Forums Writing Junior Writing 3

Viewing 41 reply threads
  • Author
      VMWEdu
      Keymaster
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 1

In today’s lesson we looked at the fundamental elements of story-writing, thinking particularly about the genre of suspense. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below and should be used to help plan and write the suspense story paragraphs assigned for homework. The powerpoint contains lots of ideas on suspenseful techniques, story arc structure, setting the scene using weather, the idea of ‘show, don’t tell’ and also the picture prompt that should be used to inspire the stories assigned for homework. Everyone did really well in today’s class, there was loads of lovely energy and enthusiasm and everyone contributed some brilliant ideas about how to make a story suspenseful. Everybody picked up on the techniques and ingredients needed when writing a suspense story really quickly, and I was really impressed by everyone’s creativity. Well done class and keep up the good work! 🙂

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      LucasT
      Participant

Hi Ms. Beth,

I’m Lucas Tong and the attached is my homework.😀

Best wishes,

Lucas

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Lucas,

Brilliant work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Drake
      Participant
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Drake,

Incredible work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      SelenaLi
      Participant

Selena’s writing assignment #1. Thank you.

SelenaLi
      Participant

Selena’s writing assignment #1. Thanks!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Selena,

Fantastic work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      SarahS
      Participant

Hi, I am Sarah

Attachments:
      TiaX
      Participant

Combing your hair

• Use a long rectangular shaped object and there is a gap between each tooth.
      • Put it on your hair.
      • Pull it up and down.
      • When you finish,put it away.
        Well done!

Making pizza

• Mix flour with water.
      • Squash it.
      • Find a place where you cook.
      • Find a oven.
      • Put cheese (mozzarella)on the dough(the thing that you squashed).
      • Put sliceed tomato on the dough.
      • Put meat (Luncheon meat, ham,pepperoni)on the dough.
      • Put it in the oven.
      • Wait for about ten minutes.
      • Take it out of the oven.
      • Put the pizza on a plate.
      • Find a thing that one of the sides is sharp.
      • Use the fork (the thing that one of the side is sharp).
      • Eat the pizza.
        Well done!

Reading

• Find something thathas many pages in it.
      • Open the first page of the book (the thing that has many pages in it).
      • Recognise the letters on the page.
      • Finish reading all of the pages.
      • Find another book.
      • Read the other book.
        Well done!
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 2

In this week’s lesson we looked at persuasive writing. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help write the persuasive letters assigned for homework. This week we looked at creating characters, specifically superheroes, and then looked at the conventions of letter writing, with a view to writing a persuasive letter from the perspective of a superhero applying to superhero academy. The attached powerpoint includes some persuasive techniques discussed in class along with a full explanation of the homework. Everyone worked really well this week, there was such amazing energy and ideas bouncing around. I was very impressed with how imaginative everyone was in creating their characters and then in thinking about persuasive writing more generally, and was wowed by everyone’s knowledge of persuasive techniques and how to write convincingly. Great lesson guys, and I look forward to seeing you next week 🙂

Homework 

Homework

Attachments:
      SarahS
      Participant

Hi, I’m Sarah

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Sarah,

Brilliant work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      LucasT
      Participant

Hi Ms.Beth, I’m Lucas and this is my homework.

Thank you, Lucas

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Lucas,

Wonderful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Drake
      Participant

Drake’s homework 2:

Dear Sir,

Hello! My name is Drake and I am writing to you because I hope to attend this Superhero Academy. I am a brave and heroic super boy. I have an amazing invisibility power that I can hide without being seen. For example, I can sneak up on bad robbers and bring back the belongings to the original owner. One cool thing about my power is that when I touch other heroes, they can become invisible for 10 minutes just like me! Well, I can stay invisible as long as I want. In addition, if I touch a bad person, they will not get my power. The most important thing is that I always use my power for good causes and never abuse it. So I hope  you will accept me into your Superhero Academy and train my invisibility powers to a great level!

Sincerely,

Drake

Beth
        Participant

Hi Drake,

Fantastic work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      SelenaLi
      Participant

hi Ms.Beth. This is my homework.📚📄

Attachments:
      SelenaLi
      Participant

This is my homework📄📚

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Selena,

Marvelous work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      SelenaLi
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Selena submitted the wrong version last time. She missed one paragraph in the essay. I have added the missing paragraph in this newly submitted version. Would you please comment it if you have time? Sorry for the inconvenience!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi,

No worries! I’ve attached further feedback below, great work! 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 3

In this today’s lesson we looked at poetry writing, working with a poem written by Roald Dahl and considering how he used rhyme, rhythm and imagery to create vivid poems. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below and is necessary in order to write the poem assigned for homework, as it contains the source poem that the homework is based upon. The powerpoint contains lots of ideas on rhythm and meter (such as iambic pentameter), rhyme schemes, imagery creation and also contains an exercise on how to write poetic techniques. Everyone did really well today, I was particularly impressed by everyone’s ability to speed-rhyme, and their ideas about the effect of Dahl’s use of rhythm, meter and rhyme. Keep up the good work and remember to really have fun with writing your own version of this poem based on a fairy-tale of your own choice! 🙂

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      LucasT
      Participant

Hey Ms.Beth,

Below is my homework for this week.

Good luck, Lucas Tong 😀

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Lucas,

Fabulous work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Drake
      Participant

You Can’t Catch Me!

A woman plans to eat a cookie

The cookie jumps out of the oven looking very hooky

Oh, It is a gingerbread man escaping like a snaky

“Stop! Come back here!” shouted the woman

The Gingerbread Man meets a wild bear

“Yummy! You look like a little bee!”

“Impossible! You can’t catch me!”

Behind the gingerbread man you see the woman and the bear chasing

The race and chase had just began

The gingerbread man is having fun

“Look at you so tired! There is no way you can catch me!”

After his words the gingerbread man jumps into the sea

Beth
        Participant

Hi Drake,

Super work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      SarahS
      Participant

hi, Sarah’s homework

SarahS
      Participant

Sarah

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Sarah,

Stunning work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      LucasT
      Participant

Hi Ms. Beth,

This is my homework this week😀 ( am I too early)?

Wish you luck,

Lucas

Attachments:
      LucasT
      Participant

Attachments:
      LucasT
      Participant

Hi Ms.Beth,

I accidentally sent two of the same homework  feel free to choose one😅

Sorry about that,

Lucas

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 4

In today’s lesson we looked at historical writing, using our inference skills to write about a day in history as if we were there using evidence we had gathered. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below and should be used to help write the historical stories assigned for homework. The powerpoint contains ideas on what evidence to use when inferring, the importance of sensory description, character development and story planning. Everyone did really well today, we had some lovely ideas about how to use historical evidence to write creatively, and some really nice contributions to the class regarding how to infer from source material what life was like in the past. Everyone contributed really well today and I was really impressed by everyone’s knowledge and imaginative responses to the questions we discussed, especially with regards to the beautiful language being used in the sensory description tasks which were really quite challenging! Really well done guys, keep it up and I will see you all next week. Have fun writing your descriptive historical stories! 🙂

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 4

In today’s lesson we looked at historical writing, using our inference skills to write about a day in history as if we were there using evidence we had gathered. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below and should be used to help write the historical stories assigned for homework. The powerpoint contains ideas on what evidence to use when inferring, the importance of sensory description, character development and story planning. Everyone did really well today, we had some lovely ideas about how to use historical evidence to write creatively, and some really nice contributions to the class regarding how to infer from source material what life was like in the past. Everyone contributed really well today and I was really impressed by everyone’s knowledge and imaginative responses to the questions we discussed, especially with regards to the beautiful language being used in the sensory description tasks which were really quite challenging! Really well done guys, keep it up and I will see you all next week. Have fun writing your descriptive historical stories! 🙂

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      LucasT
      Participant

Hi Ms. Beth I’m repeating my homework just in case you thought the last one was for last week.

Thank you,

Lucas

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Lucas,

Incredible work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      SarahS
      Participant

Sarah’s homework

SarahS
      Participant

Sarah’s

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Sarah,

Super work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      SelenaLi
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please check attached Selena’s homework this time and also the poetryI missed to submit last time. Thank you!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Selena,

Perfect work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi again Selena,

I’ve just attached your feedback for the poem you sent me. Great work!

Attachments:
      Drake
      Participant

The History Of Abraham Lincoln

On February 12, 1809, a man named Abraham Lincoln was born. He lived in a log cabin in Kentucky for sometime and grew up in Indiana. Abraham Lincoln loved reading books. He wanted to go to school and learn,  but his family was very poor and going to school was expensive. So Abraham Lincoln hewed down trees, built fences for the family, and plowed their land to make living. He was a brave and determined man.

In his life, Abraham Lincoln taught himself how to read, write, tell stories and give exceptional speeches. He also taught himself how to fix machines. When he was grown up, he became a lawyer. Then he married Mary Todd, and had 4 sons named: Robert, Eddie, Willie, and Tad.

As an excellent lawyer, Abraham Lincoln had been always trusted to make significant decisions for his town. In 1860, he was elected the 16th president of the United States. His portrait was also put on pennies and 5 dollar bills! Abraham Lincoln believed every person is equal and  Slavery must be prohibited. In 1863, he gave the significant speech-The Gettysburg Address, and lead Americans to stop Slavery after the Civil War.

But sadly, on April 14, 1865, a man called John Wilkes Booth assassinated Abraham Lincoln in a movie theater. Nowadays, people often go to the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C to honor Abraham Lincoln and his work.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Drake,

Good work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 5

In today’s lesson we looked at a completely new type of writing: speech writing, using the prompt of Martin Luther King’s I Have a Dream speech, one of the most influential and well-written speeches in history. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below and should be used to help plan and write the speeches assigned for homework. The powerpoint contains lots of ideas on speech writing techniques, the structure of a speech, what makes the I Have a Dream speech so powerful and effective, ideas on audience awareness and thoughts on the persuasive and literary devices that can be used in speeches to help corroborate the speaker’s point. Today’s class were absolutely outstanding, I was super impressed with everybody’s work. I was incredibly moved by the students’ discussion of the issues that they are passionate about, ranging from homelessness to animal testing to slavery, and I thought that their selection of role models were incredibly thoughtful. The discussions we had in today’s lesson were really inspiring and I absolutely loved hearing everyone’s reasons for why they had selected the role model they had. The students’ acted in such a mature way and the thoughts they had on emotional subjects were very moving and intelligent. I absolutely loved teaching this class, really really well done everyone. I really look forward to reading your persuasive speeches, and hope you have fun researching and writing them. I will see you all soon, thank you for such a lovely and moving class! 🙂

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      SarahS
      Participant

Hi, Beth. It’s Sarah’s homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Sarah,

Spectacular work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      LucasT
      Participant

Hi Ms. Beth,

This is my homework for this week

Good luck,

Lucas Tong

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Lucas,

Lovely work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Drake
      Participant

World Hero Medal Award Speech

Does anyone not know who Abraham Lincoln is? Abraham Lincoln is a great leader of the United States who has changed America’s history in the 1800’s. I think the World Hero Medal is designed for him, no one else. Don’t you agree?

We know Abraham Lincoln because he was the 16th president of the United States who fought against slavery for his whole life. In the dark times of the 1800’s, slaves in the south were controlled by slave owners and lived miserable lives. Abraham Lincoln couldn’t bear it so he joined the north and battled for the freedom of the slaves during the Civil War. As he commanded: “I say ‘try’; if we never try, we shall never succeed…”, there were many lives lost during the war but he never gave up his faith that every man deserves the same chance. A great leader with a determined mind deserves the World Hero Medal.

We know Abraham Lincoln because he gave the famous Gettysburg Address in the Civil war. Although he freed slaves in 10 states by 1863, the Civil War still continued and thousands of people died in the endless battles. It was President Lincoln who gave the powerful speech: “…Our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal…” People were deeply convinced by his speech and stand by his side to finally end this war. Without President Lincoln, slavery will not be prohibited forever. This medal must be given to Abraham Lincoln for abolishing slavery.

Last but not least, you might not know Abraham Lincoln for his contribution to the US economic system. He created the US national banking system. He established the Commissioner of Internal Revenue also known as the IRS later. Is there anyone who does not know the IRS? I guess not. So actually Abraham Lincoln is the founder of our progressive income tax system.

My final message today is to show you that Abraham Lincoln was the greatest president of the United States who abolished slavery, gave the Gettysburg Address, and founded IRS and US banking system. Therefore, Abraham Lincoln absolutely should be awarded the World Hero Medal. Thank you for listening.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Drake,

Outstanding work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 6

In today’s lesson we looked at dialect writing, thinking about how to use speech, dialect, idioms and colloquialisms to help build authentic and vivid characters. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below and should be used to help plan and write the conversations assigned for homework. The powerpoint contains lots of ideas on what dialect means and how to use dialect in writing through thinking about slang from Victorian London, considering Cockney Rhyming slang, character creation and using Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens as inspiration. The class did really well today, particularly in creating really fun and sparky Victorian characters and in creating their very own Cockney Rhyming slang words! I was impressed with their analysis of the Artful Dodger’s language from Oliver Twist in comparison to Oliver’s language, and the way in which they thought about how Dickens had used dialect to construct his characters. The characters they created in class were also really beautifully thought about and detailed, and they used all the knowledge they had gained in the lesson to articulate some really authentic and vivid ideas regarding dialect in general. Really well done guys, and remember to have fun with writing your Cockney dialect for homework. Keep up the great work guys! 🙂

Homework 

Homework

Attachments:
      Drake
      Participant

“Good afternoon! I am Barnacles. I know that you are Professor Inkling. It is very nice to meet you!”

“Oh how did you know me? Nice to meet you too, Barnacles, right?”

“I know you because I spotted you yesterday firing someone on the Octopod. You looked pretty meshugenah.”

“Was I? Sorry I don’t recognize your boat. There were too many people on the Octopod. Ah yes, I was kind of furious at that time.” Professor’s face turned pink.

“Let’s go to the coffee shop at the corner and have a good old rabbit.” Barnacles proposed.

“Okay, I think I owe you a pig’s because I didn’t know you.”

“Oh, that is on me. I would prefer some Rosie.” Barnacles looked through his pockets. “Aw, I forgot all my sausage and mash. Barney Rubble!”

“No big deal, I bought my sausage. I am confident that we will have a brilliant time together before I go home to meet MY trouble.” Professor Inkling blinked with a grin.

“I am honored to be with you, Professor. I am excited to learn more about your adventures in the sea with the Octonauts!” Barnacles stared anxiously.

“Oh that was nothing. I can tell you right now: Our mission was to take a Caribbean Octopus named Coba back to her home. But then Peso and I got trapped in the  Sat Actun Cenote of the Yucatan Jungle. Those boisterous creatures were Stewart to us. Luckily, the rest of the crew got us out before we were out of air. It was a close one.”

“It sounds adventurous and dangerous!” Barnacles was shocked and astonished. “Tell me more please!”

Beth
        Participant

Hi Drake,

Some really nice work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      LucasT
      Participant

Hi Ms. Beth,

I’ve attached my homework down below 😊

Thank you,

Lucas Tong

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Lucas,

Good work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      SarahS
      Participant

Hi Ms.Beth here’s my homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Sarah,

Gorgeous work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      SelenaLi
      Participant

Selena’s speech writing and dialect writing. Sorry for the late.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Selena,

No worries! Great work this week, I’ve attached feedback for both pieces of work below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 7

In today’s lesson, and our final lesson together, we looked at one last branch of creative writing following all of our work on prose, poetry and persuasive writing: playwriting (aka script writing). The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below and should be used to help plan and write the short playscripts assigned for homework. The powerpoint contains lots of ideas on the structure and features of a script, thoughts on stage directions, a glossary of dramatic terms, an extract from a Harold Pinter play which the class analysed and interpreted, and the play-writing prompts they need to include in their homework. Everyone did fantastically today, I was super impressed by how cogently and enthusiastically the class re-wrote the Pinter script, including their own stage directions and new lines of dialogue. Everyone responded beautifully to the information on the features of playwriting and dramatic terms associated with drama, and absorbed a huge amount of information in a very short period of time this lesson. I hope you have fun writing your scripts! I absolutely loved teaching this class today, and am sad that our time working together has come to an end for the time being! I hope that everyone enjoyed the lessons and can take away lots of different techniques and thoughts about creative writing. Remember to keep experimenting with different forms and styles of writing and to play around with language and techniques as much as possible- keep up the wonderful creativity and imagination you have all exhibited in our lessons together! Really well done everyone, you have been a superb class and have all done extremely well over the past seven weeks. Keep up the amazing work and hopefully I will see some of you in my lessons over the Christmas holidays! 🙂

Homework 

Homework

Attachments:
      Drake
      Participant

The Birthday Chatter

One afternoon in Nora’s house.

D-Dad

N-Nora

D:  (Cheerfully) I have something important to tell you! It’s your birthday today!

N: (Surprisingly) What? It’s my birthday today? May I have a cake and balloons please?

(N hugs D aggressively.)

D: Okay, here is your cake! It is a brown chocolate cake. I hope you really like it.

N: (Sadly) Oh no! I don’t like chocolate and it doesn’t have sprinkles! Dad, don’t you know I like vanilla cakes full of sprinkles and frosting?

(N almost burst into tears)

D: (Feeling sorry) I am so sorry! Yesterday I bought a vanilla cake but then I met our neighbors. And I gave it to them because yesterday was their 50th anniversary.

N: (Lower her head, feeling really disappointed) But I really want the vanilla flavored cake… not the chocolate one.

(The song “Tears in Heaven” gradually fades in.)

D: (Apologizing) Don’t cry my little cutie. Let’s buy a new vanilla cake right now.

N: (Raising head and opening her head) Hooray! That sounds great! Now which bakery should we go to?

(N curiously looks to her dad)

D: It is a surprise! I promise that it is your favorite bakery!

(D bends down and cuddles N up)

N: (Chuckles) I love you dad. You are the best!

(N kisses D on his cheek)

Beth
        Participant

Hi Drake,

Beautiful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      SarahS
      Participant

It’s Sarah this is my homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Sarah,

Some wonderful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
Viewing 41 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar