Viewing 68 reply threads
  • Author
      VMWEdu
      Keymaster
      Marnie
      Participant

Today’s (19/09/2020) power point on Diary Writing! 🙂

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Marnie
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 1:

-Today, we discussed diary writing. The girls all had really interesting, independent and thoughtful ideas- it was a pleasure to share our thoughts! The power point is attached here as a PDF with the homework details on the penultimate slide- the last slide has a few picture prompts, although I think everyone has their own ideas forming by now! Remember to not outline the whole story in the diary entry/entries- these pieces of writing can be a selective ‘day in the life’, but needn’t be too long and descriptive. The power point outlines important techniques within how to keep a diary entry personal and different from a traditional fiction story too. The power point also has an extract from Anne Frank’s diary, in case students would like to remind themselves on style. (However, Pepys’ diary is less useful here as it is more of a historical example).

Well done for today. everyone! I’m impressed by how imaginative you all are- keep it up!:)

Attachments:
      Yuexi
      Participant

Dear Ms Marnie:

Please find my homework attached.
      Best regards,

Yuexi

Attachments:
        Marnie
        Participant

Hi-

I’ve attached your work with my comments and feedback- good work this week Yuexi! I can’t wait to see what you write next 🙂

Attachments:
      Candice
      Participant
        Marnie
        Participant

Hi Candice-

Attached is your writing with my comments and feedback- good work this week, and I am very interested to read what you write next time!:)

Attachments:

Weiya’s homework, thank you!

Attachments:
        Marnie
        Participant

Hi Weiya-

Thank you for your diary entry- attached is your work with my comments. Well done for this week, and I’m excited to read your next piece of writing!:)

Attachments:
      SofiaL
      Participant

Dear diary:
      Hi, it’s been a very miserable day. I came home finding a pile of invitations on my door mat. I picked them up. I quickly changed my shoes and pulled myself on to the sofa. I opened the first invitation it said “Laura is calling you to the party next Tuesday” The second invitation is a very spooky one. It jumped from my hand and start talking in a mysterious voice

‘Dear Olivia-Sofia

I am very excited to tell you that you are invited to the Brarrton family’s smallest son Eddie’s 21death day! The Brarrtons is in 45 Porty lane 12 Eilonson street. At last I want you to be prepared, because you are going to face a scary challenge. At last don’t forget the key!’

I reached deep of the envelope with a fear. I touched something cold, very cold indeed, I pulled it out nervously. It was a pair of keys.

I put my jacket and scarf on, unpacked my backpack with two jam sandwiches, ten slices of ham, four bottles of water. A t-shirt a jumper, three under pants, and four underpants and socks each.

‘I am ready!’ I said to myself. Then I walked throw the yellow orange leaves and finally there. My first impression of the house was hunted. It had a wide garden, and a white blocked gate. I pushed the gate open and walked slowly touching the column. ‘We’ve been expecting you’ said a guy with very pale face he is scary I told myself. He let me in. there were music that almost made me cry, and movies that made me burst in to tears. ‘Where is my bedroom?’ I asked pretending I am tired which I was so there is no need to pretend. ‘There in the corner which said guest’ said the pale guy. I walked suspiciously to my ‘bedroom’.

My mind is going to explode now of scary and mysterious things, so bye diary.

Your nervous afraid friend Sofia

Marnie
        Participant

Hi Sofia-

I’ve attached your diary with my feedback and comments- some lovely writing here, and see you tomorrow morning! 🙂

Attachments:
      Vivienne
      Participant

Dear diary,

Today has been full of suprises. At 06:30 am I was woken up by the alarm that my mum has set for me, that alram goes on forever!!! I went to school yeah nothing very suprising there. BUT THEN! My teacher made an important anouncemnt she said, ” We will be going to school on this SUNDAY!, the holiday on Sunday will be moved to your holidy on October 12th so then an holiday that lasts for EIGHT days.” She said that as if it was a good thing (its not)

(time skip)

Its now 09:20 its time for our first calss (also one of my favourites) MATHS!!!!! For some reason our theacher is late, I ask one of my friends, Chen Jinghao (陈京浩), “Why is our teacher late?” He didn’t reply so I also kept quiet after then.

At lunch time, I was reading when y teacher called my name, I was so suprised when she said that I have got the most marks in the whole year!!!!!! And even better ( if thats posibble ) I don’t have to do today’s homework!

A few other thing happened but i’m not ganna say what, I had a great day at school today  and got to eat a delicious cake.

Your jolly friend Turisa.

Vivienne
      Participant

Dear diary,

Today has been full of suprises. At 06:30 am I was woken up by the alarm that my mum has set for me, that alram goes on forever!!! I went to school yeah nothing very suprising there. BUT THEN! My teacher made an important anouncemnt she said, ” We will be going to school on this SUNDAY!, the holiday on Sunday will be moved to your holidy on October 12th so then an holiday that lasts for EIGHT days.” She said that as if it was a good thing (its not)

(time skip)

Its now 09:20 its time for our first calss (also one of my favourites) MATHS!!!!! For some reason our theacher is late, I ask one of my friends, Chen Jinghao (陈京浩), “Why is our teacher late?” He didn’t reply so I also kept qiuet after then.

At lunch time, I was reading and my teacher called me up to tell me I have achien=ved the highest mark in the year in the maths competition!

Today has been great.

Your jolly friend Turisa

Dear diary,

today Icame home and foound that none wasin the house, when I stepped in the the house, I nothices that some o the floorboards have some specks of paint on them I ignore them. I went to every room in the house to find my mum but she just wasn’t there, neither my mum or sister. I was to lazy to search the garden and I knew that they would not bbe there because it is full of spiders and worms. I allowed myself to fall down into a hair and peal som oranges for me. Then I fell asleep.

When I woke up I found myself back in bed. Was it all adream or…what? I not very sure I think It might be dream but I just felt so realistic!

Your Unsure friend Turisa

Marnie
        Participant

Hi Tongtong,

I’ve attached your diary with my feedback and comments- good work and see you tomorrow morning! 🙂

Attachments:
      Marnie
      Participant

Today we talked about onomatopoeia! The girls were enthusiastic and came up with some really interesting examples and well-constructed thoughts- it was a delight to work with you all again! Onomatopoeia can be a tricky technique to understand fully first time round, but everyone had a good understanding by the end- remember, if there are any more questions, I’m very happy to answer them if they’re written at the bottom of your homework 🙂 The homework is also written out on the powerpoint, and you can find this on the penultimate slide. I would like to see several examples (around 5-10!) of onomatopoeia in your short action scene- remember to use the last slide for help if you get stuck for ideas. Great work today, and have a lovely week!

Attachments:
      Isabella
      Participant

One scorching day, a little boy named Percy was playing basketball on the patio. BUZZ, a bee went up his nostril! POP, percy exploded! SPLASH! He fell into the Spalas sea. HOOT, an owl swooped over him. BUBBLE, something was approaching from under the sea. An ugly sea creature emerged under the sea. It had a long thin body, and tiny red beady eyes. “Oh well, that’s not so bad, it’s just a rat snake monster”, said Percy calmly. “Wait a minute, rat snake monsters are one of the most dangerous sea monsters!”. “HELP!” Percy screamed. BOOM BANG lasers shot from the monster’s eyes. “EEK”, he dodged a flashing laser that was as bright as the glowing sun. Suddenly, Percy saw a pirate ship, so he swam as fast as his arms and legs could carry him. “Fire!” shouted someone on the ship. “WHIZZ BOOM” bombs exploded into flaming sparks. “What a close one!” whispered Percy. “What you are doing there matey?”, asked a pirate, who was bold. He had eyes as green as grass and wore huge leather boots. “Parly”, said Percy. “What does that mean?” asked the pirate puzzled. “Well, it means someone wants to talk to the captain of the ship”, Percy explained. “Ok, if you must”, said the pirate nervously. “STOMP, HOOT, WOOF” there is a huge sound near the pirate ship. “What is that?”, shuddered Percy. I am captain Greenback, the captain of the Cuttles. This is my owl and my dog. “Hahaha”, laughed Percy. “What’s so funny?” confused captain Greenback. “A pirate captain should have a parrot, not a dog or an owl.”, explained Percy chuckling. “How dare you!”, cried the captain, “pirates, tie this idiot up and make him walk the plank.” “Aye aye captain”, said the pirate. So he tied Percy up and simply pushed Percy off the ship. BUZZ the same bee flew out of his nostril and he landed on the soft grass in his backyard. What an adventure exclaimed Percy. “Woof, woof, hoot, hoot” He went back home to tell his parents about his adventure.

Marnie
        Participant

Hi Isabella,

Attached is your writing- really good work! I enjoyed reading this a lot- well done, and see you on Saturday 🙂

Attachments:
      Yuexi
      Participant

The Camper Bug

A little firefly called Lili wants to camp in the forest beyond the city.One day,Lili packed up everything she have to use on a long journey:a fire rock,a tent,different clothes to wear in different seasons and some more stuffs. Klanck! Oops,before Lili went,she accidentally broke her cup,so she cleaned it up with a broken branch.When she finally finished,she looked at her clock and then it’s beeping tik,tok,tik,tok.”Time to go.”Lili said to herself.Full of exitment,she flew down into the street,”where’s the taxi?”Lili muttered and walked in the empty street,it’s dark outside,so she turned up her magic light,ding.Swoosh.Just then,a shape went very fastly,Lili followed,the shadow was becoming bigger and bigger,so Lili sat on it.”I can’t believe I was so lucky!It was a taxi that was waiting for me,just for me!”Lili wispered as the gets smaller and smaller, then a forest appeared infront of her,Lili flew into the woods.The shadow disappeared after she got off it.
      “It’s late night”Lili said and she had found a gigantic hole to sleep in,she slid inside,swash.Outside, the wind shooked the trees ssssshhhhhh,as if it was telling her to be quiet at night.Lili took out the fire rock and was frictioning it with other rocks,screeeeech.The woods caught fire and burned.Lili ate caterpillar fruit in silence,the fruit was sweet and yummy,she loved it.In midnight,after dinner and cleaning it up,Lili slept next to her night fire,it burned quietly.
      The next morning,Lili made the fire again but it made a different sound,kkksss.Lili ate some leftover caterpillar fruit and some gold-berries.After breakfast,Lili packed up every that belongs to her and start to leave.The texi was not there so Lili flew home by herself.It took a day for Lili to go home because a city was tremendous for a firefly to travel around,so by the time Lili got home,it was night already…After Lili got home,she put all her stuff on the table,clanck,and started to sort them out…after she finished,she went straight into bed.
      Today and yesterday were so much fun and I think I am going to do it again when it is hotter,Lili thought,lying in her bed,I really like the forest,too.Lili thought for a moment,closed her eyes and fell asleep.

Marnie
        Participant

Hi Yuexi,

Great work this week- very well done!! Attached is your work with comments. See you on Saturday 🙂

Attachments:
      SofiaL
      Participant

‘Quick, run! Find a settlement’ yelled king Alfred. It was a cloudy autumn day in 850AD and the Vikings had attacked the last time. King Alfred can see the gray clouds moving fast above his head, he can hear the yelling and shouting from the Vikings’ army, he can smell the sweat, he can fell the atmosphere of fear and nervous. ‘Come on buddies. We got to fight! Fight, fight, fight!’ yelled the Viking army. The Anglo Saxons wanted to fight against their opponents, but in addition to the Vikings, the Anglo Saxons were like rats to step on. ‘Argh! Argh! Argh!’ Bellowed the Vikings ‘We have to fight back, Anglo Saxons!’ yelled king Alfred in fear.

‘Kasha!’

‘Bong’

‘Huasha Huasha’

The rain called, the wind blew, the thunderstorm called.
      It was raining hardly outside, in King Alfred’s heart it was raining more hardly. In king Alfred’s view the Vikings were a wild, fierce, hard to fight army.

The Anglo Saxons went on the boat. The Vikings were too hard to fight against to, facing these hard problems king Alfred felt like crying, he forced himself on the boat too…

So, the ending, as you predicted: The Vikings invaded Britain in the fear of King Alfred the unready and the bravery of the Vikings!

Marnie
        Participant

Hi Sofia-

Lovely work this week! I’ve attached a marked copy which I really enjoyed reading. See you on Saturday! 🙂

Attachments:

The haunted house on Halloween Night

Written by Weiya

On a windy Saturday night, I was going trick or treating, on the way  I saw a blurry house on a bumpy hill. I walked up nervously and slowly, I took out my shaking hands from my coat’s pocket and anxiously knocked at the old, rusty door. No one responded so I pushed it open EEK, SCREECH, I cautiously tiptoed inside to see if anyone was inside, suddenly the door BOOM and shut by itself.

The hollow room was dark, dirty and full of cobwebs.I turned on my torch, the scary shadows on the wall made me quite a fright. On the shelves there were lots of old magic books and different colours liquidly in different sizes of jars. There was a snoring ginger kitten sleeping on a ripped, broken armchair. I thought this is definitely a witch’s house.

Suddenly I heard some footsteps and a howling sound coming my way. Right away I turned off my torch. CRASH, CLATTER something knocked off the glass furniture.Then my eyes widened, I saw a ugly witch with a crooked wand, wearing pink slippers and has evil green skin. Next to the witch, there is a small bleeding zombie with knobbly green skin and bandages wrapped around it, there was also an invisible ghost with a very low voice OOOOH…

Then the evil witch said she sensored someone alive in this room, I knew she meant me. Then the lazy zombie wanted a snooze on the armchair but he didn’t see the cat, so he sat down, BIONG they both flew up towards the ceiling. The angry kitten scratched him,  that’s why he was always bleeding and wrapped in bandages. Whilst the witch was trying to rescue the zombie, I silently creeped out, did they notice me? That is another chapter.

Marnie
        Participant

Hi Weiya,

Attached is your marked work from this week. I really liked the story here- very well done! See you tomorrow 🙂

Attachments:
      Candice
      Participant
        Marnie
        Participant

Great work, Candice! I really enjoyed reading this and have attached a marked copy of your work 🙂

Attachments:
      Marnie
      Participant

Really well done today, everyone! We had some fascinating discussions on the Fairy Tale, as well as its origins, themes and why adults should also read them. I have attached the PowerPoint from the lesson- the three final slides include all the details for this week’s homework. I would like you to write a summary of your own, invented fairy tale, OR, you can write me a short fairy tale. Either is great- if you know that your fairy tale is a little complicated, I would recommend writing a summary, instead of trying to squeeze it into a short fairy tale 🙂 Remember to look at the last slide from the PowerPoint if you get a little stuck for ideas! Your work should be around 300-350 words long- I can’t wait to read them!

Attachments:
      Candice
      Participant
        Marnie
        Participant

Good work this week, Candice! Attached is your fairy tale:) See you on Saturday!

Attachments:
      Vivienne
      Participant
      Vivienne
      Participant

Matt and Mitt
      This story of the twins Matt and Mitt lies in a village where all can be seen..  “Look father!!!! I learnt how to fly!” cried Matt.                                                            “Shut up! You know that is the simplest form of magic?” leered Mitt.

Matt and Mitt were twins but look different in almost every way…                          Matt told Mitt, ” I look much better than YOU! I have short, golden, curly hair, I also have deep sparkling blue eyes! Unlike you…”                                                      Mitt carried on his sentence, “Unlike I, who has long, black, straight hair and silver misty eyes. You stupid person!”                                                                              See? These people are very different from almost every way. They are the son and daughter of Evil and Kind. Evil, otherwise known as Evie, who was the queen of Evilness, the evil one in the twins was unsurprisingly Mitt. Kind, otherwise known as Kimichi was the king of Kindness, the kind one in the twins was Matt. This family was a very rich, big and most importantly happy!

Oh, and I think I should introduce you to the different types of magic around the village…

Onsein: Basic magic, includes flying, water-ball, wind, light.

Ukien: Medium level magic, includes fire-ball and potions.

Elikian: Hard level magic, includes lightning, sunshine, moonlight, star powder and most importantly people-controlling.

Ok, let’s start the real story…..

Once upon a time (as all story starts) there lived the twins of kind and evil, Mitt who was evil and Matt who was kind. It all started when Mitt was outside playing with her new power, fireball. On one of her shots, she accidentally missed the animal and the fire-ball hit Matt. “AHHHHHHHHHH!” cried the echo of him in the mountains it eventually died away….. but EVERYONE heard him and came to the Sikien Mountain.                                                                                                                              “Oh my!” panted Kind as he saw Matt’s body lying on the ground, he quickly whispered, ” ptufnxjwkd ( putuf-nixjowkud ),” and Matt healed.                                                                     “What happened?” he was unsure of why frogs are kneeling next to him, “Why are all the frogs of our kingdom around me?”                                                                                 “They are not frogs, they are the people of our kingdom! Oh my! You are seeing hallucinations! Quick, Dr Jordian, help my dying son! What caused this?”            “Its caused by a fire-ball shooted by someone from the Evil side in the family, if what I’m thinking is correct, Mitt threw it” guessed the doctor.                               Now let’s talk about Mitt, she was frozen after she threw the fireball, it has been a while and her black hoodie and jeans are now grey. If she isn’t saved in five minutes then she will become white for the rest of her life. Luckily, Mitt’s mother, Evie was walking by and saw the frozen Mitt, she saved Mitt with the spell ‘oesljdfxzmhjn ( osilisfixuzihum)’                                                                                             “Mitt, my darling what happened to you?” shouted Evie.                                                  “I-I-I-I-I shot Matt with my new fireball!” replied Mitt and she flew away…

Dear Mother (Evie Cortex)

I am very sorry that I hit Matt, I am well and alive in a faraway city with my cousin Bella L. Don’t try and find me mother.                                                                  I will come back when I know our Village needs ME!

From Mitt

That was the last of Mitt uuntillllll, THE SECOND WORLD WAR.

Marnie
        Participant

Attached is a marked copy of your work- well done, Tongtong, I really enjoyed this! See you on Saturday 🙂

Attachments:
      Yuexi
      Participant

Here is my homework.

Thanks a lot!

Yuexi
      Participant

Here is it.😂

Attachments:
        Marnie
        Participant

Attached is your fairy tale- good work, Yuexi! See you tomorrow morning 🙂

Attachments:
      Isabella
      Participant

Once upon a time, there was a girl called Chloe who was 6 years old. She had dark black hair, big blue eyes and has a hamster named Tasha. She dreamed about magical adventures all day long. One day, she was playing in her backyard with Tasha. Suddenly, she heard a voice. “come to me, come to me”, it said. Chloe froze. “Who are you?” said Chloe nervously. “I am thin, bumpy and old. I have spent 10 years in your garden. Guess what I am?“ Chloe looked around the garden and tried to figure out the answer. “Is it the red and golden carpet?” She asked curiously. “EXACTLY!” said the carpet. “My name is Pippa and I am a magic carpet”. Chloe was amazed because she never knew magic carpets existed. Pippa went on saying “I need your help desperately for a very important mission. And you cannot tell anyone else about this. Are you able to help me?” “Yes, of course I will. It’s been my dream to go on magical adventures.” Said Chloe without hesitation.

“Hop onto me and I will explain the quest on the way.” Said Pippa. Chloe hopped onto the carpet. A wormhole appeared in front of them, it was shimmering with rainbow colours. Chloe had her mouth hang open and she was amazed by this. Pippa carried Chloe through the wormhole and entered into another world. Pippa explained that they had to rescue Henry who is the maker of the magic carpet in 1 hour. Or he would be killed by the Normans who are evil magic carpets. The Normans wanted to defect all rainbow carpets and take over the world! To rescue Henry, they needed to find the key that locks Henry. When Pippa and Chloe arrived at the prison where Henry is held. They tried to find the key everywhere. But they were trapped when getting close to the real key. It was bait set by the Normans. They were trapped in a cell and time was running out. Then Chloe felt something was moving in her pocket. It was Tasha, She had been in her pocket the whole time! Chloe pointed to the real key and Tasha quickly fetched the real key for her. They rushed towards Henry to free him. They managed to rescue Henry and flee from the prison successfully.

Pippa took Henry and Chloe back to Henry’s home. A lot of magic carpets were waiting for Henry anxiously. Everyone was so happy to see Henry safely returned. And they all thanked Chloe and Tasha for their help.

Marnie
        Participant

Attached is a marked copy of your fairy tale- good work, Isabella! See you tomorrow morning 🙂

Attachments:

Once upon a time, there lived  a magical princess called Emma, she was from a little tribe of mermaids who lived in the quiet river that flowed through the cerise forest. One evening, she was floating with the waves to see the beautiful sunset. Then something caught her attention, it was someone crying, she looked around and  saw a young dragon Sniffles sitting on the edge of the forest and his arms were covering his face just like he was crying.

Emma swam towards him.” Hello little fellow, are you okay?’’

“No, a nasty witch flew past my house and destroyed it with no reason, she is such a MURDEROUS person! Now our house is broken into pieces, my mummy and daddy are busy collecting wood to make another home for us.’’ he sobbed.

“I know how you feel, should I help you? ‘’ Emma asked.

‘’Yes, please! Let’s go’’.

Emma muttered some words with magic then turned herself into a human. Little Sniffles led the way into the centre of the forest. The deeper they went the darker the forest grew.  Suddenly he saw the frightful witch flash across the sky, he was quaking with fear at the sight but he quickly adjusted his mind, ” I can’t be a scaredy cat, I need to be brave and help my mum and dad.

On the way to the broken house, they saw the dragon’s parents collecting wood, leaves and mud. Sniffles came to help his parents right away even though he was young and weak but that didn’t matter to him, he just kept going to get the job done quicker. Emma thought “ what a lovely child he is.” She loved his kind and caring character, so she decided to help. She made a wonderful idea, secretly she turned  the large pile of wood into a tremendous castle. The family were surprised and amazed by what they were seeing. Then Emma turned the terrible witch into a servant to serve the dragon’s family for a punishment. Everyone was happy so they lived happily ever after.

(Hi Marnie, I’m not quite sure this one I wrote is more like story or fairy tale? Thanks)

Marnie
        Participant

This is a really good fairy tale Weiya- well done! I’ve attached a marked copy of your work- see you tomorrow morning 🙂

Attachments:
      Marnie
      Participant

Really great work today everyone- you all had imaginative ideas which were fantastic to hear! Even though we all discussed similes, metaphors and personification really well, I think that our discussion on personification was particularly thoughtful today! Attached is the PowerPoint from this morning’s lesson and if you skip to the final slide, you’ll see the homework instructions where I would like you to try describing either Marley the puppy, or Gobbolino the kitten 🙂 Remember to try and use all three of the techniques (similes, metaphors and personification), and if you’re unsure about something from today’s session, just write a question at the bottom of your homework and I’ll answer it when I mark your writing 🙂 I can’t wait to see what you all come up with!

Attachments:
      SofiaL
      Participant

Sorry for the late fairy tale homework. Please see attached below.

Once there was a girl called Malinda Seydian. She was beautiful and studious. She was a very clever girl, but in the country, she lived in, girls could not go to high schools nor universities. So, Malinda always lean beside the window and use envy vision to watch boys talking in pairs going to school. She yearned to go to school. She prayed for it.

One day she nerved herself and said to her parents ‘mum dad, I know girls cannot go to schools. Well I can wear boys’ clothes, I can shave my hair, I can throw my skirts and dresses, I can even change my name. But you must not refuse me to go to school!’ Mr. and Mrs. Seydian, they rather let their daughter to be a housewife, instead to let Malinda to take this risk. Finally, after hearing Malinda’s explanation and fawn, they agreed.

On a nice warm day, Malinda start off to the school. Two years of schooling, in these two years Malinda met a boy called Tom, he was very educated, and had a super handsome face. Malinda and Tom soon became best friends, they were inseparable. Than on one very special day it was the day they finish school.

Two month later Tom went to visit Malinda. He was both surprised and astonished. His Buddy was not the funny little scholar, it was a beautiful girl, like a new lotus June boiling elegant, graceful and fragrant. He went to made the marriage proposal, but Mr. Seydian refused to give his daughter.

In disappointment Tom fall ill and did not recover, soon he died. When Malinda found out that Tom died, she was very mad at her father. In grief she jumped in to the river that Tom’s tomb was. It rained all night, and the next day a pair of swans was swimming gracefully on the river.

The end.

Marnie
        Participant

Attached is a marked copy of your fairy tale- good work, Sofia! 🙂

Attachments:
      SofiaL
      Participant

Mr. Grey is one of my teacher’s dog. He is a French bulldog. He has a grey nearly black body, and a little white patch on the chest like a tie. Mr. Grey has an adorable little face. Two beautiful and energetic eyes like two grapes, he has an abnormal nose, it is the shape of a walnut, stripes around his mouth and nose. The funniest part is his ears, they are chameleons, sometimes they are pink, sometimes they are white, sometimes even light purple.

I used to play with Mr. Grey, when I was in Mr and Miss Wang’s after school lessons. Every time when I let Mr. Grey downstairs to do his business or comb his fur, he makes noises like a pig. How ridiculous! Once I was taking him for a walk, when we were in the lift, he sat on his hind legs. I just thought he was resting for a little while. But when it came to the first floor, Mr. Grey stood up and there where he sited earlier was a big pile of wee-wee! Oh my, I did not know what to do. On that very moment my super rescue mommy came. She quickly moped the lift and she solved my problem!

Mr. Grey is a gentle-man. He always let me and the other people to go first, than he goes through the door. Or sometimes he don’t push when I hug him. Mr. Grey is not only a gentle man, he is a quick learner.

Mr. Grey is a quick learner. When we first met he did not know how to go down the stairs, so I a teacher should teach student Mr. Grey. First I put my right leg out, and did you know? Mr. Grey stuck his paw out too! After some tacit cooperation I made it! I successfully taught Mr. Grey how to go down the stairs!

This is a dog I loved, called Mr. Grey

Marnie
        Participant

Attached is your description- really good work, Sofia! See you on Saturday:)

Attachments:
      Yuexi
      Participant

Dear Ms Marine:

Here is my homework for this week.

Thanks a lot!
      Best regards,

Yuexi

Attachments:
        Yuexi
        Participant

Dear Ms Marnie:

sorry,it was a typing mistake.

Yuexi

Marnie
        Participant

Attached is your work- good stuff, Yuexi! See you tomorrow 🙂

Attachments:

Gobbolino is a kind young five years old cat that lives with a witch, he is a busy kitchen cat.

He is a black cat with patches of fading white fur here and there. His fur is soft like a fluffy cushion. Gobbolino’s head is more like a flat pumpkin more than a normal skull. Almost in the centre of his flat face, there are two shiny, green grassy eyes like the size of small apples. When he’s angry he roars like a furious lion. Gobbolino’s paws are neon white that shines in the midnight sky. His triangular ears are spindly, they swivel around his head when he is excited. Gobbolino can jump extremely high, he can jump as tall as the Eiffel tower.

Gobbolino is not very close with the nasty witch, although he cooks for her but he doesn’t like her much because she is bossy and mean. The witch is also murderous, she always asks Gobbolino to do evil things which are against Gobbolino’s will. So their relationship is as cold as the Arctic.

Even though their relationship is not close, the witch has powers to keep Gobbolino working for her. Gobbolino loves to cook. He eats while he cooks, so he gets very fat, his stomach sways from side to side. He can cook as well as a five star restaurant professional chef! When the witch praises him for the delicious food, he discoes with joy in the kitchen. When he is upset, he cries non-stoply and his eyes hold in a thousands oceans of tears. Did you know he’s also a brilliant cleaner as well? He sings happily when he is cleaning, “Sparkle and clean is what I like, clean it, clean it and it will shine so bright” He treats the kitchen with very tidy orders.

( Hi Marnie, can you give me some ideas of how to write the ending? I can’t think of any. thanks!)

Marnie
        Participant

Great work, Weiya! Attached is a marked copy of your work. See you tomorrow 🙂

Attachments:
      Vivienne
      Participant

“Mello! where are you?” cried Mr. Hoodoo.

Today I’m gonna introduce you to Mello, the little puppy, the little puppy who was always tooooooo overexcited.

When Mr. Hoodoo first slayed his eyes on little Mello, he knew that this was the puppy he desired and looked for four years. The little puppy’s eyes where filled with curiosity and full to the brim with stars. His eyes shone so bright that nobody could ever look straight into his eye. His eyes are stars and there was no doubt about that.. Although his eyes are bright, his fur is as black as midnight, and his paws where as white as sheet, the tip of Mello’s tall was also snow white. Since Mello has white paws and a black body, he was called Mello Boots.

Mello always gets very excited when he sees other dogs, he loves to be taken care of. Mello has been treated like a prince al his life. He likes to catch butterflies in Sumer, roll around in the leaves in Autumn, catch snowflakes with his tongue in Winter and stroll in the fields full of peach trees. When it is nighttime he would never do anything but have a bath and eat dog treats. Mello is a part of Mr. Hoodoo’s world but Mr. Hoodoo is not part of Mello’s world.

Although they aren’t very close but Mr. Hoodoo never gives up on the dognap keeps taking care of the dog till he was to old to move and play with Mello. That is where he lose he dog Mello.

Although there was no more and Melloey dogs, neither anyone to play with, Mr. Hoodoo still stays as an kind, old, diligent man.

the end

Marnie
        Participant

Good work, Tongtong! Attached is your description on Mello the dog 🙂

Attachments:
      Isabella
      Participant

Gobblit0 is a witches cat . She is 6 years old and has fur as black as shadows and her fur is a black blanket. Her eyes are deep orange but they twinkle like stars. 3 of her paws are snow white while 1 paw is blood red. Her belly is as round as a watermelon however her tail is long and skinny like a piece of string. Gobblit0 always wears the same top hat  with sky blue stars and a midnight background. She is as tall as a stool and as heavy as a book.Her ears are amber and so sharp it could chop down a tree in seconds. Gobblito is a useful cat because her fur can turn  light purple when danger is far and dark purple when danger is close. She is a very talented cat. She can jump as high as two houses stacked on each other. She can also ride a broom without falling and shoot spells out of her tail. She has two birthdays a year, sometimes two, three or even four! She is patient and polite, and can accept delays without becoming anxious or annoyed. She grew up in Greece, but learned to speak Chinese.

Marnie
        Participant

Attached is your description with my comments- good work, Isabella! 🙂

Attachments:
      Marnie
      Participant

This week, we worked on book reviews, including the language, as well as the content of which a review should include. Great discussions today, everyone! I was impressed with your understanding of a book review’s structure and content, and why book reviews are useful. 🙂 Attached is the PowerPoint from the lesson, with the homework on the final slide. Remember to look back to previous slides if you’re stuck on the structure of your own book review, or which connectives and/or opinion phrases to use 🙂 I am happy for you to write a book review on any book- it can be fiction or non-fiction! Enjoy, and see you next week 🙂

Attachments:
      Yuexi
      Participant

Book Review of The inquisitor’s tale
      story by Adam GIDWITZ
      This story happened in 1216 years, when the storyteller, Étienne and some more ‘ordinary’ characters gather around an inn and told the story of the saints: Gwenforte, Jeanne, Jacob and William. Jeanne is a peasant that works in the farm, on day, she discovered that she have fits of the future. Jacob is a peasant,too. Though his power is different—he can heal up any wounds or injuries or sickness in no time. William is a monk that has super natural big muscles. Gwenforte is the holy dog that everyone likes. In the years before, she is the dog of Jeanne. She died recently,but god sent her back to earth.
      Finally, they met and become close friends after they helped each others. They begun to explore the wide and mysterious world and understands it the better. They past the cruel knights that is mean, but kind after the children cured a gigantic beast that has deadly farts. Then they met Michrelangelo di Bologna and the inquisitor himself. Now they were on their last mission—to save books that were about to be burned and to open the king and queen mother’s eyes to care about people that were not well treated. Will they fail in the god’s mission? Or will they make their way along even if there are one hundred knights?
      I would highly recommend this book to everyone who likes sacred stories. I really liked what Jacob did after he sees Jeanne’s sickness and healed it up. I don’t really appreciate what the queen mother did to the books, because everyone in every community should be treated equally and have rights to be anywhere. I loved the way how the author wrote the story, Adam Gidwitz is a powerful and unique storyteller and has wonderful skills. In my opinion, this story is quite important to you when you are learning about rights.
      Have fun reading!

Marnie
        Participant

Attached is a marked copy of your review- see you tomorrow and well done, Yuexi!

Attachments:

Harry Potter Goblet of Fire, the fourth book in the Harry Potter series, This is an amazing book, even though it’s long, it is worth reading. The book is mixed with humor, action and fantasy. It is developed of astounding events and detective characters. It’s so easy to lose myself in this amazing, imaginate world. This is one of my favourite books. I hope it will be one of yours.

The book is about Harry’s fourth year at Hogwarts. There is one big event , the Triwizard Tournament is held at his school. Only pupils above the age seventeen are allowed to enter. Amazed, Harry’s name gets picked out of Goblet of fire, he will have to suffer through these three threatening tasks including dragons and dark wizards. He will need to be careful of creatures and people lurking.  Will Harry make it through alive?…

I adored reading this fabulous book a lot. The tension in the book is so suspenseful that it made me feel so vivid, I felt like I was there at Hogwarts watching all of this happen. The best thing about this book is there are not any boring or uninteresting parts, it keeps me full of suspicion and makes me carry on reading.

I like how the book has many plot twists, it is animated very well. The idea is great and easy to understand and the new characters J.K Rowling added into the book makes it more interesting to read. The competition is very exciting and is very attention catching.

Even though this book is brilliant, it would be even better if there were two Triward winners Harry and Krum, they had one last task to see who will win. In the middle of the task, Voldemort builds up his strength and comes back to Hogwarts to fight over the famous boy but Harry beats Voldermort. Harry beats Voldermort again and he wins the torment.

I will definitely recommend this amazing book to anyone who is a big fan of magic and if you like the book called The Worst Witch, I am sure you will like this too.

This book definitely deserves nine out of ten ! I hope you will enjoy this book. Happy reading!

Marnie
        Participant

Attached is your work with my comments- well done! See you tomorrow 🙂

Attachments:
      Vivienne
      Participant

Immortal Guardians is the first book of the series Spirit Animals. I have just finished reading this book and my life has literally turned around.

The Evertree was the source of all bonds between the humans and spirit animals……There was no mistaking it the tree was dying…

This exquisite book by the author Eliot Schrefer was about people bonded and not bonded with spirit animals.  Zerif is a villain that is collecting Spirit Beasts which are the leaders of Spirit Animals. He collects then using a black worm-like thing that comes from a monster beneath the ground and in the roots of the evertree. Meilin and her team are trying to save the world. Meilin and her team Takoda, Conor, Xanthe, Anda and their spirit animals are on the way to find the last spirit beast before Zerif does.

My favorite character is a animal, not exactly a spirit animal…. more like a Spirit Beast…His name is Jhi, a panda. Jhi is a doctor he can help magical injuries as well as normal ones. He is a very cunning and intelligent panda. I think you would like him too!

Personally, I think that this book should get a ten or nine out of ten. I really like the setting of this story, also the characters. I hope you enjoy reading this book!

Marnie
        Participant

Attached is a marked copy of your work- well done for your review, Tongtong! 🙂

Attachments:
      SofiaL
      Participant

From the mix-up files of Mrs. Basil E. frankweller is written by E. l. Konigsburg. She has twice won the new berry medal. This book is a book for children between eight to twelve.

It tells a story of a girl named Claudia that wants to run away. Claudia knew she could never pull the old-fashion kind of running away …So she decides to run not from somewhere but to somewhere large, warm, comfortable, and beautiful. Then Jamie and Claudia ended up living in the Metropolitan Museum. Later they found something suspicious on a statue which looked like an angel. Rumors spread in and out, some said Michelangelo made it, some said Michelangelo design it and others made it. at last Jamie and Claudia found Mrs. Basil e.  Frankweller, finally discovered it was Michelangelo who made the statue which looked like an angel.

I think From the mix-up files of Mrs. Basil E. frankweller is an interesting book. First, at the beginning of every chapter, it is always a dangerous situation, and at the end of the chapter, it always surprises the reader about how Claudia and Jamie had solved, so it is very funny. For-example Jamie and Claudia stand on the toilet for an hour or two.

My favorite character is Claudia. First, she is very interesting the reason she chose Jamie to run away is that he has a lot of pocket money. second, she has led, like she always organizes when to when we do what and always bossing Jamie around. Thirdly she is very intelligent and has a lot of plans in mind.

I would recommend this book to children:

Reason 1, in the end, it is like a fable it tells you a principle

Reason 2 is a funny book and it is not too long, so I think children would like it.

Marnie
        Participant

Attached is your book review- well done, Sofia! 🙂

Attachments:
      Marnie
      Participant

Today, we discussed the Haiku, its origins, as well as how to write one/how to apply poetic techniques in general. There were some brilliant contributions today from everyone! I was really impressed with your knowledge of the Haiku, and your thoughts on how poetry can often be a lot more satisfying to read than a novel! Attached is the PowerPoint from this morning- make sure to check out the last slide- you can write two of your Haikus based on the ideas listed. Then, feel free to choose your own topic for your third and final haiku! Remember to consider poetic techniques- some effective ones to consider for this homework include alliteration, personification, simile and metaphor. Enjoy writing the haikus- I can’t wait to read them! See you all next Saturday 🙂

Attachments:
      SofiaL
      Participant

Red as blood, soft as cashmere.

Gently pluck the petals.

Pure like water.

You are not empty, and you are never empty.

You gave skinless the cure , you gave nerve the bravery.

All by the beauty of your music.

The sun rose up, after a day and fallen.

I wonder if he is tired or not?

Before he fallen down in to the sea the sky changed

Red as silk, blue as the sea, yellow and pink as flowers.

Marnie
        Participant

Attached is a marked copy of your haikus- really good work this week, Sofia! 🙂

Attachments:
      Isabella
      Participant

1. Halloween is fun,

You can decorate your house,

Jump out of your skin.

Snowflakes dance and twirl,

Snow is a fluffy blanket ,

I like white snowflakes.

Swans are snow white,

They live in fresh clear water,

Young white swans fly.

Marnie
        Participant

Attached is a marked copy of your work- well done for your haikus, Isabella! 🙂

Attachments:
      Candice
      Participant
        Marnie
        Participant

Attached is a marked copy of your work- really well done, Candice! 🙂

Attachments:

Waterfalls

Water rushes down,

Gurgle, splashing all around,

What an amazing scene.

Sunsets

The sun waves goodbye,

Showing colours in the sky,

Leaving peace behind.

Autumn

Autumn crunchy leaves,

Dancing down from shady trees,

Covering the earth.

Marnie
        Participant

Attached are your marked haikus- really well done, Weiya! 🙂

Attachments:
      Yuexi
      Participant

Snowflakes

White flowers that can fly

Twinkling, dancing down the sky

When you teach me?

Waterfall

Pouring down the rocks,

Is a girl’s silky long hair-

What a lovely view.

Seashells

Crispy white crystals,

Lying on the ocean floors-

secretly napping.

Marnie
        Participant

Attached are your marked haikus- great work, Yuexi!

Attachments:
      Vivienne
      Participant

Waterfalls

Splish, splash, gurgle, splash,                                                                                                                                                                                               Waterfall rolls down the cliff,                                                                                                                                                         Never looking back.

Rudolph

The red nose Rudolph,                                                                                                                                                                                     Leaps and twirls, sings and dances,                                                                                                                                                         Flying through the air.

Seashells

How many are there?                                                                                                                                                                                 Lying on sand, sunbathing,                                                                                                                                                                                All shapes and sizes.

Marnie
        Participant

Attached is a marked copy of your work- very well done, Tongtong!

Attachments:
      Marnie
      Participant

Well done for today, everyone! Focus levels were up and I was impressed by your understanding of persuasive writing and PEE paragraphs 🙂 Attached is the homework on the last slide of the PowerPoint- remember, you can choose something else other than the terrible restaurant experience, but your work should be under 400 words. I’m looking for writing that uses PEE paragraphs and a good range of persuasive techniques, such as hyperbole and emotive language! Add any questions to the bottom of your homework, in case you’re still unsure about something from the virtual class. Enjoy, and have good weeks everyone 🙂

Attachments:
      Yuexi
      Participant

Dear Sir/Madam,
      I am writing to complain about your horrible restaurant.
      Firstly, the burger I ordered was not cooked. It was cooled and tasted unnaturally salty and spicy, it was very hard to bite on, too. I hade to force myself to eat the dish and I vomited in the toilet right after. Therefore, I think that your food is EXPIRED and you are PLASTERING salt to cover up the food’s ugly taste, I hate the food here.
      Also, the restaurant was ignorant. They sing hateful song and they use rude words and they talk so loud and insolent. I can not understand anything they say and had to pluck my fingers in my ears when they sang. I think the restaurant needs to be more educated. The singers said the song was popular, but are you sure?
      Anyway, I hated the way we are all stuck together. I could hear the others talking and gossiping. I really don’t like it, because I can not concentrate on talking with my family and friends—IT IS TOO LOUD!
      The tables are small and wobbly, the chairs can’t even fit my bum on it. I fell off the chairs quite often as I remembered and my food fell off TWENTY times, so does my plate. I want to shout at that time.
      Therefore, I was not provided with culture. The servants told me to eat with my bare hands and there is no napkins to use and there is no fork or knife or spoon. I desperately want to throw my dish onto the floor and stump away. I AM LIKE A CAGED TIGER.
      Your restaurant is also has a bad habits of smocking indoors, do you know that if you do,the house would be on fire?Also, the food that I am eating had smoke on them, too. It really is disgusting. Smoking is also not good for the nature environment, can’t you see how many clouds there are in the sky? You are causing those.
      Once after I ate your awful desserts, I felt very bad in the stomach. I preferred it if you could change your chef and do some new recipes. The desserts tasted like a rotten fruit and it was color-less. I hate it like your food.
      Over all, your restaurant is insolent, ignorant, horrible, hateful, rotten and ugly. I hope that not long after I sent this email, you would change your food and desserts, tables, chairs, habits, culture and the way we are all stuck together. If you change you restaurant, everything would be much better. It is both good for us and the environment.
      I am eagerly waiting for your change.
      Your utterly miserable costumer,
      Yuexi ZHU
      06/11/2020

Marnie
        Participant

Attached is your marked piece of work- great stuff this week, Yuexi! 🙂

Attachments:

Dear manager,

My family and I visited your restaurant on the 3rd of November to celebrate my mum’s birthday. Unfortunately, the experience was very unpleasant, the low standard food and the poor quality of the service is the reason why I am writing to you.

Firstly, the food was not cooked properly and what we received is different to the one we ordered. The prawn dish is not cooked properly, I had a stomach ache immediately after eating the prawns. The pizza’s dough was all soft and gooey like slime, it tasted disgusting and awful. There weren’t any pepperoni on the pizza but instead it was replaced with tomatoes and olives. We came here expecting high standard food, instead we received revolting dishes. We actually feel very sick and furious.

Secondly, your restaurant is unhygienic, the table is very sticky, it has not been cleaned from the previous customer. I even got my foot stuck in some squashed tomato sauce on the floor. Hygienic is very important in every restaurant and I hope you will improve hygienic match to the government standards.

Lastly, the service was slow and the waiter was insulting, it took twenty minutes to be served. When the waiter came, he didn’t show any interest in listening and was impatient, we had to repeat the order twice and he still didn’t get it right. It also took fifteen minutes to get our drinks. So the time we spent in your restaurant is mostly waiting for our orders.

All that I have mentioned above is why I requested a compensation. Hope you can deal with my issues and come back to me as soon as possible. Thank you!

Weiya

Marnie
        Participant

Attached is your homework with my comments- great stuff, Weiya! 🙂

Attachments:
      Vivienne
      Participant

Dear Mr Anderson,

On Monday my family were planning to go to a HIGH standard and five-star rating hotel to stay for seven days and six nights. Very unfortunately, my father came across your restaurant which seemed to be very nice, and there was a hotel next to it. You restaurant did not have a rate, but since your restaurant was next to a five-star hotel, we assumed that “Anderaunt” (Anderson the manager + restaurant = Anderaunt) was a great…..restaurant! One hour later when we arrive in front of your restaurant we did believe that it was great. Uhm……but when we stepped foot inside the horrible place and took our seats, I…nearly vomited.

Number one, your restaurant was very smelly and very noisy. The music you play there was very unacceptable, it was full of swears and was very not modern, classic, rock, rap, pop or k-pop. The table was very dirty, it looked that it hasn’t been cleaned for years. The seats were so small that even a mouse couldn’t sit on it, and the chair felt like it couldn’t even hold a feathers weight. The moment I sat on it the chair broke so I had to eat standing, it was the same with all my family members.

Number Two, The dish we asked for was not cooked and very different from the menu. We ordered ROASTED Chicken rather than Chicken  SOUP. Either way, the soup was as cold as ice and the chicken and tofu in it were as hard as steel and I nearly broke my teeth eating the chicken skin! The other thing we ordered was a big bowl of rice and you served was a big bowl and three pieces of tiny rice not even half a millimetre long.

Number three, the waitress had bad manners, she was very moody and shouted at us like it was wrong to order food in a restaurant, the drinks took an hour and the food took about two hours, I nearly died since I was famished.

After I ate your starter, main and pudding, of course, and the drinks, I vomited for about twenty minutes.

Right now I am in the hotel next to your restaurant and I hope after you’ve seen this letter you would quickly change your Restaurant and ask my family to go there and I will send you a letter if I think your restaurant whether have or not changed. Thank you!

From your hopeful customer,

Tongtong.

Marnie
        Participant

Attached is a marked copy of your work-I enjoyed reading this a lot! 🙂

Attachments:
      SofiaL
      Participant

Is Captain Nemo a good person?

He is a person, who can fight, and change the situation.

The nautilus’s captain told his story: He was an Indian prince who had led the Indians in the war against Britain and had his entire family killed. Captain Nemo explained his hatred of the British Empire and tried to defend himself by saying, “Wherever I go, I try to do the good I can, and the ‘bad’ I have to do. You see, justice does not equal forgiveness!”

Nemo is a captain that sympathize people that are forced to separate from their family.

Captain Nemo has cried, “In the sea I acknowledge no master. There I am free.”

This was Captain Nemo’s heartfelt expression of his fierce dissatisfaction with colonial rule, reflecting his yearn of freedom. He valued freedom above all else. He would not “come near an inch” to a continent for his freedom.

Under the historical conditions at that time, he represented army that valued freedom. Through his personality, we can see the freedom spirit. But toward the end of the novel, Captain Nemo does something: he attacks and destroys the ships of other nations. It gave him an aura of mystery, and made him hard to fathom. But now, I do not know whether his nautilus is still there, I do not know where he drifted again, I do not know whether he will still hate the continent, a grudge against mankind. But believe me, he must be a good man, a very good man!

Marnie
        Participant

Attached is your marked homework- well done, Sofia 🙂

Attachments:
      Marnie
      Participant

Very good work today, everyone! I think you all have a very good grasp of what makes a fantastic essay, and I really enjoyed hearing your thoughts on a wide range of discussion topics. Attached is the PowerPoint- remember to think not just about your essay’s content, but also the language you would like to use! Feel free to add any questions at the bottom of your homework if you’re stuck. Good luck with the homework and I hope you all have great weeks!:)

Attachments:
      Isabella
      Participant

Dear Manager,

I am writing this letter to complain about my bad experience in your restaurant two days ago. I was upset with the bad food and services.

Firstly, the quality of the food served at the restaurant was extremely disappointing. I was not pleased with the sausage and mash potato dish that I ordered. The sausage was mouldy and tasted disgusting. The mash potato had hard lumps inside. Clearly it was not fully cooked. I had stomachache after eating the dish. Also the ice cream that I ordered, it was completely melted when served.

Secondly, the setting of the restaurant was not great. The table and chairs were not stable and made creaky sounds through out the dinner. When passing by the kitchen on my way to the toilet, I saw a rat passing by the kitchen floor.

Lastly, the service of the restaurant was not great neither. I ordered a glass of hot water before the dinner, but it was only served after I finished the meal. The water was icing cold and the server refused to exchange it for me. The cold water worsened my stomachache.

Because of the bad experience that I had in the restaurant, I would like a formal apology from the restaurant and get a full refund of my meal.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

Bella

Marnie
        Participant

Attached is a marked copy of your letter- well done, Isabella!

Attachments:
      Candice
      Participant

Under is an attachment of my homework.
      🙂

Attachments:
        Marnie
        Participant

Attached is a marked copy of your work- great essay, Candice 🙂

Attachments:
      Candice
      Participant
      Isabella
      Participant

In my opinion zoos should be banned. If zoos are banned, animals can live where they belong in the wild. And it is much safer for people, as they will not be infected by the virus carried by animals.

Firstly, zoos are the most dangerous places in the UK during the covid-19 lockdown, because many people who visited the zoo were infected with coronavirus and many are dead. According to the top scientists working the government, they declared that the original source of the covid-19 is in fact from animals. Animals are highly likely carriers of the covid 19. So people must not go near to animals in case they get infected by coronavirus. Some councils have advised people like small children and pregant women not to visit any farms or zoos. If the zoo is closed, no one can visit the zoo and no one will be infected by the animals.

Secondly, animals have been given garbage and expired food at the zoo, which kills them. Based on a report by daily mail, about 500 exotic animals died at zoo in four years at South Lakes Safari Zoo. The staffs at the zoo confirmed that they have been feeding animals with mouldy bread from the supermarkets. In addition, 14 herbivores and three birds have perished in one year in Shanghai zoo after eating garbage and plastic bags. Therefore, zoos cannot provide the healthy food for animals and they should be banned.

Lastly, animals do not belong in the zoo, they belong to the wild. The living space for the animals in the zoo is incredibly tiny compared to that of the wild. Biologist from Oxford University reported that animals such as Polar bears, lions and tigers should either be given more space at the zoo. The typical zoo enclosure for a polar bear is one-millionth the size of its home range in the wild. Animals simply do not have enough space at the moment. Therefore, zoos should be banned and animals should be set free back to the wild.

In my opinion zoos in the UK must be banned. It will change our world significantly, and make our world a better place.

Marnie
        Participant

Attached is your essay- really great work, Isabella! 🙂

Attachments:
      Yuexi
      Participant

Under attachment is my homework for the essay writing.

Thanks a lot.

Attachments:
        Marnie
        Participant

Attached is a marked copy of your work- well done!:)

Attachments:

Should we keep reading books made from paper?

I think we should stop reading printed books and encourage people to read eBooks instead.

Firstly, eBooks are environmentally friendly because no tree is needed to manufacture the eBooks paper. So the use of eBooks will decrease the amount of trees chopped down. This will help reduce the world’s problem today that is global warming. If we keep on reading printed books it will cause more and more world problems and animals will be extinct. Moreover, if we don’t look after our planet, there will not be any oxygen left to breath.

Secondly, eBooks are portable and space saving compared to printed books. Imagine having all your books on eBook reader instead of carrying a whole pile of heavy books when you go on trips, there won’t be weight issues anymore. Additionally, one eBook reader can hold thousands of books so it saves lots of space. There are no shelves or boxes needed anymore, you can just put it in your pocket.

Lastly, ebooks are easy to read and hear. Many ebooks now have audio features. This let’s you learn and consume the book on your commute or listen whenever it is not practical to read. It really encourages people to read more books. In addition, if you have a problem with the size of the font, you can resize according to your need. It really helps those with optical problems. Moreover, it also helps the blind people have an opportunity to read.

In summary, eBooks have lots of benefits over printed books. It helps our lifestyle much easier which printed books can’t achieve. So my opinion will be, we should not keep reading books made from paper.

Marnie
        Participant

Great work, Weiya! Attached is your essay 🙂

Attachments:
      SofiaL
      Participant

I think zoos should not be banned.

Reason one, zoos purpose is to protect the animals from danger and feed them properly. 60 percent of Zoos had done the job properly so it is ok to let zoos not be banded After the famous wildlife conservationist Geral Durrell opened a zoo in Jersey in 1959, zoos all over the world have embraced the mission of saving endangered species in the world. Zoos are not like the exotic animal menageries from the middle ages. They want to provide entertainment but they are greatly concerned with the protection of animals and their natural habitats. Zoos help raising awareness and funding for wildlife initiatives and research projects. That is one reason that zoos should not be banned

The second reason is zoos could give animals freedom. Animals are not always caged in zoos. Edinburgh was the first British zoo to follow the idea of displaying animals without bars. The Chester and Whipsnade zoological parks where the first two non-urban zoos without cages and larger enclosures. They opened in 1931. In the 1960s the drive-through safari parks became very popular. Ever since there has been an increasing public concern about animal welfare in zoos.

Another pro of zoos is their role in animal reproduction. Zoos study animal breeding and thanks to them many wild animals in captivity can reproduce. This is particularly important in the case of endangered species. Some populations in the wild are weakened by endogamy too. In zoos vets and biologist help to prevent inbreeding.

That is why I think zoos should not be banned.

Marnie
        Participant

Attached is your essay- fantastic work, Sofia 🙂

Attachments:
      Marnie
      Participant

Really well done for today, everyone! I enjoyed hearing your thoughts, opinions and debates on the Gothic/Horror genre, and I was impressed by your range of ideas! This genre comes up all the time, and can be combined with other genres- therefore, it is a really interesting one to be aware about! Attached is the PowerPoint- remember that you can choose any location, as long as you make it frightening and use the Gothic elements we discussed in class, from cats, to moonlight, to vampires! There are some good examples of Gothic writing near the end of the PowerPoint- be sure to check these out if you want some inspiration! Fantastic work and focus today, everyone!

Attachments:
      Isabella
      Participant

In the middle of Transylvania where a foggy forest is held. It is so foggy you can barely see anything. Red blood stains are very sticky and very mucky. Deeper in the forest, there are faint werewolf prints in the mud. You will hear squeaking mice that run as fast as a cheetah and disappear in the distance. You will also hear crow cawing and rattling, which echos around the forest. You will hear a bat screeching and calling. Deeper into the forest, you will smell garlic to keep vampires away. You also smell the blood of a demon. Old filthy candles are standing on blown up, tough and bumpy stones. That is beside a mysterious river which has tarantulas floating above the water. Deeper in the bad forest, blackened cloaks are resting on tree trunks which are covered in cobwebs. They are as sticky as PVA glue.

Marnie
        Participant

Attached is your Gothic description- very good work, Isabella 🙂

Attachments:
      Yuexi
      Participant

The woods

The rain started to fall over the dusty soil. The tree surrounded an old mansion. The ghosty moon shown over the deep woods and the woods were cutting the dim, cold light into tiny pieces. The wet leafs creaked as there were any weight on them. There were black and misery in the dark wood, for in a century, no one dare to set a foot in this place. No one ever know how the wood came so miserable and hunted. In the woods, black creatures moved around, the owl’s roosting became creepy and sour. Ghosts like grasshoppers hopped around hopelessly, they were cold and bloodless. If anyone come and got lost, they would never get out of this puzzle again. It was like a giant trap. Mist covered up everything even in a sunny day.

In the old mansion the wood covered up, chairs are broken and tables are wrecked, there are blood stains on the creaking stairs. The bed was broken legged and there laid jars of red liquid, there were bones lying on the breakfast table. In front of the broken mirror, there always stood a tall figure, with long jaws sticking out of the mouth like knifes sticking out of the soft sand.

Now do you know why the wood was haunted?

Marnie
        Participant

Attached is your Gothic description- great work, Yuexi! 🙂

Attachments:

On a cold and dark night, trees were shaking wildly in the misty air, dogs were barking, werewolves were howling and owls were hooting loudly. Thunder was crackling and lightning was flashing in the sky.

In the darkness, I saw a mysterious, crooked house standing on a bumpy hill. I nervously walked towards the house, the leaves crunching beneath my shacking feet. The rusty gate was open, the cobwebs were swaying like pieces of silk floating around in the blurry sky. The wind harshly pushed the gate back and forth making irritating noises EEEK. The house was old and creepy, the roof had missing tiles with large holes in it. Dried blood had been dropped on the outside walls, the gargoyles were staring at me angrily. The black, dusty door was starting to swing open making scary creaking noises. I started to sweat with fear and my heart was beating faster than ever as I walked towards the front door.  My hands curled around the door knob and BANG, it swallowed me inside.

Cautiously, I slowly walked around. Immediately, the odor of rotten egg smell filled my nose. There were terrifying paintings of vampires, ghosts and witches pinned on the walls. The room was as cold as Antarctica, there were no radiators at all, there wasn’t even a fire in the fireplace. Couches and armchairs were ragged and ripped, probably made by cats and wild animals living in the house. I walked into the hallway, it was surrounded by thick fog. I couldn’t see my way, I had to feel my way around. I looked up and I saw a leading staircase that spun up to the sky like lighthouse stairs. Upstairs, rooms were full potions, wands and spell books, this meant someone had lived in here.

Weird voices echoed in a room so I peeked through a hole in the wooden door…

Marnie
        Participant

Attached is your homework- really great work this week, Weiya!

Attachments:
      Vivienne
      Participant

The forest

I stomped out of the cottage and into the forest next to it, not knowing what gonna happen next. As I walked deeper and deeper into the forest…Bang! A loud but weird noise echoed through the forest. Three Tall Trees surrounded me, the roots stretched for miles, it was as wide as 100 poles put together and its leaves were x100 bigger and longer than apple tree leaves, the were also one big hole in the centre of every tree. I was cautious about every step I was taking but for some reason I still stepped on very scary things like blood stains, wolf skin, tigers tooth, rabbit ears and other varieties of things. The were two eyes staring a me in the distance like two lanterns which made me tremble. I tried to stay calmbut a wolf howl made me feel even more anxious.There are lots of trees in this forest, all twisted into different shapes and sizes…I walked to the north and saw a cave of bats, red eyed, sharp eared, black body. There was no other road than the cave so I went the the east. Wolf howled echoed around every few seconds and lions groomed everywhere. Then I turned to the west road, a smell of death filled my nose. With no other choice I walk on the road which led to the south a big pit with nowhere out was ahead of me. I was stuck there with no ideas of a way out when a portal opened infront of me….

Marnie
        Participant

Attached is your homework- really well done, Tongtong! 🙂

Attachments:
      SofiaL
      Participant

Something had happened to the night the stars was not twinkly it was staring at me suddenly a picture of black came into my eyes. there were misty street lamps across the alley. All of them had vanished, noisy sounds of cars and a whimper of trees. I was suddenly in a lonely, bitterly cold, wild winter day. I was surrounded by darkness as though some magicians had cursed the sky.

The ground shakes the wolves got their skinny trunks up, they howled throw the forest to the alley. People were walking fast through me they wore all black a helmet was on their face it was coloured black with sparkle silver.

I walked back home in the garden I saw the trees flashing their selves there was certainly a moment that I thought I was in the middle of nowhere because I was all silent for a second the street lights had all turned themselves off, The creatures had stopped breathing the people had stopped moving everywhere was all the same.

I close all the windows I locked the door. I want into a corner and start crying after a while a black shadow came into my room it was the long shadow I can’t see its face clearly but I saw him moving. First it was weak it was a long shadow very long indeed.

Lastly the devil shown§ its face. it was a man he had a pale face and a, pair of really cold hands that he touched my forehead. He showed me a hand kerchief. There were blood stains on it, I detective clearly again the bloods stains wrote to message.

Marnie
        Participant

Attached is your Gothic description- good work, Sofia 🙂

Attachments:
      Marnie
      Participant

Very well done today everyone! You all engaged with this week’s topic very well, and I thought your ideas were not only imaginative, but very well-explained and detailed too:) I have attached the PowerPoint where the last slide details the homework instructions- I am happy for you all to vary pace throughout the piece too. Make sure to go through the PowerPoint if you get a little stuck/ want some ideas on how to improve your structure. Happy writing, and well done again, everyone 🙂

Attachments:
      Yuexi
      Participant

Here is my homework for lesson 10.

Thanks a lot!

Merlin is climbing a really hight stalk. He garbed one branch and another, just like a official climber, he reached for another. He held on it for a second and jumped to get the other ones. Suddenly the branch disappeared and Merlin almost fell backwards. But miraculously he didn’t. He was so shocked that he was stunned for seven minutes.He reached for another one, but the branch was not stabled and his hands slip, SCREECH! Merlin quickly switched and made a lunch for another branch that is right above his head. Merlin pushed himself upwards and made another grab for another. Soon he was facing the branch that looked like a wrecked wire, Merlin was very scared that it might disappeared again and again and he could not touch a twig of it, and if he fell down, it will be the time he is alive. So Merlin touched the twig to see what will happen, but nothing did, so he pretended that there is weight on it, but still, nothing pop out or disappeared but Merlin was still not convinced so he pushed another twig and bumped them together. Swish! The branch moved and wiggled and turned and disappeared.

Merlin climbed and climbed and climbed, now he was so tiered and sleepy, he was even hungrier then ever, so he tried to taste the leaves on the branch and it was edible! So Merlin chomped of two long branch, when he felt full again he begun to climb again.

Soon he was on the top of the stalk, what a lovely view from up there!

Marnie
        Participant

Attached is a marked copy of your homework- well done, Yuexi! 🙂

Attachments:
      SofiaL
      Participant

‘Ring, don, don’ ‘Ring, don, don’ One more minute I thought, just one more minute, it would not matter! After a minute I would get up, and mum won’t have a clue I did not get up on time when the clock ticked.

A oh, I am late for school, it is seven o’clock. The school bus will come in fifteen minutes! I quickly threw back the covers and scrambled out of bed. I rushed to the bathroom, picked up a toothbrush, squeezed the toothpaste, and brushed my tooth as fast as lightning. Then I dashed into the dining room, gobbled a sandwich, before I even swallowed down the food I drank up the milk. I run to my bedroom to pack my backpack, I throw my notebook into the inner layer, I throw the textbooks in the inner layer, and lastly, I placed my lunch box, tableware set, and pencil case in the outer layer.

I rushed out the door and hurried down the stairs. ‘Hey, just on time!’ called Grace my friend. ‘Yeah got up late today.’ I yelled running towards her. We talked for a while complaining about why only boys could go to the studio. after a while the bus came, I took a step on the stairs, suddenly a boy pushed me on the back, so I was forced up the stairs. On the bus I spot an empty seat and walked there, and seated with my heart pounding, thinking thank god, I am on time!

Marnie
        Participant

Attached is your work- well done, Sofia! 🙂

Attachments:

Chloe and her family went to Mount Etna in Italy for a holiday. It was a beautiful day, the sky was clear, the morning sun beams peeking through the clouds. Hundreds of tourists climbed up the volcano to discover nature.

Suddenly, they felt a movement under the ground and couldn’t stand properly. Then some small rumbles and little sparks of fire bursted out from the summit. Roaring rumbles and loud booming sounds echoed in the air. The sky was starting to darken, it was filled with black smoke. Sparkling sparks sizzled in the sky making it full of colour.

Everyone was struck dead with terror. Screams and cries constantly. “RUN, it’s going to erupt!” People rushed to get away, knocking each other down but people still gave hands to drag back up who fell down. Soon Chloe got tired, her legs began to ache and go wobbly. It was hard to run on the cracking ground. She stopped for a second and looked back. She was shocked, the lava was chasing them so closely. Her heart was beating in a quick pulse, it could leap out of her throat! “Quick, you are going to be swallowed by lava!” Her father grabbed her, running as quick as an athlete.  Other tourists also ran crazily like a mouse escaping from a hungry cat.

All of a sudden, the hot, sizzling heat was lazing on their backs. They were surrounded by poisonous acidy smoke. It was hard to see their way. They also smelt the scent of burnt things. Ash went into Chloe’s mouth, it made her throat dry and tight. Fear choked her with horror as she coughed and spluttered, it made her feel she would die soon.

After fifteen minutes, they finally reached a safe place. They couldn’t believe what just happened.  Fear was still surrounding them. They hugged and kissed, tears waterd in everyone’s eyes. It was an emotional time…

Marnie
        Participant

Attached is your marked work- very well done this week, Weiya! 🙂

Attachments:
      Vivienne
      Participant

Lana charged towards the eight dwarfs. Her face was red like a tomato, her eyes were also red but more like a crystal, her skin was as white as snow but has now turned a light shade of scarlet. She had long but thin eyebrows, big and shining eyes and lips as red as blood. The dwarfs had smudged her essay and now nothing can be seen on it, it was jet black whit only a little bit grey on the edges. The dwarfs ran hurriedly into the wood, their little beards flying behind them. Finally, the dwarfs reached the woods and scurried up son stairs which led to a hole in the sky. Lana followed. The black hole started to slowly shrink when Lana climbed into it. It was dark in there but for some reason, you can still feel very safe.

Unexpectedly, the black around Lana gradually turned grey, then ash grey and finally the world around her grew colorful. She could see dancing butterflies who had bright blue wings, pouncing lions golden main flickering in the sunlight, the deers silvery skin gleaming as if they were made metal. Lana thought that she was in a dream until she saw eight familiar

faces — the eight dwarfs. She could hear then saying some things but it felt like her ears were stuffed with some king of cotton and she couldn’t hear clearly, only a few word were clear. She could kind of make up what they were saying, it was something like this, “What should we do to her? Should we kill her or push her out?”

“I think that we ought to kill her!”

“I agree!”

“Thats a bad idea, we should give it to Mr Hawkins, our master.”

“Yeah we should!”

“Shut up you Idiots!” bellowed a dwarf with a green hat, he was the leader christened Beowulf. Beowulf had a short beard braided into a fishtail, his chartreuse yellow colored hair had a a strip of Wenge. His eyes were olive green, his eyes brows long and a thin army green. Beowulf straightened his back and let out a roar. All the animals of the field gathered in the part where he roared, “Greetings, my friends, we have a guest and we need you to help us decide what we are going to do to them.”

Marnie
        Participant

Attached is your homework- well done for such exciting work! 🙂

Attachments:
      Marnie
      Participant

Very well done today, everyone! There were some fantastic contributions and thinking ‘outside of the box’, where all of you had interesting examples of heroes/heroines and villains, as well as a variety of opinions! Attached is the PowerPoint from today’s lesson, where the final slide outlines the homework, which is to describe your very own hero/heroine or villain. Remember to look at the slide before the homework slide, to see which techniques you could use to make your writing even more exciting and imaginative.  Happy writing everyone, and see you next week 🙂

Attachments:
      SofiaL
      Participant

My dad is a great hero to me. Even if he doesn’t do anything special in his everyday job, I admire him a lot. He is a businessman who helps to make sale petroleum. My dad was always the image of hero’s. When I heard the song not all hero’s wear capes, I was very touched.

My father does not usually show his feeling. He might be strict and serious when he is at work, but I know that he loves me, and I can feel his love in every movement and every sight. He is not used to cuddling me every day, however, when he does it once a week or so it is clear that these actions are extremely sincere and come from the big heart of my father. Every single time he gives me a cuddle, I feel overwhelmed with love and his attention. And these are the most precious moments of our relationships with my father.

This is my hero the way I see him. This is the hero I love so much!  And it is the only thing which matters! I have the strong understanding that there are no perfect people in the Earth; however, my father is perfect for me. Seeing his confidence in me some day I want to make him proud. I thank God every day for giving me such a loving and caring father. Whenever I need his help, he is always free timed for me. He is like a hero to me. He is a funny, cool, adventurous and smart human being. This is my hero — my father.

Yuexi
      Participant

Hi, so sorry that I posted my writing late.

Here is my homework

Attachments:
Viewing 68 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar