Forums 2023 Summer Intensive Courses GCSEWriting-Tue

Viewing 46 reply threads
  • Author
      VMWEdu
      Keymaster
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 1

In today’s class we began our work on GCSE writing, thinking today about text-based prompts. We began with a free-writing exercise focused on a single minute of a story before examining the different ways in which a story can focus on character, plot, or style. We spoke about the utility of genre in exam writing and discussed loads of great ways to open a story, which the class thought about beautifully. We spoke about freshness in writing, using Agatha Christie as a template to discover how to write powerful suspenseful plots. Finally, the class planned stories based on a GCSE prompt and went through some final tips from the exam boards. Really incredible work today class- your passion and ability for writing shone through and you were all engaged and wonderfully focused. I really enjoyed our discussions today and thought you were all brilliant. Well done and see you next week 🙂

Video we watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98pNh3LtV8c

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Amber
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the prodigieux lesson! I have uploaded my homework to the drive.

Cheers! 🙂 😉

Beth
        Participant

Hi Amber,

You’re welcome!
        Fabulous work this week, I’ve uploaded your feedback. See you soon 🙂

David
      Participant

section b 6

The day I met my father was 25th of December 2013,I was getting the train off Liverpool and my father texted me.He said he was willing to have some father son bonding time.Since I was three months old I have never seen my father before.I got off the train and I immediately recognised him,he was a big tall,brooding man,with slick hair.I thought my blood was connecting to my father.He was my clone,his fate was my fate and his destiny was mine.

He gave me a hug and he smelt of rich scented perfume.the type my mother used to describe she loved.And had the faint smell of brandy.He dragged me to a bar shop and clapped.

He was very boisterous and the waiter came.

’’boy!’’He cried,even though the waiters all looked at least eighty years of age.

’’I do not like do be clapped at’’ he sulked.

’’i should have bright my whistle’’he exclaimed,’’ I have a very good whistle that works perfectly for the ears of old waiter’s .

‘’You better leave’’,the waiter mumbled

’’yes,yes’’my father said’’Michael lets get the hell out of here!’’he cried’’micheal?micheal?!’’

And i was gone.

Beth
        Participant

Hi David,

Wonderful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      jaydenP
      Participant

Dear Beth, thank you for the supercalifragilisticexpialidocious lesson!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jayden,

You’re welcome!

Exciting work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Johnny
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Attached is my homework,

Graditudes again,

Johnny

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Johnny,

No problem!

Great work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Queenie
      Participant

attached is my homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Queenie,

Stunning work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Eva
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the amazing lesson! My homework is a little bit shorter this time due to time.

Thank you again!

Eva

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Eva,

No worries, it’s a fine length!

Spectacular work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Haoming
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the amazing lesson! My homework is attached. The password is ‘ErwinSchrodingerSchadenfreudePneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis’ (you can copy it)

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Haoming,

Part of the password is cut off so I can’t use it – could you possibly just unlock the document so I can mark it? Thanks! 🙂

Beth
          Participant

Oh actually don’t worry, I just got in 😀

Beth
        Participant

Hi Haoming,

Terrific work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Kate
      Participant

Dear Beth,

I have attached my homework. Sorry it’s late – I have been away for the past week.

Thank you for a great lesson!

Kate

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Kate,

No worries at all!
        Incredible work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Evelyn
      Participant

Hi Beth, last week I was away on holiday so I couldn’t make it to your lesson last week. Sorry if my homework is overdue, I only came back yesterday😅. However, I will be joining the lesson today so I am looking forward to seeing you soon!\

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Evelyn,

No worries, I hope you had a nice holiday!

Beautiful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 2

In today’s class we considered the key GCSE exam question of writing from a picture prompt. We began with some metaphor work designed to help the class engage on a deeper level with figurative language before moving on to discussing key descriptive techniques and trying out new literary devices such as ekphrasis. The class then thought about how to write from a picture prompt, considering the senses, strong imagery, and interpretation. We discussed character description, how to make a concrete plot out of an abstract image and finally looked at quick-fire picture prompt interpretation which the class completed beautifully. Really excellent and imaginative work today everyone, I really enjoyed hearing your writing and thought your use of techniques was outstanding. Keep up the great work- see you soon 🙂

Literary devices website: https://writers.com/common-literary-devices

Character description video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmOfabuW_TM

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Amber
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the deluxicious lesson! 😊🎂🎉✨👌 I have uploaded the homework.

————————

P.S.

For any Greek Mythology fans… theoi.com is a great place to start 👍👍

Beth
        Participant

Hi Amber,

Stunning work this week, I’ve uploaded your feedback. See you soon 🙂

Kate
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for an incredible lesson!

Kate

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Kate,

It’s my pleasure!

Attachments:
      David
      Participant

the picture one for number 2

Devastation crossed my entire body,Mason was dead.I shook my body as more and more bomb planes arose up the air.The nasty Germans!Who knew that this was the last time to see mum,to see dad?I never got a proper chance to say goodbye.I sobbed over their dead bodies.Cars were twisted into a monster like shape,and the silhouette of the trees that remain shone a image of a creepy beast.

I decided that today was my chance to join the army,I took my dads purse and walked slowly outside.For I didn’t want to join the army,I have a penpal in Germany and we are good freinds.I am tempted to spend my dads money for a trip to England and treat myself with some bread and cheese.You see,the people in my country have always dreamed of a land of peace,amd rumours have said that there wasn’t a single war in England for a hundred years!Imagine!I could go to school,and get a job.My lips mused even thinking about it.What joy,what agony that I could not see my family again.My mind was racing,Family?Or joy?

Beth
        Participant

Hi David,

Good work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Eva
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the amazing lesson!

-Eva

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Eva,

Dazzling work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Evelyn
      Participant

Hi Beth, thank you for your lesson, it was amazing! Here is my homework 😁

Evelyn

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Evelyn,

You’re so welcome!

Attachments:
      Haoming
      Participant

Dear Beth,

I would say ‘thank you for the lesson’, but I wasn’t here. Thank you anyways!

my homework is attached.

Attachments:
        Haoming
        Participant

oh it didn’t save the changes I made…

oh well. please mark this one, not the previous one.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Haoming,

Lovely work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      jaydenP
      Participant

Dear Beth thank you for the astounding lesson!!!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jayden,

You’re welcome 😀

Just a note that if your homework is late, then I normally can’t mark it before the lesson which is why this marking is a little delayed!

Amazing work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 3

In today’s class we had our first session on non-fiction writing in the GCSE exam, thinking today about articles and essays. We began with a discussion as to why using figurative language is still important in non-fiction writing before thinking about the key differences between articles and essays as a medium. We then read through an article and analysed it for effective techniques, purpose, audience etc. before writing headlines aimed at a younger audience for the same topic. We learned about ethos, pathos and logos and the class came up with their own debate topics that played off one of these elements of persuasion. Really fab work today everyone- you all shared some great ideas about the ways in which arguments should be built and how we can use a variety of figurative and persuasive techniques to do so. Keep up the great work 🙂

P.S. You can choose either task on Paper 3 to complete for homework

Pathos, ethos and logos video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt_udRiOm_8

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      jaydenP
      Participant

Dear Beth, thank you for the Astounding lesson, also could you please mark my homework for last week?

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jayden,

Superb work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Amber
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thanks for the lemonmeringuacious lesson! 🙂 😉 I have uploaded the homework.

(yes, I know, possibly for America, but still. Delish.)

Beth
        Participant

Hi Amber,

You’re so welcome!
        Excellent work this week, I’ve uploaded your feedback. See you soon 🙂

Amber
      Participant

I meant Lemon meringue Pie Day – woohoo!

Haoming
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the amazing lesson! My homework is attached.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Haoming,

You’re welcome!

Some fab work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      David
      Participant

Celebrate the good things in life!

LIVING MATTERS!

We do not live for long, and we usually live in a world of loneliness and depression.What is the use of living when you cannot enjoy it?There is none.A survey in London has shown that 97percent of the people there live rough, and monotonous lives.Enjoy mundane moments such as having a cup of coffee with a friend, breathing the cool fresh air etc etc.Studies all around the world have shown that happiness is 30 percent of your family, 10 percent of your fate, and 60 percent of the choices you make!And happy people live longer, better lives than devastated ones.

SMALL THINGS MAKE BIG THINGS

Just holding a door or smiling at someone is likely to make their day, a story goes that if you help someone and do not look for repayment, then repayment will find you.And this is very true.By smiling or saying thank you at someone for helping you(holding doors, help you reach for the water at lunch time etc)will make you happy too.After all, (sources taken from abc news)”the happiest thing is not laughing by yourself, it is laughing with others.In conclusion, enjoy yourself, enjoy others, and have fun!

<b>HAPPINESS IS EVERYWHERE </b>

Studies from England and Northern Ireland have shown that you make approximately 50,000 decisions in your life(bbc news)and people have a 67 percent chance to choose the wrong, sad, ones.That really breaks my heart.but luckily, us humans as a whole are progressing about 0.075 percent of happy choices per day.My advice is ‘spread peace and love around the world’.That reminds of the old saying,’happiness always passes around.

<i>SO LONG FRIENDS!</i>

Believe me guys, when you close those eyes you will regret being so cruel to this world.But that would be too late, so do not regret and do all the nice things in this world and not in hell.<u>GOOD LUCK!</u>

Beth
        Participant

Hi David,

Nice work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Eva
      Participant

dear Beth,

Thank you for the superb lesson!

-Eva

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Eva,

Beautiful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Kate
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the wonderful lesson.

Kate

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Kate,

You’re welcome!

Dazzling work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Queenie
      Participant

Here is my text (option 1)

Hello everyone, today I am speaking on the behalf of all the animals that are being tested on. Did you know that over 100 million animals are being abused in labs in the US every year? These statistics are terrible, and I will be telling you how and why you should help this cause. Animal testing is an extremely prominent issue that has been happening for decades already. Experiments on animals are cruel, unethical, and dangerous. Along with this, it is also unreliable. Many of the diseases that affect humans, including major forms of heart disease, numerous cancers, HIV, Parkinson’s disease, and schizophrenia, do not naturally affect animals. Instead, in order to imitate the human condition, these diseases’ symptoms are artificially produced in animals in labs. The animal welfare act offers barely any protection when it comes to labs using rats, hamsters, reptiles and more. Can you imagine being an animal who’s existence is simply just used to be tested on?

To stop this problem from harming more animals, you, yes you, can volunteer to donate healthy and compromised tissues from your body to labs as an alternative to testing on animals. By donating tissue, contributors increase the amount of human research samples accessible and decrease the need for animal testing. In the past, post-mortem brain tissue has contributed significantly to understanding brain regeneration and the impacts of Parkinson’s disease and multiple sclerosis.

If that isn’t your cup of tea, you can also donate to charities such as the PCRM (Physicians commitment to responsible medicine), Cruelty free international, and the National anti-vesication society. By donating to these charities, you are helping a great cause. You can also prevent animal testing by buying cruelty free brands.

Hello everyone, today I am speaking on the behalf of all the animals that are being tested on. Did you know that over 100 million animals are being abused in labs in the US every year? These statistics are terrible, and I will be telling you how and why you should help this cause. Animal testing is an extremely prominent issue that has been happening for decades already. Experiments on animals are cruel, unethical, and dangerous. Along with this, it is also unreliable. Many of the diseases that affect humans, including major forms of heart disease, numerous cancers, HIV, Parkinson’s disease, and schizophrenia, do not naturally affect animals. Instead, in order to imitate the human condition, these diseases’ symptoms are artificially produced in animals in labs. The animal welfare act offers barely any protection when it comes to labs using rats, hamsters, reptiles and more. Can you imagine being an animal who’s existence is simply just used to be tested on?

To stop this problem from harming more animals, you, yes you, can volunteer to donate healthy and compromised tissues from your body to labs as an alternative to testing on animals. By donating tissue, contributors increase the amount of human research samples accessible and decrease the need for animal testing. In the past, post-mortem brain tissue has contributed significantly to understanding brain regeneration and the impacts of Parkinson’s disease and multiple sclerosis.

If that isn’t your cup of tea, you can also donate to charities such as the PCRM (Physicians commitment to responsible medicine), Cruelty free international, and the National anti-vesication society. By donating to these charities, you are helping a great cause. You can also prevent animal testing by buying cruelty free brands.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Queenie,

Wonderful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Evelyn
      Participant

Hi Beth, here is my homework for question 8, can’t wait to see you on Tuesday!!! 🙂

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

hi Evelyn,

Terrific work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 4

In today’s class we completed our penultimate lesson of the course, looking at unusual prompts and different forms from speeches to complaints to reviews. We began with metaphor work before considering what would be required for different forms and styles, and brainstorming ideas as a class. The class then brainstormed their own responses to a selection of unusual prompts and we watched a video on speech writing to help everyone think about techniques they could use. Finally we completed some pair work where they came up with their own unusual GCSE prompts and discussed how to approach it- thinking of really fun, creative ideas and working together fantastically. Well done everyone- brilliant work as usual; keep up the amazing ideas and see you next week 🙂

Review video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYnYJ4cz0is

Speech video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV1h7n0HcTE

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      jaydenP
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the astounding lesson.

My writing is attached below.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jayden,

Fantastic work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Amber
      Participant

Dear Beth,

I have uploaded the homework, thank you most deeply for the delicious lesson.

Cheers!

Beth
        Participant

Hi Amber,

You’re welcome!

Super work this week, I’ve uploaded your feedback. See you soon 🙂

Kate
      Participant

Dear Beth,

My homework is attached. Thank you for the great lesson!

Kate

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Kate,

Amazing work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      David
      Participant

To

Mrs West

76 Errington house

Norman road

SO78 4JI

I am writing on regards of the ‘inspirational figure’ and I regret to say, that getting Micheal Jackson, was both impossible and useless.Inspiration should be of their never giving up attitude, and what they do to the world.

So therefore I would nominate Matt Fraser(the fittest man alive 2022)to be our inspirational figure.For he is both cool as a cucumber, and his never giving up-attitude makes tears in my eyes.He started training, with home made dumbbell’s when he was 13, and going for the olympics.When he was 16 he asked the registration officer to sign him up.He was humiliated for his no-record journey, and cleared out.After crying to sleep, he worked hard.Day, and night.i simply love him.After using his house as desposit, for a olympic medal, he paid a journalist to interview him and he grew more famous.Struggling with his injury, he went on the 2019 bodybuilder tournament.winning one by one.He looked at the current 2019 world number 1.And thought to himself ‘you are not that much bigger than me, you are nit like this big superhero.ok.I can beat you.Went up there and came third.2020 he got third again.He should have been happy.but he was cutting the corners.

Cried all night, and went up there he said ‘i should have been happy with the score, went up there and got *******(swear word)third.But I knew it was a hard ***.I kept cutting corners I shouldn’t have.He kept training and won 2021,2022.Well done matt.His favourite quote ‘I can do what you are not willing to do today, so I can do tomorrow what you can’t.’Please take my suggestion as it would not only interest the children, it would also be <b>affordable,(it will take</b><u style=”font-weight: bold;”>1.5 million to get Micheal jackson.)</u>

sincerely all of the teachers

Beth
        Participant

Hi David,

Some nice  work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Queenie
      Participant

Hi beth,

sorry i missed the lesson last tuesday.

homework is attached below:

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Queenie,

That’s alright!

Lovely work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Evelyn
      Participant

Hi Beth, can’t wait for the next lesson! Here is my attached homework:)

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Evelyn,

Excellent work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Eva
      Participant

Hi Beth!

Thank you for the amazing lesson!

-Eva

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Eva,

Beautiful work this week,  I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Amber
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the amazing mock! I have uploaded to the drive 🙂 😉

Beth
        Participant

Hi Amber,

Brilliant work on your mock, I’ve uploaded your feedback. See you soon 🙂

Johnny
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the stunning course!

Attached is my mock.

Best wishes,

Johnny

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Johnny,

You’re welcome, I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the course!

Super work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Kate
      Participant

Mini mock

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Kate,

Stunning work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      David
      Participant

Thanks beth my mock exam

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi David,

Superb work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      jaydenP
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the astounding final lesson.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jayden,

You’re welcome!

Brilliant work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 5

In today’s class we completed our mini mock- which the class did brilliantly with focus and diligence. Really well done everyone for all your amazing work over the past five weeks- it has been a pleasure to hear you share your thoughts, ideas and writing with the class and I have loved reading your work and getting to discuss different styles and forms with you. You are all fabulous writers- keep up the great work, have a lovely rest of the summer and I’ll see you soon 🙂

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Haoming
      Participant

Hi Beth, my homework is attached. Have a nice life and I hope I see you soon!

Haoming

Evelyn
      Participant

Hi Beth, thank you for you amazing lesson! Here is the mini mock that I wrote:

Attachments:
      Eva
      Participant

Hi Beth!

Thank you for the amazing courses! See you!

-Eva

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Eva,

You’re welcome!

Excellent work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Queenie
      Participant

hi beth,

thankyou for the amazing course.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Queenie,

You’re welcome!

Beautiful work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
Viewing 46 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar