Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      VMWEdu
      Keymaster
      James
      Keymaster

Week 1 – 29/07/2021

Hi everyone,

Great week last week. It was fantastic to get to know everyone and I am very excited to work with you all.

As a recap, we worked on interview techniques for various personal questions which commonly come up in interviews and techniques to deal with them. In particular, we looked at

What is your favourite subject?

What subject do you find the most difficult?

Which subject do you like least, and why?

If you had to add one subject to the school curriculum, what would it be?

What is your favourite extra-curricular activity?

What’s your favourite book?

We’ll come back to these questions again in Lesson 3, so have a think about your answers and what we discussed as being good and/or improvable in each answer.

Next week we’re going to look at another broader topic which often comes up: “Current Affairs”. In preparation for this, please have a look at the following articles:

1. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58092234

2. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57797297

3. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-58090051

Try to think in each case about how you would frame or present each story; what makes it interesting? What’s your opinion on it?

See you tomorrow!

Best wishes,

James

James
      Keymaster

Week 2 – 5/8/2021

Hello again everyone!

Excellent week last week. As mentioned, the Prep for tomorrow’s lesson is to bring one (1) news story from the week that interested you and to be ready to present it to the class, as well as one (1) question that you think you might be asked at interview, and what you would give as an answer.

We are also going to go over some of the questions again from Week 1, so make sure you have your new answers and be ready to focus on speaking for a little bit longer.

Finally, we’re going to start the “debate” section of the course tomorrow. No need to do any preparatory reading for this, but the question we’ll be doing is:

Do you think schools should be allowed to teach a religion to their students? Why or why not?

Best wishes,

James

James
      Keymaster

Week 2 – 5/8/2021

Hello again everyone!

Excellent week last week. As mentioned, the Prep for tomorrow’s lesson is to bring one (1) news story from the week that interested you and to be ready to present it to the class, as well as one (1) question that you think you might be asked at interview, and what you would give as an answer.

We are also going to go over some of the questions again from Week 1, so make sure you have your new answers and be ready to focus on speaking for a little bit longer.

Finally, we’re going to start the “debate” section of the course tomorrow. No need to do any preparatory reading for this, but the question we’ll be doing is:

Do you think schools should be allowed to teach a religion to their students? Why or why not?

Best wishes,

James

James
      Keymaster

Week 3 – 12/2/2021

Hi everyone,

Excellent week last week. All your news story were appropriate and well-presented. Please do the same again for this week: bring one news story and prepare a 60-second discussion of why it is interesting, its context, and why you chose it.

We are going to briefly return at the start of the lesson to the questions from Week 1 (which can all be found above). Have a brief look over them and remind yourself of your answer. Remember that if you get confused, you can always say something along the lines of: “That’s an interesting question. Would you please give me a moment to think about it?”. The only words which are banned are “um”, “er”, and “I don’t know!”.

Finally, we will have a look at some pictures which often come up in interviews to discuss. You don’t need to research the photos, just have a look and think what you might say if you were asked about them!

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Best wishes,

James

James
      Keymaster

Week 4 – 19/8/2021

Great week last week for everyone. Next week we will have a similar class structure: everyone brings one (1) news story to the class (make sure it’s not about general crime or sport!) and explains why it was interesting, as well as one (1) possible interview question.

We will also return to:

1. What is your favourite subject?

2. What is your favourite extra-curricular activity?

Then we will do three photos. This week’s photos will be:

Photo 1

Photo 2

Artwork 1

Best wishes,

James

James
      Keymaster

Week 5  – 26/8/2021

Excellent work last week. Next week we will structure the class into three sections:

1.  Your favourite news story from the week and an interview question you think might be asked, and your answer to it.
      2. A debate on the topic: “It is moral to allow people to own animals? Should we ban zoos?”
      3. Photo 1
      4. A review of the Questions we didn’t get through last week, as well as “What is your least favourite subject and why?”

As usual, do Point 1 and think about a couple of arguments for Point 2 as a small bit of preparation for tomorrow!

Best wishes,

James

James
      Keymaster

Week 6 – 2/9/2021

Hello everyone!

I’m very sorry for the delay to our classes; I’ve been having a couple of family issues (nothing too serious!). The next session will be on Thursday 23 Sept.

Last week was very good. You’ve all become a lot better at answering “standard” interview questions that we discussed in Week 1 and your news stories are a lot more informative. Rather than picking a new news story this week, I’d like you to pick one that we’ve previously discussed or you have previously chosen and try to learn more about it; everyone will be encouraged to ask each other questions to see how deep your knowledge is!

We will also do a debate on whether school and university should prioritise STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) or humanities (e.g. English, history, classics, modern languages). I’d like you all to focus on why humanities are worthwhile; a good link to consider is here:

https://idebate.org/debatabase/culture-arts-education-university/house-believes-degrees-creative-arts-are-luxuries.

We will finish up with a perfection of the question: “What is your least favourite subject and why?”.

Best wishes and my apologies again for the delay,

James

James
      Keymaster

Week 7 – 23/09/2021

Hi everyone,

Great work last week. I know it’s not the most enjoyable activity in the world to answer questions we’ve done before but you all did excellently and your answers are now very polished.

As discussed in class, next week please bring the same news story as last week and read four (4) new articles on it. As this week, I will encourage you to ask other students questions about the news story. Make a particular effort to explain why the story is interesting – what other questions does it raise, or what big issues does it intersect?

We will also debate: Should we ban boxing or allow it? Have a small think about some of these ideas:

1. Why do we generally ban violence against others in society?

2. Can you validly agree to be hurt by somebody else? Should you be able to and, if so, under what circumstances?

3. Are there other reasons to/not to ban boxing? Does it encourage/glorify violence more generally?

This debate is designed to improve your skills and ability to express your opinions!

Best wishes,

James

James
      Keymaster

Week 8 – 30/9/2021

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all well. Great week last week – you are all getting the hang of answering the interview questions, which is great.

This week I would like everyone to do a bit of research on one topic: the recent fuel shortages. Please come to class ready to discuss this; consider what/who is to blame and why this has occurred, as well as the downsides (and any possible upsides) to it. I won’t give you any links as I would like you all to do your own research!

In addition, I’d like us to run over a couple more photo/picture questions:

1. Here: This image is taken in Selma, a famous civil rights march in the United States. Do a little bit of research and tell me about it!

2. Here: who is this? What do you think of the image?

Finally, we will do a quick debate. This week’s is: THBT Religion Has Done More Harm Than Good.

Best wishes and good luck!

James

James
      Keymaster

Week 9 – 07/10/2021

Hi everyone,

Great week last week. Good to see everyone progressing and I thought the debate this week showed excellent improvement. Next week the plan will be:

1. Why do you want to apply to this school? (Think about the schools you’re applying to; what are their attributes that are notable? If you don’t know, we can work on it together and think about how you would build an answer).

2. “Are there any questions you have for me about the school?” Often asked at the end of interviews by interviewers; think about an answer you do want to know about any school!

3. What do you want to do in the future?

We will also do a debate:

Should teachers be paid according to how well their students do?

https://idebate.org/debatabase/economy/employment-education/house-would-pay-state-school-teachers-based-merit

We will also have a chat about minor details of interviews: eye contact, handshakes etc.

See you next week!

James

James
      Keymaster

Week 10 – 14/10/21

Hi everyone,

Great week last week; after 10 lessons, you have all made excellent progress. Next week we will do two things:

(1) Go through some more common questions. I won’t tell you what they are today as I’d like them to be a surprise and to get you to think on your feet!

(2) We did not do last week’s “debate-style” question so:

https://idebate.org/debatabase/economy/employment-education/house-would-pay-state-school-teachers-based-merit

If we have time at the end, I will split the class into pairs so you can all practice answering questions from other students.

Best wishes,

James

James
      Keymaster

Week 1 – 21/10/21

Great work last week everyone. Some excellent answers to common questions and thank you very much for everyone who contributed examples of questions they had previously been asked! We will have a similar structure for the lesson next week:

1. Common Questions

Have a think about what you think a common question would be at interview and pick two to bring to class. The more imaginative the better!

2. Current Affairs

Please everyone bring one news story from the past week to the lesson and be prepared to discuss it in class. I usually find it easiest to pick something off http://www.bbc.co.uk/news ; please do not pick anything about: sport, violent crime, gaming!

3. Debate

As we didn’t get to the debate last week, please refresh your memory on:

Best wishes,

James

James
      Keymaster

Week 2 – 28/10/21

Hello everyone!

Sorry for the delay in uploading this; very well done last week. For tomorrow, please ensure:

(a) You have thought of another “common question” that might be asked at interview.

(b) One news story from the past week that you found interesting; same rules as before, and please remember to do the: Who? What? Where? How? of the story!

(c) You practice in front of the mirror (twice!) your answers to each of the following questions:

– Why do you want to go this school?

– What are your greatest strengths?

– What is your favourite subject and why?

Best wishes,

James

James
      Keymaster

Week 3 – 4/11/2021

Great week this week; you are all doing very well at improving your interview skills!

We will follow what by now should be a familiar pattern; bring an interesting news story and one (1) common question at interview. We have a few more to work through this week.

Please make sure your news story is thoroughly researched: who, what, where, when, how, why, and what makes this news story interesting? Why have you picked it?

We will also handle the following questions, so have a go at preparing them:

1. Tell us about a time when you were disappointed or embarrassed.

2. Why is it important to study history?

Best wishes,

James

James
      Keymaster

Week 4 – 11/11/2021

Hi everyone,

Sorry for delay in posting this and for last week’s lack of session! Next week will follow a similar structure to previous weeks:

1. Please bring one news story to present to the class and be prepared to ask questions to other students about their news story. Do not forgot the basic questions: who, what, when, where, and how? Also, be ready to say why you thought that story in particular was interesting.

2. One question you think they might ask at interview! You have all been very good at this so far.

3. This week we are going to spend half the session looking at a debate topic. As we didn’t get to do it in Week One, we will do the following:

We may also do (but you do not need to prepare for):

Should we have school uniforms?

Best wishes,

James

James
      Keymaster

Week 5 – 25/11/21

Great week last week and apologies for this delayed update.

As last week, similar structure:

1. Bring one news story from the week and present on it!

2. Think of one new interview question; if you had an interview this week (which others in group are not also doing!) we can discuss questions and how we might answer them.

3. Prepare to debate the question: Should we have school uniforms? I will probably split you into two groups of four at some stage so you can each take the role of headmaster/interviewee and I will make some notes.

Best wishes,

James

James
      Keymaster

Week 6 – 9/12/21

Great week last week. As always, similar structure:

1. Bring one news story from the week for presentation. Please ensure this one is thoroughly prepared and you have not looked it up five minutes before!

2. Bring one question they might ask at interview. You can now be a bit more creative with these.

3. We are going to debate the topic: We Should Prioritise STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths) over Humanities (Languages, English Literature, History, Geography) in our School.

Best wishes,

James

James
      Keymaster

Week 7 – 16/12/21

1. Bring one news story from the week for presentation. Please ensure this one is thoroughly prepared and you have not looked it up five minutes before! Repeating this as some of you had done this last week which makes me sad 🙁

2. Bring one question they might ask at interview. You had some very good ones last week; I will also bring a few more.

3. We are going to debate the topic: Is Space Exploration Important? A couple of you may have done a similar topic with me before – do not worry if so as we are going to work on how you might present the answer and respond to challenges by an interviewer.

Best wishes,

James

James
      Keymaster

Week 8 – 23/12/21

1. Bring one news story from the week for presentation. Please ensure this one is thoroughly prepared and you have not looked it up five minutes before! This week, try (if you can) to find a political one.

2. Bring one question they might ask at interview. You had some very good ones last week; I will also bring a few more, as per last week.

3. Since we did not cover it last week due to insufficient time at the end of the lesson, we are going to debate the topic: Is Space Exploration Important?

Best wishes,

James

James
      Keymaster

Week 9 – 30/12/21

Excellent week last week. Very well done to all. As usual, the structure will be:

1. A question an examiner could ask.

2. One news story that has interested you this week. Please put extra effort into this as we are now approaching “interview season”; you may very well decide that this will be the story you talk about in real interviews!

3. We will do some quick-fire debates on common issues including:

Should schools be single-sex or co-ed?

Should you be able to vote for your headmaster/headmistress?

Best wishes,

James

James
      Keymaster

Week 10 – 6/1/2022

Great week this week. For those continuing, we will continue with the model:

1. One question that the examiner could ask. We are going to do a refresher on commonly asked questions for those who are new to the class. Please practice your “Why do you want to go to this school?” answers!

2. One news story from the week that you could use as an answer to “What have you found interesting in the news lately?”

3. A quick presentation (30 seconds) on your favourite book. This should not be Harry Potter or any book involving spies or explosions!

Best wishes,

James

James
      Keymaster

Week 1 – 20/1/2022

Well done this week! For next week’s class (i.e. this evening), we will follow a similar structure:

1. One question that the examiner could ask. If you’ve been to an interview recently (and the school is no longer interviewing any other students), you can bring a question from there. We will also discuss what each student thinks they have done well/could improve on in previous interviews.

2. Some more “left-field” questions – prepare for the unexpected!

3. Some “teamwork” exercises; schools often put you in groups together to see how well you collaborate with others. We’ll discuss what schools are looking for and then practice it!

Best wishes,

James

James
      Keymaster

Week 2 – 3/2/22

Another good week. Tonight:

1. One question that could be asked (or a discussion of how your interview went)!

2. Some left-field questions

3. A mystery team-building exercise like last week’s!

Best wishes,

James

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar