B-SUN-1450

Forums Reading Club 7-9 B-SUN-1450

• This topic has 176 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated June 6, 2021 by Beth.
Viewing 95 reply threads
  • Author
      VMWEdu
      Keymaster
      AmyZ
      Participant

Dear Young Mole,

Hello, young mole, I hope you are very, very, well. I also hope that your house is clean. The reason why I wrote this letter is that I want to tell you something serious.

There is a forest beside the river, and the forest has doomed. What I want you to do is that you should never go in there. But first, you will see a water rat. Then you’re also going to see a toad. They are very kind. But, a big but, don’t go to the toad’s cart because later it will crash by a crazy car. Then, at last, you will meet a badger, and then there will be some bad ferrets. Don’t forget to be careful! Over to my side, it is fantastic. If you are so curious, then you can come with the water rat and bring a knife or maybe a rolling pin as a protector.
      Be, really, really careful at night.

Last thing last, don’t be shy and be brave when you meet new animals or rodents.

I hope my letter helps you.

Sincerely,

From your future of you

Beth
        Participant

Hi Amy,

Gorgeous work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 1

In today’s lesson we began our study of The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help plan and write the letters assigned for homework. The powerpoint contains all our work on the themes, core ideas and key messages within the novel, which we discussed as a class in order to get to the heart of what The Wind in the Willows is all about. It also contains all our thoughts on the narrative perspective of the novel, tips on letter writing to help with the homework, our thoughts on the character arc of Mole and the synonyms the class came up with in order to track Mole’ development throughout the story, and the students’ discussion concerning the moral of the story. Today’s class worked well this lesson; they came up with some particularly fantastic examples of high-level vocabulary and were able to use a thesaurus very adeptly in order to find powerful ways of describing characters. They also showcased their inference skills beautifully through the hot-seating exercise, where they acted both as interviewer and interviewee in order to dig within the text and come up with interesting insights into both the characters, the themes and the plot. I was also impressed by the class’s debate over whether the themes and morals or the plot of a story matters more, in which the students offered some really fascinating and thoughtful contributions. Well done everyone, it was great to work with you all today and I hope you enjoyed delving a bit deeper into this novel together. Keep up the fab work and I will see you next week! 😊

Here is the link for the online thesaurus: https://www.thesaurus.com/

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Elizabeth
      Participant

Dear young Mole,

I am writing to you as I’m deeply touched by the danger you’re near. In this letter, you’ll find advice to help you along your way…

Firstly, don’t be a coward and trust your friends. Follow everything rat tells you.

Secondly, DON’T trust the weasels!!! They are untrustworthy prevaricators. Have you met badger? He’s a trusty, dependable fellow.

Thirdly, I hope you are unhurt and content. But please stay alert of foxes and humans.

Finally, have fun and make new friends.

Yours sincerely,

Older self

Beth
        Participant

Hi Elizabeth,

Attachments:
      leyan
      Participant

Dear young mole

How are you? Now I am sitting in the Wild Wood having a cup of tea, I am not shy or frightened anymore so I have to tell you something.

The first important thing is leaving my sweet home it doesn’t mean that I don’t like my home but the outside is really fun and you could make a lots of friends!

Another thing I need tell is If you have any difficulties, you don’t need hide them away or give up easily. Like me, I was getting lost in the snowstorm, hurting my leg and hiding under the trees. My friends were panicking about my disappearance. Luckily they found me and we could continue to our journey.

The last thing I need to tell you is having good time with your friends. They are your precious treasures in your life!

Hope you enjoying your spring house cleaning and remember to go outside to get fresh air and sunshine.

Yours sincerely,

Old Mole

M m

Beth
        Participant

Hi Leyan,

Delightful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Feite
      Participant

Dear younger mole,

I am writing to you because I have something to tell you.  First,  you don’t have to be so afraid in the journey because you will get a lot of help from friends.

Second, listen to Ratty and don’t go to the wild wood. Wild wood is very dangerous and can cause problems to you and your friends.

Third, at beginning you will feel scared but you will soon get use to it.

Last, try to be fearless and adventurous so you can explore more and more.

I hope you’ll be safe and have a good adventure.

Yours sincerely

Older  Mole

Beth
        Participant

Hi Feite,

Nice work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      George
      Participant

Dear Moles younger self,
      <p style=”text-align: left;”>I am writing to you because I have something to tell you.First, do not go to the wild wood only if your friends let you or you need to.Second, do not row until you have learnt how to row and swim.Last, do not go to the Wild Wood [if you need to] at night time or you will have to get a partner.Just to tell you will learn more and more from your adventures.Hope you’ve had a nice day.</p>
      <i>Best Wishes,</i>

<i>Moles older self.</i>

Beth
        Participant

Hi George,

Nice work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 2

In today’s lesson we continued our study of The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help plan and write the paragraphs assigned for homework. The powerpoint contains our work on inference, thinking about how to recreate one of the climatic scenes of the novel, where Toad is on trial for stealing motorcars. It also contains the class’s ideas about argumentative writing, thinking about how to use persuasive techniques and language to act as either the defence or prosecution in Toad’s case. The students conducted a mock trial of Toad beautifully, offering some really compelling arguments both for and against Toad’s imprisonment, using lots of argumentative devices to argue their case. They used their inferences skills fantastically to draw from the text lots of different ideas about Toad’s thoughts, feelings and motivations. We also had a really interesting discussion about the story arc of the novel, thinking about how to characterise the climax of the book, and the students offered some really interesting character analysis of Toad, using a quotation from the book to inform their ideas. The final slide of the powerpoint also has some ideas about Toad as a symbol for the British upper class, and how the author creates a complex narrative of Toad’s growth and development throughout the book. Everybody worked brilliantly in our lesson today, coming up with some amazing original opinions and engaging wholeheartedly with our re-trial of Toad’s case, complete with a fantastic verdict of guilt from the judge. They all exhibited some wonderful debating skills, and were able to use their skills as reading detectives to read between the lines and delve deeper into the world of the novel. Well done guys, keep up the amazing work and I look forward to reading your homework which is due Friday at 3pm. See you next week 😊

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      AmyZ
      Participant

DiD THE TOAD CHANGE?

I think that the toad did NOT change because he still did not stop trying new things. But trying new things can be good. Another example is that he was still careless. He also still was ridiculous. But honestly, he didn’t change after all. The cheerful, chubby, smart toad! Plus, he was also proud of himself of singing the, cheerful, smart, old toad! He didn’t, absolutely didn’t change his awful, hilarious behaviours. But sometimes, toad can be funny. He also still can’t stop himself of riding motorcycles or motor cars. Like when he accidentally crashed some marvellous motorcycles. But honestly, he didn’t change after all. The cheerful, chubby, smart toad!

Beth
        Participant

Hi Amy,

Charming work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      George
      Participant

Hi, please check the attahment!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi George,

Fab work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      George
      Participant

This is my answere as below:

I think the Toad has changed because he has start caring for his friend,start to listen to instructions,start to say kind words,start to now how important friends are,start to now what an ace[devil]he had been,is trying his best to not make sound’s like pooppp and poop-poop,and he is trying his best to not spend his money on expensive stuff but unfortunately he still likes MOTO CARS.But there is still one thing that he hasn’t don differently and it is that he is always singing crazy songs[which is always describing himself.

Elizabeth
      Participant

Did the toad change?

I think that toad did change. I think this as he used to be as petty and as snooty as a spoiled prince, feeling like the most important thing of all times. He used to think he was a God and everyone else mice who live in the sewers. Now he is humble and civilised and donates his belongings! How could you describe him as snooty now? However, he can’t resist calling motorcars marvellous, or singing “the handsome Mr Toad” or “the unstoppable Mr Toad”. Now, he’s still the most hilarious character and crashes magical, marvellous motorcycles.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Elizabeth,

Delightful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Felix
      Participant

Wind in the willows – Lesson 2

Toad has grown in the book because he realises he is a git.

He spends time stealing motorcars and getting sick with them.

He gets too much money and he lies that he is washerwoman.

He gets arrested for stealing motorcar.

He says the police are all nincompoops and idiots.

Even rat thinks he is not very clever.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Felix,

Some great work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Felix
      Participant

Wind in the Willow-lesson1

Dear Younger Mole,

I know you are very scared about the wild wood and the weasels and stoats. They are very scary but you need to be brave like me. If you are not brave with them, stoats and weasels might tell you off and fight . I love being bold because you can do everything without being scared. Yes, I know it is hard but you need to be brave. I wish you could learn how to be brave. Just please don’t shiver in the wild wood. If you do that I will be very very very impressed.I know how brave toad is when the weasel and stoats took over Toad Hall. I wish you could be more brave and go into the wild wood without shivering. I know it is very dangerous in the wild wood but you need to be brave and fearless.

Your sincerely,

Lots of love

From Older Mole

Beth
        Participant

Hi Felix,

Lovely work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Feite
      Participant

Yes, I think Toad changed at the end of the novel.
      In chapter 11 Rat said to Toad why steal a motor car, be a cripple, if you think it’s exciting, be a bankrupt for a change, if you have set your mind on it but why choose to be a convict? When are you going to be sensible, and think of your friends. Toad said I shall Lead a quiet, steady, respectable life, pottering about my property, and improving it and doing a little gardening at times.

Toad use to sometimes steal stuff and be careless to his friends but now he doesn’t do that any more.

In chapter12 Toad sang his last little song. Before he always sang show off songs, but this time he sang a happy song.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Feite,

Some lovely work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      leyan
      Participant

Yes I did think toad grew up in the end of the novel because at the beginning, he sparked lots of fights, for example,  when badger tried to make toad a better person, but toad didn’t listen and when he stole a person’s motor car  and lied to the police which got him in 20 years of jail. I think that toad realised how he was acting during those years and opened his mind. He is quick to pick up and dismiss expensive hobbies, most notably with motor cars. Toad is a dynamic character, and at the end of the novel, he cared for his friends.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Leyan,

Fantastic work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 3

In today’s lesson we concluded our study of The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help plan and write the scenes assigned for homework. The powerpoint contains our work on language analysis, focusing particularly on using word attack strategies to use and define the advanced vocabulary used in the novel. We also discussed the figurative language used in the book, and the class all acted as editors for one of the passages from the novel, adding some amazing literary techniques and up-levelling some of the less descriptive words used. Finally, we had a really good discussion about genre, with the students all coming up with what they thought the genre of Wind in the Willows was and why, then moulding one of the scenes from the novel in order to fit different genre conventions. Everyone worked very well this week, offering some really in depth contributions on the language used in the novel, I really enjoyed hearing all the sentences they came up with using some of Kenneth Grahame’s high-level vocab, and thought that their language analysis of his creation of tension and suspense was really outstanding.  They used and analysed literary techniques such as anthropomorphism beautifully, and used the context of unfamiliar words fantastically to discern their meaning. Well done for all your hard work everyone, keep it up and I will hopefully see you all again soon! 🙂

Homework 

Homework

Attachments:
      Elizabeth
      Participant

Nine years later

Nine years after the rebellion of Toad Hall, I see myself looking into my diary. The visit of the “Wild Wood”which was as fierce as a lion, seemed  many lands away… Now, I ponder on unanswerable questions, would history repeat itself? When the weasels reform would they revenge? My brain has been sure that I should leave a time capsule. Here are the contents below.

Top tips to live in the wild

Firstly, don’t be a coward and make new friends.They are the treasures of your life.

Secondly, DON’T trust the woodland animals except from Badger, Rat and Toad. The Weasels, Squirrels and Rabbits are untrustworthy prevaricators.

Thirdly, make your home in a safe and tranquil place. The last thing you want is a fox hunting you down.

Finally, make trustworthy friends.

There, that should do it!

Beth
        Participant

Hi Elizabeth,

Fabulous work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      George
      Participant

Hi, good afternoon! I have attached the homework.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi George,

Great work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Felix
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please see attached for the homework. Many thanks for your great feedback.

See you on Sunday.

Kind regards,

Felix

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Felix,

Dynamic work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Feite
      Participant

After weeks Toad got found and been captured. This time there was no escaping by himself. There were a lot more guards and they had passwords to go through. Toad was thinking. I’m never going to escape this time. Toad sang a little song called I NEVER GOING TO ESCAPE.

I got captured again but this time it’s to dangerous to escape.

And my friends can’t do it this time.

I’m going to be stuck here forever, I’ll miss you my friends.

Toad’s friends found  out that Toad was captured again. They all shouted OH! NO! They slowly, quietly went to the jail. They found out the jail was too secure. They all said we are never going to rescue Toad. Suddenly Ratty had a plan. Ratty said me and Badger will make a doll like Toad and Mole will dig a tunnel to Toad. Then we will put the doll and get Toad back home. The plan did work and everyone was happy. They went back home.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Feite,

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 1

In today’s lesson we began our study of The Butterfly Lion by Michael Morpurgo The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help plan and write the diary entries assigned for homework. The powerpoint contains our thoughts and ideas two key concepts: the context of the novel and the themes. It also contains some information on the conventions of diary writing, our analysis of a passage from the book about trench warfare, a Horrible Histories video on the First World War, and the students’ ideas of the themes and words they associate with the book. Everyone worked brilliantly today, the class were really engaged and came up with some wonderful emotive speeches from Bertie’s perspective that use sensory language and literary techniques beautifully. I was really impressed by their work summarising the core ideas of the book, and their analysis of the effect of Morpurgo’s language in the trench warfare scene. Really well done everyone, keep up the amazing work and I look forward to reading your diary entries! 😊

Horrible Histories video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEvuMhP2CuA

Homework 

Homework

Attachments:
      George
      Participant

Good afternoon, please check the attachment! Many thanks!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi George,

Very nice work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Isabella
      Participant

Dear Diary,

I feel soooo homesick after receiving a letter from my family. I am disappointed about this boarding school.

A couple of days ago, a boy called Basher Beaumount smeared shoe polish in my hair. Other children in the class laughed at me and I felt really awkward.

I had done badly in a spelling test, and Mr Carter had stood me in the corner with a book on my head. That made me humiliated.

I am fed up of being bullied and getting punished.  I am planning to run away next Sunday when everybody is resting and no-one would notice my disappearing. There will be no more detention or Basher Beaumount.

Oh! It is time for dinner. I will write back soon.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Isabella,

Stunning work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Feite
      Participant

Dear Diary
      Today was the miserable day I ever had. In the morning I received a letter from my mom and that made me want to go home and see her. When I arrived at school Basher Beaumont put shoe polish in my hair and I feel lonely,I wish I had a friend to help me.  I did very badly in a spelling test, so Mr Carter, the teacher made me stand in a corner with a  book on my head. I had to stand there and couldn’t move the whole lesson. I feel so terrible. Mr Carter is always so mean to us and we dislike him.  When school was finished I was think that’s enough! I need to run away.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Feite,

Some fabulous work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      ChristinaY
      Participant

Dear Diary,

I have had a bad day again! You know who it normally is, don’t you? Yes, correct answer, Basher Beaumont! 😢…. I! just got so frustrated with him. Here is some evidence:

Today, I woke up because of Basher who poured a cold, freezing, old cup of icy water from his water bottle. SPLASH! Then, he made a rumour when everyone else had woken up that I had wet my bed! GROAN! Detention again! In class, Basher wasn’t doing good work and he saw I was doing good and in my test, I had nearly reached the maximum result, when the teacher just popped off to get something and Basher quietly swapped worksheets when I wasn’t looking.

At lunch, there were lots of pasta and Baser took the last bit greedily! I was left with the broccoli and carrot stew. Another thing, he pushed! You’d get two hours detention for that! Irvin felt a push and turned sharply and shouted,”who was that?! In a cross snappy way. Basher blamed it on me!

This is what always happens! I’m getting fed up with caning, strokes, semolina and chilblains pudding, and especially BASHER BEAUMONT!!!😒

Better escape first, see you!

Michael Morpurgo

Beth
        Participant

Hi Christina,

Attachments:
      Elizabeth
      Participant

Dear Diary,

Everyday is a misery! It’s war in this place, all we have to eat is scraps! I’ve had enough it’s like we’re as poor as a church mouse. Always, I’ve tried to escape, every time I fail. Somehow, I feel today is a lucky day. This afternoon, I looked up at the wall, ivy was climbing up the gate. I gulped and leaped up onto the wall. My eyes were a treasure locked in a chest. I’d made it! As quick as a flash, I scrambled up the wall. I was free! Suddenly, I heard the gruff voice of Bully Buster… I bolted down the street turned left, right and left again until I was out of breath. My body flooded with relief. “Excuse me,” said an elderly woman’s voice, I turned around, A stout, plump woman with a gentle smile was behind me “This is private property”. She stopped in mid-sentence looking at my wound. “What happened there?” She asked. “Nothing.” I muttered…

Bye for now, it’s getting late, I’ll tell you the full story soon.

Michel

Beth
        Participant

Hi Elizabeth,

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 2

In today’s lesson we continued our study of The Butterfly Lion by Michael Morpurgo. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help plan and write the letters assigned for homework. The powerpoint contains all our work on author intent in this book, thinking about why Michael Morpurgo might have chosen to write the story the way he did, and how we can understand the way he constructed the novel by inferring his authorial choices. We did an hot-seating exercise where the class interviewed another student playing Morpurgo which they all did fantastically, and also watched an interview with the author himself and discussed what surprised us about his influences and inspirations behind the novel. Finally, we spoke about persuasive writing in preparation for the homework, and the class were particularly brilliant in playing a game of fortunately, unfortunately that focused on argument and counter-argument, playing around with the key ideas of the book. They also identified some example of persuasive techniques beautifully, and our ideas on this and also letter writing can be found on the powerpoint. Everyone worked beautifully today, it was a pleasure to teach this class. Well done guys, keep up the fantastic work and I look forward to reading your persuasive letters 😊

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      George
      Participant

Good evening, please check my homework. Many thanks!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi George,

Superb work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Isabella
      Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>                                                                                                                                                     128</p>
      <p style=”text-align: left;”>                                                                                                                                                   Croydon</p>
      <p style=”text-align: left;”>                                                                                                                                                    Sm4 al6</p>
      <p style=”text-align: left;”>                                                                                                                                                  30 April  1925</p>
      <p style=”text-align: left;”>Dear Dad,</p>
      I am writing to exhort you to keep the cute and cuddly lion cub that I found near the waterhole.

The lion cub’s parents were shot by people and he was left alone. It was a heart-breaking moment. Therefore I decided to raise the poor creature.

I’ve made space for him in my room. I have prepared a large box with a blanket.

I promise to walk him outside everyday and try to find a job like delivering newspapers to help our family to raise the unique lion cub.

He might cause a lot of damages but I will train him like you can do with dogs.

You can have the days to decide whether to have the lion or not. Please please consider it as the most important decision in the world. He is the only thing in the whole world that I want.

Yours Sincerely

Bertie

Beth
        Participant

Hi Isabella ,

Incredible work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Elizabeth
      Participant

90 Crossland Street
      Wilthshire
      FL1 4TH

4th July

Dear Father,

I’m writing to beg and coax you into your senses.

Dearest father please let me keep the lion cub besides he has nowhere else to go. Would you really break my heart? You must let me keep him! Although, you say they are too colossal, messy and dangerous I could train him. Once I’ve trained him, he would be as genital as a lamb! He is the apple of my eye. If you separate him and me I would run away. Besides I’ve taught him to bury his faeces when he hears me whistle.

I hope you let me keep him.

Bertie

Beth
        Participant

Hi Elizabeth,

Gorgeous work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon  🙂

Attachments:
      ChristinaY
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please find my homework in the attached file.

Thank you

Christina

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Christina,

Stellar work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Feite
      Participant

Dear Dad

Can we please keep the lion? why don’t you let me keep the lion? It’s the only thing I want.

His fury is so soft and cozy,I could even hug him, imagine how that will feel, like a warm jumper In winter. So, why not?

Look at the lion cub, he is so cute and I could even play with him. We could run, play football and swim in the summer. That would be so fun. Why don’t you want me to have a lion cub?

The lion cub could be my friend. We could eat together, we could go out camping and we could sleep together. Imaging how fun that would be, why not keep it ?

Dad, can we please keep the lion cub? imagine how happy  I would be.

Yours Sincerely

Bertie

Beth
        Participant

Hi Feite,

Beautiful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Felix
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please find attached for Felix’s homework for lesson 1 and lesson 2 of Butterfly lion. Apologies for delay in handing these in. Felux finished them early this week but I forgot to load them. Will try to load on time in future.

Thank you

Kind regards,

Felix’s mum

Felix
      Participant

Sorry. Here are the attachment.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Felix,

No worries about the late submissions!

Gorgeous work over the last two week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      AmyZ
      Participant

Homework 2

Dear father,

Please, pleas, please can I keep the lion?
      Can you just imagine a lonely boy who just got a adorable lion
      and then his father said the that the boy has to set the lion free?
      Just think how lonely I will be.
      The lion can help us when mice and rat comes.
      The lion can also ride us to a lot of place.
      He can also help us to keep enemies away.
      He could also kill an animal and bring us meat so we don’t have hunt.
      Isn’t it just good?
      Please?
      I promise I will clean the house as clean as possible, there won’t even be a bit of crumb or dust.
      Pleas?
      Just imagine how fun it will be to play with a lion.

Love, Bertie.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Amy,

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 3

In today’s lesson we completed our study of The Butterfly Lion by Michael Morpurgo. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help plan and write the stories assigned for homework. The powerpoint contains all our work on analysing a scene from the book and thinking about how to use narrative perspective to reimagine the scene from the lion’s point of view. The students also did some fab work on thinking about what the book had taught them, and what the moral of the story was. I was really impressed with everyone’s work today, particularly their up-levelling of Morpurgo’s writing and their work thinking of interesting adjectives to describe a scene of South African lions. Really well done everyone, you had some fantastic ideas about how to recreate and reimagine Morpurgo’s writing style. I look forward to reading your stories! 🙂

Homework 

Homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Here is the video of the white lions, as requested 🙂

George
      Participant

<i>”All my life I`ll think of you I promise I won’t forget you!” I shouted  as the lion-cub gently </i><b><i>roared a death roar and fell to the ground. This was the last time I saw the lion-cub. When  I got home to my wife Millie, I was cudling my walking stick like it was a cudely toy and couldn’t stop weeping (means sobbing\crying) like a baby. On  the next day I came home and burst into the kitchen a smile on my face. I was so excited that I sat down a mediately and said my idea. This is what I said “you now the horse curved out of chalk in the hillside of  Uffington?” “yes,” she replied “he never died did he?” I asked “no,” she answered “then we’ll do the same but we will have to have some time and we have plenty of time don’t we?” I said with a gleam on my face. So whenever we had time we did a little bit and it took us one whole year to finish it.</i></b>

Beth
        Participant

Hi George,

Some lovely work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Junming
      Participant

Dear Beth,

I loved your lesson this week, especially about the white lions and their habitat. I hope to see you on sunday!

Johnny

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Johnny,

Outstanding work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

P.S. I am so glad you enjoyed our lesson! 🙂

Isabella
      Participant

All my life I’ll think of you, I promise I will. I won’t ever forget you. This is the story between me and my journey to make my best friend Lara.

When I was three years old, my family moved to London. I started reception in Cheam Common Infants school. When I joined the school, I had no friends. I did not know anybody in the class. However, most people already knew each other and had friend circles. Because they spent one year in nursery together. It was very hard for me to make friends and I was feeling very lonely most of the time.

There is a girl called Lara who was older and shorter than me. She had deep brown eyes and short curly hair. She is always cheerful and full of laughs. We both live far away from the school, and often arrive in school early to avoid traffic problem. Gradually we become friends. As I got to know her more, I soon discovered that she was very kind and thoughtful about others. We played races with each other every day. We had so much fun together. I was so happy that I have made a great friend and no longer very lonely.

Towards the end of reception, I had some very bad news. I had to join a different school because we had to move to a new house. I was heartbroken when I learned that I will no longer be able to see and play with Lara anymore.  Also, I was worried that I might not be able to make new friends in the new school. I would be very lonely again.  This made me cherish the time I spent with Lara even more. I try to play with her as much as possible every day.

But eventually, the inevitable happened. I had to move to a new school without any friend. I was again very lonely in the new class. I missed the fun time with Lara. And I would often cry at night when missing her. I often wonder if she would miss me as well.

One day on my way to the local shop, I heard a familiar voice calling my name. When I turned around, it was Lara with her grandma. I could not help myself but running over to her and giving her a big hug. We both cried and laughed so hard at the same time. I am so happy to see her again. I found out that Lara’s grandma lived about 3 minutes away from my house. We could arrange to play with her when she visits her grandma. I felt very relived and up lifted because I did not loss my best friend.

I often think of Lara and she would always be my best friend. I would never forget the time we spent together in reception.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Isabella,

Attachments:
      Felix
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please find attached for my homework. See you tomorrow.

Felix

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Felix,

Splendid work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Elizabeth
      Participant

“ All my life I’ll  think of you, I promise I will. I won’t ever forget you!” Bertie yelled at the top of his voice. His eyes were pools of water. He hugged his lion one last time, overwhelmed with anger and melancholy. He swore he would repay that malevolent poacher that had killed his lion. Soon after , Bertie was a changed person…

Meanwhile, in their humble cottage Millie (his wife) was making a cake for him and his lion. Millie was delighted that Bertie chose to live in South Africa, in a while she was going to meet his lion, at least  she thought she would.

In real life, Bertie stumbled home, rain gently falling ,patting his shoulder he felt like he was trapped in a nightmare, the way out locked!!! Never, never again would he love anything more than his White Prince never!

That night he gazed up at the stars shining their spot lights on us,stars illuminated the night sky, The moon was a sparkly crystal. I saw the lion cub and it’s parents in the starlit sky. At last I knew the lion cub still was a part of me,in my heart.

At the crack of dawn, I shook Millie awake. Explained my idea, it was to make a statue of my precious lion. Firstly, carved it out of wood, it was rather tedious. Secondly, I smeared mud onto the statue , this way I could stop Sam from damaging the wood. Finally, I painted it white. Soon after, me and Millie made more statues and grew a garden of crops and flowers. They were the guardians of the garden, our garden.

Almost every night now, I gaze up at the stars and the lion cub, I wish I could still be with him, at least I’ve still got Millie and the other lion cubs National Park I work in. I shall never forget him. He shall always be my treasure until I breathe my last breath.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Elizabeth,

Emotive work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Feite
      Participant

All my life I will think of you, I promise.  I won’t ever forget you. After the day we separated, I always visited there, even I knew I scarcely had chance to see him.

A few years later I already had a family and a three year old kid. Every time I played with him, he looked exactly the same as the lion cub. On my son’s birthday, I took him to the place always in my memories. We spent an exhausted day by spotting zebras and chasing ostriches. Suddenly there were ominous dark clouds gathering overhead. I was busy packing when a terrifying roar coming behind. It was a lion! I hold my son and the rifle, hiding behind the bushes. A lion, followed by three young cubs, is marching in his kingdom. Unbelievable it’s a white lion! The one appears in my dreams! Even thousands of butterflies in my stomach, I convinced myself to deep breath and calm down. After hide my son in a safer place, I am calling gently of him names. The pace was stoped and one pair of sharp light spotted me through the high grasses. Uncertain for a while, it start moving towards me. Footprints with joy, the face is closing to me. My cute cub, my handsome boy, my big cat, make my dream come true.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Feite,

Fabulous work this week,  I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 1

In today’s lesson we began our study of The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help plan and write the extra scenes assigned for homework. The powerpoint contains our thoughts and ideas on two key concepts: the context of the novel and the main ideas explored within it. It also contains information on Native American people, and our critical analysis of the book’s reliance on some outdated and incorrect stereotypes of Native Americans. The class came up with some fantastic summaries of the book, thinking deeply about which sections were of the greatest importance to them, and also thought very deeply about the idea of Native American culture and how the book could be re-written to avoid some of the stereotypes it relies upon. They came up with some beautiful ideas for what they would put in their own magic cupboard, and also demonstrated an amazing wealth of knowledge about the historical context of the book. Everyone worked brilliantly today, I was super impressed by all the fabulous ideas they shared and thought their energy and enthusiasm was amazing! Really well done everyone, I really look forward to reading your stories about the Nurhaci Emperor’s interactions with Omri, Boone and Little Bear/Bull. I’ve posted some important links below so remember to check those out too. Keep up the fab work! 🙂

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      Junming
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Thank you for your lesson on The Indian in the Cupboard. I loved it! Here is my homework. See you next week!

Thanks,

Johnny.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Johnny,

So glad you enjoyed the lesson!

Imaginative work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Felix
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please see attached for my homework.

Thank you

Felix

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Felix,

Great work this week, I’ve  attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Isabella
      Participant

Omir just had a tough time choosing a Chinese or Japanese figure to bring life in his cupboard. He opened the door to his bedroom. Cluching, a Chinese Emperor in his hand. Little Bull (the first figure he had brought to life) was busy having an argument with Boohoo. Boohoo was a cowboy. The longhouse and the cupboard were still there.

Unsurprisingly, his friend Patrick was there waiting for him. He was there because Patrick knew he was making another figure alive. “Oh! He exclaimed.” “Have you got the figure Omir nodded” He held out his hand to show Patrick. Boohoo and LB stopped fighting and came over to get a closer view of the Chinese person.

He had short black hair with a long nose. And a tiny beard and moustache. He wore a dark red hat with a pocket sized tower on top. His robe was glittering gold with blue sleeves, a tiny belt with a blue circle and some impressive Chinese patterns embroidered on it.

“Are you going to make it alive?” asked LB curiously. “Yes” answered Patrick. Wasting no time, Omir placed the Chinese person in the cupboard. He turned the key in the lock. “Why isn’t it working?” asked Boohoo impatiently. They waited for a whole hour in silence. Omir opened his mouth to speak but his mum had called “Dinner time”. That meant Patrick had to go home. Patrick walked home sorrowfully, Omir ate his dinner miserably and the 2 plastie people went to bed gloomily since the Emperor didn’t come alive.

Omir soon went to bed. But he still listened for a soft tapping sound. But I never. After 30 minutes of waiting Omir drifted to sleep.

Next day, Omir was woken in the early morning. He sprang out of bed, but the next ting he saw was little Bull having a fight with the Chinese emperor! Omir saw the cupboard with a large hole on it. “The person must of out his way through. Omir was petrified. “Well” began the Chinese guy. “I am sure you know my name.” “No” replied Omir. “I am Nuachi, the emperor who rules over Liao Ning.”, said the figure arrogantly and loudly. “You must be my new servant. You are very tall and strong. I like you.” Suddenly there is a knock on the door. Omir’s mother shouted, “Omir, my friends and I are having a party downstairs. Can you please stay in your room quietly?” “OK mum” Omir replied. The emperor looked around and looked amazed as he had never seen computers, lights and pretty much everything around him. But he collected his thought quickly and demanded: “Could you fetch my building plan for me? I’d like to see the progress of my new palace.” Omir refused and try to explain that he is not emperor’s servant. As their argument got louder and louder, Omir’s mother got distracted. She came to Omir’s room and warned Omir to lower the voice. Omir promised not to make any noise to his mother. When turning around, he was astonished by what he saw. The emperor was breaking the window and turning the bed upside down. Omir tried to stopped the emperor, but ended up wrestling with him. This caused a lot of noise. Omir’s mother came upstairs and was shocked by what she saw. Omir was speechless and don’t know how to explain what is happening here.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Isabella,

Stunning work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below.  See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      George
      Participant

Omri was just walking home from school when Patrick (his friend) was suddenly next to him. “Do you want to go to Yapps?” he asked

”Ok,” Omri answered ”What do you want?”

”I heard that it has chines and Spanish people and it mite make friends with Boone and Little Bull like those two have.” replied Patrick

”Good idea Patrick!” Omri cried with a gleam. Of they went. They got there after a few minutes and burst into the shop. Omri was still choosing if he wanted a Chines person or a Spanish person when Patrick warned him that the shop closed at 3 o’clock on Mondays and that Omri had to hurry up. Omri  chose a chines person in a flash and the noticed that it was  the Nuachi Emperor. When Omri got home he ran upstairs into his room put the Emperor into the magic cupboard and locked it. As quick as lightning there where sounds coming from the cupboard. Omri unlocked the cupboard carefully and there was the famous Nachi Emperor…

Beth
        Participant

Hi George,

Nice work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below.  See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Feite
      Participant

A few days later Patrick thought it’s too boring with only Boone and Little bear, he wanted to invite  Nurhaci into the game. Little Bear and Boone asked: ‘who is Nurhaci?’ ‘A powerful Chinese empire king’, answered Patrick. However Omri didn’t like this idea. He worried they might fight with each other and get  hurt or even die. Patrick said: ‘Look how brilliant friends they made! They won’t fight with the empire.’ Omri gave up and said: ‘ok, fine.’

Patrick couldn’t wait to put the Nurhaci in the magic cardboard, so he ran with excitement. After one night waiting, Nurhaci was alive. He didn’t know where he was at first. When he saw a enormous giant, he was terrified, he thought it was a monster, as a result he drew the sword out and stood on a defense position. Omri said: ‘Calm down, clam down.’ Nurhaci asked: ‘who are you and where am I?’ ‘I am Omri, and you are in my house. I will not hurt you. Come, I will introduce you some kind friends.’ So Nurhaci followed Omri. Then he met Little bear and Boone. He felt offended when he saw Boone on the horse with his gun. ‘How dared you to meet a king without bending your knee!’  Nurhaci rode a horse and ran towards Boone grumpily. Then Little bear came to the fight too. Omri and Patrick didn’t know what to do and they were totally in panic. Then  they found out they were very good at riding horse. So Boone said: ‘You are very good at riding.’ Nurhaci answered : ‘Definitely, I am the king of grassland.’ Boone asked: ‘Why don’t we become friends? Then we could ride the horses all the time.’ Nurhaci answered eagerly: ‘why not?’ Then they played games like aiming, fight, riding…….  Shortly they became blood brothers.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Feite,

Wonderful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below.  See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      leyan
      Participant

Sorry for the tardiness of my homework. Here it is.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Leyan,

Wonderful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Elizabeth
      Participant

The Nurhaci Emperor

Omri raced  into the local newsagent’s shop,he seized a Chinese Emperor(Little Bull grunted with amusement ). Quickly,he leaped to the counter,paid for it and ran out the shop scrutinising the figure.It was an proud,pompous emperor shining in its glory.The Emperor had a sword, hazelnut brown eyes,silky black hair ,a shimmering set of armour and was holding a golden sceptre. Omri turned left and rushed down the road. He bumped into a tree! The tree’s branches started dancing and an acorn fell on his head. Still, Omri kept on running like the wind.

Once he reached his room, he rammed into the door and bounced onto his bed. He slammed the Emperor into the cupboard, counted to ten and peeked in. The ferocious Emperor was inside, he was shouting ”I am the Nurhaci emperor, greatest ruler of all times. I am unstoppable.” Omri knew it was a whole lot of codswallop and exaggeration. Suddenly the door creaked open, Omri had forgot to lock the door!!! Gillion was coming!!! Omri hid Little Bull,Boone and the “Unstoppable Emperor”in the cupboard and turned the key…

Beth
        Participant

Hi Elizabeth,

Terrific work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 2

In today’s lesson we continued our study of The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help complete the worksheets assigned for homework. The powerpoint contains our work on genre and plot in the novel, thinking about the purpose of genre and how to discuss the genre of The Indian in the Cupboard, which the class all correctly identified as ‘low fantasy’ or ‘magical realism’. The students then all beautifully rewrote a key scene from the novel in a different genre of their choice, ranging from fable to horror to crime, thinking about what would change and what would remain the same if the genre shifted. We then discussed the story mountain of the book, focusing in particular on the climax of the novel, which the class all gave their opinions on. We spoke about how tension and suspense is created by the author, focusing on a particular scene where the theme of conflict is apparent, and discussed how this could fit into the story arc. Everyone worked really well today, I loved hearing all their creative and fascinating re-imaginings of the novel from different genres and perspectives. Really well done everyone, have fun with the homework, which is attached as a PDF and a word doc below, and I will see you all next week! 🙂

Here is the video we watched on genre: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9MkU7kCA1I

Here is the video of the fight scene from the film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2olbiW9_aA

Homework 

Homework

Attachments:
      Elizabeth
      Participant

Beth
        Participant

Hi Elizabeth,

Attachments:
          Beth
          Participant

Hi Elizabeth,

Sorry, ignore the feedback I just sent you: I made a slight mistake in it. I’ve attached a new version to this reply 😀

Attachments:
      Isabella
      Participant

Hi Beth, please find Isabella’s work attached. thank you.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Isabella,

Attachments:
      Feite
      Participant

My homework

Attachments:
        Feite
        Participant

My homework 1

Attachments:
      Feite
      Participant

My homework 3

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Feite,

Attachments:
      leyan
      Participant

sorry for lateness here is my work

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Leyan,

No worries at all!

Attachments:
      George
      Participant

please check the attechment, many thanks!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi George,

Great work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below.  See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 3

In today’s lesson we concluded our study of The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help complete the paragraphs assigned for homework. The powerpoint contains our work on characterisation, vocab and word choice, which the students all understood brilliantly. The class conducted some fantastic word choice analysis and then applied this to their own work, up-levelling a piece of the novel to reflect their own interpretation. They also then worked on the characterisation of the novel, considering the role of conflict in the book and how the book reflects many unlikely friendships and relationships. Everyone worked really well today, it was fantastic to read their ‘wanted posters’ and they also all completed a mini vocab test with flying colours. Really well done everyone, you have all been fantastic today. Keep up the excellent work and I will see you next week 🙂

Homework 

Homework

Attachments:
      Isabella
      Participant

I think the moral of  Indian in the Cupboard is that friendship is the most important thing in the world. Because in the start of the story Omri and little bull didn’t go well together but later in the book, little bull didn’t want Omir to touch him. But later int he story, little bull began to trust him. When Omri gave little bull everything he needed, little bull began to change. That is why I think the moral to the story is even you don’t like each other, you can still become friends.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Isabella,

Charming work this week,  I’ve attached your feedback below.  See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Elizabeth
      Participant

Indian in the cupboard moral

I think Lynne Reid Banks is trying to tell us that different people with different cultures and traditions CAN be friends. For example, little bear/bull is a Native American and Boone is a cowboy from the Wild West. They were at war with each other. Somehow, they made a strong bond and became friends! This shows that people all around the world CAN be friends. In my opinion, Lynne Reid Banks is also trying to say that we should make the world a better place, not a place with conflict.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Elizabeth,

Superb work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Feite
      Participant

Everyone should be respected and cared equally , no mater how different they are or how different they look.  At first Little Bear always wanted to kill Boone and Boone thought Little Bear was savage and dirty, they didn’t like each other at all. Then Little Bear shot Boone on the chest, but he felt extremely guiltily. After that Omri brought life a World War I Medic and Little Bear carefully treated Bonne injuries. Finally they gradually trusted each other and became blood brothers.
      So don’t judge at first, be open and try to learn the history and culture behind.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Feite,

Great work this week, I’ve attached your feedback  below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      leyan
      Participant

I think the moral of the story is about friendship which is the most important theme in the book. When they met each other at the beginning ,they did not trust each other. Boone thought of Little Bear as a bloodthirsty savage and Little Bear thought of Boone as ignorant and presumptuous. When the two are introduced to a western television, this mistrust into almost mortal violence.
      In the aftermath, however the two were able to reconcile their differences and became closer then brothers.

The friendship between Omri , Little Bear and Boone were amazing as well.  Omri helped little bear get a horse and got bark to make little bear a long house. Omri was kind to Boone when Boone started to cry he said “don’t cry.” Omri sacrificed his social life to spend time with Little Bear and Boone. On the other hand there was a deep friendship between Patrick and Omri and Boone. Omri at the first had conflicts with Patrick about not the turn a plastic figure to life. Omri learned the people are more important than magic so he gave up the magic cupboard in order to keep the toy safe and spend time with his friend Patrick. That was real friendship.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Leyan,

Fantastic work this week,  I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      George
      Participant

Good evening! Please check the attachment which is my homework!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi George,

Nice work  this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 1

In today’s lesson we began our study of Kensuke’s Kingdom by Michael Morpurgo. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help plan and create the book covers assigned for homework. The powerpoint contains our work on immersing ourselves in the world of the novel, thinking about the deep descriptive detail which Morpurgo includes and how the students could emulate that in their own work. They wrote some beautiful descriptive passages, imagining themselves in Michael’s shoes, and also wrote some fantastic unique and original metaphors comparing the sea to unusual objects of their choice. They grasped the idea of avoiding cliché in writing beautifully and I was really impressed by how they were able to create interesting ‘collisions’ through their figurative language. They also completed some comprehension questions wonderfully, thinking about the effect of Morpurgo’s use of literary techniques in great detail, and wrote some emotive messages in a bottle from Michael’s perspective, really thinking about how to use sensory language to conjure up an image in the reader’s mind. Really well done everyone, you all worked fantastically today and I was super impressed with your work! Keep it up and I will see you all again next week 😊

Here is the link to the video we watched about creating unusual metaphors. Watch the last two minutes of it if you get a chance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wrq6AnYuxI

Homework 

Homework

P.S. Remember you can either do your front cover and blurb by hand or on a computer- it is completely up to you! If it is by hand then just take a picture to send in for homework.

Attachments:
      Isabella
      Participant

Hi Beth, please find Isabella’s work attached.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Isabella,

Attachments:
      Feite
      Participant

Here is my homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Feite,

Beautiful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Isabella
      Participant

Blurb:

Michael was on a journey to travel around the world. But the night before his twelfth birthday, he is washed up on an island. With nothing but his dog and a football, how on earth is he suppose to survive?

Beth
        Participant

Hi Isabella,

Your feedback is attached to your post above (the one with your front cover) 🙂

George
      Participant

I am sorry to send my homework later!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi George,

No worries! Lovely work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 2

In today’s lesson we continued our study of Kensuke’s Kingdom by Michael Morpurgo. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help plan and write the letters assigned for homework. The powerpoint contains our work on the characterisation of the novel, considering deeply the surprising friendship that lies at its heart and the nuances of the characters in the book. The class debated this wonderfully, thinking about whether Kensuke and Michael would have become friends in a different situation and noting some of their similarities and differences. We then focused in on Kensuke’s character, thinking about his life story and how we can draw a better understanding of him through learning about events such as the dropping of the atomic bomb. We watched a video about the effect that this event had, and also looked at some real life examples of Japanese soliders hiding out on islands for sixty years after the end of the war, just like Kensuke! Finally, we considered the end of the book, thinking about Kensuke’s decision not to return home and whether we liked the post-script that revealed his family were still alive. Everyone worked beautifully today, I lvoe hearing all their fantastic contributions and thought that they were all really mature in considering sensitive subjects such as the atomic bomb. Really well done everyone, I look forward to your work on stepping into Kenuke’s “shoes”, and hope you have a lovely week! 🙂

Here’s the link about the soldiers hiding in the Philippines: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/may/28/secondworldwar.japan

Here is the video on Hiroshima and Nagasaki: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya3et3mhdWw

Homework 

Homework

Attachments:
      Elizabeth
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please see attachment for last week work. Sorry for late submission. Elizabeth lost it after finishing it.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Elizabeth,

No worries!

Amazing work, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Junming
      Participant

Hi Beth.

How are you? I’m fine. Here is my homework for this week.

Thanks,

Johnny

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Johnny,

I’m good, thank you!

Attachments:
      Isabella
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please find Isabella’s work attached.

thanks

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Isabella,

Wonderful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below.  See you  soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Elizabeth
      Participant

Dear Michiya,

I hope you enjoyed Kensukes Kingdom. It’s about Michael (my best friend) and me. I’m overjoyed you and your mum Kimi survived the bombing in Nagasaki. I still remember the time I held you in my arms.

I will not be coming home as I am too fragile and my old age will not allow it.

It is depressing to hear your mum died (although it was of natural causes). You’ll need to take care of yourself, preferably with your aunt in the Philippines.

I will still keep in touch.

Your father, Kensuke.

P.S.  I’ve sent you a picture of Michael,he gave it to me when we first met. Good luck          Michiya.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Elizabeth,

Stunning work  this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Elizabeth
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please see attached front cover. Somehow, it didn’t attach last time.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Elizabeth,

Sorry, I only just saw this so I haven’t included it in your blurb feedback, but I love this cover! It’s so visually pleasing, and I love the sea stretching away in the distance. Absolutely wonderful, well done!

See you soon 🙂

Feite
      Participant

Dear son,

I am so happy to get your letter. I don’t know you are still alive and I thought you were dead.

This is how I ended up here. We were in a big sea battle. There were a row of plans dropped bombs intensely. Suddenly the fire and black smoke covered the whole warship. Some people got burned, some died and some jumped out of the ship. It was a purgatory on earth. I chose to stay on the ship because I was a doctor and I wanted to look after my patients. However, more planes came dropping bomb and killed everyone except me. The engine was still going however I can do nothing but listen to the radio. I heard one atomic bomb dropped on Nagasaki and I thought you were all dead. After a while there were huge wind, heavy rain and following enormous storms. I thought I was going to die for sure this time but I didn’t. The ship crashed on an island. I moved everything from the ship and also met orange-Utans, who became my friends. I survived by fishing, collecting fruit and making easy tools. Then I met Michael, you already knew the story.

I will plan a trip to visit you soon.

Your father, Kensuke

Beth
        Participant

Hi Feite,

Super work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      George
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please check the attachment which is my homework.

hope you have a lovely weekend!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi George,

Thank you, I hope you have a lovely weekend too!

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 3

In today’s lesson we completed our study of Kensuke’s Kingdom by Michael Morpurgo. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help plan and write the newspaper articles assigned for homework. The powerpoint contains all of our thoughts on treating the novel creatively, which the class absolutely excelled at today! We looked at using our imagination and creativity to re-configure the perspective of the novel, thinking about following Michael’s parents on their search for him, re-writing the first line of the novel whilst also using foreshadowing, and completing a free-writing exercise based on the inspirational prompts of ‘The Great Wave off Kanagawa’ by Hokusai and ‘La Mer’ by Debussy. Everyone worked beautifully today. Using their creativity to play with Morpurgo’s language and themes, and they also analysed a passage from the text through the lens of foreshadowing in a really mature and sophisticated way. I was really impressed by the standard of their writing, and loved hearing all of their creative re-imaginings of certain elements of the novel. They also engaged in a game of “Fortunately, Unfortunately” beautifully, showcasing their argumentative skills. Really well done everyone, gorgeous work today! You’ve been fantastic in our Kensuke’s Kingdom lessons and I look forward to seeing you all soon! 😊

P.S. I’ve attached a couple of newspaper templates below if you would like to use either of them, but you can also make your own on your computer or hand-draw one- it’s completely up to you!

Homework

Homework

Attachments:
      AmyZ
      Participant

Dear Beth:

Please find my homework on my attachment, thank you!

Amy

Elizabeth
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please find my work attached. Thanks

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Elizabeth,

Attachments:
      Isabella
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please find Isabella’s work attached.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Isabella,

Attachments:
      AmyZ
      Participant

Dear Beth:

Sorry I forgot attached my homework at last time.

Amy

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Amy,

Wonderful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Amy,

Wonderful work this week,  I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Feite
      Participant

Lost boy returns home

Yesterday a boy named Michael, who was lost during his family world trip one year ago, was found on an island. Today they went back to Australia so I had a chance to interview them. Micheal looked a bit feeble but excited. He shared his feelings and experiences with us: “Thanks to my family, especially my mom, they never gave up searching for me. This is not a miracle, just faith. After I fell out of the boat the wave pushed me to an island. I survived by collecting fruit, fishing and hiding in a cave until I was found.” His mom accompanied him and said: “We sailed from island to island almost one year. No one would help us, for no one would believe Micheal could still be alive, not a chance in a million. I always believed my son was alive and finally we found him.” That is such unbelievable for an 11 years old boy to survive alone on an island for almost 1 year. They will stay here for one week and continue there world trip. We hope good luck and have fun with them.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Feite,

Lovely  work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      George
      Participant

Good evening, please check the attachment. Many thanks!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi George,

Great work  this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 1

In today’s lesson we began our study of The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help the research assigned for homework. The powerpoint contains our work on the setting and context of the novel, thinking about how Aiken creates an alternate universe in which wolves roam over England and a made-up King is on the throne. We then considered the history behind the novel, focusing on how children were treated in the 1800s and looking at the concept of workhouses and orphanages. We also spoke about the trope of having orphans as the main characters in children’s books to add emotive weight to the stories and also to create an illustration of the harshness of the adult world. Everyone worked beautifully today, I loved hearing their descriptive sentences imagining that they lived in a Victorian workhouse. The class also came up with some wonderful one-sentence summaries of the novel, thinking not only about plot but about the most salient themes and ideas. Really well done everyone- good luck with your research and I look forward to seeing you all next week! 🙂

Homework 

Homework

P.S. Here are some useful links you can use to help you research the 1800s:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zcjxhyc/resources/1

https://www.theschoolrun.com/homework-help/victorian-era

15 facts about the Victorians!

And here is an hour long compilation of Horrible Histories’ Vile Victorians series that includes the sketch we watched about Victorian children in the lesson. This could be super helpful to watch to help your research (and also because it’s fun!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVGaumifWkE

Attachments:
      Isabella
      Participant

Hi Beth,

please find Isabella’s work attached.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Isabella,

Wonderful work this week, I’ve attached  your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Feite
      Participant

Small facts

In the 1800s there were cars but not cars we have now, they had to be pulled by horses.  Many children had to go to factories to work. People mostly lived in houses that had 2 to 4 rooms, 1 or 2 rooms downstairs and 1 or 2 rooms upstairs. In that time there was no electricity so there was no phone, iPad……. They sent real mails.

What they ate

Corn, pork and beans were common for food. In different places they ate different things. In the north they ate milk, butter and beef. In the south they ate meat. It was almost exactly the same as now, but no burger and chips.

Fun fact

People in the 1800s played games, such as rocking, guessing games, word games, horses, marbles and balls. Adults even played some of these games at work.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Feite,

Super work  this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Elizabeth
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Please find work attached. Thanks.

Elizabeth
      Participant

Attachment didn’t work last time. Let’s try again.

Elizabeth
      Participant

What’s the role of a governess in the 1800s?

Governesses usually lived with their employers and were paid a small salary on top of their board and lodging. In 1851, a census was revealed that 25,000 women earned their living as a governess.

The governess could find herself teaching “the Three Rs” (reading, writing and arithmetic) to the youngest and coaching older girls, (8-12) in French, conversation, history and “use of globes” (geography).

What toys did children have?

Poor children made their own, such as cloth peg dolls and paper wind mills. They save their money for marbles, a spinning top, skipping ropes, kites and cheap wooden toys.

Rich girls played with dolls and tea-sets whilst boys played with soldiers and marbles (made of jade and marble). They also had rocking horses with real hair manes, dolls houses with beautiful furniture. Other toys included China or wax dolls and clockwork trainers for boys.

What did they wear?

It was unheard to see ladies legs in the Victorian era. Ladies wore long, attractive dresses. At the beginning of the Victorian era, skirts went straight down. Later it became fashionable for women to wear dresses on hoops or petticoats. Ladies also wore a corset to pull in the waists.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Elizabeth,

Attachments:
      George
      Participant

Dear Beth,

I am so sorry I didn”t finish the homework this week. I will finish it and new homework after lesson.

once again sorry!

Best wishes,

George

Beth
        Participant

Hi George,

No worries at all, thank you for letting me know!

See you soon 🙂

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 2

In today’s lesson we continued our study of The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help plan and write the homework. The powerpoint contains our work on characterisation, symbolism and the use of literary archetypes in the novel. The class began by thinking about the symbolic meaning of the wolves in the novel, and they all thought very deeply about the ways in which the wolves can be read as symbolic of the cruelty of the adults in the novel. I was really impressed by their grasp on this concept, which they were able to articulate beautifully using some high-level vocab too! We then considered the characters in the novel, looking at the idea of protagonists, antagonists and other archetypes such as the sage, the innocent and the rebel. Finally, the class were introduced to the literary technique of juxtaposition which they were able to understand and contextualise fantastically- really impressive work on this everyone! They also completed some inference work using dialogue from the text to infer particular things about each character. I was really impressed by today’s class, especially considering the amount of new material we covered together in terms of symbolism, juxtaposition and the notion of archetypes. Everyone did amazingly well in understanding these new concepts and I really loved hearing all their ideas on what each character could represent, or on what role they played in the novel. Beautiful work today guys, keep it up and I’ll see you all next week. Well done! 😊

Here is the YouTube link for the whole film. The clip we watched is from 19.32-21.10:

Homework 

Homework

Attachments:
      George
      Participant

Dear Beth,

I have attachrd the homerwork of this week and last week. please check them.

Many thanks and have a lovely weekend!

Best Wishes,

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi George,

Wonderful work over the last two weeks, I’ve attached both pieces of feedback below.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend too, see you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 3

In today’s lesson we concluded our study of The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken. The powerpoint with all of the resources is attached below, which should be used to help plan and write the paragraphs assigned for homework. The powerpoint contains our work on the language techniques and style of writing in the novel, thinking particularly about how the author plays around with the contrast between comedy and horror, and how she chose to end the book. We also looked at the language techniques of alliteration and assonance, analysing where we could see them being used and thinking about their effect on the way the book sounds read aloud. The class then used these ideas to create their very own scripts, coming up with an alternative ending to the book and thinking creatively about how to translate Aiken’s style onto the stage. They wrote some really fantastic scripts and I was super impressed by their use of word sound techniques such as sibilance, assonance, consonance, alliteration and onomatopoeia. Finally we discussed what the class had learnt from the book, wrapping up on the most important ideas, messages and themes in the novel. Everyone worked beautifully today, it has been a joy to work with you all and I have been super impressed with all of your progress and the high standard of the work you have all produced. Your contributions in today’s class were outstanding, and you all had so much amazing energy and enthusiasm. Really well done everyone- it has been amazing working with you all over the past fifteen lessons. Keep up the fantastic work and I hope to see you all again soon! 😊

Here is the video on script writing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cId_pHJG5r8&t=2s

Homework 

Homework

Attachments:
      Feite
      Participant

I think Rebellious is sometimes a good quality and sometimes a bad quality. It is a good quality when it’s to bad people because if you don’t rebellious then you get bossed around, treated unfairly and super hard work. Sylvia and Bonnie were treated badly for example Sylvia was faking sick so Bonnie suggested let’s go to the doctor. Miss Slighcarp said it’s to expensive. Sylvia quickly gets weaken and gets ill because of bad food and lots of work. If they didn’t get rebellious and try to escape they will die.  It’s a bad quality when it’s to nice people because you will break someone’s feelings and you won’t get this love anymore.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Feite,

Great work this week, I’ve attached  your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Isabella
      Participant

I think the moral of the story is friendship can defeat evil at all times no matter what. Sylvia got sick but with Bonnie, Simon and Patterns help, she got cured. If you say that the wolves were evil, Bonnie and Sylvia escaped the evil in the nick of time with Simons help. Without him, they wouldn’t survive.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Isabella,

Attachments:
Viewing 95 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar