QianQian, your feedback is attached 🙂

Attachments:
      Feite
      Participant

Hi Beth here is my home and hope you like it.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Great work Feite- your feedback is attached 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 6

In today’s lesson we completed our work on Journey to the River Sea, focusing on how to analyse quotations from the book itself. We started with a fun exercise changing the genre of the book and the class came up with some great ideas for different genres they could transform it to, ranging from horror to comedy to mystery! We then spoke about what learning some facts about the author could tell us about why she wrote the book, writing our own interview questions for her before reading a real-life interview she gave. Finally, we looked at analysing a quote from the book about children leading ‘big lives’ which the students discussed beautifully, connecting this to the themes of adventure and freedom in the book. They then chose their own favourite quotes from the novel and spoke about why they liked them so much. Amazing work today everyone- I really enjoyed hearing everything you came up with. Keep it up and I’ll see you next week for our next book 😊

Homework 

Homework

Attachments:
      thea
      Participant

Hi BEth
      HEre is my homework for this week
      SAnya

thea
      Participant

Sorry I don’t think it attached

thea
      Participant

Dear Beth
      Here is.sanyas homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Great work Sanya- your feedback is attached 🙂

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Oops I forgot to pop your spelling corrections on there! Here they are:

Attachments:
      George
      Participant

This is my work,hope you like it!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Wonderful work George,  your feedback is attached 🙂

Attachments:
      YY123
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is Jessica’s homework.Sorry it’s late.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Gorgeous work Jessica,  your feedback is attached 🙂

Attachments:
      Feite
      Participant

Hi Beth, here is my homework. Hope you enjoy it.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Stunning work Feite, your feedback is attached 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 7

In today’s lesson we began our work on A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning, thinking about what we liked and disliked about the book and trying to re-imagine the unusual introduction of the book. We spoke about the strange setting of the book, how it doesn’t fit into any one place or time but rather borrows influences from many different time periods and cities. Finally the class focused on the way Lemony Snicket writes, using reverse psychology to tempt the reader further into the world of the novel and frequently directly addressing the reader. They wrote some fantastic examples of their own Snicket-inspired introduction to the books playing around with the kind of language he uses and comparing this to another Snicket introduction from a book later in the series. Great work guys, well done, you all contributed loads of great ideas today. I’ll see you all next week and have fun coming up with your life-saving inventions for homework! 🙂

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Felix
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Sorry for delay in submitting Felix’s HW for lesson 6.

Thank you

Kind regards,

Yan

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Felix,

Gorgeous work today, your feedback is attached 🙂

Attachments:
      Felix
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please see attached for Felix’s homework for lesson 7.

Thank you

Kind regards,

Yan

Attachments:
      Felix
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please see attached for my homework for lesson 7.

Thank you

Kind regards,

Felix

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

This is a fantastic invention Felix- lovely work! Your drawing is excellent and I love your central idea and how you have thought about being resourceful with things found in nature. Your annotations are fab and you’ve really thought about the practical requirements of this invention (i.e., the wet sand being waterproof). You’ve used your scientific knowledge here fantastically! Gorgeous work and a beautiful drawing- well done! 😊

Feite
      Participant

Here is my homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Lovely work Feite, I love your inclusion of pictures to make it look like a real life survival guide and you’ve thought really well about the kinds of things necessary to somehow find or create on a desert island. I also think you’ve written the instructions that go alongside the pictures wonderfully, keeping them short and concise but also letting the reader know which are the most important to focus on. Great eye-catching colours too! Wonderful work, well done 🙂

George
      Participant

I so sorry I upload the homework late.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Wonderful work George, your feedback is attached 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 8

In today’s lesson we looked at the notion of author intent and how it is clouded in this book by the narrative voice of the story. We focused on the construction of Lemony Snicket by Daniel Handler, discussing what it adds to the book that Lemony Snicket is a pseudonym with an entire character profile behind him. The class did a fantastic hot-seating exercise where they interview each other about the book, thinking about questions to ask the author, and we then watched a real-life interview of Lemony Snicket. The class discussed why an author would use a pseudonym beautifully, thinking about examples from J. K. Rowling to George Eliot. Gorgeous work today everyone, keep it up and I’ll see you next week 😊

Lemony Snicket interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPr-Dk3pdNg

Homework

homq600

Attachments:
      YY123
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is Jessica’s homework.thank you

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Some fab work Jessica, your feedback is attached 🙂

Attachments:
      Feite
      Participant

Hi Beth

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Beautiful work Feite, your feedback is attached 🙂

Attachments:
      thea
      Participant
        Beth
        Participant

Lovely work Sanya, your feedback is attached 🙂

Attachments:
      George
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Please check my homework, hope you  have a lovely evening!

Best wishes,

George

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Oustanding work George, your feedback is attached  🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 9

In today’s lesson we completed our work on A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket, digging down into the nitty gritty of the novel. We began by thinking about the namesake of some characters in the book, considering why the author may have based the characters upon these historical and literary figures, and the class then came up with their own historical and literary figures to base characters on. We then spoke about genre, focusing on the notion of The Gothic and then playing around with what different genres would do to the plot and atmosphere of the story. Finally we completed some work on themes, the moral and what the story has taught each student, discussing ideas such as good vs evil, luck and trust, which the class did a wonderfully enthusiastic job of. Well done everyone, keep up the great discussion and creativity you’ve shown in these lessons and I’ll see you next week 🙂

Homework

Homewokr

Attachments:
      Isabella
      Participant

My favourite character is Violet Baudelaire because she is extremely inventive and tries to help people when she can like when she wanted to help Sunny but failed. She is also very friendly and polite.  I know this because it says: “Justice Strauss! How lovely to see you.”

Beth
        Participant

Lovely work Isabella, I really like your ideas on Violet’s character and what makes her tick! Your use of examples to back up your point is excellent and I love the quotation you’ve used to illustrate her personality. Could you dig even deeper into the relationship between Violet and Justice Strauss to examine why she responds so positively to her? Overall, gorgeous work- well done 🙂

thea
      Participant
        Beth
        Participant

Super work Sanya, your feedback is attached 🙂

Attachments:
      Feite
      Participant

Hi Beth Here is my homework

Feite
      Participant

Hi Beth, here is my homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Amazing work Feite, your feedback is attached :)</p>

Attachments:
          Beth
          Participant

Oops! This is meant to say: Amazing work Feite, your feedback is attached 🙂

George
      Participant

Dear Beth,

please check my homework, hope you have a lovely evening!

Best wishes,

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Brilliant work George, your feedback is attached 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 10

In today’s lesson we began our work on Anne of Green Gables, thinking about what we liked and disliked about the book and trying to imagine the setting of the novel as it would have been in 1908. We spoke about the life of the author, Lucy Maud Montgomery, and how the influences of her childhood can be seen in the story itself, before discussing just how autobiographical we thought the book was. We learned how the context of the early 1900s, thinking about how this book is set 6 years before WW1, 4 years before the sinking of the titanic and 2 years before the events of Journey to the River Sea. From this, the class wrote some gorgeous descriptive passages putting themselves in Montgomery’s shoes and envisaging the world of early 20th century Canada. Finally, we spoke about Montgomery’s writing process, thinking about how she drew inspiration from the people and events around her, and thought about how we could apply that to our own lives and writing. Wonderful work today everyone, really well done! Remember that we have two weeks until our next lesson so keep thinking about Anne of Green Gables and make sure you get a chance to finish the book if you haven’t and maybe even to watch the film. Have fun! 🙂

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      YY123
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is Jessica’s homework.Many

thanks.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Fab work Jessica, your feedback is attached 🙂

Attachments:
      Feite
      Participant

Hi Beth, hope you enjoy my homework

Attachments:
      Feite
      Participant

hope you enjoy my homework

Attachments:
      Feite
      Participant

Sorry for the other ones

Attachments:
      Feite
      Participant

Sorry

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Lovely work Feite, your feedback is attached 🙂

Attachments:
      George
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is my homework,please check it!

Best wishes,

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Gorgeous work George, your feedback is attached 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 11

In today’s class we continued our work on Anne of Green Gables, digging deeper into the events of the novel and thinking particularly about characterisation. We began by considering how the author creates immediate sympathy from the reader for Anne through her initial rejection by the Cuthbert’s, discussing why the author chooses to put Anne in such a difficult position and concluding that it makes the reader root for her character. We then spoke about character analysis, drilling into the key traits, motivations and role played by several characters in the novel and examining how we can analyse these ideas in order to make more sense of the novel and the author’s intentions. Finally, we completed a creative task using this as inspiration which the class did beautifully, really picking apart the key things about each character that holds them apart from one another. Great work today everyone, really well done. It was a joy to teach you all as always. Keep up the fab work and I’ll see you next week! 😊

Character analysis video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRhteCMgYoU

Homework 

Homework

Attachments:
      YY123
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Good morning,this is Jessica’s homework.

Many thanks

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Fantastic work Jessica- well done! I love that you have cut the paper to look like a comic strip and the way you have structued your re-telling of the story works wonderfully. You have picked a great series of events to tell through the medium of a comic and your pictures illustrate the events of the book beautifully. I really like that you have used the part of the novel that we studied in class as it gives it a fantastic new dimension to see it sketched out. Lovely work 🙂

thea
      Participant

Hi Beth
      Here is Sanya’s homework.
      Thank you
      🙂

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Amazing work Sanya- well done! You’ve thought really wonderfully about the moments you think are key to Anne’s development in the story and I really get the sense that you are tracing all the parts of the book where Anne grows into herself a little. I love your illustrations (particularly the final one which portrays the relationship between Anne and Diana beautifully) and think that you have used the comic book format gorgeously here. Your drawings are really intricate and paint the imagery of the book really nicely. Excellent work 🙂

Feite
      Participant

Please enjoy my homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hey Feite- I can’t open this file, would you be able to send me this in PDF or Word format? 🙂 Thanks!

Feite
          Participant

Hi Beth I changed it to word

Attachments:
            Beth
            Participant

Gorgeous work Feite- well done! I love the five important events or factors in Anne’s life that you have chosen to portray here and think they paint a really detailed image of the way in which she develops as a character. Your drawings are beautifully colourful and jump off the page at the reader. I also really like the idea about how Anne and Gilbert cement their relationship, demonstrating how both of them have grown and matured. One little improvement would be to make sure your pictures are connected to one event each to make the layout a little clearer. Overall, lovely work- well done 🙂

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 12

In today’s class we completed our study of Anne of Green Gables and finished our autumn reading course! We looked at ideas such as genre today, and the students wrote their own versions of the novel in a genre of their choice, ranging from sci-fi to fantasy to drama to adventure. We then spoke about what they would want to ask particular characters if they could, thinking about details they still want to learn from the book, before finishing with a reflection on the themes, messages and lessons to be learned from the story. Everyone worked gorgeously today and I was particularly impressed by the quality of their story writing. Well done guys- you’ve all done an amazing job today and for the past 12 weeks. Keep up the great enthusiasm and all the wonderful ideas you have. Have a lovely break for now and I hope to see you all soon :))

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      YY123
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Good morning,this is Jessica’s homework.

Many thanks

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Lovely work Jessica- you’ve thought of some great examples to back up your interpretation of the novel’s moral and have thought about the ways in which friendship is incredibly important in this story. I think the idea about Anne not giving up and eventually settling into her new life is a really good one- just remember that Marilla and Matthew grow to love Anne as much as she grows to love them so perhaps it’s not just about learning to live with people who don’t initially welcome you but also about the ways in which family can be created through love and perseverance. Overall, this is a lovely idea- well done 🙂

Spelling Corrections:

Used to

Matthew 

Cuthbert 

Beth
        Participant

P.S. I love the way you have thought about how Anne creates her own support network through characters such as Diana- this is a lovely way to think about her relationships in the book!

thea
      Participant
        Beth
        Participant

Fantastic work Sanya- well done! I love that you’ve thought about lots of different morals that exist within the story and how they interact with each other. The examples you have used to justify your ideas are spot on, and I really like your point about the different ways in which Anne comes to accept things about herself that she is initially self-conscious about. You have thought carefully about Anne’s journey and her personal growth and how this is reflected in her relationship with other characters- thinking about both the positives and negatives in her character and how these shape her. Could you even find some quotations from the book to back up your argument, like the lovely quotation you use about the name Cordelia being “romantic”? Overall, gorgeous work- well done 🙂

Corrections:

Anne of Green Gables (every word in a book title should start with a capital letter)

George
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Please check my homework, many thanks and have a lovely day!

Best wishes,

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Excellent work George- well done! I love your point about the ways in which Anne is able to prove people wrong when they underestimate her, and the idea that you should never give up just because other people don’t expect you to succeed. You’ve used some great examples from the book to argue this and have thought about the way this message can be interpreted by the reader to help inspire them in their own life. I particularly like your line that “no matter who you are, you must not give up hope”- I think that’s a gorgeous summary of the message of the story! Remember, the moral may be more about the fact that Marilla shouldn’t have judged Anne because she is a girl rather than the fact that Anne is lucky that Marilla and Matthew choose to keep her. Overall, fab ideas- well done 🙂

Viewing 77 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar