Reading-Year34-Mon(China)

Forums 2023 Winter Courses Reading-Year34-Mon(China)

Viewing 36 reply threads
  • Author
      VMWEdu
      Keymaster

Lesson Plan

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 1

In today’s lesson we began work on The Firework Maker’s Daughter, thinking today about the setting and genre. We began with a fantastic discussion on what the class did and did not enjoy in the novel before thinking about where it is set (Indonesia). We learned about Indonesia and its history and then moved on to thinking about how Philip Pullman had described this story as a fairytale, debating whether we agreed. Finally we watched a video by Michael Rosen outlining what a fairytale entails and the class came up with their own creative and innovative modern fairy-tales which were fantastic! Amazing work today class, well done for all your brilliant ideas and see you next week 🙂

Fairytale video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9UpmYwvLOY

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      chrisL
      Participant

She wanted to be a firework maker because she knows how hard it is and how beautiful it is. So she really want to be like her dad.

Beth
        Participant

Lovely ideas here Chris, well done! I really like your idea that she is so engaged with it because she sees both the hard work and the beauty that goes into it. I also think your point about her father is spot on too! To make this even better, could you use a quotation from the book to back up your ideas? Overall fab work well done 🙂

fionaw
      Participant

Because she really like it and she want to prove that to her dad that she can do the same work which her dad and other man can do. Also , if she going to be a firework maker, she can live with her dad still.

fionaw
      Participant

Because she really like it and she want to prove that to her dad that she can do the same work which her dad and other man can do. Also , if she going to be a firework maker, she can live with her dad still.

Beth
        Participant

Fab thoughts here Fiona, well done! I love your idea about it being about proving herself to be capable of the things that her father does, and how she wants to fight back against sexism too. I also love your point about her wanting to live at home still and how her talent makes that possible. To make this even better, could you give an example from the book to prove your point? Overall brilliant work well done 🙂

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 2

In today’s lesson we continued our work on The Firework Maker’s Daughter thinking about the hero’s journey and how we can map this onto the structure of the book. We learned about this literary structure before thinking about how it applies to Lila’s adventure. The class then created wonderful heroic characters of their own, imagining conversations between their characters and Lila from the book. Finally we transformed this into playscripts which the class did beautifully, thinking about how a play script differs from a book and digging deep into the relationship between the characters they had created and Lila. Well done everyone, great ideas today and see you after Chinese New Year! Have a great holiday 🙂

Hero’s Journey video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siulX5JkIwI

Script writing video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixppshnt_x0

Homework

hmwrj

Attachments:
      chrisL
      Participant

Scene 1- Grotto

Lights up, Lila stand down stage.

Lila sank to the floor. The earth shook. Flames licked out. Lila sat up.

Imps swarmed , lava spread from side to side, Razvanni appeard.

Razvanni: By what right have you come to my grotto?( Stared at Lila )

Lila: I want to be a firework maker.( Swallowed hard, nervous.)

Razvanni: You? Never! What do you want from me?(a great laugh.)

Lila: Royal sulphur.(scared)

Razvanni slap his side laughed.

Razvanni : Royal sulphur, did you hear that? Oh that’s good, that’s funny. Well speak girl, have you the three gifts?( Disdainful)

Lila shrug and shake her head.

Lila: I don’t know what they are.

Razvanni: So what were you going to exchange for the royal sulpher?(angry roar.)

Lala: I don’t know!(scared)

Beth
        Participant

Excellent work Chris, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 3

In today’s class we completed our work on The Firework Maker’s Daughter, thinking today about the characters, themes and big ideas in the book. We began by discussing whether we always thought Lila would succeed and moments in which we worried for her character, before writing a survival guide for her to bring on her journey. We then analysed the passage where she meets Razvani, digging into his character and coming up with interview questions for him. The class completed an excellent hot-seating task before finally playing around with the narrative perspective of the novel, imagining how Razvani would perceive Lila given all their work on understanding him. Wonderful work today class, particularly in the hot-seating exercise where you used your inference skills fantastically. Keep up the great work 🙂

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      chrisL
      Participant

She is brave but reckless.He didin’t listin to her dad, and gone by him self. but in the jerney, she became more sane.

Beth
        Participant

Nice work Chris well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Fiona
      Participant

She is a brave girl. She is strong-willed and kind to her friends. But she is impulsive and loose calm thinking.

Beth
        Participant

Lovely work Fiona well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 4

In today’s class we began with a historical take on our second book The Wild Way Home. The class began by evaluating their immediate thoughts and feelings on the book, which they did beautifully using some great examples to help argue their points. We then dug into the history of the Stone Age, thinking about using the class’s prior knowledge, ideas from the book, and notions from a BBC video to help us. The class did a great job on this- delivering some amazing descriptions of what it may have been like to have been alive at the time. Finally we analysed some different ideas about Stone Age living, before finally discussing where we would go if we could travel in time. Some fab ideas today everyone, well done for all your historical ideas and excellent time travel debate. See you next week 🙂

Stone Age video we watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWHCyyWCCLc

List of different genres: https://www.scholastic.com/parents/books-and-reading/raise-a-reader-blog/kid-friendly-guide-to-new-reading-genres.html

More genres to research: https://www.harpercollins.com/blogs/harperkids/childrens-book-genres

Homework

hnwrk

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Sorry guys I attached the wrong PPT to this- here is the right one!

Attachments:
      fionaw
      Participant

i think is a fantasy novels .because it  have supernatural phenomena, but not many, and many stories about the protagonist’s adventure .

Beth
        Participant

Fab Fiona, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      July
      Participant

Homework:        I think this book is a adventure novel because in the book it said many about the adventure of Charlie and Harby like ‘The dog growl deepens.I swallow, thinking of all the wild animals I saw in the cave paintings: there were no nice friendly dogs in the Stone Age, were there? My breath quickens. It’s is not a dog; it’s a wolf.’this paragraph said about the wolf that can kill Charlie, so I think it is a adventure novel.

Beth
        Participant

Great work July, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 5

In today’s lesson we continued our work on The Wild Way Home, thinking about some of the key ideas and themes within the book and how the author expresses these through the inclusion of the W. B. Yeats poem The Song of Wandering Aengus that she opens her novel with. We studied the Yeats poem, comparing its message and themes to those of the book, before reading an interview with the author where she discusses her reasoning behind her decision to use it to introduce her story. The class then wrote their own fantastic versions of a poem to open the story, thinking about the kinds of ideas they would want to communicate to the reader in order to set the scene. Some lovely ideas today class, particularly when thinking about your poetic interpretations of this story. Keep up the fab work 🙂

Poetry video we watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w8PLcYP0sU&t=47s

P.S. The Mandel Museum worksheet is attached below

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Sorry wrong PPT again! Here is the right one

Attachments:
      July
      Participant

Homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Lovely work here July- well done! I really like that you have considered the prehistoric context of the story and used this in the items you have chosen for your museum. There is a great selection of different ideas, playing around with themes of nature and history which is fab! Also, I really like the name of your museum too. To make this even better, could you describe the items a little to show what they look like? Overall great work well done 🙂

Spelling:

*leaves

*pieces of wood

*animal’s

chrisL
      Participant

Every one have times that we have to face diffecults in life, but the hard part is how can you go out of the bad mood,and do it again and again,or some times only trying to like the things you do.

Beth
        Participant

Wonderful ideas Chris, well done! I love your point about persevering in the face of difficulty and thinking about how to lift yourself out of a bad mood or situation and try to rise above. You also make a great point about trying to enjoy yourself along the way no matter the challenges you face. To make this even better, could you give an example of a moment in the book that proves this point? Overall fab work well done 🙂

Spelling & grammar:

*Everyone has times

*difficulties

*how you can get out of bad mood

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 6

In today’s class we completed our work on The Wild Way Home, focusing on character study and ideas around interpreting the novel creatively using various writing tasks. We began by discussing characters, thinking about the similarities and differences between key characters and what made certain characters the students’ favourites. We then moved on to the class creating their own characters who could fit into the world of the book, which they all did fantastically. Finally we did some close textual analysis on a passage from the book, discussing the semantic field of the extract and then creatively interpreting it from the perspective of the hunter characters. As a final activity, the class summed the book up in one sentence, interpreting the themes and thinking deeply about the message. Some great work today class, well done for all your fab ideas and contributions throughout. Remember to read Anne of Green Gables for next week 🙂

Map worksheet: https://cdn.literacytrust.org.uk/media/documents/TWWH_-_Map.pdf

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      July
      Participant

I think Charlie change in the end. She was been more brave and strong when she fight the fear in she’s heart.And she is learn that if anyone is brave enough to fight the dark, they could do any thing they want with there brave.

July
      Participant

I think Charlie change in the end. She was been more brave and strong when she fight the fear in she’s heart.And she is learn that if anyone is brave enough to fight the dark, they could do any thing they want with their brave.

Beth
        Participant

Wonderful work July well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 7

In today’s lesson we began our work on Anne of Green Gables, thinking about what we liked and disliked about the book and trying to imagine the setting of the novel as it would have been in 1908. We spoke about the life of the author, Lucy Maud Montgomery, and how the influences of her childhood can be seen in the story itself, before discussing Canada at this time and how it was different to our world today. We learned how the context of the early 1900s, and from this, the class wrote some gorgeous descriptive passages putting themselves in Montgomery’s shoes and envisaging the world of early 20th-century Canada. Finally, we spoke about Montgomery’s writing process, thinking about how she drew inspiration from the people and events around her and thought about how we could apply that to our own lives and writing. Fab work today class, I really enjoyed hearing all the sensory language you wrote in response to the descriptive writing prompt. Keep up the fantastic work and see you next week 🙂

Canada in history video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBUBzIcj4g8

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      xuanyu
      Participant

George L

Attachments:
      July
      Participant

I think this is the funny part: Marilla sent words to bring a boy, but Mrs. Spender didn’t send a boy, she sent Anne to Marilla.

Another funny part is when Marilla said good night, Anne didn’t know its meaning. Then, Anne said it can’t be a good night.

Beth
        Participant

Fab work July well done 🙂

Attachments:
      chrisL
      Participant

Marina wanted aboy to help her do things in the farm, but because she told the things by mouth, so Mrs Spender sent wrong. She sent a girl ,Anne to Marilla. Even though everything is wrong, but still ,Marilla kept the girl on her house.

chrisL
      Participant

Marina wanted aboy to help her do things in the farm, but because she told the things by mouth, so Mrs Spender sent wrong. She sent a girl ,Anne to Marilla. Even though everything is wrong, but still ,Marilla kept the girl on her house.

chrisL
      Participant

Marina wanted aboy to help her work on the farm, but because she let other people take the news , so Mrs Spender got the wrong messege. insted of a boy, she sent a girl —-Anne to Marilla. Even though everything is wrong, but still ,Marilla kept the girl on her house.

chrisL
      Participant

Marina wanted aboy to help her work on the farm, but because she let other people take the news , so Mrs Spender got the wrong messege. insted of a boy, she sent a girl —-Anne to Marilla. Even though everything is wrong, but still ,Marilla kept the girl on her house.

Beth
        Participant

Some great ideas Chris well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 8

In today’s class we continued our work on Anne of Green Gables, digging deeper into the events of the novel and thinking particularly about characterisation. We began by considering how the author creates immediate sympathy from the reader for Anne through her initial rejection by the Cuthberts, discussing why the author chooses to put Anne in such a difficult position and concluding that it makes the reader care about her character and condemn the sexism of the 1900s. We then spoke about character analysis, drilling into the key traits, motivations and role played by several characters in the novel and examining how we can analyse these ideas in order to make more sense of the novel and the author’s intentions. The class came up with some fantastic comparisons with other book characters too- amazing job everyone. Great work today class, thank you for all your patience today and hard work, it was great to see you all. See you soon 🙂

Character analysis video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRhteCMgYoU

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      July
      Participant

Comic

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Wonderful comic strip drawing July, well done! You have chosen some really important moments to depict and have illustrated them beautifully, communicating the emotions of the characters really well and using speech bubbles to bring them to life. I really enjoyed your use of colour to make the flowers pop out in the fourth image and thought your description of each important moment was really well written too. To make this even better, could you add some colour to more of the pictures at all? Overall fabulous work here well done 🙂

Spelling:

*Marilla sent word

*but there was only Anne

*first sees beautiful things

*spring comes to Green Gables

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 9

In today’s class we completed our study of Anne of Green Gables. We looked at ideas such as genre today, and the students wrote their own versions of the novel in a genre of their choice, ranging from fable to mystery to fantasy. We then spoke about what they would want to ask particular characters if they could, thinking about details they still want to learn from the book, before finishing with a reflection on the themes, messages and lessons to be learned from the story. Wonderful work today everyone, I really enjoyed the hot-seating you did in particular, amazing use of inference skills! See you next week for The Little Prince 🙂

Homework

whmr

Attachments:
      July
      Participant

I think the moral of the story was, after Anne crying, Marillia became friendly and helpful.I think Marillia helped Anne to got Anne’s confidence back, and Anne help Marillia thought about things that she care.

Beth
        Participant

Super work July well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 10

In today’s lesson we began our work on The Little Prince, thinking about the key ideas and themes explored in the book and evaluating the class’s response to the story. The students began by highlighting wonderfully the things they did and did not enjoy in the book before moving on to creating a semantic field that encapsulated the central motifs and ideas in the story. They then learned a little about the author and historical context surrounding the novel before completing a hot-seating exercise, using their inference skills to help answer questions from the perspective of the author. Finally, we analysed a passage from the beginning of the book, thinking about the message behind the first chapter and the notion of looking at the world through a child’s lens. Fab work today everyone- I particularly loved your hot-seating work which you completed amazingly! Keep up the great work, see you next week 🙂

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      July
      Participant

To: Little Prince

I will give you some advise if you decide to go to other planet.

First, maybe you can take along your rose! I know you don’t like her character, but she can let you be awake. And I hope you can think from her point of view and think from her character.

Next, be optimistic about every thing. Be optimistic is a good thing because you will be happy and will have more bravery to go forward.

Lastly, think from someone else’s point of view. this is a very good skills if you have fighting with someone else. For example, if you fight about someone about food, you can think from someone else’s point of view and know about other people are hungrier than you. And you can give them the food and find other food by your self.

Good intentions are rewarded on earth.

From,

Good Samaritan

Beth
        Participant

Outstanding work July, well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 11

In today’s lesson we continued our work on The Little Prince, thinking about the genre of the story and the subtle messages the author includes throughout. We began with some work on theme, analysing a passage from the story to get to the bottom of how the author uses themes of love, belonging and responsibility within the book through the symbol of the rose- the class analysed this beautifully, thinking carefully about the meaning behind the passage and their own personal feelings towards it. We then completed work on genre, identifying the genre of the story and playing around with switching it up, with the class writing some fantastic re-workings of the story with a new genre in mind. Wonderful work today everyone- I really enjoyed hearing your ideas about the way this story could be transformed into other genres. Keep up the great work 🙂

Video on theme that we watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY9AdFx0L4s

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      July
      Participant

I think the thing that you can’t see in your eyes but can see in your heartis love.Because when a person are like with you, maybe you don’t know when you look out hi or her. But you can know in your heart after some time because that person will be good to you.

Beth
        Participant

Wonderful July- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 12

In today’s class we finished our work on The Little Prince, thinking about characterisation in the novel and what we can learn from the different constructions of character throughout the story. We began with a mini class on character analysis and what elements of a character need to be considered, discussing elements such as their personality and challenges- which the students then applied to their own thinking. We then looked at learning moral lessons from characters, before the class completed a writing exercise thinking about putting themselves in the Little Prince’s shoes. Finally, we discussed tragedy, questioning the end of the book and its effect. Great work today everyone- brilliant creative letter writing I was super impressed by your ideas on this task! You’ve been wonderful to teach and I will see you for our first lesson of the spring course next week 🙂

Homework

hmwrk

July
      Participant

I think the author choose this way to end this book is because this can make readers to think many question like What will happen to the rose? or Why little prince end in this way?

July
      Participant

I think this ending effect many readers to think and discuss. This ending can also helped people to practice brainstorming because they can think of a million of possibility. Brainstorming also can make you think harder, and even notice details you didn’t see before.

Beth
        Participant

Stellar work July, well done 🙂

Attachments:
Viewing 36 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar