Lesson 4(long paper)

Bancrofts 2017

Lesson 5 (long paper)

Bancroft 2016

Lesson 6 

Caterham 2019

Lesson 7

Dulwich College Specimen Paper

Lesson 8 (There is no A from their website)

Highgateschool Exemplar 2

Highgateschool Sample D

Lesson 9 (Multiple Choice)

Lesson 10

Mock Test

Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 1

In today’s lesson we began our work on 11+ comprehension. Today we focused on consolidating an overview of the most important skills for comprehension, thinking about how literary analysis is a collaboration between author and reader, the four central question types (simple evidence, P.E.E., in your own words, meaning of words and phrases) and the ways in which the students should train their brain to think for the 11+ exams or similar comprehension tests. We worked closely with the paper assigned to today’s lesson, focusing on the questions the students found the most difficult and working out how to analyse and understand the papers themselves. We spoke at length about particularly vivid images, such as those found in the Lizzie’s Tiger extract, analysing the meaning of key quotations such as “eyes like yellow coins” and thinking about the effect of metaphor, simile and other key techniques. Amazing work today everyone- you were passionate and engaged all lesson and came up with super impressive analysis throughout. Well done and keep up the great work 🙂

P.S. The answers and PPT are both attached below!

Summing Up 

hmwrk

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 2

In today’s lesson we continued our work on comprehension, focusing today on imagery and how to analyse it. We thought about specificity in imagery and how the preciseness of the language will often determine how effective the image is. We spoke about the five types of imagery (visual, auditory, gustatory, olfactory, tactile) and the notion of images that have symbolic resonance to them. The class analysed a piece of unseen figurative language, applying the language of connotations to their analysis and thinking about the intended effect, before using these skills on the past paper from this week. They wrote their own examples of vivid imagery, ones that focused particularly on communicating a symbolic idea or emotion, and we finished with a rundown of the questions the students wanted to discuss from the past papers and had a look at an annotated passage. Wonderful ideas today everyone, well done for all your fab work and see you next week 🙂

Imagery video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX413tALG7Q&t=8s

Summing Up

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 3

In today’s lesson we focused on suspense and inference skills. We began the lesson with some figurative analysis of a metaphor, before moving on to focusing on this week’s paper, considering in particular a question on suspense and a question on inference. We learned about the ways in which tension is created by an author (i.e., raising the stakes, internal conflict, conflict between characters) and thought about how to use quotations in a super analytical way. Brilliant work today everyone, particularly when thinking about metaphor. Keep up the great work and see you next week 🙂

Tension creation video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXf2h7NVB_0

Summing Up 

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 4

In today’s class we focused on how to properly analyse literary techniques in the context of the 11+, thinking carefully about keeping the writer’s purpose in mind. We discussed and unpicked the purpose and effect of figurative language, discussing techniques for working out how the writer wants their reader to respond to the language they use. The class then applied this to the paper from this week brilliantly, looking at examples such as the “truthful rooms” quote and analysing the way personification and light imagery are used here. Finally, we spoke about the use of quotations and how to avoid repeating analysis. Lovely work everyone, well done for all your great ideas. See you next week 🙂

Metaphor video you can watch to help think about these ideas more deeply: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv-o2WNM6hU&feature=emb_logo

Summing Up 

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 5

In today’s lesson we reached the halfway point of our course and so began the lesson with some literary analysis, before focusing on poetic analysis and the “meaning of words and phrases” question type. We looked at analysing a metaphor from the text that had been a little more difficult, thinking about being confident in our own interpretations and not over-thinking answers that require creative interpretations. Then, we looked at the specific features of poetry that can be analysed to determine the mood or atmosphere of a poem, such as meter and rhythm. Finally, we finished up with some discussion of the more difficult questions in this week’s texts. Great work today everyone, you all shared brilliant points and were super clocked in and hard-working today. Keep up the wonderful work 🙂

Figurative language video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2CRxHOgxBM&t=23s

Meter video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S13Tg3RAUW4

Summing Up

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 6

In today’s class we continued our comprehension sessions, thinking today about digging into language. We began with our metaphor exercise, considering the wider meaning of the language used and thinking about the symbolic significance of the imagery. We then went through the paper for this week, focusing particularly on questions that looked at the meaning of words and phrases. The class then spoke on the connotations of the ‘half-choked’ metaphor and thought about the ways in which the violent connotations of this contrasted with the peaceful setting. We then went through the paper together, focusing on high-mark questions in particular. Good work today everyone, keep it up and remember not to be intimidated by high-markers; they are just the same as a 3 marker but you have to put multiple 3 markers together. See you next week 🙂

Connotation video to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2efQrHdqbgQ&t=4s

Summing Up

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 7

In today’s lesson, the class focused on character and in your own words. We focused on several question types, thinking about P.E.E., meaning of words and phrases and finally working on the foundations of ‘in your own words’ questions, using structure as a lens through which to view these. Finally, we touched on in your own words and how to change up sentence structure to help make their answers more sophisticated. Lovely work from the class today as usual- you were all really engaged and clocked in throughout. Your work on metaphor at the beginning of the lesson was particularly fantastic this week too. Excellent work class, see you soon 🙂

Summing Up 

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 8

In today’s lesson we worked on high-mark questions (those worth six or more marks) thinking about how to structure these answers and how to use topic sentences and concluding sentences to frame an argument. We worked on a passage from Heart of Darkness, thinking about how to apply P.E.E. to this in a way that creates sharp, astute analysis. We also looked at some general ideas of elements of a piece to analyse and spoke about different approaches to P.E.E. where you can identify the quotations you want to analyse before coming up with your overall point. Fantastic and attentive work from the class today, we had some great contributions throughout the lesson. Well done everyone- remember to check for the multiple choice answers before the next lesson so by the time you come to class you have your work marked in preparation and know which questions you found difficult or strange. See you next week! 🙂

Metaphor video from today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0edKgL9EgM

Summing Up 

sum

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Answers for today:

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Answers for the multiple choice- remember to check 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 9

In today’s class we ran through our multiple choice paper, thinking about the unique challenges and benefits of this exam type and carefully examining the two papers attached to this week. We looked at the papers carefully, going through each answer and the explanations for them, before having a Q&A session on the exam. Finally, we finished up with some final revision and a few key tips for comprehension exams in general. Fantastic work today everyone- well done for all your concentration and great ideas. See you next week and remember to revise for our exam and read all the tips below. Remember you can post any questions you think of in the meantime and well done for today! 🙂

Summing Up 

hmwrk

Attachments:
      JamesZ
      Participant

Dear Beth

Thank you for all of the amazing lesson. Here’s my mock exam. Enjoy your other courses!

James

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi James,

You are super welcome- I am so happy you enjoyed our course!

Phenomenal work on your mock- well done 🙂

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

MOCK ANSWERS ATTACHED

Well done everyone- fantastic work on your mocks! Here are the answers- remember to read them over 🙂

Attachments:
          Beth
          Participant

Oops sorry wrong place! Will repost below 🙂

Yichen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is my mini mock. I am really sad that the course is over. Hope to be in your other courses! Hope you can read my handwriting!

Kind Regards,

Yichen

Attachments:
        Yichen
        Participant

last page here.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Yichen,

I am sad it’s over too! So glad you enjoyed it and definitely hope to see you again soon!

Wonderful work on your mock- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Ethan
      Participant

Dear beth

I am so sad to be having no more lessons with you for a few weeks but enjoy your easter holiday!

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Ethan,

I know- it was so much fun working with you all! I will hopefully see you in future courses though & Happy Easter.

Incredible work on your mock- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Beth
      Participant

Summary for Lesson 10

In today’s class we completed our mock exam, spending the first few minutes of the lesson to ask any questions before moving on to the exam itself. The students then worked fantastically and energetically to complete their exams, which I was very impressed by. Finally they reflected on their work and we wrapped up for this course. Amazing work today and over the past ten weeks class- you have all worked really hard and I’ve been very impressed by your passion and commitment to learning. You are all wonderful, interested and enthusiastic students and it’s been a pleasure working with you all. I will see you in the next course 🙂

Summing Up 

hmwrk

Attachments:
      Emili
      Participant

Hi Beth,

I am really sad about the course ending. Enjoy you Easter Holidays! Here is my last mock test

Thank. you so much.

Emili (Emily Pang)

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Emily,

Ahh I am so sad it is ending too- I will see you all again soon though. Happy Easter to you too & you are very welcome!

Lovely work on your mock- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Claire
      Participant

Dear Beth,

Here is my Mock Test. Have a nice day and see you soon!

Kind Regards,

Claire

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Claire,

Have a lovely day & I will see you very soon!

Exquisite work on your mock- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      Shangchen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Here is my mock test.

Have a great day and see you in the next course!!!

Shangchen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Shangchen,

Have a lovely day & I will see you very soon!

Wonderful work on your mock- well done 🙂

Attachments:
      imposter tze
      Participant

Hi Beth,

This is for Tze’s mock.

Thanks.

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

Hi Tze,

I hope you had a lovely Easter & will see you soon!

Excellent work on your mock- well done. 🙂

Attachments:
      Yichen
      Participant

Hi Beth,

Sorry for forgetting top upload it. Thanks for your great teaching.

Yichen

Attachments:
        Beth
        Participant

heya Yichen- this is the wrong forum, could you upload to the right one?

So glad you enjoyed- see you soon 🙂

Beth
      Participant

MOCK ANSWERS ATTACHED

Well done everyone- fantastic work on your mocks! Here are the answers- remember to read them over 🙂

Attachments:
Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar