Forums 2024 Spring Courses EnglishLiterature-GCSE-Tue

Viewing 77 reply threads
  • Author
      VMWEdu
      Keymaster
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 1 

In today’s class we began our work on GCSE analysis for the spring course, digging into how to use techniques as a jumping-off point for thinking about language and its interpretation. We thought about six core techniques such as juxtaposition and allusion and then the class researched and practiced the use of a plethora of techniques ranging from elegies to iambic pentametre. The class then applied all this work to their own examples, which they did beautifully before we had a final conversation about how to achieve a depth of analysis through thinking about techniques as interlinking. Wonderful work today everyone- you were all highly engaged and focused, excellent job! Keep up the great work 🙂

Analysis video (only watch tip 1): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI67ipaiaVY

Six Techniques video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOXPYhBjXAA&t=270s

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Amber
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thanks for the informative lesson! HW uploaded.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Amber,

You’re very welcome!
        Amazing work, your feedback is up now 😀

Yichen
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the interesting lesson. Here is my homework

Yichen

PS, can you explain what is juxtaposition. I know oxymoron is two opposing words next to each other, but I am a bit confused about where the words would be if it was juxtaposition. Thank you 💖

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

You’re welcome!
        I’ve added my thoughts on oxymoron versus juxtaposition at the end of your feedback, so hopefully that helps!

Nice work this week, your feedback is below 😀

Attachments:
      Jiawei728
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you so much for the lesson! Here is my homework:

One of the potent quotes that helps the reader be aware of the unpleasantness of the setting is one of the starting sentences ‘ …a backing wind brought a granite sky and a muzzling rain’.Firstly, the imagery of a ‘granite sky’ is quite effective in describing the harshness of the weather. The rock ‘granite’ is associated with being rough and hard, which perhaps shows the harshness of the weather, and the pathetic fallacy outlining this emphasises the unpleasant condition and weather that day. Furthermore, the personification of ‘a backing wind brought’ indicates that even Nature isn’t on their side, which again signifies the people’s  discomfort.

The phrase ‘ The air was clammy cold’ is also quite indicative. The adjective ‘clammy’ usually have connotations of dampness and discomfort, which again signifies the passengers’ wretchedness. Furthermore, the association with being damp is almost showing how it is dampening their spirits and hope. Also, the consonance in ‘clammy cold’ where the hard ‘c’ , along with the almost conflicting two adjectives describing ‘clammy’ and ‘cold’ emphasises their horrible and vexacious predicament.

Another effective quote is ‘The wheels of the coach creaked and groaned’. The personification here indicates that even the wheels may have opinions – even they were ‘groaning’ and ‘creaking’, both are negative adjectives, and both adjectives signifies their discomfort as well along with the passengers, which creates sympathy and emphasises on the unpleasantness and unhappiness of  the people.

Jiawei

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jiawei,

You are very welcome!

Gorgeous work, your feedback is below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      Siyang
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the magnificent lesson!

Here is my homework:

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Siyang,

You’re welcome!
        Good work, your feedback is attached below 😀

Attachments:
      Eva
      Participant

Hi Beth!

Sorry for the slight late submission, I was meaning to submit it yesterday but completely forgot.

Thank you for the entertaining lesson!

-Eva

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Eva,

No worries at all!

Fab work, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you 😀

Attachments:
      zixuan
      Participant

Hi Beth

Sorry that I submitted this a day late, hope I did it right

Zi Xuan

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Zi Xuan,

No worries! Super work this week, your feedback is below 😀

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 2

In today’s lesson we continued our work on in depth technique analysis. We began by learning five advanced techniques which the class discussed and gave examples of, thinking about the underlying effect they have and how to use them in writing. We looked at a passage from a Margaret Atwood novel, thinking about how to take it line by line and ensure that every technique is wrung dry and thought of in reference to a wider meaningful structure based around theme or an argument about what the piece is saying. We then watched a video outlining a step-by-step process of unpacking techniques in a way that ensures originality and comments on the exact effect of the language. Lovely work everyone- particularly when picking apart the nuances of the techniques used in the Atwood extract and thinking about the way religious imagery was presented. Really incredible insights, well done. see you soon 🙂

P.S. The homework link is attached below- remember you can choose either Q2 or 4

Techniques link we looked at: https://getfreewrite.com/blogs/writing-success/exploring-unusual-literary-devices-for-powerful-prose

Video we watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k__I4WSnqKw

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      EdwardLi
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Sorry I’m a bit late for week 1. I was moving house and I didn’t have time to send it to you.

Thank you

-Edward

<div class=”jso-cursor-trail-wrapper” style=”position: fixed; left: 0px; top: 0px; width: 100vw; height: 100vh; overflow: hidden; pointer-events: none; z-index: 9999;”>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 0px; top: 0px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 0px; top: 0px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 222px; top: 169px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 224px; top: 170px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 228px; top: 173px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 238px; top: 180px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 256px; top: 187px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 287px; top: 187px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 300px; top: 187px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 300px; top: 187px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 305px; top: 191px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 313px; top: 192px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 319px; top: 192px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 324px; top: 193px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 343px; top: 217px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 408px; top: 148px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 450px; top: 139px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 452px; top: 138px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 422px; top: 134px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 363px; top: 111px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 318px; top: 91px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 157px; top: 207px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 154px; top: 154px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 133px; top: 90px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 129px; top: 67px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 258px; top: 181px; pointer-events: none; display: block;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 222px; top: 173px; pointer-events: none; display: block;”></div>
      </div>

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Edward,

No worries at all, I hope the move went well!

Lovely work, your feedback is below 😀

Attachments:
      Amber
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Class was spectacular, thank you! 😉 HW uploaded.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Amber,

Happy to hear it!

Brilliant work on this, your feedback is uploaded. See you soon 😀

Siyang
      Participant

Dear Beth,
      the class was wonderful, thank you very much!
      Here is my homework:

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Siyang,

I’m so glad to hear it!

Super work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the amazing lesson. I found it very interesting to look at advanced techniques, especially polysyndeton. Here is my homework.

Yichen

PS. I am not quite sure if I need an introduction & conclusion – I remember that you said I need one, but then I also remember that I don’t need one.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

I’m glad you enjoyed the lesson!

I’ve answered your question about the intro and conclusion in your feedback, but let me know if you need more guidance on that!

Super work this week, your feedback is below 😀

Attachments:
      EdwardLi
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Attached is my homework for this week.

Thank you,

Edward

<div class=”jso-cursor-trail-wrapper” style=”position: fixed; left: 0px; top: 0px; width: 100vw; height: 100vh; overflow: hidden; pointer-events: none; z-index: 9999;”>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 49px; top: 73px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 54px; top: 77px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 55px; top: 79px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 54px; top: 80px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 50px; top: 83px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 47px; top: 83px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 34px; top: 83px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 13px; top: 83px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 3px; top: 82px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 87px; top: 51px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 231px; top: 67px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 246px; top: 63px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 264px; top: 46px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 278px; top: 31px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 287px; top: 25px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 13px; top: 70px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 12px; top: 70px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 13px; top: 70px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 17px; top: 70px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 22px; top: 70px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 31px; top: 70px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 42px; top: 70px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 46px; top: 70px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 46px; top: 70px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 47px; top: 71px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      </div>

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Edward,

Lovely work this week, your feedback is below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      EdwardLi
      Participant

Sorry Beth, I don’t know what has gone wrong with my computer, adding all the extra text. The issue should be fine now.

Beth
        Participant

No worries, Edward!

Jiawei728
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for your lesson,

Here is my homework,

Jiawei

Jiawei728
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for your lesson,

Below is my homework,

Jiawei

Jiawei728
      Participant

Jiawei

Jiawei728
      Participant

Sorry having problems posting

Jiawei728
      Participant

Thank you !

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jiawei,

Attachments:
      Jiawei728
      Participant

Eva
      Participant

Hi Beth!

Thank you for the amazing lesson!

-Eva

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Eva,

You’re welcome!
        Fantastic work this week, your feedback is below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 3

In today’s lesson we focused on our second skill for the GCSE: multiple interpretations. We then discussed this in reference to a piece of poetry, picking it apart line by line and recognising the mixture of darkness and carefreeness that could be drawn from the image (brilliant work on this by the way guys). We looked at different forms of metaphor, digging into different experiential interpretations of the way we use metaphor as a lens on the world, and using examples from song, literature and conventional speech to help us understand this. We looked at mixed metaphor, extended metaphor and implied vs. creative metaphor. The class used this to think deeply about how experience filters into our interpretation, offering us myriad ways of understanding a piece of imagery and enabling us to put our own creative spin on it. Really enjoyable work today everyone, it was wonderful discussing these concepts with you all and I found your answers fascinating. I look forward to seeing you next week to continue this- well done 🙂

Metaphor link: https://www.supersummary.com/metaphor/

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Eva
      Participant

Hi Beth!

Thank you for the superb lesson!

-Eva

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Eva,

You’re very welcome!

Brilliant work this week, your feedback is below 😀

Attachments:
      Siyang
      Participant

Hello Beth,
      Here is my homework:
      Thank you for the wonderful lesson!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Siyang,

You’re very welcome!

Nice work this week, your feedback is below 😀

Attachments:
      EdwardLi
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Here is my homework for this week.

Thank you,

Edward

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Edward,

Nice work on this, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thanks for the wonderful lesson – very interesting new information about metaphors!

Here is my homework.

Yichen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

I’m glad to hear you found the lesson useful!

Super work this week, your feedback is below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      Jiawei728
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thanks so much for your lesson!

Here is my homework.

Jiawei

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jiawei, your attachment didn’t post here, but if you upload it I can mark it ASAP 😀

Amber
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Homework Uploaded! Thank you soo much for the stupendous lesson!

Beth
        Participant

Hi Amber,

You’re very welcome!

Brilliant work this week, I’ve uploaded your feedback 😀

Jiawei728
      Participant

Dear Beth,

So sorry that I just realized that I didn’t upload my file last week.

Thanks so much!

Jiawei

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jiawei,

No worries at all, it’s easily done!

Fabulous work on this, your feedback is below 😀

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 4

In today’s class we continued our work on multiple interpretations, thinking closely about language and how it is used to reflect experience. We began by discussing the homework and thinking about some key ways to approach the GCSE before moving into a discussion of metaphor and how we can follow a step-by-step process (association/feeling –> theme –> philosophy) to help us squeeze analysis and interpretations out of it. We then looked at examples from literature and discussed them, thought about embedded quotations and finally, the class completed some excellent group work where they worked together to pick apart metaphors they themselves had written. Very impressive work everyone- well done 🙂

Homework

hmwr

Attachments:
      EdwardLi
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Attached is my homework for this week’s task.

Thank you,

Edward

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Edward,

Good work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      Amber
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Homework submitted! Thank you! 🙂

Beth
        Participant

Hi Amber,

Super work on this, I’ve uploaded your feedback 😀

Yichen
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thanks for the amazing lesson!

Here is my homework.

Yichen 👏💖😀

Yichen
      Participant

Oops, and the file…

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

Beautiful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      Jiawei728
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thanks so much for your lesson!

Here is my homework

Jiawei

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jiawei,

You’re very welcome!

Attachments:
      Eva
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the amazing lesson!

Please find attatched my hw for this lesson!

-Eva

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Eva,

You’re so welcome!
        Fab work, your feedback is below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      Siyang
      Participant

Hello Beth,
      Thank you very much for the splendid lesson!
      Here is my homework:

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Siyang,

You’re welcome!

Super work on this, your feedback is below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 5

In today’s class we learned about linguistic patterning, thinking about how it creates meaning and symbolism in literature. We began by discussing patterning as a concept before thinking about how this applies to characters, language and creating symbolism in writing. We thought of examples featuring concepts such as doubles, shadows and parallel worlds before thinking about how these ideas could be widened into extended metaphors through a piece of writing. Finally the class wrote their own examples of patterned language which they did amazingly, expanding the imagery they used into thinking about the themes they were playing on and how they were presenting their characters. Excellent and sophisticated work everyone- really well done today! I loved hearing your ideas around this concept, keep it up and see you next week 🙂

Link from today: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zyxsv4j/revision/2

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Homework Extract

Attachments:
      Amber
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thanks for the Awesome lesson! HW uplaoded! Also I re-uploaded last week’s HW- I think the file was too large 😔 But thanks! 😉

Amber
        Participant

*Note I mean I re-uploaded REading Homework

Beth
        Participant

Hi Amber,

Lovely, I did see that so thanks for re-uploading!

Delightful work this week, your feedback has been uploaded 😀

Yichen
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the wonderful lesson. Here is my homework.

Yichen

P.S You might notice that there is a lot of the word ‘protagonist’ – that’s because I only realised that Amor wasn’t the narrator until I had finished analysing the first pattern, so I had to quickly change all of the words ‘narrator’ to ‘protagonist’. Oops!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

You’re s0 welcome!
        Fantastic work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below (I’ve responded to your ‘protagonist’/’narrator’ problem there☺️). See you soon!

Attachments:
      EdwardLi
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Homework is attached here.

Thank you,

Edward

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Edward,

Good work on this, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      Jiawei728
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thanks so much for your wonderful lesson!

Here is my homework!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jiawei,

You’re welcome, I’m glad you enjoyed it!

Super work this week, your feedback is below 😀

Attachments:
      Siyang
      Participant

Dear Beth,
      Thank you very much for the magnificent lesson!
      Here is my homework:

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Siyang,

You’re welcome!

A good start this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 6

In today’s class we finished our work on linguistic patterning, thinking about both creating and analysing patterns of language or ‘ecosystems’ of language. We started by examining two examples of linguistic ecosystems before moving on to using these to inspire some writing within these frameworks. We analysed an extract from a book that played on religious imagery, and ideas of nature, violence and childhood, linking this concept to narrative voice. We looked at how figurative language plays into this, spoke about word sound and its effects and lastly, the class used picture prompts to write their own linguistic patterns. Really wonderful work on a complex series of ideas everyone- especially with your deep analysis which was very impressive- well done and see you next week 🙂

P.S. Homework is below

Homework

hmwrk

Homework question: Explore how the writer uses language and structure to present the beauty and strangeness of this place. (12 marks)

hmwrkk

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Homework question: Explore how the writer uses language and structure to present the beauty and strangeness of this place. (12 marks)

Amber
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thanks for the stupendous lesson, HW uplaoded!

🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕

Beth
        Participant

Hi Amber,

You’re welcome! Your feedback is uploaded 😀

Jiawei728
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Here is my homework!

Thanks

Jiawei

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jiawei,

Amazing work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below 😀

Attachments:
      EdwardLi
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Here is my homework for this week’s task

Thank you,

Edward

EdwardLi
      Participant

And the file…
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 684px; top: 28px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 298px; top: 208px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 365px; top: 140px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 371px; top: 131px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 371px; top: 129px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 371px; top: 128px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 370px; top: 123px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 364px; top: 104px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 357px; top: 89px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 350px; top: 85px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 324px; top: 79px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 282px; top: 70px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 247px; top: 197px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 536px; top: 49px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 658px; top: 48px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 659px; top: 48px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      <div class=”jso-cursor-trail-shape” style=”position: absolute; left: 666px; top: 44px; pointer-events: none; display: none;”></div>
      </div>

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Edward,

Superb work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the magnificent lesson. Here is my homework – sorry it is late, I was on holiday!

Yichen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

No worries, I hope you had a nice holiday!

Super work on this, your feedback is below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      Eva
      Participant

Hi Beth!

Thank you for the spectacular lesson!

-Eva

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Eva,

You’re welcome!

Superb work on this, I’ve attached your feedback below 😀

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 7

In today’s class we started work on non-fiction, thinking about how to apply thinking on language to this other type of writing. We began by discussing elements of non-fiction before watching a video on the application of these ideas to language analysis and then looked at a GCSE example of a Dickens text and news article on railway disaster. We analysed these extracts as a class and looked at the exam questions, thinking comparatively and digging into ideas surrounding the text’s purpose. Finally we looked at analyses of biography and newspaper articles and touched on literary non-fiction. Great work everyone, I thought your ideas on the GCSE paper were beautifully eloquent and thoughtful; well done and see you next week 🙂

Video from today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGd5zCTebQI

BBC link from the end: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zshg4j6/revision/6

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Here is the homework PDF to read before the next lesson

Read pages 4-11 (including 4 and 11) and 14-19 (including 14 and 19)

Attachments:
      Siyang
      Participant

Hello Beth,
      Sorry for the delay for my homework last week,
      Here is my homework,
      Thank you.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Siyang,

No worries! Super work on this, your feedback is below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 8

In today’s class we continued our non-fiction analysis work thinking about articles and how to dissect them. The class began by discussing the homework before completing a deep dive into two non-fiction quotations thinking about the impact of techniques. The class completed some group work where they (beautifully!) dismantled articles thinking about the way in which the authors had used language and structure. Finally we read through an example essay comparing two non-fiction texts and thought about the effectiveness of the essay’s analysis. Well done today everyone- I loved your ideas on the opinion pieces you wrote, very impressive work! Keep up the great ideas and see you in a week 🙂

Guardian opinion page: https://www.theguardian.com/uk/commentisfree

Link to essays we looked at: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zphg4j6/revision/1

Nonfiction forms: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zshg4j6/revision/1

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Amber
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thanks for the riveting lesson! HW uploaded.

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬜⬜⬛⬛⬛⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
      ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬛⬛⬛🟥🟥🟦⬜⬜⬜⬜🟦⬛⬛⬛⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
      ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬛⬛🟥🟥🟥🟦⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜🟦🟥⬛⬛⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
      ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬛⬛🟥🟥🟥🟦⬜⬜⬜⬜🟦🟦🟥🟥🟥🟥⬛⬛⬜⬜⬜⬜
      ⬜⬜⬜⬛⬛🟥🟥🟥🟥⬜🟦⬜🟦⬜🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥⬛⬛⬜⬜⬜
      ⬜⬜⬛⬛🟥🟥🟥🟥🟦⬜⬛⬜⬛⬜⬜🟦🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥⬛⬛⬜⬜
      ⬜⬜⬛🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜🟦⬛🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥⬛⬜⬜
      ⬜⬛⬛🟥🟥🟥🟥⬜⬜⬜⬜🏽⬜⬜⬜⬜⬛⬛🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥⬛⬛⬜
      ⬜⬛🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜🟦⬛⬛🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥⬛⬜
      ⬛⬛🟥🟥🟥🟥⬛⬜⬜⬜⬜⬛⬜⬜⬜⬜🟦⬛⬛⬛🟥🟥🟥🟥⬛⬛
      ⬛🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥⬛⬛⬜⬜⬜🏽⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥⬛
      ⬜🟥🟥🟥🟥⬛⬛⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟦⬜🟥🟥⬛
      ⬜⬜🟦🟥🟥⬛⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟦⬜🟦🟥🟥⬛
      🟦⬜⬜⬜🟦⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥⬜⬜⬜🟦⬜🟥🟥⬛
      ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🏽⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜🟥⬛
      ⬛🟥⬜⬜⬜⬜⬛⬛🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥⬜⬜🏽⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜🟥🟥🟥⬛
      ⬛🟥🟥⬜⬜⬜🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥⬜⬜⬜🏽⬜⬜🏽🏽⬜⬜⬜🟥🟥⬛
      ⬛🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜🏽🏽⬜⬜🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥⬛
      ⬛⬛🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬛🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥⬛
      ⬜⬛🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥⬛⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥⬛⬜
      ⬜⬛⬛🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥⬛⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥⬛⬛⬜
      ⬜⬜⬛⬛🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟦⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥⬛⬛⬜⬜
      ⬜⬜⬜⬛⬛🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥⬜⬜🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥⬛⬛⬜⬜⬜
      ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬛⬛🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥⬛⬛⬜⬜⬜⬜
      ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬛⬛🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥⬛⬛⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
      ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬛⬛⬛🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥⬛⬛⬛⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
      ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜

*ghostbusters 😉

Beth
        Participant

Hi Amber,

You’re welcome!

Fab work this week, your feedback is up. See you soon 😀

EdwardLi
      Participant

Beth,

Thank you.

Attachments:
      Jiawei728
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thanks so much for your teaching!

Here is my homework.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jiawei,

You’re very welcome!

Incredible work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the interesting lesson. Here is my homework (I finished it yesterday but forgot to upload it!)

Yichen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

You’re welcome!

Fantastic work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      Siyang
      Participant

Dear Beth,
      Thank you so much for the lesson(even though i watched the recording)
      Here is my homework:

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Siyang,

You’re welcome!

Good work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      Amber
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Homework uploaded, thank you! (oops, sorry I forgot to say that I uploaded haha) 😉

Amber
        Participant

wait no I did I got confused that was for history 😂

Eva
      Participant

Hi Beth!

Thank you for the amazing lesson on non-fiction text analysis!

-eva

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Eva,

You’re welcome!

Gorgeous work, your feedback is below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 9

Today we had our analysis workshop, beginning by reading an essay on GCSE analysis and answering any questions the class had on this. For the rest of the lesson we focused on a text from a GCSE exam as a class, thinking about structure, language and character. The class looked at elements such as the writer’s use of religious or ecstatic imagery and the way the author had presented the character’s perspective through the plotting and narrative. They completed some group analysis which was fantastic and finally wrapped up sharing ideas on structural features. Well done everyone, the links from today are below and remember to have a little think about the mock next week. Keep up the brilliant work 🙂

Essay link: https://sherpa-online.com/blog/read/how-to-write-an-analytical-gcse-english-essay

PDF link: https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/textbooks/sample/gcse-english/AQA-8700-8702-COLLINS-SAMPLE-CORE.PDF

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Eva
      Participant

Hey Beth!

Thank you so much for the amazing lesson!

-Eva

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Eva,

You’re very welcome!🌟

Fab work on this, your feedback is below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      Amber
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thanks for the dazzling lesson! HW uploaded.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Amber,

You’re most welcome!

Gorgeous work this week, your feedback has been uploaded 😀

EdwardLi
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Edward

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Edward,

Super work, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for helpful and fun lesson! Here is my homework.

Yichen

(I think I wrote a bit too much ‘feedback’ for the first response so it looks like I think there are so many problems about it! Obviously not all the issues I mentioned are significant – but I just wanted to challenge myself and think of all the things that a response would need to be classified as really good.)

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

Don’t worry at all, I think it’s fab that you challenged yourself!

Fantastic work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      Siyang
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Here is my homework:

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Siyang,

You’re welcome, I’m glad you enjoyed the lesson!

Fab work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      Siyang
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Here is my homework:

Attachments:
      Jiawei728
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thanks so much for your wonderful lesson!

Here is my homework.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jiawei,

You’re welcome!

Fabulous work on this, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 10

In today’s class the students completed an analysis mock, thinking about showcasing all they have learned by answering two long-form questions on a GCSE past paper. Great focus today everyone and fantastic work over the past ten weeks- it has been so much fun unpicking the passages we have studied with you guys and hearing the range of innovative and creative approaches to language you all shared. Well done for all your fantastic work, keep it up and see you in the next course 🙂

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Amber
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the amazing Spring Term! Mock uploaded. Happy Summer! ;)☀️

Beth
        Participant

Hi Amber,

You’re so welcome, it was a pleasure! Happy summer to you too🌟

Brilliant work on your mock, your feedback is up now 😀

Eva
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thank you so much for the entirety of this amazing course! Have a nice summer!

-Eva

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Eva,

You’re welcome, and thank you! I hope you have a nice summer too 🌸

Gorgeous work on your mock, your feedback is below 😀

Attachments:
      AlanW
      Participant

Thank you so much for everything this term!

Have a wonderful summer,

Best wishes,

Anne

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Anne,

You’re so welcome, I hope you have a lovely summer! 🌷

Great work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below 😀

Attachments:
      Jiawei728
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thanks so much for all your teaching!

Have a nice summer holiday!

Best wishes

Jiawei

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jiawei,

It’s my pleasure! You too 🌟

Fab work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below 😀

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the lessons👏 – they were very helpful, but most importantly fun!🥳 Sorry I was not there for the mock test, I had a concert at that time. I have completed it, and I assumed that it was 45 minutes?🤔

Sadly I did run over time by a few seconds to write a conclusion – would that matter in a real exam, or do you think I should just not write a conclusion if that happens?

Have a nice holiday!😊

Yichen💖

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

You’re very welcome! I’ve answered your question about timing in your feedback, I hope it all makes sense🌟

Super work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below. I hope you have a nice holiday too!

Attachments:
      EdwardLi
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Here is my Mock Exam. Thank you for these wonderful lessons.

Thank you,

Edward

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Edward,

You’re welcome!
        Nice work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below 😀

Attachments:
      Siyang
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the wonderful lesson.

Here is my Mock:

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Siyang,

Some good work on your mock, your feedback is below 😀

Attachments:
Viewing 77 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar