Forums Writing B-Thur-year34

Viewing 105 reply threads
  • Author
      VMWEdu
      Keymaster
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 1

In our first lesson together, we focused on descriptive writing, thinking about the three fundamental building blocks: high level vocab, literary techniques and sensory language.  The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help write the descriptive pieces assigned for homework. It also contains our work on coming up with original and unique literary techniques, how to avoid cliche in writing, the up-levelling exercise students completed beautiful with aid of a thesaurus, and our discussion on the purpose of figurative language and why it is so important. Everyone worked fantastically well this week, there was some really gripping and exciting contributions to the class, and I particularly enjoyed hearing how everyone had combined sensory language and literary techniques to describe a scene from How to Train Your Dragon. I was very impressed with how imaginative everyone was in coming up with really interesting, unique metaphors and similes, thinking about how to create unusual imagery in the reader’s mind. The class also demonstrated an adept use of the thesaurus, and ability to use synonyms beautifully to change the tone and atmosphere of their writing. Overall it was a pleasure meeting you all today; keep up the amazing work, remember the three building blocks of descriptive writing and I look forward to seeing you next week 🙂

P.S. Here is the link for the online thesaurus: https://www.thesaurus.com/

Homework 

Homework

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
        Beth
        Participant

P.S. Here is the video from the beginning of the lesson if you want to refresh your memory!

Rui
      Participant

I attached my writing . If you couldn’t open it, please tell me

Tianya
      Participant

Please find my writing attached.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Tianya,

Charming work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Rui
      Participant

It was school camping day. The warmth of summer was still remained.
      When it came to the evening, the wind gently passes through, bringing a bit of coolness.
      The sky slowly became darker and darker, the moon has just risen and gave the sky little brightness. Stars didn’t appear and were playing somewhere

There were many people gathering around the wood which stacked like a cone. Someone put a fire on it and the fire gradually grew bigger and bigger. The fire was crackling and burning. Spark raised like the thousands of fireflies dancing. Sky was blue like sea. The fireflies form like a heart and was dancing under the sea. The smell of wood, the smell of soil, and the smell of burning wood were mixed.

everyone was sitting around the fire.
      There was no way to go to fire closer because it was hot like hottest day ever had . They were wet because of sweat. Therefore, everyone went back a little further as if they all feel the same.
      They were talking, singing…enjoying themselves. They opened their mouth,When the spark raised like fireflies dancing.
      Wind was whistling around trunks, insects was humming. It was an amazing night.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Rui,

Fabulous work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Haoming
      Participant

Hello, Beth, please find attached my homework. Thank you!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Haoming,

Wonderful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Yihua
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please find attached my homework.

Thanks,

Yihua

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yihua,

Delightful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:

On a beautiful night when the sky was clear, in the middle of a campsite, I was wrapped in a soft and cosy blanket, shivering on a long, wooden bumpy bench. I was sitting together with my family, curious about what fun things will happen.

As the manager lit the match, the heat melted away all the coldness. Soon, the bonfire started to grow larger and it formed a spiky triangle shape. The sizzling, red bonfire was as lovely as appealing fireworks soaring in the dark blue sky. Some small pink sparks crazily strayed like a fountain flowing flawlessly. The towering, lush, green trees swayed slowly and gently in the warm, little breeze. The atmosphere made me feel relaxed and ecstatic, I really wish that time goes slowly.

A moment later, Mr Brown started to play jazz on his guitar. Everyone began to clap, cheer and dance flowing with the music. As this was happening, some young squirrels began to dance on the grass next him! Also, birds in the tree tweeted tunefully in groups of three. On the opposite side, a man was hitting and beating a drum, the marvellous duet made the night fun and exciting.

The peaceful night was beginning to grow colder and darker, it was time to head back to the tent. As I walked I said to my family, “I will never ever forget this fantastic and magical night, it’s the best camping trip ever!”

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jessie,

Amazing work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      AmyZ
      Participant

Dear Miss Beth:

Please see my homework in attachment, thank you!

Amy

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Amy,

So sorry to keep you waiting on the feedback!

Dynamic work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 2

In our second lesson together, we focused on narrative writing, thinking about the different lenses we could use to think about how to create compelling and capitvating stories.  The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help write the narrative stories assigned for homework. It also contains our thoughts on genre and how it can be used to give structure and meaning to a story, our work on powerful story starters and endings and an important ‘narrative checklist’ of the things they should always make sure they include in any narrative piece of writing. We completed work on how to use literary techniques and genre in conjunction with one another, and thought about multiple different ways to hook the reader into a story using techniques such as dialogue, action, description and exposition. The class also did some brilliant work writing their own story starters using a randomised story machine, and thought of some incredibly compelling ways to both end and begin a story in quick-fire time. I also loved hearing their explanations for why they had picked particular genres for particular stories, which they explored with nuance and maturity.  Everybody worked really well today, and gave some really interesting contributions on all the different elements of story-craft we studied, particularly regarding genre and building suspense. I really enjoyed hearing all their creative figurations of literary techniques through the lens of genre, such as a fairy-tale onomatopoeia or romantic piece of personification. Well done everyone, it was great to see you all today! Keep up the fab work and I’ll see you next week 🙂

P.S. Here is the genre video if you would like to revise it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go0Mto2fOXY&vl=en

Here is the story randomiser machine if you’d like to have a go yourself: http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/story-starters/index.html

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Felix
      Participant

Mr. Wolf’s Prey

Mr Wolf was very very greedy and very fussy as well about what he ate,so one day he decided he would have cow milk for drink and some horse who is the knawing on and a dog for lunch. Then he decided he would have chicken for dinner and roosters for his son,but he couldn’t catch a single chicken or even a rooster because he could never pass the electric gate that protected them.

One day his son had a good idea can you told them his father about it and he smiled slightly and thought about eating chicken feathers as favourite and delicious as cake and delicious roast turkey. The plan was that his son could dig holes so he would dig a hole into the chickens electric gate area and then the wolf son would bite a roast turkey he would unlock the gate or rather he would not unlock it,and then he would push the turkey through one of the gaps in the wooden electric gates. Soon,the one son was over the gate and was trying to kill a rooster which you never done before finally the rooster laydown closes eyes and died. Suddenly ,the farmer appeared running through the gate and chasing the Wolf”s son.Quickly,the wolf lept into the hole and into the gates area to rescue his son but just as he did the farmer poked the hole which pushed the son’s father back through the hole. At that moment the son ran after the hole lept into it and then ran out of the gates.The farmer was is furious. The wolf thought again “this time I will have cow milk juice “he decided out loud. This time the wolf had idea this idea which was great and clever.

He leapt into the yard silently where a dozen cowls was sleeping he picked up a bucket in his teeth and ran back through the gate,crashing the wooden fence. This time the wolf had a great splendid feast with a blanket of food and cleverness.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Felix,

Nice work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Rui
      Participant

Several months ago, I finished my big project, and I went to Okinawa for a little break. it was rainy when I was in airplane.

“when I arrived at hotel I’ll go to the beach and take a dip in a hot spring.” I said to myself while I was having relax in business class trip with wine. SUDDENLY, airplane shook like the biggest earthquake I have never experienced. Soon, airplane fell to the ocean really quickly like a roller coaster. I took Inflatable Life Jacket and put it around my chest. We jumped into the sea, but it was cold, and even colder because it was raining. Before I notice I was already sleeping.

I think people in the airplane are separated by the waves over time because when I woke up, I was on island with two men who looks scary and strong. It was sunny and hot. I wanted to drink something. There was a bag near me, so I looked inside and there were two apples and a bottle of water. So, I took the water bottle and drank half of it. Then, I was still tired so slept again.

Several hours later, I woke up. Since I didn’t eat anything that day, I was hangry, so wanted to eat apples inside the bag, but there wasn’t bag and there weren’t two men either. It was eerie dark like I was in the cave alone, and I could hear only sound of waves. I felt anxious and I couldn’t move my legs, my arms and… ”Where am I? What happened? What was I doing? Why did I come here?” I said to myself all over again and again and again. My head was blank, and I confused myself. I was getting MORE and MORE and MORE anxious.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Rui,

Lovely work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Tianya
      Participant

Please find my narrative writing attached.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Tianya,

Wonderful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Haoming
      Participant

Hi, Beth

Please find attached my homework. Thank you.

Haoming

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Haoming,

Spectacular work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Yihua
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please find attached my homework for week 2.

Thanks,

Yihua

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yihua,

Magical work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      AmyZ
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please find my homework for week 2 in attachment, thank you!

Amy

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Amy,

Engaging work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:

Three of us. We were the only ones left, the only ones to make it to the island. It was a vicious day, lightning streaked and our boat had sunk. Tom, Isabelle and I luckily escaped from the shipwreck and swam onto the desert island.

By the time we reached the island, the blazing sun had risen again and the ocean was tranquil like a mirror, reflecting the sky. Everything was peaceful but our stomachs were rumbling!

Snort snort. “That sounds like a wild pig”, Isabelle cried. “Yes, you’re right, it seems we need to catch it for our food to survive.” Tom suggested.

We crept past bushes, palm trees to find the pig. Eventually we found it! The pig was sleeping! Tom held the dagger with sweaty hands and swiftly poked it into the pig’s throat. We carried the dead pig onto the beach to roast it.

When Isabelle and I were roasting the pig, Tom went to pull out some strands of seaweed out from the salty, shining sea. Surprisingly, he found a small pouch of gold knotted in some seaweed strands. We jumped for joy but what could we use it for?

As we were chatting, the pig was roasting, the smoke was straying up in the sky.  Not long later, a ship noticed the smoke and was heading towards us. All three of us were jumping, waving and screaming. “Help, help! Over here!”

The boat approached us and anchored their ship by the tide of the shore. As they rushed towards us, we were shocked that they were malicious pirates! They had spotted the open goldbag glinting on the sand! Immediately, I threw the gold into the bushes, and the crew hurried off to find it.

When they all went after it, we sprant towards the ship, cut the anchor and climbed onto the deck. Unknowingly, the miniature captain of the pirates was still onboard, he was standing by the side of the plank smirking at us. “You will never get away with me! Ha ha!” He shouted. “Oh look, the seagull is going to land on your head!” Isabelle tricked. The captain turned around. Violently,  we kicked him off the plank and he tumbled onto the sand with a loud thud. “Hey you, give my ship back or I’ll call the pirate police!” He squealed. It was too late, we had already sailed away …

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jessie,

Gorgeous work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 3

In our final creative writing lesson, we focused on emotive writing, thinking about how to use language to evoke an emotional response from the reader and play on their heartstrings.  The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help write the diary entries assigned for homework. It also contains our work on using word choice to produce two different descriptions of the same image, one which evokes sympathy and one which evokes anger, and our thoughts on creating interesting, well-rounded and complex characters. We used a stimulus piece of writing to consider how to interpret and read emotions from a text, and the students then used the wheel of emotion to formulate their own emotive interpretations of a character from the text which they did beautifully. We also considered the conventions of diary writing, and thought about the role of slang and idiom in diary writing to match the honest and emotive tone. The class created some gorgeous literary techniques, thinking about the way humans often express their emotions through figurative language and metaphor, and they also contributed some fab ideas about how to write a character profile that gets inside the mind of the character themselves. Everyone worked excellently today, really well done. I loved hearing all your different interpretations of the character of Hannah, her personality, emotions and motivations for acting the way she does in the story. I really look forward to reading your diaries entries. Keep up the fab work! 🙂

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Tianya
      Participant

Please find my diary entry attached.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Tianya,

Attachments:
      Yihua
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please find attached my homework for week 3.

Thanks,

Yihua

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yihua,

Attachments:
      Rui
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is my homework.

thanks

rui

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Rui,

Brilliant work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:

Dear Diary,

Today was a stressful and horrible day. I feel a mixture of emotions, furious and melancholy. This afternoon, grandma and I had an arrogant argument. Why does she doubt me all the time? Is she really my grandma? I feel unloved. Also I can’t believe that my sister Molly and grandpa were talking negatively about me! I overheard them discussing sending me to an orphanage! How could they! Are we a family? Did I do anything wrong? Why do they dislike me? I really wish mum and dad were here. I want to go back home.

The weather today is awful, the wind is howling like wolves. Dark clouds are hovering, rumbling like a starving stomach. Thunder streaks and cackles like a malicious witch up to a plan. My feeling is like the weather outside, the pain has struck my heart into a thousand pieces. A sense of loneliness has bled through me.

No one comes to comfort me, Molly locked herself in her bedroom. Grandma is roaring and grandpa murmuring back downstairs. This house feels unclose, lonely and unloved. Diary, I feel tired of thinking about the argument. I want to rest my head and wish tomorrow would be better. Bye.

Hannah

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jessie,

Fantastic work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      AmyZ
      Participant

Dear Beth,

please find my homework for week3 in attachment, thank you!

Amy

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Amy,

Very good work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Felix
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Please see attached for my homework. Sorry for the delay.

Thanks

Felix

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Felix,

No worries!

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 4

In today’s lesson we completed our creative writing mock exam, spending the first ten minutes of the lesson to quickly revise the core components of the three types of creative writing we have studied: descriptive writing, narrative writing and emotive writing. We also looked at some top tips for exam practice, and thought a bit about planning and time management. The class then spent twenty minutes completing their writing, using an additional five minutes to plan. They all worked in a very focused way today which was really fantastic and all seemed super prepared for their exam. They also then self-evaluated their work beautifully, thinking about what went wells and even better ifs and then thinking more deeply about whether they had included all the necessary elements such as literary techniques and advanced vocab. We planned a story together as a class which will hopefully help the students think about the different ways in which they can use the planning process to their advantage, and also thought a bit about tips for effective time management. Really great work today guys, I really look forward to reading the creative writing you completed today. Have a lovely rest of the week and I will see you all next week for the beginning of our essay writing classes 😊

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Homework: No homework this week as you’ve just done an exam. However, if you’d like to you can have a think about your even better ifs and have a think about how you could improve on your exam (after I’ve marked it). Read through your feedback when you get it and have a think about what you’d do differently next time or what other elements you could include (i.e. add some literary techniques etc.)

Yihua
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please find attached my writing for the mock exam.

Thanks,

Yihua

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yihua,

Brilliant work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
          Beth
          Participant

Sorry Yihua, I forgot to add a mark to your one, so I’ve attached a version with a mark to this reply!

Attachments:
      Felix
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks,

Felix

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Felix,

A strong effort this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Felix
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks,

Felix

Attachments:
      Tianya
      Participant

Hi Beth,

I typed in my writing via mock exam link but cannot see what I submitted. Please let me know if you have not received it.

Thank you.

Tianya

Beth
        Participant

Hi Tianya,

I’ve got it, thank you! 🙂 Will get your feedback to you very soon.

See you soon!

Beth

Beth
      Participant

Hi everyone,

You all did amazingly on the mock exam this week; I’m super impressed!

I’ve attached everyone’s feedback to this post.

See you soon!

Attachments:
      Yihua
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for sending the mark and the feedback.

However, I couldn’t see the changes/comments you did to my mock exam writing.

Could you please send again?

Thanks,

Yihua

Beth
        Participant

Hi Yihua,

So sorry! I’ll attach yours to this reply 😀

Brilliant work this week!

Attachments:
      Haoming
      Participant

Hello Beth,

I did not see my feedback and I remember submitting it last Thursday. Here is a copy of what I submitted.

Yours sincerely,

Haoming

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Haoming,

Thank you for sending this. I didn’t receive your exam until just now so try to always check to make sure it has definitely posted! The website sometimes doesn’t register a submission so it’s always best to double check (it happens to me sometimes too). I will get that back to you as soon as possible. Have a lovely week! 🙂

Beth
        Participant

Hi Haoming,

Brilliant work on your mock exam, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 5

In our first essay writing lesson together, we focused on persuasive writing, thinking about the different techniques we can use to write persuasively and to build convincing arguments.  The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help write the persuasive letters assigned for homework. It also contains our thoughts on the conventions of formal letter writing, the persuasive techniques thought up by the students and our work on debate skills through the game “fortunately, unfortunately”. Everyone worked very impressively today, our lesson together was fab and I was really impressed by the class’s knowledge of persuasive devices and how to use them. Well done everyone, I will attach the video below that you can watch to help revise. Keep up the amazing work! 🙂

Persuasive Techniques Revision: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRVOLqvXNmg

Homework 

Homework

Attachments:
      Rui
      Participant

Hello Beth,

This is my writing

Thank you

Rui

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Rui,

Some gorgeous work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon  🙂

Attachments:
      AmyZ
      Participant

Dear Spider-Man,

I hope you are very well. The reason I choose you is because there are robbers stealing precious things.

Another reason is that you have some super cool spiderwebs.

Also, I like you the most because I’m not really interested in girly stuff and I liked you when I first saw your superpowers. Also, our house has a lot of spiders, and it is perfect for you, I will be elated if you come to our town.

Sincerely,

Amy

Beth
        Participant

Hi Amy,

Some lovely work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon  🙂

Attachments:
      Yihua
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please find attached my persuasive letter writing.

Thanks,

Yihua

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yihua,

Thrilling work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Tianya
      Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Dear Super girl,</p>
      <p style=”text-align: left;”>I am completely dying for your help! My city is in terrible danger and is starting to get destroyed by crowing criminals. I couldn’t find anyone to help because they were all so occupied so the only person left is you! I know you are the best superhero because you’re super! I will give whatever you want and spend all my pocket money in return if you save my city. If you save my life I would be delighted, thrilled and over the moon! If you save my life I will call you a splendid spirit! Imagine, what it would be like if you were the centre of attention and top superhero of the world because you have saved most people’s lives and was still alive! It would be soooo incredible, stunning wonderful, unbelievable, marvelous, fascinating and admirable to listen to! So please, please, please help me because soon everything would be a catastrophe if you don’t!</p>
      <p style=”text-align: left;”>From your biggest fan,</p>
      <p style=”text-align: left;”>Tianya</p>

Tianya
      Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Dear Super girl,</p>
      <p style=”text-align: left;”>I am completely dying for your help! My city is in terrible danger and is starting to get destroyed by crowing criminals. I couldn’t find anyone to help because they were all so occupied so the only person left is you! I know you are the best superhero because you’re super! I will give whatever you want and spend all my pocket money in return if you save my city. If you save my life I would be delighted, thrilled and over the moon! If you save my life I will call you a splendid spirit! Imagine, what it would be like if you were the centre of attention and top superhero of the world because you have saved most people’s lives and was still alive! It would be soooo incredible, stunning wonderful, unbelievable, marvelous, fascinating and admirable to listen to! So please, please, please help me because soon everything would be a catastrophe if you don’t!</p>
      <p style=”text-align: left;”>From your biggest fan,</p>
      <p style=”text-align: left;”>Tianya</p>

Attachments:
      Tianya
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Apologies! Please ignore the words in the post and mark from the attachment instead.

Thank you.

Tianya

Beth
        Participant

Hi Tianya,

No worries!

Attachments:
      Felix
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please see attached for my homework.

Thanks

Felix

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Felix,

Fabulous work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon  🙂

Attachments:

Dear Spiderman,

You are such a loving, brave and powerful hero! You always give us hope! You have been saving mankind from all sorts of disasters. You are our hero! So today I am writing to you, requesting your help to catch the cunning criminals and save my town – Dorset. This is an awful disaster which is happening everyday.

Over the last few months, our town has turned into an unsafe place. According to a report, 49% of the crime in the UK is committed in my town. Many citizens have been robbed and stabbed. Death also rises to high levels, filling the burial places. Sadness has filled people’s hearts after losing close family and relatives. For instance, two parents were murdered on the street. Now their poor, unmature young children are living by themselves as orphans, not knowing what to do and how to survive.

Unfortunately, all robbers and burglars have escaped quicker than you think. They find loads of cunning ways to defend themselves, even the police aren’t able to capture them. Helicopters can’t keep track of them, the police cars aren’t fast enough to go after them. For certain, I know your magical superpower can catch them. You can travel as fast as a flash lightning bolt and strong as a vigorous lion.

This is why we urgently need your help. I know that you are always determined for emergencies and full of power. We need you now more than ever! Do you remember your close uncle killed by those nasty criminals? You probably felt melancholy for a long period of time, well that’s how the other villagers are feeling. Please, please we would like you to save us, change our lives peacefully and cheerfully again.

You won’t let us down right? We will be extremely grateful, pleased and relieved if you could come. I would love to hear from you soon!

Save us, spiderman!

Sincerely,

Jessie Nie, a concerned citizen.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jessie,

Superb work this week,  I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      KevinH
      Participant

27SuperPower Street

Robbery Town

HG7 8BT

23rd March 2021

Dear Mr. Superman,

HI, I am writing to you to beg for help. Are you the strongest? Do you want to save the world? Do you want to be famous and powerful? Then please come to our town, we got the biggest baddest baddies.

Do you want they rule the world ? If they are the king they could chop your head off and boiled it with cabbages or they could drop you into a snake pit or they feed you to the pig .My  head would explode with joy if you could come .

Yours Sincerely,

Kevin Hu

Beth
        Participant

Hi Kevin,

Nice work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 6

In our second essay writing lesson together, we focused on argumentative writing, thinking about how to build logical and watertight arguments using a seven-step format.  The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help write the argumentative essays assigned for homework. It also contains our thoughts on how to structure a piece of argumentative writing, what comes into our minds when we thinking about creating an argument and the subject of both a debate held in the lesson and the class’ homework for this week. The class did really well today, particularly when thinking about the differences between persuasive and argumentative writing and when creating a thesis statement on the subject of whether it would be good to be famous. They all came up with really strong points in our class creation of a seven step argument and thought deeply about the subject matter. Really well done everyone, impressive work today as always! I particularly enjoyed hearing your ideas in the debate you all participated in. I look forward to reading your essays and will see you next week 🙂

Here is the video from class if you would like to revise the key elements of writing to argue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB6QAfoyCS0&feature=emb_logo

Here is an extension video to watch if you have time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA5yIXCX4iA

Homework 

Homework

Attachments:
      Rui
      Participant

Hi Beth

Please look at my writing attached below

Thank you

Rui

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Rui,

Lovely work this week, I’ve attached  your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Yihua
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please find attached my writing for last week.

Thanks,

Yihua

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yihua,

Fantastic work this week,  I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      KevinH
      Participant

I think it good to be famous,because only 5% people can be famous in the country ,we can’t all be famous then the world will be wild . It really lucky to famous ou can do what you want and there ‘s nothing to worry about .

You achieved the thing you want,what do you want more, this opportunity is a billion times than those people who haven’t even found a job

45%people can’t even find a job and groveling for a job if you don’t want be famous ,let the people who is struggling to find a job have the amazing opportunity

In conclusion, if you famous you don’t need to that and that and those things that waste tie and you achieve what you want .

Now do you want to be famous?

Beth
        Participant

Hi Kevin,

Some great work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      KevinH
      Participant

here ‘s my work

KevinH
      Participant

Here ‘s my work

Most people wish to be famous and admired. But will the celebrity’s life be easy? No, I don’t think so, there are many problems.

The biggest problem is that you have no privacy. All your personal secrets which you don’t want to share are publicized by the media. Media tracks down, records, edits and exaggerates small issues to large ones that can be extremely stressful. Being out is a very annoying and depressing thing. Paparazzis always waiting outside your house, ready to follow you everywhere! So that, you’ll be forced to live in your own little secluded world and be unable to do anything that the average person can. This means it is rare to travel somewhere freely.

Moreover, being famous can be depressing, exhausting and stressful! You can’t live the life of an ordinary person. Magazines, newspapers, blogs, and other forms of media constantly judge you on your personalities, habits, bodies, and a lot more. On the news, a celebrity named Thomas argued against someone in a pub. Then the video has been put on instagram. This brings lots of criticism on him and makes him suffer from mental illness.

In addition, celebrities are busy all the time. In a celebrity routine, they needed to wake up very early and work until late night. The world famous actress – Lucy has stated that it is normal for her to wake up at 5 am and go to sleep at 2 am the next morning when she does the filming! Imagine having to wake up so early and work all day long!  What a hard life!Consequently, celebrities don’t have enough time for their common life, families and even themselves.

Last but not least, being famous is insecure. Imagine stalkers spying on you, You will feel unsafe and nervous! A crazy fan may try to kidnap you, your childrens or kill your family members! This makes you have no choice to stay at home all the time! It is similar to lockdown or being a criminal in prison. That must be very troublesome! Not only that, celebrities are easily attracting burglars. Because burglars always think celebrities are rich and their possessions are expensive. So the celebrities have to spend lots of money to hire bodyguards to protect themselves from others.

On balance, there are some advantages and also disadvantages of being famous. Besides having many opportunities and  having a wealthy life, but at the same time it’s tiring, annoying, dangerous and under pressure. This can turn your life from paradise to a terrible disaster. Now, do you still wish to be famous?

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jessie,

Terrific work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Felix
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please see attached for my homework.

Thank you

Felix

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Felix,

Nice work this week,  I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Haoming
      Participant

Hi Beth

Please see attached my homework.

Thank you

Haoming

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Haoming,

Some lovely work this week,  I’ve attached your feedback below.

See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 7

In our final essay writing lesson together, we focused on informative writing, thinking about how to write informatively in the context of newspaper writing.  The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help write the articles assigned for homework. It also contains our thoughts on how to structure a newspaper, how to create an eye-catching and effective headline, the students’ ideas about the important features of newspaper writing, and their thoughts on who their role models are and why. There is also a resource on the penultimate slide (slide 10) designed to help students create a fact file for their role model that they can base some of their article on, thinking about the kinds of information that would be good to include. Everyone worked really nicely today; I was really impressed by their understanding of the purpose of informative writing and their grasp of newspaper structure. I also really enjoyed hearing about their personal heroes and thought that their work finding interesting adjectives to describe them was fab! Keep up the good work everyone and I will see you all soon 🙂

Here is the video on newspaper writing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d29zoF4X340&feature=emb_logo

I’ve attached some templates below to use for homework (or you can create your own)

P.S. Remember to revise for our exam next week!

Homework 

Homework

Attachments:
      Tianya
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please find my personal hero attached.

Thank you.

Tianya

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Tianya,

Charming work this week,  I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      KevinH
      Participant

This my work , Thank you for checking .

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Kevin,

I’m not sure if you attached the wrong file, but I can only see a blank page when I open that link.

If you upload it again, I’ll get your marking back to you as soon as possible! 😀

Rui
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please check my newspaper attached below

Thank you

Rui

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Rui,

Stellar work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Yihua
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please find attached my writing homework.

Thanks,

Yihua

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yihua,

Lovely work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:

<p style=”text-align: center;”>My hero, my mum</p>
      A hero to me is someone who is always by my side, helping me through struggles, difficulties and problems. That hero is my mum! She makes me feel like I’m the most important person in the world, because I know she would do anything for me.

She works attentionally to details, making sure I have everything I need. Unlike some mothers, she doesn’t spend her day relaxing, nor sending messages on her phone. Instead she sacrifices each second for us. She barely has any leisure time. Everyday, she cooks us meals which gives me a large appetite. Every week, she does the laundry and constantly does the housework.

My mum is the most selfless, caring and thoughtful person in my life. For instance, my mum had to prepare Christmas Dinner for many people. Many days before, she was busy sorting out the menu which is suitable for everybody. She spent a whole day in the kitchen. Whenshe finished cooking, she was exhausted to enjoy the food. But we all loved it very much!

She always puts me before herself. She doesn’t spend money on herself but for me. She allows me to have endless opportunities to enroll in different activities. Such as piano, flute, drama, art and so much more!

My mum is deeply important to me because she is the one who helpes me with problems, homework and teaches me useful tricks in life that I didn’t know before! Not only that, she has taught me to love myself, and to be proud of who I am. My mother has always said that you should do your best and encourage my potential.

Furthermore, when I am down, she always cheers me up making the sadness and anger fly away. When I am hurt, she always protects me and cures my bruises and injures. This makes me feel joyful and forget the pain.

My mother and I don’t have the perfect relationship all the time. We sometimes argue, but we always make up by the end of the day because we both know we can’t live without each other.

All words can’t show how deep the love I have for her. I feel so blessed to have such an amazing, helpful mother. She is the number one mum in the whole world. There is no such thing as life without her. She is my hero forever.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jessie,

Expressive work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      KevinH
      Participant

Sorry ,Beth I sent the the wrong file

Here is my work

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Kevin,

No worries!

Great work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      AmyZ
      Participant

Dear Beth,

please find my homework for week7 in attachment, thank you!

Amy

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Amy,

Some good work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below.  See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 8

In today’s lesson we completed our essay writing mock exam, spending the first ten minutes of the lesson to quickly revise the core components of the three types of essay writing we have studied: persuasive writing, argumentative writing and informative writing. We also looked at some language techniques in advance of the exam, and thought a bit about planning and time management. The class then spent twenty minutes completing their writing, using an additional five minutes to plan. They also then self-evaluated their work fantastically, thinking about what went wells and even better ifs. Everyone worked really well in today’s lesson, and were all super on the ball when it came to identifying the most important parts of each type of essay writing. I was really impressed by their focus and look forward to reading all of their exams. Congratulations guys, you should all be really proud of yourselves! It has been lovely working with you all, and I hope to see you all again soon 🙂

Homework 

Homework

Attachments:
      Felix
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please find attached for Felix’s homework for lesson  7 and the mock.

Apologies for the delay again.

Thank you for your time

Kind regards,

Yan

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Felix,

No worries at all!

Fabulous work over the last two weeks, I’ve attached your feedback all in one document below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Hi everyone,

Amazing work all round on the mock tests we did last week! I’ve attached all of your feedback to this post. See you soon 😀

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Hi Jessie,

So sorry for the delay on your marking, I must have somehow missed yours off.

Incredible work on this mock exam, well done!

My apologies, again. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Tianya
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please find my nature poem attached.

Thank You,

Tianya

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Tianya,

Excellent work this week,  I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 1

In our lesson today we focused on using advanced literary techniques, thinking about how to understand the effect of literary techniques and practicing using them in the right context. The PowerPoint with all of the resources is attached, which should be used to help write the poems assigned for homework. We completed work brainstorming all of our knowledge on literary techniques and the class then worked beautifully writing their own examples of different advanced techniques. They showed real skill in being able to layer literary techniques effectively, coming up with some really interesting ideas for how to communicate an image in a powerful way. We then studied a poem- City Jungle by Pie Corbett- that uses a variety of literary techniques in a really effective way. The students analysed this poem really beautifully and thoroughly before coming up with an extra line to the poem which mirrored Corbett’s use of techniques. Everyone worked fantastically today, really well done guys! I was really impressed with how hard you all worked, and how you showed a passion for understanding these advanced concepts. Keep up the amazing work and I’ll see you all next week! 🙂

Homework 

Homework

P.S. Here is the video we watched outlining different examples of literary techniques in pop culture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_pxfifB6Co

Attachments:
      Felix
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please ser attached for my homework.

Thank you

Kind regards

Felix

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Felix,

Dynamic work this week, I’ve  attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Zean
      Participant

Hi Beth

Sorry for the late homework please find attached of my homework, thanks.

Best regards

Zean x

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Zean,

No worries!

Attachments:

Busy City Life

I live in a city,

No meadows no plants

Towering blocks of flats

Hunched houses sitting

Rushing, raging streets

Crazy, chaotic people

Beep beep beep,

Honks horns angrily

Vroom vroom vroom,

Cars run impatiently

Zoom zoom zoom,

Motorbikes somersault swiftly

Dozy children stumble,

Ouch ouch ouch

School bus moaning,

Hurry hurry hurry

Relieved parents waving,

Bye bye bye

Open sign flips

Families bursting in

Looking in the aisles

Many things to see

Warmth inside me, perfect place to be,

This is my city, as lovely as can be.

-by Jessie

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jessie,

Vibrant work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      VickyZ
      Participant

Objects Of The Abandoned City

The cans rattle with frustration,
      The motorbike sneers like a crow,
      The rubbish bins growls at the sight,
      As the newspapers flys by.

The house was hunched
      And the lamps are twisted,
      The road was furious
      And the streets were hissing…

Beth
        Participant

Hi Vicky,

Expressive work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 2

In today’s lesson we focused on the concept of writer’s voice, thinking about how to expand our own style of writing to create a unique, original and interesting voice. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help write the free-writing pieces assigned for homework. It also contains our work on how to find and develop your voice, our ideas on free-writing, and our considerations of tone and how it can change the style and form of the writing we do. The class also engaged in a really fantastic debate, where they explored different ways of arguing using different tones, and completed exercises on stepping outside of their writer’s comfort zone, trying to experiment with unfamiliar types of writing. Everyone worked beautifully today, I was particularly impressed by how energetic all the students were in exploring tone in their writing, coming up with some really fun and creative ways of imprinting different tones and emotions onto a debate about whether children should be able to eat whatever they want. Fantastic work today guys, keep it up and I look forward to reading your free-writing homework! See you soon 😊

Homework 

Homework

Attachments:
      Emili
      Participant

Hi Beth

This is my homework.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Emily,

Attachments:
      VMWEdu
      Keymaster

these are Emily’s homework, thanks.

Attachments:
      VickyZ
      Participant

Dear Beth:

Please find my homework in my attachment, hope to see you soon😁!

Vicky

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Vicky,

Super work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:

Should School Canteens stop serving Junk Food?

I think canteens should be banned from offering junk food like pizza, chips, fried fish, cake, ice-cream, biscuits and ects.

Firstly, children are growing at all times, theyneed nutrition to help them and build strength. However, junk food contains a lot of unhealthy ingredients like fats, high levels of sugar, and calories. All these are harmful, they can cause some serious health problems like damaging organs and conditions like diabetes. Also it is recorded that 97% of our world’s health experts think it doesn’t have any benefits towards our bodies.

Moreover, eating these unhealthy meals can create nasty habits which are hard to get rid of and can often lead to being overweight and lazy. For instance, people have discovered that the more you eat, the more you want.

Some people believe that children should eat junk food for a treat for lunch and boost them for their other lessons. However, children’s behaviour will be out of control and hipper. Or even worse mental illness and brain function. This will affect their learning greatly, making it hard for them to understand, concentrate and think. Not only affecting learning, the mood will also change. Becoming a complaining, grumpy, fussy and angry person.

This is why I think children should be banned from junk food, instead served more green, fresh and healthy meals to keep them fit. You wouldn’t want children all crazy, ill and mad do you?

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jessie,

Incredible work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 3

In today’s lesson we studied poetry, focusing particularly on the genre of nonsense poetry and using Lewis Carroll’s famous poem Jabberwocky for inspiration. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help write the poems assigned for homework. It also contains our work on poetic techniques, iambic pentameter and our analysis of Carroll’s poem, focusing on language, rhythm, meter, rhyme and nonsense words. The class create some beautiful portmanteaus to help them begin to explore the genre of nonsense writing, and also considered the importance of symbolism and metaphor in poetry in a really wonderfully thoughtful way. I really loved hearing their own versions of nonsense poetry, and was really impressed by their grasp and use of iambic pentameter and rhyme. Really fantastic work today guys, keep it up! I look forward to reading the poems you come up with for homework, and am especially excited to explore your nonsense language and the world you create with it 😊

Give this video a watch if you can, it’s a really helpful video on poetic patterns, rhythm and movement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URuMb15CWJs

Here is the Jabberwocky video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLQos7-Vq8M

Homework 

Homework

Attachments:
      Emili
      Participant

Hi Beth

This is my homework.

A day a boy was leaving his father as he warned him about the jabberwocky who

was dangersterous. And the other whom that people feared the battle with. With he packed the sharsilly blade and with his fearless self he managed to set off early. He set of with a lesscare sword as he rested under the tum-

tum tree. He defeated the jabberwocky with a slashing sword and inbred his mouth to kill and the farther chortled in joyend way and said ,”come to my arms my beamish boy. “
      “Yes the day you defeated the jabberwocky hepee Holay heeheee your finally have killed it!”

Beth
        Participant

Hi Emily,

Charming work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Tianya
      Participant

Hello Beth,

Please find my Nalm world poem

thank you,

Tianya

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Tianya,

Stunning  work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Zean
      Participant

Hi Beth

Please find attached of my homework , thanks.

Zean

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Zean,

Vibrant work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Zean
      Participant

Hi Beth

Please find attached of my homework , thanks.

Attachments:

Octorurtle

Oh its eight outstretching arms are as long as a bus,

Oh its shiny, neon skin is as green as grass

Oh its bulbous reflecting eyes are as clear as glass

Oh its scaly shiny shell is as beautiful as brass.

The Octorutle is a slug slow slow slow

But its long arms can stretch far far far

Reach those fishes quick quick quick

All in it’s tummy yum yum yum!

The bizarre creature hides itself

in its small, heavy golden shell

Sheltering in a coral bluebell

He loves his home very well!

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jessie,

Stunning work this week, I’ve  attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Felix
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please see attached for Felix’s homework for lesson 2 &3.

Apologise for delay in handing it in.

Thank you

Kind regards,

Felix

Attachments:
        Felix
        Participant

One pic missing.

Felix

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Felix,

No worries!

Incredible work this week, I’ve attached the feedback for both weeks in one document below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Felix
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is Felix’s mock for today.

Thank you

Kind regards,

Felix

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 4

In today’s lesson we completed our second creative writing mock exam, spending the first ten minutes of the lesson to quickly revise the core conventions of the three components of creative writing we have studied recently: advanced literary techniques, writer’s voice and poetry. We also looked at some top tips for creative writing and the process of thinking up initial ideas in a short space of time and thought a bit about planning and time management. The class then spent twenty minutes completing their writing, using an additional five minutes to plan. They all did really well today and worked in a very focused and diligent manner. The students self-evaluated their work, thinking about what went wells and even better ifs, which they should keep hold of to help them in their next exam, and then they all engaged wonderfully in thinking more deeply about whether they had included all the necessary elements such as literary techniques and advanced vocab. Congratulations for completing your mock today everyone, I really look forward to reading your work and am really proud of the work you have submitted today. Your feedback will be out soon- well done and keep up the gorgeous, creative energy you all have going! 😊

Homework 

Hoemwro

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Hi everyone,

Brilliant work on your mock exams, I’ve attached all of your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 5

In today’s lesson we studied advanced vocab, thinking about how to use William Shakespeare’s legacy of an innovative and colourful use of language to inspire the class’s own vocab work. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help write the stories assigned for homework. It also contains our work on word attack strategies, thinking about how to use context to figure out the definition of an unfamiliar word, our thoughts on translating Shakespeare into Modern English using word attack, the students’ work on creating Shakespearean insults and some facts about the evolution of the English language in the sixteenth century. Everyone worked really beautifully today, the class was really energised and found some outstanding ways to make their vocab and language more advanced, vivid and lively. I was really impressed by the fight scenes they wrote and the way they used dynamic verbs and language to push their vocab up to the next level. Furthermore, their ability to delineate the meaning of words was really super, and I was impressed at their Shakespearean translations and the level of understanding they displayed. Well done everyone- keep up the amazing work and I’ll see you next week! 😊

Videos from the lesson:

Using Context to Determine the Meaning of Words: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm5d7c0xGt0&t=82s

Shakespeare’s Quotations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI8FwWMuF9k

Extra videos to help with homework:

Shakespeare’s Language (the history of English): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMkuUADWW2A

Shakespearean Words and Phrases: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDdIEljrtZ4

Horrible Histories Shakespeare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDWV_b3mgPk

Shakespeare’s Theatre: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1rbtHchv1g

Homework 

Homework

Attachments:
      Emili
      Participant

This is Emily’s homework.

I thought that it went well when l guessed the made up words that Shakespeare used were really creative. I thought that l really good at guessing the words.

I think l will be better if l could write more quickly because l can’t write to quickly. I also thought that it would be better if I could understand lots of words.

Author and James, king Henry

In this fighting sene there will be to fools who both lost in battle but James lost first. Enough about the story let’s move on the real story.

“Youth eye-bleeding is just making me sick” teased Author slashing his sword at James. “How dare you fool me l am the lord-bee you may call me boar-head. “”Youth got more slither smelling bruises than me! “OW! OWCH! “You will pay for my fab-inoccenets”. “What out pig-head don’t step in the fire” warned Author. Well he did, got burned; as he stepped to pick up James. When he went in the hot, burning flames to show his body and get a reward… he burned himself to, so he did not show it to king Henry.

I used imperative commas, onomatopoeia, 2A sentences, boy’s sentences, ellipses and semicolon.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Emily,

Attachments:
      Tianya
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is my shakespear story.

Thank you,

Tianya

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Tianya,

Charming work this week,  I’ve attached  your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:

It was one gloomy night, when the stars were shining bright in the warm breeze, the foolish blue knight swaggered, tugging his beige coloured war fighting horse and leading his bloody well-trained army to the wretched fortress of their enemy. The castle was too horrible to be real, it was in a complete eyesore state. Its walls were all black burnt and had no delightful greeting towards them. From the far distance, it looked more than an old lump of stone sitting helplessly on an overgrown hill.

Outside the drawbridge, it was pitch dark and was very quiet except for a nightingale who started tweeting around the topmost branches of an elm surrounding it. Inside the lit room lying awakeuncomfortably, the famous fearless red knight ( Head of Knightingberry ) could smell something fishy. Someone or something ought to attack. Not far away, he could hear the soft unclear murmur or men and every now and then a clink of swords and spears. The knight looked outside his window. There were dark shadows on the nearby hills. He threw on his scarlet robes, and took his weapons. Pulled the bell and the full house was awake. The knight warned everyone about it and they were all set, knowing their castle was going to be besieged.

The red knight ran up the stairs, leaping three steps at the time and he bellowed, “You goatish, artless loggerheaded fool, how beef-witted you are! In the end you will regret it. You really are a dare devil looking with trouble! You’ll see!”

“ I beg my pardon you fawning, mangled stubborn dewberry, who thou canst defeat a fly.” The blue knight yelled, his face turning deep red, looking if he could bite his head off. “I’m warning you.”

“Excuse me, you dizzied eye flap-dragon, with one slash of my sword you ought to utter goodbye.” The head of Knightingberry shot back.

They fought all night, destined to win. At last, when the sun was slowly rising, the Reds thought of a plan. The red knight and his men shot cannibals, since they knew the Blues won’t resist it. “It’s our weakness!” shrieked the Blue team, “We must retreat!” And they did, scampering away like crazy children away and away. Never wanting to dare come back.

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 6

In today’s lesson we studied rhetorical devices, thinking about the different ways in which rhetoric is used. We considered the structure of classical rhetoric, a tradition descended from Ancient Greece, and thought about how to use the pathos/ethos/logos structure to add a crucial sense of purpose to our writing. The class also considered the many different types of evidence that can be used in rhetorical writing, revising and practicing their persuasive devices. Finally, we studied the famous I Have a Dream speech by Dr Martin Luther King, thinking about how he masterfully used rhetoric to convey his message. We considered the powerful language he used and the fact that he not only used persuasive techniques (repetition, direct address, rhetorical questions) but also literary and poetic ones (metaphor, simile, personification etc.). The class worked beautifully today, I really enjoyed hearing their thoughts on how pathos, logos and ethos could be used to ensure structure and purpose in a text and thought their analysis of Martin Luther King’s speech was fantastic. Really well done everyone, keep up the great work! 😊

P.S. The homework template is on Slide 9

Video on rhetoric: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3klMM9BkW5o

Video on the day of the MLK speech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_YAEXEPYPg

Video of the I Have A Dream speech, recorded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dKimoybmEo

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Emili
      Participant

Hi this is Emily’s homework

I have a dream that on day the nation will not have so much rules.

I have a dream that one day l will be free.

I have a dream that one day l can do whatever l want to.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day l will see the future days with my own eyes that are not blind.

I have a dream today

I have a dream that one day l will be free.

This is my hope and faith.

With this hope and faith we will be able to be together.

This will be the day when l am one year older.

I have a dream.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Emily,

Convincing work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Tianya
      Participant

Hello Beth,

Here is my ‘I have a dream’ speech. Hope you like it!

Tianya

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Tianya,

Stunning work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:

I have a dream that one day this nation will have peace. No war, no violence no judgments. And the world will be back to the peaceful, flawless and pleasant world when God created it.

I have a dream that one day people from the East to West, North to the South will be united, living in harmony, freedom and reconciliation.

I have a dream that one day I can travel dream, a thousand miles to make friends from different nations, holding hands together, being best friends forever.

I have a dream that kindness will spread everywhere, love, joy and peace on everyone’s faces.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day our hearts will be passionate and treat the whole universe as a good friend.

This is my hope and faith. With this faith we will be able to contemplate what is good for our people, our nation, our world. The world will be united as one family.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jessie,

Beautiful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 7

In this week’s lesson we looked at informative writing, specifically writing instructions. The PowerPoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help write the survival guide task assigned for homework. This week we looked at the use of imperatives and their effect, treating our readers as aliens, exactly how specific you have to be when writing instructions, the things that can go wrong if you are not specific enough, and our top ten tips for instructional writing. The attached PowerPoint includes some the techniques that should be used when writing the homework on Slide 4, along with lots of ideas to get the class thinking about how to explain and instruct in the clearest, most concise and comprehensible way. They completed their group work excellently, working together incredibly well to gather and structure their ideas on this genre of writing and staying focused despite technical difficulties. They were also able to come up with some really interesting survival scenarios, and respond creatively when thinking of tips and tricks to include. Excellent work today everyone- keep it up and I’ll see you all next week for our mock exam! 😊

Homework 

Homework

Attachments:
      VickyZ
      Participant

Dear Beth:

Please find my homework in attachment, thank you!

Vicky

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Vicky,

Fascinating work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Emili
      Participant

Hi this is Emily’s homework.

<i>How to earn money from dare.

You will</i> need: some rotten cloths to wear, a box of brownies, crunches, soap and <i> a house to sneak in with bread crumbs on the grass.</i>

<i>1. You wear the rotten cloths and carry a box of brownies and spill it to get a man to pick it up to you</i>

<i>if that doesn’t work try part two.</i>

<i>2. Hop on one leg and you bend the other and tuck it in your trousers. Say “ l beg for me leg”.</i>

<i>That does not work? Go to the very gross next step.</i>

<i>3. Sneak in a house with crumbs on the grass and pick it up and eat it slowly until you see an old lady.
      </i>

<i>Doesn’t work too? Read the next step.</i>

<i>4. Crawl into your locker and DIE.</i>

Beth
        Participant

Hi Emily,

Fab work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:

How to stay safe during a earthquake

In most situations, immediately get down to your limbs. Then cover your head and neck.

If you are INSIDE…

● Do not exit the building. Drop down on your knees to stop you from falling when the earth quakes.

● Quickly move away from glass, hanging objects or other large furniture that could fall, including windows and doors. Perhaps, huddle up under a sturdy table or desk.

● If you are in a tall building or flat, do not take the lift. The electricity may be cut off and get trapped inside.

If you are OUTSIDE…

● Stay out. Run as far as you can into the open, away from streets, buildings, trees and anything that could fall onto you.

● Once you have escaped, get down low to the ground and stay there until all the shaking stops.

If you are in a VEHICLE…

● Stay in your vehicle, it is a good place to stay until all of the shaking is over.

● Move your car away from busy places into the open. Do not drive on flyovers and pass places with overhead wires that may fall onto you.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jessie,

Delightful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Zean
      Participant

Hi Beth,

I hope you are doing well. Here is my homework.

Best regards, Zean

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Zean,

Attachments:
      Tianya
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is my mock.

Tianya

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Tianya,

Brilliant work on this mock exam, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Felix
      Participant

Hi Beth,

I have attached Felix’s mock as well as all the homework for lesson 5,6,7. Really apologies for handing these late. Highly appreciate your time in the feedback.

Thank you

Kind regards,

Yan

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Felix,

Amazing work on your mock last week, I’ve attached your feedback below. I’ll get to your other overdue marking soon and get that back to you as soon as possible. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Felix
      Participant

Sorry. Missing one. Lesson 5

Attachments:

Dear Beth,

I think you might missed to mark my lesson five’s homework, do you might to go back and have a look, thank you for your time:)

love,

Jessie

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jessie,

My apologies, must have missed it!

I’ve attached your feedback for that to this reply; brilliant work, well done! 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

<b>Summary for Lesson 8 </b>

In our final lesson we completed our last essay writing mock exam, spending the first ten minutes of the lesson to quickly revise the core components of the three types of essay writing we have studied: advanced vocab, rhetorical devices and instructional writing. The class then spent twenty-five minutes completing their writing, using an additional five minutes to plan. They also then self-evaluated their work beautifully, thinking about what went wells and even better ifs. Congratulations guys, you all worked super hard in this mock and I was really impressed by your work. Keep up the hard work and I’ll see you all soon! Well done 🙂

Here is the exam skills video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoDvBTRe7U4

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Hi everyone,

Fabulous work on your mock exams last week, I’ve attached all of your feedback below (unless you submitted your work on this forum, then it is attached to your reply). See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Albert
      Participant

This is my homework. Thanks.

Albert.

Attachments:
      MichaelW
      Participant

Dear Beth,

please see my homework for last week.

Thank you

Attachments:
      MichaelW
      Participant

Hi Beth, please see my homework for this week.

thank you

Michael

Attachments:
Viewing 105 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar