Forums 2023 Summer Intensive Courses 11+Writing-Wed

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • Author
      VMWEdu
      Keymaster
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 1

In today’s class we began our 11+ writing course, thinking today about the importance of harnessing genre in exam writing. We started with a free-writing exercise based on a one-minute story before delving into the concept of genre and the students’ favourite genres to write in. We completed a wheel spin game where the class had to combine genre with literary techniques and then thought in depth about sci-fi and how it is constructed. We then looked at some 11+ sci-fi prompts which the class used a step-by-step planning process to plan. Finally we discussed some final tips i.e., remember to give your piece a title and show not tell. Great work today class, you were all super enthusiastic and engaged throughout and came up with some brilliant sci-fi ideas. Really fantastic contributions from everyone, keep up the wonderful work 🙂

Sci-fi video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrusqQ5JftA

Wheel spinner that you can put genres and techniques into: https://wheelofnames.com/

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
        Jeff
        Participant

Hi Beth

Here is my homework for Lesson 1.

Jeff

Attachments:
          Beth
          Participant

Hi Jeff,

Super work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Jasmine
      Participant

Hi Beth

Here is my homework

Hope you like it

Jasmine:-)

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jasmine,

Fabulous work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Tangtang2
      Participant

Hello Beth , here is my homework for Lesson 1, thanks for the amazing lesson:)

The robotic discovery (Lesson 1)
      Everything had erupted everywhere. The mysterious figure stood up, with a terrified expression slapped across his face. Arrows injected with questions him…

The golden goddess’s beams bolted through my window as I woke up to start my day. “Olivia! come on down, it’s your friend, she’ bursting to see you!” called father.
      “Coming,” I replied with an etched grin on my rosy face. Darting down the steep, stiff stairs I realized my friend’s face had an unusual frown drawn on her (she normally wore an elated smile). Rapidly, I rushed up to her for our 5 o’clock catch-up while a variety of interesting emotions whirled inside me: anxiety, satisfaction and many more. Like a torrential rainfall, large tears poured down her little, pale cheeks as she explained that her father had discovered a shocking theory that we were AI robots.

Munching on our afternoon snacks- I had a granola bar while she had some nuts- we felt more contented and started to unravel more questions against this bizarre discovery. If we were AI robots, then who made us? Were they human? Thoughts of doubt bubbled upon us, encouraging us to solve this unanswered mystery. A few hours of misery passed as we realized time had overtaken us whilst fate had given us, who were two innocent school girls, the worst day imaginable. Chestnut-brown leaves were scattered along the painful path that we trudged. In the middle of our exhausting trek, we eavesdropped on a quiet conversation between two solemn adults which contained some serious information; my friend’s father was correct, we were AI robots.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Tantang,

Gorgeous work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      imposter tze
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is the homework for Tze.

Thanks.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Tze,

I’ve marked your work and uploaded it on the Tuesday class forum, so make sure you always upload it in the right place to avoid confusion 😀

Molly
      Participant

Hello Beth,

Please see my writing for the lesson one.

Thank you.

Molly

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Molly,

Some nice work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Bingce
      Participant

hi Beth,

this is Bingyao’s homework

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Bingyao,

Incredible work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      tylor
      Participant

My AI Robot Goes Crazy

I used to have a £14000000 HH3000. Latest and best modal, until it went crazy that is. A HH3000 could do anything. You name it. It could fly, do sports, do chores and just about anything you could imagine. It was just this one day that it totally lost it. First, it did the opposite of everything you told it to, next it would do what you told it but in a a completely rubbish and useless way. You tell him to play tennis, he gets the ball and hits it so hard that his strings broke and the ball soared into the distance. The HH3000 was going berserk. Occasionally bursting into flame and incinerating random things, , putting books into the washing machine and switching it on, randomly hacking into the government security systems and telling random people how to activate nuclear warheads from their computer. It had to be stopped but how. it was water proof, electricity proof and just about anything proof. At first, the police crushed it under a ten tone block of concrete. The robot simply cut through it with his laser like it was butter before throwing the pieces at the London Eye and hitting every glass orb. Then, the army strapped a dynamite pack onto the robot’s leg. Unfortunately, knots was one of the things the robot was programmed to fix and undo. As the dynamite sailed away, through the air and crashed through the Shard and blowing apart 24 of its floors. As a last resort. The air force harpooned the HH3000 and flew it into the middle of the Pacific and dropped a nuclear warhead on it. This was no ordinary warhead. This was a one of a kind warhead, 1 km square and packed with atomic bombs. If it didn’t blow the robot into liquid metal, it was sure to crush it with its sheer weight. As the timer ticked, the bomb shook and even the robot was helpless. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The explosion shook the word as a n orange fireball rolled into the sky. The sheer power of it was so great. the robot was torn into pieces. Even the bullet proof layer couldn’t protect it. It was the end of the HH3000 once and for all.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Tylor,

Great work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Bingce
      Participant

This is Bingce’s homework.Please see in the attachment

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Bingce,

Nice work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 2

In today’s class we considered the key 11+ question of writing from a picture prompt. We began with some metaphor work designed to help the class engage on a deeper level with literary techniques before moving on to discussing important descriptive techniques. The class then thought about how to write from a picture prompt, considering the senses, strong imagery, and interpretation. They planned some exhilarating pieces using a choice of three images, thinking about how to create a twist of the unexpected in their stories and how to focus on one main plot event in order to keep the story arc tight and compelling. We also planned some quick-fire picture prompt storylines thinking of some fun and creative stories for three characters on the board. Wonderful and vibrant work today everyone- well done for all your fantastic ideas and contributions throughout. See you next week 🙂

Plot twist video to watch the rest of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SPcBeLZmiQ

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Jasmine
      Participant

Hi Beth,

here is my hw

hope you have a good end of the week.

Jasmine 🙂

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jasmine,

Thanks!

Brilliant work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Bingce
      Participant

Here is Bingyao’s work#

“The bot has a 99.8% of being per…defective,” warned the machine. Ordering the bot to be tested with a test so difficult, no robot or human had ever received more than 80% percent, he stalked off. This bot was meant to be the pinnacle of the mountain of his creations, yet it seemed more like the base. A labyrinth of metal and wires, it was nothing like his previous robots: streamlined, humanoid chrome plating with realistic movements created by hydraulic joints.

X-5 (which was one of his many AIs) sent him the results. Snorting, he read them. With his heart in his boots, he gazed at the black writing. As he had expected, it was only 90%…”90%!” he gasped.

Astonished, he immediately told all his staff that every factory should start producing these robots, using more than their allotted electricity if they had to. He also told them to test each one. Abruptly, his phone rang. And rang again. And again. ”Why are you calling?” he enquired. The man replied that none of the bots had scored over 10% in the test and added that it was possible at some point, it had changed, asking if the machine had behaved oddly. Quickly, the scientist decided to call his friend, who was a coder. ”Oh. About that…”. His friend explained he had first hacked the machine so it said defective, then hacked the robot for it to only tell the truth as a prank because the robot was meant to be able to ace the test. “What was the machine going to say before the hack” asked the scientist curiously.

His friend answered that he didn’t know, but the ‘per’ was the start of the word. Suddenly, the robots all began laughing. ”The word is perfect” they intoned between giggles. “The hack worked perfectly. The two humans sighed. They were never going to hear the end of this.Tricked by a robot…

Beth
        Participant

Hi Bingyao,

Lovely work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Bingce
      Participant

Here is Bingce’s work

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Bingce,

Nice  work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Molly
      Participant

Hello Beth,

Here is my homework.

Thanks, Molly

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Molly,

Some super work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      tylor
      Participant

This my moment, my time to shine. My time to attract the attention of Skylene herself. The most famous lady frog in the garden. I had oiled and dusted my glossy skin, it sparkled like the constellations in an inky black sky and glittered an emerald green. My 2 eyes, as bright as rubies, focused on taking this picture. My instant camera was ready, the sleek black frame was ready when I was to take the picture. Skylene, a vision of pure loveliness, posed, her lips as red as twin cherries. Her porcelain handbag, her trademark feature, hung loosely at her side and an expression of  curiosity was etched across her face, a picture perfect position. Wait! The picture! I needed to take it now! Just when I was about to get a picture, a huge gust of wind swept through the garden, almost knocking me over. Skylene was not so lucky. She stumbled and I rushed forward to stop her from falling but too late…  Crunch!  The impact made her head, her beautiful head come off. I stood. Staring. At cogs. And wires. The inside of her body was full of gears and circuits. She was a robot! Disgusted, I picked up her handbag and threw it in at her headless body. The bag, and the body, shattered into a million pieces. Metal pieces, wires, gears and plugs went everywhere. At least I was a real garden figure. Not a robot. I checked my body and found a logo. It said: MADE BY DENSO ROBOTICS…

Beth
        Participant

Hi Tylor,

Dazzling work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Yangyang
      Participant

Hi this is my homework below:

“Can anyone lend me a chair?” I asked, fanning myself to keep me from dehydrated.

“We just sold the sofa, you know, for money.” Dad called back from the dining room. “And we’re eating lunch, so you can’t borrow a chair.”

Oh bummer, I was really looking forward to a sit-down after going to the grocery store. Then, my friend John knocked on the door. After we understood each other’s situations, John got a genius idea.

“What about we go and find a chair in your attic? There are too many things up there. Maybe a chair.”

That was a good idea. So we went upstairs and opened the attic door, and guess what? There was a chair.

“Dibs!” I called as I sat down on the chair. John wasn’t as fast, so he went to find another chair. I looked around myself. It has been a long time since I didn’t go into the attic, because it always looked creepy and scary. There was an old grandfather clock, broken down. Outside, some birds were having a race with a plane. Inside, John was flinging the drawers open, and a weird breeze blew a photo out of a drawer, and also knocked the attic door closed. I was a little creeped out, because even though I got past my fears about the attic, it was still not pleasant to be trapped inside.

And that’s when everything froze.

The birds and the plane stopped moving, the photo stopped in midair, and the basement door also did. I looked to John, and he was half-opening a drawer. And then I started to fall.

“Help!” I cried as I fell. My surroundings weren’t moving, which is probably a good thing, because at least I was staying in place, but also a bad thing, because no one was coming to help me. I closed my eyes, and suddenly stopped falling.

I was in a virtually identical place when I opened my eyes, except everything was inverted. I got up, and went out of the basement door. What I saw next was a surprise.

It was a city, with extra-large skyscrapers, but they had no windows and were bright green. Bananas with people on them whizzed by, knocking all the crimson-coloured “trees” over. And the people, well, there was something…just something…about them.

I stopped a nearby person. “Hello, do you know where 26 Cambridge Place is?”

The person looked at me as if I was speaking French, then he responded. “Where’s that camera bridge you’re talking about? Never been there.” And he walked away.

And that’s when I knew I left my world far, far behind.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Yangyang,

Great work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon  🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 3

In today’s class we focused on 11+ prompts which asked the students to describe a place. We first began with some metaphor work before moving on to thinking about different ways to think about setting. We discussed how setting can shape theme and should show the narrator’s worldview, emotions, and how they perceive the setting. The class brainstormed some ideas based on a prompt and thought about how their personal setting influences their emotions and ideas about the world. We then thought about treating setting as a character, wrote some descriptive writing based on vivid and attention-grabbing imagery and the class completed some amazing group work thinking about how setting influences plot, and character and can have its own history. Fabulous work from the class today, they all came up with some lovely ideas for how to connect emotion, character and theme to setting and worked brilliantly as a group. See you next week 🙂

Setting website (read the rest if you can): https://www.helpingwritersbecomeauthors.com/make-your-setting-a-character-in-its-own-right/

Setting video: https://liberalarts.oregonstate.edu/wlf/what-setting

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
        Jeff
        Participant

Hi Beth

Here is my homework for Lesson 3.

Jeff

Attachments:
          Beth
          Participant

Hi Jeff,

Nice work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      tylor
      Participant

I am in Grand La Castile, five star resort and I am going to the bar to order a cocktail. Music blared from all around me, the sound mingling with clinking glasses. The warm Californian air wafted through the air hand in hand with the aromas of dinner dancing around and settling on the noses of the guests. I approached the bar, a modest, ornately carved mahogany counter where a  jovial barman served pints of bear and luscious cocktails. I had a look at the menu, it was brimming with options. Should I choose a strawberry cooler or a lemon surprise, a fruit island, or a tropical pineapple. In the end I went with a strawberry cooler and the barman whipped up a phenomenal beverage with a hint of lemon and freshly sliced strawberries. The refreshing drink revitalised me and sent a wave of energy surging through my body. I thanked the barman and walked off.

Next, I decided to go and play some golf on the on site crazy golf course. It was clear that this course was designed by the finest architects as the balls weight perfectly operated the gears and leavers on the adventure golf. The most striking thing about it is that it was completely free of electricity. It was operated with cogs and gears and you could hit a ball into a river and it would come out the other side onto a huge wooden board. Then, the board would move with the balls weight and it would tip the ball into a tunnel which would carry your ball into the hole.

After I had completed all 18 holes, I went back to my luxury suite with soundproof walls and door so I would’t be disturbed by the music outside unless I wanted to open the door onto my balcony. My bed was already made when the 24 hour catering service had tidied everything up when I was outside. I flicked on the plasma Tv in the game room, equipped with PS6s Nintendos and an Xbox. They were equipped with all the latest Tv shows and video games.

After a while, My body was worn out and I felt like I had just run a marathon in a dessert. Those VR games really are lifelike! I made a mental not to go to the ice cream parlour later. One equipped with all flavours, bubblegum, caramel, wild berry, every fruit you could think of, fudge and deep sea. Even thinking about it makes me hungry. Perhaps I might go now…

Beth
        Participant

Hi Tylor,

Great work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon  🙂

Attachments:
      Tangtang2
      Participant

Hi Beth, here is my homework for today’s lesson, thanks.
      A place from my childhood (lesson 3)
      As the beams of light lay across the faraway fields, the shade from the towering trees concealed me from the scintillating fire ball. My hand swept the emerald-green grass, filling me with a rush of excitement. Capturing me, the vivid views imprinted a memory inside of me; it had memorized me in a matter of seconds. A gust of wind brushed past my crimson face, placing a blanket of peace and calmness on top of myself. The fragile birds above me sang a beautiful melody that rung loudly in my ears as I scanned the land for scarecrows (I loved watching them standing there, so brave to fight off the cunning crows). Slowly flying off into dreamland, I lay down against the old oak tree and gradually closed my eyes. A few hours after – it felt like only a few minutes – I suddenly woke up from my short nap, realizing that time had betrayed me and had resulted in a late 5′ o’clock. I bolted back to the main gate, thank goodness the owner hadn’t locked up yet, and darted hurriedly down the familiar path leading to home. “Where have you been?” cried an enraged voice, “I was waiting for you, quick, have your tea while it’s still warm”.
      “Sorry, mummy, I dozed off at the field, I was so tired,” I replied with a sorrowful look painted on my small face.
      “Well, at least you’re here now, come on tuck in,” my mother replied, with a gentle smile that warmed up my heart.
      thanks again,
      Tangtang

Beth
        Participant

Hi Tangtang,

Beautiful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon  🙂

Attachments:
      Yangyang
      Participant

Homework:

Before we moved, I lived in an apartment near the beach. Pretty
      much every day, my parents took me there to enjoy the fresh air and the clear
      blue pureness of the sea. When I first went there, I nearly always got the brightly
      coloured tarp and the picnic basket out of the trunk and lay the tarp down, snacking
      on sandwiches and watching other people swim. I didn’t particularly enjoy the
      way they were swimming about in a “pool” where other animals did their business
      (possibly including little kids), and also the wind was always howling, and I didn’t
      want to catch a cold.

But once, I got tired of watching people swim, and I went
      behind a rock to change into my swimming trunks, and literally 30 seconds later
      I was also splashing in the big ocean, with the other people. And then of
      course I had to scrape my leg on a jagged reef, and then obviously open my eyes
      wide in terror but also tripping over that reef, and getting half a litre of
      salt water into my eyes, and then predictably gasping, and then my mouth and
      nose were both underwater, so I drank lots of seawater and also got it in my
      nose, and then trying to get out of there, but then I scraped my leg on another
      reef, etc. etc. After that I wouldn’t go swimming for a long time, and sat on
      the wet beach without the tarp, building sandcastles. But later on, I got over
      my fear of swimming, and went into the salt waters again, and guess what
      happened next. That’s why I don’t really like swimming anymore.

After that incident, I figured out that when the tide fell,
      there were always large stones there, and living crabs hiding under the stones, which is presumably why people always crowded round there. So, I joined in. I flipped over the stones, and occasionally capturing a tiny crab, only to find it was dead. The only reason I always went home with lots of alive crabs was because people often gave them to
      me for some reason. I would fill a bottle with sea water and put them in there.
      They always died after day two or three, but I did it for the thrill of the (unsuccessful)
      capturing.

One thing I liked above the rest, was that sometimes we would bring the barbecue and some tender meat and invite a lot of friends to come with us. Then, we would grill the meat, and finished it all.

Even though we moved away, we still visit the beach sometimes, in the summer holidays. It has changed a lot, though as long as it’s the same beach, I’m fine with that.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Yangyang,

Super work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Yangyang
      Participant

Homework (changed into better format):

Before we moved, I lived in an apartment near the beach. Pretty much every day, my parents took me there to enjoy the fresh air and the clear blue pureness of the sea. When I first went there, I nearly always got the brightly coloured tarp and the picnic basket out of the trunk and lay the tarp down, snacking on sandwiches and watching other people swim. I didn’t particularly enjoy the way they were swimming about in a “pool” where other animals did their business (possibly including little kids), and also the wind was always howling, and I didn’t want to catch a cold.

But once, I got tired of watching people swim, and I went behind a rock to change into my swimming trunks, and literally 30 seconds later I was also splashing in the big ocean, with the other people. And then of
      course I had to scrape my leg on a jagged reef, and then obviously open my eyes wide in terror but also tripping over that reef, and getting half a litre of
      salt water into my eyes, and then predictably gasping, and then my mouth and nose were both underwater, so I drank lots of seawater and also got it in my nose, and then trying to get out of there, but then I scraped my leg on another reef, etc. etc. After that I wouldn’t go swimming for a long time, and sat on the wet beach without the tarp, building sandcastles. But later on, I got over my fear of swimming, and went into the salt waters again, and guess what happened next. That’s why I don’t really like swimming anymore.

After that incident, I figured out that when the tide fell,
      there were always large stones there, and living crabs hiding under the stones, which is presumably why people always crowded round there. So, I joined in. I flipped over the stones, and occasionally capturing a tiny crab, only to find it was dead. The only reason I always went home with lots of alive crabs was because people often gave them to
      me for some reason. I would fill a bottle with sea water and put them in there.
      They always died after day two or three, but I did it for the thrill of the (unsuccessful)
      capturing.

One thing I liked above the rest, was that sometimes we would bring the barbecue and some tender meat and invite a lot of friends to come with us. Then, we would grill the meat, and finished it all.

Even though we moved away, we still visit the beach sometimes, in the summer holidays. It has changed a lot, though as long as it’s the same beach, I’m fine with that

Yangyang
      Participant

Hw 4 lesson 1 (idk why it wasn’t uploaded so I will do it again)

Can you believe it? Our teacher set us homework for the summer holidays. “Just make a collage about what you have done this summer. Be sure to add photos!” she said.

Yeah. Just make a collage. She doesn’t seem to realize that we’ve moved on from the age of cameras and collages. But, luckily, me and John found a camera upstairs, and we began taking pictures almost immediately. We were doing pretty well until the camera shutter stopped working. We sat on the sofa, wondering what to do, but my mother made up our minds for us.

“Walk Candy for an hour or so. Count it as your daily exercise.” So, of course having to obey our parents, as children never get the right to speak, we walked Candy down our street and up our street and down our street until John found a camera.

“It’s a Polaroid! Perfect!” he cried excitedly. Then we brought Candy back to the house, and began taking photos. John did a headstand in front of our holiday house, and we checked it out. Weirdly, it showed the picture of a car.

“Why does it show a picture of a car?” I moaned, upset that our discovery turned out to be worthless. So we went back to the hotel and sulked.

Precisely 5 minutes later, a car was parked in front of our house, and my dad came home. He went to the sitting room, and ruffled my hair. “What’s up, Matthew? You look like someone’s dog just died.” he boomed. We could do nothing but stare at my dad, then at the car, then back. Then, a phone rang, and that jerked us out of our daze. “Come on!” I said, jumping up and simultaneously pulling John out of the door. “Let’s see whether this camera actually tells the future!”

So, we went into the lobby and took a picture of me posing with the hotel mascot (a bright orange tiger). And for some reason, this picture showed an unpainted wall. “Where’s the tiger?” John asked me, but I was obviously as blank as him. We went back to our room, and my mother was there, looking at us like she was sorry.

“Kids, the hotel just announced in their app that they were taking the tiger down. I think the crew is arriving in 5 minutes. Want to go have one last picture with him?”

“No need,” I said, grinning madly. “We just did.”

Then I told my mother about our camera, and proved it by showing her the blank wall and the car. When we were done, she was nearly grinning as madly as me.

So, of course, she had to send that to everyone she had as a contact, like, just about 288,890,180. It’s a wild guess, but I, like any kid, have never been personally troubled to check all my mother’s contacts.

Anyway, of course they sent it to the news company, and that night we barely slept at all, due to the fact we drove a 3-hour long drive to a film studio, and then we were posing for the cameras, and me, John and my mother didn’t even make it to the hotel without sleeping. Don’t ask me how, but I was asleep for 2 days.

But that, as I soon figured out, was only a small problem of owning a future-predicting camera.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Yangyang,

You originally uploaded this in the wrong forum and I uploaded your feedback there, but I’ll attach it here too as you must’ve missed it! 😀

Attachments:
      Molly
      Participant

Hello Beth,

Please have a look at my lesson 3 writing.

Thanks

Mollu

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Molly,

Nice work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you  soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 4

In today’s class we looked at writing based on emotion, thinking about the types of 11+ prompts that ask something like ‘Write about a time you felt nervous’. We spoke about how to communicate emotion through word choice (particularly verbs and nouns) and read an extract from Captain Scott’s diary where he demonstrates multiple different emotions through the power of his writing. We learned about the connection between metaphor and emotion, which the class then practiced beautifully, before finally planning answers based on two emotive writing prompts from past 11+ papers. Wonderful work today everyone- you were all super passionate and involved throughout. Well done for all your fab work- see you next week 🙂

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
        Jeff
        Participant

Hi Beth

Here is my homework for Lesson 4.

Jeff

Attachments:
          Beth
          Participant

Hi Jeff,

Super work this week,  I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Tangtang2
      Participant

Hi Beth this is my homework for Lesson 4, thanks for the amazing lesson!:)
      Option 2.
      As sweat drenched me, I nervously wrote, I wrote and wrote and wrote. All my teammates were counting on me, I had pressure piling on me like labour, wiping away my freedom. My knees were numb with anxiety, if I screwed up one question, our team, our school wouldn’t have a chance of getting into the finals. Fear flooded me, drowning me. Scribbling the last few answers down with a shaking hand, the minutes bolted by, robbing me of time.
      A week after, the results were in. Thoughts bubbled inside of me as I imagined the enraged faces of my parents, friends and teachers. “Disgraceful! Given a golden chance and wasted it!” they would say, with vexed expressions whipped on their red faces. A snake of ice slithered silently up my back, sending me to the pit of- “Olivia, you did it! You’re going to the finals of that maths competition, you apparently scored enough at the semi-final! Well done!” my mother cried, tears streaming down her pale cheeks that formed into a river of happiness “Oh, and also, your friends are calling you”.
      “Thanks mom, I can’t wait!” I called, before darting to towering oak door with a mixed variety of emotions: relief, joy and lots more.
      The second I turned the doorknob, cheering came and surrounded me as my best friends hugged me tighter than a koala hugging its branch. All but one congratulated me…
      Thanks again,
      Best wishes,
      Tangtang.

Beth
        Participant

Hi Tangtang,

You’re very welcome!
        Brill work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      tylor
      Participant

My knees were shaking. My eyes were wide. My teeth were chattering. I hadn’t been able to get a good nights sleep in time for the day. The day of the competition. I had been waiting for my moment to do this; I had won the school cross country so why was I so nervous? I had butterflies in my stomach – a whole nest of them – tickling my insides and making me feel sick. I had to do this though. For myself. For the school. For my parents. An avalanche of anxiety crashed into my body in a seething mass, all my preparations seemed worthless. I had checked and double checked everything: my PE clothes, my water bottle and my lunch. I walked to the door and rested my PE bag against the wall as my parents showered me encouraging words.

After they had finished, I crept towards the school, my legs threatening to tip me to the ground as they wobbled like a rickety rocking chair. As I approached the gates, the realisation of this major event smacked me in my face. All around, people praised me, friends clapped me on the back and even the strictest teacher, Mrs Mulch, with her face set in a stern line, gave me a curt nod. Everybody seemed to be encouraging me.

The day dashed by as quickly as a lion pouncing on its prey. Lessons seemed shorter than usual and then it was time for the event. Bleachers lined the sporting ground, the crisp grass trimmed to perfection and the blue sky wrapped around the field.

Kids started coming out through the gates, big and buff with muscle shirts and shorts. Their eyes blocked with wrap around sun glasses. I suddenly felt like a rat in an owl barn. They were the predators. I was the prey.

A teacher approached me; “Why aren’t you wearing your PE kit yet?” she asked.

Uh oh.

Suddenly I remembered leaving my PE bag by the door as I left for school. My cheeks flared red as a London bus,  freshly coated in paint. I felt like somebody had barbecued my face in a slow fire. The other competitors sniggered behind their hands and I heard the crowd whispering away. I wanted a chasm to open up in the ground and swallow me. I felt like the whole world was laughing- no- guffawing at my foolish mistake. My head lolled into my hands. I couldn’t run 3 miles like this. In school trousers and a buttoned up shirt. My uniform would break and thats thinking positive; assuming I didn’t strain a muscle…

Beth
        Participant

Hi Tylor,

Dazzling work this week,  I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      michaelP
      Participant

hi beth

here is my home work

michaelP
        Participant

this is my home work

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

hi Michael,

Some nice work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon  🙂

Attachments:
      Jasmine
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is my HW

🙂 Jasmine

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Jasmine,

Beautiful work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Molly
      Participant

Hi Beth,

So sorry for the delayed submission.

Thanks

Molly

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Molly,

No worries!
        Terrific work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Yangyang
      Participant

hi this is hw read pls rn

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yangyang,

Good work this week, I’ve attached your feedback below. See you soon 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 5 

In today’s class we completed our mock exam which the students did wonderfully- they all were really diligent and focused throughout. Well done everyone for all your imaginative, vibrant and passionate ideas over the past five weeks- I have really enjoyed seeing you all work so creatively! You have all been absolutely brilliant in our classes together and should be proud of everything you’ve achieved- well done everyone and see you soon 🙂

Homework

hmwrk

Attachments:
        Jeff
        Participant

Hi Beth

Here is my homework for Lesson 5.

Jeff

Attachments:
          Beth
          Participant

Lovely work Jeff- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      tylor
      Participant

The Coast

Wind whipped through my hair, an icy gale biting at my skin like a rat, furiously gnawing at every bit of exposed skin. Mud stretched into the distance as far as the eye could see, a swampy terrain looming ahead. Grey clouds bore down on the land, siring up a storm. A sharp sting of saltwater that was carried on the wind blew into my eye. Excruciating pain, pulsed through my head, making my eye sting and my mouth froth. A moan of despair escaped my icy lips, immediately carried away by the wind.

I sighed and picked up my shovel again, a rusted blade on a rotting handle. I hopelessly drove it into the hard earth, straining with the effort, beads of perspiration trickling down my skin…  And the shovel broke. With a horrible, scraping clang, it snapped.

The dull, red telephone box laughed at my futile attempts to get it into place. Frustration pulsed through my aching body, igniting a fire within me and with one furious throw, I sent the remains of the spade, soaring towards the sea like a rag doll. The hungry waves snatched the useless tool out of the air, and it was no more. The surf foamed with delight, relishing the taste of another victim.

I turned my attention back to the telephone box, it was not laughing now, it knew I was in control, it could almost feel my fury roaring like a tiger, the king of the jungle. With one mighty thrust I picked up the box and jammed it where it needed to go.

Pride now pulsed through my veins, I had done the task, I had conquered the challenge. The heavens opened up and rays of sunshine beamed at me, replenishing me after a tiresome task. I turned, and walked away, leaving The Coast behind me.

Beth
        Participant

Outstanding work Tylor- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Yangyang
      Participant

done

There was once a telephone box…

It’s finally the summer holidays, but I am particularly looking forward to this one. Because, we are going to the beach near my old house! We would’ve gone earlier, but because of the coronavirus, the plane tickets have risen enormously in price. $15,000 for a ticket! Crazy.

Anyway, my friend was coming along, so that’s a plus. We packed our bags full of chocolate-chip biscuits and other goodies, but at the last minute, my mom rushed in and checked our bags.
      “Are you seriously bringing CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES on the trip and nothing else? We can buy them cheap at the store round the corner of our holiday house!” She yelled.

Well, we have never packed our own bags before, and also, if she wanted to check, why didn’t she check at a time that wasn’t 1 hour before we left to the airport? I frantically ripped out everything in my bag and put “the necessities” inside.

A few (12, actually) hours later, we were on the taxi to the holiday house, and I was practically dying to see how it has changed. We got out at our holiday house, and I stuffed my suitcase and coat in a random cupboard, and me and John raced out, around the corner, up the hill and down the hill, and around the roundabout and-

“Oh.”

The beach had changed a lot. What was once a lush yellow carpet of sand was now hard rocks and dead jellyfish everywhere. The once blue and 1/4 turquoise sea was now a dull shade of gray, and someone had dumped a telephone box on the hill.

“Let’s try calling our parents!” John said, enthusiastically. We dialed the number, while I looked outside. There were a few seagulls flapping about. One had caught a fish, and the fish was flopping about. There was a plane departing here, and I saw some people dressed up in clothes from the 1940s, looking around nervously. Why was he wearing those clothes?

Suddenly, everything froze, and started to spin.

“Uh, John.” I said.

“Wait a second, just give me a penny and I-WOAH!”

So, the most instinctive thing was to kick our way out. But I figured out, last year, that me and John didn’t have instincts, so we just grabbed each other and shrieked like stuck pigs.

Then, everything stopped spinning, and we were back where we were. The first thing I noticed was the calendar on the side of the beach “maintenance” hut, which maintenances itself only. There was a dog-eared piece of paper on it, with the correct date written on it. I tried looking at it, but I was too dizzy, so I could only make out this:

F92er3by8r1aru9.

Wait what?

I forgot what date it was when we came to the beach, but it definitely did not contain a 1, 9, 3, 8, 2, or the letter F. I checked my watch date, which was closer, so at least I could read it better.

At first it said 2th9 Fbe 1389, but then my dizziness finally went away, so I read it again.

29th Feb 1938.

Uh oh. I shook John awake. “John! John!”

He mumbled something like “leave me alone I’m calling a banana” and went back to sleep,

When I finally got him awake and told him everything, he scratched his hair and said: “But your watch could also be malfunctioning. Lets ask someone about the date.”

That was a good idea. But when we came out, I noticed we were in a city, with people wearing clothes from the 1940s everywhere. So we stopped a person in a long tailcoat and a top hat.

Now, I would like to say I was the one with more courage, but then I would be lying. I was actually cowering behind John, while he stepped forward and asked:

“Excuse me, sir, what date is it?”

The man stopped and stared at John. “Today is the 29th of February, 1938. Now please do not contact me in any way in future.”

Then he walked away, unaware we were from the future.

“What is your parents phone number?” John asked me.

“Um, 292-1938-000

“So, 29 is the date, 2 is the month, and 1938 is the year.” John said.

“So, if we typed in a number similar to that…”

“We would go to that date…

“And so that means…”

“WE HAVE A TIME MACHINE!”

“Lets go and explore the future!” I said. Well, easier said than done. A person was entering the telephone box, and the telephone box disappeared in a flash of light. No one else seemed to have noticed.

Oh no. What are we going to do now?

Me and John stared at each other, and we knew the answer.

We had to find another time machine.

Bingce
      Participant

The telephone.

Trudging across the beach Tom spotted the old, rusty, red telephone ; it was standing in the middle of nowhere like a lost child whiling for someone to come and find his parents. The coast was surrounded by the swirling sea and stormy sky. Slumped agenised a tree trunk, he let out a huge sigh. He collected some seaweed then threw them across the beach.

There wasn’t a grain of sand anywhere and he had been told that it would have a golden ark of warm sand and precious palm trees that stood like green umbrellas. This was the opposite. Not a ray of sunlight came though the dark dense clouds. He bet the clouds were at least a hundred miles long and wide. The telephone was ringing then he picked it up the person calling was his mother then he realized he was at the wrong place

Tom tried sailing to the point where his mother would meet him but realised he didn’t know how to sail then he used a speedboat and arrived there! After about twenty minuets he spotted a white seaplane with a propeller and it landed. Soon, he was at the beach paridice playing with the waterslide and swimming in the crystal clear sea

Beth
        Participant

Wonderful work Bingce- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Jasmine
      Participant

Hi beth

here is my mock

Have a nice summer, like your lessons so much

Jasmine 🙂 🙂

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Incredible work Jasmine- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Yangyang
      Participant

edited version:

There was once a telephone box…

It’s finally the summer holidays, but I am particularly looking forward to this one. Because, we are going to the beach near my old house! We would’ve gone earlier, but because of the coronavirus, the plane tickets have risen enormously in price. $15,000 for a ticket! Crazy.

Anyway, my friend was coming along, so that’s a plus. I packed my bags full of chocolate-chip biscuits and other goodies, but a few days later, my mom rushed in my room and checked my bags.
      “Are you seriously bringing CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES on the trip and nothing else? We can buy them cheap at the store round the corner of our holiday house!” She yelled frantically.

Well, I have never packed our own bags before, and also, if she wanted to check, why didn’t she check at a time that wasn’t 1 hour before we left to the airport? I ripped out everything in my bag at the speed of light and put “the necessities” inside.

A few (12, actually) hours later, we were on the bumpy taxi to the holiday house, and I was practically dying in the backseat to see how it has changed. We got out at our holiday house, and I stuffed my suitcase and coat in the nearest cupboard (which was a shoe cupboard, and full of spiders, but I didn’t care), and me and John raced out, around the corner, up the hill and down the hill, and around the roundabout and-

“Oh.”

The beach had changed a lot. What was once a lush yellow carpet of sand was now hard rocks and dead jellyfish everywhere. The once blue and 1/4 turquoise sea was now a dull shade of gray, and someone had dumped a dirty old telephone box on the hill that had a sign that said NO LITTERING. Absolutely ironic.

“Let’s try calling our parents!” John said, enthusiastically. We dialed the number on the moldy keypad, while I looked outside. There were a few white and grey seagulls flapping about. One had caught a fish, and the fish was flopping about. There was a plane departing here, and I saw a person dressed up in clothes from, like, about the 3000s, looking around, absolutely panicked. Why was he wearing those clothes?

Suddenly, everything froze, and started to spin.

“Uh, John.” I said.

“Wait a second, just give me a penny and I-WOAH!”

So, the most instinctive thing was to kick our way out. But I figured out, last year, when both me and John got pushed off the big slide in the water park, that me and John didn’t have instincts, so we just grabbed each other and shrieked like stuck pigs.

Then, everything stopped spinning, and we were back where we were. The first thing I noticed was the calendar on the side of the beach “maintenance” hut, the only one with paint on, which maintenances itself only except there was one difference. The luminous-green paint was supposed to be peeling, but it was looking freshly painted, with a sign that said WARNING WET PAINT. There was a dog-eared piece of paper on it, with the correct date written on it. It would have been a calendar, but they were “on budget” (actually they were broke), so they never changed it to a calendar. It has been like that since, I don’t know, 1900. I tried looking at it, but I was too dizzy, so I could only make out this:

F92er3by8r1aru9.

Wait what?

I forgot what date it was when we came to the beach, but it definitely did not contain a 1, 9, 3, 8, 2, or the letter F. I checked my watch date, which was closer, so at least I could read it better.

At first it said 2th9 Fbe 1389, but then my dizziness finally went away, so I read it again.

29th Feb 1938.

Uh oh. I shook John awake. “John! John!”

He mumbled something like “leave me alone I’m calling a banana” and went back to sleep,

When I finally got him awake and told him everything, he scratched his hair and said: “But your watch could also be malfunctioning. Lets ask someone about the date.”

That was a good idea. But when we came out, I noticed we were in a city, with people wearing clothes from the 1940s everywhere. So we stopped a person in a long tailcoat and a top hat.

Now, I would like to say I was the one with more courage, but then I would be lying. I was actually cowering behind John, while he stepped forward and asked:

“Excuse me, sir, what date is it?”

The man stopped and stared at John. “Today is the 29th of February, 1938. Now please do not contact me in any way in future.”

Then he walked away, unaware we were from the future.

“What is your parents phone number?” John asked me.

“Um, 292-1938-000

“So, 29 is the date, 2 is the month, and 1938 is the year.” John said.

“So, if we typed in a number similar to that…”

“We would go to that date…

“And so that means…”

“WE HAVE A TIME MACHINE!”

“Lets go and explore the future!” I said. Well, easier said than done. A person was entering the telephone box, and the telephone box disappeared in a flash of light. No one else seemed to have noticed.

Oh no. What are we going to do now?

Me and John stared at each other, and we knew the answer.

We had to find another time machine.

Beth
        Participant

Captivating work Yangyang- well done 🙂

Attachments:
Viewing 35 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar