HistoryEssayWriting-Year7+-Wed(1700-1800)

Forums 2022 Winter Courses HistoryEssayWriting-Year7+-Wed(1700-1800)

Viewing 97 reply threads
  • Author
      VMWEdu
      Keymaster
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 1

In today’s class we began our history course ‘societies in flux’, thinking today about the big topics of history and its purpose and the concept of society at large. We began with a discussion of each student’s favourite part of history, thinking about why they were drawn to it, before moving on to debating some key quotations about the point of history. We spoke about different historiographical approaches, thinking about some ‘non-traditional’ fields, before moving onto defining society. We watched a video on the development of society thinking about how some theorists say technology is the driving force of history, and then spoke about the rules, norms and boundaries of our modern society. Finally, we discussed how these rules and norms changed over time, thinking about how ideas change and which of our modern norms may alter in the future (robots!). Finally we looked at history essay structures, thinking about how to write a compelling essay. Amazing work today class- you were enthusiastic and debated some really excellent points throughout. Creative thinking abounded today- really well done to absolutely everyone, excellent work and I look forward to our next lesson! 🙂

Video on society we watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsRSL3duSko

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Yunshu
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please find my homework attached below. Thanks for the splendid lesson on history- I really enjoyed it. Since I didn’t have much time for the homework, I only focused on the question “Is it necessary that the next generation is taught about history?”.

Kind Regards,

Yunshu

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yunshu,

I’m so glad you enjoyed the lesson!

That’s play, you only needed to answer one anyway 🙂

Fabulous work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Amber
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the splendiaficent lesson!

—————————————————————————————————————–

The Ballad of Winkie, Pigeon Army Veteran

Over the seas which did bubleedee

Winkie, Winkie, Tweak-a pinky,

The vroom of engines sang

Then quieted the engines did

And hand by hand raised Winkie clear

She flew away, away, away

Above the arcing ocean

A minute and an hour

And Back She came

Boatload towed the mighty engine away

And safe, oh safe, Winkie and her name

They gave her a roost

A boostof pride

A shiny golden medal

And no reason to hide

Winkie, Winkie, Winkie,

Veteran of the skies

O how quick you flew

How small your limp

And carrier pigeons, carrier pigeons,

Listen to the tale of Winkie, oh do

Attachments:
        Amber
        Participant

Sorry, but I uploaded the wrong paper edition- I have attached my final edition beneath REPLY #2838

🧐

Amber
          Participant

No, no, no- Reply #28358

Beth
        Participant

Hi Amber,

What an absolutely fabulous poem about Winkie- lovely addition. It’s a great story from history 😀

Gorgeous work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Amber
      Participant

The remarkable pigeon I mentioned in my ballad even has her/his (I used ‘her’ for the ballad) own Wikipedia page!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winkie_(pigeon)

Amber
        Participant

Oh- sorry! This is the final edition of my paper- uploaded the wrong one ☺🛠🖋

Attachments:
      jaydenP
      Participant

Question: why is the point of history?

Many people will first ask what is history? Well history is the knowledge and study of the past. It is also a story of the past a collective memory. History is a story of where we came from, how we originated and can potentially reveal where we are heading in the future.

History builds empathy through studying the lives and the struggling  of others. Studying the diversity of human experience may help us in the later years because history his known to repeat itself. History is also a notebook of what had happened in the past, this could be useful because, if some disaster suddenly degrades humanity we could still read books or plans that lived on and make things that we had before. The history of human civilisation can show us a clear picture of how the various aspects of society – such as technology, governmental systems, and even society as a whole — worked in the past so we understand how it came to work the way it is now.

Studying history also allows us to observe and understand how people and societies behaved. For example we are able to evaluate war, even when a nation is at peace, by looking back at previous events. History provides us with data that is used to create laws, or theories about the various aspects of society.

History gives us the opportunity to learn from others past mistakes. It helps us understand the many reasons why people may behave the way they do. As a result, it helps us become more impartial as decision-makers.The study of history is a non-negotiable aspect of better citizenship. This is one of the main reasons why it is taught as a part of school curricula. People that push for citizenship history (relationship between a citizen and the state) just want to promote a strong national identity and even national loyalty through the teaching of lessons of individual and collective success.

History can help provide us with a sense of identity. This is actually one of the main reasons that history is still taught in schools around the world. Historians have been able to learn about how countries, families, and groups were formed, and how they evolved and developed over time. When an individual takes it upon themselves to dive deep into their own family’s history, they can understand how their family interacted with larger historical change. Did family serve in major wars? Were they present for significant events?

History helps us understand present-day issues by asking deeper into questions to why things are the way they are. Why did wars in Europe in the 20th century matter to countries around the world? How did Hitler gain and maintain power for as long as he had? How has this had an effect on shaping our world and our global political system today?

If we want to truly understand why something happened — in any area or field, such as one political party winning the last election vs the other, or a major change in the number of smokers — you need to look for factors that took place earlier. Only through the study of history can people really see and grasp the reasons behind these changes, and only through history can we understand what elements of an institution or a society continue regardless of continual change.

History can help us become better informed citizens. It shows us who we are as a collective group, and being informed of this is a key element in maintaining a democratic society. This knowledge helps people take an active role in the political forum through educated debates and by refining people’s core beliefs. Through knowledge of history, citizens can even change their old belief systems. From this we can infer that history plays a major role in the world so history is very important.

Yichen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the glorious lesson – I really enjoyed it, and I love history! 💖

Here is my homework.

Yichen

Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

So glad you enjoyed the lesson!

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Oops! I forgot the attachment…

Here is my homework.

Attachments:
      Johnny
      Participant

WHAT IS THE POINT OF HISTORY?

If the recorded works of ancestral culture were not written or uncovered, we wouldn’t have had a chance to witness it, neither would we if the creator or the fundamental tools intended to be used were not there. We would be left clueless about a topic we could have been studying if it was wiped out or non-existent in history.

This is in the fact that we are the point of history. Without us, nobody would record, know anything or even be able to recognise it. We are the point. If people never dug in Pompeii to recover ruins, we would know nothing about it. If Caecilius’s house along with preserved objects was never covered in ash, nothing about life there would be uncovered and a volcano would be the end of a civilisation while being unknown to the public living in a new or separate era or area.

History is for us to record. If a potter never made pots that survived onto display in a museum that might earn him a name in history, we might not know if potters existed, if people liked to make pots, if anything could be possible and we would be confused by what happens after a person’s belongings were abandoned or left there.

Everything recorded in history books were by us. History is only accounted if there was someone to witness it. If a natural disaster managed to destroy a whole reef and the only beings or entities there were fish, crustaceans and other marine animals, we wouldn’t witness it or be able to deduce how it happened. That’s the point of history. We were there to witness it, to record it and make it known as a terrible problem or a blessed sign. Without anyone there making changes or reporting changes, parts of the ancient or old world remain an uncovered mystery.

The point is to record. If a recognised figure do anything wrong alone, he could cover it up and make it seem as if nothing happened at all. We can only find and calculate history that is recorded. If it is not, there will be no evidence, no proof for every proposal in history. We would be left bewildered if there was no evidence for everything. That’s the point. If an artist burned his work after doing it, he would not be well known, even criticised for someone witnessed it, told others to spread the word. This chain reaction of exchange of comments allows any witness happenings start being well known and then loss or gain support.

The answer to the question: What is the point of history is answered. The point is us: that we record and witness, that we read and take account, to spread the word to others to gain a large agreement with others. Without us, history wouldn’t exist in the form we currently know it as. There would be no evidence or remnants, meaning that anything said would be foolishly accepted or dismissed due to lack of evidence.

Now the creator of the fundamental tools might be able to share his method of potting and crafting with the future, possibly bringing the past to the present. It is ideal to start thinking about the past and the ways it paved for the future. Once looking back at our records, we can see how we have progressed through eras just through a recorded book by a historian.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Johnny,

Superb work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      :Aryan:
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thanks for the awesome class ψ(`∇´)ψ.

Please find my homework attached.

Thanks,

Aryan

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Aryan,

It’s my pleasure!

Marvellous work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Alastair
      Participant

Hi Beth,

I attached my essay assignment for Week 1.

Regards

Alastair

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Alastair,

Dazzling work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Yunshu
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the informative and interesting lesson. 👏✨Please find my homework attached.

Kind Regards,

Yunshu

Attachments:
        Yunshu
        Participant

Sorry! I put it up before you uploaded the powerpoint, but once I had finished my essay it wasn’t uploaded, so I uploaded my essay.

Yunshu
          Participant

This is for 1700-1800 lesson, 18/01/23 (when you mark it).

Beth
        Participant

Hi Yunshu,

Great work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 2

In today’s class we began the first of our time-period lessons, thinking today about the topic empire & society. We began with a discussion of what an empire was, tracing this back to Ancient Rome and thinking about how it differs from a kingdom, how it relies on unequal power dynamics and how it is under one ruling body. We thought then about the concept of colonialism and the impact this has on the societies of both colonised and colonising countries. The class spoke beautifully about theories of exploitation in colonialism and shared some excellent knowledge about the British Empire, which we spoke about in reference to the history of it. We learnt a quote from Gandhi about the experience of living in a colonised country, and touched on the political, economic, racial and culturalist components of the British Empire and how it functioned. Finally we watched a video on the debate over Christopher Columbus and the class wrote some outstanding essay introductions on a debate question of their choice, choosing between the British museum’s colonial artefacts and the Columbus debate. These intros were really impressive- clear, concise and compelling. Everyone worked really excellently today- sharing lots of incredible analyses, ideas and thoughts throughout our lesson. It was a pleasure to see you all, well done for all your hard and inquisitive work and I’ll see you next week 🙂

P.S. If you guys have any questions about essay structure, just post them below and I’ll get back to you!

Video on empire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwgHIvt4sNc&embeds_euri=https%3A%2F%2Fhubblecontent.osi.office.net%2F&feature=emb_logo

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      jaydenP
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the great lesson.

I felt really perplexed about the first question about “what is the difference between a empire and kingdom.” but in the end I understood.

Thank you again

homework down below (attached)

Attachments:
        Amber
        Participant

Sorry, sorry- the attachment for my response bellow isn’t my final edition- the one after that is

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jayden,

Attachments:
      Amber
      Participant

Dear  Beth,

Thank you for the splendifidous lesson!

I have attached my homework bellow.

Interesting fact: many colonies of the past British Empire still have a Union Jack on their flags, even though they aren’t really colonies of Britain anymore, such as Australia, New Zealand and even Hawaii!

Attachments:
        Amber
        Participant

Sorry, sorry- the attachment for my response above isn’t my final edition- the one after that is

Amber
      Participant

Dear Beth,

My apologies! I attached the wrong edition again-silly me! 😏😊😁😀😅😃

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Amber,

No worries at all!

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the interesting lesson! 👏 It was very informative and I really enjoyed it.💖

See you on Wednesday! Have a lovely week.😊

Here is my homework

Yichen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

I’m so happy that you enjoyed the class!

Brilliant work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Eva
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the lesson!

Eva

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Eva,

You’re so welcome!

Attachments:
      Elsa❀
      Participant

Dear Beth,

This is my homework! Thank you for the lesson

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Elsa,

L0vely work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Alastair
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please find attached my essay assignment for Week 2.

Many thanks

Alastair

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Alastair,

Superb work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Yunshu
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is my homework. Thanks for the informative and interesting lesson.

Kind Regards,

Yunshu

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yunshu,

I’ve uploaded your feedback above, where you first posted your work 🙂

Participant

Dear Beth,

I am so sorry for the late submission, but attached is my homework

Sorry!

Thanks,

Aryan

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Aryan,

No worries!

Outstanding work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 3

In today’s class we completed our lesson on the industrial revolution, thinking about the ways in which it fundamentally altered modern society. We began with a discussion of what the industrial revolution was, using a Crash Course history video to help us, before moving on to thinking about the inventions produced by this period and how they affected society. We thought about the social structures that shifted during this time, and looked at both Dickens’ and Marx’s analysis of what the industrial revolution entailed. The class analysed Marx’s theory beautifully and we spoke about the notion of modernity and how this relates to philosophical ideas regarding the individual and their place in society. We spoke about inventions, science and economics, linking these systems to huge changes in the way people lived. The class also spoke excellently on the topic of the division of labour and urbanisation, which was great to hear. Excellent work as ever today class, really impressive. It was great to see you all and hear all your fascinating ideas- well done and see you next week 🙂

Video we watched (watch the rest if you have time!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjK7PWmRRyg

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      jaydenP
      Participant

Dear Beth,

thank you for the wonderful, stupefying and amazing lesson I learnt many new thing 🙂

thank you

my homework is attached below.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jayden,

You are so welcome!

Attachments:
      Amber
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the most scrumptious lesson, as always!

(Above: Industrial Revolution GIF)

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Amber,

You’re very welcome!

Outstanding work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Amber
      Participant

Actually, Ford assemblage line GIF!王去

Johnny
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Here’s my homework. Thank you for the FANTASTIC lesson.

See you on Wednesday!

Johnny

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Johnny,

You’re very welcome!

Attachments:
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thanks for the awesome lesson o(* ̄▽ ̄*)ブ!!

Attached is my homework.

Thanks,

Aryan

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Aryan,

Lovely work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the splendidly magnificent lesson! I am learning a lot from this history course so far, and I really enjoy it. 😛 I can’t wait for next lesson😀

Here is my homework.

Yichen 🎉

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

I’m so happy to hear that you’re enjoying the course!

Beautiful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Elsa❀
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is my homework! I’m really enjoying the lessons so far, thank you!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Elsa,

I’m glad to hear it!

Fab work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Alastair
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Attached is my history assignment for the third week.

Many thanks

Alastair

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Alastair,

Splendid work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 4

In today’s class we spoke about the women’s rights movement, focusing on the events of the early 1900s and thinking about how this has expanded over the past one hundred years. We began with a discussion of what the class knew about the fight for women’s equality, learning about the suffragette movement and watching a BBC summary of the campaign for women’s suffrage. We spoke about the difference between the approach of the suffragettes and suffragists and thought about what the suffragettes broke off from the central movement. We then questioned who was excluded from these movements- i.e., poor women, younger women, unmarried women, non-white women- and thought about other rights that women had to fight for- i.e., education and economic independence. We then learnt about Virginia Wolff’s concept of ‘a room of one’s own’ and touched on de Beauvoir’s idea that “one is not born, but is made, a woman” discussing the role of socialisation. Finally the class beautifully tackled some debate questions on women in history, how the status of women has changed society and the concept of patriarchy in history. Passionate and inspiring work today class- really well done! You grappled with the history of this period amazingly and were able to apply some fantastic political theory to these ideas of how women through the ages have fought for liberation. Really powerful work from every single one of you- see you next week 🙂

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Full Woolf quote for essay question:

“Intellectual freedom depends on material things. Poetry depends upon intellectual freedom. And women have always been poor, not for 200 years merely, but from the beginning of time. Women have had less intellectual freedom than the sons of Athenian slaves. Women, then, have not had a dog’s chance of writing poetry.”

Yichen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the glorious lesson – I really enjoyed it! Here is my homework.😀

Yichen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

You’re welcome- I’m glad you enjoyed it!

Attachments:
      Amber
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the absolutely inspiring lesson!

———————————–

Amazonia: Or The Suffrage Vow                            by Amber

Rise ye to the call of the horn of duty

Rise ye in the morning to caracal’s calls

We in Suffrage fight for freedom

We in Suffrage endeavor for the Vote

We in Suffrage are loyal

And not even storm or hail shall  do us part

Thus in these words of truth

Do I henceforth swear

That dresses will be shed

And bloomers to be worn

That many a day shall pass in prison cells galore

Yet Suffragette will I be in heart

And many a hardship will I surpass

Unto this vow I do declare

My most faithful Servitude

To both The Lord Above

And my fellow Suffrage women!

*(this is my imagining of what a vow for the Suffragettes would look like 🙂 )

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Amber,

I love this imagining of a Suffragette vow- so creative!

Attachments:
      Johnny
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Here is my homework. Thank you for the awesome lesson on suffrage (●’◡’●)╰(*°▽°*)╯

Johnny

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Johnny,

It’s my pleasure!

Amazing work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      jaydenP
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the prodigious lesson!

below is my homework (attached)

thank you

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jayden,

You’re welcome!

Attachments:
      Yunshu
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the amazing lesson. Here is my homework attached.

Kind Regards,

Yunshu

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yunshu,

Attachments:
          Yunshu
          Participant

Thanks for the feedback. I just wanted to point out that I meant that in Britain women were fairly equal to men. I forgot to mention some other parts of the world.

Eva
      Participant

Dear Beth,

(I think I forgot to submit my answer for last week’s class. Apologies for the lateness!)

-Eva

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Eva,

No worries!

Great work, I’ve attached both pieces of feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Elsa❀
      Participant

Dear Beth,

This is my homework! Sorry I couldn’t attend the lesson last week, but I watched the recording.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Elsa,

No worries, thank you for catching up!

Attachments:
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thanks for the fabulastic class (ノ*ФωФ)ノ!

Attached is my homework.

Thanks,

Aryan

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Aryan,

Attachments:
      Alastair
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Attached is my history assignment for Week 4.

Many thanks

Alastair

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Alastair,

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 5

In today’s class we discussed fascism and the age of dictators, unpicking the reasons for the 20th century’s history of disruption, dictatorship and political instability. We began with a discussion of the key terms of fascism and dictator, before moving on to thinking specifically what kinds of political behaviour fascism entails. We learnt about Hitler and Mussolini as examples of fascist dictators and the class completed some excellent research on both these leaders, thinking about their similarities and differences. We spoke about how racism and nationalism play into these ideologies, thinking also about the role of violence and the cult of the leader. Finally we touched on how this impacts society and thought about the way in which resistance could be fought against fascism, thinking about Gramsci the Italian Marxist who fought Mussolini before his own arrest. Really fantastic work as usual- the class were insightful and engaged and I loved hearing all their well-informed and carefully thought through opinions. Well done everyone- see you next week 🙂

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant
      Eva
      Participant

Dear Beth,

-Eva

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Eva,

Attachments:
      jaydenP
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for an amazing lesson!!!

My homework is attached below.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jayden,

Super work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      jaydenP
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for an amazing lesson!!!

My homework is attached below.

Attachments:
      Amber
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the delicious lesson!

—————————————————————————–

Riddle:

Do chocolate eggs

dream of milky white sheep

For a reason unknown

Do, oh do tell

Of what that reason might be!

ANSWER: The chocolate eggs dream of milky white sheep because they are too fascist to dream of grey, black, brown yellow, and white sheep- uh oh- it appears that there might be some very common chocolate egg dictators going around next Holiday…

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Amber,

A chocolate egg dictator is a very intriguing image!

Attachments:
      Johnny
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Here is my homework! Thank you for the most delightful lesson.😁😁😁👏👏👏✨✨✨

Johnny

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Johnny,

I’m so glad you enjoyed the lesson!

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the brilliant lesson! I really enjoyed it. Here is my homework!😊

Yichen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

You’re very welcome!

Attachments:
      Alastair
      Participant

Hi Beth,

I attached my history essay for Week 5.

Regards

Alastair

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Alastair,

Extraordinary work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Elsa❀
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Here is my homework, thanks so much for the lesson!

Best regards,

Elsa

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Elsa,

You’re so welcome!

Attachments:
      Participant

Dear Beth,

I am so sorry for sending it late: I am on holiday so I couldn’t get much time off.

Please find my homework attached.

Thanks,

Aryan

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Aryan,

no worries at all!

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 6

In today’s class we worked on race and society in the USA, thinking about the civil rights movement of the 1950s and 60s and learning about the history behind it. We began with a discussion of what civil rights are, thinking about breaking the terms down to understand them, before moving on to a history of race and racism in the US. We looked at key legislation such as the Jim Crow laws and spoke about the societal context of the 1940s, 50s and 60s. We then learnt about some of the key moments in the civil rights movement, such as the Montgomery bus boycott and Little Rock Nine, which the class completed a research task on. Finally we discussed what the impact of racism is on society- the class shared some really thoughtful ideas and dealt with these big topics in a mature and sensitive way. Really impressive work today everyone- well done for all your excellent ideas about how this history fits into the history we have learnt before too! Amazing job and see you next week 🙂

Civil Rights Crash Course video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S64zRnnn4Po

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      jaydenP
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the great lesson!!!

my week 6 homework is attached below!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jayden,

Nice work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below.  See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Johnny
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the scrumdiddlyumptious lesson today!😁😁✨✨👍👍👍

Here is my homework.

See you next week!

Johnny

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Johnny,

You’re welcome!

Attachments:
      Amber
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the lesson! Even though I did not go to the actual zoom lesson due to a rest day, I could see in the recording how passionate you are on the topic. 🙂

——————————————-

Martin Luther King Junior’s full I Have A Dream Speech:

I am happy to join with you today in what will go down in history as the greatest demonstration for freedom in the history of our nation.

Five score years ago, a great American, in whose symbolic shadow we stand today, signed the Emancipation Proclamation. This momentous decree came as a great beacon of hope to millions of slaves, who had been seared in the flames of whithering injustice. It came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night of their captivity. But one hundred years later, the colored America is still not free. One hundred years later, the life of the colored American is still sadly crippled by the manacle of segregation and the chains of discrimination.

One hundred years later, the colored American lives on a lonely island of poverty in the midst of a vast ocean of material prosperity. One hundred years later, the colored American is still languishing in the corners of American society and finds himself an exile in his own land So we have come here today to dramatize a shameful condition.

In a sense we have come to our Nation’s Capital to cash a check. When the architects of our great republic wrote the magnificent words of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, they were signing a promissory note to which every American was to fall heir.

This note was a promise that all men, yes, black men as well as white men, would be guaranteed the inalienable rights of life liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

It is obvious today that America has defaulted on this promissory note insofar as her citizens of color are concerned. Instead of honoring this sacred obligation, America has given its colored people a bad check, a check that has come back marked “insufficient funds.”

But we refuse to believe that the bank of justice is bankrupt. We refuse to believe that there are insufficient funds in the great vaults of opportunity of this nation. So we have come to cash this check, a check that will give us upon demand the riches of freedom and security of justice.

We have also come to his hallowed spot to remind America of the fierce urgency of Now. This is not time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drug of gradualism.

Now is the time to make real the promise of democracy.

Now it the time to rise from the dark and desolate valley of segregation to the sunlit path of racial justice.

Now it the time to lift our nation from the quicksand of racial injustice to the solid rock of brotherhood.

Now is the time to make justice a reality to all of God’s children.

I would be fatal for the nation to overlook the urgency of the moment and to underestimate the determination of it’s colored citizens. This sweltering summer of the colored people’s legitimate discontent will not pass until there is an invigorating autumn of freedom and equality. Nineteen sixty-three is not an end but a beginning. Those who hope that the colored Americans needed to blow off steam and will now be content will have a rude awakening if the nation returns to business as usual.

There will be neither rest nor tranquility in America until the colored citizen is granted his citizenship rights. The whirlwinds of revolt will continue to shake the foundations of our nation until the bright day of justice emerges.

We can never be satisfied as long as our bodies, heavy with the fatigue of travel, cannot gain lodging in the motels of the highways and the hotels of the cities.

We cannot be satisfied as long as the colored person’s basic mobility is from a smaller ghetto to a larger one.

We can never be satisfied as long as our children are stripped of their selfhood and robbed of their dignity by signs stating “for white only.”

We cannot be satisfied as long as a colored person in Mississippi cannot vote and a colored person in New York believes he has nothing for which to vote.

No, no we are not satisfied and we will not be satisfied until justice rolls down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream.

I am not unmindful that some of you have come here out of your trials and tribulations. Some of you have come from areas where your quest for freedom left you battered by storms of persecutions and staggered by the winds of police brutality.

You have been the veterans of creative suffering. Continue to work with the faith that unearned suffering is redemptive.

Go back to Mississippi, go back to Alabama, go back to South Carolina go back to Georgia, go back to Louisiana, go back to the slums and ghettos of our modern cities, knowing that somehow this situation can and will be changed.

Let us not wallow in the valley of despair. I say to you, my friends, we have the difficulties of today and tomorrow.

I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed. We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal.

I have a dream that one day out in the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slaveowners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by their character.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification; that one day right down in Alabama little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be engulfed, every hill shall be exalted and every mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plains and the crooked places will be made straight and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together.

This is our hope. This is the faith that I will go back to the South with. With this faith we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope.

With this faith we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood.

With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to climb up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.

This will be the day when all of God’s children will be able to sing with new meaning “My country ’tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing. Land where my father’s died, land of the Pilgrim’s pride, from every mountainside, let freedom ring!”

And if America is to be a great nation, this must become true. So let freedom ring from the hilltops of New Hampshire. Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York.

Let freedom ring from the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania.

Let freedom ring from the snow-capped Rockies of Colorado.

Let freedom ring from the curvaceous slopes of California.

But not only that, let freedom, ring from Stone Mountain of Georgia.

Let freedom ring from every hill and molehill of Mississippi and every mountainside.

When we let freedom ring, when we let it ring from every tenement and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God’s children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old spiritual, “Free at last, free at last. Thank God Almighty, we are free at last.”

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Amber,

Thank you for including the speech, it’s so inspiring!

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the lesson. 😊Sorry I couldn’t attend the lesson, I was in London. I think this is a very interesting topic, and I can hear from your voice in the recording that you are very passionate about it too. (BOO to racism!👎🏼)

Here is my homework.

Yichen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

No worries, I’m glad you got to watch it and that you are also passionate about anti-racism 😀

Attachments:
      Eva
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thank you for the amazing lesson!

Eva

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Eva,

You’re welcome!

Good work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Elsa❀
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the fantastic lesson! Here’s my homework:

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Elsa,

It’s my pleasure!

Some good work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Alastair
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Attached is my history assignment for Week 6.

Kind regards

Alastair

Attachments:
        Alastair
        Participant

Hi Beth,

I made several minor amendments to my essay.

Regards

Alastair

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Alastair,

Exemplary work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 7

In today’s class we studied revolutionary Cuba, thinking about placing Cuba in the wider historical context of revolutions across the ages. We began with a discussion of what a revolution is and famous revolutions the class knew about before watching a potted history of the revolution in Cuba. We discussed the factors that lead to revolution such as repressive government, poverty, instability and violence. We learnt about Che Guevara and the debate over his role in the revolution and learnt about the events leading up to 1959 and the aftermath. We spoke about the US’s role in supporting Batista and other Latin American dictatorships and finally discussed the importance of symbolism in revolutionary movements worldwide. Fantastic work everyone- you all came up with excellent contributions and thoughts and demonstrated lots of passion for history in today’s lesson. Well done, I look forward to reading your essays! Have a lovely week 🙂

Website to read about US/Cuba: https://openendedsocialstudies.org/2017/04/18/the-duty-of-the-hour-the-cuban-revolution-part-i/

History of Cuban Revolution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duk_paBBTwE

History vs. Che video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjrvKA4w9-Y

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      jaydenP
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the amazing lesson

my work is attached below

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jayden,

You are very welcome!

Some good work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Amber
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank You for the ‘revolutionary’ lesson! 😉

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Amber,

You’re welcome!
        Extraordinary work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Amber
      Participant

Eva
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the amazing lesson!

-Eva

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Eva,

You’re very welcome!

Attachments:
      Johnny
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the super lesson😁😁😁✨✨✨🎉🎉🎉.

Here is my homework.

The progressive historical role of capitalism may be summed up in two brief propositions: increase in the productive forces of social labour, and the socialisation of that labour. But both these facts manifest themselves in extremely diverse processes in different branches of the national economy.

Lenin, The Development of Capitalism in Russia, The “The Mission of Capitalism” (1899)

See you next lesson!

Johnny

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Johnny,

You’re so welcome!

Wonderful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the fantabulous lesson, it was revolutionary! I really enjoyed discussing revolutions. Here is my homework, have a great day and see you next week.😊

Yichen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

I’m so happy that you enjoyed this class so much and the topic of revolution!

Attachments:
      Alastair
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Attached is my history assignment for Week 7.

Kind regards

Alastair

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Alastair,

Very impressive work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Participant

Dear Beth,

I’m very sorry I couldn’t do my homework earlier, but I had to prepare for a history competition. Please find it attached.

Sorry again,

Aryan

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Aryan,

No worries, I hope the competition went well!

Fab work, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 8

In today’s class we studied the fall of the USSR, thinking about how this affected society on both sides of the Iron Curtain. We began with learning about the USSR itself, thinking about the myriad of countries and populations that were incorporated within it. We then thought about the fall of the USSR, watching a video that outlined some of the reasons for its decline. The class completed research in groups as to the impact of this change on society in four different regions, before we moved on to some source work. We spoke about different kinds of historical sources and then examined the book Stasiland thinking about what its benefits and limitations are. Finally we studied a quote about the power of the people in the toppling of the Berlin wall. Amazing work everyone- I was particularly impressed by your group work and your discussion of sources and how to use them. Excellent ideas class- keep it up and see you next week 🙂

Berlin wall video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9fQPzZ1-hg

Fall of USSR video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZdijf1U7OY

Homework 

hmwr

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the glorious lesson! I really enjoyed discussing the USSR. 😊Here is my homework, see you next week!

Yichen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

You’re very welcome, I’m glad you enjoyed it!

Attachments:
      jaydenP
      Participant

Dear Beth

thank you for the fantastic lesson!!!!!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jayden,

Some good work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon  🙂

Attachments:
      Johnny
      Participant

Cold War: Fall of USSR

“We are living in a new world”-Mikhail Gorbachev

The Cold War: a heated, non-violent competition between the two superpowers on two totally different sides. USA vs USSR. Capitalist vs Communist. Such intensity and pressure put on both economies on low and it was literally a fight to the death. Both suffered economic calamity, but while Ronald Reagan pushed the US economy to grow (and spending about a trillion dollars with his plans during his presidency), nobody cared or helped the Soviet economy, causing them to fall in ruin, showing how the massive advantage in economy and quality of life could help one factor lose or win dramatically.

How could a non-violent war raging on for forty years collapse the largest ever communist regime? It’s more about the stability of the country that may be impacted on by other countries, not the gradual deterioration of one’s economy by forceful tampering by for example the CIA. It was Soviet choices to still strive to win in response to another superpower’s achievements.

Reagan’s rise to power in 1981 was momentous. In the first years of his presidency, he looked at the human rights treatment in USSR and called them an “Evil Empire”. He also aimed to push the Arms Race further for government economic spending, which further pushed the USA ahead of the Soviets. One of the famed examples include the Space Defence Initiative (Star Wars) which was basically an anti-nuke shield capable of destroying any Russian Missiles in Range of the US, which worried the Soviets even more at seeing such an advance to an extent that they started creating more inventions and ideas in response.

Such pushes weakened the economy and made the Soviet Union seem weak in the hands of a capitalist and thriving nation. This would lead to the crumble as well.

In total, the Soviet Union collapsed due to the Cold War and Arms Race spending that was going to the military, not the people.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Johnny,

Attachments:
      Amber
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the stupendelicious lesson!

————————————————-

(≧▽≦*)o

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Amber,

You’re very welcome!

Glorious work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Eva
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the super lesson!

-Eva

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Eva,

You’re welcome!

Fantastic work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Yunshu
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here’s my homework attached. Thank you for the splendid lesson. 🎆🎇✨

Kind Regards,

Yunshu

Attachments:
      Alastair
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Attached is my history assignment for Week 8.

Kind regards

Alastair

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Alastair,

Excellent work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thanks for the amazing lesson ヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノ! Please find my homework attached.

Thanks,

Aryan

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Aryan,

You’re very welcome!

Insightful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 9

In today’s class we finished our penultimate history lesson of the course, looking at the technological revolution from 1983-modern times. We began with a writing workshop, going back over how to structure history essays and build an argument. Then we thought about the internet and how it has changed society, before watching an explanation of the four technological revolutions in history from 1760-today. The class then debated the question “was the internet the worst thing to ever happen to society” focusing on the years 1983-2018 and thinking about events such as the Millenium Bug. Finally, we thought about how we can be witnesses to history, how history is not something dead and buried but a living practice. We discussed how to use historical sources when talking about more modern history and how to make sure a history essay is always rooted in historical examples. Well done everyone for all your debating and ideas today- good luck with your prep for the mock and see you next week 🙂

P.S. Remember you can only use 35-40 mins for this week’s homework to prep for the mock. Should be writing around 1000-1200 words 🙂

Video to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4AQ7x9jXN4&t=176s

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the glorious lesson! 👏I can’t wait for the mock test, it’s really exciting, but a teensy-weensy bit daunting. 😉I really enjoyed the lesson, especially the debate bit – I liked hearing everyone’s thoughts/opinions.

Here is my homework. I’m really proud of it, considering it was timed!😀

Yichen

PS Dogs chase cheese! (Dogs chase cats, cats chase mice, mice chase cheese – kind of😉)

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

You’re welcome! Don’t feel too daunted by the mock- you’ll do amazingly 😀

Attachments:
      Amber
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thanks for the glorious lesson as always and:

Happy (day-after) Women’s Day!

(I tried my best with the keyboard-spelling in the test time, but there are still a few typos, sorry :))

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Amber,

You’re welcome! Happy belated Women’s Day to you too 😀

Attachments:
      Yunshu
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thanks for the amazing lesson. I look forward to the mock exam next week. 🙂

I included some images in my work this week and I hope that’s okay. Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Yunshu

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yunshu,

You’re welcome! Of course, using images is fab 😀

Attachments:
      Eva
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the super lesson!

Eva

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Eva,

It’s my pleasure!

Attachments:
      Elsa❀
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Please have a look at my work, thank you for the brilliant lesson.

Elsa

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Elsa,

Super work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Alastair
      Participant

Hi Beth,

I attached my history essay for Week 9.

Many thanks for the brlliant lessons you have given me.

Kind regards

Alastair

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Alastair,

You’re so welcome!

Terrific work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      jaydenP
      Participant

Dear beth,

thank you for the momentous lesson!

my work is down below

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jayden,

It’s my pleasure!

Great work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon :).

Attachments:
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the lesson (ノ*ФωФ)ノ! Please find my homework attached.

Thanks,

Aryan

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Aryan,

You’re welcome!

Brill work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 10

In today’s lesson, we finished our winter history course with our mini mock exam. We began with a recap of the key skills we’ve studied, went over the general tips I have for all of them for their writing, and had a Q&A session on essay writing and the mock. The class then wrote their mock exams, choosing from prompts based on the subjects we studied. They all worked beautifully today and were diligent and thoughtful throughout. Really well-done class, it has been really amazing teaching you all and I’ve absolutely loved all our debates and discussions. You are all excellent historians and should be very proud of yourselves and all your incredible skills. I’ve really loved our history lessons together and hope to see you all again in the next course. You have all really impressed me- keep up the great work! 🙂

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Yunshu
      Participant

Hello Beth,

Thanks for the splendid history essay course; I hope I can join the next course. Sociology is a subject that I haven’t studied before and gave me a different insight into history. Society in Flux was an interesting topic; I look forward to learning about a new topic.

Please find my mock attached, I did the question on Women’s Rights.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Yunshu

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yunshu,

I’m so glad you found the course interesting!

Amazing work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      jaydenP
      Participant

Dear Beth,

thank you for the brill final lesson

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jayden,

You’re welcome!
        Good work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Eva
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for these brilliant ten lessons! They were very useful and fun, thank you!

Please find attatched bellow my mock essay

Thank you again!

Eva

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Eva,

I’m so glad you enjoyed the lessons!

Fantastic work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thanks for the whole course! It was a pleasure writing essays! Please find my mock attached.

Thanks,

Aryan

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Aryan,

You’re very welcome- it was a pleasure teaching it!

Amazing work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Amber
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the jewlabulous lesson today- I really enjoyed writing up my mock essay!

🙂

Beth
        Participant

Hi Amber,

Lovely work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
          Amber
          Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the marvellendifis course! Hope that there will be more like it 🙂

Sorry about the profusion of typos in my essay as my keyboard ran out of electricity so I had to use an Ipad to finish it and wasn’t so accustomed to using a digital keyboard. Thank you again for the marvelous course!

Amber
      Participant

And here’s the document:

Attachments:
      Alastair
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for all the lessons. I really enjoyed them.

Best regards

Alastair

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Alastair,

You’re welcome!

Fab work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the marvellous History lessons 😀 There were very interesting and engaging, and I learnt a lot. I haven’t really heard of sociology before, so it is lovely to learn a new topic. I hope I can join you in future History courses. Here is my mock.

I wrote it by hand, by I had very rushed and messy handwriting which I don’t think you can read, so I typed it up – I didn’t change anything. I added a hyperlink but I don’t know if it works.

Yichen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

I’m so happy that you enjoyed the lessons so much!

Thank you for taking the time to type up the mock 😀

Impressive work, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Elsa❀
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you so much for the amazing lessons! I have really enjoyed them. I think I handed in my mock with the link, but I can’t find the feedback. I’m not sure if I had actually handed it in, could you please confirm? Thank you!

Beth
        Participant

Hi Elsa, I’m so glad you enjoyed the lessons!

I never received your mock- if you try to post it again here I’ll mark it and get it back to you ASAP 🙂

Viewing 97 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar