Viewing 166 reply threads
  • Author
      VMWEdu
      Keymaster
      Jonathan
      Participant

Jonathan Class Four

25th February 2021

So I’m bearing the gusts of wind and snow, marching blindly in despair.

First, let me explain what happened to me. An hour before, the sun is about to dip below the horizon. I was freezing, so I decided to start heading back to my warm house. Unfortunately, snow fell heavily, and I got lost in the dark, surrounded by mountains that look similar, all covered with snow.

It was at twilight, around 7 o’clock. The sun turned bright and red, but most of the sunlight got blocked by the lofty mountains. The rest of the sunlight illuminated the snow into a warm, red colour.

I turned around and faintly saw a pair of flashing eyes. I think it is a wolf. Innumerable wolves appeared in this area. I was paralyzed with fear. I stepped back, gradually and quietly, to be unexposed to the wolf so the wolf won’t attack.

I climbed up to a rocky hill to get a better viewpoint. I can’t see any signs that show residence. I was frozen from head to toe. I decided to light up a fire to keep myself warm and also a signal for help if anyone could see me.

I got a wider vision at this viewpoint. I put my hands above my eyes and peered into the environment around me. Suddenly, I saw a faint glimmer of light on my right-hand side. I raced through the darkness. After ten minutes, I finally arrived.

I looked at the wood cabin in front of me. This is not my house. I sighed with disappointment and started to walk desperately again. Suddenly, a thought flashed through my head. I can tell that nobody lives here anymore because I can’t see any shoes or clothes through the window and the door is unlocked. Plus, this is at least a cosy and warm shelter for me to sleep. I won’t get eaten by some wolf or freeze to death outside.

It’s still a temporary plan anyway, and I’ll search for my house tomorrow when it’s warmer and brighter.

Good night diary, and wish me luck.

Jonathan
      Participant

25th February 2021

So I’m bearing the gusts of wind and snow, marching blindly in despair.

First, let me explain what happened to me. An hour before, the sun is about to dip below the horizon. I was freezing, so I decided to start heading back to my warm house. Unfortunately, snow fell heavily, and I got lost in the dark, surrounded by mountains that look similar, all covered with snow.

It was at twilight, around 7 o’clock. The sun turned bright and red, but most of the sunlight got blocked by the lofty mountains. The rest of the sunlight illuminated the snow into a warm, red colour.

I turned around and faintly saw a pair of flashing eyes. I think it is a wolf. Innumerable wolves appeared in this area. I was paralyzed with fear. I stepped back, gradually and quietly, to be unexposed to the wolf so the wolf won’t attack.

I climbed up to a rocky hill to get a better viewpoint. I can’t see any signs that show residence. I was frozen from head to toe. I decided to light up a fire to keep myself warm and also a signal for help if anyone could see me.

I got a wider vision at this viewpoint. I put my hands above my eyes and peered into the environment around me. Suddenly, I saw a faint glimmer of light on my right-hand side. I raced through the darkness. After ten minutes, I finally arrived.

I looked at the wood cabin in front of me. This is not my house. I sighed with disappointment and started to walk desperately again. Suddenly, a thought flashed through my head. I can tell that nobody lives here anymore because I can’t see any shoes or clothes through the window and the door is unlocked. Plus, this is at least a cosy and warm shelter for me to sleep. I won’t get eaten by some wolf or freeze to death outside.

It’s still a temporary plan anyway, and I’ll search for my house tomorrow when it’s warmer and brighter.

Good night diary, and wish me luck.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jonathan,

Amazing work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Beth
      Participant

Advanced Vocab Lesson Summary 

Hi! I’ve attached the lesson summary and powerpoint below. See you all next week!

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Grammar and Structure Lesson Summary 

Hi! I’ve attached the lesson summary and powerpoint below. See you all next week!

Attachments:
      Jonathan
      Participant

Jonathan Lesson 7

Should Violent Video Games Be Banned?

Should violent video games be banned? There are more and more video games with violent contents. Violent video games should be banned. There are three main reasons: they pollute children’s minds, cause a short temper, and causes aggressive behaviour.

First of all, violent video games pollute children’s minds. Childrens’ minds are still developing and moulding. They should do activities like read books to stay mental- healthy. The violent contents may stimulate immature brains. Children’s mind can’t understand things very well; they may remember the violent content ignorantly and then copy it. Those contents may construct a false value and morality. Value and moral are two things that are important and will affect a person’s future life and career. If you want to have a bright future, stop being addicted and stop playing violent videogames.

The second reason why violent video games should be banned is they cause a short temper. Adult games, like Grand Theft Auto V, include killing and inappropriate language. You will start considering these contents as an ordinary thing, and you will become an impudent, impolite, and irritable person in real life. Also, if you get addicted to violent video games, you will be uninterested
      and impatient in anything.

The last reason is violent video games causes aggressive behaviour. Research shows violent video games make distinct changes in brain activity, which will cause aggressive behaviour in real life. You will indulge in playing violent video games; video games will occupy your head, and you will start imitating the violence subconsciously and change you into a hostile person. Furthermore, your friends and family became estranged from you, and maybe you will suffer from depression!

Violent video games should be banned. They pollute children’s minds, cause a short temper, and causes aggressive behaviour. It’s neither educational nor unethical. It will only ruin people’s minds. If you want a bright future, don’t play them; if you want a delighted life, don’t play them; if you want your friends, family, and health, don’t play them!

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jonathan,

Superb work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Biru
      Participant

attached please find my homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Biru,

Impressive work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Biru
      Participant

Attached please find my homework.

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Analytical Essay Writing Lesson Summary

Attachments:
      Jonathan
      Participant

Jonathan Lesson 8

Analysis of ‘Nervous and Anxious’

The author of ‘Nervous and Anxious’ did a splendid job to stimulate the reader’s interest. He uses excellent structure and tremendous language to attract the reader continuously.

The author structures this passage effectively. Though the passage is short, it still has a clear structure. The author divides the whole passage into three paragraphs; each paragraph has a point, evidence, and explanation. These parts construct the paragraph and passage comprehensible. For example, the second paragraph states the dictionary will tell you the literal difference between ‘nervous’ and ‘anxious’ (the point); then, the author lists some example situations when you’re whether nervous or anxious (the evidence); finally, the author explains the difference between the passage and a dictionary (the explanation).

The author also uses humorous language. He describes nervous as the feeling when you were served prune ice cream for dessert and anxious as the feeling when you were served a live alligator for dessert. You may also notice that the author uses direct address frequently. Direct address involves and engages the reader, and the author uses direct address successfully and effectively. Another conspicuous thing is the comparison between this passage and a dictionary. Reading a dictionary might make you feel nervous but reading this passage will make you feel anxious. The author uses an example of the passage itself to explain the difference between the two words ‘nervous’ and ‘anxious’ to the reader. In this way, the reader can feel the difference themselves and have a more profound understanding.

The author made the reader interested successfully. The clear structure, like the PEE paragraphs (point, evidence, and explanation), combined with the brilliant language, like the author’s sense of humour, direct address, and comparison, creates this fabulous passage.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jonathan,

Terrific work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Biru
      Participant

Competition

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Biru,

Lovelywork on your exam, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      William
      Participant

William writing

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi William,

Some great work on your exam, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Jonathan
      Participant

A Subject That Should be Eliminated

Do you have a subject that you think is wasting your precious school time? Well, the most pointless subject in my school for me is dance. Dance should be eliminated, because it is repeated learning, wastes your after-school time.

First of all, dance is repeated learning. In my school, each class has forty minutes. In each dance class, we usually have only two to five new movement. After teaching, we practice the movement for the whole period. I think spending so much time on a subject that you dislikes or useless in your life is meaningless. What if someone likes dance class? You may ask. Well, in my school, there is an after-school program that you can sign up for. If you want to dance, you can join the dance program.

The second reason why dance should be eliminated is it wastes your after-school time. Our dance class has tests and the requirements are strict. If you didn’t practice, it might affect your grade for the school term! The dance moves look easy, but actually, it’s difficult. You need to have extra practice. In fifth grade, you are almost a secondary student and the schoolwork doubles. Is this more important than your language or math classes?

In conclusion, dance should be eliminated, because it is repeated learning, wastes your after-school time. This subject wastes a lot of time, and it does not worth it.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jonathan,

Fantastic work on your exam, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Mock Exam Lesson Summary

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Authoritative Voice and Style Lesson Summary

Attachments:
      Jonathan
      Participant

Jonathan Lesson 10

Should Guns Be Eradicated?

Sarcastic tone:

Should guns be eradicated? This question is like asking if we should breathe air. The answer is obvious: yes. Guns cause unnecessary panic, injury, and kill. Do you want to be frightened or make others frightened? Do you want to increase the number of death each year? Do you want your family, your friends, and yourself to be injured or killed? If not, guns should be eradicated. In the previous years, we could see news reports of conflicts and suffering caused by guns. If you check the data, you can see something astonishing. The number of death’s proportion of the gun-allowed countries and gun-prohibited countries differed profoundly. Why do you still want to live in pain if you can choose not to?

Emotive tone:

Guns are the disguise of the evils! Guns cause unnecessary panic, injury, and kill. Guns make millions of people suffer every year. What do you think if one of your friends or family members is injured by a gun one day? I believe nobody wants to live under a murky and gloomy sky. The real, colourful, bright sky is covered by grey, evil clouds. Yes, guns should be eradicated! Don’t let the evil force dominate the world one day, and then we will be the slaves of guns! Everyone will live in misery and despair caused by injuries and deaths by then!

Formal tone:

Guns are causing unnecessary panic, injury, and kill currently. Billions of people are perplexed by the injuries and deaths caused by guns. We should eradicate guns together. Guns cause conflicts. It makes us separated instead of united. Guns are like a gloomy cloth that covers our pulchritudinous bright Earth. If you think guns are fine for you, listen to this: there are hundreds of people being killed by guns outside while you are in your home safely. Isn’t the astonishing? To avoid innocent people being harmed, or making an accident worse, guns should be eradicated. Remember, violence is always not the solution to problems.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jonathan,

Beautiful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Rhetorical Devices Lesson Summary

Attachments:
      Jonathan
      Participant

Jonathan Lesson 11

I Have a Dream

I have a dream that one day this nation will have eternal peace and compassion. All men will unite as one, fight as one, and resist as one!

I have a dream that one day wealth and the level of education won’t be the yardstick of success anymore. Everyone lives with dignity without worrying about ridicule and discrimination.

I have a dream that one day a rich, urban child can play with a poor, rural child freely like brothers and sisters. All they will play together without concerns.

I have a dream that educated people that go to university can make friends with people that never been to school one day. They can have pure brotherhood. There will be no opinions, no mockery, no opposition.

I have a dream that wealth and the level of education won’t be the yardstick of success anymore. Everyone lives with dignity without worrying about ridicule and discrimination.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day strata will disappear. Even the people in poverty can live with pride and freedom; even the uneducated people can have the authority to walk on this land of equality and compassion.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day comparisons between people will disappear. They are not compared by how luxurious their houses are or how much knowledge they have. They can savour an equal life.

This is my hope and faith. With this faith we will be able to turn this nation into a land of love and happiness. With this faith we will have fates intertwined. With this faith we will finally be equal one day!

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jonathan,

Incredible work this week,  I’ve attached  your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Essay Writing Workshop Lesson Summary

Attachments:
      Biru
      Participant

high

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Biru,

My apologies for the delay in your marking!

Wonderful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Jonathan
      Participant

Is science or art more essential to humanity? This is a controversial question. I think art is more essential because it makes us know how to appreciate the world, makes the world full of happiness.

Art makes us know how to appreciate the world. Look around you, and listen; maybe you never noticed the drawings and colours things have, and maybe you never noticed how beautiful music are. Then, imagine the things without drawings and colours on them and your life without music; the world turned dull and boring. What is the joy and meaning of life then?

Art makes the world full of happiness. I always say art delights the world. Newborn babies will be amused by bright colours and interesting pictures; a young person may go to art galleries, museums, and performances; an elderly may enjoy the music he/she loves. Art will brighten your day.

Science supporters may argue, science is what pushes the world further. I want you to think about it: what is the reason people want to push the world further? People want to push the world further because they hope the people in the future will have better lives. However, art makes lives better! We do not seek a future full of robots and high-tech weapons; we seek a bright, care-free future, where people can enjoy life.

If you ask me, which one makes progress for the world, I’m not sure; but if you ask me, which one is more essential to humanity, it’s art. It makes us know how to appreciate the world, makes the world full of happiness.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jonathan,

Attachments:
      William
      Participant

William writing. Science and art

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi William,

Great work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Mock Exam Lesson Summary

Hi! I’ve attached the lesson summary and powerpoint below. I look forward to seeing you all again in the future 🙂

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Summary:

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Descriptive Writing Lesson Summary

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Advanced Literary Techniques Lesson Summary

P.S. Here is a really helpful website link on how to use different types of foreshadowing: https://www.novel-writing-help.com/examples-of-foreshadowing.html

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Mystery & Suspense Writing Lesson Summary

Hi! I’ve attached the lesson summary, powerpoint and PDF of Lamb to the Slaughter below. See you all next week!

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Autobiographical & Biographical Writing Lesson Summary

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Historical Writing Lesson Summary

Attachments:
      William
      Participant

William writing history.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi William,

Some nice work  this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Script Writing Lesson Summary 

Attachments:
      Jonathan
      Participant

(A man named Ben passes by them and drops his wallet when Albert and Charlie are waiting at a metro station.)

Albert: Sir, you dropped your wallet.

Ben: (Showing a devilish look) Give it to me!

Albert: I beg your pardon?

Ben: (Shouting with a louder voice) Give it back!

Albert: Well, I will keep it if you continue to speak so unmannerly.

(Ben fails to grab the wallet)

Albert: You’re acting so suspicious. Let me check the wallet first. (Albert finds credit cards with different names on them.)

(Ben punches Albert, grabs the wallet, and escapes.)

Albert: Help! Follow that thief!

Charlie: I will follow him!

(Ben glances over his shoulder and sees Charlie.)

Ben: Aw, snap!

Charlie: (Pounces on B fiercely) I got him!

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jonathan,

Fabulous work this week, I’ve attached your  feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Jonathan
      Participant

Jonathan Lesson 19

(A man named Ben passes by them and drops his wallet when Albert and Charlie are waiting at a metro station.)

Albert: Sir, you dropped your wallet.

Ben: (Showing a devilish look) Give it to me!

Albert: I beg your pardon?

Ben: (Shouting with a louder voice) Give it back!

Albert: Well, I will keep it if you continue to speak so unmannerly.

(Ben fails to grab the wallet)

Albert: You’re acting so suspicious. Let me check the wallet first. (Albert finds credit cards with different names on them.)

(Ben punches Albert, grabs the wallet, and escapes.)

Albert: Help! Follow that thief!

Charlie: I will follow him!

(Ben glances over his shoulder and sees Charlie.)

Ben: Aw, snap!

Charlie: (Pounces on B fiercely) I got him!

Beth
      Participant

Poetry Analysis & Writing Lesson Summary 

Attachments:
      Biru
      Participant

The Candy Man

Once around the corner
      Lived the candy man.
      He’s a jolly old fellow
      That grins whenever he can.

He loves to sell children
      Candy because they are so thin.
      Always making candy
      And putting them into a tin.

Wherever he goes
      The candy man brings joys.
      He is like Santa
      giving boys and girls toys.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Biru,

Wonderful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Biru
      Participant

mock

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Biru,

Lovely work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Jonathan
      Participant

Jonathan Mock Test

PART 1:

(Simon is sitting by the window, watching the colourful world outside in a locked room.)

Scene 1

Simon: Why, why everyone else has a colourful world and I’m imprisoned in a gloomy room? Mom said this is the only place I won’t be mocked because of my face, but who cares! Born with an ugly appearance is not my fault! I had enough of this. I must see the wide world!

Scene 2

Simon: (Opened the window and climbed out into a garden) Finally! Every minute of inhaling this fresh air makes me feel free.
      Mara, Simon’s mother: Who’s there? Is that… Simon?!
      Simon: Escaping is not my fault when a mother treats her child like this! I’m still a person even though I’m ugly! THAT IS PREJUDICE!
      Mara: Order is order! Don’t you know you are a beast? No one cares for you and gives you protection, but me!
      Simon: No, this is called house arrest, not protection! You’re taking away my freedom! (Running into a forest with tears)

Scene 3
      Simon: This is what I want! No one pays attention to me, and I can finally breathe and live my own life!

PART 2:

The poem City Jungle is a vivid poem. First of all, the title is interesting. Jungle has a meaning of a place of bewildering complexity. Secondly, the poem personifies objects to give readers a chaotic impression of the city. He used verbs like gargle, snarl, flinch, etc.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jonathan,

Fabulous work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Richelle
      Participant

I only finished two scenes

Richelle
      Participant

Here it is

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Richelle,

Superb work this week, I’ve attached your feedback for both pieces below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Richelle
      Participant

The poem analysis

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Mock Exam Lesson Summary 

Hi! I’ve attached the lesson summary and powerpoint below. See you all in a few weeks!

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Op-Ed Writing Lesson Summary 

Hi! I’ve attached the lesson summary, example op-ed article and powerpoint below. See you all next week!

Attachments:
      William
      Participant

William Homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi William,

Compelling work, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Letter Writing Lesson Summary

Hi! I’ve attached the lesson summary and powerpoint below. See you all next week! 🙂

Attachments:
      William
      Participant

William letter homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi William,

Charming work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Review Writing Lesson Summary

Hi! I’ve attached the lesson summary and powerpoint below. See you all next week! 🙂

Attachments:
      Jonathan
      Participant

Jonathan Lesson 24

A Stinking Fish that Costs 1000 Pounds!

After watching a movie, the time is already 6 p.m. I dragged myself through the streets with an empty stomach, seeking a restaurant. I scanned everywhere, but there’s only one dilapidated restaurant called ‘Pizza Restaurant’. I braced myself to walk in, but who knows that it will be my nightmare.

The ‘Pizza Restaurant’ is at the end of the street. I already saw the broken windows far away. The restaurant is vacant, and I can barely see anything because all of the lights went off. Using the flickering light of a candle, I see flies and spiders everywhere as if they were customers. The stinky and fishy smell filled the entire restaurant.

Just when I wanted to leave, a waiter came. I found it rude to leave, so I sat down again in embarrassment. Without speaking, the waiter hurled a piece of wrinkled paper onto the table. I read the only line shapelessly written on the paper: “Fish, £1000”.

“Is this the only dish?” I asked. The waiter nodded in a careless attitude. I didn’t want to expose the fact that I’m poor, so I summoned up my courage and ordered one.

About 3 hours later, the waiter came with the fish. Yes, you heard it right, I didn’t eat until 9 p.m. And what did I get? The plate is just a piece of rotten wood, and right in the middle of the plate, there is a goldfish.

The goldfish is dry, skinny, and covered with mud, spreading the stinking smell in the restaurant. The waiter looked disgusted, too, and hastened away. After that, I hurried out of the restaurant. One reason is I don’t have a thousand pounds, and another reason is I will never eat a stinking goldfish.

I hurried back home and ate some instant noodles. I never felt instant noodles are so appetizing.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jonathan,

Amazing work this week,  I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Biru
      Participant

Review

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Biru,

Fantastic  work, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Biru
      Participant

Mock

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Biru,

Fabulous work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Jonathan
      Participant

Jonathan Mock Test

Part 1

If you ask me what my favourite book is, it must be Echo. Echo has the magic to engage you, and you will never get bored reading it because it has an interesting storyline and plot. Echo’s unique storyline is a new way of narrating. There are three main stories and characters. They are all different, but their lives were connected. The plot is fabulous too. The plot reflects on real-life issues, not only an empty story. The unique storyline and plot makes you think with depth, not only reading for joy.

Part 2

Do you know who makes 270 billion metric tons of ice melt every year? Us. Do you know who raze 7,500 square kilometres of the Amazon Rainforest every year? Us. The environment is the most important issue today. We should be throwing all of our resources at it.

If you search for ‘polar bear climate change’, you will see polar bears that were all skin and bones. Climate change. We are familiar with this topic, but have we pay close attention to it? Imagine if you are a polar bear, you are losing your home, because all of the ice melted.

If there is not even a drop of clean water and a bit of fresh air on this earth, then whatever you do will be pointless. Protecting our planet is way more important than spending time looking at your phone.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jonathan,

Stupendous work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Mock Exam Lesson Summary

Attachments:
      Richelle
      Participant

This is a little late because my computer was going loony

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Richelle,

Charming work on your mock exam, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Shakespeare Lesson Summary

Attachments:
      Biru
      Participant

Sizzle, sizzle tongue of a weasel;
      Cauldron smoke and fire fizzle.
      Evil I;
      Human pie.
      Gutter slime and lizard head;
      Serpent teeth and hand of lead.
      Tail of a slog and beak of a crow;
      Make the curse grow and grow.
      A spell for murder and endless death;
      The victims end without a breath.

Biru, homework

Beth
        Participant

Hi Biru,

Gorgeous work on this poem!

Here is your feedback, sorry that it’s late; I completely missed this post until this morning. See you next week

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Dickens Lesson Summary

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Fitzgerald Lesson Summary

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Austen Lesson Summary

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Writer’s Workshop Lesson Summary

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Hemingway Lesson Summary 

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Zusak Lesson Summary 

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Rowling Lesson Summary 

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Christie Lesson Summary 

Attachments:
      Jonathan
      Participant

Jonathan Lesson 34

The excitement struck me.
      “The husband took the earnings the woman had made to gamble. He lost all of the money. That explains why he drinks so much,” said Poirot.
      While I was thinking, Poirot opened the anonymous letter he had received.
      I saw that wrinkled and scribbled letter. It was written in haste.
      “I saw an unfamiliar man recently. He was walking on the street,” Poirot read, “I noticed that he frequently looked into the tobacco and newspaper shop with his threatening eyes. It looked like he was demanding someone to do something. He must be one of the gamblers.”
      Well, it seemed to be complex now. There were some mixed motives.
      “My speculation is, the strange man wanted the husband to kill the wife. But why?” I asked.
      “It must be connected with the gambling because that is how they met,” Poirot muttered thoughtfully.
      “Well, I guess it is time to arrest the suspects and investigate,” I said. “There must be explanations to this. The woman was killed. Someone ended her life. There was no second chance to live. Why would anyone do that?”
      “Well, a drunk man needs no reason to become a psycho,” Poirot replied with his calm voice.
      I see. Murderers have different thought patterns. We only know that they murder people, but sometimes, it is no simple explanation, and we might never understand.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jonathan,

Super work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Mock Exam Lesson Summary 

Attachments:
      Biru
      Participant

Rolling or zusak
      It was getting closer… and yes home…home sweet home…… snowflakes licked my lips as I dragged myself across the frozen lake… I could already make out the dim glow of the hearth through the frost windows…yes…nearly home… I wheezed, clutching tighter the bloody gash that I got from fighting with werewolves. My vision got blurry, and I tripped… I fell face forward into the snowbank. The harsh blizzard still tugged at my jacket trying to carry me away… With trammeling arms, I forced myself to sit up and started crawling to the dime glow. I didn’t know how long I took, I just remembered pushing myself forward slowly through the fog getting closer to the glow. As I crawled closer the light got brighter… and brighter, until I was looking up at the familiar roof of my cottage.  It took my last remaining strength to pry open the door and stumble inside… Immediately, everything brightened, warmth started to slowly trickle into my fingertips, then my whole body… My eyes started to haze and my breathing started to tremble… the last thing that I remember was the front door closing behind me and I went limp….

Beth
        Participant

Hi Biru,

Fab work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Jonathan
      Participant

Jonathan Mock Exam

(I am writing in the style of Agatha Christie.)

In the dim light, Ellis was packing his documents, ready to return home.
      Suddenly, Ellis heard heavy footsteps from the corridor, then saw a blurry shadow appear and leave. Then the tinkling sound of keys.
      Who is that, and what is he doing at night-time in an office? Ellis wondered. He soon got the answer.
      He opened the door and walked into the corridor. He was right. A man with a full face mask. With a knife.
      “Do not move!” It was the thief first to speak. His knife was shining in the dark conspicuously. The thief had a menacing but surprised look on his face.
      The thief ran away, carrying a stack of paper.
      Ellis immediately dialled the police.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jonathan,

Fantastic work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      William
      Participant

William Mock

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi William,

Fab work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Writing Challenge 1 

Attachments:
      Jonathan
      Participant

Jonathan Lesson 36

Hi Danny,

Last week, I saw some older kids telling Halloween ghost stories to you. Since then, you act strangely and come to school with dark circles under your eyes. Stop exaggerating the story with your imagination! The kids just wanted to see your fear. Ghosts will not appear around your house!

Halloween is a holiday about ghosts. No one is terrified by Halloween. Instead, they enjoy the decorations and costumes about ghosts! I enjoy Halloween, you enjoy Halloween, and everyone enjoys Halloween! Last time, you were scared of the Halloween houses but ended up being joyful and ate all the candies you got!

So, do not mind about the malicious rumors; the bullies don’t understand the spirit of ghosts and Halloween; ghosts are not always that horrible! Watch some movies like Young Frankenstein and laugh out loud!

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jonathan,

Super work, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Writing Challenge 2

Attachments:
      Jonathan
      Participant

Jonathan Lesson 37

Josh, the son of a soldier, carried his father’s job. No one knows that an accident would happen: a bullet hit his arm.

He woke up in an unfamiliar place, on a temporary folding bed. His uniform was dyed with the color of blood; his arm was covered with bandages. The booming sound of bombs and bullets is still raging, like a psychopath screaming in his ears. The only sound he could make was a painful moan.

On the other hand, Josh started to recognize himself as a real soldier. He recalled the movie War Horse and the character Albert Narracott. Josh felt like the injury is demonized. He thought recovering is easy, but he was wrong. Sicknesses show up slowly.

Unknowingly, the demon of injury and pain is seizing Josh by his throat.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jonathan,

Apologies for the delay in feedback!

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Writing Challenge 3

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Writing Challenge 4

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

PPT:

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Writing Challenge 5

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Writing Challenge 6

Hi! I’ve attached the lesson summary and powerpoint below. See you all in a couple of weeks! 🙂

Attachments:
      Jonathan
      Participant

Jonathan Lesson 41

Dear sir/madam,
      Fireworks take part in cultural celebrations. Even though they have their importance, they are still dangerous, still injure people, and still pollute. According to a report, an estimated 19,500 fires started by fireworks were reported to local US fire departments in 2018, causing five deaths, 46 injuries, and $105 million in direct property damage. We should restrict the use of fireworks and create policies immediately. Fireworks do not worth people injuring themselves and harming the environment.

Primarily, we need to manage and restrict fireworks instead of banning fireworks completely. But how? We should make everyone who produces or sets off a firework be registered. This action guarantees the quality of fireworks and one’s ability to set off fireworks. Even if there is an accident, like a fire, this policy still avoids the fire being a dumpster fire.

However, the pollution problem is still not solved. So, the second policy is to restrict the firework consumption for each person. This policy greatly decreases the total number of pollution and helps to improve the environment.

In conclusion, fireworks are harming people and the environment. Due to potential danger, we must take immediate action to provide safety and a healthy environment. Despite the fact that cultural celebrations need fireworks, we should still restrict fireworks.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jonathan,

Brilliant work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Writing Challenge 7

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Writing Challenge 8

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Writing Challenge 9

Attachments:
      Jonathan
      Participant

Jonathan Lesson 44

“Graffiti-when done skillfully-is a wonderful art style that brightens a city like nothing else.”

Graffiti is a modern art form that connects deeply with us. It infiltrates a city with its warmth and brightness. It makes us closer because all of us can appreciate it. Graffiti brightens everyone’s day.

Graffiti is creativity. It is the cozy wind on a beach; it is the lollipop in your childhood; it is the snowman in winter. Every piece of graffiti is unique.

Some people might wonder, what if some don’t like it? Graffiti can’t satisfy everyone, but you can try to enjoy it. Appreciate the art with your heart.

Graffiti may not be a perfect solution, but it does brighten a city. When you are tired, find graffitis, and hop into the world of imagination.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jonathan,

Lovely work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Biru
      Participant

3. After the innovation of space exploration came true-we-humans has tried to get furred and furder. But there is no money tree. Space exploration had already been proven to be to expensive to its cause. Every rocket cause millions and millions of dollars and they are only usable for I time.  Even Elon Musk’s Falcon rockets crashed tens of times before they are able to perform to be reusable rockets. The ISS or international space station was made by 54 rocket lunches and it cause billions of dollars every year. And to it’s massive cause the discoveries that it brought us now is far less than a single mars rover.  I Know the act of humans wanting to get furder and furder; to explore space life; to journey out of the galaxy. But those great leaps will not be able to succeed in a few decades, why do not we first know our backyard the ocean than exploring space whit a limited chance to succeed. We now even know more about mars than our own ocean, why take a risk to make rover causing millions of dollars than taking a ride in a sub to go to the challenger’s point at the depth of the Mariana trench. Maybe The answers of our question for extra torrential beings and the universe is not above us but belong us in the depth of the oceans.

Biru
      Participant

After the innovation of space exploration came true-we-humans have tried to get furred and furder. But there is no money tree. Space exploration had already been proven to be too expensive to its cause. Every rocket cause millions and millions of dollars and they are only usable for I time.  Even Elon Musk’s Falcon rockets crashed tens of times before they are able to perform to be reusable rockets. The ISS or international space station was made by 54 rocket lunches and it cause billions of dollars every year. And to it’s massive cause the discoveries that it brought us now is far less than a single mars rover.  I Know the act of humans wanting to get furder and furder; to explore space life; to journey out of the galaxy. But those great leaps will not be able to succeed in a few decades, why do not we first know our backyard the ocean than exploring space whit a limited chance to succeed. We now even know more about mars than our own ocean, why take a risk to make rover causing millions of dollars than taking a ride in a sub to go to the challenger’s point at the depth of the Mariana trench. Maybe The answers of our question for extra torrential beings and the universe is not above us but belong us in the depth of the oceans.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Biru,

Excellent work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Jonathan
      Participant

Writing challenge 1

I woke up to the smell of burning. It was a burning wooden house. No one cared about it because it was empty. No one cared about it because it was on such a small, desolated island, unlike places like Australia.
      Fortunately, I was only sailing on a ship. The flames screamed for days and nights; the calmness before riot; nature’s warning for humans. Quietly and wildly, animals and plants are killed by this murderer.

WWW: Description
      EBI: Have a more complete ending
      4/10

Writing challenge 2

The hardest thing about being a parent is there is no instruction manual. Parents need to cope with their children for many years in their life. Every child is different, so parents do not have a definite instruction manual.
      The process of metamorphosis is difficult for children and parents, and if they do not communicate well, they will have endless arguments.
      Even though this is obvious, some people still say it is not that hard without instructions. This statement is untrue. Parents face tons of family conflicts and life decisions every day. We should be more kind to parents instead of negating their effort.
      How to communicate with children? How to educate children? How to help children establish a positive outlook on life? Only for parents to figure it out by themselves…

WWW: Well structured
      EBI: Include better points to persuade
      7/10

Beth
        Participant

Hi Jonathan,

Apologies for the late feedback on your mock!

Beautiful work, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Writing Challenge 10: Mock

Hi! I’ve attached the lesson summary and powerpoint below. See you all soon! 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Short Story Writing 1

Attachments:
      Kiki
      Participant

A stranger with a black gown was fuddling with the password of my door, muttering to himself with a undertone, what a fun thing to look at, my trap finally working right. He succeeded, the door opened and he stepped in.
      “Marribell greet our guest!”
      i smiled, I felt my teeth rusting without the polish of blood; My lip drying without the fondle of blood; my body aging without human blood, blood from my opposite sex.
      I sang like the beautiful little birds of spring, the lyrics of the warm waves grazing the shore.
      “Oh, servant, who is the master of your house?” I heard the man ask.
      I started singing with more sorrow and pain like an injured damsel in distress waiting for a prince’s rescue.
      “Oh, my master is Diana green, sir.” Marribell said. I would love to drink the blood from that filthy old thing, if she is not the only one to serve me.
      “Who is singing?” The man ask.
      “It must be my master, sir.”
      “Bring me to her.” The man said.
      “‘Kay, sir. “
      I heard footsteps on my staircase, I quickly turned to the window like a lady and continue singing my song.
      The door open. The door closed.
      I finished my song as if I didn’t notice his arrival. I turned as gracefully as I can, and revealed my most coquettish sight.
      Pretending to be astonished, I said:”who are you?”
      Slightly red in the cheek the man was in good shape, his eyes is the best of colors: blue, his arms are 37.5 inches long. It made me drool covetously. The blood swirling in his veins, wasted in his human body were planned to be for me.He answered slightly ambushed:” I am Aron bluer, I mistakenly heard you singing, it was wonderful. Like the equinox flower growing on the cliff on spring, the owl in a night before war.”
      “Oh, thanks,” I blushed the best I could, why would any normal man like an equinox flower? But this made his blood even more delicious,” I am just playing.” I tossed my hair, letting my blonde hair fly behind my back.
      “Do you wan to have dinner with me?” I welcomed.
      “If you would.”
      So we sat on the table, he liked things that are creepy, so let me make some creepy things.
      I took out the leftover dinner last night, and asked politely:” will you deign to taste my meal?”
      “Oh yes, sure I will love to eat your meal!” He blushed.
      I putted down the food: owl head, equinox flower bat soup, spicy black rose, and mixed blood.
      “They look so delicious, you know the ones who were scared of these things, coward they are!”he screamed with interest.
      “Yes, they lost the chance to taste the best of quisines,” i said fullheartedly

Beth
        Participant

Hi Kiki,

Spectacular work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Leon
      Participant

Hi, Beth,

Attached is Leon’s homework, pls check

thans a lot.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Leon,

Exciting work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Biru
      Participant

Home work please see.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Biru,

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Short Story Writing 2

Attachments:
      Leon
      Participant

Hi, Beth,

Attached is Leon’s homework, pls check

Have a nice day!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Leon,

Exciting  work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Play Writing 1

Attachments:
      Leon
      Participant

Hi, Beth,

Attached is Leon’s homework for less 3, pls check

Have a nice day!

Leon

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Leon,

Fabulous work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Kiki
      Participant

Drama play writing
      Script
      Setting:kavelino restaurant
      Blue: I heard he was a genius at economics.
      Sima: bizarre still, I heard.
      Blue: our boss praised him highly.
      Nora: do you think we can persuade him to sign this concept.
      Sima(sarcastically):or even harken a few words?
      Nora:we’ve chosen one of the best restaurant in England! He will sign it if he’s a sensible man. Just look at it’s price!
      Blue(with a rush):Shh, look, he’s here, be quiet.
      (They straightened his black suit with white under it, and sat straight.)
      Kendra(he wore a pink dress with white laces, a a pearl necklace hanging before his neck. A formal black suit and pants were wore over the dress, he was conspicuous over the furniture and the other 3 man. He wore a green glasses too small on his big round face, writing barbie on it’s edge. He wore high heel shoes, which is the color of red mixed with pink. A cat wearing the same attire as his zigzags among his legs, however this didn’t seem to slow his pace nor affect his mood. He he walked slowly to the door and stopped. Looking down at her cat):
      Do you think this restaurant is good enough, Nora?
      Nora(with a hurried smile): oh, oh, sure, it’s one of he best…
      Kendra(cutting in with an impatient): Nora disagrees, let’s go to McDonald’s.
      (Blue, sima, Nora exchanged a surprised glance, waiting for one to speak up.)
      Nora(with an unsure tone): I said it is good enough sir, it is one of the best, sir…
      Kendra(shooting his head):no,no,no, no,no,no.
      (Kendra stepped outside the door, leaving the 3 man no choice but to follow. They walked pass streets with the possibly best cuisines into a squalid area, there written in yellow letter unpainted for a long time:McDonald’s.)
      Kendra(smile):nice.
      (They walked into the restaurant, an young woman walked to there table)
      Young woman(with a wide smile):what do you wan’t sir.
      Kendra(as if reciting): 5 salmon hamburgers.
      (The young woman left. Then brought the 5 sandwiches.Kendra divided the sandwiches on the dirty table without any cloth. And hugged his cat on the table, and gave him the fifth sandwich.)
      Kendra: how the sandwich, Nora?
      Nora(started):good, sir. You know that the concept …
      Kendra(stroking the kitten): Nora said it’s good, right?
      (Nora stared at blue with surprise, it’s not you, blue mouthed.)
      Kendra(finally looking at Nora, with anger):oops, I nearly forgotten your presence. I am Kendra, and why did you let me to McDonald’s again. Aren’t we planning to eat in one of the best restaurants in Britain!
      Sima:you insists on coming here.
      (Kendra fuddled with his sandwich, putting the cabbage leave to the top and the bread into the middle)
      Kendra(with no interest)ooo, did I? Did I Nora?
      Kendra(looking at his cat): Nora said no, you lairs!
      (He continued on eating his sandwich.)
      Blue(in an undertone):he’s trying to distract us and stop us from telling him about the contract!
      Sima(with anger): that old filthy thing!
      Nora(cleared his throat)
      Nora: mr. Kendra I have something to say. I am Nora wiltston of blutticream company of blutticreams. I am here to ask you to sign a contract.
      Kendra(amused): what contract?
      (Nora putted the contract in front of Kendra )
      Kendra(amuses, looking down at his cat): amusing, should I sign it Nora?
      Kendra:Nora says no, by the way, I finished my hamburger, no need to stay longer, by guys.
      (Kendra left, with his dresses flying in the air.)

Setting: the blutticream company of blutticreams
      Nora:sorry
      Sima: so sorry
      Blue:so very sorry
      Boss(he was sitting in a high chair reading a book about economics. He was thin as if he had not eaten anything in 3 weeks, he wore a formal black suit with red glasses. He raised an eyebrow front the book): he didn’t sign it?
      Nora:he did not
      Sima: he didn’t even bother to harken a few words!
      Blue:he even changed an restaurant.
      Boss(with appreciation):Kendra is smart, intelligent, a genius! He got away from signing our contract by pretending to be mad. He is so wonderful, hilarious, I wish he would one day be in our company.he used the cat as a tool to show that he’s mad. Hilarious, what a genius, he’s Einstein in our days!
      Sima(obediently): boss, I thought he’s mad, but after what you say I think he’s a genius.
      Blue(obediently):genius
      Nora(fake heartedly):genius
      Boss: I admire him like the stars admiring the moon, like the clouds admiring the sun. Should’ve known better the letting you idiots go deal with that Kendra ! A bunch of rats dealing with Zeus! Now go to work!

Beth
        Participant

Hi Kiki,

Some great work this week, I’ve attached  your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Biru
      Participant

Script

Scene: In a dark and gloomy alleyway two man stands under a flickering streetlamp

Coalson: where is the next target?

Snake: 62 Watson street, a tall guy with a flattop.

After engaged of few words, the two-man dress in dark rain cloaks scurried away I different directions.

Scene; in police office.

Officer 1: I do not understand.

Officer 1: Third death this week.

Officer 2: this time a tall guy with a flattop.

Officer1 : there has to be a place in common.

Officer 2: Yeah, no one will cereal kill with no reason…

Bang! Bang! Bang! (knock on door)

Officer3 runs in holding a stack of paper.

Officer3: the fourth victim appeared.

Together gasp of 1,2 officer.

Officer 1: is I he same way?

Officer #: No, this time is strangling to death, air pipes crushed.

Scene: in ally way.

Snake: eliminated?

Coalson: of course.

Snake: then who will be the 5 lucky guy.

Coalson: I presume lucky is not the right word.

Suddenly and car lamp flashed, two man faded into the shadows.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Biru,

Good work, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Play Writing 2

Attachments:
      Leon
      Participant

Hi, Beth,

Attached is Leon’s homework for less 4, pls check

Have a nice day!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Leon,

Terrific work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Journalistic Writing 1

Attachments:
      Leon
      Participant

Hi, Beth,

Attached is Leon’s homework for less 5, pls check

Thanks!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Leon,

Superb work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below.

It would be good if you read your feedback before class on Thursday as there’s some important information there that will help you with the lesson.

See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Journalistic Writing 2

Hi! I’ve attached the lesson summary, newspaper templates and powerpoint below. See you all soon! 🙂

Attachments:
      Leon
      Participant

<p style=”padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 10px; outline: 0px; box-sizing: border-box; transition-property: background-color, border-color, color, opacity; transition-timing-function: linear; transition-duration: 0.15s; overflow-wrap: break-word; border: 0px; font-family: ‘Gotham A’, ‘Gotham B’, ‘Helvetica Neue’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; vertical-align: baseline; caret-color: #333333; color: #333333;”>Hi, Beth,</p>
      <p style=”padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 10px; outline: 0px; box-sizing: border-box; transition-property: background-color, border-color, color, opacity; transition-timing-function: linear; transition-duration: 0.15s; overflow-wrap: break-word; border: 0px; font-family: ‘Gotham A’, ‘Gotham B’, ‘Helvetica Neue’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; vertical-align: baseline; caret-color: #333333; color: #333333;”>Attached is Leon’s homework for less 6, pls check</p>
      <p style=”padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 10px; outline: 0px; box-sizing: border-box; transition-property: background-color, border-color, color, opacity; transition-timing-function: linear; transition-duration: 0.15s; overflow-wrap: break-word; border: 0px; font-family: ‘Gotham A’, ‘Gotham B’, ‘Helvetica Neue’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; vertical-align: baseline; caret-color: #333333; color: #333333;”>Thanks!</p>

Attachments:
      Leon
      Participant

Hi, Beth,

Attached is Leon’s homework for less 6, pls check

Thanks!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Leon,

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Speech Writing 1

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Speech Writing 2

Attachments:
      Leon
      Participant

Hi, Beth,

Attached is Leon’s homework , pls check

Thanks a lot!

Leon

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Leon,
        Good work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Writer’s Workshop Summary 

Attachments:
      Leon
      Participant

Hi, Beth,

pls find the attachment for Leon’s homework , pls check

Thanks a lot!

Leon

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Leon,

Attachments:
      Richelle
      Participant

Mock exam

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Richelle,
        Beautiful work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Richelle
      Participant

The homework from last week because I forgot

I decided to take the short story that I wrote one time in class, revise it, and use it as the prologue for a novelette that I’m thinking of writing

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Forms and Mediums Mock Summary 

Attachments:
      Leon
      Participant

Hello, Beth,

Pls find the attachment for my homework.

Leon

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Leon,
        Lovely work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Writing Elements 1

In today’s lesson we began our new course on the elements of writing, thinking in this class about character development. We began with a discussion of what character development entailed, debating whether characters act as the motor or most important element of a story. We spoke about static vs. dynamic characters and analysed characters from literature in reference to this dichotomy, discussing why an author may choose to have a static character and what message that may achieve. We also touched upon elements of character creation such as motivation, want, internal and external conflict and thought about how these elements sometimes conflict with one another. Finally, the class dug into character creation of their own, thinking about the psychology of their characters and how an understanding of a character’s past can help facilitate a deeper analytical reading of their role in a story. Everyone debated and discussed exceptionally well today and I was really impressed by the variety and depth of knowledge on display. Really fantastic, imaginative and compelling work everyone- well done and I’ll see you next week! 🙂

Video on character development: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqKxLx3As28&feature=emb_logo

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Leon
      Participant

hi Beth,

Pls find Leon’s homework for lesson 1.

thanks

Leon

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Leon,
        Powerful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Writing Elements 2

In today’s lesson we completed our work on plot development, thinking about the different ways in which we can think about, inspire and workshop story arcs and plot points. We spoke about several different approaches to plot in writing, beginning with discussing the notion of the plot pyramid (Freytag’s pyramid) and whether it is structurally necessary to writing, then moving on to thinking about the seven archetypes of plot and finishing with an exercise involving working with inciting incidents, characters and classic story-lines in order to create fresh and exciting plotlines. We touched on the role and importance of the inciting incident and both students articulated their thoughts beautifully throughout the lesson, discussing and debating some complex ideas around plot development with fantastic maturity. Really excellent work today and brilliant creativity in thinking of multiple different iterations of plot and story arcs- well done everyone and I’ll see you next week 🙂

Homework

Homeowrk

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Here are the writing exercises to use to inspire the homework:

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Writing Elements 3

In today’s class we explored the element of setting, thinking of many different perspectives and ways of categorising setting- from the geographical to the locational to the cultural. We began by discussing what role setting plays in a story, before moving on to thinking about the ways in which a chaarcter’s relationship with their setting mirrors real life conditioning by one’s environment. We looked at two famous examples of setting from Harper Lee and Zadie Smith, considering the ways in which they had utilised place and time to reflect the tone of their novels. The class completed a research task on setting which they did fantastically- diving deep into settings to place a story against and researching the place/time/space or culture in the way professional authors do. Finally we spoke about advanced setting techniques- i.e., setting as character, setting as metaphor- workshopping various ideas on how to develop a character’s environment in order to reify events for the reader. Excellent work today class- you were all highly focused and produced some great work. Keep it up and I’ll see you next week 🙂

Setting video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORKI1h1xWLM&feature=emb_logo

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Leon
      Participant

Hi Beth,

pls find the attachment for my homework for lesson 2.

Have a nice day!

Leon

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Leon,
        Terrific work, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Writing Elements 4

In today’s lesson we touched on the huge topics of form and structure, thinking about different and experimental ways in which to treat these two elements. We began with an analysis of structure, digging into different approaches to structure and thinking about the macro (beat -> scene -> act etc.) and the micro (paragraph form etc.) aspects of using structural features. The students completed a writing exercise which they then used to analyse their own use of structure, comparing this with a model GCSE answer. We touched on the notion of story beats and the way of using a three part beat structure to keep the story moving (goal, but, therefore). We then moved onto form, considering ideas such as the unity of form and concept, illustrating this through thinking about poetry and experimental forms of fiction i.e., telling a story through newspaper clippings or social media posts. Lastly we spoke about different forms of creative writing (i.e., epistolary novels) and how to create the unexpected, making sure things are not what they appear to be in order to keep the reader gripped. The students came up with their own experimental ideas for thinking about form and structure, which should be used to help them in their homework. Great work from everyone today- our lesson was super content heavy and they all focused and engaged throughout, using structure and form skilfully to think about their own writing. Well done class- see you next week 🙂

GCSE structure analysis video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QctUYm-H408

Anatomy of a scene video (watch for further clarification of the idea of three part story beats): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT5xXBiBTpo&feature=emb_logo

Experimental form video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFpiPH1nF0M&feature=emb_logo

Homework

Homeowrk

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Writing Elements 5 

Today we built on our work from last week and dove into the topic of narration, considering different elements of the craft such as perspective, point of view and narrative voice. We began with an in depth analysis and discussion of the way in which perspective can be used, thinking about the limitations and benefits of 1st, 2nd and 3rd person. We then moved on to a writing task where the students were encouraged to test this themselves through responding to a prompt from a variety of perspectives and then analysing the result. In the second half of the lesson we thought about different narrative techniques, such as multi-character narration and unreliable narrators, to unpick some unusual and fun ways to tell a story. The class learnt about examples of unusual narration and used this to inspire their own takes on this, coming up with fascinating points of view to write from. Everyone engaged beautifully today & I was particularly impressed with their writing task which they all completed with fantastic flair. Excellent work class, well done & I’ll see you next week 🙂

Video on unusual POV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G-G80OORLk&feature=emb_logo

Remember to revise a little for our mini vocab test next week. I will post the list of words below !

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Vocab list:

Attachments:
      Leon
      Participant

hello Beth,

I came back from summer camp and finished my homework just now.

Thank you

Leon

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Leon! I am so sorry I only just saw this homework now! I will mark it today and get it back to you as soon as possible 🙂

Beth
        Participant

Hi Leon,
        Sorry again about the late feedback!
        Brilliant work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Writing Elements 6

In today’s lesson we consider symbolism and theme, thinking about how the two concepts intertwine and working on analysing the students’ use of both symbols and theme in their work. We began with a vocab test which the students performed well on, before moving on to considering the difference between universal and non-universal symbols and how to establish symbolism through repetition and the exploration of a character’s emotional state. The class then created their own symbols beautifully, thinking about the kinds of stories to weave around them in order to match the symbol’s meaning. We moved on to thinking about theme discussing different ways of communicating theme and how this relates to symbolism. Finally we discussed the notion of a symbolic landscape, using examples from literature. Everyone worked well today & thought carefully about how to set up these elements in their writing. Good work class, see you next week 🙂

Symbolism video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H2rxjFsbE4

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Writing Elements 7 

In today’s class we considered our seventh element of the course: conflict and tension. We began by dissecting the six main types of conflict, before discussing the phrase ‘fiction is friction’ to help us understand the role of conflict in a piece of writing. We then considered eight different ways of creating conflict, focusing on the three main types (internal, interpersonal and societal) before Leon wrote a great piece of writing outlining an everyday occurance in the character’s life. We then injected different types or flavours of conflict into the story- some internal, some external- analysing how this effected the trajectory of the character’s arc. We spoke about the three kinds of death a character can face, thinking about how to raise the stakes of a story, and touched on the notion of how to build consequence for decisions the character makes in order to make the tension feel relevant and important. Finally, we thought about how to put a character in a position where they must confront and sometimes fail to uphold their values and beliefs. Leon worked beautifully today, writing some captivating and compelling pieces of narrative and grasping the key concepts around conflict and tension fantastically. His use of the three-deaths paradigm was brilliant and he was able to cultivate well-written and believable chains of cause and consequence. Well done Leon- see you next week! 🙂

Conflict video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuiJPr2YgA0

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Writing Elements 8

In today’s class we focused on the element of dialogue, considering how to link a character’s voice and disposition to their speech patterns. We began by discussing common pitfalls in writing dialogue (which the class did an outstanding job of outlining) before moving on to thinking about viewing dialogue through the lens of screenplay and scripts. We developed characters who spoke in totally unique ways, which the students used to uncover ideas around subtext and how to utilise it. They also worked backwards from dialogue to develop character- using passages from classic literature to do so and to uncover the hidden motivations and subtext of their speech. Finally we spoke about character voice and developed our understanding of how to use dialect and idiosyncratic speech effectively. Everyone worked brilliantly today, I was really impressed by their depth of understanding and all the work they completed. Excellent work class- keep it up and I’ll see you next lesson 🙂

Video on dialogue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48yflVkJY9A&feature=emb_logo

Video on character voice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIWQCvZqkNw&feature=emb_logo

Website on dialogue writing tips: https://blog.reedsy.com/guide/how-to-write-dialogue/

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Choose between either of these passages to continue for homework:

Leon
      Participant

Hello, Beth,

Pls find the attachment for Leon’s homework.

Thanks a lot

Leon

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Leon,
        Nice work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Writing Elements 9

In today’s class we completed a lesson on inspiration- thinking about approaches to overcoming writers’ block. We began with discussing personal approaches to writing, thinking about the kinds of places the students find inspiration and how this configures with genre, style etc. We then moved on to thinking back to the eight elements we have worked on discussing how these could be used as a building block for overcoming problems in writing, before thinking about how to use authors and extracts from texts the students enjoy to inspire new ways of thinking about writing. The students completed pieces of creative writing inspired by elements of texts they chose, before working with writing exercises that they curated to match their individual challenges in writing. This lesson was all about the students taking ownership of their writing and workshopping ways in which they could tease out any problems and consider their work from different perspectives. Good work today class- have a look at the writing exercises below and think about which cater most closely to your style, preferred genre, and challenges & have fun with them. See you next week for our mock! 🙂

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Writing Elements 10

In today’s class we completed our mini mock exam which the students can use to track their progress over the past few courses. We began with our vocab challenge and by watching a video that spoke about how to use the promise of a punchline in story-telling to give a story meaning and purpose. Leon then completed his mock- which he did in a focused and hardworking manner. We finished with a self-evaluation, which can be compared with my feedback which I will give out over the next week or so. Well done for the past ten weeks class- you have all written some fantastic pieces and demonstrated an impressive quality of original thought. Your progress has been brilliant to watch unfold and I have really enjoyed working with each and every one of you. See you soon 🙂

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Leon
      Participant

Hello Beth,

Pls find the attachment for my mock test.

Have a nice day!

Leon

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Leon,
        Brilliant work on your mock, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Argumentative 1

In today’s class we began our new course on essay writing skills, beginning with argumentative writing. We thought about the seven block approach to argumentative writing, using this as a framework to discuss what is needed in this type of writing. The students then completed a creative task imagining themselves either defending or prosecuting a character accused of doing something wrong, coming up with argumentative speeches that built off the seven steps. Finally we conducted a flash debate- which we will be doing regularly to sharpen the class’s argumentative and rebuttal skills- which the students did fantastically with, presenting compelling arguments on both sides that dealt with a range of different types of evidence and argument. Excellent work from the class this week- next week we will move on to thinking about applying these skills to the essay form. Amazing and inventive work today everyone- well done 🙂

Video on the seven blocks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmKGMOFON0g&feature=emb_logo

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Argumentative 2

In today’s class we completed our work on argumentative essay writing, using the theory learnt in last week’s lesson and putting it into practice through crafting and writing argumentative essays. We began with an analysis of the essay structure of this essay type, thinking about introductions and why they are so important- with the class then writing their own fantastic introductions on the subject of eating meat and the environment. We then learnt about the difference between the Toulmin and Rogerian argument structure, which the class then practiced. We touched on different types and styles of argumentative writing, thinking about how to develop an argument and then find examples rather than vice versa, and finally we read some example arguments from famous journalists and analysed them according to the Toulmin/ Rogerian split. The class worked brilliantly today, coming up with some high-quality and tightly focused argumentative writing and responding to feedback beautifully. Well done everyone- keep up the great work. The Covid article is attached below. See you next week 🙂

Argumentative essay website we used today: https://www.scribbr.com/academic-essay/argumentative-essay/

The pro-meat article we read: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/sep/01/eating-meat-planet-george-monbiot-regenerative-grazing

The anti-meat article we read: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/08/save-planet-meat-dairy-livestock-food-free-range-steak

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Narrative 1

In today’s class we began our study of narrative essays, thinking about the similarities and differences marking narrative essays and creative writing. We began by brainstorming the ideas of what is involved in this style of writing, considering the idea of making the personal universal which the students then applied to their own essay plans. We spoke about universal themes and why they matter in narrative essays, discussing the ways in which these themes bind the reader to the author. We read an example of a narrative essay by Joan Didion, considering her writing style’s mix of formal, figurative and conversational language and thinking about the arc of her experiences. Finally the students considered what universal themes that Didion explores they have experienced in their own lives at some point. Excellent work from everyone today- really impressive ideas about the ways in which narrative essays relay personal anecdotes and fantastic understanding of the thematic content of Didion’s work. Well done everyone- I will see you in a few weeks & have a lovely rest of the week! 🙂

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Narrative 2

In today’s class we concluded our work on narrative essays, using a list of important lessons to learn in order to sketch out the framework for the students’ own narrative essays. We focused on ideas such as the withholding of information, the importance of emphasising detail, and the crucial impact of a first line. The students used these to plan a skeleton essay based on a formative moment in their lives that spoke to wider themes. We then looked at the famous work of James Baldwin, considering the opening passage of his Notes of a Native Son and comparing it to the Joan Didion essays we had covered so far. Finally the students thought about three different types of narrative essay, and came up with ideas to write on for all three. Good work today class- you assimilated a lot of information today and were able to apply it really well. Keep up the fab work and I’ll see you next week- well done 🙂

The full Baldwin essay to read: http://www2.csudh.edu/ccauthen/570f15/baldwin.pdf

Baldwin video that we watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKku0AfTs0c&feature=emb_logo

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Persuasive 1

In today’s class we began our work on persuasive essay writing, approaching this essay type from a fresh angle that deals with audience and argument. We began with an exercise on audience, getting the students to think of topics and imagine the best and toughest crowd for their opinions on this topic and how this would change their argument, before considering the idea you should assume the toughest audience possible unless otherwise told. We then moved on to thinking about thesis statements and how to make them specific, unique and tailored, with the class writing some fantastic speed thesis statements in response to five prompts. Then then used these to design a campaign for three different audiences, considering how even the medium of communication may change and having to unpick whether to use pathos ethos or logos more for each example. Finally the class wrote part of an essay on this topic, using everything we had learnt today to come up with creative and compelling arguments and making specific and finely tuned points to their target audience. Amazing work from everyone today, I was really impressed by the strength of their writing and discussion skills. Keep up the fab work everyone and see you next week 🙂

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Persuasive 2

In today’s class we completed our work on persuasive writing, this time focusing on research skills and methods, argument skills and how to recognise and avoid logical fallacies. We began with thinking about research and how the class have gone about it in the past, learning some key skills to help them research in an effective way. We then spoke about different types of sources and evidence and how they can be used, moving on to discussing the concept of logical fallacies and what they entail, The class then spent the rest of the lesson preparing for a debate on the subject of the Fermi Paradox, using their independent research skills and their argument-building skills to develop strong debate propositions and oppositions. We conduced the debate, which they did fantastically with, arguing in teams for their side and using lots of interesting forms of argument in order to do so. Well done class, focused and sophisticated work today. Keep up the great work 🙂

Fermi paradox: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

Logical fallacies examples: https://thebestschools.org/magazine/15-logical-fallacies-know/

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Descriptive 1

In today’s lesson we began our work on descriptive essay writing, working on the idea of how it acts as the literary equivalent to a still life drawing. We spoke about what defines descriptive essays- how they are literary non-fiction pieces and how their purpose can range from informative to political to just writing for writing’s sake. We looked at examples of two different types of descriptive essay and the class used these as a template to plan their own. We then moved on to learning about George Orwell, a famous descriptive essayist, reading his famous 1930s essay A Hanging, discussing its purpose and how it would be different as an argumentative piece. The class then planned their own descriptive essay pieces, using a seven step guide to aid them, before sharing some great ideas with the rest of the class. Fab work from the class today- they wrote some particularly excellent vocab sentences today and came up with lots of different ideas for different forms of descriptive essay writing. Well done everyone, see you next week 🙂

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Descriptive 2

In today’s class we finished our work on descriptive essay writing- with the class spending today brainstorming, planning, writing and then peer-reviewing each others’ descriptive work. We began by thinking about literary non-fiction, dissecting what makes a work ‘literary’ and talking about the drama of language, stylistic choice and literary techniques. We then moved on to brainstorming ideas for moments, people or places that had moved the class- thinking about how to put this through the ‘film lens’ of descriptive essay writing. We touched on structure and the class then wrote their pieces. Finally, they peer-reviewed each others’ work- working in pairs to evaluate their pieces and give each other advice as to the kinds of language and ideas they could include in their piece. They then shared on this process and shared some excellently written and beautifully evocative pieces- thinking about the ways in which their partner had helped them revise and improve their work. Amazing work from the class today- I was really impressed by the strength of their ideas and the way in which they worked together. Great job everyone- see you next week 🙂

Descriptive essay writing video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljHlEMJnEsE

Homework

Homeowrk

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Expository 1

In today’s class we studied our final essay type of the course: expository essays. We discussed what they were, looking at five key examples of expository essays and the class wrote some fantastic essay prompts based on each category. We thought about how it differs from argumentative essays, talking about the academic application of expository essays, and the class read some examples. We then moved on to thinking about the Socratic method and how it can help our understanding of what this essay type accomplishes, before conducting some revision on the essay types we’ve studied in this course. Finally we looked at college essays for university applications in the future, spoke about essay form and structure and thought about creative non-fiction as a genre. The class worked really well today and spoke fantastically about their thoughts on college essays and how they function within the essay types we have studied. Great work everyone, well done and see you next week for our mock! 🙂

College essay examples: https://www.collegeessayguy.com/blog/college-essay-examples#Why%20behavioral%20economic

How to write creative non-fiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q85nRfiHdV8

Socratic method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNDYUlxNIAA&t=44s

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Essay Mock

In today’s class we completed our mock exam which the students can use to track their progress over the past few courses. We began with a Q and A for any questions the students had and then the class wrote two essays today in two different styles- choosing from a range of the five essay types and then taking forty minutes to plan, craft and write each one according to everything we’ve learnt over the past ten weeks. They worked diligently today, displaying excellent focus during their exam, and I look forward to reading their mocks! Well done class & congratulations on finishing this course of lessons- keep up the fantastic work and I’ll see you soon 🙂

Homework

Homewrok

Vocab

vocab

Attachments:
        Kiki
        Participant

The importance of courage.

Though the many traits in humanity, I believe courage is the most important trait to have. Courage distinguishes us from the community and impels us to change our lives.

First, courage can help one be different and eclipse from a community. Being the same is easy but being different takes courage. Courage is what helps you ignore the criticism, the rumor, and the skeptics. Courage is a high wall, protecting you from the rain of arrows. It is an umbrella, protecting you from the pouring water; allowing you to seek your dream.

You might argue that only having courage is not enough. However, we are not discussing whether one can live with courage alone, but we are discussing why courage is the most important. This doesn’t mean that this person ought not to have any other traits.

lastly, courage is the main trait that impels one to do something. Whether you do something nicely or badly, you don’t know before you try. Courage is the door to the fantasy, your fantasy; waiting to be unveiled. Without courage you can never throw open that door; Without courage, you will always be stucked in a cage. Because you don’t even dare to try the door. In the book ‘educated’, the author and main character secedes from the shackles of religion but chose freedom over it. She drew up in the oppression of religion, the bad threats, and the criticism, but she still dared to tore away from it. Isn’t this an evince of courage?

Courage is what impels us to change our lives, and what help distinguish us from our community. We should value courage, build courage, and use courage to push our lives to the climax.

Thank you.

How to be an artist

I loved art museums outside China. There was one outside my sister’s los angelos apartment, and that’s where I spent my day. I sketch the sculptures and the paintings, the decorations and even the picture frames. I loved sitting on the soft, warm sofa, holding the small pencil and doodling on my page.

In France, the art was promoted into a whole new level. The beautiful warm sun (very comfortable for me but likely a pot of fire for others) of France, embraced me through the transparent glass, shining rainbows. The art figures some waterlily, a replica of my favorite artist—Claude Monet. I can almost feel Monet’s Garden, the white bridge, green foliage, and pure white lily. Shining with pink, red, blue, green…… capturing the colors of nature in one huge drawing. Despite its beauty no one decided (or dared) to sit on the couch I’m sitting, instead, they huddled around the cafeteria. I found the bridge amusing, so I decided to draw it on my notebook. Though I like painting for fun, I never kept those notebooks for long. Most are only sed once or twice. Because the second time I looked at any piece of my ‘artwork ‘I turned out to be extremely unsatisfied. Those pages were either torn out, or I decided to change a new notebook.

An old man sat beside me; I was quite amused. I carefully rouse my eyes to peek at what he’s doing, unlike most adults he wasn’t holding a phone, he was drawing. And I can’t help saying its good. The lilies he drew seemed so real as if it is just carried from the Monet’s Garden to his paper. the next page was an angel, so beautiful and delicate as if it decided to nestle here from heaven. I can’t help but stare.

Seeing me staring at his drawing he looked at me, smiling. I pretended to focus on my artwork and moved to the far side of the couch, not showing my ‘artwork’ to him.

“You are young but rather talented, “he spoke. I stared.

“Look at what I did when I was younger, “he told me, flipping to the first pages of his overfilled notebook. Perfectly drawn squares, portraits, sculptures, and even a very amusing painting frame. Emm…… is this supposed to be……bad??? But I didn’t say it out loud.

“You shouldn’t be ashamed of what you’ve drawn, “he told me. I don’t feel ashamed but still……I don’t want to show it to him.

The rest of the afternoon he was teaching me how to draw, and when my friends finally went out of the cafeteria, I said goodbye to that old man.

“He could’ve been Claude Monet,” one of my friends suggested.

I can’t help agreeing, his long beard his hair……

I understood that an artist should never be ashamed of their work, any work is art. But more of it, I regret not getting his signature.

Beth
          Participant

Exquisite work Kiki- well done! Your feedback is attached, make sure to read it carefully and you can send me any questions you have here or through the co-ordinator 🙂

Attachments:
      Biru
      Participant

MOCK2

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Excellent work Biru- well done! Your feedback is attached, make sure to read it carefully and you can send me any questions you have here or through the co-ordinator 🙂

Attachments:
      Richelle
      Participant

Mock

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Really impressive Richelle- well done! Your feedback is attached, make sure to read it carefully and you can send me any questions you have here or through the co-ordinator 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lit. 1: Connotation

In today’s class we began our work on connotation and why it is an important concept for literary analysis. We began with a discussion of the class’s mocks from the end of last lesson, before moving onto our vocab exercise. I then introduced the class to the ideas we are studying in this course, from which we discussed and debated the purpose of literary analysis, thinking about it in its creative and critical context. The skillset we worked on today was connotation- the cultural, symbolic meaning of words beyond their denotation, and we learned about different types of connotations (symbolic, consensus, personal, positive/negative) applying this to several exercises where the class practiced analysing and creating particular connotations. We analysed a passage from H. P. Lovecraft- with the class digging into the connotative value of his work fantastically and with great nuance and skill. I was really impressed by their application of connotation to their view of the work in front of them and thought they all did a wonderful job of ‘looking under the bonnet’ of the literature. Finally, we touched on what is meant by ‘language’ in a literary analysis exam (literary techniques, word choice, connotation etc.) before the class were given their homework assignment. Excellent work today everyone- well done for all your hard work and your sophisticated treatment of the literature. It was a pleasure to see you all today and I look forward to next week! 🙂

Here is the connotation video we watched: https://www.khanacademy.org/ela/cc-5th-reading-vocab/x798e47233e450b09:cc-5th-athletes-in-action/x798e47233e450b09:applying-vocabulary-knowledge/v/connotation-reading

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Kiki
      Participant

In the first paragraph it talks about a vision of a peonies. I think the peonies have a connotation which refers to freedom, while the gravel is the boundary. The author refer to the peonies’ buds as snail’s eyes. Snails’ eyes are grown on top of their tentacles, which is very sensitive to the environment. I think this simile is showing us that this character is not used to freedom. Swelling, opening, burst and fall describes the peonies of freedom. Which shows that this character is pessimistic, also it foreshadows the character’s freedom dying. The word dark-reed also have a connotation, it probably have another meaning of blood, disaster or even death. Which contributes to the foreshadowing of her dying freedom. She also referred the blossomed peonies as satin. Satin is a material used to make fancy dresses, and luxuries things. Which could also be a representation of her longing for beauty or luxury.
      In the second paragraph, the author changed the scene into a front garden. The author used symbolism, using peonies as a symbol. Symbolizing freedom. ‘In the one instant before they come apart they are like the peonies in the front garden at mr. Kinnear’s‘. This quote shows that the character lost her freedom, after that day.and the freedom she possess in this scene is fragile and dying, showing that she is going to loose her freedom. The color white is not as luxurious as dark-red satin, which shows that her crave for beauty and luxury is already ‘dead’ or does not exist anymore.

Beth
        Participant

Well done Kiki! 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lit. 2: Imagery 

In today’s lesson we continued our analysis work, focusing today on the concept of imagery and how to draw symbolic meaning from the way it is used in writing. We began by going over the homework, unpicking the imagery within the passage and thinking about creating topic sentences. We moved on to thinking about how to define imagery, thinking about different types of literal and abstract imagery which the class wrote examples of and then analysed and discussed. We analysed a passage from a Tennessee Williams play thinking about the symbolic import of the light and colour imagery used, before we spoke about the structure of a literary analysis introduction and how it should include its thesis statement. The class then wrote example introductions based on unseen passages which they did really well. The homework question paper is attached below. Excellent work today class, well done for all your hard work and focus. Keep up the amazing job and see you next week 🙂

P.S. Remember to read over the guidelines on literary analysis essay writing attached below

Imagery video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX413tALG7Q&t=40s

Homework

Homewor

Attachments:
      Biru
      Participant

Story of an Hour

Attachments:
      Kiki
      Participant

How does the author represent mrs. Mallard’s emotions?
      The story of an hour, talks about mrs. Mallard’s reactions after hearing the news of her husband’s death. In this story, the other characters play a big role in assisting the plot; their emotions add interest to this story. While miss mallard’s reaction to what happened is also quite dramatic, which furthermore, made her heart trouble more true. The news of her husband’s ‘death’ gave mrs, mallard a mingled feeling of grief, happiness, sorrow and joy.
      First, the author used imagery to illustrate miss mallard’s emotion. After her husband’s death, miss mallard locked herself in her room. However, what she saw outside the window is not a scene of terrible grief, instead, it shows new life. This paragraph used natural imagery, describing the different movements of all things; human, animal, plant…… the author used five senses to depict the imagery. The author used taste to describe the breath as “delicious”;used sight to describe the peddler “crying his wares”;used sound to describe someone singing. Those imagery symbolizes hope seeping out of miss mallard’s heart, showing that she took a great step in getting rid of her sorrow.
      Second, the author used miss mallard’s thoughts and her words to show her emotions. After feeling some freedom from looking at the scenery, miss mallard felt a lot better. Miss mallard chants”freedom” under her breath, this causes her to be happy.the author used indirect characterization, describing her facial expressions “The vacant stare and the look of terror that had followed it went from her eyes. They stayed keen and bright”. The author wrote about miss mallard’s reaction to this ‘monstrous joy’. “She opened and spread her arms out to them(years that belong to her absolutely) in welcome”. Showing her excitement to the new life, however, she still love her husband. Because the author used indirect characterization, talking about her thoughts:”she knew that she would wept again when she saw the kind, tender hands folded in death; the face that had never looked save with love upon her, fixed and gray and dead.”her facial expression”Like a goddess of victory” also shows her happiness.
      Third, the action of the other characters showed mrs. Mallard’s emotion using negative description. When the fake news first came, they thought that mrs. Mallard will be very sad, also she is ‘afflicted with a heart trouble’; so they were extra cautious. This cautiousness shows that in normal times, miss mallard really loved mr. Mallard; so they think mrs. Mallard will be overwhelmed with sadness. Afterwards, her sister thought she’s going to make herself ill because of her husband’s death. After her husband came home, Richard also made an effort on not letting her see her husband. Even though mrs. Mallard wasn’t overwhelmed with sadness beforetime, when she saw her husband she dies from joy. Therefore, the other character’s actions showed that she really loved her husband.
      To wrap it up, the author used imagery, miss mallard’s actions and the other characters’ actions to represent miss mallard’s emotions.

Beth
        Participant

Excellent work! 🙂

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

I forgot to put your marks on your papers Kiki! Here they are 🙂

Attachments:
      Biru
      Participant

Final Version

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Wonderful work 🙂

Attachments:
      Richelle
      Participant

HW

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for  Lit. 3: Theme

In today’s class we studied the third part of our literary analysis course, thinking today about theme. We began by speaking about the homework passage, analysing the wider thematic currents under the text and thinking about how to strengthen arguments based around these kinds of observations. We then moved on to thinking about how to extract deep meaning from the text, asking what it tells us about the human condition, using a system of questioning to get to the core meaning. We considered what theme was and how to use a scientific approach to proving a thesis through interpretation and argument. The class then applied this to a GCSE passage, pulling out the deeper themes of the text beautifully and considering how this would shape the points they made about the language and structure of the passage. Finally, we touched on structure and concluded our thoughts on how theme should be the driving force behind literary analysis essays. Really excellent work from the class today- they came up with such imaginative and strong ideas throughout. Very impressive engagement guys, really well done and I’ll see you next week 🙂

Video on deeper meaning in literature: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREopphW5Bw

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lit. 4: Structure

In today’s class we completed the fourth part of our literary analysis course, focusing on structure. We began with our discussion of the homework, before moving on to thinking about how to define structure in writing. We spoke about macro vs. micro structure and considered the key question ‘why is the author showing me this now?’. We watched a video outlining several key types of structure in writing (circular narrative, character introduction, focus shifts, withheld information) and then applied this knowledge to analysing a passage from a Graham Greene novel. The class analysed this passage well- picking up on foreshadowing, punctuation, openings and temporal references. We read through a model answer to the question and finally the students wrote their own passages utilising interesting structural devices which they did excellently. Well done class, structure is a difficult one to get your head round and you all made fantastic progress in our lesson today towards this end. Keep up the great work- remember to revise for our mock next week and I’ll see you all then 🙂

P.S. The list of structural elements is on Slide 9, the homework passage is on Slide 12

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Biru
      Participant

The last night

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Really well done on this mock Biru- I am impressed! 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lit. 5: Mock Exam

In today’s class we completed our mock exam, beginning the lesson with vocab and a discussion of the homework. We went over structural features thinking about how to apply things such as focus, shift and perspective to the homework extract which the class then did fantastically. We revised the key elements of literary analysis essay writing and the class then completed their 40 minute mock (the question paper is attached below). Well done everyone- I will get those exams back to you within the next week and remember to look over your feedback. See you next week for argumentative essay writing! Congratulations on completing your mock 🙂

Structure video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp80ZUvnCiY&t=2s

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      shell
      Participant

(I am not sure if this is the right place to upload)

Last Night: the enhancing of the fear in the last night.

How would you feel when you are one of the jews that is waiting to be tormented? In Sebastian Faulks’s Last Night, the passage conveys a tense and oppressive atmosphere where jews are spending their one last night without tortures of the Nazis. Kids described by Faulk are mostly sleeping, spending their one last night in a dream full of peace and love, while adults were described as “slumped against wall.” The author was trying to bring up the fears of the jews before the departure towards the “hell” by using imagery, connotations and tone.

Adults are decadent and despair, wakened in their last night talking or being anxious. The adults’ actions are the way people usually see when watching disaster films, they are scared and suffering from anxiety. “Talking in lowered voice,” are what the author described the adults are. People often talk in lowered voice when they are uneasy with the situation and feeling insecure or just wanting to keep the volume down. In this situation described, the adults are feeling uncomfortable and uncertain about the departure to the concentration camp, while trying to not disturb the children in lovely dream.

As a huge contrast with the adults’ actions, the author used “somehow” to describe the children being asleep. The description of asleep children that aren’t uneasy with the departure indicates that the author thinks children are innocent in the war. “André was lying on the straw, the soft bloom of his cheek laid, uncaring, in the dung” (Faulk, 2). In this sentence, the blossom on Andre’s face perhaps represents the innocent jewish children and the dung is the horrible war that the “uncaring”children are stirred in with no reason. The children were sleeping in the deepest moments, while the adults are clear that the bus will depart after they ate the breakfast. The author is creating two exceeding positions of the children and adults—the children are enjoying their every last moment at their dreams before the departure, and the adults are worrying and feared on the last night. The two extreme positions of the people create a huge contrast of how they react to the thorny situation. The children’s sweet dreams symbolize how the author thinks that children shouldn’t be mixed with the war and should be playing in peacefulness.

The departure of the bus wasn’t described like a terrible and irreversible tragedy where every struggle seems useless, but the depart was described by Faulk more like a renounce that people aren’t hoping to escape or survive. The tone was plain and simple with no intentional descriptions, just like how people stopped mindless floundering and accept the truth. In line 40, the woman was trying to engrave her child’s appearance in her mind. People stopped struggling with the departure, and they realize that all they can do is to remember their families and friends. The memory may be a motivation to survive or a spiritual support at the trough.

The fear of the adults at first is obvious where they are anxious and awake, while the children prefer to “avoid” the problem by drifting into sleep. At the departure, the atmosphere of the text is dim and depressed. The children and the adults are in two worlds at the last night, one is heavenly and the other is hellish. The contrast between the children and the adults’ actions reinforce how children are innocent in the war and how people are pathetic and feeble.

Beth
        Participant

Excellent Shell- well done! 🙂

Attachments:
      Richelle
      Participant

Mock exam thing

Richelle
      Participant

Mock exam hting

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Fantastic work Richelle- well done! 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Arg. 1: Argument

In today’s class we began our sessions on argumentative essay writing, thinking today about the philosophic parametres of debate. We began with our vocab and discussion of last week’s mock before moving on to thinking about the birth of argument in Ancient Greece. The class researched thinkers such as Plato and Aristotle, linking this back to what it tells us about argument and how to build it. We discussed how to unpick a question, defining and analysing key terms, and thought about our debate question from today about social media’s impact on sociability. We spoke about some of the key skills needed in this type of writing, before the class conducted a debate drawing on research presented to them from the documentary The Social Dilemma. The class presented some good arguments, using interesting points, strong evidence and a clear sense of their own personal view. Well done today everyone- we will keep honing these argument and debate skills over the next few weeks and I look foward to seeing you soon! 🙂

Social Dilemma clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEOm7u8Cysg&t=7s

Aristotle persuasion video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2dEuMFR8kw&t=142s

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      William
      Participant

William mock essam

William
      Participant

here:

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi William- are you sure this is the right document? Remember, the mock exam was the paper attached to the mock exam lesson summary, the literary analysis on the passage called The Last Night & the question was ‘How does the writer try to bring out feelings of fear in The Last Night?’ Just have a check for me! 🙂

William
      Participant

homework

William
      Participant

this one:

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Wonderful work William- well done! 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Arg. 2: Research

In today’s class we continued our work on argumentative writing, thinking today about research and how it can aid the process of building an argument. We focused on the philosophical question ‘is violence ever the answer’, with the class excellently sketching out the ideas they foresaw as being on either side of the debate and thinking deeply about the definition of violence. We spoke about the importance of retaining both the theoretical side of the debate, looking at philosopher Hannah Arendt’s famous definition of violence, whilst also gathering evidence from history (i.e., the Civil War and the Civil Rights movement) to help build an image of the debate. We then learned research skills, thinking about the step-by-step process of conducting research and considering the acronym CARS designed to ensure research is credible, accurate, reasonable and supported. I showed the class some opinions on both sides of the debate and they then conducted some fantastic independent research of their own, coming back together to present this at the end of the class. I was so impressed by Kiki and William’s work today- particularly their conceptual grasp of the importance of defining violence which they both did in fascinating and sophisticated ways. They were creative and engaged throughout our lesson and came up with incredibly intelligent and interesting ideas- really excellent work guys, it was a pleasure discussing these big issues with you today and seeing you fit these into the structure of an argumentative essay. Well done 🙂

CARS checklist: https://www.nhcc.edu/academics/library/doing-library-research/cars-checklist

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      William
      Participant

homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Oustanding work William- you should be very proud of this essay. Well done! 🙂

Attachments:
      Kiki
      Participant

Is violence ever the answer?
      I believe that violence is never the answer, as violence is something that starts with the yearn for power, and always result in physical and emotional damage. These damage often can’t be recovered, and could lead to more severe damages.
      First, violence leads to endless violence. power is a weighter, and the two sides is the amount of power one possesses. Violence causes power to be unbalanced, as violence is always too overboard. Violence is either powered by implacable hatred or strong desire, both of them are too strong, the winning side of violence will always want to hurt the other side as much as they can. Which make one side too strong and the other too week, the week side wanted to revenge so there is another war……once violence starts there will always be another violence. In the First World War, Germany crave for power but was defeated. They are obliged to sign the trity of Versailles, which oppress Germany is every way; in debt with many countries, currency inflation……it is nearly impossible to survive, which arouse hatred in many residents. This is the reason why Nazi started and was very supported. Violence always lead to endless violence, which will eventually lead humanity into self-destruction. Therefore, violence is never the answer.
      You might say that violence actually solve some problems, like after the civil war there are no longer slaves. But actually, violence is a poison. Humanity is a pot of water, when it faces a problem its boiling. When we put poison inside the pot, it only distracts them from the current problem. But did the original problem cease to exist? No. After civil war, discrimination and racism still exists. Nothing changed. only the fact that humans are more poisoned by violence.
      Third, The only way to solve the problem is to change how people think, not to use violence to force a community to act several way. If one’s mindset don’t change then they will still do the same thing if the force of violence is reduced. The slave owners of the civil war will gladly accept slaves again if the slaves lessen their violence against slave owners. If we only think about changing how people think then there must be endless violence protect the world’s peace. However, if we all think some way, then violence is not needed anymore.
      To sum it up, violence is never the answer because violence never solve the problems and lead to endless violence. The only way to solve problems is to change how people think, therefore, we should put down the weapons and change our mindset. Though it is a hard and slow process, it’s the only effective way to solve our problems.

Beth
        Participant

Really excellent work Kiki- I am super impressed by your essay writing! Well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

I am so impressed by both of these essays William and Kiki- you should both be really proud of these. Well done and keep up the amazing work!

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Arg. 3: Writing Technique

In today’s class we focused on our third skill in argumentative writing: style and technique. We began with vocab and homework discussion before thinking about our topic for today, hate speech, tolerance in society and fake news. We considered the definitional parametres of the question before beginning to delve into the type of writing appropriate for this style of question. We spoke about the power of figurative and authoritative language, thinking about ways to make language flow. We touched on an exercise that involved thesis statement and ‘sandwiching’, two techniques that will greatly improve the class’s argumentative technique and help to showcase how to use evidence and rhetoric side-by-side. Finally we conducted our final debate, which the class did really well at thinking about in terms of tolerance, compassion and respecting others. Great work today everyone- really well done 🙂

How to make your writing flow video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BiwmpPDCpk

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Arg. 4: Revision

In today’s class we finished our penultimate class on argumentative writing, honing and refining all of the skills we have worked on so far. We discussed the topic of ‘should we be attempting to colonise space’, first defining the terms and thinking about the moral component of the question suggested by the word ‘should’ and the connotations of the words colonisation and attempting. The class then discussed the notion of moral duty and what this pertained to and relating this to our three core skills: argument, research and style. The class came up with some fantastic notes on style, thinking particularly about the concepts of originality, purpose, emotion and imagery. Finally, they prepared speeches that utilised the main tenets of argument writing and presented these to the class. Excellent work today everyone- your use of style was particularly impressive today and it was great to see you all! Remember we have our mini mock next week- I’ll see you all then! 🙂

Some links to help with homework (let me know if you can’t access)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/fredkennedy/2019/12/18/to-colonize-or-not-to-colonize–that-is-the-question-for-all-of-us/

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      William
      Participant

Homework

Attachments:
      William
      Participant

Improved one

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Brilliant work William- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Kiki
      Participant

Can peer pressure be a good thing?
      Peer pressure is negatively colored by most people, it is believed to cause problems for adolescents. But peer pressure have a hidden bright side, it is proved to help children enormously in their academic lives and their future social life.
      First, peer pressure intrigues people to work hard. Peer pressure occurs, when your peer started working hard and getting better. According to a 2011 study of child development, children tends to be better academically if they study with smarter students. When your peer get a low grade, it gives you an excuse to rationalize your bad grade. Like the phrase we say to our parents” they also did/got xxx, why can’t i?”when I got a 4 on my chinese essay It was a total tsunami, but when I heard that my two best friends also got 4; I felt like a exhausted ship finally finding a haven. We care more about not being the laggard in the community than grades itself. However, when a partial of individuals in the community started to stray further forward, leading the whole community further into the sea. The indolent you will feel jeopardy, which forces you to move forward, If you don’t want to be the laggard.
      Second, it help adolescents prepare for the society. In the society peer pressure is much more advanced and teeming with gunpowder, if you fall behind then you might be eliminated for good. If we learn to revive from resting and laziness and learn that working hard is the forest rule, we can adjust to the competitions in society.
      You may argue that pear pressure causes children anxiety. But it is not so. Anxiety of pear pressure is either caused by the parent’s overpressure or by your own laziness. Peer pressure itself is good, but when parent came, it become a war. Children are sensitive, they already feel the pressure of their peer and are also ready to work hard with the pack. However, parents made them feel they’re useless. One of parent’s tags is” look at xxx, she/he is so great, you’re just a disaster!” This causes children to feel drastic and hate each other. I have a friend and her mother loves saying those tags. And apparently most of those child-hurting tags are centered around me. Once we were sitting in a car together, her mom was exaggerating how good I am. My friend, who has been watching a movie with me slammed her computer shut. Turned her back, and didn’t talk the whole way; her eyes burning with flames of rage. However, we shouldn’t mix concepts, this is parenting pressure not peer pressure. Parents should stop pressuring children, because peer pressure has just done the work needed to impel your child. Adding parenting pressure onto peer pressure is too overboard. The other reason is one’s laziness, refusing to work hard even when the society is accelerating in haste. But if you refuse to work hard, it’s your own problem. you can’t drag the hard-working pupils back, just to make you comfortable.
      Many people has been labeling peer pressure wrongly, the many problems peer pressure cause is either parent’s problem or one’s over-laziness; peer pressure itself can impel people or work hard and help prepare adolescents for society. Peer pressure shows that the world is working hard, this should be encouraged not suppressed. Henceforth, I believe peer pressure can be a good thing.

Beth
        Participant

Thank you for sending this Kiki! I’ll attach your feedback within the next week 🙂

Beth
        Participant

Amazing work Kiki- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Phenomenal work Kiki- well done! Your space essay is attached below 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Arg. 5: Mock Exam

In today’s class we completed our mock exam which the students can use to track their progress over the past few courses. We began by discussing the homework essays before the students were presented with a list of argumentative essay questions. We spoke about the three components of argument to bear in mind and they then had twenty mins to academically research and plan their essay and forty minutes to craft and write it according to everything we’ve learnt over the past ten weeks. The amazing progress each and every student has made over the past ten weeks has been incredible to see- the way every single one of you is now thinking, debating and writing argumentatively is so impressive and it has been a joy to work with you on developing those skills. Really well done for your hard work today and I want you to all know how dazzled I have been with your work on argument and the honing of your essay writing skills. Keep up the perceptive, mature and intelligent work you have all been producing and I’ll see you soon 🙂

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
Viewing 166 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar