Lesson Plan

The Call of the Wild 

Lesson Plan

Thief Lord

Jessica
      Participant

Holes – Lesson 1 (report)

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Cathy
      Participant

Chance is more important than choice in Hole–Do you agree?

Name: Cathy

(I didn’t read finish the whole book Hole, but I still read many pages and few chapter)

​Chance I smore important than choice in the hole, do you agree? Chance is you have times to do something, such as: I have a chance to pick the apple first, or I have some chances to pick my favorite color paper to make the art project… Choice is like you can pick a choice or make a choice, such as: There is many choices of the KAP(​KAP which is a after school activities, and there is so many choices to pick.), or my teacher gives me many choice pick the homework you like to do. Chance and choice are different!

​In this sentence, I agree with chance is more important than choice. Because if you can chance to do something, then, you can have many choices about that thing.

​I have an example of this thing. Jason is a boy who really likes to play soccer, at his school, there is many choices of soccer, but if you want to join the team, you have to do a test first, then, you can join the team. Jason told her mom about the soccer, her mom agrees, but she said if Jason wants to join, he need to practice soccer every day. Jason agrees, because he extremely wants to join, and he can do it even when he is very tired, her mom is really proud of her son. Every day, Jason’s mom watches him playing soccer and practice soccer with his friend, Jack, because Jack really wants to join the same teams with Jason too, so they practice together too. The next day Jack and Jason get to school early, so they practice more in the test. When the test starts, they play soccer with the other team, Jack and Jason are on a different team, they can never think of that, but they cannot think that more, they just kick. At last, Jack’s group won, but in the few days, Jason practice more than Jack, Jack just practice for only two days, and Jason practice for about one month, and Jack just won for no purpose, Jason was really sad and little bit angry and jealous of Jack.

​In this story, we can see chance is more important than choice, because if have chances, then, you can pick your choices, like in this story, Jason didn’t have a good chance, so he can’t choose any choice he wants.

​In conclusion, I think chance is more important than choice, there is different answers in different ways.

Jessica
        Participant

Great work, Cathy!

You have considered this question very carefully and produced a really well-constructed answer. The example you give to demonstrate your argument is particularly great.

To improve, you could also try to find some examples from the text to support your answer.

Hubert
      Participant

I think chance is more important than choice. chance is more like lucky. choice is like the way you go. I think chance is more important because there is no choice at camp green lack. it’s like a jail there. you obey Mr. Sir and Warden. what choice you can make?

For example, if you have chance you Warden and Mr. sir won’t trouble you and other boy won’t embarrass you.(even their’er friends) Also chance to get out Camp Green Lake.

Also in  a test if you don’t know the answer you can guess but if you’re lucky you get right if you’re unlucky you don’t.

a long time was at school and we’re playing Pokemon cards. The teacher don’t want us to play it. but some of us still took it to school because it fun.(include me). My friend and I went to the playground and playing with the cards. suddenly my friend wanted to go to bathroom so I stay on the playground waiting him. but the teacher came and just took away my greatest cards! but my friend’s cards didn’t been take away by the teacher.

That’s an example of chance is more important than choice. That’s why I think chance is more important than choice.

Jessica
        Participant

Nice work, Hubert!

This is a very well thought-through answer and you have demonstrated a strong understanding of the text. You have also given an excellent example to support your argument, which is great.

To make this even better, you could try to find some examples which demonstrate how sometimes characters do not have a choice.

Tiger
      Participant

I agree that chance is more important in holes because if there was a chance to find a way to some kind of pond or lake that is better than the water under the ground, or find a way back in the city maybe they won’t need to came back to camp green lake. If there where a chance that the warden  didn’t found them when they came back to camp green lake. for example: One time, I forgot to do my Chinese homework, but the next day my Chinese teacher surprisingly  didn’t found out that I didn’t finish my home work so I got a chance to rewrite it without being given twice as much homework.

I agree because in the story, I got a choice because of a chance.

Jessica
        Participant

Good job, Tiger!

This is a wonderfully constructed and thoughtful answer. You have shown that you have a really good grasp of the themes explored in the book and the examples you give here are excellent.

To improve, you could also think about any times in the book where characters do not have any choice.

Nat
      Participant

I think chance is more important than choice in the holes because chance is like a present that the god gave you, chance is like two roads, leading to two different fates, for examples, my great mom gave me a healthy body and a good memory, If I choose not to study every day and indulge in the game world, I will become a social trash. If I choose to study hard every day, I will become a social elite,but, if my mom choose not to having a baby(me), I will not born in this world, and if I am not born in this world, I will lose my chance, if I lose my chance, I will lose my choice. I will gave you another examples, Stanley Yelnats, the main character in “HOLES”, he found a gold tube that write KB on it in chapter 13, he was lucky, it was a gift from the god, it was his chance, but instead of gave the tube to the warden and get a day off, he choose to gave the tube to x-rays and made friendship with him, that is Stanley’s choice, You can understand that chance is the mother of choice, because if Stanley didn’t got a chance(find the gold tube), he will not get a choice(gave it to x-rays or not).

Jessica
        Participant

Nice work, Nat!

You have produced a very compelling and well-constructed answer. It is clear that you have thought very carefully about the question and you have used some wonderful examples.

To make it even better, you could also think about whether there are moments in the book where characters appear to have no choice.

Jerome
      Participant

In The Holes, I think that in camp green lake, chance is more important than choice and I agree it. I also have some reasons that why in camp green lake chance is more important than choice. First of all, in camp green lake the envirment over there is terrible and very hard. Also you can get almost no choises to do something or have fun in the camp green lake, I think it is even awful than a jail. For example, in school, if you do something that is wrong and it was very bad. But then, the teacher give you a chance to say sory and then mabye you will be fine the chance that the teacher gives you is just like a hope that you can jump out from the chasm. But what if the teacher only give you two choises and both of them have no benifits at all to you, what should you do? This is in the school, but what if you are in camp green lake? Well, you better be lucky. So at last you will still be punished by the teacher and you mom or dad. We all know that is a not good result.

It was just as the same in the book, in the terrible camp green lake, what you need is a chance , not a choice. If you didn’t have any chance in the terrible camp green lake, then mabye you will be digging holes for the rest of your life untill you can go away from the camp green lake. Also you will be exausted every night.

(P.S. I didn’t finish reading the hole book. But I try to read it everyday, and I try my best)

Jessica
        Participant

Great job, Jerome!

This is a very interesting and well-structured answer. You have demonstrated great knowledge of the text and have engaged well with the question. You have also picked some wonderful examples to support your answer.

To improve, you could also think about any characters in the book who appear to not have a choice.

Jessica
      Participant

Holes – Lesson 2 (report)

Attachments:
      Cathy
      Participant

What do you think the title Hole means?

I think it means Stanley and the other kids digging holes. Because Stanley gets in trouble, and his punishment is to digging and digging the hole.

And i also think is because if it is not like that, then why the author wants to choose the named Hole of the book?

For example: a author writes a really interesting book and want to give it a name, but he really couldn’t think about a name, so he just give a fake name and not related to the story. When the book published, all the people thinks it is a good book(but they don’t know it for sure), and they just buy it and read, when they finish readying the book, and they see the name, they said the name of the book didn’t related to the book, it is not the same thing, and they ask the author why, the author is afraid to say that he haven’t really know a name, but he is too shy to tell, and he couldn’t think that much, so he said he don’t know, and everyone is still really confused.

In conclusion, I think the title Hole just related to the story.

Jessica
        Participant

Wonderful work, Cathy!

This is a brilliant answer. You have done some excellent thinking in relation to this question and have given some really strong examples to support your answer.

To improve, you could also think about how Stanley has ‘holes’ in his family history and in himself (i.e. he doesn’t know everything about his ancestors and he becomes a more complete person at the end of the book).

Hubert
      Participant

Question: What do you think the title “Holes” mean?

Answer: I think the title holes mean a “hole” in Stanley or Stanley’s family’s heart. Stanley needs to fill the holes at camp green lake. For example the hole of blaming people for no reason. Everyone have a hole in their heart they just need to fill them and you will turn into a good person or mature person. So the title acutely mean “Stanley fill holes in his heart at camp green lake.” So this title have many meanings. But sometimes this title didn’t hook the readers mind.(personal opinion)

Jessica
      Participant

War Horse – Lesson 1 (report)

Attachments:
      Tiger
      Participant

How does knowing the context of War Horse influence the way you read and appreciate the book?

first, I think knowing the context will help you know what is really happening at the time, and also you can read and understand the character’s feelings in the book which helps you to read the book.

second, when you under stands the book and what is really happening in the story, you will find the story more interesting, and you won’t feel boring about the book, so you will take time and keep reading it till the end. but when you don’t understand the context of War Horse, the only thing you know is that the British and Germany were fighting in World War I and a farm horse called Joey was sold to the British army and he was captured by Germany and came back from Germany and went back home with Albert to the farm. and it seems a very boring story, but when you know the context of the story, you get the feelings of the characters like when the troopers runs runs forward where machine guns fires at them, they might be very scared.

Hubert
      Participant

How does knowing the context of War Horse influence the way you read and appreciate the book?

You will know more about war and you will not said some paragraph is stupid or unreal. Also the author had been to the army so he will know more about war and don’t like some of the young children think that war is interesting or funny like shooting. Also you will know that why did this character do this or what is the cause.

Jerome
      Participant

When I am reading, I can know the feelings of the character, especially what Joe feels like. Also, because of that the author is a soldier has ben in a war, when I am reading it, I feel similar to the characters and you will not feel strange at all when your are reading.

Jerome
      Participant

When I am reading, I can know the feelings of the character, especially what Joe feels like. Also, because of that the author is a soldier has ben in a war, when I am reading it, I feel similar to the characters and you will not feel strange at all when your are reading. Also I know clearly what is the author is talking about.

Nat
      Participant

Knowing the context is important because if you don’t know the context, you will not know what the story is about, you will fell boring and don’t want to read the book anymore(just like me), I don’t know what WAR HOURSE is about, so when I finish reading a few chapter, I got bad felling to this book, To put it bluntly, every time my mother forces me to read this book, I feel like I’m wasting my time, but when I was reading HOLES, I very enjoy this book, because I know the context, that is the power of context.

ps:i fell sorry that i  forgot to submit my homework last week, this is my home work last week.

What do you think the title holes mean?
      I think the title holes mean Stanley and his friends zero was digging holes, they was digging holes to build character at first, they were digging holes to survive at next, and they were digging holes to find the treasure at last,   the second meaning of the title is the main idea of this book is about holes, it tells the reader that the story of this book is about holes, but if the author choose to change the book title to “Stanley ”or change it to “Stanley and his no good-dirty-pig-stealing-great great grandfather” instead of the title “holes”, it seem to be very untrue, and You can’t let a man who hasn’t read the book know who Stanley and his great great grandfather is.

Jessica
      Participant

War Horse – Lesson 2 (report)

Attachments:
      Tiger
      Participant

What are the strengths and weaknesses of having the story written from the perspective of a horse?

first, The strengths is that the title is called ” War Horse”  Joey the war horse is the main character so it is sticked to the title of the book.

second,  writing from the perspective of the horse will make the story special and more interesting to read, because when the author writes from the horses point of view, they also will write the horses feeling what he feels about been a war horse and also how they they react from there feeling, for example: when Joey was sold to the British army, he got a very mean rider and he hates him, so his react was to try to threw him down on the ground but he just can’t threw him down on the ground, because he always grip his knee on Joey very hard.

third, other story might been written from albert’s point of view or british trooper’s point of view, and their is not so many stories will use a horse’s point of view, and it will have a huge different with normal stories.

The weaknesses is that when the author writes the book from the horses point of view, we won,t know other people’s feelings and the only way of knowing is to use our imagination and imagine there feeling with the hint of there action.for example: when albert found out that his dad sold Joey to the British army, I can tell that albert was very worry about about Joey because he made Captain Nicholls made a promise that he will take good care to joey as good as possible. but the book didn’t tell how albert feel in the situation.

Cathy
      Participant

What are the strengths and weaknesses of having the story written from the perspective of a horse?

First of all, the title of the book is called War Horse.

Second of all, I know different horse have different characteristics of itself.

The weaknesses is that when this book’s author writes the book of the horse’s point of view, the readers will not know what other people feels and the only way to solve it is that to imagine what they feels, but can’t know it for sure, such as in the story: Albert found out that his dad sell Joey to other place, where is called British army, I can tell Albert is worried of Joey because Captain Nichols make a pledge that he is going to take care of Joey as perfect as possible, just like how Albert take care of Joey. But in this book, it didn’t tell what Albert felt in this thing.

The strengths is that the title “War Horse”, and Joey is the main character of the book and it contract with the title because Joey is the war horse.

Hubert
      Participant

Weakness: You’ll don’t know the feeling of the human and sometimes there are some event boring writing with the horse’s view

Strengths: You’ll know more about horses are be treated bad at that time and maybe you’ll learn that sometimes you need to stand at other’s view to think.

Jerome
      Participant

The War Horse is a very special book because its point of view is from a horse.

There are many strengths and weaknesses of having the story written from the perspective of a horse. The strengths are you can what is the horse is feeling right now and you also can imagine what things is happening on the horse. The weaknesses are sometimes you can’t know what is the emotion of the human.

Nat
      Participant

The strengths of having the story written from the perspective of a horse is that you know more about what the horse is thinking about, for examples, if the story is written the other characters perspective, they won’t tell you what is the horse thinking about and you, the reader, don’t exactly what the main character was thinking about and get boring.
      The weaknesses of having the story written from the perspective of a horse is that you don’t know what does other character was thinking about, that was a big problem, too, because when the reader, us, just knowing what is the main character was thinking, then, we will got boring, too.

Jessica
      Participant

War Horse – Lesson 3 (report)

Attachments:
      Hubert
      Participant

What is the main message that you take away from reading War Horse?

I think the main message in War Horse is think at other’s view to think question. Like some of the soldiers didn’t treated Joey well. If you are the soldier you need to think: are Joey feeling well or something like this. When I’m at school A teacher told me that there’s a student who just think at other’s view. When we’re stand in a line for Computers he thought that we’re busier than him so he just went to the back of the line. That’s a example of thinking at other’s view.

Cathy
      Participant

What is the main message that you take away from ready War Horse?

The main messages I take away from reading War Horse is that think careful of other’s feeling, and then think harder about what is the problem you like to ask them, like asking them a question… Like people didn’t treat Joey good, like the soldiers, and they need to think first: did Joey like that? Did Joey really want us to treated like that? Did Joey feel the same way that his own owner treated him?

At conclusion, the main message that I take away from reading War Horse is that think and take care of other’s feeling.

Jerome
      Participant

What is the main message that you take away from reading War Horse?

I think the main message of the War Horse is how Joe went to the different army and go through the war. When Joe went to another army, there will be a lot of things and emotion happen to Joe. Then, Joe will be accustomed to the environment. That will make the reader feel similar to Joe. It is also a way to attract people to read this book.

Jessica
      Participant

Wonder – Lesson 1 (report)

Attachments:
      Tiger
      Participant

What would be lost and gained if the story had an omniscient narrator?

First, the gained of story having a omniscient narrator is that the reader  can know all the characters mind, and will not need to guess some of the character’s feelings, this will make reading the story easier and so more people can enjoy the book, even if they are not so good at English

The lost is that when you know all the characters feelings and don’t need to guess anything, you might start to feel boring about the book and wouldn’t like it.

Hubert
      Participant

What would be lost and gained if the story had an omniscient narrator

The gain will be the reader will be “omniscient” in the story. And you will don’t have a wrong feeling that someone is bad like jack. The lost will be the book will not be exciting as the normal narrator. The book will lost a sell-point. The will not be good as the normal one. The book will not be special.

Cathy
      Participant

I think if a omniscient narrator who read this story, the gain is going to be friendly to others, or they will not be friendly to you, such as: many students in school bully August, but August didn’t bully them, at last, many students play with him.

The lost will be they didn’t know how August look like in the really person, they can only imagine it.

Jerome
      Participant

The gain of having a omniscient narrator is that you can know evenly about the characters emotion and it can help you to know better about the plot. The lost is there is no a specific character to write about in the book because of the omniscient narrator.

Jerome
      Participant

The gain of having a omniscient narrator is that you can know evenly about the characters emotion and it can help you to know better about the plot. The lost is there is no a specific character to write about in the book because of the omniscient narrator.

In conclusion, it have both lost and gained if the story had an omniscient narrator.

Nat
      Participant

The lost of omniscient narrator is that the book’s perfect part of reading “wonders” is you can imagen what the character is thinking, for examples, I think Julian is a bad character, no one will arguing with me because I have right to think that way, but if a omniscient narrator tell me ever single thing, My imaginary wings will be broken。
      The gained part is that sometimes I just can’t imagen what the character was thinking, for examples, when jack will was saying if the god turn’s him to august, he will killed him self, I just can’t understand why he says that mean word, but if a omniscient narrator tells me jack just want to make friend with the cool kid because he’s family is poor.

Jessica
      Participant

Wonder – Lesson 2 (report)

Attachments:
      Hubert
      Participant

Julian, unlike the other characters, does not finally learn a lesson about kindness’. Why did Palacio choose not to have him change?

I think the author just want to make a bad character or Julian is the mural. Palacio want the reader to know that you need to know what you did wrong and correct it. Or don’t be so proud if you are the cool kid at school. Maybe the author have seen some cool kid who didn’t correct himself so the author wanted a character who didn’t correct himself.

Cathy
      Participant

Julian, unlike the other characters, does not finally learn a lesson about kindness. Why did Palacio choose not to have him change?

I think because the author who wrote this book wants to let the reader know that Julian is bad, not like Jack or August. And I think maybe Palacio thinks Julian was nice to him, and he think if Julian change, maybe he will not like him, and does not play with him. I also think that the author wants to extrude that Palacio was kind maybe and Julian was a bad kid at school.

Jerome
      Participant

Julian, unlike the other characters, does not finally learn a lesson about kindness. Why did Palacio choose not to have him change?

I think the author want to show more obviously that Julian is different to others, Jack or August. I think Palacio not choose to have him change is because Palacio maybe think the original Julian is good enough or just don’t want to let Julian change. So it could also make the reader think.

Nat
      Participant

First, I think because if Julian learn a lesson at last, it will be very unbelievable, at the beginning of the story, Julian wanted to kill august directly, how can he don’t want to kill august even though august proved with his own strength that you can’t judge people by what their looking like.
      Last, it will be very boring if Julian learn a lesson, if palacio choose to gave him a change, I will feel that the ending is childish, I will probably throw this book out of the window or draw a ugly, silly picture on the book and put it into he trash can, just joking, the real thing I probably going to do is never ever read this book again, that’s it.

Jessica
      Participant

Wonder – Lesson 3 (report)

Jessica
      Participant

Wonder – Lesson 3 (report)

Attachments:
      Hubert
      Participant

The masks are important because they can cover peoples face so no one will know who he/she is. It’s also important to August because no one will know what his face look like and no one will know that person is August. Also if no one know that person is August no one will laugh at him.

Tiger
      Participant

What different types of masks are there in Wonder and how are they important?

The masks are important because they can cover peoples faces which makes that no one knows who is who under the masks so this way every one will think August is a normal kid and won’t bully August, this way August then won’t feel as bad, and so everyone will play with him.

Nat
      Participant

What different types of masks are there in Wonder and how are they important?
      Masks sometimes is important, sometimes not, it depends on who it is.
      But I think the mask is very important to August. The mask is like an invisible wall, which makes other children think August is a normal little boy. Let other children not bully him, laugh at him, discriminate against him and cast a vicious look at him……

Jessica
      Participant

Tom’s Midnight Garden – Lesson 1 (report)

Attachments:
      Hubert
      Participant

How would the story be different if it were written from Tom’s perspective

I think it will be more exciting if the story was told by Tom’s perspective because Tom is not omniscient and you can heard more what Tom was thinking about. So I think if the story was told by Tom’s perspective the story will be more exciting.

Cathy
      Participant

How would the story be different if it written form Tom’s perspective?

I think it will be more interesting and unique. Because Tom knows what he actually feels, so the story will be more real, if other people writes, they didn’t know what Tom actually feel, and it is not that kind of real.

Jerome
      Participant

How would the story be different if it were written from Tom’s perspective?

I think the story will be more interesting because you will know more about Tom and what happen to him and know how he feel. Also it will make the reader can have more connections with Tom because if the book is written from Tom’s perspective, the reader will not know how other people in the book feel.

Nat
      Participant

How would the story be different if it were written from Tom’s perspective?
      I believe the story will be more excited and fun if it’s written by tom’s perspective cause you can imagen lot’s of things, you know, when the story is not written by a characters perspective, it will be very boring, I love the book “wonder” because it’s written by different character’s perspective, you can imagen lot’s of detail by carefully read each part of the story, the one reason I don’t like “tom’s midnight garden” is that it’s not written by a characters persuasive. Ok, so, I deeply believe that it will be more perfect if the book is written from Tom’s perspective, that’s the big different, you know, if the book is written from Tom’s perspective, the book will be better.

Nat
      Participant

<p class=”MsoNormal” style=”margin: 0cm; font-size: 10.5pt; font-family: DengXian;” align=”left”><span lang=”EN-US” style=”font-size: 20pt; font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’; color: #333333; background-color: white; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;”>How would the story be different if it were written from Tom’s perspective?</span></p>
      <p class=”MsoNormal” style=”margin: 0cm; font-size: 10.5pt; font-family: DengXian;” align=”left”><span lang=”EN-US” style=”font-size: 20pt; font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’; color: #333333; background-color: white; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;”>I believe the story will be more excited and fun if it’s written by tom’s perspective cause you can imagen lot’s of things, you know, when the story is not written by a characters perspective, it will be very boring, I love the book “wonder” because it’s written by different character’s perspective, you can imagen lot’s of detail by carefully read each part of the story, the one reason</span><span lang=”EN-US” style=”font-size: 20pt; font-family: 宋体;”> </span><span lang=”EN-US” style=”font-size: 20pt; font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’;”>I don’t like “tom’s midnight garden” is that it’s not written by a characters persuasive. Ok, so, I deeply believe that it will be more perfect if <span style=”color: #333333; background-color: white; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;”>the book is written from Tom’s perspective, that’s the big different, you know, </span>if <span style=”color: #333333; background-color: white; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;”>the book is written from Tom’s perspective, the book will be better. </span></span></p>
      <p class=”MsoNormal” style=”margin: 0cm; font-size: 10.5pt; font-family: DengXian;” align=”left”><span lang=”EN-US” style=”font-size: 20pt; font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’;”>    </span></p>
      <p class=”MsoNormal” style=”margin: 0cm; text-align: justify; font-size: 10.5pt; font-family: DengXian;”><span lang=”EN-US” style=”font-size: 20pt;”> </span></p>

Jessica
      Participant

Tom’s Midnight Garden – Lesson 2 (report)

Attachments:
      Nat
      Participant

Why​ do you think ​Mrs Bartholomew tells Tom who she really is ​at the end of the book?
      I think because if Mrs. Bartholomew don’t tell tom who she really is, Tom would keep thinking about where his good friend went for the rest of his life, so the Mrs. Bartholomew didn’t want to hide from him anymore and told him the truth.

Jessica
      Participant

Tom’s Midnight Garden – Lesson 3 (report)

Attachments:
      Hubert
      Participant

What statements does the novel make about magic?

The statement that the novel make is traveling. Tom traveling through past is absolutely magic. But also Mrs. Bartholomew dreaming is magic because that when she dream Tom can travel.

Jessica
      Participant

Once – Lesson 1 (report)

Attachments:
      Hubert
      Participant

‘It is important that children read stories about horrific historical events, such as the
      holocaust.’ Do you agree?

The answer depends on the children. Some of the children need to know the horrific historical events such as ruthless war. If the children don’t know they’ll think that war is fun and always don’t remember some great soldiers’ dead. But if the children know the ruthless of war and read stories about horrific historical events maybe that child will always being sad and think everything is sad. Or he/she will have a depression. So it depends on the children.

Jessica
      Participant

Once – Lesson 2 (report)

Attachments:
      Jessica
      Participant

Once – Lesson 3 (report)

Attachments:
      Marnie
      Participant

Well done today, everyone! Attached is the PowerPoint from today’s lesson on Black Beauty- you all had interesting ideas on the novel’s context and main events, which was great to hear 🙂 The homework is explained on the final slide, and asks you to create a summary of your own horse story/novel. Happy writing and see you next week! 🙂

Attachments:
      Marnie
      Participant

Great work today, everyone! We looked at the main characters in the novel, analysing their descriptions as well as if we preferred human or animal narrators, learning about anthropomorphism too! Attached is the PowerPoint with the homework on the final slide; feel free to write down any questions at the bottom of your homework if you wanted to go over anything you learnt in the lesson. Happy writing and see you next week 🙂

Attachments:
      Marnie
      Participant

Well done everyone, for some highly thoughtful analysis on Black Beauty’s themes and symbols. We discussed some tricky concepts today, so I am particularly impressed with everyone! Attached is the PowerPoint, with the homework details on the final slide. Have fun writing, and see you next week to start our new book 🙂

Attachments:
      Hubert
      Participant

I think the most important theme is treat animals well. Animals are just some creatures that are living on earth just like us. They need to be respected like they are living-things. Actually, Humans are animals too. We are just smarter animals. So that’s why I think this is the most important theme.

Marnie
        Participant

Good work, Hubert- I like your analysis, especially when you bring in that humans are ‘just smarter animals’. This is perceptive! Maybe next time, think about how you can include an example from Black Beauty in your answer, to show me a time when the book discusses this theme.

Well done 🙂

Marnie
      Participant

The Little Prince- Lesson One:

Great work today, everyone! I was really impressed with your shared knowledge on World War II, as well as the events of the novel. You all responded well to difficult questions! Attached is the PowerPoint, with the homework on the final slide. Happy writing, and see you next week! 🙂

Attachments:
      Marnie
      Participant

The Little Prince- Lesson 2:

Really great work today, everyone! You all had fascinating and varied ideas on the characters in The Little Prince, which were all great to hear discussed! Attached is the PowerPoint from today, where the homework is on the final slide.

Have a great week everyone! 🙂

Attachments:
      Marnie
      Participant

The Little Prince- Lesson Three:

Well done, everyone! You all had some great thoughts on the themes in The Little Prince, particularly on the use of stars as a symbol! Attached is the PowerPoint with the homework on the final slide- happy writing and I shall see you next week to start our new book! 🙂

Attachments:
      Marnie
      Participant

The Secret Garden- Lesson 1:

Well done today, everyone! You all had some great ideas on the setting of The Secret Garden especially, and I really enjoyed discussing ideas of genre with you all too! The homework is explained on the final slide. Very good work, and I will see you next week 🙂

Attachments:
      Marnie
      Participant

The Secret Garden- Lesson 2:

Great work today! I really enjoyed discussing the variety of characters with you all, and sharing our opinions 🙂 Attached is today’s PowerPoint, with the homework on the final slide.

Have a great week everyone!

Attachments:
      Marnie
      Participant

The Secret Garden- Lesson 3:

-Great work today! You all answered some difficult questions on themes, and evaluated important sections of the book, particularly on the garden as a setting. Attached is today’s PowerPoint, with the homework on the final slide. Well done and I shall see you next week to start lessons on The Call of the Wild! 🙂

Attachments:
      Marnie
      Participant

The Call of the Wild- Lesson One:

Great work today, everyone, with some insightful analysis on the context of The Call of the Wild! Attached is today’s PowerPoint, with the homework on the final slide. Well done and see you all next week! 🙂

Attachments:
      Marnie
      Participant

The Call of the Wild- Lesson Two:

Nice work today, everyone! We had some interesting discussions on the main characters, and I enjoyed hearing your discussions on how the characters (mainly Buck) develop in the book. Attached is today’s PowerPoint, with the homework on the final slide. Well done and see you all next week!  🙂

Attachments:
      Marnie
      Participant

The Call of the Wild- Final Lesson (3):

Superb work! Really well done for answering a wide range of questions today, and for thinking carefully about the main themes and ideas within the trickiest book we’ve looked at! Attached is the PowerPoint from today. Thank you for being such a wonderful class, and best of luck for the year ahead! 🙂

Attachments:
Viewing 69 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar