Forums Writing Christmas Writing Camp Y6-7

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      VMWEdu
      Keymaster
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 1

In this week’s lesson we looked at modernising a text, focusing on Shakespeare and how to bring his work into the 21st century. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help plan and write the modern versions of Romeo and Juliet assigned for homework. The powerpoint includes information on who Shakespeare was, alonside the Shakespearean language the class learnt such as the use of words such as “thou”, “doth” and “thee”, a Shakespearean insult generator, ideas on which dramatic conventions need to be considered when looking at modernising a play (plot, characters, setting etc.) and a passage from Romeo and Juliet, with both the original version and a modern version included. The class worked fantastically today, they were particularly good at translating the early modern English into modern English and used inference skills brilliantly to seek out the definitions of words. I also absolutely loved the way they used Shakespearean language in their creation of colourful Shakespearean insults, and their understanding of the core tenets of Romeo and Juliet was spot on. Really well done for today everyone, I look forward to seeing you all next week. Keep up the fab work! 🙂

Homework

Homework

Here is a video of Juliet’s speech in the original Shakespearean form, which should help you with your homework: https://youtu.be/XMeZiZeipVw

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Evan Y
      Participant

In the year of 9021 all the things in the world change. Siri starts to have feelings just like humans. Some of the systems off Siri even added inside robots. But one person wanted to change Siri into a human being, you know that Siri is just a helping tool, but now Siri is just like a human. The story began in the year of 4020.

In 4020 everyone used Siri as a helping tool, but only one man thinks Siri is not a helping tool. That guy is Danif, Danif was a different person. He didn’t just treat Siri like a human being he also fell in love with it. The funny thing about that was, everytime he opened the phone and said “Siri I Love you!!!” but Siri only said “ I don’t understand what you are talking about. Is there anything that I can help you with?” Sometimes Danif also breaks the phone into little parts, so he could find the system of Siri and turn it into a human being(well no one thinks it will come true).

Danif had a book that his great great great great great great great great great……. Grandfather wrote this. In the book it writes about the history of Siri, “it said in the year of 2026 people use Siri as well, but there was a woman that wanted to die and she put her inside all the system of Siri, so Siri is a human being.” Danif is the one who will take out the women in the Siri system.

One day Danif finally found the Siri system in the phone. He found a button and pressed it and all of a sudden light appeared. A robot stood in front of Danif and said “I love you to Danif!” After this thing happened the world changed, people and robots were treated equally.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Evan,

Lovely work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      AnnaL
      Participant

In 4444, human’s discovered a magical pearl that could transport everyone into mer-people. Joshua was practically jumping up and down with enthusiasm, he was the first human to test out the magical, enchanting pearl.

As Joshua dove into the clear blue ocean, he felt a gorgeous blue and white tail rushing behind him, Joshua decided to follow it, he swam and swam until he got to a clearing, Joshua rubbed his eyes and blinked, he couldn’t believe what he was seeing. Right in front of him, were beautiful mermaids with multi-colored tails, they instantly reminded Joshua of the blue tail he had just swum past by. He searched through the crowd of mermaids but didn’t find her anywhere. Joshua swam and swam for the next couple of days just to find the mermaid he loved. At last, he gave up hope and swam to the entrance of the ocean, Joshua suddenly turned back into a human, but just as he was about to leave, a shimmer of light caught his eye. It was the mermaid that Joshua had seen and had fallen in love with!

He quickly walked towards the mermaid with his heart jumping up and down, Joshua and the mermaid went back into the water and lived there for the rest of their lives.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Anna,

Gorgeous work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 2

In this week’s lesson we looked at writing poetry, focusing particularly on rhyme and poetic techniques. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help plan and write the poems assigned for homework. The powerpoint includes information on how to speed rhyme, how to define and differentiate between a symbol and a metaphor, our work on shaping symbols and metaphors around a theme, the kinds of literary techniques to include in poetry (i.e. metaphor, simile, onomatopoeia etc.) and some examples of different types of poem such as limericks and autobiographical poems. The powerpoint also contains the Langston Hughes poem that should be used for inspiration and our analysis of the rhyme scheme and meaning behind his poem. Really well done for today’s lesson everyone, you all worked fantastically and I was particularly impressed by the maturity and sophistication of thought you all demonstrated in the discussion we had on why metaphorical and symbolic language is important in poetry. Each and every member of today’s class engaged brilliantly with the topic, and offered some really interesting interpretations of the Hughes poem, thinking about how the themes are explored through figurative language. There was also some brilliant speed rhyming and some really lovely limericks written. I hope you enjoyed our poetry lesson today and that you have fun writing your own poems on the theme of freedom for homework. Excellent work today everyone, keep it up! I also found a video which might really help you guys when you are writing your homework, I will post the link below. Try to give it a watch if you can because it is a really useful and interesting exploration of the things to think about when writing poetry and it’s only 5 minutes long- it will be super helpful for your homework too!

Here’s the video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEvogKGcnLY&feature=youtu.be

Have a fab rest of the week and I will see you all next Tuesday 🙂

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Ashley C
      Participant

Attachments:
      Sam Peng
      Participant

Freedom lost

are the days of freedom over

Are the days of freedom dead

will the people pet it happen

without a single word be said

what will it take to stir them

from there sedentary ways

mus they station troops in our homes

or just take them all away

freedom has a price

for which we must forever pay

I‘d rather lose it dying

then see it chipped away

Evan Y
      Participant

If I was a bird,
      I will fly to
      A safe place.

I try to talk,
      But no on one know
      What am I talking about?

Other black where
      Like me chirping for
      Freedom, they locked
      Us in a cage.

Some dead some service
      Finally Bidon came
      And fre the world.

Ashley C
      Participant

Justin H
      Participant

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar